FLOYD E. PAGE has won his mark as an Iowa lawyer and is the junior
associate of one of the oldest and best known attorneys of Crawford County,
being a member of the law firm of Sims & Page at Denison.
Mr. Page was born at Arthur in Ida County, Iowa, November 5, 1896, son of
E. B. and Emma (Shoop) Page. His parents live on a farm near Ida Grove,
and his father has been identified with agricultural pursuits all his active
Floyd E. Page was one of a family of six children, five of whom are living.
In 1914 he was graduated from the Ida Grove High School, and soon afterward
entered the University of Iowa, graduating from teh College of Liberal Arts
in 1919 and from the College of Law in 1921. He was admitted to the
bar in June, 1921, and at once came to Denison and entered the office of
Mr. Jacob Sims, who subsequently took him into the partnership of Sims
& Page. Mr. Page is a member of the Iowa State and American
Bar Associations and has taken a considerable interest in local politics.
Since 1924 he has served as chairman of the Crawford County central
committee of the Republican party. He is a Mason and a member of the
Acacia fraternity. He is also a Phi Delta Phi and a member of the Improved
Order of Red Men.
Mr. Page on June 29, 1921, married Miss Deborah Sykes, a native of Iowa,
daughter of A. and Alice (Denny) Sykes, of Ida Grove. They have one
daughter, Deborah Ann, born November 20, 1925.
EBER LENON PALMER is superintendent of city schools at Vinton, and
his first teaching experience was in that community. It is a rather
unusual circumstance that a father and son occupy prominent educational positions
in one town, his father Francis Eber Palmer, being superintendent of the
State School for the Blind at Vinton.
Eber Lenon Palmer was born at Greenfield, Iowa, September 16, 1897, son of
Francis E. and Cora May (Lenon) Palmer. Appropriate mention of his
father's notable career as an educator is made on following pages of this
Eber Lenon Palmer received his early school advantages in the several localities
where his father was superintendent of schools, including Villisca, Greenfield
and LeMars. He is a graduate of the LeMars High School. In high
school he showed special proficiency in dramatic and debating work. In
1914 he entered Grinnell College, from which he received his A. B. degree
In May, 1917, he and seven other Grinnell students volunteered for service
in the World war, and singularly all of them were assigned duties that kept
them together. They were connected with the Twenty-sixth Base Hospital,
received training at Fort McPherson, Georgia, and on June, 1918, went overseas,
being stationed at Allerey, near Dijon, France. Mr. Palmer returned
to the United States in February, 1919. Since the war he has been a
member of the American Legion.
After his release from military duty he resumed work in Grinnell College
for ten weeks. At Vinton he taught mathematics in the high school for
two years, and for two years was principal of the high school there. Then
came an interruption to his work as an educator when he spent a year
of residence at the University of Iowa. After taking his Master of
Arts degree he was for two years superintendent of schools at Radcliffe,
Iowa, and then returned to Vinton as superintendent of the public schools.
He is a member of the Iowa Teachers Association, National Education Association,
is a Republican, a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Phi Delta Kappa,
and is a Methodist. He married Miss Eunice Olsen, daughter of L. H.
Olsen, of Minneapolis. Mrs. Palmer was educated at the University of
Minnesota, and taught the craft arts, including basket weaving, at the School
for the Blind at Vinton.
FRANCIS E. PALMER, veteran Iowa educator, has since 1918 been
superintendent of the Iowa State School for the Blind at Vinton. He
comes of a family of educators, both his parents having been school teachers.
His son, Eber L. Palmer, by an interesting coincidence, is superintendent
of the public schools at Vinton.
Francis E. Palmer has devoted forty-two years of his life to school work.
For two years he conducted a small private school near Grinnell.
This was a school attended by pupils from the rural neighborhoods and
his salary was twenty-six dollars a month. Mr. Palmer was superintendent
of schools at Spirit Lake, Guthrie Center, Greenfield, Villisca, Jefferson,
LeMars and Mason City, and then was called by the state board of education
to the duties and responsibilities of the Iowa State School for the blind.
He is a native of Iowa, born September 24, 1863, on a farm located half way
between Cascade and Monticello, in Jones County. His parents, Stephen
A. and Angeline (BEnnett) Palmer, were Iowa pioneers. Stephen A. Palmer
was born in New York State, thirty miles from Rochester, and his wife, Angeline
Bennett, was a native of Ohio. They first met while both were students
in Oberlin College of Ohio. Angeline Bennett taught school near Wadsworth
in her native state. Before his marriage Mr. Palmer's father moved
to Janesville, Wisconsin, and a year later, in 1853, came to Iowa, with his
bride, locating in Jones County. At that time there were no railroads
west of the Mississippi, and for his first home in Jones County Stephen Palmer
hauled lumber thirty miles from Dubuque. That was a tremendous undertaking
when the condition of the roads and highways are considered. At the
present time over the modern Iowa highway system a truckload of lumber could
be run out from Dubuque, thirty miles, in an hour's time, whereas seventy-five
years ago a team of horses or oxen in the most favorable season of the year
could accomplish such a trip in not less than ten hours. Stephen A.
Palmer after coming to Iowa volunteered his service in the Union army, but
was rejected, though he satisfied his patriotism by serving as jamor in a
regiment of Home Guards. From Jones County the family subsequently
moved to a farm two and a half miles east of Grinnell, this move being made
to give the children better school advantages. There were eleven children
in the family. Stephen Palmer was an Iowa farmer when corn sold for
from fifteen to twenty cents a bushel and hogs were taken to the market and
brought only two dollars a hundred. He lived to be eighty years of
age, passing away in 1917, and his wife died in 1894. The family were
Francis E. Palmer while a boy came under the influence of a noted Iowa pioneer
educator, Barrett Whittemore. He attended school in Grinnell and after
graduating from Grinnell College received some special training in the Soper
School in Chicago. As a young man he majored in the classical languages.
Along with his practical work as an educator he has filled various
offices in educational organizations, having been president of both the Southwest
and the Northwest Iowa Teachers Association, is a former vice president of
the Iowa State Teachers Association and for three years was on its executive
committee. Mr. Palmer during the World war was a member of the Speakers
Bureau, active in the Y. M. C. A., and Red Cross drives. He is a Republican
and for many years has been active in the Methodist Church, serving on the
board of stewards and as a leader in Sunday School.
Mr. Palmer married, in 1893, Miss May Lenon, daughter of Capt. P. H. and
Emma (Baxley) Lenon. She was born at Panora, Guthrie County, was educated
at Guthrie Center and taught school there. Her father came from Indiana
and her mother from Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Palmer have had two children,
Lorna and Eber L. Both graduated from Grinnell College, and at the
time of her death, in October, 1918, Lorna was instructor of piano at the
School for the Blind.
CHRIS A. PANKOW. A banker whose name stands for solidity and
repute, and a veteran of the World war, Chris A. Pankow, cashier of the Farmers
SAvings Bank of Spragueville, Iowa, is one of the outstanding figures of
Jackson County. He was born at Spragueville, July 20, 1900, a son of
Ernest C. and Anna L. (Kunze) Pankow, both natives of Iowa, and for many
years residents of Spragueville, where the father has owned and operated
a general store, and is now serving as postmaster. He and his wife
have two sons and three daughters: Clive, who is a banker at Spencer,
Iowa; Leona, who is the wife of Louis Pauli, of Clinton, Iowa Laura, who
is the wife of Rev. A. C. Holf, of Millard, Nebraska; Le Anna, who is living
at home; and Chris A.
Following his graduation from the Preston High School in 1917, Chris A. Pankow
attended the Clinton, Iowa, Business College, and October 1, 1917, was made
assistant cashier of his present bank, in spite of his youth, and held that
position until July, 1918, when he enlisted for the World war at Dubuque,
Iowa. He was assigned to the Three Hundred and Fifty-fifth Regiment,
and sent to Camp Mills, New York, where he was in training until the armistice
was declared. After his honorable discharge from the service Mr. Pankow
returned to Iowa, and was employed in the Farmers National Bank of Aurelia
from 1919 to 1921, when he returned to Spragueville to become cashier of
the Farmers Savings Bank, which position he still holds, with characteristic
On May 28, 1921, Mr. Pankow was married to Miss Gladys Shank, a daughter
of J. T. and Minnie (Mummert) Shank, both natives of Iowa and now living
in Cherokee County, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Pankow have no children. He
is a member of the Clinton Lodge, B. P. O. E.; and Spragueville Camp, M.
W. of A. One of the leading Republicans, he is now serving as town
clerk. Since its organization he has been an active member of the American
Legion, and in August, 1929, was honored by being elected state finance officer
of Iowa at the annual convention of the state which met at Marshalltown;
and for the past eight years he has been adjutant of the Jackson County
Association of Legion Posts.
GEORGE PARKER, A.C. A., C.P.A., Southern Surety Building, Des
Moines, has been in practice in Iowa since 1912, when he was the first certified
public accountant to open an office in the state.
Mr. Parker was born in England, November 13, 1876. His father, John
Parker, F. C. A., was a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants
in England and Wales, and was an outstanding member of his profession in
that country, where he lived all his life, passing away in 1905.
Accountancy has always been a favorite occupation of members of the
Parker family, and it may be interesting to state that, except for one break,
Mr. Parker's ancestors have been accountants for five generations.
George Parker, the subject of this memoir, was educated in private schools,
his principal instructor being James Hanna, M. A., of Trinity College, Dublin.
While in school he participated in the characteristic English sports
of rugby and association football and cricket. He served for five years
under articles to his father, passing the preliminary, intermediate and final
examination, and was admitted an associate of the Institute of Chartered
Accountants of England and Wales in 1899.
After practicing in England for ten years he came to the United States in
1909, and was engaged on the staff of Marwick Mitchell & Company in their
Minneapolis and Saint Paul office. He was admitted a certified public
accountant of the State of Minnesota in 1911, an din the same year commenced
practice on his own account. He opened a branch office in Des Moines
in 1912, and in 1913 was retained by the committee on retrenchment and reform
of the Thirty-fifth General Assembly to make a special investigation of the
existing procedure incident to the business of the state. His findings
were made the basis of the committee's report to the Thirty-sixth General
Assembly, and many of his recommendations - for example, the budget system
- have since been incorporated in the laws of our state.
Mr. Parker moved to Des Moines permanently in 1920. He has built up
an organization which has a wide range of service, including audits and
investigations, tax counsel, industrial surveys and constructive accounting,
the latter two comprising the review of existing accounting and statistical
methods, and the installation of improved procedure, particularly in reference
to cost accounting, budget systems, and the forecasting of the results of
contemplated future operations. He was admitted a certified public
accountant of the State of Iowa in 1923, and became a member of the American
Society of Certified Public Accountants in 1925. He has also enjoyed
high honors in the Iowa Society for several years, president in 1927-1928
and is now treasurer.
JOHN L. PARSONS. The professional life of John L. Parsons, of
Fort Dodge, was passed upon the highest plane of a lawyer's work, but recently
he gave up the practice of law and became manager of the Builders Supply
Company of Fort Doge, with which concern he has been connected since March,
1930. John L. Parsons was born on a farm in Calhoun County, Iowa, May
4, 1883, and is a son of Thomas and Mary H. (Clutter) Parsons. His
father, who was born in England, came to the United States about 1879 or
1880 and settled on a farm in Calhoun County, Iowa, where from small beginnings
he rose to be one of the substantial men of his community. He won the
confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens, took an active part in public
life, and after serving for some time as a member of the board of county
supervisors was sent to the State Legislature, in which body he served with
signal ability for three terms. His death occurred in 1928. Mr.
Parsons was a stanch Republican in political matters, belonged to the Knights
of Pythias, and during his entire life was a devout member of the Congregational
Church and took an active part in its movements. In Iowa he was united
in marriage with Miss Mary h. Clutter, who was born in Ohio, and died about
1899, and they became the parents of three children: Alfred H., who
is engaged in agricultural operations in Calhoun County; John L., of this
review; and Flora E., the wife of Charles H. Beck, of Fort Dodge.
John L. Parsons attended the public schools and Cornell College, at Mount
Vernon, Iowa, and in 1907 embarked in civil engineering, a vocation to which
he gave the greater part of his attention until 1928, being principally engaged
in drainage projects. In the meanwhile he studied law under the
preceptorship of D. M. Kelleher, and in 1926 was admitted to the bar, although
he did not start active practice until 1928, after which time he built up
a large and representative clientage. He has large land holdings which
require his attention. Mr. Parsons belongs to the First Methodist Episcopal
Church of Fort Dodge and is a member of the board of stewards. Fraternally
he is affiliated with the Masons and has served as secretary of his lodge.
In September, 1918, he entered the Officers Training Camp at Camp
Humphreys, where he was commissioned a second lieutenant, but was not called
upon for overseas service, receiving his honorable discharge in December,
1918. A Republican in his political affiliation, he has served as president
of the local school board since 1927, and was formerly county engineer of
both Humboldt and Webster counties.
In 1907 Mr. Parsons was united in marriage with Miss Laura Cheney, who was
born in Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, and graduated from Cornell College as a
member of the class of 1906. They are parents of three children:
Elsie L., who married Harold J. Foreman, who is connected with the
Register and Leader, Cedar Rapids; Lawrence C., who is attending
the junior college at Fort Dodge; and Carol, attending the junior high school.
AYLETT L. PASCAL, has lived all his life in Clinton County, and has
to his credit an active membership at the Iowa bar covering more than half
a century. His father was a lawyer by training, although he never
practiced, and Mr. Pascal's two sons have followed him in the same profession.
Mr. Pascal's father was George W. Pascal, an Iowa pioneer, and a man of notable
attainments, possessing a rich and varied scholarship as well as a faculty
for practical business. He was born at Longeville, Saint Avold, Lorraine,
France, and came with his parents to America in 1841. The family settled
at Canal Dover, Ohio. During 1846-47 he learned to make and paint chairs
at Zanesville, Ohio. From 1848 to 1850 he pursued his studies in Allegheny
College at Meadville, Pennsylvania, then and since one of the best small
colleges in the United States. George W. Pascal settled at Dewitt in
Clinton County, Iowa, in 1852. He taught school for a time. He
possessed the knowledge and training of a surveyor and was employed in running
many of the old land boundary lands over the county. Later he established
a home on eighty acres situated a mile and a half north of Dewitt, and in
subsequent years became one of the largest land owners in the county, at
one time having 1,000 acres on farm land in addition to considerable property
in the town of Dewitt. His landed interests gave him his chief business
occupation. He also found time to cultivate many unusual fields of
knowledge. During 1859-60 he was a student of astronomy and higher
mathematics in the University of Michigan and worked directly under James
Watson in the Detroit Observatory. George W. Pascal in March, 1861,
was admitted to the bar by Judge John F. Dillon.
He married, March 11, 1851, Talitha Cumi Cotton, a descendant of the famous
New England Colonial family of Cottons. She was born at Austintown
in Trumbull County, Ohio, in the Western Reserve, February 13, 1829.
Aylett L. Pascal was one of the eight children of these parents and was born
at Lyons, Clinton County, October 25, 1854. He attended school at Dewitt,
then entered the University of Iowa and was graduated from the law school
June 21, 1878. In December of the same year he began his career as
a practicing attorney at Dewitt, and has had his law offices there steadily
except for the period from 1891 to 1900 when he practiced at Clinton. The
general practice of the law had afforded him satisfaction for his chief ambition,
without resort to politics or public life. He is a member of the Clinton
County, Iowa State and American Bar Associations, is a member of the Masonic
fraternity and a Republican in politics.
He married, August 21, 1878, Miss Sarah C. Purcell, of Iowa City, daughter
of Isaiah and Rachel (McDaniel) Purcell. Her parents were among the
pioneers of Johnson County, Iowa. Mrs. Pacal died in 1924, after forty-six
years of married companionship. The two sons are Aylett L., Jr., and
Percival P. Both are graduates of the law school of Drake University
at Des Moines, Aylett L., Jr., graduating June 14, 1906, and his brother
in 1907. Aylett, Jr., is now attorney for the Iowa Mutual Insurance
Company. Percival is associated with his father, in the law firm of
Pascal & Pascal, at Dewitt.
EBERT G. PAUL. Since the fall of the year 1854 the family name
of Paul has been closely identified with the progress and development of
Clarke County, where, without exception, those hearing the name have been
men of substance, industry, high character and public spirit. Engaged
in a variety of interests, they have contributed materially to the growth
and prosperity of this section, at the same time advancing their own
personalities along legitimate channels of industry. A worthy
representative of this old and honored Clarke County family is found in Ebert
G. Paul, who during his active years was successively farmer, grocer and
hardware merchant, in addition to being a public official, but who is now
living in retirement at his home at Osceola.
Mr. Paul was born on a farm in Ward Township, Clarke County, Iowa, October
21, 1856, and is a son of George and Mahetable (Sutton) Paul. His paternal
grandfather, Rev. William Paul, came from Indiana to Iowa in 1854, and became
one of the early pioneer circuit riders of the Protestant Methodist faith,
serving his cause over a wide territory, where he was greatly beloved and
accomplished much for the spiritual welfare of the community. He reared
a family of eleven children, all of whom lived long and useful lives.
Although Grandfather Paul was of the Methodist faith, during the past
half a century the members of the family have been Spiritualists.
George Paul, father of Ebert G. Paul, was born in 1830, in Marion County,
Indiana, where he received a country school education and was reared to the
pursuits of agriculture. He was twenty-four years of age when he
accompanied the family to Iowa, entering land in Clarke County, where he
set about developing a farm. Seven years later came the war between
the states and he enlisted in Company D. Thirty-ninth, Regiment, Iowa Volunteer
Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war, principally as
a nurse. With an excellent record for fidelity, courage and great human
sympathy, after his honorable discharge he returned to Clarke County and
resumed farming and stock raising, in which he became successful through
his industry and natural ability. He was not a politician or office
seeker, but was always ready to contribute of his time and ability to the
furtherance of those projects which were inaugurated for the benefit of his
Ebert G. Paul passed his boyhood and youth on his father's farm, where he
was reared to habits of industry and integrity and acquired his educational
training in the local schools. In 1887 he took up land in Kansas, where
he was engaged in farming for three years, at the end of which time he returned
to Clarke County and for a number of years was successful both as a farmer
and an extensive feeder of live stock. Although he still retained his
farming interests, in 1910 Mr. Paul moved to Osceola, where for a short time
he was engaged in the grocery business, but disposed of this to devote his
energies to the hardware trade. In this venture he was highly successful,
continuing therein for about two decades. Mr. Paul is now independent
as to his financial affairs and owns large and valuable properties in the
Dakotas and Iowa. He also has a home in California, where he and Mrs.
Paul spend the winter months, but he has always regarded Osceola as his real
place of residence. Mr. Paul is a natural mechanic and for many years
operated a threshing machine outfit throughout Clarke and the adjoining counties,
and was, in fact, the first owner of a steam thresher in Clarke County. A
public-spirited citizen and a Republican in politics, he has served his community
capably as mayor, member of the city council and president of the district
In 1888, in Clarke County, Mr. Paul was united in marriage with Miss Maggie
Williams, who was born in Iowa, and to this union there were born the following
children: Frank, a hardware merchant of Osceola, who has two sons,
Lloyd and John; Earl, a farmer of Clarke County, who is the father of two
children, Maxine and Marvin; Dr. Everett, a dental practitioner of Osceola,
who has one son, Townsend; Mabel, the wife of William Edwards, of Spokane,
Washington, who has tow sons, Alvin and Everett; George, who is deceased;
and Aletha, who married Wayne McIntyre and resides at Osceola. In 1918
Ebert G. Paul married Mrs. Minnie Erts, who was born in Keokuk County, Iowa,
of South English ancestry, daughter of Richard L. and Margaret Lakin, and
who prior to her marriage to Mr. Paul had been a professional nurse. Mr.
and Mrs. Paul have one daughter; Mary Jeanette, a student of the public schools.
The present modern home of the Paul family, located on Main Street,
was erected in 1918.
HARRY C. PAYNE, physician and surgeon at Pella, has lived practically
all his life in Iowa, the only extended period of residence outside of the
state having been three years in Canada.
He was born at Beacon in Mahaska County, September 7, 1871, son of Robert
C. and Mary Ann (Evans) Payne. Robert C. Payne was born in Pennsylvania,
and came to Iowa soon after the close of the Civil war, settling later in
Monroe County. He was a Pennsylvania soldier in the Union army, serving
four years and three months. He had four brothers in the Civil war:
John J. and Salathiel, both deceased; George, who died on the field
of battle; and Edward, who is still living at Pella. David Payne, a
brother of Dr. Harry C. Payne, was a soldier in the Spanish-American war
and for three years was in the regular army service in the Philippines, and
during the World war period enlisted for service with the Canadian stoops.
Dr. Harry C. Payne graduated from the Albia High School in 1890, continued
his education in the University of Iowa, and in 1897 was graduated from the
Keokuk Medical College. He has spent more than thirty years in active
practice, and is regarded as one of the men of highest attainments in his
profession. He is a member of the Marion County, Des Moines Valley,
Iowa State and American Medical Associations, the Des Moines Academy of Medicine
and the American College of Physical Therapy.
Doctor Payne married at Keokuk in December, 1898, Miss Lillian C. French,
daughter of Frank A. and Eunice E. (Gray) French. She is of English,
Scotch-Irish and French ancestry, and of Revolutionary stock. her family
has many interesting connections with American history and with Iowa.
Her grandfather, John B. Gray, came from Burlington, Vermont, to the
Middle West in 1834 and located on the west side of the Mississippi River,
later, in Eddyville, on land that was not yet opened for settlement, still
being occupied by Indians who acknowledged allegiance to the great Sax chieftain.
Black Hawk. It was in honor of his home town in Vermont that
he named his first place of settlement Burlington, now one of Iowa's most
prominent cities. Mrs. Payne's great-great-grandfather Gray lost his
life while a soldier in the War of the Revolution. Her father enlisted
at Eddyville, Iowa, and was in the hospital service of the Union army for
over three years in the Civil war. Mrs. Payne is a member of the Pella
Woman's Club, the P. E. O. and Eastern Star.
Dr. and Mrs. Payne had three children: Leah Ruth, who died in January,
1915; Lillian Mary, a teacher in the schools of Fredericksburg, Iowa; and
Dorothy Eunice, a junior in the Pella High School. Doctor Payne has
been a loyal and public spirited citizen as well as a capable doctor. He
served on the first elected Board of Trustees for the public library. He
is a Scottish Rite Mason, member of the Knights of Pythias, Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Chamber of Commerce.
LEE O. PEACOCK has been a printer since early manhood, and in that
work has been connected with printing houses and newspaper establishments
in many localities in Iowa and other states. Another important chapter
of his experience was his service during the World war. Since 1923
he has been the publisher of the Tripoli Leader in Breamer County,
Iowa. Mr. Peacock and the Leader were born in the same year,
His birth occurred at Bloomington, Wisconsin, July 5 of that year. His
parents, James and Lottie (Trollope) Peacock, were also born at Bloomington,
and his father is now seventy-one and his mother seventy-two. James
Peacock has for many years been owner of a barber shop and has been active
in local affairs, serving as a member of the city council and for twenty-four
years has been city treasurer. He is a Republican, is a member of the
Knights of Pythias, and he and his wife are Methodists. There were
five children in the family: Maude, wife of J. E. Kavanaugh, foreman
of a printing shop in Chicago; Lee O.; Bernice and Bernard, twins, the former
the wife of L. G. Millin, an accountant at Racine, Wisconsin, while Bernard,
a Chicago salesman, served with the artillery brigade in the Forty-second
of Rainbow Division overseas; and Blanche, wife of Calvert Liggitt, in the
wholesale paint and varnish business at Madison, Wisconsin.
Lee O. Peacock graduated from the Bloomington High School in 1912 and in
the same year began his apprenticeship as a printer in the office of the
Bloomington Record. On leaving there he took up his experience
as a journeyman, which brought him relationships with various papers and
publications in the Middle West. For a time he was linotype operator
on the Prairie du Chien Courier.
In July, 1917, he volunteered and enlisted in the regular army. He
joined at Jefferson Barracks, Saint Louis, and was with the colors two years,
being transferred from camp to camp as a drill sergeant and instructor in
machine gun and small arm and bayonet practice. He was probably stationed
at a dozen cantonments, including Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, Camp Taylor,
Kentucky, Camp Gordon, Georgia, Camp Sheridan, Alabama, and others, and received
his honorable discharge at Camp Dodge, Iowa. His regular assignment
was with Company F of the Forty-sixth Infantry.
When the country no longer needed his service he resumed his place with the
Prairie du Chien Courier. He was next with the Oelwein
Iowan until it was merged with the Register. For a time
he was on the Dairy Farmer at Waterloo, then with the Cedar Falls
Record, and left there to take charge of the Tripoli Leader, which
has enjoyed a period of exceptional prosperity under his management since
Mr. Peacock is a past adjutant of the Tripoli Post of the American Legion,
is a member of the Iowa State Press Association and National Editorial
Association. He is a Republican, is a Knights Templar Commandery Mason
at Waverly, and he and his wife are Methodists, but attend the Congregational
Church, as the Methodist Church was consolidated with that denomination.
He is also a member of the Commercial Club. He married Nora M.
Schultz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Schultz, of Waterloo. Mr. Schultz
was in the furniture, jewelry and undertaking business in Stacyville, Iowa,
for about twenty-two years. Mrs. Peacock is active in various local
organizations, notably Congregational Church activities, Ladies Improvement
Club, and the Legion Auxiliary, of which she is a member of the executive
committee. She is also a member of the Eastern Star. They have
three children, Eunice Jean, born March 17, 1924, Donna, born July 24, 1928,
and Dorris Mac, born November 4, 1929, all born at Tripoli.
AMOS C. PEARSALL, general manager of the Pittsburgh Des Moines Steel
Company's branch in the city of Des Moines, is also vice president of this
important industrial corporation, with which he has been associated during
virtually his entire active business career. He is one of the
vital and progressive business man of the younger generation in the capital
city of his native state.
Mr. Pearsall was born at Spirit Lake, Dickinson County, Iowa, January 12,
1889, and is a son of George E. and Mary A. (Cleveland) Pearsall, the former
of whom was born in Ohio and the latter in the State of New York, where their
marriage was solemnized at Franklin, Delaware County, though both had previously
become residents of Iowa. George E. Pearsall is a son of the late Amos
Pearsall, who was born in the State of New York, whence he removed to Ohio,
and from the latter state he came with his family to Iowa in the year 1855,
so that he gained distinct pioneer precedence in the Hawkeye State, he having
been a carriage builder by vocation during much of his active life. George
E. Pearsall was young at the time of his family removal to Iowa, and here
he was reared and educated under the conditions that marked the pioneer
days. He has long been one of the representative business men of Des
Moines, where he is now vice president of the Iowa National Bank. He
is a Republican in politics, he attends and supports the Congregational Church,
of which his wife was a devoted member, he is affiliated with both York and
Scottish Rite bodies of the Masonic fraternity, and is an active member of
the Des Moines Club. Mrs. Mary A. (Cleveland) Pearsall, whose death
occurred in 1923, came to Iowa about the year 1879, and prior to her marriage,
which occurred in the year 1882, she had here been a popular teacher in the
public schools of McGregor, Clayton County. She was a daughter of George
Cleveland, who was born in New York State and who thence removed to Ohio,
from which latter state he went forth as a gallant soldier of the Union in
the Civil war, he died while held as a prisoner of war in historic Andersonville
Prison of the Confederacy. Of the two children of George E. and Mary
A. (Cleveland) Pearsall the elder is Amos C., of this review, and the younger
is Georgene, who is the wife of F. F. Wheeler, a leading lawyer in the City
of Appleton, Wisconsin.
Amos C. Pearsall supplemented the discipline of the Des Moines public schools
by attending Iowa College at Grinnell, this state, and in 1910 he was graduated
from the University of Wisconsin, from which he received the degrees of Bachelor
of Science and Mechanical Engineer. Almost immediately after his graduation
he became associated with the Pittsburgh Des Moines Steel Company, with which
he has continued his alliance during the intervening years. He was
made vice president of the company in 1921 and has since been general manager
of the Des Moines branch of this important industrial corporation, the western
business of which has been greatly expanded under his progressive administration.
Mr. Pearsall is a Republican in politics, he and his wife are members of
the Congregational Church, he has affiliation with the Masonic fraternity
in both its York and Scottish Rites, as well as its Mystic Shrine, and he
has membership in the Des Moines Club, the Wakonda Club, the Grant Club and
the Rotary Club, all representative organizations in his home city. While
at the University of Wisconsin he became affiliated with the Phi Delta Theta
In the year 1913 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Pearsall and Miss Mary
L. Perine, daughter of Albert C. Perine, long and prominent exponent of the
lumber business at Spencer, Iowa. Mrs. Pearsall received teh advantages
of the public schools of Spencer and also those of Iowa College at Grinnell,
and she is a popular figure in social and cultural circles of Des Moines.
Mr. and Mrs. Pearsall have one son, Amos C., Jr., who was born in June,
1917, and who is at the time of this writing a student in the public schools
of his native city.
OSCAR C. PERRIN, president of the First State Bank of Greene, has
made banking his profession since he left school. A real banker has
closer contact with the diversified business interests of a community than
probably any other business or professional man, and farmers, merchants,
or professional men and others throughout this section of Butler County have
come to look upon Mr. Perrin as their chief adviser in a financial way, and
it would be difficult to overestimate his standing and influence as a financier.
Mr. Perrin was born near Clarksville, Butler County, January 24, 1868, son
of Jeremiah and Anna (Hillman) Perrin. His father was a native of England,
first settled in Pittsburgh, and in 1851 came to Iowa as a pioneer of Butler
County, acquiring land and developing a farm. He was a man of very
substantial character and highly esteemed in his community. He died
in 1905, having two sons, Oscar C. and Mark J. Mark J. Perrin was for
many years a resident of Waterloo, but died at Clarksville.
Oscar C. Perrin grew up on an Iowa farm, had the advantages of the common
schools and finished his education in the Clarksville High School.
Immediately after leaving school he went to work in the private bank
of Louis Slimmer at Clarksville, and later he assisted in organizing the
Butler County State Bank, Clarksville, of which he is now vice president.
His chief interests have been centered at Greene since 1887, when he
became assistant bookkeeper for the First National Bank. Later this
was reorganized as the First State Bank of Greene and in 1903 he was made
its cashier and subsequently became president. From his immediate
responsibilities in the bank he has extended his interest over a wide field,
being financially interested in lumber yards, implement houses, owns a large
amount of Iowa farm land and was one of the promoters of the Green Electric
Light & Power Company.
Mr. Perrin is a Republican and has served on the board of alderman and the
school board at Greene. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity,
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias, and his wife belongs
to the Eastern Star.
He married in December, 1893, Miss Maude Mason, who came from Ohio. She
passed away in 1904. In 1907 Miss Mary Debban became his wife.
PETER H. PETERSEN, who has lived all his life in Clinton County, has
gained an enviable place at the Clinton bar and in the business affairs of
He was born on a farm in Clinton County, January 9, 1898, and his parents,
Herman H. and Ida (Swendsen) Petersen, now respected retired residents of
Clinton, were also native of Iowa. Peter H. Petersen grew up on a farm,
had his early advantages in rural schools and after 1908 attended the grade
schools of Whiting for three years. He was graduated from the Lyons
High School in 1915 and then entered the University of Iowa, where he took
his A. B. degree in 1919 and his degree in law in 1921. During the
World war he was a member of the Students Army Training Corps at Iowa City,
and military training took precedence over his routine studies.
After qualifying as a lawyer Mr. Petersen engaged in practice at Clinton
and is a member of the law firm of Petersen & Petersen, being in partnership
with Alfred E. Petersen. In addition to his general law practice Mr.
Petersen is owner and manager of the Abstract & Title Guarantee Company.
He is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, being a member of DeMolay
Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite. He is affiliated with the Knights
of Pythias, the Sigma Pi fraternity, the Clinton County and Iowa State Bar
Associations, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
He married, October 24, 1923, Miss Irene M. Tosh, daughter of John and Elizabeth
Tosh, of Clinton. Her father, now retired, was for many years a foreman
in the service of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway.
HENRY K. PETERSON is representative of one of the substantial families
of Council Bluffs, and by his own earnest ambition and hard work has created
for himself a large niche in the bar of that city. He is now head of
one of the large law firms, with offices in the Park Building.
Mr. Peterson was born at Council Bluffs, March 16, 1884, son of Mads and
Christina (Kaar) Peterson. His parents were born in Denmark, and were
young people when they came to the United States, his father in 1881 and
his mother in 1883. They were married in the latter year, and are old
and honored residents of Council Bluffs, where they are now retired. His
father began his career as an American citizen without capital, and made
his way to prosperity by industry. For many years he was foreman for
the lumber company in Council Bluffs. Both are members of the Brethren
Church and he is a Republican in politics. Of their seven children
three are now living: Henry K.; William W., who worked his way through
Harvard University, and is assistant state manager for the Southern Surety
Company at Indianapolis, Indiana; and Raymond G., deputy county auditor of
Henry K. Peterson grew up at Council Bluffs, attended school there, and after
graduating from high school, though without capital, he entered Drake University
at Des Moines and worked and earned his living while attending school. He
graduated from the law department in 1908 and then returned to Council Bluffs
to engage in private practice. He was associated as a partner with
Clem Kimball until Mr. Kimball's death on September 10, 1928. The law
firm still retains Mr. Kimball's name. The firm is Kimball, Peterson,
Smith & Peterson, and for years has enjoyed an extensive general practice.
Mr. Peterson married in 1911 Laura May Robinson, who was born at Council
Bluffs, daughter of Joseph Robinson, for a number of years in the hardware
business there. They have three children, Josephine, born in 1915;
Robert, born in 1917k, and Richard, born in 1925. The family are members
of the Baptist Church and Mr. Peterson is chairman of the board of trustees
and has been president of the Iowa Baptist Convention.
He has also interested himself in fraternal organizations, being affiliated
with the Masonic Lodge and Royal Arch Chapter and Council, the Woodmen of
the World, Modern Woodmen of America, MacCabees, Yoemen, Tribe of Ben Hur
and Loyal Order of Moose. In politics he is a Republican and for four
years was city attorney of Council Bluffs, and six years a member of the
school board. His work in behalf of schools has given him perhaps his
greatest satisfaction in a public way. He has been president of the
Council Bluffs Kiwanis Club and during 1925 was governor of the Iowa-Nebraska
Kiwanis District. He has many times been a delegate to state Republican
conventions, and was chairman and keynote speaker of the 1930 Republican
state convention. He is a member of the Pottawattamie County Bar
Association, being president in 1930, and a member of the Iowa State and
American Bar Associations, and it is to the law that he has devoted the best
years of his life.
JULLIAN A. PEVERILL. One of the veteran automobile men of the
State of Iowa, Julian A. Peverill, head of the Hudson Jones Automobile Company
of Des Moines, is the directing head of the largest organization of its kind
in the state. Mr. Peverill's career is a remarkable example of the
value of the simple traits of industry, perseverance and honesty in the building
up of a large fortune and the attainment of leadership in a given line of
business activity, for when he first became identified with the motor car
business, twenty-six years ago, his capital consisted of approximately $500.
He has been a resident of Des Moines since December, 1918, and is now
recognized not only as a business leader, but one who takes a prominent part
in civic affairs.
Mr. Peverill was born at Worthington, Minnesota, October 3, 1889, and is
a son of William J. and Julia (Kistner) Peverill. His grandfather,
William Peverill, was born in England, but in young manhood immigrated to
the United States and settled in Ohio. Later he moved to Missouri and
finally to Iowa, where he resided until his death. During the war between
the states he enlisted in the Union army and fought until near its close,
when he received a severe wound, which brought on paralysis, incapacitated
him from further active service, and eventually caused his death some years
later. He was a man of high character, spirit and courage and was greatly
respected in the various communities in which he made his home.
William J. Peverill, father of Julian A. Peverill, was born in Ohio, and
as a young man followed farming, but later became a grain dealer and broker.
During the '90s he came to Iowa and settled at Waterloo, where he continued
in the same line of business, as he had also for a time at Worthington,
Minnesota, and being a man of great industry and good judgment, was successful
in his affairs. He is now retired from business and he and Mrs. Peverill
are residents of Los Angeles, California. They are members of the United
Brethern Church, in the work of which both are active. Politically
Mr. Peverill is a Republican, and while residing at Waterloo was a member
of the City Council. He and his wife have seven children, all surviving,
Julian A. being the eldest. George Kistner, the maternal grandfather
of Julian A. Peverill, was born in Pennsylvania, whence he moved in young
manhood to Iowa, where he passed the remainder of his life in agricultural
Julian A. Peverill attended the public schools of Waterloo, and for a time
was his father's assistant in the grain brokerage business. As early
as 1906 he embarked in the automobile business, selling Regal cars, but
subsequently switched to Dodge cars and then also took over the Hudson agency,
selling both makes. In December, 1918, he came to Des Moines and became
a minor stockholder in the Hudson Jones Automobile Company, but after four
years bought out the interest of Mr. Jones and became the controlling owner
of the business, as he is today. This company, the offices of which
are situated at 1420 Grand Street, has been developed into the largest automobile
dealers in Iowa, operating in eighty counties. Incorporated for $100,000,
it now has annual sales approximating $3,700,000, which forms an interesting
comparison with the business that was founded with a capital of $500 not
so many years ago. In business circles Mr. Peverill is known as being
shrewd, capable and energetic, and thoroughly informed as to every angle
of the business, to which he devotes practically all of his attention, although
not to the exclusion of his duties as a good and public-spirited citizen.
He belongs to the various automobile dealers' bodies, the Wakonda Club
and the Des Moines Club, and is a Scottish Rite Mason and member of the Mystic
Shrine. Politically a Republican, he has had little time for liking
for politics, except in exercising his franchise as a voter for the candidates
whom he deems best fitted for the office at stake. He was reared in
the faith of the United Brethren Church and is a contributor to worthy religious
and educational movements.
In 1906 Mr. Peverill was united in marriage with Miss Lennis Miller, who
was born in Iowa, and received her education at Oelwein, this state, where
she was graduated from the high school, later supplementing her education
by self teaching and reading. She is active in all good works and has
numerous friends in social circles. She is a daughter of William Miller,
who for many years was engaged in agricultural pursuits in Fayette County,
this state, but is now living in retirement. Mr. and Mrs. Peverill
are the parents of two children: Juliet, who was born in June, 1910;
and Jean, who was born in August, 1919.
REV. ROWLAND FREDERICK PHILBROOK is a native of Iowa, a cultured and
highly educated clergyman of the Episcopal Church, and is now rector of Trinity
Episcopal Cathedral at Davenport.
Dean Philbrook was born at Dunlap, Harrison County, Iowa, November 6, 1891,
son of Barnabas Frederick and Ida Mary (McAlister) Pholbrook. His mother
was born in Chicago. His father is active of the State of Maine and
is now living at Sioux City, Iowa, being a dentist by profession.
Rowland Frederick Philbrook was a small child when the family moved to Denison,
Crawford County, Iowa, where he grew up, graduating from the Denison High
School. After that he attended the University of Iowa and took his
degree Bachelor of Scared Theology from the Divinity School at Philadelphia
He was ordained in Wyoming, in 1917, and had five years of interesting experience
in missionary work in the far western state. While there he was rector
of St. Thomas' Church at Rawlins, and was chaplain of the State Penitentiary.
Returning east, he was rector of St. Mark's Church in Chicago from
1922 to 1924, and from 1924 to 1928 served as rector of St. Luke's Church
in Lebanon, Pennsylvania.
Dean Philbrook came to the Trinity Cathedral at Davenport March 1, 1928,
being installed as rector on the Fourth of March, at which time the honorary
title of dean was conferred upon him. The impressive service was performed
by the Rt. Rev. Theodore Morrison, Episcopal Bishop of Iowa.
Rev. Mr. Philbrook married, in 1920, Miss Gwendolyn Taylor, a native of Sioux
City, Iowa. She is a graduate of Northwestern University of Evanston,
Illinois. They have two sons, James Frederick, born in 1924, and Robert
Rowland, born on Christmas Day, 1927.
BLAIR ALLEN PHILLIPS is president of the White-Phillips Company,
investment bankers, with offices in the First National Bank Building at Davenport
and 39 South La Salle Street, Chicago, with connections in the financial
world throughout the Middle West.
He was born n a farm near by Albany, Illinois, May 22, 1888. His parents,
Benjamin Franklin and Mary (Rosenkrans) Phillips, are still living on the
old farm at Albany. Mr. Phillips is of Welsh ancestry in the paternal
line, while his mother's people were originally German and Dutch. One
branch of the family produced Gen William S. Rosecrans, one of the great
Union leaders in the Civil war, who spelled his name slightly differently.
The Phillips family has been in America for nine generations.
Blair Allen Phillips was educated in the common schools of an Illinois
agricultural district. His home was on a farm until he was eighteen,
at which time he became a student in Brown's Business College at Davenport.
After leaving college he became associated with George M. Bechtel &
Company i the bond business, later became vice president of the company,
and had the reputation of being one of the largest single producers in the
bond and investment field in the State of Iowa. In 1919 he and George
White founded the White-Phillips Company, each of the partners having had
a wide experience in the purchase and sale of municipal bonds. From
the beginning the White-Phillips Company has specialized in safe and secure
investment securities, and it has become a buying and selling organization
of nation wide scope. The company has handled more than $100,000,000
worth of bonds since it was founded.
Mr. Phillips has been an active member of the Davenport Chamber of Commerce.
He is a member of the Rotary Club, is affiliated with Albany Lodge
No. 566, A. F. and A. M., is a member of the Scottish Rite Consistory and
Mystic Shrine, member of the Davenport Country Club, Hamilton Club, Chicago,
and Saint John's Methodist Episcopal Church.
He married, in 1912, Clara M. Fort, a native of Davenport. They have
three children, Jeanne Marie, Blair Allen, Jr., and Richard Elsworth.
CHESTER ARTHUR PHILLIPS, dean of the College of Commerce of the University
of Iowa, has won many honors in the educational field, as an authority on
finance and particularly in his administrative and teaching work at Iowa
City, where he has had his home since 1913.
Doctor Phillips was born at Scipio, Indiana, July 17, 1882, son of Jacob
and Celia (Celestia) Phillips. He was educated in public schools in
Indiana, and graduated with the A. B. degree from Central College of that
state in 1904. He was principal of the high school at Weston, Ohio,
in 1904-05, and held the chair of English and history in Central College
in 1905-07. He then entered Yale University, where he took his A. B.
degree in 1908, the Master of Arts degree in 1909, and in 1919 Yale conferred
upon him the Doctor of Philosophy degree. He was instructor in economics
at Yale in 1909-10, and from 1911 to 1913 was instructor in economics and
finance at Dartmouth College.
On coming to Iowa City in 1913 Doctor Phillips served as assistant professor
of economics and finance at the State University until 1918, was professor
of economics and finance form 1918 to 1920, and since 1921 has been dean
of the College of Commerce. He was special teacher and lecturer on
economics at Columbia University in the summer sessions of 1919, 1920 and
1922, and at the University of California in the summers of 1923 and 1928.
Doctor Phillips is author of Readings in Money and Banking, published
in 1916, and Bank Credit, published in 1920. He has been a member
of the advisory council of the Stabel Money League, is a member of the
International High Commission of the Pan American States, and is a member
of the American Economics Association. Academy of Political Science,
American Academy of Political and Social Science, is a national councillor
of the United States Chamber of Commerce and president of the Iowa City Chamber
of Commerce. Doctor Phillips is a director of the First National Bank
of Iowa City and a member of the United Brethren Church. His college
and honorary fraternities are Phi Sigma Kappa, Phi Beta Kappa, Delta Sigma
Pi and Beta Gamma Sigma.
He married Mary Gordon McMurray, of Huntington, Indiana, and they have three
children, Jessie Dorthy, Gordon and Van Lehn.
ADAM PICKETT, who is serving as
county attorney of Union County, with executive offices in the courthouse at
Creston, has been a resident of Iowa for more than forty years, has the degree
of Doctor of Philosophy and was long and prominently identified with educational
work in the state, and finally, in 1919, he initiated the practice of law at
Creston, where he continued to give his attention to his private law business
until he was elected county attorney, in which office he is now serving his
Mr. Pickett was born on a farm twenty miles distant from the
City of Belfast, Ireland, March 13, 1862, and is a son of Robert and Ellen
(Fraser) Pickett, who likewise were born in Ireland but both of whom were of
Scotch lineage, on which score they were zealous members of the United
Presbyterian Church, in the faith in which they were reared. Robert Pickett
continued his activities as a farmer in Ireland until his death, in 1870, and in
1884 his widow and children came to the United States, where Mrs. Pickett soon
made settlement in Greene County, Iowa. She was venerable in years at the time
of her death, in July, 1908, in Missouri. Mrs. Mary Ann Gray, eldest of the
children, is a widow and now resides in New York City, she having come with
other members of the family to the United States and she and her husband
having resided many years on their farm in Missouri. Her daughter, Miss Irene
Gray, was actively identified with Government war services in the World war
period, with headquarters in Washington, D.C., and later at Columbia University,
New York City, where she and her widowed mother now maintain their home. Robert,
Jr., eldest of the sons, resides at Sullivan, Indiana, and is a foreman in coal
mines near that place. Adam, of this review, was next in order of birth, and
Joseph, youngest of the children, resides in Detroit, Michigan.
Adam Pickett was a lad of eight years at the time of his
father's death, and his early education was obtained in the schools of his
native land. He preceded his widowed mother and the other children to the United
States, in 1882, and in coming to Iowa he advanced his education by attending
the Normal School at Dexter; Highland Park College, at Des Moines, this state;
and the Illinois Wesleyan University, at Bloomfield, Illinois, from which last
named institution he received his degree of of Bachelor of Philosophy, the
degree of Doctor of Philosophy having later been conferred upon him by the same
university. His law studies were prosecuted in the University of Chicago and in
the law department of the University of Drake University, Des Moines.
During the long period of thirty years Mr. Pickett was a
successful, influential and popular teacher in the Iowa public schools, and
during the final twelve years of this period he was superintendent of the public
schools of his present home city of Creston. After his retirement from the
pedagogic profession, in which he had made a splendid record, he here engaged in
the practice of law, in 1919, and his ability and popularity soon brought to him
a substantial and representative law business that engrossed the major part of
his time and attention until he was elected county attorney, in November, 1926,
the election of November, 1928, having marked his reelection to the office, in
which he continued to give a characteristically loyal, vigorous and acceptable
administration. It is to be noted that he gave seven years of service as justice
of the peace at Creston, a position to which he had engaged in the practice of
law in this city. Mr. Pickett is a stalwart advocate and supporter of the cause
of the Republican party.
In August, 1893, Mr. Pickett was united in marriage to Dora
L. Nichols, nee Clayton, who was born in Jones County, this state, and who
received the advantages of the Iowa public schools. Mr. and Mrs. Pickett have no
children. They are zealous and loved members of the Methodist Episcopal Church
in their home city, of which he is a trustee, and it is to be recorded also that
he gave thirty-four years of faithful service as a teacher in the Sunday School.
In the state in which they have lived and wrought to goodly ends Mr. and Mrs.
Pickett may truthfully be said to have a circle of friends that is limited only
by that of their acquaintances.
ERNEST ALFORD PICKWORTH. In the busy marts of the enterprising
and growing City of Waterloo the name of Pickworth, during recent years,
has come to be synonymous with business solidity and integrity. This
stabel and solid old family has as one of its present day representatives
Ernest Alfred Pickworth, a dealer in building materials, who not only has
built up a large and prosperous commercial enterprise, but has borne his
full share of the responsibilities of citizenship both in private and public
Mr. Pickworth was born July 28, 1887, in the City of London, England, and
his father, Rev. Felix H. Pickworth, also a native of that city, came of
pure British ancestry. He acquired a good education, served an
apprenticeship to the printer's trade, and finally was converted and became
a preacher of the Wesleyan Methodist faith. In 1888 he came to the
United States, where he was joined by his family, and his first pastorate
was near Beason in Mahaska County, Iowa. Later he joined the Episcopal
Church and was ordained an Episcopal minister by Bishop Perry, being first
stationed at Durant, Iowa, later at Farley and then at Anamosa, where he
served as chaplain at the State Prison for fourteen years, during which time
he inaugurated the printing room at that institution, giving his time to
teaching those of the prisoners who wished to learn the printer's trade.
From Anamosa he was called to Mount Pleasant, where he continued as
priest in charge of the Episcopal Church until his death in December, 1925,
at the age of seventy-two years. He had been for many years a member
of the Masonic fraternity. Reverend Pickworth married Emma J. Dudding,
who was born in Kent County England, and died in November, 1924, at the age
of seventy-nine years, having been the mother of two sons: Felix and
Ernest A. Pickworth was but one year old when brought to the United States,
and he attended the public schools of the various communities in which his
father had pastorates. Subsequently he pursued a course at the Shattuck
Military Academy, at Faribault, Minnesota, and later graduated from the Iowa
State College at Ames. Upon the completion of his education he went
to Chicago, Illinois, where he was employed as a draughtsman in an architect's
office, and was thus occupied until 1917, in which year he took up his residence
at Waterloo and continued to be engaged in a similar capacity. This
employment brought him into touch with men engaged in the building material
business, and eventually he engaged in that line of business on his own account.
He has built up a technical building specialty business, with offices
in the Pioneer Building.
On January 1, 1915, Mr. Pickworth was united in marriage with Miss Jessie
Patterson Baird, who was born at Dundee, Scotland, a daughter of Alexander
P. Baird, and a granddaughter of Fleming Baird, also a native of Dundee,
where he grew to manhood and served an apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade.
He came to the United States in 1906 and settled at Chicago, where
he conducted a blacksmith business until his death in 1916. He married
Jessie Patterson, who was born in Fyfeshire, Scotland, where she spent her
entire life. Alexander P. Baird took too a seafaring life in his youth
and followed the sea for some years, but in 1916 settled at Chicago, where
he was still living in 1929. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity
and of the Episcopal Church. He married Elizabeth McCauley, who was
born in Dundee, Scotland, and died in 1921. She and her husband were
the parents of six children: Agnes, Margaret, Jessie P., Elizabeth,
Fleming and William. Mr. and Mrs. Pickworth are the parents of two
children: Alfred Baird, born April 17, 1918; and Douglas Dudding, born
August 12, 1920. The family are members of the St. Mark's Episcopal
Church, and Mrs. Pickworth is a women of numerous accomplishments and graces.
WILLIAM J. PILKINGTON, secretary, treasurer and general manager of
the United Business Builders, Incorporated, with offices in the Insurance
Exchange Building, Des Moines, an organization which functions through putting
on campaigns for better buildings for retail merchants throughout the United
States, is a substantial and honored citizen who is a native son of the Hawkeye
State and who has achieved independence and worthy prosperity entirely through
his own ability and efforts.
Mr. Pilkington was born in Clayton County, Iowa, August 4, 1868, and is a
son of John and Elizabeth (Stewart) Pilkington, the former of whom was born
in England and the latter in Pennsylvania, they having come to Iowa about
1860, and Mr. Pilkington having represented this state as a loyal soldier
of the Union during the final year of the Civil war. John Pilkington
devoted his entire active career to productive farm enterprise, and in this
connection gained pioneer honors in Iowa, where both he and his wife remained
until their death, secure in the high regard of all who knew them. Of
the four children three are living; Mrs. C. E. Lovett resides at Volga City,
Clayton County, where her husband is engaged in the poultry business:
William J., of this review, is next younger; and Charles S., a commercial
traveler, resides at Westerville, Ohio. The late John Pilkington was
reared in the faith of the Church of England, and in the United States he
retained that faith as a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal Church,
the while his wife had membership in the Presbyterian Church.
William J. Pilkington passed the period of his childhood and early youth
on the old home farm in Clayton County, and that he profited by the advantages
of the public schools needs no further evidence than the statement that at
the age of seventeen years he initiated his successful service as a teacher
in the district schools of his native county. He thus continued a
representative of the pedagogic profession two years, and thereafter he was
employed two years as clerk in a retail mercantile establishment. He
next had several years of experience as a commercial traveling salesman,
and he then became editor and publisher of a weekly newspaper at Webster
City, the judicial center of Hamilton County. After being thus engaged
about three years he became the owner of the Merchants Trade Journal
at Des Moines, and he continued to publish this periodical nineteen years,
at the expiration of which he made an advantageous sale of the plant and
business. Thereafter he was retired from active business for a time,
and finally he organized the American Homes Company, of which he was the
president, the major functions assigned to this corporation being to assist
citizens in the adjusting and handling of their taxes, the service being
one that has met with marked popular appreciation.
In politics Mr. Pilkington maintains an independent attitude and gives his
support to men and measures meeting the approval of his judgment, regardless
of strict partisan lines. He and his wife are zealous members of the
University Christian Church and he has given many years of service as a member
of its Official Board.
In 1893 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Pilkington and Miss Susan M. Grayson,
who likewise was born and reared in this state, where her father, Emmanuel
Grayson, gained rank as a successful exponent of farm enterprise. Mr.
and Mrs. Pilkington have no children.
WILLIAM M. PLIMPTON, physician and surgeon, has been a valuable
representative of his profession at Glenwood for over thirty years. Doctor
Plimpton has been a very busy doctor, but has also manifested a keen interest
in the affairs of his community and has filled several positions requiring
his time and involving responsibilities outside of his routine professional
Doctor Plimpton was born at Brooklyn, New York, September 20, 1869, a son
of Edward S. and Selina J. (Bind) Plimpton. His parents were natives
of Massachusetts. His father came west and settled in Iowa in 1854,
and for a number of years was a merchant at Denison. Later he and his
wife moved to Salida, Colorado, and spent their last years in the home of
their daughter at Des Moines. They were Baptists, and were prominent
workers in their church at Denison. Edward S. Plimpton was a Republican,
served as city treasurer at Dension and was president of the school board
for a number of years. There were seven children in the family:
Carrie M., the oldest, is the wife of E. T. Fegtly, a retired Methodist
minister at Des Moines; Edward S., Jr., died at Salida, Colorado, at the
age of fifty-four; Lillian M. married H. S. Black, a Baptist minister, who
died at Tacoma, Washington, where she continues to make her home;
Dr. William M., is the fourth in age; Robert P. is also a physician, located
at Denison; George B. died at Denison when a child; and Elifleda M. is the
wife of Albert H. Fisher, head of the Fisher Planning Mills at Stockton,
Dr. William M. Plimpton completed his high school education at Denison and
completed his literary training in Des Moines University, from which he holds
two degrees, A. B. and A. M. In 1896 he was graduated M. D. from the
Chicago Medical College, and in the spring of the same year located at Glenwood
and has been away from his work and the duties of his home community only
for short periods of time, including visits to schools and hospitals for
post-graduate study and observation. He has one diploma for eye, ear,
nose and throat work at Chicago. Doctor Plimpton has been a prominent
specialist in obstetrics.
He married, October 1, 1896, Miss Laura Bartlett, of Wayne, Nebraska, where
she finished her high school course and later attended Des Moines University.
Doctor and Mrs. Plimpton have five children: Ruth J., the wife
of Capt. E. L. Homdahl, and teaching at Fullerton, California, where she
has charge of the commercial department; Edwin B., a practicing orthopedic
surgeon at Los Angeles; Lorna M., wife of John M. Dodds, who is associated
with the Pure Oil Company at Cincinnati, Ohio; Helen F., a teacher of commercial
and junior business at the schools in Beaumont, California; and Leslie Merrill,
a senior student in the University of Nebraska.
Doctor Plimpton is a Baptist, is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge and Royal
Arch Chapter, the Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and
is a Republican.
For four years he served as mayor of Glenwood and for twelve years was on
the school board, being president of the board the last year. He was
one of the organizers and is a director of the Glenwood State Bank, and is
a charter member of the board of directors and vice president of the Glenwood
Building & Loan Association. He is a charter member of the Glenwood
Rotary Club and served one year as it's president.
HAROLD B. PLUMB. A leading business man and influential member
of the Republican party in Blackhawk County, Harold B. Plumb has been a resident
of Waterloo for thirty years, during all of which period he has discharged
the duties and responsibilities of public and private life in a manner
that has established him favorably in the confidence and esteem of the people
of his community. As president of the Associated Manufacturers Corporation
he has displayed business and executive ability, and as postmaster of Waterloo
rendered splendid service to the people during his appointment in 1929.
Mr. Plumb was born at Utica, New York, a son of Henry A. Plumb. His
father was born at Washington Mills, New York, a son of Horace Plumb, who,
fro the best information attainable, was descended from an English family
which settled in York State. His own life was passed at Washington
Mills. At the age of seventeen years Henry A. Plumb, having completed
a public school education, commenced his career as clerk in a drug store,
and by hard work and close saving managed to embark in the same line of business.
He continued therein for a period of forty years, winning prosperity
and the confidence and esteem of his fellow-citizens, and retiring only because
of ill health. In 1910 he took up his residence at Waterloo, where
he was sixty-two years of age. he was a man of fine character and absolute
integrity, and shows his public spirit in many ways. Mr. Plumb married
Miss Sarah Marsh, a sister of W. W. Marsh, a sketch of whose career appears
elsewhere in this work. Her death occurred May 26, 1906
The only child of his parents, Harold B. Plumb completed his course in the
public schools of Utica, New York, including the high school, and then enrolled
as a student at Cornell University, from which he was graduated with the
class of 1901, receiving the degree of Mechanical Engineer. At that
time he came to Waterloo to become associated with his uncle, W. W. Marsh,
then president of the Iowa Dairy Separator Company, which later became
the Associated Manufacturers Company, one of the leading concerns of the
city. He has continued to be identified with this enterprise to the
present, and is now president, with offices and plant on Mullan Avenue.
The Associated Manufacturers Corporation was founded in 1909, although
the present corporation was effected in 1929. Besides the well known
Iowa Cream Separators they also manufacture the Chore Boy line of gasoline
engines, designed for farm use.
Mr. Plumb is numbered among the energetic and public-spirited business men
of the city and in an enthusiastic member of the Rotary Club. Politically
a Republican, he is one of the influential members of his party and has served
as a delegate to numerous state conventions. He was appointed postmaster
in 1929 by President Hoover. His service in this office was energetic
and constructive, much to the satisfaction of the people of his adopted
community. As a churchman Mr. Plumb was reared in the Episcopal faith,
and fraternally he belongs to the Delta Tau Delta college fraternity and
to Waterloo Lodge No. 290, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, in which
he has numerous friend. Mr. Plumb's career has been one in which the
homely virtues of industry and perseverance have played their part, and in
which civic pride and public spirit have been fully represented.
On October 17, 1906, Mr. Plumb was united in marriage with Miss Jessie Manson
Balliett, who was born at Waterloo, and is a daughter of Charles O. and Margaret
(Manson) Balliett. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church and takes
an active part in its work. She is also active in Woman's Club work,
P. E. O. and other local activities. She graduated in 1902 from the
Lake Forest Seminary at Lake Forest, Illinois.
ROY JOHN POOLEY is president and general manager of the Pooley Lumber
Company of Greene. This is a business that has been giving service
to that section of Butler County for a great many years. Under the
present management the service has been greatly expanded beyond the scope
indicated by its title. The company not only handles lumber and building
material, but also coal, carries a line of farm equipment, and also has a
department for handling live stock.
The president of the company is a graduate civil engineer and practiced his
profession for several years, until getting into his present business. He
was born on a farm in Floyd County, Iowa, three miles north of Greene, on
December 12, 1886, son of John B. and Priscilla (Fiddick) Pooley. John
B. Pooley was a native of Cornwall, England, but when a young man came
to America and first located at Rockford, Illinois. He was a hard working
farmer, acquired 160 acres of good Iowa soil, and had gone a long way toward
making ample provision for his family when an early death took him
away on October 12, 1890, at the age of thirty-six. He married at
Clarksville, Iowa, Miss Priscilla Fiddick. She was born in Capetown,
South Africa. Her father, James Fiddick, was an Englishman, a shipyard
mechanic in the Queen's navy and was sent to the shipyards at Capetown, where
he died while still in the service. After his death the widowed mother
and her nine children came to America, the daughter of Priscilla being then
twenty years of age. Roy John Pooley was just a child when his father
died. There were two other sons, Charles G., secretary and treasurer
of the Pooley Lumber Company, and James Wilfred, a farmer at Saint James,
Roy John Pooley during his boyhood had many working contracts with the farm,
but was given a liberal education. After graduating from the Greene
High School he attended the Iowa State College at Ames from 1906 to 1910,
graduating with the Civil Engineering degree. While at Ames he paid
part of his expenses working on the campus, assisting farmers in selling
silos and taking other jobs. He made a good student record and was
a member of the baseball and football teams. After graduating at Ames
he was city engineer at Charles City from 1910 to 1912. In that capacity
he had charge of the preliminary paving project at Charles City.
Mr. Pooley in 1912 came to Greene to join the Gates Lumber Company. The
owner of that business died during a session of the State Legislature while
serving as a senator. After his death Mr. Pooley took active charge
and conducted the business under his management from January, 1913, until
1919. The business was continued as the Pooley-Clark Lumber Company,
and since 1928 has been the Pooley Lumber Company, with Mr. Pooley as president.
Along with his business responsibilities he has kept in touch with public
affairs at Greene, has served on the city council and school board, is a
member of the Lions Club, an elder in the Presbyterian Church and for eighteen
years has taught one class in the Sunday School. His favorite subjects
of reading and studying are science and history, and he takes his recreation
at golf and other outdoor sports. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity
and Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Pooley married, on September 6, 1911, Nellie M. Stickney, daughter of
Will and Mary Stickney, of Greene. She attended high school there and
afterwards took a business course at Waterloo. They have four children:
S, Dwight, born May 8, 1913, and Eleanor Louise, born July 5, 1915,
both in high school; Mary Virginia, born June 12, 1918, and Paul Eugene,
born February 9, 1922.
WILLIAM F. POORMAN is one of the well known insurance actuaries in
the Middle West, and his abilities have attracted him to the capital of the
Iowa insurance world at Des Moines, where he is actuary for the Central Life
Mr. Poorman was born near Livingston, Montana, January 17, 1897, son of Jacob
L. and Nona (Cole) Poorman. His father was born in Wisconsin and his
mother in Missouri, and his father want out to Montana in the early days
and became a rancher and cattle man. He died in 1902 and his wife in
1908. He was a Republican in politics, a member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, and his wife was a Methodist, while he belonged to
the Christian denomination. Of their three children two are living,
William F. and Mildred, the latter the wife of Walter A. Fouts, a Montana
William F. Poorman graduated from the Park County, Montana, High School.
In the spring of 1918, when he was twenty-one years of age, he was
called to the colors and was in training with the Coast Artillery Corps at
Fortress Monroe, Virginia, until after the armistice. He now has rank
as second lieutenant in the Officers Reserve Corps. After leaving the
army he returned to the University of Michigan, and was graduated with the
A. B. degree in 1921 and with the Master of Arts degree in 1922. His
first experience in the insurance business was with the Lincoln National
Life Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana, with which he was employed for six months
before graduating from the University of Michigan. For three years
he was actuary for the Farmers National Life Insurance Company of Chicago,
and in December, 1925, removed to Des Moines as actuary of the Central Life
Mr. Poorman is a member of the Actuary Society of America, the American Institute
of Actuaries and the Casualty Actuary Society. he is a Knight Templar
Mason, member of the Wakonda Club and the Episcopal Church, while his wife
is a Presbyterian.
He married, December 22, 1923, Miss Zella Carr, daughter of J. H. Carr, of
Peru, Indiana. Her father is an accountant with the Wabash Railway
CHARLES F. PORT, D.D.S. Established professionally at Clinton,
Iowa, for more than a quarter of a century, Dr. Charles F. Port, dental surgeon,
is one of the leading practitioners of Clinton County, and is a past president
of the Clinton County Dental Society. Liberally educated, and thereby
well qualified for other vocations, he was yet in early manhood when he completed
his university course in dental surgery, and in 1903 entered into practice
at Clinton, in which beautiful city he has ever since maintained his home.
That he is still here, busy professionally, contented, universally
respected and standing high in his profession, may be due, perhaps, in part,
to his finding at Clinton a ready recognition of his skill that made it a
remunerative professional field and a pleasant material and social environment,
and became, ere long, a center where were formed the mutual ties of personal
esteem that have been lasting.
Dr. Charles F. Port is a native of Iowa, and was born in Cedar County, March
25, 1880, a son of Theodore and Susanna (Doehr) Port. Theodore Port
was born in Orange County, Ohio, whence he came to Iowa in 1856 and took
up his residence in Cedar County, where he was engaged in agricultural operations
during the remainder of his active and useful career, becoming through industry
one of the substantial men of his community. He is still the owner
of 160 acres of highly valuable and productive land, but is now living in
retirement at Wilton junction, Iowa, hale and hearty at the age of eighty-seven
years. Mr. Port married Miss Susanna Doehr, who in 1858 came to Iowa
with her parents, her father being a shoemaker who spent the rest of his
life at his trade at Wilton Junction. Like her husband, Mrs. Port is
in excellent health, although she has reached the age of eighty-five years.
They were the parents of four children: William, a retired farmer,
also living at Wilton Junction; Katherine, who is now deceased; Clara, the
wife of Park Walton, a prosperous farmer of Cedar County, died in December,
1930; and Charles F. of this review.
Charles F. Port attended the White Pigeon country school and the Wilton German
English College, following which he pursued a course at Professor Harris'
School of Commercial Law. He next entered the University of Iowa, where
he spent one year, and next enrolled as a student at the Chicago College
of Dental Surgery, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor
of Dental Surgery in the spring of 1903. In July of the same year he
established his home and office at Clinton, where he has since been in the
enjoyment of a constantly-increasing practice. As noted, he is recognized
as one of the most skilled diagnosticians, practitioners and operators in
this part of the state, and stands exceptionally high in his calling, being
a member of the District Dental Society and the Iowa State Dental Society,
and in 1929 was elected president of the Clinton County Dental Society.
Doctor Port is widely known in fraternal circles, being a York Mason,
a Scottish Rite Mason, a member of the Knights Templar Commandery at Clinton
and the Mystic Shrine at Davenport; and a past exalted ruler of Clinton Lodge
No. 199, B. P. O. Elks. He takes an active part in civic affairs, being
a past president of the Rotary Club, and also belongs to the Turner Society.
He holds membership in the Clinton Boat Club and his principal recreations
are fishing and hunting, the family spending the summer months at their cottage
on the lake in Northern Wisconsin. Doctor Port is a Republican, but
has not been an office-seeker or active in politics. With his family
he belongs to the First Presbyterian Church.
On October 4, 1905, Doctor Port was united in marriage with Miss Bessie M.
Reppy, of Clinton, daughter of James F. and Mildred D. (Parker) Reppy, lumber
people of Clinton, both of whom are now deceased. One daughter has
been born to Doctor and Mrs. Port: Marian Louise, twelve years of age,
a junior in the Clinton High School.
JOHN F. PORTERFIELD. However prodigal in her gifts, nature seldom
confers upon a single individual superior talents in more than one line of
endeavor. However there are exceptions to this rule and a notable one
is found in the case of Hon. John F. Porterfield, mayor of Hamburg, a leading
member of the Fremont County bar, and a talented and eloquent minister of
the Baptist faith. For many years he has been before the public as
a preacher and an attorney, and the people have learned to place implicit
faith and confidence in him. In the meanwhile he has contributed in
no small degree to the betterment and development of the communities in which
he has lived and labored.
Mr. Porterfield was born at Sharon, Pennsylvania, May 15, 1871, and is a
son of Rev. Samuel B. and Anges (Percy) Porterfield. His father, a
native of Ohio, was given excellent educational advantages in his youth,
including a course in a college of the United Brethren Church, and was still
a young man at the outbreak of the war between the states, in which he served
three years as a private in Company A, Twenty-Fifth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer
Infantry. At the close of the war he returned to Ohio and preached
for many years, but after the death of his wife there he went to Michigan,
where he spent the remainder of his life. They were the parents of
four children, of whom three are living: Rev. David, a Baptist preacher
of Jefferson, Ohio; Agnes, the wife of John Reid, a master mechanic in the
truck works at Alma, Michigan; and John F., of this review. Samuel
B. Porterfield was a Republican in politics and active in his party but not
as an office seeker. He belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic
and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
The public schools of St. Louis, Michigan, furnished John F. Porterfield
with his early education training, following which he took a correspondence
course of four years in theology and law and was ordained minister of the
Congregational Church at Mattison, Michigan, in 1896. He had commenced
preaching at the age of nineteen years, at Mattison, Michigan, where he remained
one year. Later he changed to the Methodist Protestant faith and continued
as a preacher thereof for four years, but eventually became a Baptist preacher
at Flint, Michigan, and has continued with that denomination to the present.
From Flint he went to Pennsylvania, where he held several charges,
and while there commenced to read law in a law office at Linesville.
Subsequently he removed to Columbia City, Indiana, where he read law
under J. Blooms, and after an examination in open court in Indiana was admitted
to practice December 11, 1910. He was immediately appointed county
attorney of Whitley County, Indiana, but after about a year came to Page
County, Iowa, to supply a church at Essex, and was admitted to practice in
Iowa in September, 1912, and to practice before the Federal courts in December,
1920. In 1913 Mr. Porterfield was appointed deputy revenue collector
and held office at Council Bluffs and Des Moines. He was next transferred
to the department of justice and held office at Des Moines and Chicago.
Mr. Porterfield has been a resident of Fremont County since 1920, and
during all these years has divided his time between preaching and practicing
his profession. He has a large and prominent clientele as a lawyer
and is a member of the Fremont County Bar Association, the Iowa State Bar
Association and the American Bar Association. A Democrat in politics,
he has always been a leader in his party and has been chairman of the Page
and Fremont Democratic county committees and chairman of the Eighth District
committee for seven years, being at present chairman of the Fremont County
committee. On a number of occasions he has been his party's candidate
for high offices, being defeated only because of the preponderance of Republican
voters in this locality. In March, 1929, he was elected mayor of Hamburg,
and is giving his fellow-citizens a splendid administration. During
the Spanish-American war Mr. Porterfield enlisted in the army, but was not
called upon for active service. He served for a number of years as
vice commander of the Sons of Veterans. Fraternally he is a Scottish
On May 27, 1891, Mr. Porterfield was united in marriage with Miss Hattie
M. Hill, who was born at Missouri Valley, Iowa, and is a graduate of the
high school of Coldwater, Michigan, and to this union there have been born
the following children: Harold B., a graduate in liberal arts and law
of the University of Nebraska, who spent six months at the Naval Academy
at Annapolis, received a diploma, and was an ensign in the United States
navy for fifteen months during the World war, engaged in convoy service,
has been admitted to practice law in Iowa, but is employed as district manager
for the Aetna Life Insurance Company, of Lincoln, Nebraska; Zada, the wife
of R. G. Richner, connected with the Goodrich Tire Company at Rockford, Illinois;
Jean, a graduate of Des Moines University and the University of Nebraska,
who resides at home; Ruth, a graduate of the University of Nebraska, who
is employed in the office of the county engineer at Sidney, Iowa; John, a
graduate of Hamburg High School, who entered the University of Nebraska in
the fall of 1929; and Russell, a graduate of the local high school.
HON. RALPH POWERS, judge of the Municipal Court of Des Moines, has
the distinction of being the youngest man to sit in this court, and as its
judge he is proving his ability and his knowledge of the law, and at the
same time administrating justice impartially to all classes. He was
born at Chariton, Iowa, March 20, 1894, a son of Fred and Zora (Holmes) Powers,
both of whom were born at Chariton. They are now residents of Des Moines,
and highly regarded by their fellow citizens.
For many years the father worked as an iron smelter. He and his wife
had eight children born to them, of whom Judge Powers is the eldest. The
parents are active members of the Church of Christ, and he is an honored
brother in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. As a Republican he
is a well known figure in politics. The Powers family is a pioneer
one in Iowa, in which state the grandparents, W. C. and Emily (Blair) Powers,
came before it was admitted to the Union, from Ohio where both had been born.
They had a strange experience on their trip to their new home. While
crossing the Mississippi River on a ferry boat the wagon fell off the ferry,
but the horses swam to shore, dragging the wagon behind them, so that the
loss was small one.
It is a difficult matter for the present generation to understand the dangers
and hardships of the pioneer period, because all of those conditions have
passed with the progress along all lines and the settlement of the country.
Where once there were but a few huts, today are either large commercial
communities or well cultivated farms, and in view of this extraordinary progress
one cannot but admire the intelligence, zeal and perseverance of the ones
who blazed the way for succeeding generations. Existence on what was
the frontier when the grandparents of Judge Powers came to Iowa was full
of the tragedy of Indian warfare, but this has been softened by peace and
religion. In that struggle of the pioneers, when man pitted himself
against primeval forest and aboriginal inhabitant, the strongest types of
manhood and womanhood were evolved. W. C. Powers and his wife settled
at Eddyville, Iowa, and there for a number of years he managed a lumber company,
and in spite of his hard work and tireless energy, lived to be eighty-four
years of age, and the grandmother lived to reach the same venerable age.
The maternal grandparents of Judge Powers, W. S. and Eliza (Shutt)
Holmes, natives of Southern Ohio, moved to Iowa at a very early day and settled
at Chariton, where he engaged in farming. His death occurred from cancer
when he was seventy-seven years old. Of the twelve children born to
him and his wife eleven are living.
Judge Powers attended the public schools of Ottumwa, Iowa, and was graduated
from Drake University in 1917, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, and
immediately thereafter entered upon the practice of his profession at Des
Moines, and his success is all the more remarkable from the fact that he
has made his own way in life, having worked his way through both high school
and the university.
On August 27, 1917, Judge Powers enlisted for service in the World war, and
went to the Officers Training Camp at Fort Snelling, where he remained for
ninety days, after which he was assigned to the Fortieth Infantry at Fort
Sheridan, Illinois, where he continued until in February, 1918, at which
time he was transferred to the Camp Stanley, Texas. In August of that
same year he was sent to Camp Perry, Ohio, where he remained for thirty days,
after which he was transferred to Camp Travis, Texas, and placed in the
Fifty-third Field Artillery and kept at that point until early in November,
when he entered the School of Fire, Fort Sill, Oklahoma, where he remained
for ninety days, after which he was sent back to Camp Travis. Through
all of these changes he held the rank of a second lieutenant. In February,
1919, he was honorably discharged, and returned to his law practice at Des
Moines in April, 1920. From 1923 to 1925 he was captain of the local
company of the Iowa National Guard, and he has taken an active part in the
American Legion. Under Vernon R. Seeberger he served as assistant state's
attorney for four years, and then, March 26, 1928, he was elected judge of
the Municipal Court of Des Moines, which office he is still holding.
On January 18, 1924, Judge Powers married Miss Helen Sheely, who was born
at Des Moines and educated in its high school. She is a daughter of
Jesse and Josephine E. (Wheeler) Sheely, members of pioneer families of Iowa.
Mr. Sheely served as a soldier in the Civil war, and by occupation
was a bridge builder, having constructed some of the first bridges in Iowa
and Nebraska. Judge and Mrs. Powers are both active members of the
Christian Church. He is a Scottish-Rite Mason in fraternal connections,
and a Republican politically. His associates recognize the fact that
Judge Powers possesses a brilliant intellectuality, is clear and cool in
judgment, and has a fine discriminating ability, which admirable qualities
result in giving to his official life a direction that is wise and beneficial
along many lines of usefulness.
AARON V. PROUDFOOT has been for thirty years established in teh practice
of law at Indianola, judicial center of Warren County, and in addition of
being one of the representative members of the bar of this city and county
he is also president of Worth Savings Bank and is valued as a loyal and public
Mr. Proudfoot, a representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of
Iowa, was born at Liberty, Clarke County, this state, June 13, 1862, and
is a son of Jacob and Cyrena (VanScoy) Proudfoot, of whose family of five
sons and two daughters only three are now living: W. T., a resident
of Yakima, Washington; C. F., of Osceola, Iowa; and Aaron V., of this
After profiting by the advantages of the public schools of his native county
Aaron V. Proudfoot entered Simpson College at Indianola, and in this institution
he was a member of the class of 1884. In this city he then studied
law in the office of Creighton & Hays and later in that of the law firm
of Hall & Hartman. He thus thoroughly grounded himself in the science
of jurisprudence, and his technical reinforcement was augmented by his six
years of service as clerk of the District Court. He was admitted to
the bar in 1899, has since continued in the practice of his profession at
Indianola, and his personality and his achievement mark him as one of the
leading members of the bar of Warren County.
Mr. Proudfoot is a stalwart in the ranks of the Republican party, and he
represented his district in the State Senate during the general legislative
assemblies designated as the Thirty-third, Thirty-fourth, Thirty-seventh
and Thirty-eighth, besides having been influential also in the work of special
sessions held within this period. He was a member of the Iowa Senate
at the time of the election of Hon. A. B. Cummins to the United States Senate,
and he once served as presidential elector from Iowa on the ticket of his
party. As president of the Board of Trustees he is giving loyal service
to his alma mater, Simpson College, which is maintained under the auspices
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he and his wife are zealous members,
he having been a delegate to four of the general conferences of the church,
in which connection he was made a member of the Episcopal committee. He
is a lay member of the World Service Commission from the Omaha area of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, including the states of Iowa and Nebraska. Mr.
Proudfoot is one of the veteran and honored members of the Warren County
Bar Association and has membership also in the Iowa State Bar Association.
He is a past grand master of the Iowa Grand Lodge of the Ancient Order
of United Workmen, and has membership in the Monday Club, the first literary
club to be organized in Indianola.
Reverting to Jacob Proudfoot, father of the subject of this sketch, it is
to be noted that he was born and reared in West Virginia and that he thence
came to Iowa in the year 1855. He gained pioneer honors in Clarke County,
having served in the State Legislature. He reclaimed and developed
a farm and also followed his trade, that of blacksmith, his service in the
work of this ancient craft having covered a period of fully sixty years.
He was one of the revered pioneer citizens of Liberty, Clarke County,
at the time of his death in 1899, and his widow passed to life eternal in
1919, both having been devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In conclusion is given brief record concerning the domestic chapter in the
career of Aaron V. Proudfoot. On the 10th of May, 1885, was solemnized
his marriage with Miss Louie L. Posegate, who likewise was born and
reared in Iowa and who is a daughter of the late Eli and Rebecca V. (Haworth)
Posegate. Mrs. Proudfoot was graduated from the Indianola High School
and was also a student in Simpson College, and she has long been a gracious
figure in the social cultural and church life of her home city. Charity
M., elder of the two children of Mr. and Mrs. Proudfoot, is the widow of
John M. Hillis, of Hillsburg, Indiana, and now maintains her home in Indianola,
her children being Ruth, Mary L., Richard A. and John E. Edwin V.,
younger of the two children of Mr. and Mrs. Proudfoot, was graduated from
the University of Chicago, and is now engaged in the fidelity bond business
in the City of Davenport, Iowa, the maiden name of his wife having been Mary