LYON COUNTY GENEALOGY: The Compendium
Lewis Ean, who was born in the state of New York in 1853, was for a long period a resident of Larchwood. In 1865 he came to Iowa and made his home with his parents in their settlement in Poweshiek County. When he was eighteen years of age he struck out for himself and took the burden of his support on his own shoulders. For many years he worked out as a farm hand, but about fifteen years ago he moved to Ossian, Iowa and learned the trade of butter tub maker and also that of coopering generally, which he followed until the small shops had to close down and quit the business on account of the competition of the large plants. This was about 1898, and some five years later he bought the furniture and lease of the Central Hotel of Larchwood, which he soon made the leading establishment of the kind in the place.
Mr. Ean was married in 1874 to Miss Anne M. Dayht, daughter of G.W. and Eliza Jane (Blen) Oxley Dayht, an old pioneer family of the state. To this union were born nine children: Asa L., Elmer Lee, George E., Nora B., Ernest, Matcalm, Lloyd and Ruby L.
Mr. Ean is a son of Aaron and Amanda Ophelia (Freer) Ean, who were natives of Ulster County, New York. They were the parents of a family of nine children, of whom Lewis is the oldest; George E. was born April 21, 1855; Mary Jane was born October 31, 1858; Norman, August 3, 1860, died April 22, 1864; a baby that died October 31, 1863; Emma, born January 4, 1865; Peter A., June 28, 1867, died January 14, 1869; Silas, born February 28, 1867, died April 23, 1902; Carrie May, born May 26, 1873, was burned to death when four years old. The father was a farmer, who was born April 22, 1824 and died July 5, 1901. The mother was born August 23, 1835 and died December 16, 1895. The grandfather, James Ean, came of an old Hollandish ancestry, and was a life-long farmer.
Lewis Ean is a Republican and takes a prominent part in local affairs. He is a man of excellent habits and kind disposition and merits and retains the confidence and esteem of the community.
Oscar Eastman, one of the earlier settlers of Lyon county, and whose history is largely the story of the settlement of that part of the county where he is found to-day, located on section 32, Lyon township, in 1887. He was born in Jackson county, Iowa, July 28, 1862, a son of Norman and Cornelia (Pratt) Eastman, natives of New York and Vermont. The father, who came to Iowa in the very early days, was a life-long farmer. When he died in 1893 he had reached the age of seventy-six years. His wife, who died in 1884, lived to be sixty-two years. They had a family of eleven children.
Oscar Eastman was educated in the common schools, and in his earlier manhood worked by the month at farm work until his marriage, when he bought his present place. He was married March 27, 1892, to Miss Minnie Schoen, a resident at that time of Fairview, South Dakota. Her parents, John and Mary Schoen, were blessed with a family of ten children, of whom Mrs. Eastman was the fourth in order of birth. To Mr. and Mrs. Eastman have come the following children: Irvin O., Chester N., Clarence and Agnes M., all of whom are living and form a most charming family.
Mr. Eastman is becoming largely interested in stock, and upon his place now has twenty-five head of cattle, sixteen horses, and one hundred and fifty hogs. For breeding purposes he has a stallion, Don Arno, registered No. 25,-564, which is very highly regarded in the neighborhood. Mr. Eastman is a member of the Fairview Camp of Modern Woodmen of America, and attends the Methodist church. He is one of the bright and progressive young men of the neighborhood.
In the life of Edgar Egan we portray, one of the best known men of northern Lyon county. He lays no claim to being an old settler, having resided in Midland township but eleven years; but during these years he has made himself known and respected as a business man, and his naturally genial disposition has brought him a host of friends. This is not all, however, that wins admiration from associates. Every man's ability is judged by what he accomplishes, and Mr. Egan has made the beginning of what is to be a very ample fortune by his own skill and ability.
Mr. Egan was born in Waushara county, Wisconsin, September 23, 1857, only son in a family of five children that constituted the offspring of the marriage of Edward and Bridget (Finnerty) Egan, both natives of County Galway, Ireland. Removing early to the United States, they were married at Clinton, Massachusetts.
Edward grew to manhood in Wisconsin, and as is often the case with those of a venturesome disposition, he was not content until he had struck out into the world, and "roughed it" for a time, but presently he came back home, and as his father was feeling the effects of age and hard work he took charge of the paternal estate, and lived the quiet life of a dairyman farmer. In 1891 he took charge of a threshing machine in Lyon County, and before he returned home he was the owner of the west half of section 12, Midland township, which is now his home. The following spring he came back for settlement, and residing on an adjacent farm, which he rented. He tried grain farming for two years, and then forming a partnership with B. H. Basing the two engaged in a stock and grain business, their work being attended with much success. Since then he has been running a feed farm, and has carried on a general buying and shipping business, dealing in beef cattle and grain. This firm of Egan & Basing has shipped almmost all the stock that has gone out of Ellsworth, and in 1901 they shipped a train load of cattle to Liverpool, England, Mr. Egan accompanying the cattle. He seized the opportunity to visit the home of his fathers in Ireland. This foreign shipment has been followed by others, and is becoming a yearly event.
In his religion Mr. Egan is a member of the Catholic church, and in his polities a Democrat. Fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Foresters, the Ancient Order of Hibernians and the Modern Woodmen of America. In local affairs he is prominent, and has been a member of the twon board for nine years. In 1883 he was married to Miss Maggie Guinan, and they have seven children; Mabel, Frank, Elmer, John, Sadie, James and Leo.
H. G. Eggert, who has recently been elected county auditor of Lyon County, is one of the rising young men of the village of George. He comes of a good family and has the promise of a bright future, his habits and characteristics having already won him more than the usual share of friends and fortune. He was born at Flanagan, Livingston County, Illinois, and his father, the Rev. Frederick S. Eggert, was an honored member of the ministry of the German Lutheran Church for thirty-eight years. Eighteen years of that time he passed as a missionary in South Africa, leaving his native home in Germany to take up that work when he was twenty-eight years of age. When the father had finished his missionary labors in that remote land he came directly to Livingston County in 1869, and continued under Illinois skies his gospel labors until his death, which occured June 10, 1889. He married Anna Edwards in Cape Town, South Africa in 1851. She was born in Wales in 1831, and was a daughter of the Rev. Edward Edwards, a clergyman of the Methodist Church, and a missionary in what was then a savage wilderness. Mr. Edwards had taken his family with him to his field of work in South Africa, and it was there that the father and mother of the subject of this sketch met and married. Seven children came to bless their union in their African home, and H.G.Eggert was their second child born in this country.
H.G. Eggert secured his early education in the public school near Flanagan, Illinois, which he attended until he was about sixteen years old, when he took a business course in a commercial school at Eureka, Illinois. After leaving school he entered upon the work of farming, and this has been his life calling. He is making it a noble and dignified calling, as he puts so much industry, honesty and integrity into his daily labor. He married Miss Elizabeth Monk at Flanagan, Illinois March 6, 1894, and three years later removed with his little family to the farm in Wheeler Township, Lyon County, where he is found at the present time. To him and his charming wife have come three children: Hazel, Ora, born in Flanagan; Louisa Elizabeth and Henry Gilbert, born near George.
In politics Mr. Eggert has always been a Republican and July 1, 1904 he was made the Republican candidate for county auditor and was elected November 8, 1904 to that position. His election to this important office is a fitting tribute to his manly worth and honorable standing.
EILERS, JACOB B.
Jacob B. Eilers, the postmaster of Doon, Lyon County, has made for himself a good name, and won a fair measure of financial success against unfavorable conditions. He is a man of character and force, is still a young man, and his friends prophesy a bright future for him.
Mr. Eilers came to Doon in 1890, and established the first regular harness shop in the town. For eight years he was the active proprietor and manager of what he made a successful business, when he sold out, and put up a store building. This he filled with a fine and well-selected stock of hardware and this business he has carried on to the present time with marked success.
Jacob B. Eilers was born May 15, 1865 in New York, and while still a small child was taken to Foreston, Illinois, where he attended school until 1883. That year he went to Parkersburg, Iowa. When he became fifteen he began the learning of the harness making trade, and for several years was employed as a journeyman. In 1887 he opened a harness shop of his own in Hull, Iowa, where he remained until 1890, when he sold to come to Doon.
Mr. Eilers started out in the world without a dollar of capital, but by the exercise of those saving and thrifty qualities, inherited from his German ancestors, has become fairly well off. He has a store building, 22 by 130 feet long, filled with hardware, making a specialty of steel ranges and buggies.
Mr. Eilers was married October 22, 1884 to Miss Coryett, daughter of George and Jane Ladu. She was born in Canada, and came of English decent. To this union have come two children: Hazel B., and Ray.
Mr. Eilers has been a Republican, and was appointed postmaster under President McKinley, and is now holding the position, with the office in a building accessible readily to the business district of Doon. He has been president and director of the school board, and belongs to the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the local camp of the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a son of Benjamin and Frances (Millett) Brook Eilers.
L.D. Eilers, who may well be called a merchant prince in the northwest, has a finely appointed store in the village of George, Lyon County, where he has a trade far outreaching local limits and a standing among the very best men of the mercantile world. He was born in Germany, October 28, 1861, and as a child came to America with his parents. They made their home in Utica, New York, where the future merchant of George spent some eight years, and then accompanied them to Forreston, Illinois. There he completed his academic education in the high school, but began his mercantile training at Forreston, Illinois, in a store in which he was employed as a clerk.
After leaving Forreston he went to Buck Grove, later from there to Steamboat Rock for two years; then to Clarion for three years; then sold out everything and went to Eldora. At Steamboat Rock he was engaged for a short time in the butcher business. He finally came to George and for four years worked as clerk in a general store, and in 1891 was engaged in the general merchandise business at Lester, Lyon County, under the firm name of Johnson & Eilers, but this he soon sold to his partner, and coming to George opened up a flour exchange hauling from the mills at Sheldon, to George, and exchanging it for wheat, which he would then team back to the mills, a distance of forty miles. His success in this venture moved him to start a store in a small way, and he put in a general stock. He increased his business only as the profits warranted. His family assisted him in the store, and by keeping the expenses down to the very smallest point he has met with commendable success. At the present time he has a stock that is worth nearly $14,000 with buildings, and a patronage that is both large and lucrative.
In the meantime Mr. Eilers has built a house in which he and his family have a commodious and elegant home. His store is 25 by 100 feet, and it is filled with a selected stock of goods that meets all criticism both as to character and price.
Mr. Eilers was married on February 28, 1886, to Miss Jennie Christian, daughter of Thomas and Dena (Hansen) Christian. Her parents were born in Germany. She is the mother of five children: Berand, Thomas, Frieda, Ella and Louis. The children are all living at home, and are assisting their father in his business labors. Mr. Eilers and family are members of the Baptist Church. He is a Republican, and has been a member of the school board for some five years. At the present time he is postmaster, and has three rural free delivery routes emanating from his office. His father was Berand J. Eilers and was born in Germany in 1826. He married Fredrick Willenbrock, and with his family came to America when the subject of this sketch was still a small lad. They settled in Utica, New York, where the father worked in a large shoe factory, and after eight years removed to Forreston, Illinois, where he put in a shore store. He was then in business at Steamboat Rock, and is today keeping books in the George store, happy in the thought that though he has reared a large family, all his children have done well. The death of his wife in 1894 was a great affliction to him.
A. Engbretson, the wide-awake and pushing manager of the Mutual Lumber Company at Beloit, Iowa, was born in Norway June 27, 1849, and is a son of Engbret and Annie Larson, both of whom were natives of Norway. The father was a farmer and died in Norway in 1899, at the age of seventy-nine years. His wife died in 1886, when seventy-five years old. They were the parents of the following children: Lars, deceased; Ole, a farmer; Martin, engaged in business as a wagon-maker in Norway; John, a surgeon in Norway; and the subject of this writing.
A. Engbretson was highly educated in the Old Country, both in private and military schools, and for five years was in the Norwegian army. When his military service had been completed he learned the trade of a carpenter, at which he began to work when he came to Beloit, Iowa in 1881. Here for many years he was engaged in contracting and building, and it was not until 1894 that he became manager for the lumber company.
Mr. Engbretson was married April 14, 1872 to Miss Anna C. Nylander, of Norway. They became the parents of the following children: Albert, a boiler maker on the Northern Pacific Railroad; Sam, a merchant in Minnesota; Hilda, the wife of W. Landrew of Canby, Minnesota; Regnil, deceased; Gus, in a drug business at Glenwood, Minnesota; Clara, a teacher of the piano, living at home; John L., at home.
Mr. Engbretson has filled the office of city clerk for two years and stands very well in the community where his upright life and honest disposition have made their influence felt. He is a member of the United Lutheran church, and takes a lively interest in every movement that looks to the common good.
The well known firm of Erickson Brothers for a number of years operated a large livery and sales barn in Inwood, Lyon county. In September, 1900, they purchased the present barn, 35 by 100 feet in dimensions. In March, 1904, the firm was succeeded by T.O. Erickson. Here he operates a stock of sixteen head of horses ,and a complete outfit of carriages, buggies, and other requirements to a complete livery enterprise. He does a feed and sale business of no small dimensions, and is regarded as being one of the principal men in his line in this part of the county.
T.O. Erickson, the older brother, was born in Lyon county in 1877, and was reared on the farm, where he was given a public school education. When he became of age, he struck out for himself a line of work quite different from the farm life to which he had been bred. In company with a Mr. Tweed he engaged in the grocery business for about two years, when he retired from the store, and spent another year in a feed business. This was sold and then in company with his brother, M.O., started out in the livery barn, where they held for about six months, after which they exchanged it for the present establishment, which is now the only place of the kind as it is the largest and oldest ever maintained here.
Mr. Erickson is a Republican, and belongs to the Lutheran church. Lena Gunderson, his wife, is the mother of one child, Myrtle A.
M.O. Erickson was also born in Lyon county, where he was born and bred a farmer, a work which he followed until his entrance upon the livery business in company with his brother, as stated above. He is unmarried, and in political matters is a Republican.
OLE ERICKSON; the father of both brothers, was born in Norway, and when he was eighteen years old left his native land for the United States. He located in Winneshiek county, Iowa, but some thirty years ago removed to a farm in Lyon county, settling here before the organization of the county, and being one of the oldest pioneers in this part of the northwest. At the present time he owns an improved farm of four hundred acres, a low valuation of which is at least seventh-five dollars an acre. Remarkable success has attended all his efforts since coming to this country.
EVERSON, ALBERT E.
Gilbert E. Everson, whose name is a guarantee of honest treatment and whose history for many years has been intimately associated with that of Lyon county, Iowa, was first located as a farmer in section 24, Richland township, of that county, but became permanently settled nine years later. He was born in Lafayette county, Wisconsin, November 30, 1862, a son of Gunder and Malinda (Nelson) Everson, both of whom were natives of Norway, though long settled in Wisconsin. Gunder Everson came to Lafayette county in 1849, where he engaged in a very successful tillage of the soil. In 1874 he removed to Ashton, Iowa, where he still continued farming and later made his home in South Dakota, where he died in 1901, at the age of seventy-three years. His widow is still living at Harrisburg, South Dakota, and has reached the advanced age of seventy-six years. She was the mother of the following family: Ann, who is now dead; Mary, the wife of Albert Jacobs, a farmer in Lafayette county, Wisconsin; Emma, the wife of Gilbert Jacobs, a farmer near Harrisburg, South Dakota; Eva and Nels have passed away; Lena, the wife of Albert Thompson, a farmer of Lyon county; Gilbert E., whose name begins this article; Andrew, a farmer of Pipestone, Minnesota; Anna, the wife of Richard Watson, of Pipestone, Minnesota; Nels now of Harrisburg, South Dakota; Gunder is a farmer of Pipestone, Minnesota; Theodore, postmaster at Harrisburg, South Dakota.
Gilbert E. Everson received his education in the common school of Osceola county, Iowa, finishing in Augustana College at Canton, South Dakota. He began his business career by renting a farm in Doon township, Lyon county, which he occupied until 1884. That year he settled in Richland township, being still on rented land, which he held under very favorable terms until 1899, when he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, to which he has since added eighty acres.
Mr. Everson was married in 1889 to Miss Maria Albertson, of Richland township. Her parents, Albert and Martha (Thompson) Albertson, born and bred farmer folds, are now living retired in Inwood. Eight children were born to them, of whom all are now living with one exception. Mrs. Everson was their oldest child, and she is now the mother of the following family: Leda, Ernest D., Tyler L., and Lois E.
Mr. Everson has served as township trustee six years, assessor two years, and road superintendent two years. In fraternal matters he is a member of the Lodge and Encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Inwood, Lodge No. 458, A. F. & A. M., of Larchwood, and the local camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, at Inwood. In his politics he is a stanch Republican, and in religion an active and earnest worker in the Methodist church.
EVERSON, GILBERT E.
Gilbert E. Everson, whose name is a guarantee of honest treatment and whose history for many years has been intimately associated with that of Lyon County, Iowa, was first located as a farmer in section 24, Richland Township, of that county, but became permanently settled nine years later. He was born in Lafayette County, Wisconsin, November 30, 1862, a son of Gunder and Malinda (Nelson) Everson, both of whom were natives of Norway, though long settled in Wisconsin. Gunder Everson came to Lafayette County in 1849, where he engaged in a very successful tillage of the soil. In 1874 he removed to Ashton, Iowa; where he still continued farming and later made his home in South Dakota, where he died in 1901, at the age of seventy-three years. His widow is still living at Harisburg, South Dakota, and has reached the advanced age of seventy-six years. She was the mother of the following family: Ann, who is now dead; Mary, the wife of Albert Jacobs, a farmer in Lafayette County, Wisconsin; Emma, the wife of Gilbert Jacobs, a farmer near Harrisburg, South Dakota; Eva and Nels have passed away; Lena, the wife of Albert Thompson, a farmer of Lyon County; Gilbert E., whose name begins this article; Andrew, a farmer of Pipestone, Minnesota; Anna, the wife of Richard Watson, of Pipestone, Minnesota; Nels, now of Harrisburg, South Dakota; Gunder is a farmer of Pipestone, Minnesota; Theodore, postmaster at Harrisburg, South Dakota.
Gilbert E. Everson received his education in the common schools of Osceola County, Iowa, finishing in Autustana College at Canton, South Dakota. He began his business career by renting a farm in Doon Township, Lyon County, which he occupied until 1884. That year he settled in Richland Township, being still on rented land, which he held under very favorable terms until 1899, when he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres to which he has since added eighty acres.
Mr. Everson was married in 1889 to Miss Maria Albertson, of Richland Township. Her parents, Albert and Martha (Thompson) Albertson, born and bred farmer folks, are now living retired in Inwood. Eight children were born to them, of whom all are now living with one exception. Mrs. Everson was their oldest child, and she is now the mother of the following family: Leda, Ernest D., Tyler L., and Lois E.
Mr. Everson has served as township trustee six years, assessor two years, and road superintendent two years. In fraternal matters he is a member of the Lodge and Encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Inwood, Lodge No. 458, A.F. & A. M., of Larchwood, and the local camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, at Inwood. In his politics he is a staunch Republican, and in religion an active and earnest worker in the Methodist church.
Compendium/Bios Index | Home
Webization by Kermit Kittleson - Aug. 2006