One of the older cemeteries of the county is in Section 20 of Crawford township, about a mile northeast of Patterson. This cemetery was located on an old stage coach trail, and several were buried there when they became ill enroute west and there is no record of their burials.
Maria B. and J. Wilkins were the first people buried in Montpelier according to the record on the tombstones, in 1858.
The land was given to the township by Thomas W. and Hannah Pyers
Folwell, and A. E. and Helen Yoman and was recorded at the court house April 2, 1885.
Some of the others buried there in early days were Mary J. McLees in 1862, Alexander McMichael in 1879, Oliver Crawford in 1869, Sara Buckman in 1881, T. L. Buckman in 1883, Sara Ann Crawford in 1872. Other family plots include the Wilkins, Small,
Stoebler, Kinnard, Freeborn, Martin, Crossley and Hardy families.
The cemetery is still used and plans are now being made to put a rock road around it.