Years of Progress
Part 1 of 2

The country as a whole was in a depression in 1896. Money was tight, business failures were common, and there was much political unrest. In spite of that situation-which affected this area greatly-the community was moving ahead. A new school was to be built plans for an electric system progressed, the community's finest homes were built.

The community was 'coming of age'. Liquor problems were at a minimum and the houses of prostitution, which had always been present, seemingly were out of business.

When the board of supervisors organized for the year 1896, they rehired all the county officers-at the same salary they had been receiving, except for the sheriff. He had his salary cut from $400 a year to $250 a year-but he was to receive fees and office rent in addition. Lyon County was strongly Republican and the Review commented that it was unfortunate that such was the case.

Politics raised its head again-this time on the Democratic side, when Ed McCoy received his commission to be Rock Rapids new postmaster. It was announced that postal officials would be here in the near future to check him into his office. McCoy was a strong Republican and President Harrison was following time-honored precedent in putting his man into office.

Rock Rapids continued to operate non-politically, as far as municipal affairs were concerned. The city election was held the first week in March and there was only one ticket in the field-that nominated by the citizens caucus. There were factors however that brought out a good vote-for one thing the women voted, because an increase in municipal indebtedness was contemplated, and women had the right to vote on such matters-however, their votes were kept separate. The vote totaled 170 men and 18 women. W. E. McQueen was elected as Mayor and J. K. Medberry, Recorder. B. L. Richards and W. G. Smith were elected to the Council and on the matter of a vote for the issuance of $9,000 in bonds for municipal electric plant, the vote was 224 'yes' and 22 'no.'

The school election, held a week later, saw a three-man race for two board seats to be filled. Candidates were J. W. Ramsey, J. M. Parsons and O. P. Miller. Ramsey and Parsons were elected. The vote was 218 for and 39 against a school house levy of 10 mills.

The year was a bitter one as far as national politics were concerned. Democrats supported William Jennings Bryan of Nebraska, who campaigned on a free silver platform. His famous speech "The Cross of Gold" was delivered throughout the area and many supporters made trips to Sheldon, Sioux City, etc., to hear the famous orator.

The campaign waxed ever bitter but when the votes were counted after the November election, McKinley carried the county for presidency-defeating Bryan 1568 to 1466. It was the largest vote ever cast in Lyon County. All county officers-Republicans-were elected except for a couple of supervisors.

The Monday night following the election Republicans held a big celebration in Rock Rapids. There was a parade-which was seen by a big crowd. There were fireworks, Melvin Barler's big steam threshing engine pulled a string of wagons filled with the band followed by load after load of young people in the parade. The glee club appeared wearing silk ties over linen dusters and the Luverne Glee Club appeared and sang several songs. Then there were speeches galore in recognition of the Republican victory.

Late in January W. C. Wycoff announced that all of the wires for the new telephone system had been gathered together at the corner of Pryor & Keenan's and would be connected with the switchboard at Wycoff's Drug Store by a special 100-strand cable. Greatly improved service for many more people was promised.

A month later Wycoff said that the system was working but that it was found additional poles would have to be set, because the spans between the poles was so great that when the wind blew the wires became entangled and disrupted service.

By the last of January plastering work at the new Methodist Church was progressing rapidly. Bert Boone was doing most of this work. The stained glass windows were also ordered. The two principal groups would contain four windows each---d the cost was to be in excess of $400.

The new church was completed and dedicated mid-July. The new structure was said to have cost just over $15,000 and many top dignitaries of the Methodist organization came here to take part in the dedication. Dr. G. G. Cottam played the piano for the event and Rev. B. I. Ives was the main speaker.

The January 30 issue of the Review told its readers that a new Building and Loan Association for the county had been formed and had made it's first loan. This was a 'gilt edged' investment on a Larchwood residence. The report said that 360 shares of stock in the association had been subscribed, but it continued that ten times that number should be sold.

A meeting of the parents and students of the public schools was held at which Superintendent Wilson held forth on the necessity for being punctual in school attendance. It was a preliminary to the campaign to build a new school here. Wilson said that there were 17 students in the 12th grade, 17 in the 11th, 32 in the 10th grade and 29 in the 9th. The school enrollments were growing and creating a serious problem.

Late in February boots seriously started work toward the construction of the school. They had the problem of financing, which was complicated by Lyon County's bond record-which was not good.

By May the Supreme Court had thrown out another of the long list of bond cases, against Lyon County schools, and plans for an election to authorize $15,000 in bonds for a new school were made. A favorable vote was had and the middle of June J.B. Mason of Omaha was hired as architect for the new building. It was now estimated that about $25,000 would be needed. Seven different architectural firms sought the job of designing the school.

Bids for the new schoolhouse were opened toward the end of July, and Davis & Francus, Spirit Lake, were given the contract on their bid of $21,480. The total included some $790 for 'extras' which included completely finishing the basement, putting in slate boards. The contract called for completion of the job by the first of December and the contractors had to put up a bond of $12,000 that they would meet that date.

By the middle of August between 15 and 20 men were employed at the school site laying foundations and putting up framework. The masons were being paid $2.50 a day and common labor was getting $1.50 a day on the job.

The Farmers Institute was held at the Christian Church in Rock Rapids the last week in February. There were many speeches about how to grow greater crops and the advantages of feeding livestock. Henry Kelso of George was chosen as President of the group. Farmers present voted to ask for the establishment of an experimental station in northwest Iowa.

Farmers and livestock feeders were having a tough time during the mid-1890's.

Not only were prices low, storms were taking a serious toll and the forepart of August a serious outbreak of hog cholera was reported. Herds of Jonathan Miller, C. W. Marr and Sindt Brothers, in north Midland Township were especially badly hit. Miller had 32 hogs and 80 young pigs, and said that he expected to save only a few of them.

Farm prices were low-old wheat was bringing 44 cents a bushel, while new wheat was being bid at 40 to 42 cents. Old oats were worth 13 cents a bushel, which was two to four cents more than was offered for the new crop. Barley was being bought at nine to 16 cents a bushel and flax at 52 to 54 cents. Hogs were bringing $2.30 to $2.40 a hundredweight.

Talk of an electric system for Rock Rapids had gone on for several years, but nothing came of it. Several promoters had been here talking about franchises, but nothing was done as most of the council felt that the community should have its own municipally owned system when it was installed. Late in February the council started work on the matter again. They had a plan that called for a system of 22 streetlights, which would in addition serve 600 to 800 incandescent lights in homes and stores.

In March a committee was named to canvas local residents and see how many would sign up for electric lights. On the committee were councilmen Bradley and Wold and City Recorder J. K. Medberry. Mid-April members of the council started a series of trips to nearby communities who had electric systems to gather information. They visited Worthington, Onawa, Sheldon, and other places, to find out how people liked the electric service, which had been established in these communities. The first of May representatives of Farson, Leach and Co., of Chicago, met with the council and talked about a bond issue for an electric plant. They agreed to buy a $9,000 issue for a plant. The bonds would be for 10 years and carry an interest rate of 5 percent.

Planning continued the rest of the year and the first of December members of the council accepted an offer of W. J. Hayes & Son of Cleveland for a $9,000 bond issue, for which the financial firm would pay par with 5 five percent interest. On the basis of this arrangement the council hired the W. I. Gray Company of Minneapolis to design a generation and distribution system for the community. The plant was to be able to serve 36 1600-candlepower streetlights and about 1500 incandescent lights.

Late in December the Hayes & Son Company told the council that money was so tight they could not come up with the $9,000 all at one time, but thought they could produce it on an installment basis over a period of several months. The situation put a crimp in plans of the council and it was decided not to start the work until the money was on hand.

Business conditions were not good in 1896. In March one of Rock Rapids merchants, C.A. Heaphy, gave up and made an assignment for the benefits of his creditors. He owed about $8,00 but his stock was thought to be worth about $14,000. When a sale was held the latter part of April to satisfy Heaphy's creditors, Miller & Thompson bid in the stock at 55 cents on the dollar. The bid was made on behalf of Joseph Stolle, who was going to try and continue to operate the store-and it was enough to pay off most of the creditors.

Other business failures were reported throughout the year-and many businesses were changing hands.

Two of the finest homes ever built in Rock Rapids were completed in 1896. They were those of J. K.P. Thompson and O. P. Miller, which occupied a full block in the south part of town. The homes face on Carroll Street, had a circular drive between them so that carriages could drive around the circle and unload people under porte-cocheres. At the back of the block each of the homes had a large carriage house.

On March 19 the Review reported that J.K.P. Thompson's new home was lighted from cellar to garret on Monday night. The event was a test of the 65 gas jets, with which the house was lighted. It was made by W. S. Mold of Dubuque, who installed the gas lighting system. The lights were said to work perfectly. The Millers and the Thompsons were both looking ahead however-and both homes were also wired for electricity, so they would be ready when the new electric system was completed.

In April the board of directors of the school district rehired it's superintendent. W. S. Wilson. He was to get an advance of $75 a year on his salary, and would receive $1200 a year. Most of the other teachers in the local system were also rehired.

A big event took place in late April when J. K. P. Thompson, department commander of the Iowa Grand Army of the Republic and his party went to Cedar Rapids for the state meeting of that body. A special car left over the Burlington (Rock Island) to take the commander and his friends to Cedar Rapids.

Members of the graduating class of the Rock Rapids high school in 1896 were Sophie Avelson, Ira Aldrich, Margaret Ball, Margaret Brown, Blanche Barrett, Margaret Fitzgerald, Clarence Green, True Gilman, Roy Jefferies, Roy Kelsom, John Raylor Kitterman, Millie Mason, Loban Nichols, Ella E. Thompson, Hoyt Thompson and Ethel Walker.

Ten members of the Sibley Cycle Club rode over to Rock Rapids the first of June to have dinner at the Lyon Hotel. It took them almost three hours to get here because of the heavy head winds they face on the ride---t they reported the dinner was so good it was worth the effort.

In June heavy rains here and to the north sent the Rock River on a rampage. Streets were running with water from curb to curb, and there was serious damage to many farms in the area, especially to the north. The river reached the highest level in 15 years.

In August a bad hailstorm hit the Rock Rapids community. There was a great amount of damage to windows and roofs-and thousands of acres of crops were wiped out.

An area firemen's convention was held here in July. Attending were the fire departments from Luverne, Pipestone, Ellsworth and other points. Many people attended the races, speeches, band concerts and other events. So that everyone could be kept informed of what was going on the Review changed to a daily for the period of the event.

Fire starting in one of the storerooms of the Christian Church did great damage to that church the first Sunday in November. The fire was discovered in the afternoon. Firemen finally cut through the roof of the church and flooded areas between the walls to put out the blaze. Damage was estimated at $1,000.

War talk was being heard in increasing volume. A meeting was held at the Rock Rapids house the middle of December 1896. Sixty-five names were signed to a pledge to support the government in any effort to gain freedom for the Cubans. Backers of the pledge said that if and when real war came, scores were ready to enlist for a fight against Spain to free Cuba from the tyranny that island was experiencing.

In spite of the depression which had affected the whole nation, northwest Iowa was making progress during 1897. Particularly was this apparent in Rock Rapids, where a new school was completed, where a new electric generating plant was built and where business, social and sporting activities was gaining momentum.

The year brought a few spectacular news stories, but generally it was a story of day to day living, working together, and progress. There was some crime news-even major crime-but it was overshadowed by the everyday events.

The middle of January Rock Rapids' fine new school building was put into use. This magnificent structure was built for only $27,365. The general contract was for $22,073. Heating and ventilating cost was $3,000; the architect and building superintendent were paid $942 and the window shades cost $120.

The new school located on Carroll Street, east of the location of the former school. This building served the district until the recent completion of the new elementary school at Story Street and 12th Avenue, when it was torn down and the area made into a park.

In March at the annual school election only 42 votes were cast. At a union caucus M. A. Cox and S. A. Feay were nominated for the two director's spots and they were not opposed when the election was held.

In May plans were made for another graduation. Eleven seniors were to be graduated. Members of the class were Nellie Thompson, Lydia Piele, Maud Mullinix, Lena Roach, Viva McMillen, Sadie Wallace, Lena Horr, Alpha Lockwood, James McCutcheon, Will Morgan and Cliff Bradley. Bradley was named as valedictorian.

In July Professor W. S. Wilson, who was superintendent of the local school, announced that he had been authorized to give the community $100, from an outside man interested in education, for the district's use in buying textbooks, if the community would match the contribution. A drive was immediately organized and the gift was matched.

The Rock Rapids library, which had been operated out of a couple of small rooms back of the council chambers, was moved to spacious quarters in the new schoolhouse. It was announced that a total of 1200 volumes were available to the public at the library.

School matters were not just localized in Rock Rapids-when the winter term of school opened in the rural schools of the county, late in November, County Superintendent Daily said there were 157 schoolteachers working at their profession in the county.

The year 1897 opened with a jailbreak in Rock Rapids. Charles Gardner was in jail on a charge of robbery and J. W. Stegman was being held on a charge of rape. On December 28, 1896, Sheriff James Kemplay let the men out of their cells to carry out their slops. The men were in a yard that had a 12-foot fence all around it, but they managed to climb the fence and made good their escape. Kemplay was chagrined, he sent posters out to the entire area, but no trace of the men was found.

The middle of January a cutting scrape occurred at a dance here. Jess Whipky was at the dance and evidently got a little too much to drink. He started creating a disturbance, and J. D. Wilson, who was operating the dance, sent his bouncer, Charles Wellington, over to get him out of the hall. Whipky whipped out a knife and started after Wellington, so Wilson joined in the fracas. Both Wellington and Wilson were badly cut up. Whipky was arrested and thrown in jail. Later he was indicted by the grand jury on a charge of assault with intent to commit murder. This charge was later reduced to assault with intent to commit great bodily harm. Whipky was found guilty and sentenced to six months in the county jail. That sentence was later reduced by the court to 30 days in jail, which he served.

There was a tremendous interest here in the murder trial of Lewis Kellihan at Fairmont, Minn. Kellihan and his brother were involved in a bank robbery in which two men were killed and later a sheriff, in pursuit of the local young men, was killed.

H. G. McMillan, prominent Rock Rapids attorney, was one of the attorneys for the defense. He took the case without charge, because Lewis Kellihan had earlier saved his daughter's life when she fell in the river and nearly drowned.

The Kellihan case dragged through several months. Here is the story of the crime, as reported in the Rock Rapids Review:

The Review April 1, 1897


Murder in the First Degree With a Recommendation for Life Sentence. Jury Out 24 Hours. Some Favoring Acquittal-Lewis' Confession.

Lewis Kellihan has been found guilty of murder in the first degree.

This announcement came to the Review by telephone this morning at 9:30 from Dunlap and McMillan, who are the defendants' attorneys in the big trial at Fairmont, Minn.

The latter have gained a great victory, however, in a recommendation from the jury that the sentence be for life imprisonment and not for hanging. For 24 hours four men on the jury stuck squarely for acquittal and twice they went before Judge Quinn for additional instructions.

These instructions of course pointed out the requirements of the law in the matter and made it necessary, under the strict Minnesota statutes, for the jury to either acquit the prisoner outright or find him guilty in the first degree. After hanging out the 24 hours the verdict as related as agreed upon.

Sentence will be passed by Judge Quinn April 12, when it is confidently believed young Kellihan will get off with a life sentence and this is about the best his attorneys had hoped for.

The case was commenced last week Wednesday, two days being spent in securing a jury. Evidence was introduced during Saturday and Monday, the state resting their case on Monday at 3 p.m. J. W. Dunlap then opened the defense and presented 13 depositions from Rock Rapid people. They all testified that the defendant was of unsound mind, although perfectly harmless. The family physician testified that he had treated Kellihan for mental disorders for several years.

Tuesday morning Mr. and Mrs. Kellihan, father and mother of the defendant, testified that Lewis Kellihan had been "off" for about 10 years since he received an injury from being thrown from a horse; that his brother Hans had always been able to get him to do anything he wanted him to do; that Lewis had always been a good boy.

The persecution rebutted this by calling up those witnesses with whom the two boys had come in contact before the robbery, all stating that the boys both appeared smart and of sound mind.

Both sides rested at 10:30 Tuesday and in the afternoon the arguments were commenced, H. G. McMillan closing for the defense in a masterly plea.

The Crime and Capture

Sherburne is a small town in Martin County, Minn.; almost due north of Estherville, Iowa. Wednesday morning, October 7, 1896, two young men, known now to have been Lewis and Hans Kellihan, rode into Sherburne on bicycles. There was nothing unusual in their appearance and no particular attention was paid to them. At 1:15 they entered the Sherburne Bank, instantly shot the assistant cashier, George Thorburn and Olof J. Oestern of Luverne, traveling collector of the Woods Harvester Company, took something over $1,000 in bills, leaving $2,000 in gold on account of its weight, and escaped on their bicycles.

All will remember the exciting pursuit of the robbers by the armed posse; how Hans was closely pursued for miles; how, when surprised while in a house where he had stopped for something to eat, he whipped out a revolver and killed Marshal Gallion and again escaped and was shortly afterward shot by the sheriff after being thrown from his wheel by a punctured tire; how he then placed his own revolver to his head and put a bullet through his brain.

Lewis Kellihan, the older brother, had better luck in escaping, but was finally captured at Lake Mills, Iowa on the following Saturday afternoon by the Marshall of the town. Three revolvers, a 38. 32 and 22 calibre, the latter being an old fashioned four barreled pepper-box, were found upon his person. All of the revolvers were loaded to the brim, and an extra supply of cartridges was found. Rain since 3 o'clock in the morning had caused the roads to be in an unpassable condition for wheelmen; and the captured man was completely worn out and drenched to the skin.

Lewis' confession

To the county attorney, shortly after the robbery, Lewis Kellihan made and signed the following statement:

My name is Lewis Kellihan. I live at Rock Rapids, Iowa. Am 20 years old. Have lived at home most of my life. Went to Sibley to meet my brother and then went to Heron Lake and stayed over Sunday. Monday my brother said he was going to rob the bank. I set fire to a building in the south part of town and when the people went to the fire we into the bank but got nothing. We then went to about six miles from Sherburne and stayed overnight. The next day I went to town and then went back and reported to my brother. We then went to Sherburne and waited until after dinner. Then as only two men were in we went into the bank. I asked the cashier some questions, when my brother pulled his two guns and told the men to hold up their hands. My brother shot Thorburn first and after going behind the counter shot the other man. I got the money and put it into a sack which my brother held. We had stolen the revolvers from a store at Lakefield.


Minnesota Board of Pardons Gives Kellihan a Life Sentence.

Lewis Kellihan's sentence was commuted to imprisonment for life by the State Board of Pardons in Minnesota Tuesday.

The presentation of the application for the commutation of the sentence given young Kellihan by Judge Quin in the spring was accompanied by a great deal of interest, there being hundreds of letters and dozens of persons present to argue pro and con in the matter. McMillan & Dunlap, the boy's attorneys, made the application and were on hand with an abundance of documentary evidence in favor of their client, and their victory is one of the greatest ever gained in the state. The County Attorney of Martin County, who prosecuted the case of the lower court, was on hand to oppose the application for commutation and used every means to strengthen his case, but after hearing the arguments the board gave its decision unanimously in favor of the defendant.

So Kellihan goes to jail for life. That was the best decision hoped for by the friends of the family here, and many happy hearts were in Rock Rapids on receipt of the news Tuesday evening. None care to deny the boy's guilt, but hundreds protest against hanging him. believing that adequate punishment is meted out to him in imprisonment for life, while escape from the stigma of hanging is a boon to the heartbroken mother and family. Of course, it is also possible that good life and moral conduct will gain for the boy a full pardon in time, but this cannot be counted upon now.

It is said there were great demonstrations at Fairmont and Sherburne when the news was learned, and that for a time some fear of mob violence to the boy was indulged.

There was the usual number of petty crimes from week to week. The fourth of July most everyone in the community went to other nearby towns to celebrate, but some stayed here and a fine party developed at one of the saloons. Sheriff Kemplay was finally called on to quiet things down and a first class donnybrook developed before the rougher element could be quieted down. Fines and modest jail sentences resulted.

A crime with comic overtones occurred at Beloit in June. T.W. Tattershall had a cat of which he was very fond. The cat took after chickens owned by W. A. Fillmore and killed some of them, so Fillmore proceeded to kill the cat. Tattershall and Fillmore met on the street, got into a fight, and Tattershall pulled a gun and started firing. He fired two shots-missed with both, but one of them came close enough to Fillmore that his face was filled with powder burns. Tattershall was arrested and charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm.

Lyon County's doctors got together in January and decided that they were not getting enough pay for their care of the county patients. Heretofore the work had been put up for bids. Now the doctors said this was unprofessional and undignified and they all signed up that they would not accept county cases on a bid basis. Fourteen doctors signed the agreement. The Review said that immediately costs of caring for the county poor increased by 300 percent.

Throughout the spring there were a few cases of diphtheria, but nothing like the record of past years. Sanitation and good doctoring were having their effect.

Much surgery was being performed here-and most of the patients seemed to get along real well. One of the local doctors, Dr. G. G. Cottam had built up a fine reputation and he was named as Professor of Children's Diseases at the College of Medicine at Sioux City. The work it was explained would take only a few days each week, so the doctor would continue to serve his local practice also.

There was a lot of social activity in Rock Rapids in the early days. Lodges were popular. The Masonic Lodge, the Odd Fellow, the Knights of Pythias were holding frequent meetings. Many lodges were being started in nearby communities. F. B. Parker, one of the leaders in the Masonic Lodge in Rock Rapids, helped start a new Masonic Lodge in Larchwood in January.

There were all kinds of "at homes," dinner parties and recitals by local musicians, but in addition many professionals were brought here to perform. In January Carl Reidelsberger, a noted violinist, performed at the opera house. In April "The Tennesseans" a music group, presented a program that was very popular. In June the Western Phonograph Concert Company gave a musical entertainment. August brought Miss Mae Henderson, of the college of oratory, Drake University, here to present her program, "The Heart of Old Hickory." It was highly praised.

In September the ladies of the Reading Circle contracted with the Slayton Lecture Bureau for a course of programs to run through the fall and winter. They brought in speakers, chart talk performers, magicians as well as musical numbers. They wanted to raise more money to buy books for the public library.

Highly popular, especially with the veterans of the Civil War, was the performance of Capt. Jack Crawford, who was billed as the "Poet Scout." His presentation was titled "The Campfire and the Trail," and the program of poetry was largely attended.

In January H. Borovshy, who operated the Bazaar Store in Sioux Falls, opened a branch store in Rock Rapids. He offered men's wear, china, dry goods, tinware and notions.

The Omaha-or Bonnie Doon as it was popularly known-had a wreck early in the year just north of town. It was thought that the extremely cold weather was responsible for a rail breaking, which caused the accident. There was a lot of damage but no one was hurt. A special work train came down from Worthington to get the cars back on the track and repair the break.

Grant Caswell came to Rock Rapids and bought a half interest in the Rock Rapids Review from Lon Chapin. Chapin was one of the giants of journalism, but his health was bad and he decided to move to California, where temperatures were milder. Caswell bought the rest of Chapin's interest later in the year and soon thereafter sold the paper to P.H. McCarty, who had been in the newspaper business at Rock Valley.

Talk of building an electric generating plant here had been current for several years. A number of companies had sought to get a franchise for a system here, but the council and the promoters never were able to get together. It was decided to build a municipally owned plant. Money, of course, was the big problem, so banker O. P. Miller made arrangements with one of his Chicago connections, who agreed to loan the town $9,000 to build such a plant. Engineers were put to work and plans drawn. The last of March bids were opened on the proposed plant and were all much higher than anticipated. The council decided that the engineers had put in a lot of fancy items which were not needed-and the companies who were bidding on the project agreed to submit their own plans and bids for a generating system. The next week a contract for a new plant was signed. Bigelow Electric Supply Company was the contractor and the cost was to be about $14,000. Bradley & Olsen, local builders, signed a contract with the Bigelow people to put up a building for $3,000 and work was started at once.

In May J. W. Trickey of Luverne was hired as engineer and lineman for the new system at a salary of $75 per month, and he started work at once. On June 24 it was reported by the newspaper that the huge 70-foot smoke stack was almost complete, poles for the distribution system were being placed, and the council had decided to pay the cost of wiring the homes, unless the homeowners wanted the wires concealed, in which case they would have to pay for their own work.

The big engine for the electric plant arrived late in August and was placed-but delays were encountered in getting the generator.

In November the big day came. The wonderful Westinghouse double generator had arrived and on the fifth steam was raised in the boilers and electricity started to flow through the wires throughout the community. First results were disappointing, but by the following Tuesday things had settled down and it was said that "The incandescents gleamed with a white brilliancy which satisfied nearly every critic." The plant's two 80-horsepower boilers were supplying plenty of steam for the Corliss engine, which turned the double Westinghouse generator without any visible effort. The company that put in the plant was putting on a 10-day test-run-and it was announced that after that 10 days, customers would have to start paying for their electricity. The Review said that the town had been wired for 1,800 incandescent lights-which included the 32 arc lights. The connected load was substantially greater than the capacity of the plant, but it was thought that not more than 900 to 1,000 incandescents would ever be used at one time.

Whist was one of the popular pastimes, and B. L. Richards, local banker, was one of the nation's top experts at the game. He put up a cup for the tournament held at Sioux Falls and it was reported that two special cars went through here on the Burlington, one from Cedar Rapids and one from Des Moines, of players who were to take part in the competition. Des Moines won the meet.


Buncombe Index   |   Home   |   Years of Progress - Part 2


Webization by Kermit Kittleson - Aug. 2006