Married: October 26, 1881
One of the pleasantest social happenings at Prairie City, of Halloween, was the celebration of the fourteenth wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Ellis McConnaughey, at their beautiful home on East Jefferson Street. A large number of their friends were present, and a grand time enjoyed. Ellis and "Miss Dora Springer" were united in marriage in October 1881, in Newton, the ceremony being solemnized by Rev. W. G. Thorn, pastor of the M. E. Church at that time. Since then time has wrought changes. Ellis and Dora have grown some older, but their hearts are still as young as on the day they plighted their troth, and the love they pledged to each other, has only grown as the years glided by. Providence has dealt kindly with them, providing them with all the comforts and luxuries of a beautiful home, enough of this world's goods to satisfy any reasonable desire, and friends without number who love to honor and respect them. ~ The Newton Record, Friday, November 8, 1895, Page 1, Column 4
Millgates Observe 50th
Married: June 2, 1920
On Sunday, June 7 Miss Marilyn Millgate of Grinnell and Mr.
and Mrs. Lloyd Breeden of Plymouth, Mich., entertained 48
relatives at the 50th anniversary celebration of their parents,
Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Milgate of rural Grinnell, at the Holiday
Inn in Newton.
Mrs. G. M. Heitink, friend and neighbor of the couple cut
and served the anniversary cake.
Guests attended from Newark and Knox City, Mo., Ashville, N.
Car., Columbia, S. Car., Plymouth, Mich., Council Bluffs,
Indianola, Des Moines, Sully, Lynville, Marshalltown, Iowa City
Mr. and Mrs. Millgate were married at Newburg, Ia., on June
2, 1920, and have lived on their farm since that time. ~
Grinnell-Herald Register June 1970
Note: Oliver Milgate and Inez Breeden married June 2,
1920 in Newburg, Iowa. The anniversary was held at the Holliday
Inn in Newton, Iowa.
Submitted by Esther Breeden
Celebrate Golden Wedding:
Many Friends, Relatives Help Celebrate Day
Married: February 4, 1895
One hundred and thirty-five relatives and friends
gathered at the farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence I. Miller
on Feb. 6, honoring them on
their Golden Wedding anniversary. Among the guests were
relatives and friends from Wisconsin, Des Moines, Brooklyn,
State Center and local communities.
During the evening, the couple and guests were
entertained by a song personalized by John Hitcher with Mrs.
Ruel Jackson accompanying, followed by the group singing
"Home Sweet Home." Short talks were give by the Rev. Ruel
Jackson, Patsy Healy and Fred Engle.
Beautiful flowers, which were gifts to the couple,
decorated the house. Dainty refreshments were served during
the day by Mrs. Victor Rose, Mrs. Donovan Emmack, Mrs.
George Dammeier, Beverly Emmack, and Doris Dammeier,
assisted by Donovan Emmack, George Dammeier and Clarence
Dammeier. Mrs. Elmer Emmack received the guests at the door
and Mrs. Helma Dammeier presided at the guest book.
The celebration of this anniversary is the second in the
Miller family to be held at the farm home. In 1909, Mr.
Miller's parents, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Miller, celebrated
their Golden Wedding anniversary there. They were the first
couple to be married in the court house in Newton, and
celebrated their 50th anniversary year the 6th of
The younger Mr. Miller sat on the first grand jury to be
held in the new court house. Clarence I. Miller was born
near Newton nearly 80 years ago and has lived on his present
farm for 75 years. Mrs. Miller was born in Illinois and is
75. Both are enjoying good health. ~ The Newton Daily
News, February 1945.
Submitted by Barbara Hug e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Miller Golden Wedding
Married: January 20, 1859
Last week we published a brief notice of the Golden Wedding
of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Miller We have received from Mr. F. A.
Hardenbrook, a full and well written account of the occasion,
but our space presents our prevents us publishing all of it.
We, however, take from it the following particulars.
Married in Newton, Iowa, January 20, 1859, Geo. W. Miller
and Miss Emily M. Helphrey, by Judge Edmundson, being his first
nuptial knot tied, also the first marriage in the old
courthouse, which was then nearing completion and which was
then the pride of Jasper county, for it has out-lived its
Mr. Miller was born in New York, emigrating with his parents
in 1843 to Illinois, about forty miles west of Chicago, where
he accompanied by his wife, visited with relatives this winter
during the holidays, to the same locality where his boyhood
days were spent.
He came to Iowa in the early 50's and has been a resident of
Jasper county ever since. The country was sparsely settled and
Newton then unknown.
Mrs. Miller came with her parents to Jasper county in 1855,
from Ohio, that state being her birthplace.
In honor of this important event, on Wednesday, January 20,
1909 invitations were issued to about 100 relatives, friends
and old neighbors, to be present to help celebrate their Golden
Wedding anniversary. To which 65 responded, distance and
inclemency of the weather, not permitting some to be
The couple have five living children, thirteen grandchildren
and one great grand child. The dinner was a feast of good
things, served in the order of a four-course luncheon. Among
the guests was Mrs. C. Kinebach, who was present at the
marriage fifty years ago. Many handsome presents were received,
among them a gold watch to each of the couple. ~ The Newton
Journal, January 27, 1909.
Submitted by Barbara Hug e-mail: email@example.com
Nearly 37 Years Later - It Will Never Last
Married: August 27, 1928
The following article is being reprinted from the Annals of
Iowa which is published quarterly at Des Moines by Iowa State
Department of History and Archives. It is in the winter, 1965,
issue. Sandra Knapton is the editor.
Iowa's 1928 Plane Wedding
In May, 1927, a slender young flier named Charles Augustus
Lindbergh electrified the world with a non-stop flight from New
York to Paris, turning people's eyes skyward and giving
aviation a tremendous boost in popularity. There followed other
long-distance flights, endurance flights, and also flights
which might best be classed as stunts, among them weddings
performed in the air.
One such, billed as the first "plane wedding" in Iowa and
"the only such marriage performed in the presence of an entire
bridal party," was performed August 27, 1928, while the plane
circled over the grandstand at the Iowa State Fair. On the
ground, Mendelssohn's wedding march was played by Creatore and
his grandstand band, providing appropriate nuptial music. The
bride was Thressa Brown of Grinnell, the groom, Myron
Millhollin of Newton, the officiating minister, Rev. Frank W.
Mutchler, pastor of the Union Park Church of Christ in Des
Moines. A Ford monoplane referred to as the Wamblee-Ohanko was
selected for the occasion "because of its large passenger capacity . . . fifteen persons." The wedding day's schedule was this: First, a banquet at the Administration Building, given by the State Fair Board.
The bridal party then proceeded to the grandstand and was
introduced to the crowd: they then returned to their private
cars and proceeded to the Des Moines municipal airport where
the plane was waiting "on the hill," and took off at 1:30 p.m.
In those years the airport was near Altoona, a fairly short
drive from the fair grounds, rather than at the present
location in the southwest part of Des Moines. The wedding was
scheduled for 1:45 p.m. but apparently took place about 2 p.m.
after which the wedding party returned to the grandstand for
further festivities. The whole story was told the next day in
the Des Moines Tribune-Capital by reporter Betty Gay, who had
been one of the persons on the plane. The following is her
account as it appeared in the newspaper. "I now pronounce you
man and wife. . ." Above the roar of the three motors of the
giant tri-motored Ford plane, Wablee Ohanko, as it swooped in
front of the grandstand at the state fair, the Rev. Frank W.
Mutchler pronounced these words which made Myron Millhollin and
Miss Thressa Brown man and wife.
The ceremony, which took place about 2 p.m. Monday, is the
first plane wedding attended by a full bridal party. Fourteen
persons were in the cabin of the plane, which is owned by the
Rapid Air Line, Inc., and piloted by Clyde W Ice.
The afternoon was ideal for the event. After a luncheon at
the administration building given by the state fair board, the
party drove in two cars before the grandstand. As they were
introduced through the amplifiers, the bride, bridegroom, best
man, matron of honor, the Rev. Mr. Mutchler and the parents of
the couple arose and received applause from the thousands
gathered for the event.
The lead automobile, an eight-seated McFarlan owned by F. M.
Barnes of Chicago, then started for the municipal airport,
conveying the bride, bridegroom, best man, matron of honor, the
Rev. Mr. Mutchler and a Tribune-Capital reporter.
The second car, driven by Julius Kunz of Wesley, followed.
"I'm not a bit afraid," said Miss Brown, as she protected her
shower bouquet of Iowa flowers (rubrum lilies, gladiolus, and
daisies) from the breeze. She had been "up" before.
"I wish we'd get going," replied the bridegroom nervously in
the approved bridegroom manner. It was to be Mr. Millhollin's
first adventure in the air.
Miss Brown wore a pink crepe dress with an ensemble coat to
match, decorated with printed roses and six inches of silk
fringe. She a smart white sport hat and pearl choker beads.
Mrs. Lower, matron of honor, wore a yellow and white sport
dress, with checkered blouse, a stitched yellow silk sport hat,
choker pearls and mink neckpiece.
For many of the party that climbed into the big plane, this
was their first airplane ride. As the plane taxied to the end
of the field on oversized tires, shooting up the grass like a
lawn mower from the muddy ground, all eyes were turned toward
At the edge of the field, Pilot Ice "stepped on 'er," and,
with an increase in the clatter of the heavy motors, the
Wamblee Ohanko rose from the ground, bumped down again, and
The breeze which tore at the cornfields below did not phase
the big cabin plane, although there were occasional shrieks
from the members of the party, as the plane ducked into air
The plane seemed hardly to move at all, although the
speedometer showed us that we were eating up space at the rate
of 100 or more miles an hour. Horses and cows were as tiny
carved things. Sink holes filled with water dotted the
In no time we were zooming down in front of the grandstand,
turning sharply on our side, and returning again. On this
second trip, the wedding ceremony was performed in the front of
the cabin, the best man and matron of honor attending.
Over the chugging of the motors we could hear only an
occasional word of the ceremony, But it was soon over, and
everybody was climbing over to kiss the bride - - - especially
Again we circled past the grandstand, and thence for a tour
over the city while our tiny shadow followed us over the still
tinier buildings. The Equitable buillding was dwarfed to
It didn't seem as if we had been up twenty minutes and had
witnessed a wedding ceremony, as we arrived at the airport
again, swallowing hard as we dropped down from our 1,500-foot
Outside the plane, the Rev. Mr. Mutchler, widely known in
Des Moines as the "marryin' parson," shook hands with the
newlyweds. "I hope she always cooks your potatoes just right,"
he told the groom, "and you always buy her dresses and hats and
clothes when she wants them." Back in the automobile again, the
Rev. Mr. Mutchler called back to Pilot Ice, "Are you married?"
"Nope," returned Mr. Ice.
"Well, if you ever want to be," replied the parson, "come to
me and it won't cost you a cent!" As the car sped back to the
fair grounds Mr. and Mrs. Millhollin opened an envelope given
to them just after the ceremony by Julius Kunz, as
representative of the fair board. It contained $______and a
After an argument about who the money belonged to, the
Millhollins decided to put it in a fund to buy furniture for
their apartment in Newton, where Mr. Millhollin is connected
with the Rock Island railroad, and where the couple will make
At the fair grounds the party proceeded to the grandstand to
review the races. They have a special box reserved for tonight,
also. Among those who witnessed the unique wedding were: Mr.
and Mrs. Everett Brown, the bride's parents; Mr. and Mrs. W. E.
Millhollin, parents of the bridegroom; Mr. and Mrs. O. E.
Lower, best man and matron of honor; Miss Myrtle Mutchler,
daughter of the Rev. Mr. Mutchler; Mr. Mutchler, a
Tribune-Capital photographer and reporter.
Mr. and Mrs. Millhollin will leave Des Moines today,
returning to Newton and taking their honeymoon late in
September at the time they had originally planned their
Sixty thousand persons saw them married, and wished them
happiness. An expecialy interesting sidelight to this story is
that Mrs. Millhollin worked at the Grinnell Herald at the time
she was married and it is understood that Miss Myrtle Mutchler,
the minister's daughter, became a teacher at Cooper school in
Several Des Moines ministers wrote to the Des Moines paper
"preaching" against "stunt" marriages and claiming that they
never last. This one did! Mr. and Mrs. Millhollin will observe
their 37th wedding anniversary on August 27! Grinnell
Herald-Register Thursday, February
Note: Thressa Brown and Myron Millhollin married
August 27, 1928 in an airplane over the Iowa State Fair
Submitted by Esther Breeden
Fifty Golden Years
Married: October 18, 1848
Fifty years ago last Tuesday - on the 18th day of October 1848 - in the little town of Canton, Ill., a young man by the name of Ebenezer W. Mitchell, 22 years of age, and Miss Margaret F. Freeman, a pretty girl of 20 summers, were united in marriage by Rev. Jones, a local Congregational preacher.
A half century of joys and sorrows, sunshine and shadows, have passes since that happy wedding morn, yet Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell are still as young in spirit as when they plighted their marriage vows. The anniversary day came and they had taken no notice of it, but their daughter Mary had. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell had purposely been invited to take 5 o'clock tea at the home of J. M. Woodrow, and when they returned home found the house filled with neighbors and old friends who hastened to congratulate them on their fifty years of married life. It was a perfect surprise to the aged bride and groom, but one, which they thoroughly enjoyed. A fine supper was spread, the delicacies of which had been prepared on the sly by their daughter Miss Mary. Their son, Rev. J. J. Mitchell, and two sons of Prairie City were present. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell have been residents of Newton since July 1856, and there are hundreds of other friends who have known them all these years who would have been pleased to join them in the celebration of their golden anniversary. ~ The Newton Record, Thursday, October 20, 1898, Page 1, Column 4
Observe Golden Wedding
Married: December 2, 1913
On Sunday, Dec. 1, approximately 250 relatives and friends
gathered at Trinity Lutheran church to help Mr. and Mrs. Fred
Mithelman celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
The Rev. Fred Peters conducted an anniversary service,
following which the guests were served cake and coffee or
punch. Those serving were Mr. LeRoy Mithelman at the coffee
service, Mrs. Claire Mithelman at the punch bowl, and Mrs. Gail
Young, daughter of the honored couple, cut the cake, assisted
by Judy Mithelman and Mrs. Jerry Holcomb, granddauthers of the
Marvel Young was in charge of registering the guests and
Janie Mithelman and Suzanne Mithelman were at the gift table.
They are also grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Mithelman.
Those helping in the kitchen were: Mrs. Ruby Ahrens, Mrs.
Elizabeth Schultz, Mrs. Marie Plum, Mrs. John Cogley, Mrs.
Joanne Cogley, Mrs. Avis Kelm and Mrs. John Lang.
Those attending the open house on Sunday, who also attended
the wedding on December 2, 1913, were: Mr. and Mrs. J. C.
Deedrick, in whose home the wedding was solemnized; Elmer
Mithelman, Jake Schultz, Elmer Schultz, Arthur Hanssen, and
Walter Hanssen. Mrs. Josie Mithelman and Mrs. Mary Mithelman
were at the wedding 50 years ago but unable to attend the open
house due to illness.
The couple received many lovely gifts and a very attractive
money tree, made by Mrs. Carl Beevar of Marshalltown, niece of
Mr. and Mrs. Mithelman have three children, seven
grandchildren and two great grandchildren, and farmed in the
Malcom vicinity until 1944 when they moved to Grinnell.
Guests attended the reception from Stillwater, Minn.;
Coggon, Walker, Norway, Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Malcom and
Note: Mr. and Mrs. Fred MITHELMAN married December 2,
1913 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Deedrick and the Golden
Wedding Anniversary was celebrated at the Trinity Lutheran
Submitted by Esther Breeden
Mr. & Mrs. Allan McDannel - 47th
Married: December 14, 1854
Mr. and Mrs. Allan McDannel celebrated their forty-seventh wedding anniversary, at their home near Reasnor, on the 14th inst., about forty of their friends joining them in the happy occasion. Mrs. Mc was formerly Miss Sarah Murphy, and their marriage occurred in Monroe on the 14th of Dec. 1854. They have had a family of fourteen children, only seven of whom are living and all grown. Providence has dealt very kindly with them, and in their old age have an abundance to insure them comfort and a reasonable share of this world's blessings. ~ The Newton Record, Thursday, December 26, 1901, page 1, Column 2
~ Milburn, Mr. & Mrs. George C. ~
Mr. & Mrs. George C. Milburn 17th
Married: May 1883
On Saturday evening, May 19, 1900, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. George C. Milburn, southwest of town, occurred a social gathering, the occasion being the 17th anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. George C. Milburn. ~ The Newton Record, Thursday, May 31, 1900, Page 4, Column 4 - Kellogg
~ Moffit, Hugh Lindley & Sarah Green ~
Mr. & Mrs. H. L. Moffitt - 35
Married: October 1866
Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Moffitt celebrated their thirty-fifth wedding anniversary, last Friday, at their spacious farm home over in Sherman Township about four miles west of town. The serving of dinner began at 12:15 and continued until 4 o'clock in the afternoon - ninety-nine persons, besides a small regiment of children, partaking of the sumptuous feast. The "bride and groom" were given ample evidence of the kind regard of their friends in the large number of costly and beautiful presents, which were given them on their anniversary. It don't seem like thirty-five years since Sarah Green, a pretty, Missouri girl, came up here for a visit with her kindred of the Willis Green family, won the heart of Lindley Moffitt, the denouncement being the happy wedding which was celebrated with their children and friends on Friday. ~ The Newton Record, Thursday, October 31, 1901, Page 1, Column 6
~ McMurray, Henry B. & Anna B. Larson ~
Celebrate Golden Wedding Anniversary
Married: December 18, 1889
Mr. and Mrs. Henry B. McMurray opened their home at 810 South Second avenue West Monday afternoon and evening to their friends and relatives, the occasion being their Golden Wedding anniversary.
All three of the McMurray children - Maurice and his wife from Fort Worth, Tex., Mrs. Lou Toedt and her husband of Laurel and Lucille at home - were able to be present for the celebrated affair.
More than 80 persons attended the open house throughout the day to bring their good wishes and congratulations to add to the many messages, cards, telegrams and flowers which were received in abundance. A special message came from Mrs. McMurray's sister-in-law, Mrs. J.A. Larson and son Charles of St. Petersburg, Florida.
Guests were met at the door by Mrs. Toedt, Lucille and Mr. and Mrs. Maurice McMurray, and after signing the guest register, were presented with golden ribbon bows.
Mrs. Ray McMurray, Mrs. D.M. Tripp and Mrs. Willis Bodley poured at the tea service as was assisted by Mrs. John Emery. A centerpiece of gold foil and paper lace fashioned to form a small Christmas tree and gold tapers at crystal holders at either end were the only decorations at the tea table.
Texas cedar which the son, Maruice, had brought from near his own home, artistically filled the archways, doors and windows with a color of red being added by small china berries. A large cluster of mistletoe hung in the center of the central archway. Flowers from friends and relatives were also placed around the room.
Their guests enjoyed the informal period in which pictures of the bride and groom of 50 years were shown and one of the original wedding invitations was passed around.
Several who attended the wedding in 1889 at the Everett Bodley home west of Newton, also took part in the activities here Monday. They were a brother and sister of the bridegroom, James T. McMurray and Mary McMurray, and John Harvey, Ed Harvey, Willis Bodley and Mrs. Jesse Marquis.
Musical numbers by Lou Toedt included, "We've Come A Long Way Together" and "When Pa Was Courtin' Ma" accompanied by Mrs. Maurice McMurray who also sang with Mr. Toedt in several selections.
Mrs. McMurray wore a lovely corsage of yellow roses, blue forget-me-nots and daisies and Mr. McMurray a boutonniere of a yellow chrysanthemum, gifts from Mr. and Mrs. Toedt and son Norman.
During the afternoon and evening sessions, the immediate members of the family and special guests - 21 in number - were entertained at a buffet supper served by Mrs. Lou Toedt.
Supper guests included: Mr. and Mrs. H.B. McMurray, Lucille McMurray, Mr. and Mrs. Lou Toedt and Norman of Laurel, Mr. and Mrs. Maurice E. McMurray of Fort Worth, Tex., James T. McMurray of Cedar Rapids, Mary McMurray, Mr. and Mrs. Ray McMurray, Mrs. Dick Tripp, Mr. and Mrs. Willis Bodley, Ed Harvey, Mr. and Mrs. John Emery and Louis Robert, L.N. Blackwell, Mrs. S.S. Marshall and Mrs. Jesse Marquis of Colfax.
Included in out-of-town callers were Mr. and Mrs. Ray Slaughter of Waterloo.
Henry B. McMurray and Anna B. Larson were united in marriage Dec. 18, 1889, at the Everett Bodley farm west of Newton by the Rev. E.L. Schreiner, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church. They began housekeeping on the old McMurray homestead about 2 ½ miles northwest of Newton and later moved in to Newton.
At the age of 9 years, Mr. McMurray came with his family to Jasper county in 1869 and has continued his residence here. Prior to coming to Jasper county his family made the trip in a covered wagon from Bedford Co., Pa. to Cedar county, Ia. in 1852.
Mr. McMurray celebrated his 79th birthday on November 26th and Mrs. McMurray will observe her 75th anniversary on Christmas day. ~ Submitted by McMurray family descendents.