Doon Federated Women's Club
by Dee Keegan
On November 6, 1929, sixteen civic-minded Doon women met to discuss the formation of a Federated Women's Club. The decision was made to organize, and the following officers were electedPresident, Mrs. Chris Nelson; Vice President, Mrs. Herman Bunge; Recording Secretary, Mrs. George Keith; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. John Hooven, and Treasurer, Mrs. James Suddaby.
According to the constitution drafted by the group in 1929, the objective of the club would be to study the needs of the community and to support such projects as will further its interests in beautifying our city, and in its upliftment, culturally and morally.
On May 17, 1930, the club was able to open the Doon Public Library with 584 donated books.
One year later the industrious group obtained a quit claim to some vacant lots in Doon, and with the help of the town council the present town park came into being. Throughout the years the ladies held fundraisers, which they used for trees, shrubs and flowers.
Many organizations have come and gone since Doon's incorporation, but the Doon Women's Club, now in its sixty-third year in Doon, remains as strong as ever. The library and park continue to be projects. The club was also instrumental in getting the former Town Hall built and its kitchen equipped, as well as the tennis court and skating rink. Popular annual projects include story hour at the library, the May Breakfast for area ladies, and the Christmas lighting contest.
Club members were active during the Diamond Jubilee celebration in 1967, particularly in the writing and directing of the pageant, and are doing the same in 1992 for the Centennial celebration.
The club has eighteen members and the 1990-1992 officers arePresident, Carline Schroeder; Vice President, Carol Hoppe; Secretary, Dee Keegan, and treasurer, Grace Surma.
Index | Home