Post Office in 1871
Thanks to the national archives, accurate information is available on Dixon's postal history. The first post office was located in the very NW corner of Section 36 of Doon Township. This is the site east across the road from the town dump, where the farmhouse of Frank Vanden Brink now sets. It was Henry D. Rice (Doon's father), who filed for a post office here on April 20, 1871. At this time Doon was not a village and could claim no number of residents. The nearest post office was Irene, Iowa, located in Section 34 of Sioux Township, Sioux County (located 3 miles west and 2 miles south of what is now Rock Valley.)
On July 4, 1871, postal service was started here. The original post office remained on the site until 1879 when it was moved to the present site of Doon's main street. (The beginning of Doon was in the south part of town.)
The roll of postmaster (in order) were, Henry Rice; Elisha Hogue; Milton Jeffries; Sarah Rice; James Hone (Howe); Frank Ferris; Miss Mary Kitterman; Geo. Luff; Lewis Vanderwerker; Dana Case; George W. Bowers; John Case; Wm. Kaufman; John Umstattd; Jacob Eilers; Charles F. Fitzgerald; Martin D. Swenning; Ralph Ray; A. C. Ross; T.J. Rothweller; W.L. Lehman; Doris Anderson.
Index | Home