MADISON COUNTY

EPPARD-PITZER CEMETERY

Some of these histories of cemeteries of Madison County were originally published in the Winterset Madisonian newspaper on August 26, 1953, July 1956 and July 18, 1958. They have been transcribed and posted with the permission of Ted Gorman, owner of the Winterset Madisonian newspaper.

All cemetery names are linked to their Madison County address.

 

Eppard/Pitzer/Jackson Township United Presbyterian Cemetery

The Jackson township United Presbyterian cemetery is located about two miles northeast of Pitzer, just south of North river in Section 10. Mrs. Pauline Christensen Kuntz wrote about this cemetery, and also another one, for the Madison County Antique association of which she is a member.

The first burial was made in the above cemetery some time before 1860, but as these earliest graves are not marked, no exact time or location can be given. It was started by the early settlers who were living in that community along North river, and they were the Spences, Eppards, Dunns, Mabbitts, Gordons, Binns, Phillips, Becks, Duffs and Earlys.

John Early, who lived about three quarters of a mile east of the cemetery, maintained a station on the undergroung railroad to aid runaway slaves on their way to Canada. Maggie Duff, who taught school nearby, often had these slaves as visitors at her school, while they were awaiting to be taken to the nest station.

No one seems certain of the date when the cemetery was taken over by the United Presbyterian church of Pitzer, but it is well cared for and in good condition.
Previous Page

Back to Index

Next Page

 

Maintained by the County Coordinator This  page was created on 04 October 2006.
This page was last updated Thursday, 13-Apr-2017 18:13:37 CDT .