1918 -- Jul

Upper Des Moines – Republican
Algona, Iowa
Wednesday, July 3, 1918

Enlisted in Navy April 6, 1917
Crossed Ocean Six Times.
Is On Medical Survey Owing To Injured Eye.
Enthusiastic Over Red Cross Work.

Ed Moline, an Algona boy, son of John Moline of this city, arrived home Thursday on an extended furlough, due to an injured eye, received from the fumes of a compound used in cleaning boilers, and may never be able to resume service in the Navy, but expects to enter some other service.

Ed enlisted April 6, 1917, the day war was declared, at Minneapolis.  He was sent to Norfolk, where he was in camp about two months, then to Philadelphia where he spent three months in the navy yards.  He has worked upon the U. S. S. Iowa, U. S. S. Von Stuben, formerly a German vessel; U. S. S. Minneapolis and on the U. S. S. Henderson, America’s first transport ship.  In July he was sent to New York and shipped on the Madewaska, formerly the Koenig Wilhelm, he with eight others, being the first American sailors on this vessel, which was also a former German vessel.  This boat was entered at once as a transport and with impressive services, the flag was raised.

During a trial trip of two weeks, during which time the guns were tried out and a thorough inspection made, it was discovered that on the bottom of the vessel, many false rivets existed, which made the vessel unseaworthy.  This was done by Germans and several spics were arrested, one of whom was aboard the vessel with three feet of fuse and two explosive caps.  They are now in some prison. 

The Madawaska carries a crew of 250 men and in transport work carries about 1000 soldiers.  Ed made three round trips to France.  The first trip was made without anything out of the ordinary happening.  On the second trip, two soldiers died and were buried at sea.  The bodies were properly wrapped and covered with the American flag.  Weights were attached and the remains lowered with appropriate services, which were very touching.  On the return trip, five nurses and a number of soldiers were brought back.  One of the nurses, whose husband was a soldier also on the vessel, gave birth to a child, which is said to have been the first baby born on an American man-of-war.  They arrived in New York, Christmas Eve, and it seemed good to get home.

On his third trip home, they were attacked by a submarine.  They saw the torpedo, which passed about 100 feet ahead of the, but he did not see the sub.  Three shots were fired at it but it evidently escaped.  This occurred on a Sunday morning about 7 a.m.

On these trips, the transports go in convoys.  Two torpedo boats on each side of the three transports, with an armed cruiser leading.  When they enter the danger zone, they are met with other torpedo boats, and a vessel that zig zags ahead, sweeping the seas for hidden mines.  On this same trip, one of the navigators apparently lost the course, and later was discovered to be a spy.  Formerly, sea gulls would follow vessels crossing the sea and would live on refuse thrown overboard.  Many of them now starve, as nothing is permitted to be thrown into the sea, not even cigarette paper.  The vessels are loaded with soldiers and depart from the American harbors at night and during the trip no lights are permitted and smoking is not allowed after sundown.

The last trip home brought 150 Americans, suffering with tuberculosis.

France is old fashioned, the buildings being chiefly of stone and brick.  Four days were spent in Paris and among other sights, the tomb of Napoleon was visited.  He saw several German Zeppelins and says the air was full of flying machines, resembling many birds.  The transports, he said, carry depth bombs, arranged to explode by clock work and water depth.  They also encountered some rough seas, but he did not at any time suffer much from sea sickness.  The food is good and plenty of it, and a feast is always in order on holidays.  For three months, he was in naval hospital in New York, having his eye treated, and assisted in the Red Cross campaign.  He collected about $500 for this cause at the winter garden, having a stretcher draped with the colors.  He has also purchased two liberty bonds.

Ed states that America is preparing for a long war, but it does not seem possible that it can last much longer, and would have been over before this, had America not entered.  German prisoners unload the transports and are under guard, but they have an expression that shows they are glad to be prisoners of war.

The eastern cities are full of soldiers and sailors, and New York City was much alarmed over the arrival of the German subs in American waters and for awhile no lights were permitted at night for fear of an aeroplane raid.

Ed was a first class petty officer.  He left here last week for Decorah, where he will visit his sisters, Lillian and Alice.  His father, who is employed at Fenton, will go there for an over-Sunday visit with his children.  The experiences had by this young man are many and some of them cannot be printed at this time.

Volunteers Wanted For Mechanical Schools.
Next Call Last of July. About 400 To Go.

A large crowd was present last Friday and with the Algona band leading, the boys who left for Camp Dodge, were escorted to the depot.  They were the jolliest bunch of good fellows yet to leave, and seemed anxious to get away for training and after the Huns.

The government is anxious to secure more volunteers for the various mechanical schools and men may enlist for this service to leave about July 25th.  Enlistments should be in by Saturday, July 6th, for this work.  Those accepted will probably be sent to Austin, Texas.

It is reported that all class one men will be called this month, July 22nd or on one of the five following days.  This will take in the neighborhood of four hundred men from Kossuth county.

The local board sent out a call for the appearance of all young men in the draft who have been married since May 18, 1917, to appear last Monday.  These were to be reclassified if necessary and the board was busy going over the questionnaires of about 77 of these young men.

Joseph E. Lindbolm of Armstrong, whose name appeared in the list leaving last week, had already enlisted and has been in the service for some time, so was not here to leave with this group.

Henry Larson of Elmore left Monday morning for Chicago, where he enters the Armour Institute as a student of Uncle Sam.

Mark Moore left Monday evening for Fort Riley, Kansas, and also enters a government mechanical school.

Vall Naudain is expected this week on a furlough.  He is in the service and located in the east.

Glen Naudain is still at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station and has made an instructor in physics in the aviation department.

Lt. Harold Cogswell, of Titonka, a former Algona high school boy, visited Algona friends Sunday.  He is an aviator at Kelley Field, Texas.





IAGenWeb 2012

Return to Military Index

Return to Home Page