Various Businesses
“Around The Square—

A newspaper should be a complete index to the business of the place in which it is published. By reference to its advertising columns the stranger, as well as the citizen of the town, should be able to find the name and place of business of every respectable business man in the vicinity. With a copy of the News in our pocket as a chart for our guidance, we started, a few days since, on a voyage around the square, the object being to make observations, and note the imperfections of our “chart”.

Our first call was made at the dry goods store of

RANDALL & BLAIR—

They have quite a large room, well filled with just such goods as are likely to be called for by the people. By reference to their advertisement, which occupies a respectable space in our advertising columns, the public may learn of the attractions offered at the establishment and profit thereby.

Next we find ourself in the neat little

JEWELRY STORE OF D. W. SHEAN

His advertisements are scattered promiscuously over the columns of the News, suggestive of the fact that his goods are destined to be scattered much after the same fashion amongst the people of this county.

Prosecuting our voyage further southward we are next confronted by the sign of

M. PFAFF

dealer in furniture, etc. A tremendous sacrifices of paint and oil, brushed out into modern hieroglyphics, proclaims his name, and business, to all who come within reading distance, but the columns of the News, which are perused each week by the inhabitants of every portion of this county, are silent as Mr. Pfaff’s ready made coffins with reference to the bargains to be had at his furniture store.

Crossing the street eastward, we next visit the old and popular Stove and Tin-ware establishment of

W. & T. JOHNSON

The enterprising firm advertises largely and is doing a large business in this county. Their buildings are entirely too small for the large stocks of stoves and tin-ware which they always keep on hands, consequently they have now placed under contract, for erection early in the spring, a large three story brivk business house, and hope before long to be more comfortably situated.

U.S. BAKERY

Our forth call was at the U. S. Bakery, a neat and very attractive saloon just opened by George Daut, for the purpose of service the public with hot coffee, oysters, and all other eatables, that hungry mortals can wish for. Such an establishment has long been needed in Sigourney and we welcome Mr. Daut to our community as a public benefactor. Don’t fail to read his advertisement.

Not having started for the purpose of getting “high” we avoid going up into the

MILLINERY ESTABLISHMENT

of Misses Maggie Mathes and Celina Smith, the location which we find nested on our “chart” as being in the “upper store of the frame building, south side of the square.”

            "Call fifth was at the cozy little…"[rest cut off] (Sigourney News Review, 12 December 1866)

 

Submitted by Kay McConkey, and transcribed by Carly Josephson. Thank you, Ladies!

Reference: Sigourney News Review, December 12, 1866

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb solely for the  use and benefit of the  IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & Other Contributors        
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  --all of which apply to Keokuk Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Keokuk Co. IAGenWeb                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from penny postcards of Keokuk County, donated to the USGenWeb Archives