Madison County

HISTORY OF HEATON

 

HEATON

From the History & Business Directory

 of Madison County Iowa, J. J. Davies, 1869

 

        A man named Heaton, who resides in Pennsylvania, owns a section of land near the center of the township. The whole section lays high and dry, but gently rolling, in almost every direction, making it as grand as a garden spot. 

        In 1858, Mr. Heaton laid off and staked this land into lots, with the intention of making a town there. It was his Intention to build a large seminary there, to cost not less than $100,000. Many of the lots were contracted for at prices ranging from fifty to three hundred dollars each, and great expectations for a thriving town were raised. In the Summer of 58, Mr. Heaton, and quite a large number of citizens met on the ground, and speeches were made by B. F. Roberts and others, setting forth the great importance of a Seminary of learning at this point, etc. By the terms of sale, two-fifths of all money received for sale of lots was to be given towards the building of the seminary, and the remaining three-fifths was to draw six per cent Interest, which was also applied for the benefit of the institution. Heaton, before leaving, executed a bond, in the sum of $50,000, which Is registered in the Madison county records, for the faithful application of all moneys accruing according to the terms of the contract. From some cause, which we are unable to give, the praiseworthy enterprise was abandoned, and there is nothing at this day to show for the town of Heaton, but the stakes that were driven in the ground to mark out the lots.

 

 

Transcribed and edited by Kent Transier

 

Maintained by the County Coordinator

This page was last updated Thursday, 13-Apr-2017 15:53:20 CDT .