USGenweb Linn County IAGenweb IAGenweb



Biographies



A  B  C  D   E   F  G   H   I  J   K   L  M   N   O  P   Q  R  S  T  V  W  Y  Z


GEORGE W. LAKE

George W. Lake, of Marion, has for several years been connected with the firm of T. M. Sinclair & Company, of Cedar Rapids as a stock buyer, and in that capacity has become widely known throughout the county. A native of Ohio, he was born in Mansfield, Richland county, on the 23d of September, 1847, and is a son of Dr. Elijah W. and Susanna (Crothers) Lake, the former a native of Loudonville, Ohio, the latter of Washington county, Pennsylvania. The father was a graduate of the Cincinnati Medical College, and on his removal to Iowa City, Iowa, in 1851, took up the practice of his profession there and also served as land agent. Ten years later he came to Marion and was successfully engaged in practice here until his death in 1886. He was a charter member of the Odd Fellows Lodge at Mansfield, Ohio, and also held membership in the Presbyterian church. During his residence in Mansfield, Ohio, he was one of the leading business men of that place, conducting a store and running four tan-yards at one time. Politically he was an active and influential member of the Democratic party, and served as clerk of the courts eight years, besides filling other offices of honor and trust. He was twice married, his first wife being Mary Cox, of Hayesville, Ohio, who died leaving two children, both residents of Iowa City, Iowa, namely: Jane, widow of Daniel Gillis; and Mary A., widow of Jasper H. Rice, who served as quartermaster in the Twentieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry.

The mother of our subject was also married twice, her first husband being William Dye, of Washington county, Pennsylvania, who was a carpenter by trade, and died in Mansfield, Ohio. To them were born two children: Enoch, the older, is now a farmer of Marion township, this county. The second son was General William McEntire Dye, late of the Korean army. At the age of seventeen he entered West Point, and after his graduation was appointed lieutenant in the Fourth United States Infantry. During the Civil war he served as colonel of the Twentieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and for eight years was captain of the Eighth United States Infantry stationed at Fort Davis, Texas. He was once wounded by a band of robbers, being shot in the foot. He served for five years in the Egyptian army, and was chief of police at Washington, District of Columbia, for four years. He died in Muskegon, Michigan, in 1899, and his remains were interred in Graceland cemetery, Chicago, Illinois.

The children born to Dr. Elijah W. and Susanna (Crothers) Lake were as follows: John E., a graduate of the Keokuk Medical College, was appointed by Governor Kirkwood as surgeon of the Sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry during the Civil war. While in the service he caught cold and died of consumption in 1864. Constant S. is a veteran of the Civil war and an attorney of Marion, Iowa. Elijah died young. Joseph S., who died in April, 1900, once served as county treasurer of Linn county, and was a merchant and postmaster of Marion, where his widow now resides. He was a member of the Twentieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served three years. She bore the maiden name of Mary E. Ives. Susanna is the wife of M. L. Elliott, a merchant of Grand Rapids, Michigan. George W., our subject, is next in order of birth. Rhoda is the wife of James W. Dumont, a carpenter of Marion.

George W. Lake is indebted to the public schools of Iowa for his educational privileges, being only four years old when brought by his parents to this state. On leaving home he went to Fort Fetterman, Wyoming, where he clerked for Wilson, Cobb & Company, settlers and post traders, for about two years, and then returned to Marion, where he was similarly employed in the store of M. L. Elliott for about three years. During the following twelve years he was in the employ of D. T. McAlfee, who conducted a store, elevator and warehouse at this place, and was then with J. Smythe & Company, in the grain and stock business for two years, since which time he has been connected with T. M. Sinclair & Company, packers of Cedar Rapids, having charge of their stockyard in Marion and buying stock for the firm.

In November, 1881, Mr. Lake was married in Marion to Miss Barbara E. Dickes, of Dubuque, Iowa, a daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Eidermiller) Dikes, and to them have been born four children, namely: Jennie May, now a teacher; G. Walter; William McIntire; and Glenn Foster. The family have a pleasant home at the corner of Twenty-fifth street and Ninth avenue, where they delight to entertain their many friends. Religiously Mr. Lake is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and socially he affiliates with the Masonic Lodge, No. 6, of Marion. A pleasant, genial gentleman he makes friends wherever he goes, and is held in high regard by all who know him.

Source: The Biographical Record of Linn County Iowa, Illustrated, Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1901, pages 218-220 .

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




SAMUEL C. LAMSON

This gentleman is the pioneer harness-maker of Marion, and has been a resident of Linn County since 1854. He is a native of the Green Mountain State, having been born in the town of Plainfield, Washington County, Oct. 25, 1826. His parents were Benjamin P. and Sallie (Cate) Lamson; his father was a native of Connecticut, and his mother of Vermont, and they removed from the latter State when their son, Samuel C. was a child of two years old. Benjamin P. Lamson was a surveyor, and removed to Franklin County, N.Y., for the purpose of making a survey for Peter Smith, the father of Garrett Smith.

Samuel went with his parents to New York State, but after a few years returned to Vermont, and entered upon the service of an apprenticeship at the harness-maker's trade in the town of Stowe, that State. He became proficient in this art in all its branches, as was the custom in those days. He was thus occupied for three years in Stowe, and then returned to his parents in New York. He had now become a young man, was the master of a good trade, and felt himself fully qualified to establish a home and maintain a family. Accordingly he was united in marriage  with Miss Hannah Clarke, a step-daughter  of Martin Clarke, Esq.  Their nuptials were solemnized in Clinton County, N.Y., Nov. 25, 1848. Mrs. Lamson was born in Augusta, Me., Dec. 9, 1827. Their union was blest by the birth of eight children - five sons and three daughters - two of whom are deceased. The record is as follows: William H. is a harness-maker, carrying on a good business in Marion; he married Miss Eva M. Davis: Alice A. is the wife of James Riley, and they reside at Mt. Vernon, this State; Charles was united in marriage with miss Jennie Stambaugh, and they are residents of Cedar Rapids; Lillie A. is the wife of N.B. Stambaugh, of Greene County, Iowa; Luciel M. and Dyer M. are unmarried; Albert H. and Henry died in infancy.

Mr. Lamson came to Marion in 1864, and at once engaged in his present business. He first worked as a journeyman, and soon afterward opened a shop, in which he carried on his business until 1870, when his son, William H., assumed the management. Mr. L. was one of the first manufacturers of the horse collar in this State, and was the inventor of the celebrated horse collar bearing his name. During the late war he took charge of a farm for his brother, who had enlisted in the army. This was located in the township of Bertram, in this county, and Mr. L. faithfully attended to his brother's business until after he was mustered out and able to resume it for himself.

Mrs. Lamson, a most amiable and estimable lady, departed this life at Marion, in June, 1881. She was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a lady held in high esteem by a large circle of acquaintances. In the family circle her worth could scarcely be estimated, and her death has left a vacancy which can never be filled in the hearts of those by whom she is so deeply lamented. Mr. Lamson is also a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to the support of which he cheerfully and liberally contributes. In former times, and during the slave agitation, he was a radical Abolitionist. That question having been practically disposed of, the temperance question  engaged his attention, and he is now a strong Prohibitionist. He is a man of very active mind, a good thinker, and forms intelligent and distinct opinions upon all matters of public interest. He first satisfies himself that he is in the right, and then throws the weight of his influence in that direction. The reforms which have been brought about, both as regards human liberty and the use of intoxicating beverages, are due to just such men as Samuel C. Lamson.

Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Linn County, Iowa, Containing Full Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, Together with ..., Pub. 1887, Chapman Brothers, Chicago. p.519-20.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




WILLIAM H. LAMSON

This energetic and enterprising citizen of Marion is carrying on the business of harness-making, and is meeting with success. He is the son of Samuel C. and Hannah (Clarke) Lamson (see sketch), and was born in Clintonville, N.Y., Jan. 5, 1850. He came to Cedar Rapids with his parents when a child of four years, and at the age of sixteen began to learn the trade of harness-making in his father's shop at Marion. In connection with this he also became proficient in collar-making and carriage-trimming. Under the instruction of his father he served a thorough apprenticeship, and became an expert at his trade.

William H. Lamson was married in Marion, June 5, 1873, to Miss Eva May Davis, daughter of Henry P. and Elizabeth (Lyons) Davis. Mrs. Lamson was born in Marion and remained with her parents until her marriage. She is a highly-esteemed member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and to her union with our subject three children have been born, two sons and a daughter: Ernest K., born April 5, 1874; Samuel H., born Dec. 13, 1877, died June 30, 1878; Maggie S., born Feb. 3, 1885; they were all born in Marion.

Mr. Lamson is a Prohibitionist-Republican. Although a young man he already occupies a prominent position, and is rapidly becoming one of the solid citizens of this town. He has been a member of the City Council from the Second Ward for two years. He is a member of the United Order of Ancient Templars, also of the V. A. S. Fraternity, and of the Modern Woodmen.

Mr. Lamson established business for himself in 1870, and has secured a large and increasing patronage. He turns out some of the finest work in the city, and is one of the most popular harness-makers of the place. His business is carried on in a straight-forward manner, and his goods are invariably just what they are represented to be. As a natural result he has customers from far and near, and is on the highway to a competency, which he may enjoy in later years.

Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Linn County, Iowa, Containing Full Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, Together with ..., Pub. 1887, Chapman Brothers, Chicago. p.201-2.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




LADURNIA LARRABEE, M. D.

For several years the subject of this review was a well-known and successful physician of Cedar Rapids, and his widow now resides in Kenwood Park.  He was a native of New York and a son of Willett Larrabee, who was born in the same state and for many years was super-cargo or purser on a vessel plying between New York and Cuba.  He was in Cuba when last heard from some years ago and is supposed to have been lost at sea.

Dr. Larrabee obtained his early education in the common schools of his birth place and was fitted for his chosen profession at the New York medical colleges, becoming an eclectic practitioner.  He was quite a young man when he came to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and commenced the practice of his profession.  He soon established a large and lucrative practice which he continued to enjoy for over twelve years, when, on account of failing health, he removed with his family to Andrew county, Missouri, where he resided for ten years, his death occurring there in January, 1879, when he was about fifty years of age.

In 1861, Dr. Larrabee was united in marriage with Miss Willerminia McKee, a daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Sample) McKee.  Her father was a native of Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where he continued to reside until 1841.  By trade he was a potter and followed that occupation during his residence in his native state.  After coming to Iowa in 1841 he was unable to find suitable clay to carry on that industry, and accordingly turned his attention to farming, which he followed until called to his final rest in 1878 at the age of seventy-nine years.  The death of his wife occurred in 1894.  He was an active member of the Masonic fraternity and took a deep interest in all the pertained to Masonry.  He was a prosperous and successful man, and was upright and honest in all his dealings.  In his family were seven children, of whom four died in infancy, and three are still living, namely: Daniel, born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, June 3, 1837, came with his parents to Iowa in 1841 and as soon as old enough to be any assistance he commenced to aid his father in the operation of the home farm near Cedar Rapids.  He now lives with his sister in Kenwood Park. Mrs. Larrabee is the next in order of birth.  John is a brick maker and small farmer living in Cedar Rapids.  He served through the Civil war as a member of Company K, Ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry.  He is married and has a family.

Shortly after her husband’s death Mrs. Larrabee returned to this county, and is now residing with her older brother in Kenwood Park, where they have a comfortable home.  She has one daughter, Calphurnia, wife of Frederick Beall, who has a large department store at Aspen, Pitkin county, Colorado.  They have two children, Hazel and Frederick.  Mr. Beall is a son of Jeremiah Beall, a prominent farmer and highly respected citizen of this county, who lived east of Marion for many years, and who died about three years ago at an advanced age.  His wife still survives him and continues to reside on the old homestead in Marion township.

Dr. Larrabee was a successful physician and accumulated considerable property.  He was a Republican in politics and a believer in spiritualism.  A public-spirited man, a devoted husband and a kind and indulgent father, he was held in high regard by all who knew him.  He ever maintained a high standard of right and wrong, and being kind-hearted and generous with his fellow men, he made many friends and no enemies.  He was also a man of strong character and determined will power, and was ever ready to assist the weak or oppressed.

Source: The Biographical Record of Linn County Iowa, Illustrated, Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1901, pages 107-8.

Submitted by: Carrie J. Robertson of Marion




EDWARD LECLERE

One of the representative business men of Central City is Ed Leclere, the well known cashier of the State Bank of Central City. He is a native of Linn county, his birth occurring in Boulder township on the 24th of November, 1876. His father, Charles F. Leclere, was born in the state of New York. During the greater part of his life he followed farming in Linn county, but a few years ago he removed to Cedar Rapids, where he is now living retired, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of former toil. After coming to this county he married Miss Thresa Kemling, a native of Germany, who was brought to the new world by her parents during her girlhood. She is still living and by her marriage became the mother of fourteen children, namely: Henry C., an up-to-date farmer of Boulder township; George L., who is also engaged in the same pursuit in that township; William, who makes his home in Monticello, Iowa, and is engaged in the threshing and sawmill business; Frank, also a farmer of Boulder township; one who died in infancy; Alexander, a retired farmer of Coggon, Iowa; Ed, of this review; Fred L., who is engaged in clerking in a hardware store at Alta, Iowa; Lena, the wife of Harvey Whitney, a farmer of Boulder township; Mamie, the wife of William H. Trefe, who follows farming in the same township; Anna, at home with her parents; Nettie, a trained nurse now located in Waterloo, Iowa; and Elmer D, and Clara, both at home.

Reared on the home farm, Ed Leclere acquired his early education in the country schools of Boulder township and later attended the high school at Monticello, Iowa. He also pursued a commercial course in the Cedar Rapids Business College and was thus well prepared to engage in business pursuits, having obtained a good, practical education. On leaving the parental roof he went to Coggon and on the 1st of July, 1900, accepted the position of assistant cashier in the bank at that place, where he remained for five and a half years, giving the utmost satisfaction. He then came to Central City to become cashier of the State Bank of Central City, which position he is now filling to the entire satisfaction of all concerned, He is also financially interested in the bank and, being a good, reliable business man, conservative in his methods, yet progressive, he has done much to promote the interests of the institution.

In 1901 Mr. Leclere was united in marriage to Miss May L. Savage, of Coggon, Iowa, and they have become the parents of three children, namely: Fay E., Roy W., and Donnell M. Since attaining his majority Mr. Leclere has cast his ballot for the men and measures of the republican party and, taking an active interest in public affairs, served as township clerk and treasurer while a resident of Coggon. Religiously he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is the owner of one of the nicest residences in Central City and his home is a hospitable one, the many friends of the family always being sure of a hearty welcome there. Mr. Leclere is very popular both in business and social life and is a man who has the respect and confidence of all with whom he is brought in contact.

Source: 1911 Linn Co., IA History Vol. 2 pgs. 74-77 (missing pgs. 75-76)

Submitted by Becky Teubner 




MARY S. LEGARE

In connection with what has been said of Mr. H. L. Bryan, [read his bio] it will only be necessary to add a few words concerning Miss Legare. 

She was a lady of the highest culture and refinement, having enjoyed every advantage that wealth and position could afford. She was the sister of the distinguished statesman of South Carolina, the Hon. Hugh S. Legare, who filled the offices of attorney General, of U. S. Senator, and was also acting Secretary of State. 

She edited and published the writings of her brother in two large octavo volumes. She became the wife of Mr. Lowell Bullen, of Marion, where she resided several years. After Mr. Bullen’s death which occurred Nov. 2, 1869 she returned to South Carolina where she died some year ago.

Source: Carroll, Rev. George R., Pioneer Life In and Around Cedar Rapids, Iowa from 1839 to 1849, page 190, Times Printing and Binding House, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1895.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




EPHRAIM T. LEWIS

Mr. [Ephraim T.] Lewis was a large, fleshy man, wide awake and good natured and full of enthusiasm. He was a Methodist by profession, and often exhorted the people with great fervor and zeal. His religion was good so far as it went, but I am sorry to say that it did not go far enough, for he had the reputation of not being very reliable in his statements nor in his business transactions. However, in general terms he proved to be a very good neighbor, always accommodating and ready to work for the public good, though somewhat grasping in disposition and fond of preferment.

Mr. Lewis’ family did not arrive till the following autumn or early winter. The family consisted of Mrs. Lewis, two sons, William and Wilbert, two daughters, Zipporah and Sarah, the former the wife of Mr. N. G. Niece, and the latter a young girl of 12 years of age, perhaps. The family was held in high esteem and we regarded them as very valuable acquisitions to our society.

Mrs. Lewis was a women of great excellence of character, who won the hearts of all her pioneer associates by her uniform kindness of disposition and her many generous and neighborly acts. It was a dire misfortune to the family and a great sorrow to the neighborhood when, some five years later, Mrs. Lewis was suddenly called away by death. The family was soon broken up and scattered after this sad event, and their subsequent history, especially that of the three younger children, had better remain unwritten.

Mr. Lewis married quite happily a second time, but he seemed to be somewhat unfortunate in his business transactions. He died a few years later near his old claim where we first met him.


Source: Carroll, Rev. George R., Pioneer Life In and Around Cedar Rapids, Iowa from 1839 to 1849, pages 15-16, Times Printing and Binding House, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1895.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




MR. LEVI LEWIS

Our next neighbor on the south was Mr. Levi Lewis, who came to this country some time in the spring of 1840, I think. He was a native of Pennsylvania, I believe, and he had two brothers and two sisters who settled on the west side of the river ten or twelve miles above this place. My impression is that they all came to this place direct from Indiana.

Mr. Lewis was considered quite forehanded for those days. He was a man of intelligence, but very plain in his style of dress and manner of living. His family came some months later. They were always regarded among our kindest and most reliable neighbors. Mr. Lewis and his wife were members of the Methodist church, and so far as I know, their lives corresponded with their high profession.

Their cabin was located near the entrance of Oak Hill cemetery. Soon after his arrival, Mr. Lewis broke up a hundred acres of his land, which lay south and east of Tenth street and Sixth avenue, and extending to the river. For several years my father rented a part of that land until our own farm was sufficiently improved to require all our attention. Many days of toil were spent by my father and us boys on this ground which is now so densely populated, and where are located some of our most comfortable homes, and where to-day many business houses and factories flourish.

I am sure that it was generally regretted when, some ten or eleven years later, Mr. Lewis decided to sell out his property and go to Texas. His death occurred in that State many years ago.

Source: Carroll, Rev. George R., Pioneer Life In and Around Cedar Rapids, Iowa from 1839 to 1849 pages 67-68, Times Printing and Binding House, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1895.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




THOMAS C. LEWIS

Thomas C. Lewis, well known as a prosperous and enterprising agriculturist of Fayette township, still makes his home on the farm where he was born — a valuable tract of land comprising four hundred acres on sections 29, 31 and 32. His birth occurred on the 14th of June, 1865, his parents being Thomas and Mary (White) Lewis, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio respectively. In 1839 they came to Linn county, Iowa, and took up their abode among its early settlers, locating on a tract of land which the father entered from the government. Here they continued to reside throughout the remainder of their lives, the mother passing away in 1893, while the father was called to his final rest in May, 1909. He had attained the remarkable age of one hundred years and was for six decades numbered among the most respected and substantial citizens of this county. Unto him and his wife were born six children, all of whom still survive.

Thomas C. Lewis attended the common schools in his youthful years and also assisted his father in the operation of the home farm, thus early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. On obtaining his majority he took possession of the old homestead place and has owned and operated the farm continuously since. It comprises four hundred acres of land on sections 29, 31 and 32, Fayette township, all of which has been brought under a high state of cultivation and improvement. Bending his energies toward raising the best quality of cereals possible, Mr. Lewis annually gathers and markets good crops and has likewise devoted considerable time to feeding and shipping stock, deriving from this enterprise also a gratifying income.

In December, 1892, Mr. Lewis was united in marriage to Miss Alice Railsback, who was born in this county in 1864, her parents being Conrad and Mary J. (Elson) Railsback, both natives of Ohio. The father is still living, but the mother has passed away. Mrs. Lewis was one of a family of eleven children and by her marriage has become the mother of two, Orland and Albert.

In politics Mr. Lewis is a democrat and his fellow townsmen have called him to the position of trustee. His wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and takes an active and helpful interest in its work. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis have spent their entire lives within the borders of Linn county, and that they have lived honorably is manifest in the fact that they enjoy the respect and confidence of those who have known them from childhood.

Source: History of Linn County Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. II, Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, p. 27-8.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




BERTHA S. LILLIE M.D.

Among those who devote their time and energies to the practice of medicine and have gained a leading place in the ranks of the profession is Dr. Lillie, of Marion, who is a native of Linn county, where her parents W. L. and Eulalia (Lucore) Lillie, still reside. The father was born in Vermont and is one of a family of seven children. On coming to this county in 1865, he was accompanied by his brother, George A. and in 1880 Willis also located here.  All three are now living in the same neighborhood in Marion township. One brother, Rush, is still a resident of the Green Mountain state, as is also his sister, Dora, wife of Gardner Ashley, while Alma, wife of Cyrus H. Aikens, lives in Kansas; and Nellie, wife of John Carlin, makes her home in Massachusetts. The Doctor's mother is a native of Iowa, and one of a large family, the others being Alonzo, a ranchman, of Colorado; Joseph, a music teacher, of this county; Herbert, a farmer of Nebraska; Luther, a traveling salesman residing in Des Moines; Julalia, who is a twin sister of Mrs. Lillie and the wife of William Austin, a farmer of this county; Joanna, wife of F. D. Wightman, a carpenter and contractor of Marion; Lizzie, wife of W. W. Scott, a farmer of this county; and Mahala, wife of Wilson Wightman, of Lincoln, Nebraska.

During the dark days of the Civil war W. L. Lillie enlisted in 1862, in the Fifty-first Vermont Volunteer Infantry, which was assigned to the Army of the Potomac and was in the reserve force at the battle of Gettysburg. He was honorably discharged at the end of nine months when his term of enlistment expired. As previously stated he removed from Vermont to this county in 1865, and has since made his home in Marion township with the exception of two years spent in Buchanan county, Iowa. As a farmer and stock raiser he has met with marked success during his residence here. He makes a specialty of fine horses. He has efficiently served as school director of his district, and has ever taken a commendable interest in educational affairs. He is to-day one of the most prosperous and extensive farmers of Marion township, as well as one of its leading and representative citizens.

Dr. Lillie is the second in order of birth in a family of seven children, the others being as follows: (1) M. Jane is the wife of C. H. Brooks, an attorney of Wichita, Kansas, and they have four children, Willard L., Helen, Catherine and Josephine. (3) George L. and (4) Josephine E. are twins. The former married Inez Stinson, of Dakota City, Nebraska, and is engaged in farming in Marion township, this county, while the latter is at home with her parents. (5) Frank J. assists his father in the operation of the home farm. (6) Park H. is also at home. (7) Alice is now attending the Marion High school, of which the others are all graduates.

Dr. Lillie began her education in the district school near her childhood home. After her graduation she taught in the home district one year, and then took a six months course in stenography and type-writing at Cedar Rapids. Later she attended Cornell College, and subsequently  entered the Homeopathic medical department of the State University of Iowa, where she was graduated in 1897, with the degree of M.D., standing second in a class of sixteen. Since then she has actively engaged in practice in Marion and vicinity. She gives special attention to the diseases of women and children, and is considered one of the best representatives of that branch of the profession in Linn county. She is well versed on all subjects pertaining to her chosen calling, and stands deservedly high in the profession and among the laity. The Doctor is now medical examiner for the Legion of Honor and the Royal Neighbors, and is vice-president of the Central Iowa Homeopathic Association, of which she is a prominent member. Religiously, she is a member of the Congregational church, and has been superintendent of the Sabbath school for the past three years.

Source: Biographical Record of Linn County, Iowa. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1901. p.203-204.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




GEORGE ALLEN LINCOLN

In Cedar Rapids and throughout the state where his public service has made him widely known George Allen Lincoln is spoken of in terms of admiration and respect. His life has been so varied in its activity, so honorable in its purpose, so far-reaching and beneficial in its effects that it has become an integral part of the history of the city, and has also left an impress upon the annals of the state. The consensus of opinion on the part of his fellowmen concerning Mr. Lincoln is one altogether favorable, for his public spirit and devotion to the general good, as well as his comprehensive understanding of the questions affecting state and national welfare, have awakened for him regard and admiration. A native of Massachusetts, he was born in Chicopee, January 31, 1848, a son of George Daniel and Mary Elizabeth Lincoln, the former well known in connection with the grain and elevator business. The removal of the family to Madison, Wisconsin, during the early boyhood of George A. Lincoln enabled him to pursue his education in the public schools and in a business college of that city, but at the age of sixteen he put aside his text-books and, though but a boy in years, offered his services to the government, enlisting in defense of the Union as a member of the Third Wisconsin Light Artillery during the Civil war. As a private he went to the front and served with the Army of the Tennessee until honorably discharged July 5, 1865, at Madison, Wisconsin, at the close of hostilities.

After his return home Mr. Lincoln secured employment as a clerk in a clothing store in Madison, where he remained until March 25, 1867, when at the age of nineteen years he came to Cedar Rapids and purchased a clothing and merchant tailoring business, which he conducted with growing success for twenty years. In 1889-90 he was engaged in building the first electric street railway of the city of Dubuque, Iowa, and on the 4th of March, 1891, he was appointed postmaster of Cedar Rapids, serving for one term of four years under President Harrison.

From early manhood Mr. Lincoln has been deeply interested in politics and throughout almost the entire period of his residence in Cedar Rapids has been recognized as one of the local leaders of the party, and with the passing years has come to be regarded as one of the foremost republicans of the state. He was first called to office when elected alderman for the third precinct for the years 1874 and 1875. In 1878 he was chosen by popular suffrage to the office of recorder and assessor and then, as previously stated, was appointed postmaster, from which position he retired with a most creditable record in 1895. In the same year he was elected mayor of Cedar Rapids and was reelected in 1896 and 1897, thus continuing as the chief executive officer of the city through three consecutive terms, during which time his course was characterized by a businesslike and public-spirited administration of municipal interests. During his term as postmaster the first government building was erected in this city through the efforts of Mr. Lincoln and other public-spirited citizens. He was again called to office in 1901 when appointed state fish and game warden, and in 1904, 1907 and in 1910 he was reappointed so that he is now serving for the fourth consecutive term of three years each. While filling the office he had succeeded in having the Hunters License law passed by the general assembly, which has placed this department in excellent financial condition, over one hundred and five thousand dollars having been realized from this source in the year 1909. Although reared in the faith of the democratic party Mr. Lincoln has ever been a stalwart republican, has always been active in the deliberations and work of the party and has served in many capacities, from that of worker at the polls to member of the state central committee. He represented the fifth district in the state central committee in 1890 and 1891, and it was largely by reason of his extensive acquaintance and influence in the state that the republican state convention was several times brought to Cedar Rapids.

His activity in politics has not precluded his connection with business affairs for with others for several years he has been engaged in the sewer contracting business and the extensive patronage received in that direction has made the enterprise a growing and profitable one. A man of most marked public spirit and of unfaltering loyalty to the general good, he has done effective work in behalf of his city as secretary of the Cedar Rapids Commercial Club in 1899 and 1900, during which time he succeeded in having one of the first public auditoriums in the state built. He was always an enthusiastic volunteer fireman and in 1869 organized the first volunteer fire department in the city of
Cedar Rapids, serving as chief engineer from 1870 until 1876. He was also identified with the Iowa State Firemen’s Association and served as president in 1892-3.

On the 17th of February, 1869, in Cedar Rapids, Mr. Lincoln was married to Miss Fannie Atwell and they have one daughter, Bertha, now the wife of F. F. Canniff, of Dubuque, Iowa. With liberal hand and open heart Mr. Lincoln has ever maintained a most hospitable home, over which his wife graciously presides, sharing with him in the entertainment of their many friends.

Fraternally Mr. Lincoln is connected with Cedar Rapids Lodge, No. 98, K. P., in which he has served as chancellor commander. He also holds membership with the Knights of the Maccabees, the Woodmen of the World, the Modern Brotherhood of America and with T. Z. Cook Post, G. A. R., in which he maintains relations with his old army comrades. He has served the post as commander and is a regular delegate to all state encampments. He attends the Episcopal church, but does not hold membership therein. During the forty-three years of his residence in Cedar Rapids he has lived to see the small town develop into a city of forty thousand population and rejoices in its well earned reputation of being the best and cleanest city in the state. His legion of friends throughout Iowa., both social and political, are with him at all times.

Source: History of Linn County Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. II, Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, p. 13-15.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




LISTEBARGER (Lichtebarger) BROTHERS: JOHN, JOSEPH & ISAAC

About the first of April, 1839, there came from Pennsylvania, Westmoreland county, two brothers, John and Joseph Listebarger by name, who settled on the west side of the river. Later in the season an older brother, Isaac Listebarger, came, and he also located on the west side. John and Joseph had a little cabin located above, and Isaac afterwards built one below, where the dam was built in after years. 

They all had claims, and all did something in the way of farming. Isaac and Joseph, however, being carpenters and joiners, worked a good deal of the time at that business. They were the first carpenters to locate in Cedar Rapids. They were all good, honest men, and had the utmost confidence and respect of their fellow citizens. 

Isaac and his wife became charter members of the First Presbyterian church in this place when it was formed in 1847. John and Joseph here members of the Methodist church, and all of them were men whom any church might gladly welcome to its communion.

Isaac Listebarger died about the year 1853, and John passed away in 1861, on his farm in Fairfax township, where he had lived for many years.  Only a few years ago Joseph, the last of the brothers, departed this life at his home a mile and a quarter west of the river, on the Vinton road. 

Source: Carroll, Rev. George R., Pioneer Life In and Around Cedar Rapids, Iowa from 1839 to 1849, pages 98-99, Times Printing and Binding House, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1895.

Submitted by: Terry Carlson




JOHN LOCKHART

John Lockhart, one of the prominent and representative farmers of Washington township, his home being on section 8, just west of Center Point, has spent his entire life here, his birth occurring March 6, 1851, upon the farm where he still resides. His father, Thomas G. Lockhart, was born in Adams county, Ohio, May 28, 1814, and was a son of Thomas and Mary (Brown) Lockhart, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in 1789 and the latter in 1788. They were of Scotch descent and at an early day became residents of Adams county, Pennsylvania, where the grandfather owned and operated a distillery becoming one of the prominent men of his community. He was a soldier of the war of 1812.

Thomas G. Lockhart, the father of our subject, spent his boyhood and youth in the county of his nativity and in 1837 removed to Sangamon county, Illinois, where he resided for a few years. There he was married December 10, 1837, to Miss Lettie Osborn, a native of Indiana and a daughter of Jonathan and Susan Osborn. In 1838 they came to Iowa and two years later settled in Linn county, being among the pioneers of this region. Here the father entered the land on which our subject now resides and to its improvement and cultivation, devoted his energies throughout the remainder of his life. As time passed he converted the place into a most productive and valuable tract and made many excellent improvements, including the erection of three sets of farm buildings. He prospered in his life work , becoming the owner of three hundred and three acres of very valuable land, and was numbered among the most substantial farmers of Washington township. He was also prominent and influential in public affairs and served for twelve consecutive years as justice of the peace and also as township treasurer for some years. His political support was given to the democratic party and he was an active and faithful member of the Church of Christ at Center Point, with which he was officially connected. He died on the home farm, January 24, 1891, and his wife passed away July 5, 1899, both being laid to rest in Davis cemetery, Grant township. They were the parents of eleven children, but only three are now living, namely: Craton, who is a resident of the state of Washington; Mrs. Amanda Bunker, of Urbana, Iowa; and John of this review.

Reared upon the home farm, John Lockhart early acquired an excellent knowledge of every department of farm work and his literary education was obtained in the public schools which he attended to a limited extent, but at the age of thirteen years began plowing corn and from that time on his attention was principally devoted to agricultural pursuits, pursuing his studies in the schoolroom only when there was no work to be done on the farm. After reaching man’s estate he remained at home and cooperated with his father in the operation of the farm which they successfully operated together until the father’s death in 1891, when the place passed into the possession of our subject.  He has since sold twenty acres of the tract but still has a very valuable farm of two hundred and eighty-three acres which is under a high state of cultivation and supplied with all the modern accessories found upon the model farm of the twentieth century.

Mr. Lockhart was married October 12, 1882, in Benton county, Iowa, to Miss Belle Cross of Vinton, that county. Her father, Solomon Cross, was a native of Tennessee, but just prior to coming to Iowa made his home in Indiana. He was one of the pioneer settlers of Benton county, but is now residing near Hobart, Oklahoma. Mr. and Mrs. Lockhart have three children, namely: Inez May, now the wife of J. W. Warmer who is engaged in the grain and elevator business in Center Point, Iowa; Ross W. and Paul C., twins.

In connection with general farming Mr. Lockhart has devoted considerable attention to the handling and raising of thoroughbred Hereford cattle and keeps on hand high grade stock. Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise he has been an earnest supporter of the democratic party and in November, 1908, was elected to the board of township trustees, in which position he is now serving. He also filled the position of township treasurer for six years and his official duties have always been most promptly and ably discharged. Fraternally he is an honored member of Vienna Lodge, No. 142, A. F. & A. M., and a demitted member of the Order of the Eastern Star. Both he and his wife take an active and prominent part on church work, holding membership in the Church of Christ, of which he is now an elder. They are regarded as among the leading and prominent citizens of Washington township and they have a wide circle of friends and acquaintances throughout Linn county.

Source: History of Linn County Iowa From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Volume II, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, pgs. 56-57

Submitted by: Terry J. Carlson



ROBERT LOCKHART
Robert LOCKHART is one of the leading landowners of Fairfax Township, and a prominent pioneer settler of Linn County.  He occupies his fine homestead, embracing a part of sections 3 and 10, and is the owner of 324 acres of choice land.  He is one of the best citizens and business men of his community, and has been successful in his agricultural pursuits.  He has also been largely interested in the raising of fine stock, of which he exhibits some of the best animals in this part of the State.  

Mr. Lockhart is a descendant of proud old Scottish ancestry, and was born in Haddington County, Scotland, in the Lowlands, May 14, 1829.  He was reared in the household of his father, where he remained until he reached man's estate.  When he was fourteen years of age, his parents removed to Goucestershire, England, where their lives terminated at an advanced age.  The greater part of the father's life had been occupied as overseer for gentlemen of large landed possessions.  His name was Thomas, and the maiden name of his mother was Jane Munroe.  At his decease the father was eighty-five years of age and the mother seventy-seven.

Upon arriving at years of manhood Robert Lockhart determined to seek his fortune in the New World.  He accordingly set sail April 10, 1851, embarking at Bristol, and landing in New York City.  He remained there for two years, and then emigrated to Iowa, coming into Linn County in 1853, where he purchased 120 acres of prairie land and ten acres of timber, all of which was in its original state, a wild and unbroken tract, into which a plowshare had never been placed.  He at once began the improvement and cultivation of his new possession, making good headway, and in due time considered himself justified in inviting a partner to share his home.  The lady of his choice was Miss Mary Dickson, and their marriage was celebrated March 10, 1859.  Mrs. Lockhart is a native of England, and was born Sept. 25, 1840.  Her parents were of pure Scotch blood, and removed into England after their marriage.  The name of the father was William Dickson, and the maiden name of her mother, Mary A. Robertson.  The family emigrated to the United States in 1856, proceeded to Iowa, and made their first settlement on the farm of our subject, where they remained until his marriage with their daughter.  These worthy people, who are still living, became successful after their emigration to the New World, and still make their home in Fairfax Township.

Into the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lockhart came at little band of nine children, four of whom are now deceased, viz.: Jane, William, Anna and Mary.  The living are: Thomas, Maria, Henry, John and George.  The mother departed this life July 2, 1875.  Before the decease of his wife, Mr. L. returned to England, and remained there three or four months, passing the time pleasantly among old friends and acquaintances.  He then returned and resumed his duties on the farm in company with his children, and is now passing the latter years of an active life in the ease and quiet enjoyment obtained as the reward of his early toil and industry.  He is highly esteemed as an honest man and good citizen, and a valued member of his community.  In politics he is a Republican.  His first vote for President was for Fremont, since which time he has steadily voted the Republican ticket.

Among the portraits of representative citizens shown in this volume none will be more highly appreciated than that of Mr. Lockhart, which is shown on an accompanying page.

Source: portrait and biographical sketch (verbatim transcription):  “Portrait and Biographical Album of Linn County, Iowa”, 1887, pages 454 and 457, portrait on page 456

Submitted by: Eric & Marcia Griggs


LUTHER G. LONG

Luther G. Long is a native son of Linn county who has gained success in life single-handed and without other aid than that which a natural aptitude for agricultural pursuits, coupled with a strong constitution, gives to a man. He is, in every sense of the term, a self-made man and a representative citizen of the county.
He was born March 18, 1868, and is a son of James W. and Samantha (Button) Long. His father was born and reared in the Buckeye state and was a blacksmith by trade and a good one. His mother was from Indiana.
 
They came to Linn county, Iowa, shortly before their marriage. Mr. Long arrived in 1842 and at once set up his forge, doing blacksmithing for the countryside. Late in his life he rented a farm for a few years but soon retired after purchasing a twelve-acre plot of ground, upon which he passed his closing days.

Luther G. Long remained with his parents until twenty-seven years old, working upon his father's farm. Then he was married, February 19, 1895, to Miss Sarah Eastman, a daughter of Oliver and Sarah S. (Fairchilds) Eastman, both natives of Ohio, having located in Linn county, Iowa, in 1853. Mrs. Long was born in Spring Grove township, her home being the house at present occupied by herself, husband and family.  There have been six children born to them, namely: Neva L., aged fourteen years; Evelyn D., aged twelve; Ora E., aged ten; the twins, Leland W, and Lelah A., aged eight; and Irma V., aged two years.

Mr. and Mrs. Long began married life by renting one hundred and twenty acres of land, occupying that place for about a year. Then they secured possession of the old Eastman property by purchase and have lived there since 1896. This place Mr. Long has improved to a great extent, yet contemplates still further improvements which he has mapped out. Both Mr. and Mrs. Long affiliate with the Methodist Protestant church, as do their children. He votes the republican ticket and has held the office of school director for six years, at the present time being an incumbent of the office. At the June primaries of 1910, he received the republican nomination for assessor of Spring Grove township, which demonstrated the sentiment of the community toward him. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge of Coggon, and leads a life worthy of a member of such a fraternal organization.

Source: History of Linn County Iowa From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Volume II, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, pgs. 395-396

Submitted by Becky Teubner 



JONATHAN LORD
This highly respected and esteemed citizen of Clinton Township, after a life of active industry, is now living in retirement on a small tract of land of seventy-five acres, which constitutes a most comfortable homestead, ami from its location and cultvation, is one of the most attractive spots in the township.  Mr. Lord, a few years ago, possessed a very large amount of real estate, which he has recently bequeathed to his children, and with it a large amount of care and responsibility.  He feels that he has performed his part well in life, and that he is now rightfully entitled to the peace and satisfaction which a well-spent life and a good conscience is sure to bring.

Mr. Lord came to Linn County in the spring of 1854, purchasing a partly improved farm of forty acres.  He had some experience in agriculture and was possessed of excellent judgment, and was greatly prospered in his labors for the improvement and cultivation of his land.  In addition to general husbandry, he was largely engaged in stock-raising, and has produced some of the finest animals in this part of the Hawkeye State.  

Jonathan Lord comes of stanch English ancestry, and was born near Manchester June 2, 1813.  His father, Samuel Lord, was a manufacturer of cloth, and besides being an expert at his calling, was well known throughout England as one of the finest singers in the kingdom.  He came of an excellent old family, who were prominent in social and religious circles, and noted for their musical talent.  Samuel Lord was a man of great piety and generosity.  He was frequently offered a large salary for his services as a vocalist, which he invaluably declined, and sang his sweet melodies everywhere without money and without price.  He was a fervent member of the Baptist Church, and departed this life at the age of sixty-eight years, having previously emigrated to this country, and been a resident of Canada two years.  His remains were buried on the banks of the Merrimac River, at North Chelmsford, Mass.

The maiden name of the mother of our subject was Betty Ashworth, and she was born and reared in the same county in England that her husband was.  She died near Manchester at the age of forty-four years, and was an earnest, active member of the Baptist Church.  She was the mother of twelve sons and two daughters, the two latter being the youngest children.  Jonathan was the seventh son and child, but claims no superiority, either mentally or physically, which is usually claimed as given to the seventh son.  He remained at home with his parents until a young man, in the meantime becoming skilled in the trade of his father, that of a weaver.  He occupied himself at his trade until 1842, when he emigrated to the United States, accompanied by his parent.  After arriving here they made their home in Canada for two years, removing thence to Massachusetts, where the life of the father terminated.  After his father's death, Mr. Lord remained in Massachusetts, working at his trade, for some years.  In the meantime he went to Pennsylvania and tried his hand at farming, but with indifferent success, owing to hard times and scarcity of money.  He abandoned farming for the time, returned to Massachusetts, and remained at Andover eleven years, employing himself at his trade in Hodge's Mill.

Previous to his emigration to this country Mr. Lord had been united in marriage with Miss Betty Shore, and of this union six children were born, the mother departing this life at the birth of her last child.  Two of her sons are yet living, Thomas and Robert, and are residents of Linn County, where they are occupied in farming and have become very prosperous.  In due time after the death of his first wife, Mr. L. contracted a second marriage in Massachusetts, with a Scotch lady, Miss Margaret Whiteford, who died in this township and county.  There were no children of this marriage.  Mr. L. was married the third time to Mrs. Mary (Sutliffe) Peel.  This lady was a native of England, born and reared in Bradford, Yorkshire, and was married to her first husband, Mr. Enoch Peel, in her native town, emigrating with him to this country some time after their marriage.  Mr. Peel died in Clinton Township in 1868.  Of this union were born three children who attained to years of maturity, and the fourth one died in infancy.  One son, Walter, is a railroad baggage-master, with headquarters in California.  He was married, but his wife is now deceased.  Arthur, also a railroad man, has his home near Des Moines, Iowa.  Mary is the wife of Joseph Usher, a farmer in Clinton Township.

Mr. Lord is an ardent Republican, courageously and fearlessly upholding the principles promulgated by that organization.  He is favored with a good physical constitution, and combines strictness of moral principle with energy and decision of character.  He has made profitable investments, was successful in business, and secured a competency through the exercise of industry and good judgment.  Through these qualities he has also secured the confidence of the community in which he lives, and is looked up to as a man whose counsel may be relied upon as safe to follow, and deeply imbued with the principles of honesty and justice.

We are happy to present the portrait of Mr. Lord on another page of this work.

source of portrait and biographical sketch (verbatim transcription):  “Portrait and Biographical Album of Linn County, Iowa”, 1887, biographical sketch on pages 317 - 318, portrait on page 316

Submitted by: Eric & Marcia Griggs


RICHARD LORD. M. D.

With tireless energy, keen perception and ability to devise the right thing at die right time, with power to plan and to perform, Dr. Richard Lord has not only won a prominent place in the medical profession but is today recognized as one of the most successful business men of Cedar Rapids. He was born in Mantorville, Dodge county, Minnesota, on the 28th of October, 1868, and is descended from one of the oldest New England families, his direct ancestors being Thomas and Dorothy Lord, who came with their family to America from England with the Rev. Hooker and his flock in 1635, becoming the founders of Hartford, Connecticut and the family has taken a prominent place in the succeeding history of New England.

The Doctor is the son of Samuel and Louisa (Compton) Lord. Samuel Lord’s birth occurred in Meadville, Pennsylvania, where he continued to reside throughout his boyhood and youth. He received a good classical education, attending Allegheny College at Meadville, and subsequently took up the study of law, being admitted to the Pennsylvania bar. He was united in marriage to Miss Louisa
Compton, and in 1860 they removed to Minnesota, where he successfully engaged in the practice of law throughout the remainder of his life. As a republican he took a very active and prominent part in local politics and was called ‘apon to represent his district in the lower house of the general assembly. Later he was elected to the senate and became a prominent member of that body. High honors came to him in professional lines also, for he was made judge of the fifth judicial district and was serving on the bench at the time of his death, which occurred in 1880. His wife had passed away the year previous. They were people of prominence in the city where they resided and were faithful members of the Episcopal church.

In the family of this worthy couple were eight children, of whom four are still living, namely: Samuel, a distinguished attorney of Kasson, Dodge county, Minnesota, and at one time a member of the state senate, has taken an active interest in political affairs and in 1900 was chairman of the Minnesota delegation at the republican national convention held in Philadelphia, and is at present serving as chairman of the state tax commission. Hugh C. is also prominent in republican politics and is a leading attorney of Erie, Pennsylvania. Myrtle is an artist of ability who devoted several years to study in Europe and is now living at Meadville, Pennsylvania. Richard completes the family.

In the state of his nativity Dr. Lord grew to manhood and was given good educational advantages, attending the high schools of Mantorville and Kasson and in the fall of 1890 began preparation for his chosen profession under the preceptorship of his cousin, Dr. C. L. Chambers, late of Kasson, Minnesota. Subsequently he entered the medical department of the University of Minnesota, where he attended one course of lectures, and then matriculated at Rush Medical College in Chicago, from which he was graduated with the class of 1893. After his graduation he did substitute practice in Michigan City and in Crary, North Dakota, for three or four months, and then located at Louisville, Nebraska, where he was engaged in practice until the summer of 1896, which witnessed his arrival in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In the practice of his profession at this place he has met remarkable success, his patrons coming from many of the best families of the city.

Dr. Lord has not confined his attention wholly to his professional labors, but has become extensively interested in several land companies, owning a large amount of property in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, and individually has extensive holdings in the first named state. It has been largely through his efforts that about fifteen thousand acres of land have been opened up and developed in Minnesota between Two Harbors and Duluth, which is being colonized by the best class of American citizens, progressive, energetic men, who have done much toward making that region a most productive agricultural one. Situated in the Knife River valley, it is a country of unusual beauty and a soil of exceptional fertility. As aids to its development he has installed a fully equipped sawmill and the most modem machinery for clearing the land. The Doctor is also identified with various business enterprises, being associated with the Glenn Voting Machine Company, the Acme Fire Insurance Company, the LeFebure Ledger Company, and has various other financial interests in Cedar rapids.

In 1894 was celebrated the marriage of Dr. Lord and Miss Jessie A. Leedy, a daughter of Henry M. and Mary Elizabeth (Johnston) Leedy, of New Providence, Iowa. Her parents dying when she was but a baby, she with an older brother. John W., were reared in the family of Mr. and Mrs. John Lang, of Wasioja, Minnesota. This brother is now professor of science at Central Holiness University at Oskaloosa, Iowa. The family residence at 1580 Third avenue is one of the finest of the city’s many fine homes. The Doctor is prominent in professional circles and is a member of the Linn County Medical Society and also belongs to the Iowa Union Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is supreme medical director of the Fraternal Bankers Reserve Society, in which capacity he has served since its organization. He is popular in fraternal as well as professional circles and is a member of Crescent Lodge, No. 25, A. F. & A. M.; Trowel Chapter, No. 49, R. A. M.; Apollo Commandery, No. 26; Iowa Consistory, No. 2, A. & A. S. R; and El Kahir Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S. He also belongs to Maine Lodge, No. 643, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modem Woodmen of America and other societies.

Dr. Lord is one of the city’s foremost citizens and belongs to the Cedar Rapids Country Club and to the Cedar Rapids Commercial Club. Public-spirited and progressive, he is actively identified with various movements for the public good. He has given his attention to his professional interests with a success that is truly enviable. He has not cramped his interests by confining them to a few matters. On the contrary his breadth of sympathy and his broad outlook upon life are among the many things that make him an esteemed citizen of Linn county. He an alert, enterprising business man, rejoicing in opportunities for activity and in improving all the opportunities that have come to him he has found the success that places him in a prominent position among the leading business and professional men of this part of the state

Source: History of Linn County Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. II, Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, p. 721-3.

Contributed by: Terry Carlson




LEONARD F. LOUNSBURY

As a mason this gentleman has been actively identified with the business interests of Cedar Rapids since the 16th of June, 1882, and is accounted one of its most energetic and reliable business men.  A native of Connecticut, he was born in Stamford, Fairfield county, on the 3d of September, 1837, and belongs to a family of French extraction, which was founded in the new world in 1660, his ancestors being among the earliest settlers of Connecticut.  His paternal great-grandfather was Gideon Lounsbury, and his grandfather was Elijah Lounsbury, both life-long residents of that state.  His father, Ezra Lounsbury, was born and reared there, and throughout his active business career followed the shoemaker’s trade.  In September, 1822, he married Miss Phoebe Scofield, also a native of Connecticut, and a daughter of Alpheus Scofield.  To them were born four children, of whom Leonard F. is the youngest and the only one married.  The others are Mary E., Betsey M. and E. Willard, all residents of New Canaan, Connecticut.  The father died in that state in October, 1865.

The early educational advantages of our subject were such as the common school of Connecticut afforded during his boyhood.  He learned the plasterer’s trade, and later became a brick-layer, following those occupations in Fairfield county, Connecticut, for over twenty years.  On the 16th of June, 1882, he joined an old friend, Charles E. Seely, in Cedar Rapids, and forming a partnership they engaged in contracting and building for about ten years.  The last piece of work which they did together was plastering the Kimball block.  Since then Mr. Lounsbury has been alone in business, and many of the public buildings and private residences of Cedar Rapids bear evidence of his handiwork.  He has purchased several lots in the city and built residences thereon, and in this way has materially promoted its welfare.

On the 1st of May, 1869, in Connecticut, Mr. Lounsbury was united in marriage with Miss H. Eliza Kellogg, a native of that state, where she died February 13, 1881, and to them were born two children: Alice, now a teacher of Connecticut, was educated in Cedar Rapids, and taught school here for a time.  Frank L. is married and holds a responsible position in a mercantile establishment of Cedar Rapids.  Mr. Lounsbury was again married, in New Haven, Connecticut, March 3, 1886, his second union being with Miss Elizabeth A. Root, who was born in Norwalk, that state, and reared and educated in Fairfield county.  They have one daughter, Florence May, now a student in the Cedar Rapids schools.  The Root family is of English descent and among the pioneers of Connecticut, of which state Mrs. Lounsbury’s father, William E. Root, and her grandfather, Miles Root, were both natives.  On reaching manhood the former married Martha A. Saxon, who was born in England, and came to America when a young lady of eighteen years.  By trade he was a mechanic and was engaged in manufacturing business in Connecticut for many years, but spent his last days with his daughter, Mrs. Lounsbury, in Cedar Rapids, where he died May 10, 1896.

Since casting his first presidential ballot for Abraham Lincoln in 1860, Mr. Lounsbury has been a stanch supporter of the Republican party on national issues, but at local elections votes independent of party lines, supporting the men whom he believes best qualified to fill the offices.  He has never cared for political honors, but has always taken a deep and commendable interest in public affairs, as every true American citizen should.  He and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and she is a very active worker in the same, being a member of the Foreign Missionary Society, and a teacher in the Sunday-school for many years.  Almost forty years ago Mr. Lounsbury joined the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in Connecticut, but has never transferred his membership to the lodge at Cedar Rapids.  Upright and reliable in all things, he commands the respect and confidence of all with whom he has been brought in contact either in business or social life, and well merits the high regard of his fellow citizens.

Source: The Biographical Record of Linn County Iowa, Illustrated, Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1901, pages 155-6.

Submitted by: Carrie J. Robertson of Marion




BARNETT LUTZ

Years of quiet usefulness and a life in which the old-fashioned virtues of sincerity, industry and integrity are exemplified have a simple beauty that no words can portray. youth has its charms, but an honorable and honored old age, to which the lengthening years have added dignity and sweetness, has a brighter radiance, as if some ray from the life beyond already rested upon it. Among the old and prominent citizens of Linn county is Barnett Lutz, of Kenwood Park, who has been a resident of the county since 1839, and has been an important factor in advancing its moral, social and material welfare.

Mr. Lutz was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, September 12, 1816, a son of Martin and Catherine (Cline) Lutz, who were born, reared and married in the eastern part of that state and were of German descent. A few years after their marriage they crossed the Alleghany mountains and made a permanent home in Fayette county. The father was a carpenter by trade and followed that occupation to some extent, but the greater part of his life was devoted to agricultural pursuits. Being energetic and industrious he prospered in business, and became a well-to-do man. In early life both he and the mother of our subject were earnest and faithful members of the Lutheran church, but after the latter's death he united with the Presbyterian church, and died in that faith in march, 1855, at the age of eighty-five years. His first wife died in 1832, at the age of fifty years, and he subsequently married Mrs. Christina (Kramer) Scott, who was also a native of Pennsylvania, and died at the age of eighty-four years. By her first marriage she had five children, of whom Oliver Scott, Mrs. Martha Fields and Mrs. Margaret Core are still living.

The subject of this sketch is the third in order of birth in a family of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters, the others being as follows: David, a prominent farmer of Knox county, Illinois, died there at the age of eighty-seven years, leaving a large family; Catharine married Hugh McKee, of Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he died in January, 1886, and she died in Michigan in 1900., at the advanced age of ninety-three years; George, deceased, was a farmer and carpenter of Fayette county, Pennsylvania; Susan, deceased, was the wife of Christian Best, of Ohio; Sarah married John Patterson and both are now deceased; Henry, Adam and William are all deceased; Barbara died when a young woman; and Martin, a stone mason of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, died at the age of eighty-two years.

During his boyhood and youth Barnett Lutz assisted his father on the home farm and attended the common schools of the neighborhood. On the 1st of March, 1835, he was united in marriage with Miss Anna M. Kramer, a daughter of Andrew and Rachel (Knotts) Kramer, who were natives of Fayette and Greene counties, Pennsylvania, respectively, and of German ancestry. In early life the father followed the occupation of a glass blower and later engaged in farming. His last years, however, were spent in retirement from active labor, and he died in 1872, at the age of eighty-two years. Mrs. Kramer died when young, leaving four sons and three daughters. The wife of our subject was reared on her father's farm and educated in the schools of her native country.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Lutz were born eleven children, namely: (1) Rachel married Henry Ross, who was killed in the battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, during the Civil war, and for her second husband wedded Alonzo Smith. She is now deceased. (2) Andrew died at the age of one year and nine days. (3) Christina is the wife of Henry G. Strong, a retired farmer of Kenwood Park, and now a member of the village council. They have four children, Charles, Alice, Caroline and George. (4) Caroline E., is the wife of John J. Wayt, an optician of Kenwood Park, and they have five children, William, Mary, Nora, Clara and Anna. (5) Sarah J. is the wife of Charles Cooper, a retired farmer of Woodbury county, Iowa, and they have six children, Frank, William, Anna, Calvin, Maude and Stanwell, all born in Linn county. (6) Mary is the wife of John H. Smith, who is a marble cutter by trade, but is now engaged in mercantile business in Belle Plaine, Iowa, and they have four children, Frederick, Terry, Ada, and Emma. (7) Joseph, deceased, was a Free Methodist minister of Essex, Iowa, and had four children, Claude, Bessie, Earl and Leah. (8) John, a marble cutter of Blair, Nebraska, married Georgia Miller, who died leaving two children, Daisy and Howard, and he again married, and by his second wife had three children, Georgia, Frank and Margaret. (9) George W., a marble cutter of Kenwood Park, married Mayme Gammon, and has four children, Alta, Zoe, Rachel and Benjamin. (10) William Henry died at the age of one year and nine months. (11) Josephine died at the age of seven months.

In 1839 Mr. Lutz came to Linn county, Iowa, and located at Linn Grove in Linn township, where he engaged in farming for about a year, and then removed to Kenwood Park, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of government land at one dollar and a quarter per acre. It was all wild land, which he broke and improved, his first home being a log cabin, in which he lived for three or four years. At the end of that time he built a story and a half frame residence upon his farm, which was later replaced by a more commodious and substantial residence. He also erected good barns and other outbuildings and continued to engage in general farming and stock raising for some years with good success. In 1884 he sold his farm, and has since made his home in Kenwood Park, having erected his present comfortable residence on Maple avenue in 1885. Here, surrounded by all of the comforts and many of the luxuries of life, he is now living retired, enjoying a well-earned rest.

On coming to Linn county, Mr. Lutz found this section of the state almost an unbroken wilderness, the land being still in its primitive condition, while few settlements had been made. He was forced to endure many of the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. The first flour which furnished food for his family was ground in a kettle with an iron wedge, and his first grist was taken to mill at Maquoketa. At that time he drove his hogs to market in Dubuque, and for his mail went overland to the Muscatine post office, where he would pay twenty-five cents for each letter received. He has watched with interest the wonderful changes which have taken place in this county, the wild land has been transformed into rich and productive farms, cities and villages have sprung up as if by magic, and all of the comforts of an advanced civilization have been introduced. In the work of development and progression Mr. Lutz has ever borne his part and assisted in making the county one of the best in the state. While living ion his farm he served as school director in Rapids township for a great many years, and was also supervisor for some years. He was the first mayor elected in Kenwood Park, and so acceptably did he fill that office that he was called upon to serve his fellow citizens in that capacity for the long period of eighteen years. Under his administration many permanent improvements were made, their success being mainly due to his untiring efforts. In politics he is a Republican.

Mr. Lutz has been called upon to mourn the loss of his estimable wife, who was born in Cumberland, Maryland, September 28, 1818, and died in Kenwood Park July 10, 1898, after a protracted illness. She was a devout member of the Free Methodist church, and a constant attendant upon its services. She was also a devot3ed wife and loving mother, and was honored by all for her Christian character and lovely disposition. Her remains were interred in the Marion cemetery. Mr. Lutz has also been a faithful member of the Free Methodist church for many years, has taken an active and prominent part in its work, and served as class leader. His life has been exemplary in all respects, and he has ever supported those interest which are calculated to uplift and benefit humanity, while his own high moral worth is deserving of the highest commendation.

Since the foregoing was written Mr. Lutz passed to his reward, dying on the 13th of April, 1901.

Source: Biographical Record of Linn County, Iowa. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1901. p. 908-910. Contributed by: Terry Carlson




HARRISON B. LUTZ

Harrison B. Lutz, who largely derives his income from farming interests is the owner of a tract of one hundred and sixty-five acres of rich and productive land in Cedar township. His birth occurred in Ohio on the 18th of October, 1861, his parents being Charles S. and Sarah M. (Stickel) Lutz, who were natives of Pennsylvania. The father’s natal year was 1833, while the mother was born in 1835. About 1866 they took up their abode among the early settlers of Linn county, Iowa, settling on a farm in Cedar township which the father rented and operated for a few years. Subsequently he embarked in the mercantile business at Cedar Rapids and successfully conducted his establishment until the time of his death, which occurred in February, 1870. His widow remained a resident of Cedar Rapids for five years longer and then gave her hand in marriage to Jackson G. Hunter, a native of this county, with whom she moved to a farm. Mr. Hunter was actively identified with general agricultural pursuits until called to his final rest. The mother of our subject still resides on the old homestead in this county and is well known and highly esteemed throughout the community.

Harrison B. Lutz remained under the parental roof until he had attained his majority and then started out us an agriculturalist on his own account, cultivating rented land for a year. On the expiration of that period he bought fifty acres of his present home farm in Cedar township and subsequently extended its boundaries by additional purchase until it now embraces one hundred and sixty-five acres. He has brought the land under a high state of cultivation and improvement and annually harvests excellent crops which find a ready sale on the market. He likewise acts as the president of the Sylvia Telephone Company and is widely recognized as a man of excellent executive ability and sound judgment.

On the 24th of February, 1887, Mr. Lutz was united in marriage to Miss Alice Davis, a daughter of George S. and Jane (Reall) Davis who were natives of Maryland and Ohio respectively. The father’s birth occurred on the 22d of November, 1835, while the mother’s natal day was February 7, 1845. Their marriage was celebrated in Ohio but they came to Linn county, Iowa, at an early day. George S. Davis here purchased a farm and was actively engaged in its operation until the time of his retirement. He then resided in Cedar Rapids for a short time but spent the remainder of his life in the home of one of his sons. His demise occurred April 22, 1907, but his widow still survives and lives with her children. Mr. and Mrs. Lutz became the parents of five children, the record of whom is as follows: The first born died in infancy. Maud D. is a graduate of the Cedar Rapids high school and for one year attended Coe College at that place. She has taught school for three years and has also displayed considerable musical talent. Harry B., likewise a high school graduate, is at home. Edith A. and Fred N. Lutz are also still under the parental roof.

In politics Mr. Lutz is a republican and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to several positions of public trust. He has ably served as township clerk for three years and has acted as treasurer of the school board and as a director. Both he and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, exemplifying its teachings in their daily lives. The period of his residence in Linn county covers more than four decades and he is widely and favorably known within its borders, the salient characteristics of his manhood being such as have brought him the warm regard of those with whom he has been associated.

Source: History of Linn County Iowa, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. II, Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, p. 41-2. Contributed by: Terry Carlson





If you would like to contribute contact the
Linn County Coordinator

Home | Bios | Cemeteries | Census | Church | Court | Directories | Family Histories | History | Letters/Journals | Maps | Military | Photos | Resources | Schools | What's New

Copyright