IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
M. L. RAFFERTY
One of the most successful and best known commercial houses of Sioux City is that of the Rafferty Wall Paper & Paint Company, of which Maxwell L. Rafferty is the president and active manager. Though comparatively a recent comer, he has gained a high reputation here for business ability and sound judgment and his position in business ability and sound judgment and his position in business circles is enviable. Mr. Rafferty was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 9, 1886, and is a son of Gilbert T. and Harriett (Oliver) Rafferty, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. For many years the father was prominently identified with business affairs, being the owner of extensive coal interests, but eventually retired from business and spent his time in traveling for the benefit of his health.
Maxwell L. Rafferty attended the public schools and a private school in Pittsburgh, and prepared for college at Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts. He then entered Yale University and won the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1910. In the following year he went to Kansas City, Missouri, where he was connected with the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company three years. He was then made manager of the New Orleans branch of that business, remaining in the south from 1914 to 1918, when he returned to Kansas City, continuing with the same company until 1922. In that year he came to Sioux City and organized the firm of Rafferty, Klewer & Company, which took over the business of the Anderson Wall Paper & Paint Company, Mr. Rafferty becoming president of the new concern. The venture proved successful and in 1924 the firm was reorganized under the name of the Rafferty Wall Paper & Paint Company, Mr. Rafferty still remaining at the head of the business. This is one of the largest companies in its line in northwestern Iowa and has an extensive trade extending over a wide territory. Because of sound business principles and square dealing, the company has gained an enviable reputation for reliability and trustworthiness.
On May 19, 1915, in New Orleans, Louisiana, Mr. Rafferty was united in marriage to Miss DeEtta Cox, daughter of S. P. Cox, of Kansas City, Missouri. To them have been born two children, Maxwell Lewis, Jr., and Frances Anne. Politically Mr. Rafferty is a stanch supporter of the republican party and takes a proper interest in public affairs. He is a member of the Sioux City Country Club, the Kiwanis Club and the Chamber of Commerce and is a communicant of the Roman Catholic church. Hunting and fishing are his favorite means of recreation and he maintains a camp in the Canadian woods. Personally Mr. Rafferty is a man of strong individuality, honest in motive and earnest in all that he does and doing well whatever he undertakes.
P. E. RANDALL
Though more than a score of years have elapsed since Peter E. Randall passed from earthly scenes to the life triumphant, he is still well remembered as one of the most prominent, successful and public-spirited men of his day in Clay county. He had been an able and loyal public official and in the closing years of his life proved an influential power for good through the columns of the Clay County News, which he owned and edited, so that any history touching on the achievements of the representative men of this section of the state would be incomplete without mention of him. Mr. Randall was born in New York state in April, 1843, and was a son of Richard and Maria (Emery) Randall, who were natives of Canada and were parents of seven children, of whom the survivors are Mary and Nancy Randall.
Peter E. Randall received a good public school education and then moved to Barton, Wisconsin, where he took up a homestead. At the opening of the Civil war he offered his services to his country, enlisting at the age of eighteen years in the Second Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He served throughout the war and on being mustered out returned to his former home in Wisconsin, where he lived until 1870, when he came to Clay county, Iowa, with which locality he was identified to the time of his death. He successfully engaged in teh hardware business and was later appointed postmaster, in which position he served several years. He was then elected county treasurer, discharging the duties of that responsible office with faithfulness and fidelity, and afterward became the first cashier of the First National Bank of Spencer. However, because of continued ill health, he was compelled to resign the latter position and turned his attention to the newspaper business, buying the Clay County News, to the publication of which he devoted his attention until his death, which occurred December 12, 1905.
On January 2, 1866, at Barton, Wisconsin, Mr. Randall was united in marriage to Miss Mary Jane Van Epps, who is the daughter of Evart and Clarissa (Clark) Van Epps, both of whom were natives of New York state. Her father, who was a building contractor, died in Little Rock, Arkansas, and was survived by his widow, who died in Clay county. They were the parents of four children, George, Eva, Hattie and Mary Jane, all deceased except the last named. To Mr. and Mrs. Randall was born a daughter, Mrs. F. M. Teetle, of Spencer. Politically Mr. Randall was an ardent supporter of the republican party and was actively interested in public affairs. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while his religious faith was that of the Baptist church. He stood at all times for the best things in community life, supporting all movements for the public welfare, and just as persistently opposing everything that was detrimental to the general good. Candid and straightforward in manner, sincere and loyal in all of life's relations, he well merited and exalted place which he held in the estimation of his fellow citizens.
H. W. REDMAN
The life of Hiram W. Redman is replete with many interesting experiences and at the venerable age of seventy-eight years he is rounding out a long and honorable career at Cherokee, enjoying the peace and contentment that results from teh knowledge of tasks well performed and the faithful discharge of duty. He was born August 16, 1848, in Ypsilanti, Michigan, and is the second of the five children in the family of Thomas and Jane (Wilson) Redman. The others are Frances, the widow of Andrew Troutneer, of Charles City, Iowa; Catherine, who married Daniel Rittsch, now deceased, and is living in Washta, Iowa; Annie, the widow of Scott Scoles, of Cedar Falls, Iowa; and John W., a resident of Lawler, this state. The mother was born in London, England, and the father was a native of New York state. He was a cabinet maker and a master craftsman.
When Hiram W. Redman was a child of three his parents settled in Wisconsin and he was reared and educated in the Badger state, in which he lived until 1863. When a youth of fifteen his patriotic spirit prompted him to offer his aid to the Union, and for one and half years he was a soldier in the Thirty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was a gallant defender of the Stars and Stripes and was detailed to guard those implicated in the assassination of President Lincoln. After his discharge Mr. Redman returned to Wisconsin. His father being dead, he and his mother started for Iowa in September, 1865, in a covered wagon, and crossed the Mississippi river at McGregor. About the last of the month they reached Bradford and located near the "little brown church in the vale," where Mr. Redman lived until the fall of 1878, when he removed to O'Brien county, Iowa, and in March, 1880, located near Aurelia, Cherokee county. Since 1908 he has resided at his present home in Cherokee.
On February 9, 1873, Mr. Redman married Miss Violetta Watkin, who shared with him life's joys and sorrows for fifty years, and on July 16th, 1923, she responded to the final summons. Five children were born to them: Myrtie, the wife of Ira Fountain, of Linn Grove, Iowa; Henry Warren, who lives in Cherokee; Edith May, now Mrs. Andrew Sutton, of Cherokee; Pearl, the wife of William Mumert, of Cherokee; and Andrew Jesse, who also resides in this community. Mr. Redman is a member of Custer Post, No. 25, of the Grand Army of the Republic, and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. He is in complete sympathy with every worthy public project and has many steadfast friends in this locality.
E. P. REILLY
One of the most prominent figures in the live stock business in Sioux City is Edward P. Reilly, of the firm of Reilly & Sullivan, live stock dealers, and president of the Traders Live Stock Exchange. He is a native son of Iowa, born in Harrison county, on the 2d of July, 1866, his parents being Joseph W. and Margaret (Long) Reilly, the former born at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, while the latter was a native of County Kilkenny, Ireland. In boyhood the father ran away from home with a companion to enlist in the Mexican war. His chum succeeded in enlisting but he was not accepted because of his age. After teh war he came up the Missouri river to Kanesville, where he arrived in 1849 and early in the '50s he continued his journey to Sioux City. On the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted and was still in the army at the time of his marriage, in 1864. After his discharge from the army he and his wife came to the Missouri valley, settling on a farm in Harrison county, where he resided to the time of his death.
Edward P. Reilly attended the public schools, though the greater part of his education has been secured in the hard school of experience. He remained on the home farm until nineteen years of age, when in 1885 he rented a farm in Woodbury county, which he operated on his own account for fourteen years. In 1899 he came to Sioux City and began trading in live stock, in which he was so successful that in 1906 he formed a partnership with William Sullivan, under the firm name of Reilly & Sullivan, and they have continued in business to the present time, dealing mainly in "stockers" and "feeders." They have prospered to a very gratifying degree and are regarded as one of the leading livestock trading firms in this city. Mr. Reilly was honored by election to the presidency of the Traders Live Stock Exchange, which position he is now holding for his twelfth year, and he has served twenty-two years as a member of the board of directors of the Sioux City Live Stock Exchange. He is also one of five members of the National Live Stock Exchange practice commission, appointed by Secretary of Agriculture Wallace, the other members of the commission being, Howard Gore, then assistant secretary of agriculture, and now governor of the West Virginia; Everett Brown, of Chicago; Thomas Cross, of Chicago; and William O. Tagg, of Omaha.
Mr. Reilly is a member of Sioux City Lodge, No. 112, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, and Epiphany Council, No. 743, Knights of Columbus. He is a communicant of Epiphany Cathedral Roman Catholic church, to which he gives liberal support. He takes an interest in public affairs and has served two years as a member of the city council. No worthy cause ever appeals to him in vain, for he is essentially public spirited, lending his influence to any measure which promises to be of material benefit to the community. For these reasons, as well as for his friendly manner, he is well deserving of the esteem which is accorded him throughout the city in which he lives.
William Rhule had been a resident of northwestern Iowa for more than four decades when he departed this life on the 13th of February, 1923, in the eighty-eighth year of his age, and had devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits with excellent success throughout his active career. His birth occurred in Perry county, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of August, 1835, his parents being Jacob and Margaret (Cunningham) Rhule, the former a native of Holland, while the latter was born in Perry county, Pennsylvania, in 1815, and came of German-Irish lineage.
William Rhule acquired a common school education in his youth and remained a resident of the Keystone state until forty-six years of age. It was in 1881 that he removed to Sac county, Iowa, where he remained for three years, while from 1884 until 1892 he lived within the borders of Ida county, this state. He then returned to Sac county, where he continued to reside for thirty-one years or until called to his final rest. As above indicated, Mr. Rhule was actively engaged in farming pursuits during his business career, and his well directed labors brought him a competence that enabled him to spend the evening of life in honorable retirement at Odebolt, Sac county.
On the 15th of January, 1863, at Landisburg, Pennsylvania, Mr. Rhule was united in marriage to Delilah V. Cree, who was there born on the 8th of June, 1840. Her parents, Samuel and Ann (Brandt) Cree, where likewise natives of the Keystone state, the former born at Landisburg in 1815 and the latter at Millerstown in 1814. Mrs. Delilah V. (Cree) Rhule was a descendant of Jacob Wagner, who emigrated from Germany to Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1732, and who saw service in the Revolutionary war together with several sons.
Mr. and Mrs. William Rhule reared a family of three sons and three daughters, as follows: Charles, who resides at Wickes, Montana; Anna, the wife of Abner L. Chandler, of Odebolt, Iowa; Laura A., who is the wife of W. T. Lynch and makes her home at Ida Grove, this state; Scott, who wedded Mildred Petersen and resides at Odebolt, Iowa; Harry, who married Mae Heiberger and who lives in Idaho Falls, Idaho; and Mary, the wife of Charles Collenbaugh, of Odebolt, Iowa. The father of the above named gave his political support to the republican party and was widely recognized as one of the representative and highly esteemed citizens as well as substantial agriculturists of this part of the state. His life was an upright and honorable one in every relation and his death brought a sense of bereavement not only to the members of his immediate family but also to an extensive circle of friends.
E. K. RICE
Among the men who in their respective fields of effort are contributing to the commercial and industrial prosperity of Sioux City, specific mention should here be made of Edwin K. Rice, the able and successful vice-president and manager of the Johnson Biscuit Company. He was born in Clinton, Wisconsin, on the 14th of May, 1874, and is the fourth in order of birth of the five children of Albert C. and Sarah E. (Kennedy) Rice, natives of Illinois, who in an early day moved to Wisconsin, where the father was for a number of years engaged in mercantile business. Later he became a traveling salesman, which vocation he followed up to the time of his death, which occurred in Beloit, Wisconsin, about 1901. In 1887 the family moved to Mitchell, South Dakota, remaining there about four years, and in 1891 came to Sioux City. Eventually they returned to Beloit, Wisconsin, and after the father's death the mother moved to Evanston, Illinois, where she died in 1926.
Edwin K. Rice received his educational training in the public schools of Wisconsin and South Dakota. He came to Sioux City with the family in 1891 and entered the employ of the Tolerton & Stetson Company, now the Tolerton & Warfield Company, remaining with that concern until 1896, when he went to Fort Dodge, Iowa, where he became a department manager for the Fort Dodge Grocery Company. In 1910 he returned to Sioux City and became a department manager for the Tolerton & Warfield Company, with whom he remained five years, at the end of which time he became identified with the Johnson Biscuit Company, of which he was made vice-president, and the following year was also made manager, bot of which offices he is still holding. He is a man of sound business judgment, progressive in his ideas and energetic in his methods, so that his record in the direction of the operations of the company with which he is identified has been one of which he may justifiably be proud.
On September 28, 1899, in Mitchell, South Dakota, Mr. Rice was united in marriage to Miss Edith S. Anderson, the daughter of George and Ann (Holmes) Anderson. Mr. Rice is a member of the Morningside Country Club, the Midland Confectionery Association, of which he was president in 1921, and the National Confectioners' Association, being a member of its executive committee in 1921-22.l He belongs to the First Presbyterian church. He has taken a commendable interest in local public affairs, particularly such as relate to the advancement of his community, and stands on the right side of every moral issue. Because of his well rounded character, his business success and his genial social relations, he has long held an enviable place in public esteem and is regarded as one of the representative men of his city.
M. O. RIEDESEL
Marc O. Riedesel, secretary and treasurer of the Engleson Abstract Company, of Sioux City, was born at Oto, Iowa, on the 19th day of September, 1896, and is a son of Paul G. and Rose (Frieden) Riedesel. His father, who was born and reared in Clinton county, Iowa, removed to Oto in 1890 and engaged in the banking business. He became a man of prominence and influence in teh community and held the office of mayor. Eventually, on retiring from active business, he moved to Sioux City, where he and his wife are now living. The mother was born in Switzerland, whence in young girlhood she was brought to the United States by her parents, who settled near Muscatine, Iowa, later moving to Charter Oak, and then to Denison, Iowa.
Marc O. Riedesel received his elementary education in the public schools of Oto and Onawa, and then engaged in teaching school in Woodbury county. Later he entered Drake University, where he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1919, and immediately afterwards came to Sioux City and has since been identified with the Engleson Abstract Company. He was made secretary and treasurer of the company in 1921, in which capacity he is still serving. He has proven himself a man of sterling character and reliable business ability and enjoys the full confidence of all who have had dealings with him.
Politically Mr. Riedesel gives his earnest support to the republican party and takes a commendable interest in all affairs affecting the welfare of his community. He is a member of Smithland Lodge, No. 289, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Sioux City Consistory No. 5, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; and Abu-Bekr Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to the Riverside Boat Club and the Phi Beta Kappa college fraternity, while his religious connection is with the Lutheran church. While a young man he has made steady progress in business and what he has already accomplished augurs well for the future.
A. T. RIGBY
Allen T. Rigby, a veteran of the Civil and Indian wars and one of Iowa's honored pioneers, was long identified with agricultural operations. He is now enjoying the fruits of his former labors and is spending the sunset period of life in Cherokee, having reached the venerable age of eighty-five years. He was born November 7, 1840, in Richland county, Ohio, and was but a year old when his mother died. The father subsequently remarried and when a boy of eight Mr. Rigby left home, taking up his abode with another family. He was a member of their household until 1858, when he made his way to Cedar county, Iowa, where he had relatives. On April 16, 1861, when a young man of twenty-one, he entered the Union army, in which he served for three months as a member of Company K, First Iowa Infantry. He then reenlisted, joining the Third Colorado Cavalry, and engaged in fighting Indians in the west until 1864, when he was honorably discharged at Denver. Mr. Rigby then returned to Cedar county, Iowa, and in May, 1870, located in Cherokee county, securing a homestead of eighty acres. He improved the property and as his means permitted purchased additional tracts until he eventually became the owner of a half section of arable land, on which he erected a comfortable home and substantial buildings for the shelter of grain and stock. His work was carefully planned and he brought to the operation of his farm an expert knowledge of the details of agricultural science and a progressive, open mind. As the years passed he accumulated a sum sufficient for his needs and in 1895 moved to Cherokee, where he has since lived retired.
On March 17, 1867, Mr. Rigby married Miss Adelia M. Yule, now deceased, and they became the parents of five children: William, who resides in Everett, Washington; Alice, who died November 6, 1915; Clara, the wife of Chris Casperson, of California; Mrs. Edith Davis, whose home is in the state of Washington; and Samuel, who lives in Pocahontas county, Iowa. Mr. Rigby was married April 21, 1901, to Mrs. Amanda Judy Pretts, a native of Somerset county, Pennsylvania, and the widow of Silas Pretts. They now have three children: Hattie, the wife of Robert De Loss, of Cherokee; George W., who lives in California; and Harvey E., a resident of Cherokee.
Mr. Rigby is an adherent of the republican party and was formerly active in public affairs. He was overseer of the county poor for seven years and held several township offices. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and is a prominent member of Custer Post, No. 25, of the Grand Army of the Republic, which he is serving in the capacity of quartermaster, formerly acting as commander. He has been the architect and builder of his fortunes and deserves much credit for what he has accomplished. In every relation of life he has acquitted himself with dignity, fidelity and honor, thus winning the approbation and esteem of his fellowmen.
The examples of patient purpose and steadfast integrity, furnished by such men as George Roskens, the popular and efficient supervisor of Everly, strongly illustrate what is in the power of each to accomplish, and there is always a full measure of satisfaction in adverting in even a casual way to their achievements, for it is the progressive, alert and wideawake men of affairs who make the real history of a community. George Roskens was born in Germany on the 13th of June, 1879, and is a son of Eite and Geersema (Hemke) Roskens, who brought their family to the United States in 1881, locating in Grundy county, Iowa, where the father engaged in farming until 1890, when he came to Clay county, settling on a farm near Everly. he is now deceased, while the mother is still living here. They became the parents of six children: John, of Minnesota; George, of this sketch; Marin, of Clay county; Richard, also of Clay county; Mary, the wife of S. W. Meybor, of Clay county; and Thomas, also of this county.
George Roskens remained on his father's farm until he had attained his majority, in the meantime receiving a good education in the public schools. He then engaged in farming on his own account, buying one hundred and sixty acres of land north of Spencer, where he carries on general farming operations and stock raising, in which, through his untiring efforts and good management, he has met with a very gratifying measure of success.
On March 16, 1905, Mr. Roskens was united in marriage to Miss Sophie Boyenga, of Franklin county, Iowa, daughter of Boye and Anna (Ringesing) Boyenga, both of whom were natives of Germany, from which country they came to the United States as young people, their marriage occurring in this country. They are now retired and live at Ackley, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Roskens have four children: Minnie Masie, who is engaged in teaching school; William, Roy and Lillian Anna, who are at home. Mr. Roskens has always been a republican in his political views and has taken an active part in local public affairs. He has been a member of the board of supervisors since 1924, holds the office of school treasurer, was a justice of the peace four years and was also elected township trustee. He had served some time as township clerk until elected supervisor. His religious affiliation is with the Dutch Reformed church, to which he gives liberal support. His is a friendly and cordial man in his social relations, is courteous and accommodating among his neighbors, and throughout the community where he has spent so many years of his life he has always enjoyed the respect and good will of all who know him.
Coming to the new world in the year in which he attained his majority, Owen Rumble has eagerly and wisely embraced the opportunities that America offers and has developed an extensive business that ranks him as the leading florist of Crawford county, his greenhouses being located in Denison. He was born in Portsmouth, England, on the 21st day of June, 1885, and is a son of George and Elizabeth Rumble, also natives of that country. For many years the father was a surgeon in the English navy but is now retired and is still living at Portsmouth, where the mother died in 1911. They were the parents of six sons, of whom Owen is the youngest.
Having attended the public schools of his native city and also a technical college, Owen Rumble then learned the business of a florist, at which he was employed for six years. In 1906 he came to the United States and for about eleven years was employed by florists in New York and Pittsburgh. In 1917 he came to Denison, Crawford county, Iowa, and established a greenhouse under his name, which is also widely known as the Denison greenhouse. Starting in a small way, but with an intimate knowledge of every phase of the business, he prospered from the beginning and has gradually added other greenhouses and equipment until today he has the largest and best equipped plant in the county. He not only supplies the local trade but also ships flowers and plants to practically all parts of the surrounding country. Courteous and accommodating, and producing the finest flowers, he has long enjoyed an enviable reputation as an enterprising and progressive business man and has contributed in a very large measure to the general prosperity of his community.
On August 1, 1910, in Brooklyn, New York, Mr. Rumble was united in marriage to Miss Florence Leadbetter, daughter of Samuel and CAroline Leadbetter, of Portsmouth, England, and they are the parents of two children, Florence Maud and Owen Beresford. In political affairs Mr. Rumble maintains an independent attitude, voting according to the dictates of his judgment as to men and measures. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. He also belongs to the Denison Kiwanis Club, the Chamber of Commerce and the Iowa State Florists' Association. His religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a steward and to which he gives liberal support. Mr. Rumble is fond of outdoor life, hunting and fishing being his favorite forms of recreation. He is a gentleman of candid and straightforward manner and through the years of his residence here he has gained a host of warm and loyal friends throughout the county.
L. D. RUSK
Earnest, studious and efficient, Dr. Lester D. Rusk has steadily advanced toward the goal fixed by his ambition and is now classed with the leading physicians of Sioux City, in which he has resided for a period of ten years. He was born April 8, 1872, in Vernon county, Wisconsin. His parents, Henry and Jennie (Connors) Rusk, who were natives of Ohio, removed from that state to Wisconsin, where the father followed agricultural pursuits until 1882, when he came with his family to Iowa. He rented a tract of land near Sioux City, in Woodbury county, operating the place for several years, and then moved to Plymouth county. There he spent the remainder of his life, contributing his share toward the development of its rich agricultural resources. As a young man he enlisted in Company I, of the Forty-second Wisconsin Infantry, and fought for the Union during the last year of the Civil war. He passed away August 30, 1917, but the mother still resides on the old homestead and has reached the advanced age of eighty-two years.
Dr. Rusk attended rural schools of Wisconsin until he was ten years of age and then became a pupil in the public schools of Woodbury county, Iowa. He took a course at Morningside College and then clerked for a time in a general store. His higher education was received in the Sioux City Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1907, and he then chose Jefferson, South Dakota, as the scene of his professional activities. He remained at that place until 1915 and has since maintained an office in Sioux City, Iowa. He utilizes his scientific knowledge to the best advantage in his efforts to alleviate suffering and restore health and each year has recorded a marked increase in his practice, which now makes heavy demands upon his time and attention.
On October 14, 1907, Dr. Rusk married Miss Emma Lang, a daughter of John and Martha Lang, who were born in Ohio and became pioneer settlers of Iowa. Mr. Lang served for three years in the Union army and now resides in Roseville, Illinois. He has reached the eighty-fourth milestone on life's journey and his wife is seventy-eight years of age. Dr. and Mrs. Rusk have one child, Anna Marie, who was born August 8, 1916.
Dr. Rusk is much interested in politics and while a resident of Jefferson, South Dakota, was chairman of the republican central committee. He also served on the city council and as justice of the peace. He is a Presbyterian in religious faith and along fraternal lines is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Modern Brotherhood of America. A member of the Iowa State and Sioux Valley Medical Societies and the American Medical Association, he is deeply interested in his profession and through able, conscientious work has won the confidence and respect of the residents of this community.
In each community death is ever taking his toll from the living, and the demise of Esau Russell on the 26th of January, 1923, deprived Ida Grove of a citizen whom the community could ill afford to lose. A native of England, he was born January 24, 1851, and his parents, Charles and Eliza (Wiley) Russell, were lifelong residents of that county. Esau Russell was one of a family of six children, and his education was received in the excellent schools of England. In 1871, when a young man of twenty, he responded to the call of adventure and secured passage on a steamer bound for the United States. He sought his fortune in the west and for some time operated a farm near Tiffin, in Johnson county, Iowa, which at that period was sparsely settled. In 1887 he came to Ida county and purchased a tract of one hundred and sixty acres. He was industrious, enterprising and systematic and as the years passed added many improvements to his place, converting it into one of the finest ranches in his district.
On October 2, 1883, Mr. Russell married Miss Josephine Mullen, daughter of Washington and Isabel (Work) Mullen, natives of Pennsylvania. They migrated to Iowa in 1854 and were among the early settlers of Johnson county. To Mr. and Mrs. Russell were born three sons: Bowden, at home; Sylvan, who lives in Alberta, Canada; and Carman, a resident of Ida Grove.
Mr. Russell was an earnest member of the Episcopal church and his political allegiance was given to the democratic party. His life was one of quiet devotion to duty, devoid of all pretense, and his political allegiance was given to the democratic party. His life was one of quiet devotion to duty, devoid of all pretense, and his kindly nature and high sense of honor made him a citizen beloved by all who were brought within the sphere of his influence.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index