The Church of Christ at Winterset, Iowa, was organized in the home
of Joseph Brinson, on the first Lord's Day in December 1852.
Brother Irvin Gordon was the minister who gathered about him a few
Disciples and guided them on the day of their organization.
The charter members were as follows: Irvin Gordon, wife Sarah, and
daughter Martha; Jonathan Myers, wife Elizabeth, and daughter
Mary; William Gordon, wife Sarah, and daughter Nancy Jane; Caleb
Clark and wife Ruth; Joseph Brinson and wife Rebecca; William Bird
and wife Sarah; James Farris and Israel Miller and wife Syntha
Meetings were held in the homes of the various members and for
some time in an upstairs room on the west side of the square.
In 1857, a frame building was constructed about three blocks west
of the northwest corner of the public square, where the home of
Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence White now stands. This was a large
unpainted building built of our native oak and walnut, at the cost
of $1200. This building was used through the week for public
The ministers who served the congregation during this time were
Irvin Gordon, Washington Short, G. W. Carpenter, J. B. Noe, D. R.
Dungan, and N. C. Corey (father of Abraham Corey).
About four years later they purchased a building belonging to the
Presbyterians. This building stood back of our present parsonage.
The ministers who served in this building were James Roach, Peter
Russell, James Conner, J. A. Walters, Charles Blanchard, Joel
Brown, O. P. Badger, J. K. Cornell, and O. H. Derry. Occasional
ministers were Butler Bird, Joseph Missildine, and Mr. Vawter.
OF CHRIST BUILDING - WINTERSET
4th CHURCH OF
CHRIST BUILDING - WINTERSET
A new frame building was erected in 1889 (see photo " 3rd
Church" above) on the sight of our present building. The
pastors who served in this building were Revs. Wiskizer, Wells, A.
E. Major, J. M. Lowe 189?-1899, T. R. Hodkinson 1899-1900, A. D.
Veatch 1901-1903, J. H. Swift 1904-1905, O. M. Pennock 1906, S. D.
Harlan 1907-1908, R. E. House 1908, Ragan 1908-1909, Leonard F.
Davis 1909-1915, B. B. Burton 1915-1918, E. L. Hosier 1918-1919,
O. P. Ballenger 1919-1920, N C. Carpenter 1920-1921, E. Chancellor
1921-1924, and F Clare McCallon who came in 1924.
Our present parsonage was built in 1920 and the following year the
church was remodeled. A basement was excavated and the walls of
the church stuccoed.
In 1925, during the pastorate or Rev. McCallon, this building was
torn down and our present church building (see photo "4th
Church" above) was erected at a cost of $40,000. In this
building the following pastors have served: Rev. F. Clare McCallon
1924-1928, H. L. Olmstead 1929-1938, and Tom Foglesong 1938-1947.
In 1945, the sanctuary was remodeled and an electric organ was