The land for the Hooten cemetery in Section 8 of Lincoln township was given by Joshua Gentry, and recorded February 11, 1882.
The first burial was October 15, 1851, a daughter of W. H. and Sarah Harmon. Others in the Harmon family are buried there also. Other early burials were Thomas
Hooten, June 1852, Thomas J. Hooten, 1853, Thomas Howard, 1852, Philinda Howard, 1871 and Eleanor Chastain, 1853, Lovice
Bertholf, 1856, Mary Vancil, 1853. Other family plots in Hooten cemetery in addition to the above are the
Roys, Longenakers, Gentrys, Grahams and Moores.
Two sons of Harvey Lee, aged 7 and 8 were buried in the cemetery in 1860. Later, Lee township was named after this man, and four of his descendents recently sent donations from far away states to help maintain the cemetery.
The trustees of this cemetery which was started in 1919, are Floyd
Reigle, a great-grandson of the original donors of the land, Merritt
Baur, Albert Burger, Willis Fletcher and
Mrs, E. W. (Georgia) Mueller.