LYON COUNTY GENEALOGY
WILLIAM LAUCK FAMILY HISTORY
William Lauck was born March 11, 1875 in Clayton County, Iowa to Johan and Dorothy Voelker Lauck. He came to Lyon County, Iowa, in 1884 with his brothers Henry J., Charles, Louis, Fred and sister Lena. They settled on a farm now owned by Roger and Lois Baatz. It was at one time owned by Fred Lauck.
Elsie Albrecht came to America from Germany in 1904 to care for her Aunt Minnie Klein, who suffered from two broken legs in a runaway wagon accident. She married William Lauck on March 15,1905.
His first business was a machine shop with his brother-in-law John Kruger. He bought the elevator by the Rock Island. This elevator is still in operation today. He sold out because the dust was affecting his health. He owned several farms.
He was very active in the community. At one time he was Mayor of Lester. He was also stockholder and Vice President of the Lester Bank. He was instrumental in starting and building the Lutheran Church along with other families of the community. He and other members bought the bell for the church. This church in now owned by the Methodist Church and the bell is still used. He was a school board member for nine years. He was on the Board of Supervisors while the new court house was planned and built. His name is on the corner stone.
When William and Elsie were first married they lived in the house in Lester, now owned by Nathan Knobloch. Mary, Minnie and Hugo were born in this house. In 1913 they moved to the house occupied now by their daughter, Mary, Billy was born there.
William passed away May 9, 1920 at the age of 45. He was Vice President of the Lester Bank at the time. Elsie passed away November 14, 1962.
Mary Lauck was born September 6, 1906. She attended school in Lester. She was the only graduate from the class of 1925. She attended Normal School in Sheldon and taught school in the country school across from the Stuermann farm for two years. She then went to Presentation School of Nursing in Sioux Falls and married George Marnette in 1935. Together they ran Marnettes Tavern. Mary is still remembered for her hamburgers. Mary also helped take care of many people in Lester.
They had two children, Mary June Marnette Stubbe of Sioux Falls and Jerry Marnette of Aberdeen.
Minnie Lauck was born in 1907. She attended school in Lester and taught school before her marriage to William Schubert in 1931. They farmed before moving to Rock Rapids. Minnie worked at Wolff and Bernstein for many years. She passed away in December of 1988. Two children, Joan Schubert Vogel and Dale Schubert survive.
Hugo was born in 1910. He attended school in Lester and went to Minneapolis where he worked as a salesman. He then became a realtor. He married Hilda Galsnap in 1934. They sold their home in Minneapolis several years ago and now live in Esterville, Iowa.
William was born in 1916 and attended school in Lester. He was in World War II, then returned to live in Minneapolis, and married Irene Langness in 1948. He died in 1972 of cancer. They had one daughter, Margaret.