This is one of the best townships in the county, although there is not much to be said about it from an historic standpoint. It is bounded on the north by Penn, on the south by Webster, on the east by Douglas, and on the west by Adair county. It is drained by North river, which passes through it from west to east. The general surface is that of the best farming land to be found in all this part of the country - a high, rolling prairie of unsurpassed fertility. Timber and stone are convenient, and excellent water abounds.
The township was first settled in 1850, by Alfred Rice and a man named Phelon. These men sold their claims to the next new-comers, Willis Rose and Samuel Bunn. The next settler was O. B. Bissell.
The township settled up rapidly, and has grown steadily almost from the outset.
The first school was taught by the Rev. John E. Darby, who lived in this township for several years.
The following are the present township officers: Justices - H. Lee, Wm. Mabbitt; Trustees - Wm. Norman, J. S. Phillips, M. W. Brown; Constable - G. M. Shuck; Assessor - John W. Eppard; Clerk - O. B. Bissell.
The Union U. P. Church was organized September 4, 1869, with the following original members: Samuel and Elizabeth Thompson, Alex. and Martha Bell, Samuel and Maggie Ralston, W. B. McKemson, Jennette McKemson and others, to the number of thirty five. Rev. T. C. McCaughan was pastor until June, 1875. He was followed by James Sawhill, the present pastor. The church building is a frame, cost $1,500, and was dedicated June 1, 1873. The present membership is eighty-two. Joseph Baird, Wm. Reed, Alex. Bell and J. C. Allen are elders; James Beck and J. W. Moore, deacons.