Madison County




 by Minnie Gear


      In the Southern part of  Madison County on the Chicago Great Western Railway, near South Clanton Creek-back in 1887- I was born. 

     Surrounded by hills on the South-covered with oak, hickory, walnut and elm-and many others - with flowers blooming all summer, and the most wonderful sight that ever met an eye when the frost had nipped the trees and the leaves have turned to the most beautiful shades of red, orange and brown and russett and where the red man used to hunt the deer, wild-life including wild turkey, prairie chicken and all edible beasts, in an early day. The little Clanton Creek furnished water for the early settlers cattle and my trees furnished fuel for the early settlers family fires. To the North of me were the rolling hills of the farm lands that wonder who I am …. I am Barney. Perhaps you say that sounds like a horses name. Worse than that, it is a mule’s name. Now I’ll tell you how I happened.

      When the Chicago Great Western Railroad was being laid through here, there were contingents working with horses and mules to lay the road bed. Near where the town site was, there was a contingent of men working with some mules and one day one of the mules took sick and died and was buried near the town site. The mules name being Barney, one man said, “Why not call the town Barney” and Barney it was and the name still clings to the remnant that is left. After the railroad was finished, Barney began to grow but now only five families are living here. Hence, the story. Name, “Barney - The Ghost Town”

      Let us begin with the construction of the railroad, and incidents connected with it before we talk of the town proper. The railroad was finished in 1887 and in that year the first train ran over it. Well to be remembered was the advent of the first train. Neighbors stood in their yards and all the highways and watched the train, the steam monster, as it puffed up the grade toward Lorimor. Such remarks as “see it” “watch it” “look at it” were spoken over and over and they wondered who ever could invent such a thing. We will give this honor to a man named Cooper, as he is the man who invented the steam locomotive which was so helpful in the settlement of our countries, but as time rolled by it gave way in a manner to newer and seemingly better inventions.

      Barney served as a great shipping point in the early and middle days, as farmers shipped their live stock to various points such as St. Joe and Chicago. Previous to the railroads, farmers used to drive their hogs to  Murray to be taken on the C. B. & Q. railroad. As this was quite a distance to drive their hogs, there was likelihood of some of the hogs giving out, but the thoughtful farmer always had team and wagon along and would load the exhausted animals into the wagon and take them the remainder of the way.  The new railroad was a great asset to the surrounding country, near our little town. When shipping began at Barney, it was quite a day. When hogs were brought in, there would be strings of teams and wagons carrying them. People would start early in the morning to avoid the blistering heat of the sun. Many would be carrying cans of water to sprinkle over the hogs in case they became too hot. The day before the hogs were delivered, buyers would go around through the outlying districts and purchase them. Two well known buyers for Barney were John Peterson and V. L. Callison who were in competition in the buying field. Mr. Callison always traveling by team and buggy and Johnnie by riding a buckskin pony. Quite an event, well remembered by both old timers and also middle timers.

      As a shipping point, Barney at one time was the biggest little shipping point between St. Joe and Chicago. After the advent of the railroad and trains, of course, they had to be taken care of….such as depot agents and section men who cared for the upkeep of the tracks. Our very first agent was Steve Magner, who later moved and raised a family in Lorimor. Then followed such agents as Johnnie Sawer, Mr. Byers whose family lived in the depot, Robert McKinney, Bud Rockafellow, a lady Mrs. VanSout, Tom Fisher being the last to serve, serving until the station was discontinued.

    One of our greatest section bosses was Joseph Scott, who served in that capacity for several years then moved to Benton where he and Mrs. Scott spent their remaining years. Our railroad soon became a very progressive one and during that time there were six daily passenger trains, three from the North and three from the South. No. 1 came through between 8:00 and 9:00 A.M.; No. 5 came at 1:00 P.M., No. 3 about midnight. Those from the south 6:30 A.M., one at 6:30 P.M. and one about 2:45 P.M.  These were very handy for the shoppers who wished to shop at Lorimor taking No. 5 at 1:00 P.M. and returning at 6:30 P.M.

      In the fall of the year when the State Fair was in progress, people from the vicinity could board the North bound train at 6:30 A.M. and return at Midnight. Many people took advantage of this schedule.

      A few of the incidents that happened in connection with the railroad for instance:  About 6:30 one morning as a freight came pounding down the track at a good clip and as it neared the Macumber crossing there was a screech, a groan of wheels and spreading of the rails derailing at least two cars spilling along the tracks bushels of peaches. In no time people began to arrive to see the wreck. In the next few hours the peaches began to disappear and many of them wound up in shiny glass jars in several cellars. Another time a large bull attempted to cross the long railroad bridge. The train had to stop and the conductor led the animal which was gentle, to safety. Many times the train had to stop for funeral processions to cross the track which was at the foot of a long hill leading to the Cemetery. So much for activities of the railroad …. the activities that have been taken over to a great extent by motor trucks and the replacement of the steam engine by the Diesel.


      Let us visit or name some of Barneys earliest families who were the basic ones. First Dick Beardsley’s family consisting of Dick, his wife Sophia, sons - John, Arch, Warren and Sanford, daughters - Posy and Lizzie. All were musically inclined - John playing horn, Arch a wind instrument, Warren the violin,  Sanford the drums, Posy the organ or piano, and Lizzie the organ or piano. A very friendly family with the latch key out at all times for friends or visitors. Generally the music teachers made this home their stopping place while teaching music throughout the vicinity. Our first music teacher was Laura Mueller from near McBride. One time she gave a wonderful recital in our big hall which was well attended and proved a great inspiration to the parents. Our next teacher was Georgie Carter of  St. Charles who rode a pony while going to her pupils homes. Then came Hannah Johnson of Murray, Blanche Wright of  Des Moines .  Hannah Johnson later married Elias Simpson and made her home in our community for many years and was a great help in all social music functions as well as the  Church Circle.

      The Beardsley family were great in promoting such musical enterprises. Only two of the family survive at this time. Posy, living in  Shannon City and Dude, as Lizzie was familiarly called. She married John Dutcher and they live in  Des Moines . Five children blessed this home … three girls and two sons. One son is an announcer over a radio and TV station. Thus one of our basic families have been gone these many years and have built foundations elsewhere.

      Our second basic family was that of David Fisher, his wife Mary, and four children - two girls and two boys. The girls Mrs. Godfrey and Mrs. Tarbell … the boys Elwood and Thomas. Mrs. Fisher should be called the Mother of our Sunday School. She was our first teacher in our school house. She was so steady in her attendance and zealous in her work. She taught the young girls to sew and do different kinds of needle work. Her daughter, Mrs. Godfrey, was very talented…studied voice in  Paris,  France and has given several of her wonderful songs in our Church and Sunday School programs. Mrs. Tarbell’s home was in  St. Joseph, Missouri. Elwood married and lived in  Kansas. Thomas was married to Nellie Read and lived in the home place in Barney. They raised a large family…five sons and three daughters. The children are widely scattered. Madeline lived with her father in the home after her Mother’s death until her Father passed away in 1955. She now lives with her sister Mabel in Des Moines.

      Our third basic family was the Ben Rankins, his wife Verdie and two sons, Orville and Frank. He operated a General Store and she was a great worker in our Church and Sunday School … helping to train the children for programs. She played the organ and had a beautiful voice for singing. She helped neighbors when sickness struck, always ready to help in civic affairs. Orville died in hes early teens. Frank was later living in Bedford where he passed away in 1954. Mr. and Mrs. Rankin spent their last days in Truro, Iowa where they operated a store.

      Another basic builder of our town was Edward Palmer, his wife Flora and four children. Three girls and one boy. The boy Eddie died in his early life. Lillian, Minnie, and Lida always helpful in Church and social work. Lillian taught school for some time and then married Fred Murrell and raised a large family. Minnie married Fred Gibbons and raised one daughter, Helene; Lida was married to Bernard McFall and raised one son. Lillians husband Fred has been gone many years. She lives with her son Edward near Buffalo Mill. Minnies husband also passed away. She lives with her daughter in Washington D. C. Lidas husband also passed on and she now lives with or near her son in Denver, Colorado.

      Some of our later residents, Bill Denny, Ed Hulberts, J. H. Berrys, Sam and Dos Gardiner, Joe Scotts, George Fergusons, Ira Quicks, Nal Loomis, Al Stifels, Joe Schuff, Charley Gadriner, Folands, S. E. Barnards, Alf Read, Sam Simpson, Lee Millers, Ed Ferguson, John Ricketts, Donald Augustine, Fred Augustine, George Gearhearts, Kenneth Jeffs, Ben Morris, Mrs. Ed Jeffs, Ollie McKeevens, McGarveys, McCarthys, Ivan Rhone, Floyd Ricketts, Charles Rice, Dana Gilberts, Mary Wright, Gearge Palmer, Mrs. Rogers, Rufus Bakers, Keesters, Art Searless, Mr. and Mrs. Ira Smith, Charles Guthrie, George Dudney, Percy Denny and others.

      Our latest residents John Harpers, Ralph Jackson, Dos Gardiner, Belva Warren, Jim Jeffs, Clarence Gears … thus almost reduced to a Ghost Town.

      Those near Barney, George Ergenbrights, Press Bolings, George Bowles, Simpsons, Alex McCumber, Ruel Palmer, Tom Johns, Thurmans, Longshores, Austins, Duncans, Leasmans, Lillis, Bishops, Burgans, Thompsons, Stifels, Nichols and Gibbons.


      Soon after the advent of the railroad Richard Beardsley moved a building from the settlement known as Dufers Corners, or Station, just a little to the South, and put in a general store and also had the Post Office. For some time it seems that the Post Office was first located in a store building just North of the depot and owned by a Mr. Brown, and operated by Joe Balbraith. After being in the Beardsley store for some time it was moved to the big store building on the hill and operated by a Mr. Wood. After a while it was moved back to the Beardsley home where Mrs. Beardsley operated it for many years. Then when the Milt Stephensons bought the Beardsley home they operated it until Milt’s death when it was taken back to the big store on the hill and Tom Fisher was post master until it was discontinued.

      A star route went from Barney to the Gear Post Office three or four miles North then the Rural Free Delivery came along in the early 1900’s. The first carrier was Charles Bronson who with a team and buggy made the circut of twenty or thirty miles North and West everyday. Then came Sam Gardner who also drove horses and buggy until later when the motor car came which was a change for the better, even though roads at that time were not too good. Uncle Sam was his nickname and he was a very considerate and conscientious man whose good humor was sorely tried at times. He carried the mail twenty five years, until pensioned at which time Levi Fisher took over until the Post Office at Barney was discontinued.

      Our little town at one time boasted of three general stores, two Hotels, lumber yard, hardware store, two blacksmith shops, rug factory, doctor and creamery, cooper, two livery barns, band, photo studio, and town hall with its flourishing business carried on for several years.

     The first stores were operated by Joe Balbraith, Dick Beardsley, Ben Rankin, Charles Palmer, Charles Bancroft, Myers, Jasper Reed, and Roy Fennimore. Later after the new store on the hill, we had Mr. Woods, Joe Archer, Charles Kleir, Bob McKinney, Edgington and Foley, Cleo Sippey, Thomas Fisher, Levi Fisher, and Fern McClain. At one time Smith Longshore operated a general store in a small building just east of the big store. Myers had a general store and some drugs in the Palmer store building north of the depot. Ben Rankins store burned and he operated a small store in the town hall which was later bought by George Macumber and moved on half mile west of Barney and made into a dwelling. Here they reared their family, five children. Martha, Wray, Ester, Jennie and Engle. The house was later destroyed by fire. They moved to Chadron, Nebraska, then later back to Lorimor where George and Mrs. Macumber passed away.

     The Hotels were operated by Jasper Reed and Charles Palmer. The Reed house long gone …. the Palmer house was passed to their daughter Ella Gilbert until it was discontinued. The building was converted into a dwelling and became the property of Ruel Palmer where had and his wife lived. Later Cap Palmer was the owner until it was sold and moved away. Thus was destroyed one of the landmarks.

      The lumber yard was first owned by Henry Thurman then sold to David Fisher who merged with Ed Palmer and also operated a hardware store.

     The two blacksmith shops were owed by John Searles and Ike Bardrick …. later there was James Gearheart who married Bertha Simpson and reared a large family.

      The rug maker was Tom Fisher who had a small loom in the Bancroft building.

     Our Doctors were Dr. Hasty who was with us many years and Dr. Everett who with his wife were very active in social affairs. Dr. Croy whose wife was a nurse and last, Dr. Mannion, a lady.

      Barbers were ..Ike Persinger and Warren Beardsly. The band consisted of local boys in and around town who furnished music for all gala days.

      The studio was just south of the Beardsley store, Mr. Tyler the photographer. Several of his photos are still in existence.

      The Cooper was Mr. Wilfong. Used hickory saplings to make hoops for barrels such as sugar and salt was shipped in.

      The creamery was one of our greatest industries. Located west of town about one quarter of a mile it was owned by different farmers. The first operator was Johm DeLay who came here as a young man and married one of our fair maidens, Posy Beardsley. They went to Arispe to live and later to  Shannon City where he passed away in July of 1958.

      The large store on the hill, 100x75 feet. The large hall above the store being used for many occasions. Sunday School rallys, lodges, suppers, skating and dancing, plays, etc. Our plays were mostly home talent. One of our very first was “Ten Nights in a Barroom” put on by local talent. One of the stars was Lizzie Beardsldy, a little girl who came to the bar to get her father and was killed by flying whiskey bottles. Lots of tears were shed as it seemed very real. Dr. Everett was the father and Mrs. Everett the Mother.

      In the store it was like most country stores. Some of everything …. canned goods, candy, gum, crackers in a barrel, fish in wooden pails, unground coffee, bacon, hams, large sacks of flour, vinegar in a barrel, coal oil in the shed. Later, dress goods, buttons, lace, shoes, over shoes, boots, overhalls, plenty of tobacco. It was a great place for loafers in the evening and many tall tales were told sitting on boxes and kegs around the big stove in winter. The big store has gone now, having been torn down but with it went many memories.


     Barney on a whole was socially minded, often having ice cream socials, parties, and picnics. Our Fourth of July Celebreations were something sensational … especially for the early times. On the Fourth of July people would rise early so as to hear the salute of a real cannon which was detonated at 6:00 A.M. at the Winterset National Park and was clearly heard in all parts of the country. When the chores were done great preparations were made to go to the picnic grounds where the celebration was to be held. First the team was made ready. Hay and oats were put in the wagon box, then seat boards were put across the wagon bed for the children to ride on while father and mother rode on a spring seat near the front. Most families were large and required lots of space and many times neighbor children went along. There was also stored in the wagons, baskets and tubs of food. We congregated in the Alex Macumber timber west of town, stopping near the creek to have water for the horses. The horses were unhitched from the wagon and tied to it so they could eat the hay and food for them.

      Our program for the day was generally as follows:  Song by the crowd ..  America … Everyone singing then prayer and the Declaration of Independence was read and more singing. Now comes the parade which consisted of thirty two girls dressed in white and bands around the heads with a name of a state thereon. The girls marched up the railroad track to the picnic grounds followed by the Calithumpians, men who were dressed in clothes of a grotesque nature, wearing masks looking the part of hoodlums putting fear into every little childs heart. After reaching the grounds and cutting up some antics it was time for dinner so the masks were removed revealing who they were.

      People looked for a nice place to spread their table cloths and unload the baskets, Such food!  Big roasted hens, dressing, pickled eggs, potato salad, baked beans, pickles, pie and cakes of every kind, cookies and all. It seemed that families vie with each other to see who could bring the most and the best and everyone did the food justice. The older ones visited and the younger ones listened. After dinner and things cleared away they went back to the seats in front of the platform where the speaker gave the Fourth of July speech. After that there were all kinds of races for different ages. Fat mans race, potato race, sack race, jumping race, some horse shoe pitching etc. Then they must go home to do the chores before dark.

     The last Fourth of July celebration in Barney was in 1913 in the town park. Much the same routine but the pioneer spirit seemed to be gone.


      Our first school house was what is known as Harrison -  Hamilton house …. a small one room house. A little west of the last school house, the original house is still standing and in pretty good shape. It is being used as a dwelling now by the Kenneth Heffs.

      Our early teachers of course taught “Readin,” ”Writing” and “Rithmetic” and surely taught to the tune of a hickory stick. The stick was also used as a pointer in teaching black board lessons. There were eight grades taught ranging from Primer to and including the eighth. The schools were quite large and no age limit, but they were managed just fine and some very good records were made along with some very good scholars. One thing our pioneer teachers had to brave was making fires on mornings when thermometers sometimes registered 40 below. This would have to be done after walking through deep snow drifts for sometimes as far as two miles. Some of our very early teachers were Clara Snyder, Lina Wilkinson, Cerena Hiatt, Kate Laidley, Billy Holcroft and Bill Smith, just to mention a few. Later there was Maggie Lillis, Lizzie Spurgin, Fred Brown, Letitia Howard, Myrta Doebert, Lib McCloskey, Minnie Leasman, Mary Nolan, Margaret Nolan, Mrs. McKinney, Stella Barnard, Blanche Martin, Belva Gardener and others. Our very latest teachers were Nina Fazel, Lulu Nelson and Ruth Miller.

     There were many incidents that happened in our schools of which we will bring back to memory some of them such as the great surge of spelling and ciphering matches which were very educational as well as enjoyed socially. Our spelling bees would make proud victors of some pupils, which were never forgotten in their lifetime. There would be a victor who would go from school house to school house whenever a spelling or ciphering bee was held. Many times they would take high honors and sometimes cause enmity between the schools. All in all they were very educational.

      At one time a Mr. Fitzgerald held night school for two weeks in our school house for those who were interested in spelling or drawing. There was a rule for teaching spelling such as use an i before an e except after c or when it sounds A as in neighbor or weigh. Spell separate with an A till the hair turns grey … so many spell it with an E as seperate. Our early schools in Iowa used to teach the song of the countries.

            “Our home is in Iowa...westward toward the setting sun

            Just between two mighty rivers where the flowing waters run.

            We have towns we have cities we have many noble streams,

            We have 99 countries.. let’s join and sing their names”

      This little school of Barney put out several teachers, Lillian Palmer, Estella Scott, Estella Spurgin, Clarence Spurgin and Myrtle Macumber. Now consolidation has taken over … there is not one rural school in Walnut Township. Our school house still stands though many others have been torn down or moved away. A great thing to attract the attention of teachers was the snapping of fingers which was bad and eventually rules out. Another thing enjoyed by the pupils was passing the drinking water which also became unruly and was done away with.


     Church Services were held for many years in the school house before our new Church was established. Such ministers as Charles Hoover, Elizabeth Read, Ofling, Reverand Harvey and a Negro Minister who preached at Lorimor also did some preaching here. Besides, other ministers who were not regular ministers helped to keep up the spiritual side until our Church of Christ was built in 1920. In the Fall of 1901 two gentlemen were sent from Drake University. Evangelist Orville Hamilton and his singer Mr. Garmoug. A large tent was pitched in the Barney park and seats and platforms were built. An organ was put in and a series of Evangelistic meetings began. Soon, large crowds were attending as Mr. Hamilton put forth the way of Salvation and Mr. Garmoung sang his wonderful songs of invitation. People began to respond and many hit the “Sawdust Trail” as Billy Sunday would put it. It was likened into the Day of Pentecost though we were all of one tongue instead of the gift of tongues it centered around the Gift of the Holy Spirit.

     It is needless to try and name all those who responded to the call as no one remembers them all. A few were Minnie Bowles daughter Edith, Mrs. Alex Macumber, Mrs. Ruel Palmer and daughter Carrie. Mr. and Mrs. Jake Rapp, Minnie Leasman, Stella Hiskey, Mrs. S. E. Barnard, daughters Sadie and Stella, Mrs. Anne Ferguson and daughter Amy, Mrs. George Ergenbright and Elmer, Mattie and Bertha, Mr. and Mrs. Dixon and daughters Ethel and Vella, Lizzie Beardsley and many more.

     After the meetings were over people began to think of having a Church to worship in. Some plans were made and in 1902 the Church was built on a tract of land given by Amy Ferguson. The main builders of the Church were William Denny and Mr. Doebert, our local carpenters. In 1903 our Church was dedicated. Dean Haggard of Drake University giving the Dedicatory address. It was a wonderful thing to know we had a Church in which to worship.

      Our first Minister was Fredrick Schwab from Drake University who was also a medical student at that time. He labored with us for some time then took up medicine and at this time in living in Cedar Rapids. In the last fifty two years we have had many wonderful ministers, meetings and conventions which have been very helpful in our well being and many more have taken their stand for right. Some of the ministers were McKin, Terrance, Mason Nichols, Reverend F. L. Davis who is now residing in Winterset, Suzuka of Japan origin, Jack Langauyka of Hawaiian origin, Clayton Shepard and Mrs. Shepard, He who was originator of Gods Portion Sale, a delegate to the United Nations this year, also a delegate to Washington, a great honor and we know he will lend some spiritual influence.

     One of our greatest ministers was Charles O’Dell who preached at Lorimor and Madison Chapel in connection with our church. Our latest Ministers were Alan Tibbett, Gene Lamport and Kirby Fuller who were married during their pastorate here in the Church. Earl Carter and Tommy Dart are with us at this time.

      Let me mention here Addie Read who was a great worker in our Church. She has now passed on.

      Our Church had Bible school each year for the younger ones.

      There have been four weddings within our church walls. In 1904 Elza Hiskey and Minnie Wough (Waugh). 1929 James Van Rossum and Ollie Foreman. 1953 Robert Guion and Dora Law Van Rossum. 1954 Billy Iiams and Helen Watson. In assition to our church we have an auxiliary or helper in the form of the school house which the ladies aid purchased, had it dedicated “Fellowship Hall” by Reverend Conley Biddle of Perry. The aid holds its meetings, birthday suppers, cooks for threshers, wood sawers, corn shellers, entertain the Lions Club etc. They do quilting, rug making, and anything to make an honest dollar … for the upkeep of the Church. No better setting than ours should any Church wish for. To the South a plot of corn placed symmetrically in shocks and only needing a few pumpkins and a little snow to make a perfect picture. Inside the church yard, a stately weeping willow tree with branches reaching down to salute old Mother Earth who feeds it, and paying observance to the church which stands near, then the edifice, with the nice white imposing steps. High in the bell tower, which all combined makes a nice pleasing sight. Yes, the Church has a bell, but it isn’t rung very often anymore. Possibly because the structure is not strong enough or maybe just thoughtlessness. In days gone by the bell would ring every Sunday morning for Sunday School and Services. Its clear resonant tones would ring out over the countryside, telling in its own voice “Come To Church” “Come To Church”.  Also the bell was rung when a death occurred, telling as many times as the person who died was years old. Now the bell seems sad waiting to hear its voice again, hoping some child might pull the rope and the old bell could voice its sentiments. I am sure it would sing that old familiar song “Revive Us Again”.

      In early days one of our great workers was Miss Ceeta Reasoner who lived in our little town and at one time was Superintendant of our Sunday School. Sometimes I still can see her as she escorted her elderly Mother, a little old lady always wearing a black shawl and a little pike bonnet. They made a pretty picture as they came arm in arm to the church. Our Sunday School is still going, thanks to our Superintendant Vern Short, who for twenty years has carried on in that capacity..and our Adult teacher Edith Bowles, who for many years taught our young people before being given the adult class. Other teachers, Mrs. Vern Short, Christine Short-Farlow and Mrs. Earl Bliss.


     Back in the early ninties Barney began to see the need of a cemetery so through the generosity of one of the land owners, Henry Leasman gave a plot of ground situated high on a hill just west of the town. Soon lots were plotted and bought by people of the surrounding territory and in 1893 the first grave for the burial of Bessie Olive the little baby daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ruel Palmer was dug.

     But now, after sixty two years, let us take inventory of those who rest there. As we enter the cemetery, we see on our left Charles Palmer, his wife Hannah, their son Benjamin and his wife Chloe. To the right, Ruel Palmer and his wife Keziah, Laura Cornelison and her little daughter Alma, Cap Palmer and their two infants. A little farther on is Gorham Palmer and Lell Palmer sons of Charles Palmer, a daughter Ella Gilbert and husband Pet. Near the gate we see the graves of Bradbury Palmer and wife Hannah, their sons Edward and Melville. Edward and wife Flora and son Eddie. Melville and wife Nancy and daughter Mabel. Then the Simmermans, George and wife Clarissa, and sons Clinton and Alfred, Lester, Warren, Harry Gardener and wife, Sam Gardener and wife Ola, George and Emma Ergenbright, Elmer Mattie and Bertha and a baby. Sam and Nancy Hiskey, daughter Gertie, sons Elmer and Elwood and wife Nettie and six children, Ella Quick and sons Gail and Seldon. South from the gate James Gibbons and wife, sons Albert and wife, and daughter. Sons George and John Ira and little daughter Helen, daughters Harriet and Belle and husband Ed Ricketts, Florence and husband George Austin. David Fisher and wife and grandson Glen. Crystal Thurman and wife and son Alan and his son Clell. With Mrs. Lovey Bivin this fills the row to the highway.

     Now going North the graves of John Cornelison and wife, daughters Delcie and Martitia, Henry Leasman and wife, sons Elmer and Fred and daughters Bessie and Anna and Anna’s husband Jake Rapp. Others, Mrs. and Mr. Jacobs and daughter Minnie Bowles, Antipas Simpson and wife, daughters Lydia and husband Frank Rhone. Mary and Cary Waugh, Tom Wright and Mary, Fred Murrell, and son Paul, Sam Simpson and wife, their sons Noah and his daughter Beryl, Charles and Pascal and another daughter Bessie Loomis, Dick Beardsley and his wife Sophia and son Warren, Henry Pope, wife and wife’s mother, Sands and Mrs. Austin, Alfred Read and wife and daughters Addie and Nellie, and Nellie’s husband Tom Fisher, Smith Longshore and wife, daughter Minnie Gardener and sons John and Vincent and Vincents two daughters. Lee Miller and wife, sons Everett and Marshall Steven Bishop and wife, son Andrew, Solmen Barnard and wife Charles McGriff, Milt Stephenson and wife, Derwin Hulbert and wife Mr. Darby, Dick Fulton and son and daughter, Jasper Reed and wife, Hale Reed and nephew Billy Cornelison, Mrs. Robinson and twin granddaughters and Robert Searls baby. 

     Our three Civil War Veterans are Dick Beardsley, Lee Miller and Mr. Darby. Our schools throughout the district used to pay respect to these on Memorial day. They would give a program appropriate to the occasion with flags and decorating of graves.

      Decoration Day now is quite a social event at this Cemetery. As well as paying respect to those gone on, many come here from great distances to see friends as well a pay respect to loved ones. There is always a spray or wreath for the graves of those whose relatives or friends are unable to get there. Often, people would bring their lunch and spend the day so as not to miss seeing old friends who might come later in the day.

      When we leave, we wonder who will be the next to rest there.

  Transcribed by Debbie L. Stiff Monsive



Maintained by the County Coordinator

This page was last updated Thursday, 13-Apr-2017 16:53:17 EDT .