IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
CHARLES CORBIN YANCEY, M. D.
Among those who are worthily upholding the prestige of the medical profession in Sioux City stands Dr. Charles Corbin Yancey, who specializes in internal medicine and diagnosis and who has attained a commanding position in the medical ranks of this section of the state. Dr. Yancey was born in Armstrong, Missouri, on the 3d of March, 1891, and is a son of Leighton B. and Harriet B. (Corbin) Yancey, the father a native of Armstrong and the mother of Liberty, Missouri, their marriage occurring in the latter place in 1890. The father is now engaged in the livestock commission business in Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Yancey attended the public schools of Armstrong, Liberty and Chicago, graduating from high school in the latter city in 1909. Following the completion of his studies he entered the employ of the International Harvester Company, working in the sales department for seven years. During that time he made enough money through speculation to complete his education, and he then entered the University of Chicago, graduating in 1916, with the degree of Bachelor of Science, making the four-year course in three years and receiving the cum laude award. During his last two years in the university he also carried on the study of medicine and in 1921 was given the M. D. degree by Rush Medical College, the medical school of the University of Chicago. He then went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and served a year's interneship in the Allegheny General Hospital and also took research work at the Singer Memorial Laboratory. On August 1, 1922, he came to Sioux City and took over Dr. John W. Shuman's practice and has since devoted himself closely to his profession, building up a large and lucrative practice and gaining a high place among the successful physicians of this locality.
In 1921 Dr. Yancey was united in marriage to Miss Esther McClanahan, of Columbus, Mississippi, who was graduated from the University of Chicago with the Bachelor of Science degree in 1920 and Doctor of Medicine degree in 1921. They are the parents of a son, David Stewart, born December 26, 1923. The Doctor is a member of the Woodbury County Medical Society, the Northwestern Iowa Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He and his wife are members of the First Christian church. The Doctor is a man of pleasing address and strong individuality, possesses to a marked degree those qualities which win regard, and his friends are legion.
CHARLES EUGENE YEUTTER
Charles Eugene Yeutter, who is numbered among the most substantial and progressive business men of Spirit Lake, found no royal road to success, which he has attained only by indefatigable and long-continued effort and by the exercise of sound judgment in taking advantage of opportunities that came his way. Born in Wurtemberg, Germany, on the 20 of February, 1877, he is a son of Gottlob and Frederika (Bauer) Yeutter. His mother died while he was still a child in his native land and when he was a lad of fifteen years he accompanied his father to the United States. He stopped in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, while his father came on west to South Dakota, locating first at Garrettson, but later moving to Sioux Falls. He was a shoemaker by trade and followed that occupation after coming to this country. He died, as the result of an accident, in Sioux Falls in 1898.
Charles E. Yeutter went to work in a bakery in Philadelphia, learning the trade, and remained in that city six years. In 1898 he came west to Sioux Falls, where for about seven years he was employed at various occupations. In 1905 he bought a bakery in that city, in the operation of which he met with success that three years later he bought a block of land and a building in the business section of the town. He was employed as a baker in Watseka, Minnesota, for two years and eight months and after an absence of three years he returned to Iowa. Going to Emmetsburg, he bought a lot and erected a building, in which he conducted a bakery for six years. In 1921 he sold that business, retaining his property, and became a traveling representative of the Northwestern Consolidated Milling Company, selling Ceresota flour. He followed that line of work for about two years and in September, 1923, he bought his present bakery in Spirit Lake, in the operation of which he has been successful. He is now regarded as one of the most progressive and wide-awake business men of the city.
In 1904 Mr. Yeutter was married to Miss Rose Dumke, who was born in Turner county, South Dakota, and they have three children, Eugene Jacob, Lillian Helen and Wilbur Howard, the first two in high school. In 1924 Mr. Yeutter built a fine modern bungalow in Spirit Lake, as he expects to rear his family here because of the excellent educational facities. He is a member of Minnehaha Lodge, No. 5, A. F. and A. M., at Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Earnest Chapter, R. A. M., and Medean Lodge, No. 250, I. O. O. F. He belongs to the Spirit Lake Commercial Club and cooperates with his fellow citizens in all efforts to advance the prosperity and welfare of the community. He is an active member of the Presbyterian church and has so ordered his actions as to earn the sincere admiration of all who know him.
HENRY YOUNG, M. D.
Northwestern Iowa has just reason to take pride in the personnal of her corps of medical men from the early days in its history to the present time, an don the roll of honored names of those who through the years have rendered distinguished service in both professional and civic life, that of Dr. Henry Young occupies a prominent place. He has long held distinctive prestige among the medical men of this section of the state and has achieved a worthy success, his ability and devotion to his calling being recognized and appreciated not only in Manson, but also throughout the northern part of the state. Born in Ogle county, Illinois, on the 16th of June, 1846, he is a son of William and Nancy (Long) Young. His parents were born, reared and married in Maryland, and in 1840 came west to Ogle county, where they settled on a farm, where they spent their remaining years.
Henry Young received his preliminary education in the public schools of Ogle county and in Rock River Seminary of Mount Morris, Illinois, and then attended one course of medical lectures at the University of Michigan. he next entered the Chicago Medical College (now the medical school of Northwestern University), where he was graduated, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, in 1872. He entered upon active practice in Oregon, Illinois, where he remained about six months, and then came to Manson, Iowa, where he has practiced for fifty-four years. Ostensibly he has retired, but many of his patients, whose families he has attended through the second and third generations, still insist on his service to them, and he finds it impossible to absolutely retire. On the fiftieth anniversary of the beginning of his practice in Manson, the medical society of Calhoun county celebrated the occasion at his home, all of the physicians of the county meeting at a dinner in his honor. Doctor Young passed through all the experiences of the pioneer physician, many of which were not pleasant or agreeable. During the wet seasons, when the early roads were impassable for a buggy, he rode horseback, his practice covering a radius of twenty miles from Manson, and when the going was too bad for his horse he went afoot. Neither swollen streams which he had to ford, storm nor blizzard deterred him from going when a call came for him and perhaps few people fully appreciate the measure of faithful and unselfish service which he rendered in those days. Possessing a wide medical learning, embracing both theoretical knowledge and practical experience, combined with sincerity and faithfulness in his work, he has been an ideal physician and has well merited the honored place which he hold in public esteem.
Doctor Young has been married twice. In 1877 he wedded Miss Jean Glover, of Manson, and to them were born three children, namely: John William, who is engaged in the produce business in Manson; Albert Leslie, who is a radio engineer in the service of the federal government; and Edna, who is the wife of R. A. Bloker, of Cedar Falls, Iowa. The mother of these children died in 1887, and the Doctor was subsequently married to Miss Etta Leavenworth, of Montrose, Iowa, who is a graduate of Coe College and for seven years prior to her marriage was a teacher in the public schools. To this marriage was born a son, Henry Leavenworth, who is an attorney at Storm Lake, Iowa, is a veteran of the World war, having served in France, and is now commander of the American Legion post at Storm Lake.
Doctor Young has always maintained a deep interest in public affairs and was one of the first men in northwestern Iowa to fight for drainage, being president of the State Drainage Association for several years. He was elected to the lower house of the state legislature, serving through the twenty-fourth and twenty-fifth sessions of the general assembly, and later served as a member of the state senate through the thirtieth, thirty-first and thirty-second and thirty-second extra session. While a member of the senate he had the pleasure of helping to enact a drainage law, for which he had so long worked. He is a member of the Calhoun County Medical Society and the Iowa State Medical Society, and belongs to the Iowa Historical Society. He and his wife are earnest members of the Congregational church, to which he has always given generous support. He served three terms as mayor of Manson and was the first president of the Calhoun County State Bank. A useful factor in the world's work and a man of well-rounded character, sincere, devoted and loyal, he well merits the exalted place which he has long held in the hearts of his fellow citizens of Calhoun county.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index