The McDonald - Chase cemetery is located in Douglas township, about six miles northwest of Winterset. The original burial ground was given by Thomas McDonald in 1875. In the McDonald part the plot owners are Mrs. John
Beem, V. A. (Vincent Arthur), Charles Ruth, George Ruth, H. N.
Laizure, W. F. Leach, S. M. Cochlin, J. J. Earp, W. E. Griffith, W. R.
McMichols, J. A. McDonald, F. Stephenson, E. R. Smith, J. L. Cobs, W. Reed, H. L.
Kitchell, F. M. Bruse, R. F. McDonald and W. A. (Wm. Asa) Chase.
Thomas McDonald, grandfather of Frank McDonald, who lives near the cemetery, gave a small patch of his land for use as a burial place. The first person buried in this small burial ground was a tiny baby of Mr. And Mrs. W. S. McDonald. The baby had been interred earlier in the family yard until this plot had been prepared in 1875. A rail fence enclosed this plot.
Tommy McDonald, as he was called, again gave more land in connection with this small cemetery and the men of the neighborhood cleared the land and it was enclosed with a board fence, but in later years it was replaced with a steel fence. In his later years Tommy gave the deed to the following and appointed them to care for the cemetery as long as any of them lived: Marion Bruce and wife (Harriet M.
Templeman); Bob McDonald and wife (Leah Catherine Ruth); William
Scott McDonald and wife Barbara Ellen (Combs) and John Ruth and wife.
John Ruth, one of the last survivors of the original group being responsible for the care of the cemetery, as long as any of them lived, appointed these men as directors: Frank McDonald; Lee
Laizure; Vern Clark; Wallace McDonald and Lee Chase.
The Chase addition was given by Mrs. W. A.
Chase, through the expressed wish of her husband who died in 1920. At this time there were but seven plots left in the original cemetery. On record, in the Recorders office in Madison county is filed No. 3502, the plat of the McDonald
Chase cemetery, which was filed October 26, 1934, by Maggie Reese Hobbs, recorder.
When this addition was given, there was a stipulation that this burial place could be a last resting place for any person, regardless of creed or color. Names of plot owners in the
Chase addition are: J.
Bruns; S. S. Adams; Lee Chase; Florence Clark; Fred Kuntz; Vern Clark; W. W. McDonald; M. E. McDonald; F. S. McDonald; Ella and Lilly McDonald. The first person buried in the new addition was Hubert Clark, a young boy who was accidentally shot and died of blood poisoning.
The cemetery is still used and is well kept.