USGenweb Linn County IAGenweb IAGenweb



Biographies



A  B  C  D   E   F  G   H   I  J   K   L  M   N   O  P   Q  R  S  T  V  W  Y  Z


HARRY H. NEWELL

Harry H. Newell, who has won a gratifying measure of prosperity as a raiser and feeder of stock, is the owner of a well improved farm of eighty acres in Marion township. He was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, October 27, 1877, his parents being James and Clara (Dailey) Newell, who are likewise natives of the Buckeye state. Both the father and mother are still living. They reared a family of four children, two sons and two daughters, all of whom make their home in Iowa. The sons are married and reside on farms in this county.

In his youthful years Harry H. Newell received the educational advantages afforded by the common schools. After attaining his majority he left the parental roof and during the following six years was actively identified with agricultural interests as a farm hand and also as a renter. He was then married and subsequently purchased the farm of eighty acres which he now owns and operates, having made all of the improvements on the property. He feeds stock on quite an extensive scale and thus utilizes all of the grain which he raises. In addition to the above he is now doing quite an extensive dairy business. His estimable wife has proven herself a true helpmate as well as companion and to her he largely attributes his success.

It was on the 28th of October, 1904, that Mr. Newell was joined in wedlock to Miss Sarah Hickman, of Linn county, a daughter of Shelton and Chloe (Ross) Hickman. She was one of a family of two sons and four daughters, the others being as follows: Anna, the wife of W. J. Greer, of Marion, Linn county  John M., who is deceased; Mrs. Carrie B. Cowan, who lives at Lake Park, Iowa; Marcus S., whose sketch appears on another page of this work; and Laura, the wife of E. J. Gillmore, of Marion township. Mrs. Newell supplemented her preliminary education by a course of study in the high school. Both she and her husband are faithful members of the Methodist church, the teachings of which they exemplify in their daily lives. The young couple have an extensive circle of warm friends throughout the community and wherever known they are held in high esteem.

Source: 1911 Linn Co., IA History Vol. 2 pg. 85

Submitted by Becky Teubner 






HAMILTON D.NEWLAND

Hamilton D. Newland, a prosperous and highly respected resident of Linn county, has made his home at Center Point since 1893 and is living practically retired save for the supervision which he gives to his extensive landed interests. His birth occurred in Raymond, Union county, Ohio, on the 7th of September, 1841, his parents being Andrew A. and Sarah A. (Argo) Newland, who were natives of Montgomery county, Virginia, and Washington county, Pennsylvania, respectively. Their marriage was celebrated in the latter county, the father having removed to Pennsylvania in early manhood. About a year later they journeyed westward to Ohio, locating in Union county, where Andrew A. Newland worked as a brick and stone mason. By dint of untiring industry he accumulated capital sufficient to enable him to purchase a farm and carried on general agricultural pursuits in addition to working at his trade until about 1875. In that year he came to Iowa, purchasing a farm two and a half miles southwest of Center Point, on which he made his home for about three years. The remainder of his life was spent at Center Point but he passed away while on a visit in Algona on the 20th of February, 1897, at the age of ninety-two years, five months and twenty days. The demise of his wife occurred at Center Point on the 27th of June, 1888, when she had attained the age of seventy-six years, seven months and twenty-four days. George W. Newland, a brother of Hamilton D., came to Center Point in November, 1856. He remained at his old home in Union county, Ohio, until the day after casting his vote for John C. Fremont, the first presidential candidate of the republican party, and then started westward, Center Point, Iowa, being his destination. Here he made his home until his death, which occurred February 7, 1893.

Hamilton D. Newland was reared at home and began his education in the public schools, while subsequently he entered Hillsdale (Mich.) College. He was a student at that institution at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war and left college in order to enlist for service. A company was enlisted from the college class but the president of the school, who was the lieutenant governor of the state, used his influence to prevent the acceptance of the company by the state. Being thus thwarted in their plans, the students became discouraged, disbanded and separated and returned to their respective homes. Mr. Newland arrived home on the 5th of June, 1861, end joined Company F, Twenty-third Ohio Infantry, the famous regiment to which McKinley and Hayes belonged, he remained with that command for tree years and participated in all the engagements of the regiment, being never absent except during the thirty days when he was sent home on recruiting service. He was fortunate in that he was never wounded even in the slightest degree, and when his term of enlistment had expired he was mustered out as sergeant of his company on the 7th of July, 1864, at Columbus, Ohio.

Returning home with a most creditable military record, Mr. Newland then became identified with educational interests, following the profession of teaching in Ohio for two years. In the fall of 1866 he came to Iowa, locating in Center Point, where he was offered and accepted the principalship of the schools. After serving in that capacity for two years he turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits, purchasing a farm south of Center Point. Throughout the next quarter of a century his time and energies were largely given to farming interests and he acquired more than five hundred acres of valuable land. During this period he likewise operated in real estate to some extent and thus came into possession of a hotel and a general store at Center Point, both of which he conducted at different times for a brief period. For the past seventeen years he has made his home in Center Point, from which point he looks after his extensive landed interests. In addition to his farm lands he owns five pieces of town property as well as his home. A man of excellent business ability, keen discrimination and sound judgment, he has met with success in all of his undertakings and has long been numbered among the most substantial and respected citizens of the county.

On the 12th of December, 1867, Mr. Newland was united in marriage to Miss Melinda J. Newman, a native of Linn county and a daughter of John Nelson Newman, who was born in Kentucky and came to this county from Illinois in the early ‘50s. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Newland were born seven children, six of whom still survive. Mark A., who graduated from the Center Point high school with the class of 1889, is now engaged in the practice of medicine at that place. Zell, who completed her studies in the Center Point high school in 1890, is now the wife of C. C. Lewis, of Kenwood Park. John Fay follows farming in Washington township, this county. The three remaining children, all of whom are at home, are as follows: Evelyn, who graduated from the Center Point high school with the class of 1901; George 0., who completed his studies in that institution in 1910; and Don H.

In politics Mr. Newland has always been an unfaltering republican. He is a demitted member of the Masonic fraternity, belongs to the Iowa Legion of Honor and has held all of the offices in Denison Post, No. 244, G. A. R. At the state encampment which was held in Cedar Rapids in 1903 he was elected senior vice commander for the Department of Iowa. his wife is a devoted and consistent member of the Christian church. A good citizen, a loyal friend and a man who knows how to attain that for which he seeks, Mr. Newland enjoys the esteem of all who have come into relation with him.

Source: History of Linn County Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. II, Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, p. 42-3.

Contributed by: Terry Carlson






JOSEPH NICODEMUS

For almost thirty years this gentleman was prominently identified with the industrial interests of Marion, Iowa, and as a blacksmith met with good success in business, accumulating a comfortable competence which now enables him to spend his declining years in retirement from active labor.  He was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, on the 1st of March, 1838, a son of Joseph and Rebecca (Miller) Nicodemus, who spent their entire lives in that county.  In early manhood the father followed the carpenter’s trade, and later engaged in farming.  In religious belief both he and his wife were Lutherans, and were people of the highest respectability. Their family numbered eight children, namely: Charlotte, now the widow of John W. Hull and a resident of Bedford county, Pennsylvania; Catherine, who married David Blackburn and died in October 1899; Tena, who died unmarried; Susanna, a resident of Marion, Iowa, and widow of Benjamin Trott, who died in the Civil war; Rebecca, who married John Adams and both are now deceased; Maria, widow of Abraham Miller and a resident of Bedford county, Pennsylvania; John, who died at the age of eighteen years; and Joseph, of this review.

During his boyhood Joseph Nicodemus had very little opportunity to attend school, as he had to work hard.  He remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority, and then learned the blacksmith’s trade, to which he devoted his energies throughout the remainder of his active business life.  His labors were interrupted, however, by his service in the war of the Rebellion.  In the fall of 1863 he enlisted as a private in Company I, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, known as the Bucktail regiment, under command of Colonel White.  He went first to Chambersburg and later to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and from there to Virginia. He took part in several battles and skirmishes, including the engagements at Culpeper and Brandy Station, and was honorably discharged when his term of enlistment expired in 1864.

On the 19th of February, 1863, Mr. Nicodemus was married, in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, to Miss Catherine Elizabeth Nipple, of that county, of which her parents, John and Elizabeth Nipple, were also natives.  The father was a miller by trade, and he and his wife always made their home in Bedford county.  Their children were Catherine Elizabeth, Jacob, Amanda, David, Charlotte M., Ida Belle, and one who died in infancy.

In the fall of 1864 Mr. and Mrs. Nicodemus came to Linn county, Iowa, and took up their residence in Marion, where he purchased a small shop standing on the site of his present shop, and at once commenced work at his trade.  He also bought real estate and erected several houses, building his own home.  He still owns his blacksmith shop, but has rented the same since 1893, while he now lives retired.  In connection with general blacksmithing he also engaged in manufacturing wagons, buggies, etc., and was fairly successful in all his undertakings.  His prosperity has come to him through his own industry, perseverance and determination to succeed, and by his upright, honorable course of life he has also gained the confidence and good will of all with whom he has been brought in contact.  He is an active worker and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is also prominently connected with Robert Mitchell Post, No. 206, G. A. R., of Marion. Since attaining his majority he has always been a stanch Republican.

Source: The Biographical Record of Linn County Iowa, Illustrated, Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1901, pages 73-4.

Submitted by: Carrie J. Robertson of Marion






HENRY JOHN NIETERT

The prosperity of any community, town or city depends upon its commercial activity, its industrial and financial interests and its trade relations and, therefore, the real upholders of a town are those who stand at the head of its leading enterprises. Mr. Nietert is well known throughout Linn county as president of the Exchange State Bank of Walker and he is also prominently identified with various other enterprises, which have proved of material benefit to the community.

He was born in Dayton, Ohio, March 12, 1848, a son of John II. and Caroline B. (Buhlman) Nietert, both natives of Germany. The mother was only nine years of age when she came to this country and the father was fifteen years old when he crossed the Atlantic. Having relatives living in Ohio, he settled in that state, where he served an apprenticeship to the cabinet-maker’s and carpenter’s trades, while later he also learned the millwright’s trade, in all of which he became very proficient. He was married in Dayton and subsequently located at Tippecanoe, Ohio, but in 1854 came west with his family, taking up his abode in Clayton, Clayton county, Iowa, where he engaged in the grain and produce business for about three years. At the end of that time he removed to Garnavillo, Iowa, where he conducted a hotel for a number of years. In 1860, in company with four other men, he took a stamp mill overland to Pikes Peak, where they installed the same, but late that fall he sold out and returned to Clayton county, Iowa, buying a small farm, which he operated for a time. In 1864 he removed to Delaware county, Iowa, and continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until coming to Walker, Linn county, in 1875. For three years after his arrival here he gave his attention to the agricultural implement business and in 1879 was appointed postmaster of Walker, filling that position up to the time of his death, which occurred in December, 1882. The mother of our subject had passed away some years previous, dying in August, 1863. Both were active members of the Lutheran Reformed church in early life but subsequently united with the Methodist Episcopal church. The father was also connected with the Masonic fraternity and was one of the influential and prominent men of his community.

Under the parental roof Henry J. Nietert remained during his minority and his early education was acquired in the common schools. As a young man he worked for some years at farm labor, following which he accepted a clerical position and served in that capacity for various mercantile houses for a number of years. In 1873 he embarked in merchandising on his own account in Delaware Center in partnership with J. Deily and there carried on business for a year and a half, after which he removed to Earlville, the same county. Six months later, however, he sold out and for three years engaged in clerking for others. In 1878 he formed a co-partnership with J. H. Gitchell and engaged in merchandising in Walker. In 1885 he opened the Exchange Bank at this place, which he carried on as a private banking institution until March, 1907, when it was incorporated as the Exchange State Bank, Mr. Nietert becoming president of the new institution. It is now in a flourishing condition and is regarded as one of the safest financial concerns of this section of the state. In 1881, in partnership with Mr. Gitchell, he purchased the Walker Creamery and three years later built a branch creamery at Center Point, operating both plants up to 1887, when Mr. Gitchell took the latter and Mr. Nietert the Walker Creamery, of which he has since been sole proprietor. In his business relations he has always been found prompt and reliable and has thus gained the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has had any dealings. His financial interests have been ably managed and he now occupies a very prominent and enviable position in business circles.

In 1881 Mr. Nietert was united in marriage to Miss Anna E. Wilde, of Spring Grove township, Linn county, and they have become the parents of two children, Roscoe H. and Gertrude E., both at home. Politically Mr. Nietert is a stalwart republican and he has been called upon to serve in several important official positions, being mayor of Walker at different times. From 1894 until 1900 he was a member of the state legislature from this district, serving in the twenty-fifth, twenty-sixth and twenty-seventh general assemblies with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. He is a very public-spirited and progressive man and his support can always be counted upon to further those measures which he believes will prove of public benefit. Fraternally he is an honored member of the Masonic order, belonging to Robert Morris Lodge, No. 500. A. F. & A. M.; Trowel Chapter, No. 49, R. A. M. Apollo Commandery, No. 26, K. T.; Iowa Consistory, No. 2, A. & A. S. R.; and El Kahir Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S., of Cedar Rapids. He also belongs to Cedar Rapids Lodge, No. 251, B. P. 0. E., and Walker Lodge, No. 498, I. 0. 0. F. In religious faith he and his wife are Methodists and the family is one of prominence in the community where they reside.

Source: History of Linn County Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. II, Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, p. 20-21.

Contributed by: Terry Carlson