Return to the Home Page
Howard County IAGenWeb Contacts Page
Howard County IAGenWeb Copyright Statements Page
Howard County IAGenWeb History/Records Page
Howard County IAGenWeb Lookups Page
Howard County IAGenWeb Mailing Lists Page
Howard County IAGenWeb Messageboards Page
Howard County IAGenWeb Resources Page
Howard County IAGenWeb Search Page

Any Suggestion or Questions:


THE CHURCHES IN A NUTSHELL

It is great pity that we must crowd the great histories of our churches into the little nutshells of this chapter. Suggestions of what might be written of many of these churches may be found in the things that have been written concerning some of them in preceding chapters.

The list, alphabetically arranged with dates of organizations, names of pastors, etc., is substantially complete, only a few being omitted, and those of no significance. The number of the list if four hundred and seventy-one.

No doubt those familiar with the churches of the state will be surprised at the number of unfamiliar names here recorded. More than one-third of these churches are not now in existence. Some never had anything more than a name to live. Some died in good health and without cause or reason expecting unwillingness to bear the responsibilities of life. Many that dropped out by the way justified themselves in their living, and in their dying too. Some died to live in other churches, sometimes in churches of other names. The loss by death is not nearly as great as appearances would seem to indicate. This list of churches, names of pastors, and date of dedications represent decades and even centuries of consecrated toil and sacrifice with great forces intellectual, moral and spiritual, working for the making of the commonwealth, the leavening of the nation, and the saving of the world.

CRESCO
September, 1856.  Former names:   Vernon Springs and New Oregon. Father Windsor, 1856-1866 and 1868-1871, S.D. Peet, E. Southworth, A.S. McConnell 1876-1890, W.H. Kaufman, James Oakey, J.H. Boggess, O.H. Holmes, 1896-1902, J.H. Eakin and J.J. Hinman.  Dedications, November 17, 1861, and January 21, 1900.

ELMA
May 13, 1887.  Eli Beers, B.F. Paul, L.A. Brink, V.F. Brown, James Rowe, L.E. Potter, E.H.H. Holman, Q.L. McCleery, J.C. Warner and F.E. Cain.  Dedication, June 29, 1890.

RICEVILLE (JAMESTOWN)
September 4, 1858.  Edwin Teel, W.L. Coleman, C.S. Marvin, W.F. Harvey, S. Penfield, O.A. Thomas, J.H. Skiles, J.A. Brown, Abbie R. Hinckley, L.N. Pierce, N.L. Packard, T.C. Hunt, S.J. Huffman.  Dedications, October 13, 1869 and December 28, 1902.

SARATOGA
June 17, 1891 Yoked with Elma and Riceville.

Transcribed by Roseanna Zehner
Source: The Pilgrims of Iowa by Truman O. Douglass Chapter XV1 1911