township is bounded on the north by Lincoln township, on the south
by Union county, on the east by Walnut township and on the west by
surface of this township is generally rough and broken, and there
is considerable waste land. In places, however, are as fine spots
for farming as could be desired. The township is drained mainly by
Clanton creek, which passes through the center from west to east.
Along its banks there is a fine body of timber and also quarries
of good limestone.
township is well watered, and has been found better adapted to
stock-raising than to farming. The former business has been
pursued with considerable success.
Irishman named Malone, and James Britton and Isaac Nichol, are
among its earliest settlers. They settled here as early as 1852.
William Boling, John Bancroft, Lewis and George Linton, Phillip
and John Moore, William Claim, kWilliam Berry and John Berry
settled in the township in 1853 and 1854. Frank kBosworth, Samuel
Hamilton, N. Clark and H. Harris settled here soon afterward.
following are the officers of this township: Justice - J. J.
Berry; Trustees - Z. Bertholf, S. J. Callison, Walter Needs;
Constables - W. L. Wilson, James H. Berry; Assessor - S. H.
WAtkins; Clerk - J. L. Peters.
below is Monroe Township as it appeared in 1875. There were
about 100 families living there at the time the map was made
although only 1 is shown. Clanton Creek is the primary watershed in
the north half of the township and South Clanton Creek in the
south half. Both of them eventually empty into the South
River in Warren County. Of the three cemeteries active in 1875,
only the Hamblin cemetery was shown by the map maker. Clanton and
Kasson were small towns in 1875 that eventually were abandoned.