KEOTA CENTENNIAL HISTORY
                             1873 - 1973

A glimpse into the past...

August 11, 1932. Injury from grasshoppers, army worms, Hessian flies, and chinch bugs has been spotted in various locations in the state. Demonstrations in burning to destroy the bugs will be given in southern Iowa this fall.

July 6, 1933. Farmers in battle with chinch bugs.

May 17, 1934. Chinch bugs are found all over Keokuk Co. The migration into corn fields will start in June. Demonstrations for control will be given. Control consists largely of building oil barriers. The young bugs can't fly and the oil barrier is a good way to control them if properly attended to. Farmers can investigate the degree of infestation by digging around the roots of oats and wheat in the morning or look closely as they crawl on the surface during the heat of the day.

March 21, 1935. Dust storms of last week have been causing illness over a wide area. In Keota numerous cases of sore throat and high fever which doctors attribute to some dust borne infection are reported.

July 1, 1937. Poison bait is being distributed at the mixing station at Sigourney and the poisoning campaign in Keokuk is now under way. Heavy kills are reported by farmers who use the bait which is furnished by federal and state government to kill grasshoppers.

November 25, 1937. The Community Club has completed arrangements for the Corn Banquet in the High School gymnasium November 22. Thirteen of the sixteen entries were over 100 bushel per acre. Arthur Ewing won first place and a $25 check in the 1937 Corn Yield Contest, his yield being 127.53 bushel per acre. One hundred seventy-three persons attended the banquet.

October 20, 1938. The Keota Community Club had no idea of the importance of its undertaking when it sponsored the first ten-acre corn yield contest for this community three years ago. From a modest beginning, the plan in the second year was successful in bringing the 1937 yield for the state to 127.53 bushels per acre by Warren Ewing and some local names in 100-bushel corn club: The local yield this year is 135.18, highest in state so far, and there are 43 farmers in this community who have 100-bushel corn, besides 16 others not eligible for contest. Individual credit belongs to C. D. Kirkpatrick who has been a pioneer in development of improved seed varieties.

November 24, 1938. Iowa is going strong for mechanical corn pickers. More than 4,000 were sold and nearly 6,000 were in use in Iowa last husking season.

Each year the Iowa Crop Improvement Association sponsors a corn and soybean yield contest. The Keota Community Club and the Keota F.F.A. Chapter have handled local entries, official measurements and harvest. There have been many winners from this area in both the corn and soybean contests.

The most outstanding of these contests was the yield contest of 1938 when 44 farmers of this community raised 100 or more bushels of corn per acre on plots of 10 or more acres. Mr. John H. Greiner was the champion of this group of 44 champions, whose yield of 135.18 bushels per acre was the highest official yield in the world for 1938. Harold S. Palmer was winner of second place who accomplished the phenomenal crop of 120 bushel per acre average from 166 acres and Marion Stoutner was winner of third place. It was at a banquet honoring the above winners that Mr. Ray Murray of Des Moines, former State Secretary of Agriculture, paid tribute to the fame of Keota as the former hub of the horse importing and breeding industry in this country, and now, Mr. Murray continued, the holder of the world's record in corn yields and suggested that Keota should adopt the motto "The Golden Buckle on the Corn Belt."

February 16, 1939. John H. Greiner was crowned Iowa Corn King and received the 1938 Corn King trophy presented by the Register and Tribune for highest Iowa yield of 135.18 bushels per acre on 10 acres or more under the rules of the Iowa Corn and Small Grain Growers Association. He also won the title of Corn King of the World in 1938. Mr. and Mrs. Greiner were guests of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company in New York City on August 7-8, 1939, at the New York World's Fair. Keota got into the National Geographic Magazine for the month of August 1939. The famous magazine's feature article this month is entitled "Iowa, Abiding Place of Plenty." The full page map also honors Keota by showing our town's location. The special reference to Keota is due to the world's corn yield for 1938 by J. H. Greiner.

July 27, 1939. Keota made the National Geographic Magazine for August in an article, " Iowa , Abiding Place of Plenty," with illustrations and map, by Leo A. Borah. Map honors Keota by showing location on map, as well as other cities—What Cheer shown for its potteries.

The reference to Keota is due to the world's record corn yield for 1938 by J. H. Greiner. The article is as follows:

No attempt is made to perpetuate this hybrid corn, beyond the first season; a fresh supply is grown each year by commercial seed companies using methods developed on State College experimental farms. Its merits are that it is blight and drought resistant and that it greatly increases acre production. Yields of 90 bushels to an acre are not unusual; and J. H. Greiner of Keota won The Des Moines Register and Tribune cup in 1938 by growing an average of 135.8 bushels to acre on a 10-acre tract.

October 12, 1939. The Keota community chalks up another corn growing record for the farmers. This year's high mark of 157.61 bushels to acre was set by Harold S. (Pete) Palmer. More than 100 farmers in six townships made records of 100 bushels or more to the acre. Tickets are sold for 560 persons for the banquet November 7. The Keota Community Club has done an outstanding job of putting this town on the map as a corn growing center.

November 9, 1939. The annual Corn Contest banquet of the Keota Community Club in honor of local farmers growing 100 bushels or more per acre was given at the Keota school gymnasium. 108 farmers were honored with ribbons or other prizes. 553 persons were served in exactly 55 minutes.

 

151


UP Church ad

Wesly United Methodist Church ad

 

152


A glimpse into the past...

Farm Operations down on the farm long long ago.

Farm Operations 1 Farm Operation 5
Farm Operations 2
1913
Farm Operations 6
Threshing in the old days.
Farm Operations 3 Farm Operations 8
Farm Operations 4 Farm Operations 9
Irene Coffman, Tressis Coffman and George, the horse.
Farm Operations 5 Farm Operations 10
September 23, 1916. Tractor "burns kerosene, gasoline or motor spirits". James Ralston, agent.

 

153


A glimpse into the past...

Hybrid seed companies were represented as well as other notable people; also Mr. Casmer, representing radio station WMT, Cedar Rapids and Waterloo.

February 15, 1940. Gold Medals were awarded at Ames Monday to 141 growers of 100 bushels or more of corn in 1939 as certified by Keota Community Club. All but 25 of these 141 are from Keota community.

October 17, 1940. Here's a piece of history we'd like to forget. One of our friends sends us a card mailed by Grain Bulletin at Minneapolis on Dec. 27, 1932, to Powers Elevator Co. at Walum, N.D. Shell Corn Yellow—No. 2—4¢, No. 3—3¢, No. 4—2¢, No. 5—0¢, Earn corn 2¢ less. Cheap 1931 corn pushed hogs down to as low as $2.40 on Iowa farms. Nobody knows what cheap 1932 corn would have done to 1933 hog prices if no federal action had been taken. — Iowa Homestead.

December 12, 1940. Corn is being sealed at the rate of 61¢ a bushel.

September 4, 1941. Keota Community has 3-year record for tallest corn. In 1939 Don Radda of 11 miles east of Keota had the tallest stalk—23 feet 10 5/8 inches. The stalk didn't have a mature ear; so, it was disqualified. W. P. Greiner won third prize. In 1940 Don Radda won sweepstakes with a stalk 19 feet 8 3/4 inches. In 1941 Lawrence Flander won with a stalk 23 feet 2 1/2 inches. He was awarded WHO Iowa State Fair Tall Corn Sweepstakes. He won $100 in cash, Col. B. J. Palmer gold trophy, and an Oliver plowmaster plow valued at $116.85.

February 15, 1945. Doyle Palmer, 40, is the new soybean king for Iowa. Doyle's record was 37.59 bushel per acre in official five-acre contest. The contest is sponsored locally by Keota High School FFA and agricultural department.

In 1961 Mr. M. E. Dillon was winner of the State Contour Contest, third year in a row. The yield was 157.1 bushels.

The Keota area churches have contributed 395 bushels of com and $280.00 to the Keokuk County Corn Drive for 1961. This CROP contribution was the largest for any equal sized territory in the county.

In 1968 the "swamp-buggy" type vehicle was introduced into the Keota community. The new piece of equipment was used for the purpose of spraying liquid fertilizer and herbicides. It rides on top of wet and spongy ground without sinking in. The three airplane-type tires cost $1,000.00 each.

It has been noted that the finest corn land in Keokuk and Washington counties brought only 30¢ an acre 136 years ago when Uncle Sam bought it from the Indians, compared with $800 to over $1,000 per acre which land has been bringing in the 1972-1973 period, in the same area.

REMEMBER 1936?

Here are some temperatures which were experienced in 1936 around Keota:

July, 1936

4 - 107

5 - 110

6 - 104

7 - 105

8 - 105

11 - 111

12 - 111 (Hot wind)

13 - 111

14 - 112

15 - 110

16 - over 100

17 - over 100

22 - 100

25 - 105

26 - 110

 

August, 1936

9 - 104

12 - 103

14 - 108

15 - 100

18 - 110 (Hot wind)

24 - 104

**********

February 15, 1917. This is the day of the Singmaster sale of horses and perhaps the town has never seen as large a crowd of strangers in its history as are here today. Both hotels are full and private rooms have been secured. The ladies of St. Mary's served dinner in the Singmaster building on West Broadway.

Forty-nine Percherons were sold for $32,000 and were shipped out next day. As one viewed the crowd it was easy to realize that it has been the Singmasters and their fame as importers that has put Keota on the map and made it known in almost every corner of this and other nations.

**********

February 18, 1898. The old Black Hawk Mill on the Skunk River below Harper is being torn down. It was one of the land marks of this section of country but we suppose its day of usefulness has passed and it needs must go the inevitable way of all things on earth.

*********

May 23, 1968. Ruby Helscher found a note in her family bible stating that on May 23, 1882, it snowed two inches in Keota. It was signed by J. L. Ramsey, former mayor of Keota. He was Ruby's grandfather.

November 11, 1971. W. C. Gretter and Sons of Harper are dumping excess corn on the ground. They have about 72,000 bushel on the street. It's a lot of corn and worth a trip to see it.

 

154


St. Mary's Church

 

155


A glimpse into the past...

A HUNDRED YEARS OF EDUCATION

District Number Seven was organized as the "Independent School District of East Lafayette Township" in March, 1873, by a vote of Lafayette Township. (This school was located at the intersection near the Alva Bohrofen home.) On March 10, 1873, a meeting of the electors of the district was held in the schoolhouse for the purpose of electing officers according to law. William McLoud was Chairman and H. P. Newton secretary of the meeting. The officers elected were: R. T. Carris, President of the Board of Directors; H. P. Newton, Secretary; H. N. Newton, Treasurer; William Mcloud, Isaac Schreckengast and Howard Case, Directors. The following electors were present: Howard Case, Perry Fulton, Henry Fulton, H. N. Newton, William Mcloud, J. J. Forbes, H. P. Newton, T. F. Jones, R. T. Carris. The name, Independent District of East Lafayette, was established by vote.

The following July 17, 1873, a special meeting of this Board was held at the school house with these members present: President R. T. Carris, H. P. Newton, H. Case and I. Schreckengast. A petition was presented to the Board asking that the new town of Keota (laid out in 1872) be set off as an independent school district with boundaries as follows: Commencing at the S.E. Corner of section 24, Township 76, range 10 west, running thence north one-half mile, thence west one mile, thence south one mile, thence east one mile thence north to place of beginning. The petition was signed by 19 residents of Keota.

On motion it was agreed to grant this request excepting as to territory which was reduced with boundaries as follows: Commencing at the S.E. corner, Section 24, running thence south one-half mile, thence west one mile, thence south one-half mile, thence west one mile, thence east one mile thence north to place of beginning. It was moved and carried that an election should be held of the voters of said territory "to determine whether they will be set off or not," said election to be held at the store room of J. S. Kulp on the 27th day of July, 1873, polls to be open from nine a.m. to 12 m. [sic]

A special meeting of the Board of the Independent District of East Lafayette was held at the hardware store of J. S. Kulp in Keota on the 18th day of July, 1873, with these members present: William Mcloud, I. Schreckengast and H. Case. The President being absent H. Case was elected as President Pro-tem. The meeting was called to consider the action of the Board in regard to the boundaries of proposed Independent District of Keota. On motion of I. Schreckengast the following boundaries were established: Commencing at the S.E. corner of Section 24, Township 76, Range 10, west, running thence north 1/4 mile, then west one mile, thence south 1/2 mile, then east one half mile, thence north to place of beginning. On motion the date of the election was changed to July 31.

On September 23, 1873, a special meeting of the Directors of the Independent District of East Lafayette and the board of the newly established Independent District of the Town of Keota, Iowa, was held in the store of J. S. Kulp. Those present were: President, R. T. Carris; Secretary, H. P. Newton; Directors McLoud, Schreckengast and Case for East Lafayette; President R. S. Brice; Secretary, J. F. Graham; Directors J. S. Rice, J. S. Kulp and J. F. Wilson for the Independent District of Keota. The meeting was called for a purpose of a settlement between the said districts. After considerable discussion it was agreed that the Independent District of East Lafayette retain all the assets and assume all liabilities of the Independent District of East Lafayette. It was ordered by the Board of East Lafayette that the secretary inform the County Auditor that the levy was to be cut in half, making $250.00 as teachers fund and $75 for contingent fund. The meeting adjourned and the "Independent District of Keota" was established and on its own. The J. S. Kulp hardware store was located on the corner of Broadway and Fulton Streets at the location where later a Bank building was erected and now (1973) the offices of Dr. Don.

KEOTA'S FIRST SCHOOL

The first school taught in Keota was a private one and was taught by Mrs. M. E. Smock in what was then known as Smock's Hall. The first public school was taught by A. E. Spalding and its sessions were held in what was then the lumber office of H. Henkle.

In 1874 bonds were is sued to the amount of $2,200 and the two north rooms of the first school building were erected. In 1876, more school facilities being demanded, $1,800 school bonds were issued and the wing to the south containing two rooms was built. The school then consisted of four rooms and four teachers. During 1888 additional bonds were is sued to build an annex on to the south. The school now consisted of six school rooms and six teachers. The enrollment was 203 pupils. The school board then consisted of J. L. Ramsey, M. A. Crawford, R. S. Brice, A. L. Erdice, H. Henkle and W. R. Charlton. Quoting from The Keota Eagle of May 11, 1888, "We feel proud of our schools, glad the community is composed of people who take a great interest in educational matters, glad that the pupils themselves are anxious and pleased to derive the benefits from a good school." The school grounds comprise five lots 66 x 150 each, which were neatly fenced.

In 1881 Professor Wright succeeded J. W. Blythin as head of the school system and to him and a good school board was credited with an excellent school system which was known far and wide. It was Mr. Wright who was responsible for getting the school graded into a 10-year course and at the end of which time graduated the first class from the Keota Schools in 1882. The exercises were held in the Creamery Hall. Mrs. A. A. Hulse and Mrs. Clara Bower were members of this class and there were probably others.

In May 1883 Commencement exercises of the Keota School were held in the Opera House. There were two graduates: Eva M. Reed and Eben J. Ramsey. The tickets were put on sale on Monday morning at the Post Office. Reserved seats being 20¢. By the time of exercises on Thursday all tickets were taken. Many who came without tickets had to go away without gaining admission.

A "Teacher's Association" of this township was formed in February 1885 and held their first meeting in Harper. "A big crowd was present and Keota was well represented. Butler Schrecken gast and A. L. Eckley discussed the subject of compulsory education in the United States."

 

156


A glimpse into the past...

February 17, 1888. The High School pupils have organized a reading circle. They are devoting their attention to English class literature. This is a move in the right direction.

March 30, 1888. While our school tax is the heaviest we are called on to pay, it is an interest near our hearts. We wish our children to have a good education. This means under our graded system — 12 school years of eight months each and if children attend regularly they should by 17 years be well fitted for "life's earnest battle."

January 9, 1891. The Keota High School Alumni Association is the name of the organization formed by ex-graduates at a meeting held January 2. Officers as follows: E. J. Ramsey, President; Nora Gwin, Secretary; J. L. Papes, E. A. Kreger, Historians. Intention of the society is to have two meetings each year—one during the holidays and another the night before each Commencement.

January 10, 1896. Principal McKee canvassed the school rooms and found material or books used much behind the times—as—Reader, 18 years; Arithmetic, 20 years, being copyrighted 1876; Grammars, 28 years; Spellers in 2nd and 3rd and 4th rooms, 17 years. High School Spellers, 13 years. This is serious and one which parents should give due consideration. December 20, 1900. A recent act of the United States Senate Committee, who made an investigation of the Public Schools, brought a change in the present order of things and a basis of common sense was established concerning "home study." "Children 12 years and under are forbidden to study at home." "Medical science has determined that undue mental strain retards proper physical development of the growing child."

October 17, 1901. Lovers of the game of football met and affected an organization and will be prepared hereafter to meet all comers in a gridiron way. F. Stewart is Captain-Manager and W. C. Farmer is Coach. The first contest will be at Keota Park, Saturday, October 26.

February 3, 1903. The launching of the "Keokuk County Athletic Association" was accomplished by half a dozen school principals of the county at What Cheer. The object of the organization is to create a clean and wholesome spirit for athletics and a friendly rivalry among the schools of the county.

April 2, 1903. The first basketball game of the season was played at the park Monday evening.

May 7, 1903. Keota sent a splendid delegation to the first annual field meet of the Keokuk County High School Athletic Association at What Cheer. The day was cold and dark, but nothing short of a waterspout can dampen the enthusiasm of a Keota crowd when it gets its blood up. Keota had by far the strongest all-around team leaving its rival Keswick far in the rear. There were 15 events and Keota won 50 points. Five schools were entered: Keota, Keswick, Thornburg, Delta and What Cheer. Some of Keota stars were: Roy Shotts, Eugene Smith, Ray Stewart and Vernon Carris.

May 21, 1903. At the field meet of the Keota Athletic Association held at the park, additional Keota stars are: Bert McDowell, Howard Stewart, Clarence Pool, Harry Helscher and Roy Neal.

December 17, 1903. The School Board held a meeting and appointed Marshall J. W. Richardson as "truant officer." It came to the Board's ears that a number of children in Keota are not attending school. Law says that all children up to 14 years must attend school.

It was during the Christmas vacation Monday afternoon, December 30, 1907, that it was noticed that smoke was issuing from the upper windows of the school house. The fire department was quick to respond but in an hour's time the chimney was all that was left.

Classes were held in various places about town: the town hall, the high room in the Post Office, Miss Kites' room in the rear of the Post Office, band room and the Stoutner building. The School Board immediately took steps to draw plans and specifications for a new school.

The new Keota School building opened for use Monday, January 18, 1909.

HISTORY OF ACHIEVEMENT

Old building burned December 30, 1907. The Board arranged for classes to be held in different rooms around town and then gave attention to a new building. O. H. Carpenter was selected as architect—contract let May 13, 1908, to Concrete Engineering Company of Davenport and heating and plumbing to Wilson Heating Company of Washington, Iowa. The outside walls are of brick and stone backed with hollow hard burned blocks. The floor is re-inforced concrete with hollow block fillers. Stairs are re-inforced concrete with iron railings. Direct and indirect systems of heat are used. The first floor has the superintendent's office and five class rooms. The second floor is divided into two class rooms, three recitation rooms and assembly room (which will seat 130 pupils and in case of a small entertainment - will seat 300 people) with 14 foot ceiling. Main dimensions are 67 x 89 feet. The Howard tower clock was donated by citizens of Keota.

During the day dinner lunches, candy, popcorn, etc., was sold in the basement by high school pupils to aid the piano fund.

The Board of Education should be complimented for its faithful and efficient work.

We must not forget our former Boards either, for the men who erected the first school building in town may have had more to overcome than the present Board.

PROGRAM FOR SCHOOL DEDICATION

January 14, 1909. The students of the Keota Public School will assemble in their respective rooms in the new building at nine o'clock the morning of January 18. The seats will be assigned, lessons and etc., and teachers will read the rules and regulations prescribed by the Board. From one o'clock to five o'clock the people are cordially invited as guests and will be met by members of the Board and the teachers, assisted by the ushers. The exercises are to begin at two o'clock in the high school assembly room. The following program will be given:

 

157


A glimpse into the past...

Music — Keota High School Orchestra

Invocation — Rev. J. F. Robertson

Music — Male Quartet - F. G. Henness, A. Clendenning, Sid McDonald, W. R Hill

Story of Achievement — President of Board

Address — Dr. E. A. Schell who is President of Iowa Wesleyan

A Word from County Superintendent — H. S. McVicker

Greetings from Superintendent — Cap E. Miller

Music — Male Quartet

The "Common Schools" — S. S. Wright

The Keota School Corporation in "History and Reminiscence"

Dr. R S. Brice — First President

J. Fletcher Graham — First Secretary

F. M. Smock — First Treasurer

John Randolph — Former Director

Music — High School Orchestra

Benediction — Rev. A. L. Graham

THE TOWER CLOCK

A tower clock for the new school was decided upon. The district put up the tower which cost $375 and Mr. C. F. Singrnaster's committee agreed to install a clock with its steel bell. The tower was 12 feet square and about 26 feet above the roof. The clock had four six-foot dials, six feet in diameter and a pendulum nine feet long with bell that was to be heard all over town.

May 18, 1911. On recommendation of the State Inspector of schools we were placed on the accredited list.

January 23, 1912. The W.R.C. ladies served a three-course banquet to teachers of the high room and most of the high school pupils Saturday night along with several alumni and Rev. Dorreen, coach of the 1912 football teams. Various toasts were given and after Professor Neveln's toast, he awarded each member of the 1912 football team a letter "K" of felt. These letters for which they were greatly indebted to Harold Page represent an honorable football career in the year of 1912.

May 29, 1913. The school board voted to introduce Manual Training into our schools. According to law we would have to do it by 1915 anyway.

December 31, 1914. The school board has purchased fine domestic science equipment. It consists of six fine tables, each table to have two burners, so that 12 students can be accommodated at once. There is a machine which supplies the gas heat. It is expensive—$307.80 installed. A room in the school house must be gotten in readiness.

March 5, 1914. The high school girls met Tuesday after school and organized the Girls Athletic Association. Officers are: President, Eva Page; Vice President, Isabelle Walker, Secretary and Treasurer, Lila Kracaw.

The boys also met and elected officers: Leland Page, Captain-Track Team; Evard Bower, Captain-Ball Team.

1921. The high school has rented the hall above the Post Office (1973, the Laundromat) in which to play basketball.

October 5, 1922. The Keota Public School has a new outdoor drinking fountain at the west entrance. The fountain was paid for out of the proceeds of the 1920 and 1921 class plays and is inscribed in honor of those two classes. It is a practical and fitting memorial to those two classes.

October 18, 1923. Did you know your school has an enrollment of 274 pupils? It has 12 teachers with an average of 23 to a teacher. It has the largest Freshman class that we have records of going back to the time the school house burned.

December 2, 1926. Keota has the Champion Football team of Keokuk County. The 1926 team is the best Keota has had to date. Mr. Landess is their coach.

May 19, 1927. Keota High School has won two of the county's three athletic events. Last fall they won the county football championship and last Saturday won the county track and field meet.

October 6, 1927. The new gymnasium-auditorium of Keota High School was completed several weeks ago and was dedicated October 5 by Governor John Hamill. The building was authorized by the voters of the School District of Keota in the spring of 1926. It was built by W. L. Schragg of St. Joseph, Missouri. Architects were Dougher, Rich and Woodburn of Des Moines. The total cost was $75,000. The upper story encloses the high school assembly room, library, physics laboratory and several class rooms. The first story and basement form the high-ceiling gymnasium and auditorium. At the east end there is a huge stage complete to the last detail and four dressing rooms. The main floor is equipped for use as a basketball floor and gymnasium and will seat 700 persons. Movable seats are loaded on trucks and stored under the state. The balcony runs around three sides and has opera-type seats which will seat 205 people. At the rear are several smaller rooms, including a fire-proof projection room. Entrance to the building is from the west. The brick used in the new building is almost a perfect match to the old building. The dedication exercises were in charge of the Alumni Association. The bronze tablet, to which 200 Alumni contributed $1 each, has been placed in the auditorium by L. B. Lupton of Washington and will be unveiled at the dedication.

April 9, 1931. Kindergarten will be started Monday, April 13, for all children living in or near Keota, who will reach their fifth birthday in September of this year. Miss Eula Moore will be the teacher. The morning sessions will begin at 11 o'clock and will run until noon each day. Ten children enjoyed the first kindergarten.

November 12, 1931. Keota High will issue its first Annual. Editor-in-chief, Olga Valenta; Assistant Editors, Robert McNurien and Helen Kirkpatrick; Business Manager, Victor Hess.

November 17, 1938. The Student Council originated in 1927 with the first meeting on November 20. Mr. Moser put forth the purpose of organization and a constitution was drawn up. Purpose is to afford a better means of co-operation between teachers and students of Keota High School. All problems and actions arising before the student body are discussed and determined by the Council.

 

158


A glimpse into the past...

The President must be a senior, the Vice-President a junior and a Secretary-Treasurer who is a senior. The Legislative Body consists of one other junior, two sophomores and two freshmen--the latter to be chosen by their classes. The advisory is the Superintendent; executive officers are elected by the student body.

December 15, 1938. Nearly a thousand attended the KeWash Jamboree—all six conference teams were represented. There was an 85-piece massed band and a basketball game between the teams which were grouped to represent the North and South divisions of the conference.

August 7, 1941. The new vocational home-making department in Keota High School will consist of three rooms on the second floor, three kitchen units in one room, a living and dining room and a sewing and study room. The kitchen has been furnished with stoves, refrigerator, sinks, serving centers, built-in cupboards and work areas. Maple furniture has been purchased for other rooms and the walls repainted. Selection of drapes, linens and china will be selected by girls in the classes this fall. The new homemaking course is to be taught by Miss Virginia Herrick.

October 1, 1942. The Keota Community's first annual FFA Community Fair, sponsored by the Community Club and FFA students of the Agriculture Department of Keota High School, will be held October 9 at the Gilbert addition, west of the city park. There will be exhibits of livestock and judging, a basket lunch at noon, band concerts, various races, milking contests during the day. In the evening awards will be given to Fair winners—husband calling, rolling pin throwing, songs by Home Town Quartet, and an auction to sell War Bonds. Farmers are asked to donate chickens, ducks, or whatever they wish. Bingo and other concessions will be on hand. Prizes will be War Bonds and stamps. Finally there will be an old time pavement dance. Each store will have antiques or hobby displays.

April 25, 1946. The question of whether the Keota Independent School District would establish bus routes to serve rural districts of the community has been decided. Two new buses, each with a capacity of 36 and 42 pupils have been ordered through local dealers and an Indiana builder of school bus bodies. Five rural districts in four townships will send pupils to Keota School makes it necessary to buy buses. The school has rented the Mound garage in the business district for the two school buses when they are not in [sic]

KEOTA KLIPPER

February 19, 1920. Number One — Volume One of the Keota Klipper, a newspaper issued by the Senior Class of the Keota High School, made its appearance Monday, February 16, and has made quite a hit. It is four pages — three columns in width by ten inches in length, and carries about 50 inches of local advertising — sold at 30 cents an inch. Subscription rates are five cents a copy or 75 cents until first of June. Harold Russell is business manager. The rest of the staff consists of Eva Blattner, Mary Gregory, Gertrude Hagist, John Ralston, Will Fitzgerald and Harry Brock.

September 23, 1920. The first Klipper of the new year appeared Monday noon at the High School. It is $1.00 a year and single copies 10 cents. Raymond Thompson is editor and Gilbert Adams manager. Twenty-two Keota firms are supporting the paper with their ads.

November 2, 1922. The Klipper, High School paper, starts its fourth year. Editors this year are Thelma Kirkpatrick and Marjorie McCrabb. Keith Dayton is business manager and reporters are Dwight Mound, Clarence Russell and Ruth Ranous.

January 20, 1938. The Keota Klipper has been published for about 18 years. It is one of the very few printed school papers in southeastern Iowa and has maintained the reputation of a good school paper. The depression of the early 30's left a financial deficit and caused the printed Klipper to become mimeographed. In this form the paper was a financial success, but it didn't seem to satisfy those who were acquainted with the earlier paper. Sentiment of the students and business men was found to favor the renewal of the printed Klipper, and it was renewed in 1936.

It seems that the Klipper is now faced with the problem of either increasing the circulation or raising the price of ads in order to make it financially sound. The price increase in ads and subscriptions is questionable, consequently, new moves to stabilize the paper are under consideration.

The most drastic change would be to cease the printing of an individual Klipper. In its stead would be a page, or portion of a page, in The Keota Eagle. This would remove all necessity of selling ads and student subscriptions.

Klipper Masthead

1880 Course of Studies

 

159


A glimpse into the past...

High School Commencement Program
First Commencement Exercises Program of Keota High School, 1883.

 

FUTURE FARMERS OF AMERICA

The Future Farmers of America was organized in November of 1928. The organization is built around leadership, character development, sportsmanship, cooperation, service, thrift, scholarship, improved agriculture, organized recreation, citizenship, and patriotism. The organization is dependent upon cooperative spirit and a desire on the part of students, 14 to 21 years of age, preparing for a career in agriculture, through vocational agriculture. National headquarters for the FFA is located in Washington, D. C., in the Division of Vocational and Technical Education.

The Keota Chapter of Future Farmers of America was started on February 1, 1943. The new chapter was chartered with 20 members including: Roger Romine, President; Mark Helscher, Treas., Eugene Reed, Vice Pres.; Leo Ollinger, Sec.; Harold Fink, Reporter; Kenneth Pepper, Merle Miller, Eugene Vogel, Roger Pepper, Robert Dill, Bill Hamilton, Keith Wehr, Richard Winegarden, Russell Greiner, Charles White, Lyle Palmer, Gerald Fosdick, Ted Watts, Cletus Reed, Lavern Weaver, David Wright, Donald Hahn, Walter Ferguson, Harry Baumert, Bob Stewart, Dennie Hammen, Dean Trier, Leonard Buch, Keith Buch, David Fladung, Robert Sieren, Jim Henderson, Raymond Myers, Lloyd Peiffer.

The chapter is built around a program of activities which include community service, and a supervised farming contest. Keota's FFA chapter involves students in farming and other agriculture-related business. Involving students includes renting land where members perform the duties of actual farming and cooperating with business to help students acquire the duties and job training of a agriculture related business.

One of their projects is renting ten acres of ground which is used for the production of a corn crop. The actual use of different practices used in farming are experimented with and used to their greatest efficiency. Actual farming gives the members of the FFA practical experience in planting, plowing, and harvesting the crop. All decisions are made by the FFA with the advice of the adviser. Funk's G 304 Bushel Challenge is a contest sponsored by Funk's G to promote high yields in corn by FFA Chapters. The Chapter must plan accordingly in applying fertilizer and planting corn population to produce the highest yields possible. They try to meet the challenge of producing a record-breaking yield.

Each year in the fall they sell fruit to the community to have for the Christmas season. This has been an annual project since 1968. The money earned from the fruit sales is used to sponsor the Parents and Sons Banquet and other FFA activities. The banquet is an annual event held in February or March. It is held to honor all parents, outstanding FFA members, and individuals who have done a great deal for the betterment of the FFA Chapter. Some of the awards are Honorary Chapter Farmer, Star Chapter Farmer, Star

 

160


Previous Pages Table of Contents Next Pages

Source material provided by Rebecca Callahan. Thank you, Becky!

Page design © Copyright 2015, Keokuk County, IAGenWeb.
For personal use only.

Keota Cenntinial Book © Copyright 1973
Keota Centennial Committee

This book is provided for reference purposes only. Used here with permission obtained from the Keota, Iowa, City Council.

Permission for published reproduction of this book either electronically or in print, in whole or part,
must be obtained from the Keota, Iowa, USA, City Council.

http://www.keotaiowa.org/gov/

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb solely for the  use and benefit of the  IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & Other Contributors        
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  --all of which apply to Keokuk Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Keokuk Co. IAGenWeb                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from penny postcards of Keokuk County, donated to the USGenWeb Archives