township is located in the southeastern corner of the county, and
takes its name from the fact that many of its early settlers were
from the State of Ohio, and named their township in honor of the
Buckeye land. It is bounded on the east by Warren county, on the
west by Walnut township, on the south by Clarke county, and on the
north by South township. The surface is drained by South river and a
number of small streams. The general character of the township is
that of beautiful prairie land, perfectly fitted for farming
purposes. Along the streams there is a good growth of timber. Back
from the streams is high, rolling prairie of the richest soil. There
is a plentiful supply of water, and some of the springs in this
township never freeze in winter.
township was not settled until a comparatively late day. Andrew Hart
and M. S. Douglas were its first settlers. They came in 1854. They
were both rebels and when the war broke out, they sold out and moved
South. Noah Bishop, John Cregor, Henry Cregor, Solomon Delong, A. G.
Martin, William Farson, and J. D. Hartman, also settled here at an
early day. Since then the township has settled up rapidly.
schools and churches are found in this township, and the people
generally are of the best class.
following are the township officers: Justices - A. J. Fansher, John
Howe; Trustees - V. McPherson, Thomas Hartman, William Scott;
Constable - Moffatt Cregor; Assessor - H. H. Hollinshead; Clerk -
John W. Mann.
Oak Run Church of Friends was organized May 18, 1871, with the
following original members: T. C. Moorman, R. A. Moorman, Mary
Hiatt, E. Hiatt, David Ellis, M. E. Ellis, Calvin Ellis, E. Ellis,
William Woodward, E. Woodward, J. Simmons, E. J. Simmons, W. H.
Bishop, M. Bishop, Q. Pierce and Virginia Pierce. The pastors have
been John Coffin and John Woods. The present building was formerly a
school-house, but was purchased by the Friends for their own use. It
was dedicated to religious uses in 1877.
first Friend Quakers to settle here were: T. C. Moorman, Dosha
Moorman, W. N. Moorman, Jesse Painter, Susannah Painter, T. P.
Moorman, Rhoda Moorman, David and Martha Ellis.
below is Ohio Township as it appeared in 1875. There were
about 150 families living there at the time the map was made
although only 2 are shown. The South River is the primary watershed in
the south half of the township and the Hay Branch which joins
Clanton Creek in the north half. Of the three cemeteries active in 1875,
only the Young cemetery was shown by the map maker. The skew of
the square forming Ohio Township is exaggerated by about double.