the History & Business
County, Iowa, J. J.
Peru.—This is the name of a small village situated in Walnut
township, in section three. The town was laid out in 1853 by
Aaron Hiatt, who was proprietor of the land on which it was
located. The town now contains one store, one blacksmith shop, one
cabinet and wagon shop, one shingle manufactory, one steam
sawmill, one church, fifteen or twenty private residences, and
about seventy Inhabitants. A large stone school-house is in
process of erection at the present time In the village.
note: Peru is another town that fell victim to being bypassed by
the railroad. In this case, most of what was in Peru was moved to
East Peru to be nearby the tracks.
and edited by Kent Transier