Madison County, Iowa

CHURCH HISTORIES

 

PLEASANT VIEW METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

     The Pleasant View Methodist Episcopal church was organized in 1856 by the Rev. Joel Mason, P. C. with S. W. Milligan as Class Leader. The first sermon was preached at the home of Jerub Richmond where regular services were held until about 1865. At that time, services were moved to the Richmond/Walker schoolhouse. About 1875, the schoolhouse was purchased by the congregation and fitted up as a church building, which purpose it served until 1890.

     The church was originally on the "Brooklyn" Circuit but in 1867 was attached to the Winterset Circuit. In 1878, it became the "Pleasant View Class of the Macksburg Circuit, of Corning District of the Des Moines Conference of the M. E. Church".

 

PHOTO OF

PLEASANT VIEW M.E. CHURCH TBS

 

 

     On March 24, 1890, the Class resolved to build a new church building. The cornerstone fo the new building was laid on May 22, 1890, Rev. J. S. Morrow conducting the ceremony. Construction costs were $1271. Services were held in this building until October 7, 1928, after which the church was torn down and some of the materials used for the M. E. Church in Macksburg.

 

     Members of the first class (1856) were as follows:

 

Jerub Richmond

Nathaniel Richmond John Johnston

Susan Richmond

Sarah A. Richmond Nancy Johnston
Samuel W. Milligan Mary A. Richmond John Warnick
George R. Richmond

Charles Richmond

Alvira Haven
Ann Richmond

Lydia Richmond

Richardson Haven
Adaline Milligan Orrin Richmond Elizabeth Warnick
William S. Richmond Anna Johnston Margaret Richmond

Transcribed by Kent Transier from notes supplied by Letha Heichel.

 

Maintained by the County Coordinator


This page was created on December 10, 2010
This page was last updated Friday, 10-Dec-2010 17:50:41 CST .