Herman A. Mueller, 1915
is a thriving little village of about 325 inhabitants, situated on
the summit of the divide between Clanton Creek and South River, overlooking a most beautiful, fertile and well improved farming
district. It stands on section 15 and the center of Ohio Township,
on the line of the Des Moines & Kansas City (Chicago Great
Western) Railroad, and was laid out and platted August 3, l881,
for the owner, James Hull, by Robert A. Patterson, surveyor. In
1902 the town was incorporated and the first mayor was W. W.
This stirring and progressing little trading point was first named
Ego, but that seemed too bombastic or egotistical (no pun
intended), and the change was made within a short time to the
present name. As in the township, the village has splendid
schools, taught in a modern two-story brick building; church
societies, whose places of worship are neat in appearance and
commodious, and all well attended. As a trading point the town
stands high and with good railroad facilities has established a
reputation as a shipping point for grain and live stock.
The first post office was established February 10, 1862, but was
located near the west line, in Walnut Township, in the vicinity of
Ebenezer Church. The office at tills point was discontinued in 1889. James
W. Smith and Samuel M. Walker performed the duties of the office,
in the store of the place, nearly twenty years, and when the
office was abolished Fred Beeler had been the postmaster eight
An office was established in 1881 at the southeast corner of the
northeast quarter of section 21, and named Reed. Isaac
Holmes was appointed postmaster. In 1882 the office was
moved to Ego, and the name became Truro in 1884. Isaac Holmes remained in the office for some time after
the change. Then followed George N. Skinner, George Patton, John
D. Hillman, Ella Earl, James W. Smith and others, among whom were
the early business men of the town.
Probably the first person to engage in business at Truro was James Watson Smith. He settled in
with his parents, John and Rebecca Smith, in 1854 coming from Illinois
that year. He married Belle C. Walker in 1870 and for a number of
years was a teacher in the public schools. Mr. Smith was elected
county treasurer in 1901 and served five years, and afterwards
engaged in the grocery business. He died in 1914 at East
Peru, and was buried in the Ebenezer Cemetery.
The Truro Savings Bank is one of the institutions of the town that
has secured a firm footing in the confidence of the community. It
is an outgrowth of the Truro Bank, established in the spring of
1899 by J. W. Likens and W. M. Steer, who began business in a
one-story brick building erected for the purpose. Here the
business was continued as a private bank until April 10, 1911, on
which date the Truro Savings Bank was organized by J. W. Likens,
W. M. Steer, William O. Creger, James T. Creger, John C. Reed,
Charles N. Reed and Benton Jones, with a capital of $20.000. The
first officials were : President, W. .M. Steer; vice president, J.
W. Likens; cashier, J. E. Walker. In January, 1913, J. W. Likens
succeeded W. M. Steer as president and John C. Reed was elected
vice president. Mr. Reed died May 31, 1914, and was followed in
the vice presidency by Benton Jones. The present official list is made up by J. W. Likens,
president; Benton Jones, vice president; J. E. Walker, cashier; A.
C. Holmes, assistant cashier. The capital stock is $20,000;
surplus, $10,000; deposits, $105,000.
The Christian Church was organized in the winter of 1856, by Adam
D. Kellison, at the home of Ephraim Delong, about two miles south
of the present Town of Truro. For some time the meetings were held at private houses. Later,
after schoolhouses were built, the meetings were held in the
Banner schoolhouse, two miles northeast of the center of Ohio Township. Later, in the early '70s, the meetings were moved to a
schoolhouse one mile south of the center of the township, known as
the Hartman schoolhouse. In 1875-6 the society erected a church
building 30x40 feet, three-fourths of a mile south of the center
of the township and about 1884 the building was moved to Truro and was remodeled in 1893. In June, 1898, the building was struck
by lightning and burned. The society received $1,000 insurance and
the same year a new church was erected and dedicated in the spring
of 1899. The value of the property at that time was about two
thousand two hundred dollars. In 1911 the church was remodeled at
a cost of about one thousand two hundred dollars. The present
value of the property is about three thousand two hundred dollars.
Among the charter members of the first organization were Ephraim
Delong, Hannah Delong, Jesse Delong, Betsy Delong, Reuben A.
Creger, Mary A. Creger, Jane McNealy, Rhoda Delong, John Creger,
Mahala Creger and Risby Creger.
Those who have served as pastors of the church are: Revs. Adam D.
Kellison, William Deal, J. Z. Bishop, J. H. Creger, Reuben A,
Creger, Joseph Anshultz, C. C. Rowley, A. Bradfield, A. H. Chase,
S. O. Calvin, W. C. Smith, W. B. Golden, J. L. Towner, J. O.
Elwell, E. Fitzgerald, Lamb, P. W. Jellison, John Reed, O. E.
Brown, A. Thomas, William Bagley, A. C. Burnham, D. W. Thompson,
A. W. Ricker, R. C. Helfenstein, D. Powell, E. E. Bennett and F.
has not yet given itself over to the organization of fraternal
societies to any great extent. However, it has two or three which
may be mentioned. There is Ivy Lodge, No. 483, A. F. & A. M.,
which was organized on the 8th of June, 1887, by Samuel M. Creger,
who was the worshipful master; G. W. Patterson, senior warden, and
J. F. Worthing, junior warden. Truro Lodge No. 330, K. P., was
organized on the 11th of August,
1898, by C. W. Young, B. R. Rankin, J. W. Likens and twenty-two
others. The Woodmen of the World is also established here in Truro
Camp, No. 9823.
by Kent Transier