IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
G. M. VICKERS
Few members of the Sioux City Live Stock Exchange are as well known as George M. Vickers, senior member of the live stock commission firm of Vickers, Herman & Vickers. A man of tireless energy, keen perception and honesty of purpose, he has long been regarded as a leader in his particular field of effort and enjoys the universal esteem of all who know him. Mr. Vickers was born in Boone county, Illinois, on the 23d of August, 1870, and is a son of James and Christiana (Marshall) Vickers, the father a native of Scotland and the mother of England. They came to the United States at the respective ages of twenty-seven and sixteen years and were married at Caledonia, Illinois. The father enlisted for service in the Civil war and at its close came to Iowa, homesteading a farm in Sioux county in the fall of 1870. He there created a splendid farm and spent the remaining years of his life there, dying at the age of eighty-one years. He was survived by his widow, who lived to the age of eighty-seven years.
Georg M. Vickers attended the public schools and completed his studies in Hull Academy, a Congregational school at Hull, Iowa. He remained on the home farm until thirty years of age, the place having been turned over to him by his father at the time of his marriage. In 1900 he engaged in the live stock business as a country buyer, making his headquarters in Hull, and continued in that line until February, 1908, when he moved to Sioux City and for about a year speculated as a yard trader. He then entered the employ of the C. L. Craighead Commission Company, remaining with that concern until October, 1910, when he went to work for the Charles R. Rice Commission Company. In December of that year this firm was succeeded by Swanson & Gilmore, with whom Mr. Vickers remained until June 15, 1911, at which time he formed the firm of Kloek & Vickers. In October, 1916, he became sole owner of the business, which was operated as the George M. Vickers Commission Company until March 1, 1921, when the present firm of Vickers, Herman & Vickers was organized, and is now recognized as one of the leading live stock commission firms on the Exchange. Mr. Vickers is a man of shrewd judgment, quick decision and sound business methods and has so conducted his affairs as to command the confidence of all who have had dealings with him. He has been an active worker in the affairs of the Exchange, which he served one year as president, one year as vice-president and three years as a member of the board of directors. He has also served three years as a member of the board of directors of the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce, being at this time a member of that body.
On September 20, 1892, Mr. Vickers was united in marriage to Miss Hattie E. Hodge, of George, Iowa. Mr. Vickers is a member of Morningside Lodge, No. 615, A. F. & A. M., of which he is a past master, and is now secretary of the board of trustees; Sunrise Chapter, No. 141, R. A. M., of which he is high priest; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.; Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; and a member of Abu-Bekr Mounted Patrol. Socially, he is a member of the Morningside Country Club, of which he was formerly president and has been a director for the past ten years. He and his wife are active members of Grace Methodist Episcopal church, to which he gives liberal support. During the World war Mr. Vickers served as chairman of the Liberty loan and war savings stamp drives, and was in charge of the stock yards district. Personally he is a man of genial and friendly manner, is generous in his support of all worthy causes and is deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare and advancement of his community.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index