LYON COUNTY GENEALOGY: The Compendium
SANDS, RICHARD A.
Richard A. Sands, whose name is well known to a wide circle of friends and acquaintances throughout Garfield township, and indeed Lyon county, as that of a man well qualified by character, attainments and general ability as a farmer, a business man and a loyal and patriotic citizen to be esteemed warmly, was born on a farm in Monroe county, Ohio, in 1847, where his father, Joshua Sands, had long been devoted to the tilling of the soil. The father was born in Maryland, and the family is supposed to be of English ancestry. They reared a large family, having several born to a previous marriage, and several brothers of Richard served in the Civil War. The father died when Richard was only nine years, and the later years of his boyhood and youth were spent in the home of a Methodist minister, the Rev. A. Bell. This excellent gentleman removed with his people to Illinois where young Richard finished his school days by attending a graded school.
When Mr. Sands was twenty-one years of age he began life for himself, and for four years worked as a farm laborer among the neighbors. In this time he had saved four hundred and twenty-five dollars, which added to the one hundred with which he had started, constituted a very handsome sum for a bright and ambitious young man. For a time he attended school, and in 1872 went to Nebraska where he bought some railroad land. This he broke, and put out a grove and an orchard. In the winter of 1873 and '74 he taught school in Nebraska, and during the summer was engaged in farming. Then came the grasshoppers, and in despair of doing anything Mr. Sands abandoned his farm, and located in Cass county, Iowa, in 1874. He had lost everything but a stout heart, and again resumed work as a farm hand. In 1875 he was in Marshall county, where he remained until the spring of 1879, when he began again as a farmer in Grundy county, and where for five years he was absorbed in cultivating the land.
In 1882 occurred the wedding of Mr. Sands and Miss Mary L. Long in Marshalltown, Iowa. She was born in Owen county, Indiana, and came of an old American family.
To this union was born one child, Mary Belle, who is now a school teacher. Mrs. Sands died at her birth. Mr. Sands contracted a second marriage, March 2, 1887, when Miss Mary A. Chase became his bride. She was born in Fulton, Illinois, where her father, Isaac Chase, was an old-time American farmer. By this second marriage Mr. Sands is the father of four children, Charles Henry, Pearl Edna, Winnie Ethel, and Edward Raymond, all of whom were born in Plymouth county, Iowa.
In 1885 Mr. Sands spent the summer in Lyon county, but returned again to Plymouth county, where he had established himself on a farm. In 1897 he bought a farm in Lyon county, where he is now residing, on which he settled his family in 1900. It is located in section 20, Garfield township, and under his capable handling it has become one of the choice places of this part of the county. Mr. Sands and his charming wife enjoy the confidence and respect of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
August Schemmel, for many years an active farmer on section 24, Richland Township, Lyon County, was born in Holstein, Germany, February 3, 1864, a son of Marcus and Margarette (Bowie) Schemmel, both of whom were natives of Holstein. The father brought his family to Scott County, Iowa in 1870, where he engaged in farming, an occupation in which he continued until 1884. That year he removed to Richland Township, Lyon County, Iowa, where he located on a farm in section 22. There he was still engaged in farming until his retirement to Alvord, where he is now making his home. He is sixty-four and his wife sixty-eight. Their children are as follows: August, a farmer in Richland Township; as are also Henry, William, Johannes, and the two sons-in-law, Fred Rumohr, who married Lena, and William Kahl, the husband of Emma.
August Schemmel secured his education in the public schools of Scott County, and very early began his career as a farmer by helping his father in the care of his extensive estate in Scott County and still later in Richland Township. A very considerable measure of success has attended his farming enterprises, and he is now the proprietor of four hundred acres of as choice farmland as may be found in the northwest. Here he carries on a diversified grain and stock raising; at the present time has twelve horses, a hundred cattle and one hundred and twenty-five hogs.
August Schemmel was married March 8, 1888 to Miss Mary Jensen, a resident of Scott County, Iowa. Her father, Hans H. Jensen came to Scott County from Holstein, Germany at an early day, and has been a life-long farmer. He is still living in Sioux County, Iowa where his wife died. They reared a family of nine children, five of whom are living, and of whom Mrs. Schemmel was the third born. Mr. and Mrs. Schemmel are the parents of four children, John A., Louisa, Lena, and Anna, all of whom are living and are at home. He has been school director for two years, and is a member of the Sons of Herman at Alvord. In religion he is a Presbyterian, and in politics a Republican.
Johannes Schemmel, who has a fine farm in section 22, Richland Township, Lyon County, which he cultivates according to modern and up-to-date methods, was born in Scott County, Iowa, and is a son of Marcus and Margarette (Bowie) Schemmel, both of whom were natives of Holstein, Germany, and early comers to this country.
Marcus Schemmel came with his family to Scott County in 1870, and there remained actively engaged in farming for fourteen years, when he removed to Richland Township, Lyon County, where he made a homestead settlement in section 22. There he continued farming until his retirement to the village of Alvord, where he is now leading a retired life. To him and his good wife were born the following children: August, Henry, William and Johannes, all engaged in farming in Richland Township; Lena, the wife of Fred Rumohr, a farmer in Richland Township; and Emma, the wife of William Kahl, a Lyon County farmer.
Johannes Schemmel was educated in the public schools of Scott County, and for a time attended the local school in Lyon County. He helped his father on the family homestead until that gentleman had concluded to retire from active labors, when he was given his present farm property. To it he has added from time to time, until he owns two hundred and forty acres.
Johannes Schemmel was married July 13, 1899, to Miss Bertha Herdee, a resident of Richland Township, and a daughter of Hans and Katherina Herdee. Her father came from Scott County, and located in Lyon County at an early day. He is still engaged in farming. Mrs. Schemmel is the third member of a family of five children, born to her parents, all of whom are still living. She is the mother of one child, Emil J.
Mr. Schemmel is a hard working and upright man, and a large measure of success has attended his business ventures. He is a general farmer, raises all kind of grains, and is working more and more into stock farming. At the present time he reports eight head of horses, thirty-five head of cattle, and a hundred hogs on his place. In political matters he is a Republican, and takes a thoughtful and intelligent interest in the affairs of his country.
William Schemmel owns a handsome and well-appointed farm in section 22, Richland Township, and has long taken an active part in the agricultural development of Lyon County. He was born in Scott County, Iowa, and is a son of Marcus and Margarette (Bowie) Schemmel, both being born in Holstein, Germany. The father came to Scott County at an early day, where he engaged in farming. Later on he removed to Lyon County, where he is now living retired in Alvord. He was the father of the following family: August, Henry, William and Johannes, all engaged in farming in Richland Township; Lena, the wife of Fred Rumolir, a farmer of Richland Township; Emma, the wife of William Kahl, a farmer of Lyon County.
William Schemmel was educated in the Scott County public schools, and devoted his earlier manhood to the care of his father's extensive farm, which then consisted of three hundred and twenty acres. When his father retired from active life he gave the son one hundred and eighteen acres, on which the subject of this writing is now established.
William Schemmel was married February 27, 895 to Miss Maggie Jessen, of Lyon County. Mrs. Schemmel is a daughter of Peter and Maggie (Kruse) Jessen, both of whom were born in Holstein, Germany. Her father was always a laborer, and after the death of his wife in her fortieth year, has made his home with his daughter, Maggie. He was the father of six children, five of whom are now living, Ms. Schemmel being the second member of the family. William Schemmel and his wife have had four children born to them: Lillian, Harry, Tina and Elmer, all of whom are living and are at home.
Mr. Schemmel has served as school director one year, and votes the Republican ticket. He is a man of good character and fine reputation in the community where his industrious and useful years are passing, and all who know him bear willing testimony as to his manliness, integrity and unswerving industry.
William Schmidt, a farmer whose honest life and unflagging industry has been crowned with a large measure of success, owns a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in section 24, Wheeler Township, Lyon County. He was born in Prussia, January 29, 1860, the youngest child and only son of a family of three children of Frederick and Christina (Retz) Schmidt. In 1868 the family embarked on the sailing vessel 'Charlotte' and after a voyage of nine weeks and three days landed in New York, July 3rd. The next day being the Fourth, it may well be supposed that young William was enthused by a boy's delight. The father bought a small farm in Muscatine County, Iowa, but the family was in straitened circumstances, and the young son had to take his place as a wage earner, and was soon doing a man's work. When he was thirteen his mother died, and his father followed the same mysterious way within a year. From that time he was thrown upon his own resources, but in the great struggle for a position in life he proved himself equal to every requirement made upon him. In 1882 he came to Lyon County to enter the employ of Henry Weikert in Dale Township, and later rented the farm he now owns, and which he purchased in 1890.
Mr. Schmidt is a Democrat, and is now serving his second term as trustee of Wheeler Township. In December 1883 he was married to Miss Theresa Roth, who is a pioneer among the pioneers, having lived in Lyon County since she was five years old. She is the daughter of Josoeph and Annie B. (Lili:) Roth, both of whom are now dead. The father passed away March 29, 1893; the mother, August 13, 1902. She was a Bavarian; he a Wurtenburger. The biography of Joseph Roth would be interesting to the readers of this volume could it be obtained. Born as noted above in Germany, he received a classical education in his native land. Coming to America he was married in Waukegan, Illinois, and became a farmer. At the call of his adopted country, he enlisted for the Civil War in Company C, Ninety-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served for three years. In 1871 he brought his family to what was then wild country, but officially known as Lyon County, and settled on a homestead in section 30, Dale Township. "Jo" Roth, as he was commonly known, was a man of influence. His strong characteristics were honesty, fearlessness and a love of justice; and these qualities, with his educational training, made a man whom to know was to respect. When he came to this county he was a poor man, and in the early days taught a German school at Sheldon to help make a living. He was tireless in his efforts to advance the educational interests of the community; and with all this did not neglect his own farm. At his death Lyon County lost a successful farmer, and one of its public-spirited citizens. Ten children blessed this union: Annie, Henry, Frank, William, John, George, Myrtle, Alma, Ellen and Harvey.
D.A. Schoeneman, who is a resident of George, belongs to the well known lumber and grain firm of Schoeneman Brothers. This firm is represented in sixteen cities, including George, and over $300,000 is required to back their various enterprises. The firm consists of the brothers, Robert who has charge of the branch at Hull; Frank, Alvin and Charles, at Hawarden, where the general offices are located. Another brother, Otto, is engaged in farming. The family embraces three sisters, Lena, the wife of C. Bauman, of Milwaukee; Emma, the wife of A.F. Steffen, a hardware merchant; and Nannie, the wife of E.H. Reimann, who is a bank president at Hull.
W.D. Schoeneman, the father of this interesting family, was born in Germany, but left his native land soon after his marriage, and settled near Dodgeville, Wisconsin, where he became quite prosperous. In 1873 he came to Iowa and purchased land. He determined to enlarge his sphere of activities and make better provisions for his children, who were ready to take upon their shoulders the burden of business. Accordingly, in 1889 he began to invest what he could in lumber, and as the demand of this section at that time was so great his venture proved a remarkable success. He could not get it to his patrons rapidly enough, and the several branches he established met with quick success. Upon his death the firm was organized as it is at the present time. It is very successful, and all concerned with it are very prosperous. The yard in George was established in 1893, and presently there was built in connection with it a large elevator, having a capacity of 25,000 bushes daily. It is run in connection with the yard.
D.A. Schoeneman was born in Dodgeville, Wisconsin, December 28, 1871, and when he was two years old was brought by his parents to Iowa, where he lived on his father's farm, and attended the local schools, finishing with the neighboring high school. He soon developed a talent for business, and instead of farming he became a marked and successful business character. When the business was established in George he was put in charge of it. His success has justified the trust placed in him.
Mr. Schoeneman was married in 1898 to Miss Lillian Scott, and is now living in a beautiful home in George. He is a member of the George lodge of the Knights of Pythias, and is entitled to attend the grand lodge as a local representative. He also belongs to the George Lodge, No. 231, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is a member of the Modern Brotherhood of America. He has always been a Republican, and has been a member of the city council. For two terms he was the mayor of George.
William Schrers is a Lyon County farmer who has brought to the cultivation of his farm in Sioux township much of the thoroughness with which his fathers tilled their little estates in his native land, and made them fertile beyond the imagination of the western man, who thinks he is poor without hundreds of acres to be handled in some easy-going and slip-shod manner.
Mr. Schrers was born in Holland May 29, 1861, a son of Fred Schrers, who followed farming in Holland. William grew to manhood and secured his education at the very excellent local schools which that land provides for its children. In 1886 he came to America, landing in New York and making his way to the eastern part of Iowa, where he worked out for two years, and then operated rented land until 1895. That year he came to Lyon County, where he bought a farm, which proved a fortunate venture, as farm products were abundant for several years and prices ranged high.
Mr. Schrers was married May 12, 1885, Miss Maggie Bouten, a native of Holland, becoming his wife. To this union have come nine children; Mary, Minnie, Gertie, Frank, Matt, Annie, George, Fred and Leo, all being native to the Iowa soil. Mr. Schrers is a Democrat. He has built him a fine farm, and now owns one hundred and sixty acres of as choice land as the sun shines upon in the state. Nearly all of it is under cultivation, and the balance given to meadow and pasture. The buildings are good and the farm grove thrifty and pleasant. He is considered one of the leading farmers of the county, and a man of very high character and standing.
Charles Schultz, who is now a resident of Doon, Lyon county, has been in many places and tried many things, but the larger part of his life has been devoted to agriculture. He has proved himself an all around business man, ready for whatever turn the wheel of fortune may make and quick to profit by any opportunity to turn an honest dollar.
Mr. Schultz first came to Lyon county in 1870, when he took up as a pre-emption claim the northwest quarter of section 32, Wheeler township, and the following year made a homestead entry of the southwest quarter of the same section. Here he built a house and barn, with the other buildings necessary for the successful operation of these fertile acres. About 1880 he sold this place, and bought an improved farm in Garfield township, on which he made his home for some five years. At the end of this period he disposed of this place, and purchased another farm in the same township, which he held until 1890. That year he sold his farm and moved to Rock Valley, where he went into a restaurant and bakery business, which he carried on for about a year. This establishment he sold, and bought the Sioux Center House at Sioux Center, and operated it as landlord for a year. His next move was to go to South Dakota, and take a farm, to the cultivation of which he devoted three years. Selling this, he was engaged in farming until 1900. That year he disposed of his South Dakota possession, and coming back to Doon, bought a property which he has improved for a permanent home.
Mr. Schultz was born in Germany in 1845, and came to America in 1853. The ensuing ten years were spent in farm life, and in 1863 he enlisted in Company I, Eighth Iowa Cavalry. The regiment was organized, mounted and drilled at Louisville, Kentucky, and hurried into the field, and at once engaged in hard fighting at Nashville. In fact the Eighth was a fighting regiment, and did much hard work in the pursuit of General Forrest, being almost all the time in the saddle, and only stopping when the exhaustion of the command compelled it to return to Nashville and recruit. They were engaged in a two-days' fight near Atlanta, where they also engaged in a three-weeks' campaign, meeting with a repulse which drove them back to Nashville to again recruit. The regiment was continuously in the active campaign until the ending of the war. Mr. Schultz was wounded once by a rebel bullet striking him in the leg. At one time the regiment was surrounded by the rebels and narrowly escaped capture or annihilation. The colonel commanding was shot six times, and the captain of his company was shot twice in the right arm, once in the left arm, and once in the shoulder. The regiment was about destroyed when seventy-two men saw an opening through which they charged and escaped, Mr. Schultz being with them. After the war the regiment was engaged in guarding arsenals and supplies until August, 1865, when it was discharged. Mr. Schultz returned to Elkader, Iowa, where he remained until his coming to Lyon county.
Mr. Schultz is a son of Christian and Dora Schultz, both of whom were natives of Germany. They brought their children to this country, locating in Clayton county, where they remained until 1870, when they settled in Lyon county in company with their son Charles. The mother was the first white woman to settle in Wheeler township. Both father and mother have now passed away, he at the age of seventy-six, and she at the age of seventy-five. Mr. Schultz was married in 1872 to Miss Jane Hyde, a native of Iowa, and a daughter of John H. and Hannah (Harn) Hyde. To this union have come five children: Lilly Belle, the wife of John Wagner, and the mother of three children--Hazel, Gertrude and Helen; George W., married and the father of three children,--Benjamin, Bertha and Bernice; Mary, the wife of William Richards, and the mother of one child, Vera; Bertha the wife of C. Carver, and the mother of one child, Cecil; Hannah, at home, a teacher by profession. Mr. Schultz belongs to the White Lake (South Dakota) post of the Grand Army of the Republic, where his wife belongs to the Relief Corps.
J. D. Schultz, a citizen of Rock Rapids, Lyon County, Iowa, was born in the northern part of Holland, where he was reared on a small farm belonging to his father. Here he received such practical instruction in the art of gardening that he chose it as his life work, setting up for himself in that line when he reached the age of twenty-one years. When he reached the age of manhood he determined to carry out what had long been in his mind, and find a home for himself to the westward of the rolling deep, where young men of push and enterprise had a golden future before them, according to all the reports that had come to his boyhood home. Accordingly in 1872 he crossed the ocean and secured employment with the eminent financier, Rockefeller, where he remained long enough to secure substantial savings. With these in hand he came to the west and located himself. In 1883 he bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres for himself in Lyon County, and so improved it that it soon became known as one of the model farms of this part of the state. Some years later he sold out and removed to Rock Rapids.
Mr. Schultz was married in 1889 to Miss Mary Schmall, a native of Germany. Of the three children born to their union all have been swept away by that dread scourge, diphtheria. They belong to the German Lutheran Church and are highly regarded in the community for their kindly spirit, strict integrity and zealous interest in all that makes for the public good.
Thomas Severson, though still a young man, is numbered among the old settlers of Lyon county, and has wrought his full share in the making of the county and the development of the great northwest.
Mr. Severson was born in Norway September 10, 1869, and his father, Sever, came of old Norwegian stock. A sketch of him appears on another page. When Thomas Severson was a year old he was brought by his parents to this country, who made their home in Lyon county, and here he grew to manhood amid the scenes and incidents of life on the wild prairie. When he was fifteen years of age he struck out for himself in the great world and has become one of the leading citizens of the county. He was married July 5, 1892, to Miss Carrie Martin, who was born in Sweden, March 12, 1871. To this marriage have come eight children: Agnes, Mamie, Arthur, Selmar, Elvira, Wilfred, Alvin and Edith - all born in Lyon county.
Mr. Severson is a Republican, and is regarded as an influential citizen. By hard work and good management he has made a success in his business operations, and now owns two hundred and nine acres of choice farm land, nearly all of which is under cultivation, no more land being used for grass and pasture than the needs of the place require. The farm buildings are roomy and comfortable and the grove is green and thrifty.
Amos Severtson, a thrifty and prosperous farmer, whose home is in Centennial Township, Lyon County, and an honored veteran of the Civil war, was born in Norway June 22, 1840. He secured his education in the local schools of his native community, and when he was eighteen years old crossed the ocean to find on American soil a field large enough for his noblest efforts. He landed in Quebec, Canada, where he remained for a year, and in 1859 came to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he was living when the war fever broke over the country, and he hastened to respond to the first call of the Union government for troops, becoming a member of Company F, First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. He served gallantly and loyally throughout the war, receiving two serious wounds, one in the arm and the other in the head.
After his return from the "tented field," Mr. Severtson bought a farm in Winneshiek County, Iowa, on which he was engaged for four years, when he sold out and took instead a homestead claim in Lyon County. Here he built a claim shanty 16 by 20 feet, a sod barn, and such other structures as the development of the claim needed and he could accomplish. His first breaking was done with oxen, but he presently became forehanded, and had good horses for his work.
Mr. Severtson was married October 14, 1865, to Miss Olena Olson. She was born January 2, 1833, and died April 29, 1904. They had four children: Simon; Rachel, dead; Andrew, dead; and Ole. The subject of this sketch is a Republican, and has served on both the town and county boards, being a member of the latter body for three years. He owns a find farm consisting of a half section of land, and has about one hundred and seventy-five acres under active cultivation. His farm buildings are ample and adequate to every need of the place, and he has carried on a diversified farming that has yielded him rich results.
R.O. Shannon came from Floyd county, Iowa, in 1886, to Lyon county, and in company with his brother started the first hardware store in what was then the new town of Larchwood. His home, however, was then at Rock Rapids. For two years the firm did a very successful business, and then Mr. Shannon sold out his interest, moved to Larchwood, and bought a small stock of groceries, which he installed in the building in which he is still doing the leading grocery trade of the town. Increasing business compelled the increase of store accommodations so that now he has a room 22 by 72 feet. After his term as postmaster was brought to an end by the election of a Democratic administration he added to his stock several lines, such as boots and shoes, and gentlemen's furnishing goods.
Mr. Shannon was born in Floyd county, Iowa, June 27, 1846, and was reared on a farm. His wife, Viola, is the daughter of David and Elizabeth Dyas. She became the mother of one child, Elizabeth Almira, and died March 1, 1900. Mr. Shannon was again married, December 11, 1902, Mary, daughter of Robert Shidler, becoming his wife. She has borne him one child, Robert Joyce.
The parents of R.O. Shannon were John and Almira (Bohn) Shannon, both natives of New York, and the parents of five boys and six girls. The ancestry of the subject of this writing is largely German and Irish, and many of his forefathers were in this country in its early days. They were in the main industrious and upright people, men of character and ability, with names to be proud of, and lives to be remembered. Mr. Shannon belongs to the Larchwood Lodge, No. 539, Independent order of Odd Fellows, and also Camp No. 319, Modern Woodmen of America, also of this place.
He is a Republican, and has been school director eight years. At present he is treasurer of the town and also of the school district. During the Harrison administration he was postmaster four years. He is a Methodist, and has been president of the trustees of that body for eight years, and treasurer of the church for five years. A beautiful farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Sioux township, near Larchwood, belongs to him, and he takes pride in taking care of its products. It is now worth at least seventy-five dollars an acre.
G.A. Shipman, a noted resident of Rock Rapids, was born July 22, 1846, in Franklin county, New York, where his early life was passed in farm work and in attendance upon the local schools. He enlisted as a member of Company H, Thirteenth New York Heavy Artillery, and was later transferred to the sixth New York Heavy Artillery, Company H. From Malone, the scene of his enlistment, he went to Elmira, where he remained a short time engaged in drilling. At Fort Schuyler, New York, he spent some two months. His command was then ordered to Norfolk, Virginia, making the journey on a government transport. There arms were drawn for the regiment, and it remained in camp during the first summer out, principally engaged in guard duty. Mr. Shipman, who was not seventeen years old at the time of his enlistment, January 4, 1863, very speedily mastered his military duties, and when the regiment moved out into the field, and engaged in active service, was in every way competent to acquit himself creditably. On board transports they moved down the Elizabeth river, and up the James, where they disembarked, and marched to the Wilderness tavern, where they were assigned to the Second Division of the Second Army Corps, under General Hancock, May 4, 1864. The regiment fought in the great battle of Spottsylvania, May 7 to 9, and from there to North Ann, May 21 to 23. There Mr. Shipman, with seven others was engaged in working a gun, when six of the eight were almost instantly killed. The gun, which was hit by twenty-seven rifle balls, was spiked before it was abandoned. When he reached the Union lines General Terry asked after the gun, but only said when told that it was left behind, "Never mind, we'll have it back before night." And sure enough, it was recaptured before the fall of that night. At Cold Harbor, the regiment was strongly intrenched, and did much hard fighting. This was June 2d, and from there it crossed the James below "Dutch Gap," where it was detached from the Second Army Corps, and stationed at Bermuda, where it remained during the war, guarding a line of breastworks. At one time it was cut off from its supplies, and for three days its men lived on four hard tack a day. On the night of January 23, 1865, five rebel gunboats dropped down and cut the heavy chain, which had been thrown across the river, and continued on their way down. One of the boats, which had run aground was regarded as dangerous, and volunteers were called upon to take a piece of artillery, and blow her out of the water. Mr. Shipman and seven others volunteered for this dangerous duty, and when they reached the boat, found her in such a position that she could not fire a shot. The assailants bombarded her until her engines were destroyed, and she was put out of service for the rest of the war, though she was towed off the following night by the enemy. On January 24, 1865, while the rebels were shelling the works, a shell dropped into the Union lines. Mr. Shipman, a great risk, picked up the shell and threw it back to the enemy where it harmlessly exploded.
After the fall of Richmond Mr. Shipman and a few others made a trip to that city, confiscating on the way an aged mule, harness and carriage. They spent the day sight-seeing in that city and then made their way to Petersburg, exchanging the mule for a horse on their way. From Petersburg they returned to camp, capturing on the way six geese on which they banqueted in camp. Mr. Shipman was discharged September 4, 1865, being the only one of eight cousins who enlisted with him to return unharmed. Six were killed and one seriously wounded.
Mr. Shipman returned to the old farm in Franklin county, New York, but only remained there until the following spring when he went to Stark county, Illinois, where he was engaged in farming for a year. In the spring of 1867 he located in Jones county, Iowa. There he remained near Monticello until the month of May, 1872, when he made his first appearance in Lyon county, Iowa, driving in from Iowa with a covered wagon, and taking up a homestead in Dale township, being the northwest quarter of section 8. His entry papers were filed in the land office at Sioux City, and his first home was a log house, which he built from material cut on Rock river. The siding and shingles he hauled from LeMars. Here he remained until 1878, when he rented the farm, and began railroading. Mr. Shipman bought an extra team of horses to engage in grading, and after two weeks' work returned with them to spend Sunday, when in the night the barn took fire and they were destroyed with all his seed grain and some cattle. He continued on the work of grading for some months, and then coming to Rock Rapids in the fall of 1879, engaged in the draying business being the first to start that line in the city. That same year he established a livery stable in company with Daniuel Shannon, with whom he continued some two years, and for eleven years was a grain dealer working for W.W. Gardner. For a time he was engaged in selling agricultural implements, and then went on the road as a salesman for the Milwaukee Harvester Company. In August, 1902, he engaged as a grain buyer for Hubbard & Palmer, and is still in their employ.
Mr. Shipman is prominent in Masonic circles, and is affiliated with Border Lodge, No. 406. He is also a member of the Rock Rapids camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, and the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic. He is a member of the Congregational church, and his honorable character and upright life give no discredit to his religious professions. He maintains a comfortable home, and is regarded as one of the good citizens of the community.
Mr. Shipman was married January 1, 1874, to Miss Anna B., daughter of Andrew and Tabitha Elbright, and to their union have come the following children: Elvin, Neva, Will and Clint. The sons are engaged in the building of cement sidewalks, being experts in that line, also connected with the Rock Rapids laundry. Elvin is the manager at Rock Rapids.
William Shipman, the father of G.A., was born in Franklin county, New York, in 1818, where he remained until the spring of 1867, when he moved to Jones county, Iowa, and five years later to Lyon county, where he secured a homestead in Wheeler township. In 1880 he removed to Rock Valley, where he built a hotel, the first in the place, where he lived until his death, July 5, 1888. Hannah Sabin, his wife, and the mother of the subject of this writing was born in Malone,New York, in 1821, and there she died in 1854. In 1856 William Shipman married for his second wife, Susan Harwood, who was born in Bangor, New York, in 1836, where she lived until her marriage. She proved a kind and devoted mother to the bereaved family, and the most tender memories of her survive.
To William and Hannah (Sabin) Shipman were born the following children: Clinton, who was killed at the battle of Winchester, October 19, 1864, was a member of the First New York Light Artillery; Cornelia, who died in May, 1870; Olive and Ella, both of whom passed away in infancy; and G.A.--whose name introduces this article. To the second marriage were born: Freddie, who died a babe; Howard, now engaged in farming in Rock Valley; Emma, whose home is in Parker, South Dakota; and Willie, who died a babe.
Abner Shipman, the grandfather of G.A., was born of English parentage, and served as an American soldier in the war of 1812. His wife, Mary Emerson, who was born in 1787, died in Fort Covington, New York, in 1864. William Sabin, the maternal grandfather of the subject of this writing, was born in New York, and was engaged in farming all his life near Malone, New York, where he died in 1864.
Anna B. Ebright, who became the wife of G.A. Shipman, was born January 5, 1847, in Adams county, Ohio, and came to Lyon county,, Iowa, in company with the family of John Thompson. She was married January 1, 1874.
SCHUMANN, ALBERT H.
Albert H. Schumann, who has made a good record as a young farmer in Larchwood township, Lyon county, and is now in prosperous circumstances, the result of his own toil and economy, was born in Berry township, Dane county, Wisconsin, July 11, 1869. His father was born and bred in Germany, and came to this country in 1848. Locating in Dane county, he followed farming until his death May 12, 1900. In 1862 he joined a volunteer company of Wisconsin Union soldiers, and served throughout the war. He was wounded and suffered severely from an attack of fever, but remained with the command until the dawn of peace when he was honorably discharged.
Albert H. Schumann grew to manhood in his native county, and there received a very good public school education. At the age of fourteen years he took the place of a man on the farm, and from that time met his full share of the family responsibilities. In 1892 he came to Sioux county, Iowa, where he was employed as a farm hand for about a year, when he transferred himself and his belongings to a rented farm in Lyon county, which he occupied for some five years. In 1898 he bought a farm in Larchwood township, Lyon county, in the management of which he has been unusually successful.
Mr. Schumann and Miss Lena Klein were married September 20, 1893. She was born in Franklin township, Sauk county, Wisconsin, January 7, 1866. Her father Christopher Klein, was engaged in farming in Wisconsin, but in 1886, sold out and removed to Sioux county, Iowa. He is now living a retired life in Hull. Mr. and Mrs. Schumann are the parents of a family of three children: Emelia, Selma, and Lytia. All three children are natives of Lyon county. Mr. Schumann is a Republican. At the present time he owns a quarter section of fine farming land, under high cultivation, well fitted out with farm buildings, and a nice grove. He has fruit trees that have already come into bearing.
Jeremiah Shade was born September 11, 1828, on a farm eighteen miles southwest of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. His parents were George and Hannah Shade. Germans, who at the time of his birth each had children by a former marriage -- the father five, and the mother one. "Jerry" was the oldest of the thirteen, making a family of nineteen. Located three and one-half miles over the mountain from the district log school house with only a six months' school during the winter, his education was neglected.
When eight years of age he began to work out -- the first year for two suits of tow clothing, one pair of cowhide boots and four months' schooling. Following his father's trade, that of a cooper, when twenty years of age he had saved fifty dollars in gold. With this and a change of tow clothing, the product of his mother's industry and loom, and a pair of homemade shoes tied in a bundle attached to a hickory cane thrown over his shoulder, "Jerry" footed it over the hills to Pittsburg. From this point he worked his passage down the Ohio river to Cairo, thence up to Peoria, Illinois, where he found employment at his trade, soon earning and saving sufficient money to help his father and the family to move out to this new Eldorado.
November 8, 1849, in the town of Lancaster, Illinois (now Glassford,) he married Miss Mary Isabella M. Martin, then in her sixteenth year, a native of Perry county, Pennsylvania, the youngest child of Nathaniel and Rebecca Martin. Mr. Martin was an Irishman by birth, born in Cork, Ireland.
Mrs. Martin was Scotch and Welsh, a native of Pennsylvania. To this union were born ten children, to-wit: Hannah R., born at Lancaster, Illinois, April 30, 1851; Robert A., born at Lancaster, Illinois, February 17, 1853; Jeremiah E., born at Lancaster, Illinois, October 4, 1854; Harriet A., born at Towanda, Illinois, May 27;, 1857; Mary L., born at Towanda, Illinois, July 16, 1859; Seymour E., born at Hickory Grove, Iowa, December 10, 1861; Charles G., born at Hickory Grove, Iowa, March 29, 1865; Ostor B., born at Hickory Grove, Iowa, February 18, 1867; Harry F., born at Hickory Grove, Iowa,July 16, 1873.
Five of the above have passed on before, to-wit: Harriet A., died at Towanda, Illinois, March 1, 1858; Robert A., died at Hickory Grove, Iowa, April 8, 1873; Harry F., died at Hickory Grove, Iowa, August 22, 1873; Emma M., died at Rock Rapids, Iowa, May 8, 1883; Ostor B., died at Cherokee, Iowa April 13, 1900.
In 1853, he bought eighty acres of timbered land near Lancaster, (now Glassford), Illinois, clearing and tilling sixty acres of the same. From this time until the fall of 1860 he bought and sold land and moved from one farm to another, in Peoria and McLean counties, Illinois.
The financial crisis of 1857 found him over $10,000 in debt -- mostly upon unimproved land near Towanda, Illinois. This indebtedness he cancelled by surrendering the titles to the land purchased.
In the fall of 1860 he loaded his family, -- wife and four children, and household effects into a wagon and emigrated to Delaware county, Iowa, settling at Hickory Grove. Purchasing a fifty-acre home, he farmed in crop season, and coopered at odd times and during the winter months.
When the Civil war broke out he soon became an active member of the Republican party, continuing in the faith until death. On account of his large family he did not consider it his duty to enlist and go the front, but did assist the families of those who did, to over $1,000, of means he and his family acquired, mostly by hard labor.
In the spring of 1874 he again emigrated to this (Lyon) county, with his family, arriving in Rock Rapids May 23d. At this time he was the owner of 1.440 acres of Lyon county soil, and a few days after his arrival further added to his holdings by purchasing the southeast quarter of section 5, township 99. range 45. immediately adjoining Rock Rapids on the south-west.
In the fall of 1874, mainly through his efforts, the Rev. J.W. Rigby organized the First Methodist class in Lyon county. Mr. Shade had been converted to the German Evangelical faith in Delaware county, in 1861. The class were himself, wife, and daughter, Hannah. Mrs. M.S. Thompson being the first probationer and he was made leader, the first regular service being held by the Rev. Rigby Sunday, November 8, 1874, at 11 a.m. Rev. L. Hartsough, stationed at Sioux Falls, was the first presiding elder in charge.
October 12, 1875, he was elected county treasurer, taking the oath of office January 1, 1876, continuing in this position as the almost unanimous choice of the people, three terms, or until January 1, 1882. In 1879, Mr. Shade was made chairman of the building board of Rock Rapids Methodist Episcopal church, the first erected in the county.
On May 17, 1880, at the first meeting of the board of directors of the Bank of Rock Rapids he was elected its president, this institution being on the 17th day of April, 1884, merged into the First National Bank of which he was retained as president. This was the first national bank organized in the county. He was succeeded in this position by B.L. Richards, January 12, 1886.
The great sorrow of his life occurred April 25, 1886, when his wife of his youth and mother of his children was stricken with paralysis and passed away in a few hours. From this time on during the remainder of his life, his devotion to the religion of his choice, and desire to assist his fellows in every good word and work, increased as the years sped by.
After nearly thirty-seven years of wedded life, the loss of her whom the family, as well as many friends and neighbors affectionately called mother, and his love of a home life left him like a ship afloat without a rudder. Naturally of a self-reliant disposition this desire to have a home he could call his own, led him to wed Miss Levisa S. Millar, at Indianola, Iowa, August 27, 1889, who survives him. She proved a faithful consort and helper, assisting in many ways to lighten the burden of his declining years.
After giving his children during life goodly sums, assisting them to get a start in life, he left by will a comfortable fortune to his widow and children, equitably distributed. Many old settlers of Lyon county were objects of his neighborly benefactions and remember him as a man of integrity andmoral worth.
In early life he became a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Jeremiah Shade died at Larchwood, Iowa, Sunday, September 14, 1901, aged seventy-three years, three days. Short funeral services were held at the family residence and the following Tuesday the remains were conveyed to the Methodist Episcopal church at Rock Rapids, where Dr. Emory Millar, of Indianola, Iowa, (a brother-in-law by marriage), assisted by W.J. Carr, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church, Rock Rapids, and Rev. G.H. Croker, pastor of the First Congregational church of Larchwood, conducted the services. Rev. Millar took as a basis for his remarks, the thought "Why does it pay a man to lead a good life?" At the close of the service at the church a large concourse of old neighbors, early settlers, friends and acquaintances of the deceased and family, followed the remains to the beautiful cemetery south of town, where after a few well chosen remarks by Rev. A.H. Bryan, pastor of his home church, his mortal remains were laid to rest in the family lot, beside those of his mother. Peace to his ashes, and may his life and example continue through all time to wield an influence to assist in the up-building of the human race.
SHANNON, MRS. DANIEL H.
Mrs. Daniel H. Shannon, whose maiden name was Alice E. Stevens, is a lady who has long been a resident of Rock Rapids, Lyon County, and here her modest virtues and kindly character are well known. She was born in New York and her father, Solomon King Stevens, was also born in New York, and died in Iowa in September 1876. Our subject was married to Daniel H. Shannon, who was born September 19, 1844 and died June 19, 1889. By this marriage she became the mother of three children: Winnie M., a carpenter and builder; Edwin C. is in the telephone business, and is living at home with his mother. The oldest child, George E. died July 22, 1876, when a little more than a year old.
Daniel H. Shannon, a native of New York, was in early life a clerk in a dry goods store, but later became interested in hardware establishment, and thoroughly mastered the business. Finally he became a partner with his brother-in-law in a hardware store at Marble Rock, which they conducted for about a year, when Mr. Shannon, disposing of his interest at that point, put in a stock of hardware at Elgin, Iowa. For some four years he confined himself to hardware, but then added groceries and continued some four and a half years longer. At the expiration of that period he sold out and removed to Rock Rapids, in March 1883. Here at first he engaged in the livery business, and then in a furniture store. This he sold, and constructing the Union block, filled one of his stores with a selected hardware stock. He was burned out in 1884, but not discouraged he resumed business on a larger scale. In 1889 he was burned out a second time, this time the shock proving so great, that he never resumed active business. He rebuilt his block of stores on Main Street, which, however, were not completed until after his death. Mrs. Shannon now rents them. She also owns another brick block on the business street, while the beautiful family home, which he completed before his death, is still occupied by her and her younger son.
Mrs. Shannon was very lonely after the loss of her husband, and to fill her mind became a nurse, an occupation that she was obliged to renounce after a trial of three years, as her health could not endure the strain. So she has returned to her home, and is now passing the evening of her days surrounded by the loving care and devotion of many friends, her children looking after with devoted filial affection.
Solomon K. Stevens, father of Mrs. Shannon, was born in New York, and early in life removed to Illinois, where he lived many years on a farm. When he died in Iowa he had passed his sixty-ninth birthday. His ancestry followed Yankee lines.
R.O. Shannon came from Floyd county, IA, in 1886, to Lyon County, and in company with his brother started the first hardware store in what was then the new town of Larchwood. His home, however, was then at Rock Rapids. For two years the firm did a very successful business, and then Mr. Shannon sold out his interest, moved to Larchwood, and bought a small stock of groceries, which he installed in the building in which he is still doing the leading grocery trade of the town. Increasing business compelled the increase of store accommodations so that now he has a room 22 by 72 feet. After his term as postmaster was brought to an end by the election of a Democratic administration he added to his stock several lines, such as boots and shoes, and gentlemen's furnishing goods.
Mr. Shannon was born in Floyd county, IA, June 27, 1846, and was reared on a farm. His wife, Viola, is the daughter of David and Elizabeth Dyas. She became the mother of one child, Elizabeth Almira, and died March 1, 1900. Mr. Shannon was again married, Dec 11, 1902, Mary, daughter of Robert Shidler, becoming his wife. She has borne him one child, Robert Joyce.
The parents of R. O. Shannon were John and Almira (Bohn) Shannon, both natives of New York, and the parents of five boys and six girls. The ancestry of the subject of this writing is largely German and Irish, and many of his forefathers were in this country in its early days. They were in the main industrious and upright people, men of character and ability, with names to be proud of, and lives to be remembered. Mr. Shannon belongs to the Larchwood Lodge, No. 539, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also Camp No 319, Modern Woodmen of America,, also of this place. He is a Republican, and has been school director eight years. At present he is treasurer of the town and also of the school district. During the Harrison administration he was postmaster four years. He is a Methodist, and has been president of the trustees of that body for eight years, and treasurer of the church for five years. A beautiful farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Sioux Township, near Larchwood, belongs to him, and he takes pride in taking care of its products. It is now worth at least seventy-five dollars an acre.
G. A. Shipman, a noted resident of Rock Rapids, was born July 22, 1846, in Franklin county, NY, where his early life was passed in farm work and in attendance upon the local schools. He enlisted as a member of the Company H, Thirteenth New York Heavy Artillery, and was later transferred to the Sixth New York Heavy Artillery, Company H. From Malone, the scene of his enlistment, he went to Elmira, where he remained a short time engaged in drilling. At Fort Schuyler, New York, he spent some two months. His command was then ordered to Norfolk, Virginia, making the journey on a government transport. There arms were drawn for the regiment, and it remained in camp during the first summer out, principally engaged in guard duty. Mr. Shipman, who was not seventeen years old at the time of his enlistment, January 4, 1863, very speedily mastered his military duties, and when the regiment moved out into the field, and engaged in active service, was in every way competent to acquit himself creditably. On board transports they moved down the Elizabeth river, and up the James, where they disembarked, and marched to the Wilderness tavern, where they were assigned to the Second Division of the Second Army Corps, under General Hancock, May 4, 1864. The regiment fought in the great battle of Spottsylvania, May 7 to 9, and from there to North Ann, May 21 to 23. There Mr. Shipman, with seven others was engaged in working a gun, when six of the eight were almost instantly killed. The gun, which was hit by twenty-seven rifle balls, was spiked before it was abandoned. When he reached the Union lines General Terry asked after the gun, but only said when told that it was left behind, ""Never mind, we''ll have it back before night."" And sure enough, it was recaptured before the fall of that night. At Cold Harbor, the regiment was strongly intrenched, and did much hard fighting. This was June 2d, and from there it crossed the James below ""Dutch Gap,"" where it was detached from the Second Army Corps, and stationed at Bermuda, where it remained during the war, guarding a line of breastworks. At one time it was cut off from its supplies, and for three days its men lived on four hard tack a day. On the night of January 23, 1865, five rebel gunboats dropped down and cut the heavy chain, which had been thrown across the river, and continued on their way down. One of the boats, which had run aground was regarded as dangerous, and volunteers were called upon to take a piece of artillery, and blow her out of the water. Mr. Shipman and seven others volunteered for this dangerous duty, and when they reached the boat, found her in such a position that she could not fire a shot. The assailants bombarded her until her engines were destroyed, and she was put out of service for the rest of the war, though she was towed off the following night by the enemy. On January 24, 1865, while the rebels were shelling the works, a shell dropped into the Union lines. Mr. Shipman, at great risk, picked up the shell and threw it back to the enemy where it harmlessly exploded.
After the fall of Richmond, Mr. Shipman and a few others made a trip to that city, confiscating on the way an aged mule, harness and carriage. They spent the day sight-seeing in that city and then made their way to Petersburg, exchanging the mule for a horse on their way. From Petersburg they returned to camp, capturing on the way six geese on which they banqueted in camp. Mr. Shipman was discharged September 4, 1865, being the only one of eight cousins who enlisted with him to return unharmed. Six were killed and one seriously wounded.
Mr. Shipman returned to the old farm in Franklin county, New York, but only remained there until the following spring when he went to Stark county, Illinois, where he was engaged in farming for a year. In the spring of 1867 he located in Jones county, Iowa. There he remained near Monticello until the month of May, 1872, where he made his first appearance in Lyon county, Iowa, driving in from Iowa with a covered wagon, and taking up a homestead in Dale township, being the northwest quarter of section 8. His entry papers were filed in the land office at Sioux City, and his first home was a log house, which he built from material cut on the Rock river. The siding and shingles he hauled from LeMars. Here he remained until 1878 when he rented the farm, and began railroading. Mr. Shipman bought an extra team of horses to engage in grading, and after two weeks'' work returned with them to spend Sunday, when in the night the barn took fire and they were destroyed with all his seed grain and some cattle. He continued on the work of grading for some months, and then coming to Rock Rapids in the fall of 1879, engaged in the draying business being the first to start that line in the city. That same year he established a livery stable in company with Daniel Shannon, which whom he continued some two years, and for eleven years was a grain dealer working for W. W. Gardner. For a time he was engaged in selling agricultural implements, and then went on the road as a salesman for the Milwaukee Harvester Company. In August, 1902, he engaged as a grain buyer for Hubbard and Palmer, and is still in their employ.
Mr. Shipman is prominent in Masonic circles, and is affiliated with Border Lodge, No. 406. He is also a member of the Rock Rapids camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, and the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic. He is a member of the Congregational church and his honorable character and upright life give no discredit to his religious professions. He maintains a comfortable home, and is regarded as one of the good citizens of the community.
Mr. Shipman was married January 1, 1874, to Miss Anna B. , daughter of Andres and Tabitha Ebright, and to their union have come the following children: Elvin, Neva, Will and Clint. The sons are engaged in the building of cement sidewalks, being experts in that line, also connected with the Rock Rapids laundry. Elvin is the manager at Rock Rapids.
William Shipman, the father of G.A., was born in Franklin county, New York, in 1818, where he remained until the spring of 1867, when he moved to Jones county, Iowa, and five years later to Lyon county, where he secured a homestead in Wheeler township. In 1880 he removed to Rock Valley, where he lived until his death, July 5, 1888. Hannah Sabin, his wife, and mother of the subject of this writing was born in Malone, New York, in 1821, and there she died in 1854. In 1856 William Shipman married for his second wife, Susan Harwood, who was born in Bangor, New York, in 1836, where she lived until her marriage. She proved a kind and devoted mother to the bereaved family, and the most tender memories of her survive.
To William and Hannah (Sabin) Shipman were born the following children: Clinton, who was killed at the battle of Winchester, October 19, 1864, was a member of the First New York Light Artillery; Cornelia, who died in May, 1870; Olive and Ella, both of whom passed away in infancy; and G.A.- whose name introduces this article. To the second marriage were born: Freddie, who died a babe; Howard, now engaged in farming in Rock Valley; Emma, whose home is in Parker, South Dakota; and Willie, who died a babe.
Abner Shipman, the grandfather of G.A., was born of English parentage, and served as an American soldier in the war of 1812. His wife, Mary Emerson, who was born in 1787, died in Fort Covington, New York, in 1864. William Sabin, the maternal grandfather of the subject of this writing, was born in New York, and was engaged in farming all his life near Malone, New York, where he died in 1864.
Anna B. Enbright, who became the wife of G.A. Shipman, was born January 5, 1847, in Adams county, Ohio and came to Lyon county, Iowa in company with the family of John Thompson. She was married January 1, 1874.
William Siebrands whose residence is in the township of Liberal, Lyon county, where he owns a fine and well appointed farm, which he has reclaimed from the wild prairie, and where he is known as an earnest and hard working cultivator of the soil, and withal a most upright and honorable citizen, was born in Holland in 1860, on a farm where his father, Dick Siebrands, lived and died. William was the first born in a family of seven children, and was reared to manhood on the family estate where he was afforded solid training in agricultural matters and such schooling as the ability of his parents afforded. For some years he worked out among the neighbors at farm work, though he remained at home until he had reached the age of twenty-three years.
Mr. Siebrands was married in Holland in 1880 to Miss Jennie Julius, also Holland-born and reared on a farm. To this union have come the following children: Dick, Annie, Abby, Simon, Minnie, Peter, Hiko, John and Jennie.
Mr. Siebrands brought his young and growing family to this country in 1883, in the hope that fate might deal more kindly with them than could be hoped for in the crowded region of the old world. He landed in New York and made his way to Illinois, where he lived until the fall of 1887, working out at anything he could find to do, in the meantime saving his money and making ready for an independent future. In September, 1887, the Siebrands, now increased to a family of three children, came to section 12, Dale township, where the parents settled on a farm and made a home for four years. In 1891 Mr. Siebrands bought their present home, and there they effected a location the following spring. The land was wild but beautiful prairie in section 34, Liberal township. To-day the place is thoroughly cultivated and provided with all needed improvements, such as a house, 16 by 24, 16 by 18, and 14 by 16, a barn 36 by 40, corn cribs and a granary, a fine grove, and all well fenced.
Mr. Siebrands has not by any means traveled an easy road. The work has been hard, and to make one's way in a strange country after having attained full age is by no means a light undertaking. He has had losses peculiar to the country, such as hail destroying his crops, and winds prostrating grains all but ready for the harvest, but perseverence has conquered all things, and he is now past all danger. A good farm well cultivated, a family of growing children that would honor any parentage, and a standing in the community as a thoroughly upright and honorable citizen, -- he may well be satisfied with the result of busy years.
John Sindt is a farmer who is well and favorably known in Riverside township, Lyon county, where he has lived many years. Born in Scott county, Iowa, Augst 5, 1854, he is a son of Henry and Bertha Sindt, both natives of Germany, who came to this country about 1848, and made their home in Scott county, where they had their home until about eight years ago, when they retired from farm life to make their residence in Davenport.
Mr. Sindt was reared to manhood and educated on the old home place. When he reached the age of twenty-three, he married to Miss Katie Klindt, January 29, 1877. She was also born in Germany, and came to the United States with her parents when fourteen years of age. Her parents were Henry and Catherine Klindt, native of Holstein, Germany, coming to the United States in 1868, and settling in Scott county, Iowa. There the father died at the age of sixty-seven. They were all farmer-folk, though in the old country Mr. Klindt was a wagon maker. Mr. and Mrs. Sindt have had three children born to them: Caroline O., at home; Hugo, at home until his marriage December 31, 1902, to Agnes Klahm; Theodore J., at home. The children have had the best schools, both at home, in Mankato, Minnesota, and at Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
After his marriage Mr. Sindt rented his father's farm for some eight years, and then bought a place, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, six miles northeast of Rock Rapids, and here he has made his home to the present time. His first house was a little shack 22 by 16 feet, in which the family lived three years, when it was rebuilt and increased from time to time, as well as greatly changed so that at the present it is a thoroughly modern home, complete and up-to-date in every respect. The barns and other buildings are as complete as those to be found on any farm in the county. Our subject borrowed money with which to build and start farming. He bought another eighty, and being a good business man, has greatly profited by his opportunities, and is now a wealthy man.
Politically, Mr. Sindt cast his first vote for Rutherford B. Hayes, but changed his affiliations at the time General Garfield was a candidate and since then has voted the Democratic ticket. The most of the time he has been here he has served on the school board, being at present treasurer. Other local positions have been filled by him, and he is always actively interested in town and county affairs. The family are all reared in the Lutheran faith. Both husband and wife are bright and progessive people, and have all the modern devices in the home and on the farm with which to facilitate work and make life less a burden.
John F. Smith is one of the most extensive resident landowners of Cleveland township. He is a Dane by descent but his ancestors have lived in the border country and for a number of generations have lived under Danish rule. He was born in North Schleswig, Germany, and was trained to speak the Danish tongue. He claims himself to be a Dane,and was born February 2, 1851, the fourth child and only son of Andrew Hanson and Meta Catrina (Sorgenfriy) Smidt.
SMITH, JOHN E.
John E. Smith is a well known business man of Rock Rapids who has achieved a very commendable measure of success against any among of trouble and misfortune, remarkable indeed for one who has seen so much misfortune, and showing what grit and determination will accomplish.
Mr. Smith was born in Colfax, Japer County, Iowa, and when he was five years old was taken by his parents into Black Hawk County, where he began learning the harness making trade when he was sixteen years old. He remained with one man for nearly seven years. When he was twenty-five years old he started business for himself in Grundy County, Iowa, with no capital worth speaking of except
his determination to succeed. For nearly eight years he conducted business there with marked success, when he sold out. In 1901 he purchased the stock of L.H. Larson, of Rock Rapids, and today carries a stock of over $3,500 in value, and is doing a fine business. In illustration of his determined spirit and indomitable pluck let this story be told. When a boy of about eight years old, he was riding a horse, which became frightened, and threw him to the ground, inflicting injuries which caused the amputation of his limb, and sent him through life on a wooden leg. He has had typhoid fever three times since entering business, rheumatism, ague for three years, and his wife was taken sick and died. With all this misfortune he has never lost heart, and has met with more than flattering success.
Mr. Smith was married in 1900 to Mrs. Emma Ross, and her boy, McKinley Ross, now ten years of age, is all he has left of his family, with which to take comfort. He has a fine residence where he and the boy live. They are much to each other. Both belong to the Catholic Church.
Barney Smith, the father of John E., was born in Ireland, and when eighteen years old came to this country, where he became a prosperous farmer, rearing a family of which Jennie is the oldest. She is a milliner at Grundy. Hugh owns a large livery business at Cedar Falls; Phinnie is the "right hand man" of his brother Hugh, in Cedar Falls livery and owns a farm in Dakota; Anna is a schoolteacher; Legoria is a plumber in Cedar Falls; James lives in Waterloo, Iowa.
SMITH, JOHN F.
John F. Smith tried various occupations while a young man, and spent three years at the shoemaker's bench. In 1871, against the wishes of his parents he came to the United States, borrowing money with which to make the journey, and landing in New York September 5, 1871. He had two uncles in this country, but was without money to reach them. Being independent in his spirit, he determined to get along on his own resources, and after much difficulty secured a place on Long Island where he earned five dollars a month and his board during the winter. During the winter he acquired quite a command of the English tongue, and in March he found work at two dollars a day near Cortland, New York, and in the following August he repaid his borrowed passage money, and then wrote to his uncle in Iowa. With that gentleman, who was in the butcher business in Durant, Cedar county, Iowa, he secured a position, which he held for a year. For the purpose of thoroughly mastering the trade he went to Davenport and found work at good pay. In June, 1875, Mr. Smith reported at Durant, where he formed a partnership, and bought out his uncle.
For a year and a half he continued to carry on the trade, when he sold out to his partner, but bought another butcher business in the same place. He bought a shop at Wilton Junction, Iowa, the firm name being Smith & Bannick, and during ten years the business of the firm more than quadrupled. In 1886 he and his partner invested in a tract of land in Cleveland township, which has since become valuable.
Mr. Smith found his health failing in 1897, and the partners divided the property of the firm. Mr. Smith taking the land in section 18, Cleveland township, where he now lives. He has made no attempt to farm. In 1899 Mr. Smith built a home with hardwood floor and hot air heating, and here he lives a retired life, attending mainly to his own hogs and cattle. He is
a Democrat. He takes much interest in school matters and is always alert for the best interest of the community in this direction.
The wedding ceremonies of Mr. Smith and Miss Theresa Stehr took place in 1894, and to this union were born three children: Nyle F., Leota C. and Nella. By a previous marriage Mr. Smith had one daughter, Clara, who is now at home. In 1891 Mr. Smith and his family made a trip to his old home.
SMITH W.G.---LYON COUNTY REPORTER
W. G. Smith and W. D. Junkin are associated owners and editors of the Lyon County Reporter, an exceedingly bright and interesting publication emanating from Rock Rapids, and filled with local and state news after a most attractive fashion.
W. G. Smith was born in 1869, and received his education in the Rock Rapids high school. When he had reached the age of sixteen years he entered the printing office of the Reporter, and began learning the printer's trade. He was apt in leaning, and had soon so mastered all the intricacies of the calling that in 1899 he became editor and proprietor of the paper. Though a young man, he is taking rank with the best newspapermen of the state, and the Reporter is well worthy of comparison with any similar publication.
W. D. Junkin was born in Fairfield, Iowa April 13, 1865, and also secured his education in the public schools. He learned the printer's trade in his father's office. When he was eighteen he went to Montana where he spent the ensuing five years. He was quite a traveler, and attended the World's Fair in Paris. At different times he has seen much of the earth, and has a good idea of many nations and races. Under President Harrison he received appointment as a mail clerk, and held that position for about seven years, when he came to Rock Rapids. Here he bought an interest in the Reporter, and was made postmaster by President McKinley, an office he still holds and discharges its duties much to the satisfaction of its patrons. W. W. Junkin, the father of W. D., of Fairfield, Iowa, was ranked as the oldest editor in the state of Iowa. He died in February 1903.
W. D. Junkin married Miss Vermot Petty, and they have two children: Louise and Kathryn, both of whom are at home.
Ole Sorenson, one of the oldest settlers of Lyon County, and an honored veteran of the Civil War, bears a name which he has kept unstained in every relation of life. He was born in Norway, July 12, 1833, where he was reared and educated in the local schools. His father, Soren Oleson, was a Norwegian farmer, and died in his native land.
With the laudable desire of bettering his condition, and feeling the opportunities of the New World to be far greater than the conditions he was entitled to in his own country, at the age of twenty-eight he came to America, by way of Quebec in 1861, and made his way to Winneshiek County, Iowa, where he was employed as a farm hand for a year. At the end of that time he heard the call of his adopted country as a call of need, and he responded by enlisting as a Union soldier in the Sixth Iowa Cavalry, in which he did faithful service throughout the war. After the return of peace he was honorably discharged, and coming back to Winneshiek County, bought a farm on which he was engaged for one and a half years. In 1869 he is found entering upon a homestead claim in Lyon County, at a time when the entire region was practically a wilderness, in which condition it continued for many years. He put u a claim dugout 12 by 14 feet, and a sod barn. His first breaking was done with oxen, and he had all the experiences common to life on the frontier.
Mr. Sorenson was married January 29, 1869, to Miss Margaret Thorson, who was born in Norway in 1848. They have had a family of nine children born to them, of whom seven are now living, as follows: Simon O., Albert, Theodore, Martin, Trena (dead), Tilda, Amelia (dead), and Margaret. All the above children were born in Lyon County.
Mr. Sorenson is a Republican. He has made a substantial success in life, and now owns a half section of land, all of which is under high cultivation, and is well provided with farm buildings according to the needs of stock and grain.
J. H. Steinmetz, for many years a leading citizen of Rock Rapids, Iowa, had more than a local reputation in his own line of trade, and was known far and wide as the leading harness dealer in northwestern Iowa. He carried the best of stock, had machinery modern and up-to-date in every respect, and had a host of friends.
Mr. Steinmetz was born in Indiana April 12, 1855, and at the age of thirteen he had three months' schooling. He then began learning the harness making trade under his father's instruction, with whom he worked in the shop for three years. After this he was a journeyman harness maker for several years at various places in the state. He was not satisfied with his progress as a wage worker, and determined to go into business for himself. With the small sum of twenty dollars he opened a business and went to work making a set of harness and doing repair work. The want of capital was a great hindrance, but he grimly bent to his work, and presently began to find it came easier. His determination to succeed aroused a friendly interest in the community, and custom began to seek him. He soon had a stock to sell from, and was recognized as a capable business man. This was in Salem, Iowa, where he established himself, and where he remained for eleven years. At the end of that time he had one of the most compact and desirable stocks of goods in his line in that part of the state. He disposed of his store and removed to State Center in the spring of 1888, staid there until 1895, when he removed to Hamburg, Iowa. There he remained until 1902, when he again sold. Coming to Lyon county that year, he bought the shop and stock of M. Fitzgerald, for which he paid $4,500. This establishment was greatly enlarged and increased by him until it became one of the best assorted harness stores in the state, with complete machinery, including a two-hundred-and-fifty dollar tug stitching sewing machine, as well as other expensive and complicated machinery needed in harness making.
Mr. Steinmetz owned a handsome residence in Rock Rapids which is occupied by his family. He also owned a second residence which he rented. In the Independent Order of Odd Fellows he was a faithful member and a hard worker; as he was also in the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr Steinmetz was married November 14, 1878, to Miss Sarah, daughter of William and Abbie (Reader) Bond. her father was a successful farmer, and donned the Union blue at the outbreak of the Civil war. He died on the field of battle, fighting for his country. To this union were born eleven children: Florence, Cecil, William H., Abbie, John, Virgil, Merton, Catherine, Clarence, Elizabeth and Thelma. Mr. Steinmetz died July 12, 1904, of cancer of stomach.
William Stoefen would surely be among the first to be mentioned in any list of the best farmers of Richland township, Lyon county, where his hard work, careful management and manifest integrity have combined to win for him a high place in the esteem and confidence of his community. Born in Germany September 11, 1852, he was a son of John Stoefen, who farmed all his life in the Fatherland.
William Stoefen attended the local schools in his native community and in 1875 came to this country, landing in New York, and making his way to Davenport, Iowa, where for fourteen years he worked at the trade of cabinet making. At the end of that time he entered Lyon county, and bought a farm, on which he settled. Here his home has since been maintained and he has become one of the leading men of his calling.
Mr. Stoefen was united in marriage March 29, 1877, to Miss Lizzie Looft, a German compatriot, who was born March 31, 1857. They have five children, of whom Ferdinand, Alma, Arnold and Emil were born in Davenport, and William in Lyon county.
Mr. Stoefen is a democrat, and is counted among the honorable and useful citizens of the community, though his extensive farming interests demand his close attention. His farm comprises a half section of choice land, almost entirely under cultivation, only such land being devoted to grass and pasture as the needs of the place indicate. The buildings are good, and the entire establishment is a model of it skind, including as it does a nicely growing gove.
Louis Sutter, who is a man of years and wide experience, and who bears a deserved reputation as one of the best businessmen of Rock Rapids, but is not retired, was born in Germany, August 4, 1831, a son of John and Lucretia Sutter. Both parents died in Germany, the father when fifty-two years old, and the mother at fifty-five.
Louis Sutter received his education in the old country, and left his native land for a home in the new world, March 1, 1854, in company with a brother. At first they were settled in Ohio, where Louis worked as a blacksmith, a trade he had mastered in his German home. In August of that year he went to Louisville, Ky.,where he did not long remain, his next stopping place being New Albany, Indiana. In March, 1855, he went to Dubuque, Iowa, where he spent several months and the latter part of the year being at McGregor, where he celebrated Christmas. Returning to Dubuque, he very soon journeyed to Cedar Falls, where he followed his trade several months, then returning again to Dubuque. The same spring he went to St. Paul, where he made a brief stay, and once more put back to Dubuque. From that city he went to Chicago, and in the fall of 1857 was again in Dubuque, and then was a resident of Davenport up to the spring of 1858. The same year he went to McGregor, going from there to Elgin, Iowa, where he started his first shop, making his way out of his own savings.
Mr. Sutter was first married January 29, 1860, to Miss Anna Zaheisky, German born. She became the mother of children, the eldest of whom, a daughter, died at the age of twenty-six years; Emily is married, and is the mother of three children; Dr. Alfred, who was engaged in practice at Bristol, South Dakota, died April 19, 1904, at the age of twenty-eight years; Frank is at home, and holds a position in the Savings Bank; Nellie is a teacher in the city schools at Sioux City, Iowa. These children were educated at the best schools of the state, and Dr. Alfred Sutter was a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College. Mrs. Sutter died in 1885, at the age of forty-seven years, leaving behind sweet and gracious memories as a wife and mother, beloved by all who knew her.
Mr. Sutter was again married in 1889 to Miss Elizabeth Hublein, a native of Germany, but educated in the United States, to which she was brought as a little girl with her parents. Her mother died in Oklahoma and her father died August 2, 1904.
After his first marriage Mr. Sutter carried on his shop in Elgin until he moved to Delaware county in 1880. There he bought a farm comprising two hundred acres, mostly improved. Here he was a popular character, and was called upon to fill several local positions, and was at different times president and treasurer of the school board, town trustee, road commissioner, and held other official positions. In 1888 he sold his estate, and coming to Rock Rapids bought here a city property and retired. He still owns several hundred acres of land, including a large farm near Rock Rapids. Previous to his coming here he helped reorganize the Lyon County Bank in 1879, and was one of its special partners until 1883.
He has always been a Republican, and cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln when he first ran for President.
Andrew Swanson, a venerable resident of Sioux township, Lyon county, where his years and character alike command respect, was born in Sweden in 1838, and is a son of Swan Swanson. He was given such education as the local schools afforded, and after the fashion and necessity of the times was put to work at an early age. In 1867 he came to the United States by way of the city of New York. For about six months he was employed in Sioux City.
For a time he was variously engaged, and in 1870 came to Lyon county. Here he bought one farm, and homesteaded another, the improvement and cultivation of both being a large undertaking, but one which he has successfully carried through.
Residence of Andrew Awanson
In 1870 occurred the marriage ceremonies of Andrew Swanson and Miss Johanna Peteson, who was also born in Sweden. She died in 1880. Our subject was later married to Olive Cederstrumm, who was born in Sweden and came to the United States when twenty-one years of age. The family circle was blessed by the following children, viz: Elmore and Lena, born to the first wife; and Ida, Johanna, Iver (deceased), Iver (2d), Olga, Albertena and Clarence (deceased), born of the second marriage.
Mr. Swanson is a Republican, and is widely known as a thoughtful and intelligent citizen. He has been quite successful in life, and now owns a fine farm of two hundred and fifteen acres, almost entirely under cultivation. He has put up substantial buildings, and is now enjoying the peaceful pleasures of years that follow long and arduous labors. On another page of this work will be found a picture of Mr. Swanson's residence.
SWANSON, ANDREW G.
Andrew G. Swanson is a young man of much more than the usual character and force, and already enjoys the respect and confidence of the community to a marked degree. He was born in Sweden, June 10, 1880, where his father, Adolph Swanson, had long been engaged in farming. When he was eight years old he accompanied his parents to Canton, South Dakota, where they settled on a farm. The family entered this country through the port of New York, and hastened on to their home in a new and promised land. Their young Andrew G. started in a farming career for himself while still very young.
Mr. Swanson has the management and care of a farm consisting of a quarter section of land, and has easily proved himself a bright, capable member of the great farming class.
He is a close student of political affairs, and takes a strong position with the Republican party, though always ready to recognize the need of men of character and business worth in public position. His friends are confident that he will soon become prominent in Lyon County, for they see already strongly operating in him those qualities that always command success, industry, thrift, honesty and a downright integrity
Isaac Swanson, a native of Sweden, where he was born August 13, 1845, is notable alike for the success that has attended him since his arrival in Lyon County, by reason of his industrious habits and upright character, and for the respect and esteem in which he is held throughout Sioux Township, where he has long resided. His early youth was passed in his Swedish birthplace, where he attended the local schools, and made such preparation as he could for a long and busy career. Landing in America in 1881, he first set foot on the soil of this continent at Quebec, Canada, where he did not remain, but hastened on to Canton, South Dakota. Later on he came into Lyon County, Iowa, and in the fall of the year of his arrival in this country bought a farm in Sioux Township, on which he has since resided.
Mr. Swanson was married May 2, 1881, to Miss Carrie Nelson. She was born in Sweden in 1858, and has become the mother of three children by her marriage with Mr. Swanson: Swan, Edward, and Antone. The three were born in Lyon County.
Mr. Swanson is a Republican, and occupies an enviable position in the esteem of the community where he is passing his long and useful life. He owns and operates a magnificent Iowa estate of nearly five hundred acres of land. It is mainly under cultivation, only such portions being reserved for grass and meadow as the demands of the farm require. The buildings are more than usually complete and the attractions of the place are supplemented by a handsome grove, which Mr. Swanson started when he entered upon the farm.
SWEENEY, WILLIAM A.
William A. Sweeney is a Lyon County farmer, and in his career as an agriculturist on these broad prairies has demonstrated not only his manly worth and genuine character, but also his ability as a hard worker and a careful manager. He has shown what the soil will do for a man if he devotes himself to it, and what honesty and integrity count for in social life.
Mr. Sweeney was born in LaSalle County, Illinois, March 1, 1870 and is a son of Thomas Sweeney, a native of Ireland, who came to this country and located in Illinois in 1850. Thomas Sweeney was for a time engaged in railroading, but farming became his permanent occupation. In 1886 he removed to Lyon County, Iowa and here he lived until his death in 1901.
William A. Sweeney spent the first twelve years of his life in Illinois, moving with his parents to their new home in Iowa. In 1898 he became engaged in farming on his own account and has made a decided success of his work. That same year he was united in marriage with Miss Julia E. Holley, a native of Clinton County, Iowa, where she was born March 1, 1872.
Mr. Sweeney is a Democrat, but does not take a very active interest in the working of the party machinery. It is his belief that the best men should be selected for the various offices to be filled at any election, and in local matters especially he asks for personal fitness. In business matters he has done well, and now owns a magnificent stretch of real estate, comprising seven hundred and twenty acres in all, the most of which is under active cultivation, and all well fitted out with farm buildings, machinery and stock. He follows a system of diversified farming, so that he always has something for the market. Generally there are about two hundred head of cattle on his farm, and "cattle, hogs and grain" are the rule of his operations, and the key of his success.
Compendium/Bios Index | Home
Webization by Kermit Kittleson - Aug. 2006