Inwood Herald Obituaries



Anderson, Mrs. Nancy

Anderson --At her home in Inwood on June 7, 1891 , Mrs. Nancy Anderson, aged 53 years, 11 months and 25 days. A beautiful life went out beyond the reach of mortal vision last Sunday morning, when Mrs. Nancy Anderson breathed her last. The deceased was born in Genisee County, N.Y., July 12, 1837 . In her eighteenth year she was married to Mr. Geo. J. Anderson at Genisee Falls , N.Y. With her husband and family she moved in Winisheik county, Iowa, in the year 1875, and from thence came to Lyon county in 1878. In her tenth year she joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and remained a member in its ranks for 33 years. In 1880 she united with the Presbyterian Church and has ever faithful to its teachings. The funeral occurred Sunday at 2 p.m., Rev. Levi Jarvis conducting the service, and the remains were interred in Inwood Cemetery. Two sons, three daughters and other relatives are left to mourn the loss of a tender, loving mother and friend. Death under all circumstances, sends a thrill of sorrow through the human heart, but when the words came that the deceased had passed away, a mantle of sadness fell over the community that is only felt when the grim messenger calls for one, none knew but to honor and respect. Her life was rich in thoughts and deeds of helpfulness. Strong and tender of nature, ripe in character, having touched many heights and depths of mental experience. She was a true Christian, in whose life the finest traits of a christian spirit, patience and gentleness, were the chief adornments.

Those who knew her best, speak of her life as an exemplary one. During her sickness she resigned herself wholly to the will of God. May the surviving relatives and many friends, who will receive these tidings with a keen sense of loss, find inspiration in the thought of her noble, selfsacrificing life, and consolation in the faith that consoled her.

Card of Thanks

We do most sincerely thank the kind friends for their assistance and sympathy during the late sickness and death of our mother, and to assure that this spirit of love will be kindly remembered.

G.M. Anderson,
Emma F.
Mrs. W.J. McLean
Mrs. J.A. Brande

June 11, 1891


Biography of Mrs. A.O. Anderson

Miss Clara Aae was born in Winneshiek county, Iowa, on the 19th day of December, 1861. She made her home with her parents until her marriage with Mr. A.O. Anderson , on September 2, 1890 , when she came with her husband to Lyon county, where she has since resided. She died on Sunday evening, Feb. 21, 1892 at 7:30 o’clock being 30 years 2 months and two days old. Rev. Berge conducted the funeral services at the house at 12 o’clock on Thursday, Feb 25. The remains were laid to rest in the Knutson cemetery. Mrs. Anderson was a faithful and loving wife, a true friend, Christian and neighbor. Her greatest burden was the lack of that one thing, which is so necessary to happiness in this life, good health. Many hearts mourn her untimely end here, but are consoled by the thought that they can meet her in that world beyond. She leaves behind a husband, father, to sisters and two brothers. Those who attended the funeral from abroad were Mr. Aae, father of the deceased, and Mrs. Hotvet, mother of Mr. Anderson. Dr. Johnson says the real cause of death was an insuffiency of iron in the blood.

March 3, 1892


Anderson, Andrew

Crossed Death’s River

Andrew Anderson died on January 27, 1892. He was born in Norway in 1861, and came to America when 7 years of age. He settled in Chicago and became an employ of what is now the Great Western Type Foundry; and continued with that institution nine years, then came west to engage in farming. Ten years ago he was employed on the old Beloit and Canton Times, and in 1883 became a member of the Sioux Valley News force, being made foreman of the office two years later, which position he held until his death. He was married to Mrs. Matilda Lund in 1886. On the 19th of last December he was seized by a sudden pain and on the day following took to his bed. For seven weeks he wrestled malarial fever, but finely succumbed. The funeral services were held in the Evangelical Lutheran church under the auspices of Centennial Lodge I.O.O. F., Rev. Olav. Lee, assisted by Rev. Wilson, chaplain of the lodge, officiating. Mr. Anderson died as he had lived, without an enemy, and enjoying the respect of all who knew him.

The remains were laid to rest in Forest Hill cemetery by the brethren of the lodge, the beautiful ritual of the order being observed.

February 4, 1892


Bellmore, Jennie

Journeyed to a Better Land

From her home in Inwood, on Friday morning, July 24, 1891, Mrs. Jennie Bellmore, wife of Washington Bellmore, aged 31 years.

Again the grim angel of death, has visited us and called one to the distant shores of the mystic river. The deceased was born in Chittenaugo, Madison county, New York in 1860. Her maiden name was Jennie Stormes. On the first day of Nov. 1882, at Fayetteville, N.Y., she was married to Mr. W. Bellmore, and in March 1886 they came to Inwood, and for three years enjoyed the peace and sunshine of a happy life amongst us. But in 1889 a dark cloud overshadowed the once happy home. Deceased had been lurking behind the scenes and, at last, succeeded in unbalancing the mind of the deceased. The medical skill of our home physicians proved to be of no avail and in the fall of 1889 Mr. Bellmore placed her in the hospital at Independence, Iowa, where she remained until July, 1890, when she was again brought home, but not in a state of health. At times her mental faculty seemed alright, but her constitution was completely broken down. Her lungs becoming affected, she steadily declined in strength until her death.

Just before death she was perfectly sane, and knowing that she must die, expressed the wish that her life would soon ebb away. She requested that, after death, no one should be allowed to see her and that the funeral services be as quiet as possible. These restrictions were carried out to the letter and consequently the corpse was taken direct from the house to the Inwood cemetery, where she was laid to rest in her final sleep. The funeral occurred at 2 p.m. on Saturday, July 25, Rev. Levi Jarvis officiating.

July 30, 1891


Harry B. Beyer

Harry B. Beyer died Sunday afternoon of consumption. The funeral occurred at the family residence in Rock Valley, on Tuesday morning at 9 o’clock, the services being conducted by the Rock Valley I.O.O.F. lodge. The Oddfellows formed in procession at the hall and marched to the house of the deceased. After the reading of a psalm and an offering of prayer by Rev. Greene, that dear old song of songs, to those in affliction, “Nearer my God to Thee,” was sung. Then came the beautiful and impressive ritual ceremonies, which made every true Oddfellow’s heart throb with pain. The chain which bound them as brothers had been rent asunder, and the ranks broken. Cruel and merciless death, that relentless scythe of time, had swept from their midst the conflicting link, a loved brother.

The remains were taken to Ames, Iowa, for interment.

March 3, 1892


Dryer, Fred

Last Sunday word reached in that Fred Dryer, who lived near Doon, had fallen onto a fork handle, break two ribs. He had also received other internal injuries, and on Monday death claimed him. The funeral occurred Wednesday, and the remains were interred in the Doon cemetery. The funeral was a large one, the procession reaching nearly one mile in length. The deceased leaves a wife and five children to mourn him.

September 9, 1892


Garver, Addie

Addie, oldest daughter of D.C. Garver, died March 22, 1893 , at Independence , Iowa , in the 25th year of her age. The funeral service occurred Saturday, March 25, in the M.E. Church , Rev. F.W. Ginn officiating.

Deceased was born in Howard County , where she spent a happy childhood. Her later years were shrouded in the gloom which accompanies a clouded reason, and while her friends mourn her, as we mourn our beloved dead, there is a comforting assistance that hers was a blessed release from pain and sorrow. She is at rest. She has joined her loved mother for whom she called in her last hours.

March 31, 1893


Garver, Mrs. D.C.

Gone to a Heavenly Home

The pulse of the people best with a wild emotion, the breath seemed hushed, coming shorter and shorter; hearts throbbed in pain and the very winds seemed to moan a sad requiem, when, on last Friday morning the news was spread that Mrs. D.C. Garver had passed from life to death. The deceased had been sick but about six days. She was at first confined with the lagrippe which was followed by pneumonia. The best medical aid obtainable tried to conquer the dread disease, but failed.

In the death of Mrs. Garver, the family have lost a loving wife and mother; an aged mother mourns a loving, dutiful daughter; a husband and five children, three girls and two boys, feel keenly the hand of affliction; the tie between sisters and brothers is broken never to be reunited in this world. The community has suffered a loss that cannot easily be replaced. Her strict integrity, her pure unselfishness, her heart and hands ever open to the wants of the needy and distressed, marked her as a faithful friend and neighbor. Wherever she lived, her kind and loving deeds left their impress on all with whom she came in contact. That her influence was uplifting, and her counsels to the young wise, and strengthening, is attested by many.

The funeral services occurred on Sunday at half past one o’clock in the church, Rev. Wm. Oates officiating. The remains were taken to the Inwood cemetery when all that was mortal of Libby Garver was laid to rest. To the stricken family all hearts go out in sympathy. The Lord has said: “Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest”.

Libby Thurber-Garver was born in Ogle Co., Ill., April 10, 1848. In the year 1854, she removed with her parents, to Howard County , Iowa , where the greater part of her life was spent. She was united in marriage to David C. Garver, May 11, 1867 . They lived on a farm near Lime Springs until the summer of 1885, when they moved to Inwood, Ia. , where she has since resided. She united with the Congregational church, at Forester, at the early age of 15 years. Last spring she united with the Presbyterian church at this place, and at the time of her death was an active member.

January 21, 1892


Hazlett, Henry

Henry Hazlett died at his home in Settlers township on Sunday morning, Feb. 21. He had been out in Dakota and was taken sick with the grippe. On returning home erysipelas set in and caused his death. Funeral services occurred on Tuesday and the remains were laid to rest in Beloit cemetery.

February 25, 1892


Helgerson, Gullia

Mrs. Gullia Helgerson, wife of Halvor Helgerson, died at her home near Inwood, Thursday, February 23, 1893. The funeral services occurred last Saturday and were conducted by Rev. O.A. Berge. The remains were interred in the Beloit cemetery. Mrs. Helgerson has been a sufferer of that dread disease consumption for some time past. She fought a good fight but had at last to succumb to the inevitable. Her age was twenty five years. Peace to her ashes

March 3, 1893


Helgerson, Mrs.

Mrs. Helgerson: Mother of the Helgerson boys here, died Tuesday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Arneson, near Larchwood.

The deceased has been sick for some time, one side being paralized and the tide of life slowly ebbing from her. The funeral occurs today, and the remains will be interred in the cemetery at Beloit their final resting place.

March 5, 1891


Hopkins, Maud

Maud, eighteen months old child of Mr. and Mrs. O.L. Hopkins died at 3:45 o’clock Thursday morning. She was taken sick Sunday at 4 p.m. with cholera infantum and gradually grew worse, the disease growing into a spinal trouble, which baffled medical skill. The funeral services took place in the M.E. church yester at 2 p.m. , Rev. F.W. Ginn officiating, and the remains were interred in the Inwood cemetery.

September 8, 1893


Klein, Ella & Clara

Last Saturday evening, the sad news flashed over the wires that Mr. Klien’s two little girls had been drowned. The greatest excitement prevailed here as none of the particulars could be learned. The girls, Ella and Clara, in company with a number of others had been out plumming and on their way home stopped to wade in the river. They were in advance of the others when they stepped off into a hole about ten feet deep and went to the bottom

The funeral services occurred Monday and a large and sympathetic congregation were present. Mr. Klein, and family, were formerly residents in this vicinity and have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.

August 20, 1891


Maynard, Curtis

Curtis Maynard, son of E. Maynard, who has been working for Coffield & Sherman, is putting down wells, met with his death, last Tuesday morning, Jan. 13th. He was helping Geo. Sherman to put down a well on Mr. Haseby’s farm, nine miles northwest of Canton. On Tuesday morning, Mr. Maynard went down to the well to see that everything was alright to start work. He became unconscious by fire-damp or gas. He called up to Mr. Sherman to pull him up. He was supposed to have got into the bucket, and being so overcome fell out before he reached the top. Mr. Sherman made three attempts to rescue him, and succeeded in getting him out the third time, he (Sherman) having become unconscious. The remains were brought home, and Dr. Bell, of Canton, summoned, who pronounced him dead.

Mr. Maynard is the son of E. Maynard, who lives just south of town; a single man, 26 years old, and well liked by those who knew him. He leaves a father and mother, three brothers, three sisters and many sorrowing friends to mourn his loss.

The funeral services was held in the M.E. church, Thursday afternoon, Rev. Jarvis preaching the funeral sermon.

Mr. Sherman is recovering slowly.

January 22, 1891


Meldrum, John

A fatal accident occurred here last Saturday night. A freight train was switching in the yard when John Meldrum, a brakeman, was caught in a cattle guard and terribly mangled. Just how the accident happened no one knows. The cattle guard is just beyond the end of the switch, and in cutting loose two cars from the engine while they were backing, it is probable that he was between the cars and engine when he stepped into the guard. When found by the conductor he was laying beside the track, and when ask what was the matter answered; "Bill, I am done for." A telegram was dispatched for Smith, at Canton, which was followed by the engine. The dying brakeman was removed to the depot, but his leg and arms being broken and his bowels exposed, he soon expired. He remains conscious until death closed his eyes, and told the conductor to take care of his pocket book and a life policy. His home is at Hull, but his father is at LuVerne and his mother dead. He was a bright boy of about 18 years, and had only been on the road a month. The corpse was taken to Canton on the 10:40 and back to Hull next day.

October 29, 1891


Quade, Katherine

Katherine Quade was born in Germany in 1848. At the age of five years her parents concluded to quit their native land and accordingly got their effects together and set sail for America. This America of ours is a grand and glorious country. It is the country for which the vast majority of foreigners spread their sails after bidding adieu to native land. They came to Jackson county, Iowa where they located, and where Miss Quade resided until her marriage with Mr. T.W. Koltze, which occurred on the 16th day of January, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Koltze moved to Crawford county in 1880, after a residence there of eleven years, again moved to Lyon county in 1891. Mrs. Koltze was one of those women whose friends are made up of all who know her, and many hearts mourned when her death was announced. She leaves a husband and nine children, the youngest of which is but five months old, in the home broken by her demise.

Those who attended the funeral from abroad were John and Fred Quade and wives, Mrs. Quade, Mrs. Cook, Henry Koltze and H. Bockelmann and wife of Crawford.

March 17, 1892


Siterman, Peter

Peter Siterman died at his home two miles south of Inwood, Thursday, March 23, 1893, aged 67 years, 10 months, 27 days.

Deceased was born in Burnks Co., Pa. , May 2, 1825 . In 1865 he removed to Inquoy Co., Illinois , where he resided till 1874, when his family, he removed to Mills Co., and in 1888, removed to Lyon County , Iowa . Mr. Sherman united with the German Reform church in his 21st year. In 1890, he united with the Presbyterian church at this place and was a member of same till death.

Early in the winter he began complaining of a soreness in his foot, but at that time it was thought to be nothing serious. The malidy grew worse, however, and the alarming symptoms of gangrene were noticed. He lay for weeks in a precarious condition. The time came finally for an amputation of the foot, and the operation was successfully performed. But the poison still remained in his system, causing what physical strength there was left to rapidly weaken. Peace came at last; he was asleep in death, and his spirit wafted to the heavenly shore.

The funeral services occurred at 10:30 o’clock , Saturday, March 25, 1893, in the M.E. Church , and were conducted by Rev. F.W. Ginn.

The remains were interred in the Inwood cemetery.

March 31, 1893


C.S. Thurber Dead

Following is the obituary notice of C.S. Thurber, a brother in law to D.C. Garver, and brother to his deceased wife. We clip it from ”The Florida Times Union ,” Dec. 17:

C.S. Thurber died yesterday morning shortly after midnight at the residence of his brother, J.R. Thurber, in Springfield , having been ill for a long time.

The deceased was a native of Iowa , 37 years old. He moved to Jacksonville three years ago and became a conductor on the F.C. & P. railroad, which position he held until compelled to resign on account of sickness. He was deservingly popular and was known to have a heart in him as big as a prince.

The funeral took place from the house at 3 p.m. yesterday, Rev. W.H. Dodge officiating, and the interment was in the old city cemetery.

December 23, 1892


Tisdale, Eleeta

Mrs. Eleeta A. Tisdale died March 27, 1893. The funeral services were held at the M.E. Church at Beloit , Wednesday, March 29th at 2 p.m.

Mrs. Tisdale was born in Essex Co., New York, July 27, 1817. She was united in marriage to Leonard Tisdale, March 22, 1838 . In 1864 she moved to Iowa, Deleware Co., where she resided until the death of her husband; which occurred seven years ago. Since then she has lived with her daughter, Mrs. F.U. Webb. She was a member of the Wesleyan Methodist church.

She leaves an only daughter Mrs. Webb, who has the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in her bereavement.

Card of Thanks

We extend the most heartfelt thanks to those who so kindly assisted us during the sickness of our beloved mother

John Webb
Rose Webb

March 31, 1893


Tobiason, Lewis

Lewis Tobiason, son of S.A. Tobiason, died of pneumonia, Thursday, April 27, 1893, at his home in Centennial township. The funeral services occurred in the Lutheran Church at 11 o'clock a. m.on Saturday and were conducted by Rev. O.A. Berge.

Deceased was born in Centennial township, August 2, 1869, and has since resided there with his parents. He had the distinction of being the first boy born in Centennial. Thirty teams followed the remains to the church and cemetery. Many sympathetic friends condole with the bereaved family.

May 5, 1893


Witham, Mrs.

Mrs. Witham was born in Morrow County, Ohio, March 15, 1826, and died March 4, 1893, aged 66 years, lacking 11 days. She married A.W. Fleming in 1845, and moved to Adair county in 1859, where she lived with her husband until 1889, when she came to Lyon county and took up her residence with her son W.D. Fleming. Her husband died Aug. 15, 1889, after a sickness of only five days. In November 1892, she went to Nebraska to visit a son and two brothers, and returned home Feb. '29. She seemed to be in excellent health on her return and on Friday preceding her death remarked that she felt better than she had for a long time. Saturday morning she arose seemingly in good health, but while eating breakfast was suddenly taken with a pain in her left side. She at once declared that she would die and talked about it continually until her spirit was wafted to that better world at 10:30 p.m. The deceased was a devoted Christian and fully prepared to meet death, which to her, could be but a glorious reward.

The funeral services, occurred in the M.E. church, Tuesday, March 7, at 12 o'clock, Rev. H.L. Shoemaker officiating. The remains were interred in Inwood cemetery.

She leaves to mourn her four brothers, two in Ohio and two in Nebraska, one sister, three sons, W.D. and J.P. Fleming in Nebraska, and one daughter in Ohio.

Her brothers, Wm., and Coleman Withman of Martinsburg, Neb., were present at the funeral.

The HERALD extends sympathy to the bereaved ones and would point them to Him, who alone can comfort in the hour of affliction.

March 10, 1893


Wimer, Mrs. W.J.

Mrs. W.J. Wimer died at her home near Canton last Monday morning. She had been sick about five weeks from consumption of the kidneys and during that time suffered intense agony. She was a woman respected and loved by all who knew her, and will be sadly missed by the community in which she lived. She was an earnest Christian and during her sickness many times repeated the scriptural words “I know that my redeemer liveth”, and these were the words of the text used in the funeral sermon. She leaves a devoted husband and nine children to mourn her loss, and their bereaved condition calls for universal sympathy. The funeral services took place in Soule’s church on Tuesday afternoon, Revs. Soule, Conklin and Simmons officiating.

The remains were laid to rest in Forest Hill Cemetery where the last sad rites were witnessed by a large concourse of people.

The church was beautifully decorated with flowers of which the deceased was an ardent lover.

The congregation was too large for the capacity of the church.

The procession which followed the remains to the cemetery was a mile in length.

A number of relatives from Illinois were present at the services.

September 10, 1891