The History of Keokuk County, Iowa
DES MOINES: UNION HISTORICAL COMPANY.
1880.

ADAMS TOWNSHIP.

 

This township is located in the north part of the county and corresponds with congressional township No. 77, range 12. For several years after it began to be settled, it was a part of English River township. In 1850 it contained a population of 29; in 1856 the population amounted to 164 males and 129 females; in 1875 there were 949 inhabitants. The first four settlers in Adams township were John Ballard, Hugh Rodman, John Duke and Moses McCoy. In 1849 Martin Ballard taught the first school. William P. Cross was the first man married, and the first death was that of a daughter of David Miller, on the farm where Solomon Hallett now lives. The first town laid out was Aurora, situated on sections three and four. In October, 1879, the town of Keswick, on the line of the B., C. R. & N. railway, was laid out; it is situated on sections twenty-one and twenty-two.

The present township officers are as follows:

Justices of the Peace—T. E. Johns and Thomas Cover.

Constables—S. Carl and M. Holliday.

Trustees—Daniel Gordon, Thomas Cover and Wm. Cross.

Clerk—A. H. Stephenson.

Assessor—J. F. Burdine.

Transcribed by Pat Wahl. Thank you, Pat!

 

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb solely for the  use and benefit of the  IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & Other Contributors        
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  --all of which apply to Keokuk Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Keokuk Co. IAGenWeb                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from penny postcards of Keokuk County, donated to the USGenWeb Archives