Herman A. Mueller
The first town platted that afterwards became obsolete was the
Town of Richmond. Dr. Emanuel J. Henkel, a brother of John Henkel, and Mrs. O. M.
Archer of Truro, came to Madison County about 1848, and took a claim on Jonesí Creek about where the N.
P. Pomeroy farm is located. Later he took a claim in the southeast
quarter of Section 12, Scott Township, and on July 25, 1849 had A.D. Jones to lay out the Town of
Richmond in the SW Qtr of the SE Qtr of Section 12, Scott Township
which land is now owned by Francis Granger. This is west of the
Hogan Queen stone house and across the road from William Carney.
The plat consisted of four blocks of eight lots each. The streets
were sixty feet wide except Broadway which was 82 !/2 feet wide.
The streets running east and west were called High, Broadway and
Grove; those running north and south, Line, Center Avenue, and Spring Street. He gave to Alfred D. Jones, the surveyor, all
the lots in Blocks one and three. The streets and alleys were
dedicated and donated to the public so long as the Town shall
exist. This was done July 30th, 1849, and the plat was recorded by
Enos Berger, Recorder, August 27, 1849. Mr. Henkel then built a
double log cabin for a store building.
A post office was established here July 16, 1850 with Emanuel J.
Henkel as Postmaster. The Post Office was called Amazon. The
Doctor attended to the Post Office and practiced medicine, while
he had a man to operate his store. The Post Office was
discontinued October 31, 1851, the store removed, and this was the
end of Richmond. The Doctor moved to
Union County, Iowa, and before the War of 1861 went to Arkansas, and after the beginning of the War, was never heard from. His
relatives think that he was foully dealt with for his being a
by Kent Transier