IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
LOUIS E. PACKER
A connection of nearly forty years with one firm indicates that a man must have exhibited certain qualities that have commended him to the good favor of those with whom he has been associated. Such has been the record of Louis E. Packer, who for four decades has been identified with the Tolerton & Warfield Company of Sioux City, while throughout the community he has long held the unbounded respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. A native of Sioux City, he was born on the 29th day of February, 1872, his parents being Gustavus A. and Anna Maria (Stacy) Packer, the former a native of Connecticut, while the latter was born in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. In the early '50s their respective families came to eastern Iowa, settling in Clayton county, where the young couple were reared and married. In 1870 the Packer family came to Sioux City. The father was a veteran of the Civil war, in which he served his country three years. He died in California in 1923, at the age of eighty years, and the mother is now making her home with her daughter, Mrs. F. M. Powell, of Dinuba, California.
Louis E. Packer received his educational training in the public schools of Sioux City and then started to work for the Tolerton & Stetson Company, wholesale grocers, now known as the Tolerton & Warfield Company. His faithful and able service was rewarded by his appointment as secretary of this company in 1901, in which capacity he served until 1920, when he was made vice-president and treasurer, and is still serving. Through the years he has devoted himself indefatigably to the interests of this well-known house and has been a prominent factor in its success. He also holds official relations with the Johnson Biscuit Company, the Sibley-Hess Company and the Robb Ross Company all of Sioux City, ad the Norfolk Packing Company, of Norfolk, Nebraska.
In Fort Dodge, Iowa, Mr. Packer was united in marriage to Miss Florence Colbert, the daughter of Vaughn S. and Rebecca (Ball) Colbert. The Colbert family was originally from near Baltimore, Maryland, whence they came to Sioux City in the '90s. Mr. Colbert was with the Tolerton & Stetson Company five years in Sioux City and then went to Fort Dodge, Iowa, as manager of a wholesale grocery house at that place. In 1908 he retired and moved to South Pasadena, California, where his death occurred in 1918. To Mr. And Mrs. Packer have been born four children, namely, Luella, John (who is associated in business with his father), Richard and Robert. Politically Mr. Packer gives his support to the republican party, while his religious affiliation is with the First Presbyterian church. He is also a member of the Young Men's Christian Association. Mr. Packer has done considerable automobile traveling, his tours covering may of the western states, and he is also fond of hunting as a means of recreation. He is a gentleman of broad views and well defined opinions, is regarded as a man of reliable judgment in practical affairs and is highly esteemed throughout the business circles of this city.
Guy Pangborn led an active and busy life and has attained a position of distinction in the community with which his interests are allied. He has fully merited the confidence which his fellow citizens have shown in him and is entitled to a place among the representative men of his county. Born in Greene county, Iowa, on the 10th of February, 1875, he is a son of James A. and Lydia (Adamson) Pangborn, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of Stark county, Ohio. They were both brought to Benton county, Iowa, in childhood, their respective families being numbered among the pioneer settlers of that section of the state, and here the young couple were reared to maturity and were married. On reaching manhood James A. Pangborn bought a quarter section of land in Greene county, for which he paid five dollars an acre, and in later years bought an adjoining quarter section, thus giving him three hundred and twenty acres. He still owns this land, though he retired from active business about ten years ago and is now living in Bayard, Iowa.
Guy Pangborn was reared on his father's farm and attended the district schools, graduating from the Guthrie high school, after which he took a course in the Capital City Commercial College in Des Moines. He then bought eighty acres of land near the home farm and operated that place successfully for fourteen years, when he sold and bought his present farm of one hundred and eleven acres on Spirit Lake. Here he has made many splendid improvements and developed it into one of the best dairy farm in this section of the state . Mr. Pangborn lived on his land until his election to his present office, when he rented the farm and moved to Spirit Lake. In November, 1920, Mr. Pangborn was elected auditor of Dickinson county, taking the office on January 1st following, and was re-elected in 1922 and again in 1924, his retention to this important office being a marked testimonial to his efficiency and ability and to his devotion to the public interests, as well as to his personal popularity.
On June 28 1899, Mr. Pangborn was married to Miss Edna McCartney, of Guthrie county, Iowa, a daughter of Francis and Sarah McCartney, who were among the early settlers of that county, coming to this state from Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Pangborn have six children: Helen, a graduate of Coe College, at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is the wife of R. M. Peterson, who is an actuary for the Equitable Life Assurance Society of New York city; Claire L., a graduate of the Spirit Lake high school, is a traveling auditor for the Standard Oil Company, with headquarters at Ford Dodge, Iowa; Vern A. is a junior at Coe College; Edith and Esther, twins, are in the high school at Spirit Lake; and Vivian is in the grade school. Mr. Pangborn is a member of Twilight Lodge, No, 329, A. F. & A. M.; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.; and Minnewaukon Lodge, No. 274, I. O. O. F. He has taken a deep interest in local public affairs, especially in educational matters, and has served for the past eight years as a member of the school board. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has been loyal and true in every relation of life, is genial and companionable, and, though unassuming in manner, possesses a force of character that has gained for him the respect and confidence of his fellowmen to a marked degree.
ALONZO L, PECK, D. D. S.
Alonzo L. Peck has acquired distinction and gained success in two widely different lines of effort having for a number of years practice the profession of dentistry, in which he enjoyed a remunerative patronage, while for the past twenty years he has devoted his attention to the operation of Arnold's Park, one of the most popular summer resorts in the middle west. Dr. Peck was born at Necedah, Wisconsin, November 28 1854, and is a son of Ferdinand and Maria (Weeks) Peck, both of whom were natives of New York city, where they were reared and married. Soon afterward they came to the middle west, locating in Necedah, Wisconsin, where the father followed the trade of a painter. On the outbreak of the Civil war Mr. Peck enlisted in a Wisconsin regiment and rendered faithful service to his country on the battlefields of the south. In 1866 he came to Iowa, settling in Mitchell county, where he followed his trade for about thirty-four years. About 1900 he moved to San Diego, California, where his death occurred five years later, his widow surviving him about ten years.
Alonzo L. Peck attended the public and high schools of Osage county, Iowa, and then learned the painter's trade under the direction of his father. He followed that vocation until 1881, when he took up the study of dentistry. On completing his course he entered upon the active practice of his profession at Mason City, Iowa where he remained ten years, at the end of which time he moved to Spencer, Iowa, where he continued in practice until 1906, when he turned his attention to the management of Arnold's Park, the ownership of which he acquired in that year. He has made a vast number of improvements on the place, which comprises twenty-five acres on West Okoboji lake, erecting seventy-five buildings, at an approximate cost of three hundred thousand dollars. By giving thoughtful direction to the equipment and beautification of the place, as well as to the right kind of publicity, he has gained for Arnold's Park a popularity second to no other similar resort in this part of the country, it being stated authoritatively that there were between seventy-five and one hundred thousand people there on July 4, 1925. Lake Okoboji is one of the prettiest deep water lakes in the middle west and the natural surroundings of Arnold's Park are all in its favor.
On June 15,m 1916, Doctor Peck was married to Miss Alice J. Gale of San Diego California. The Doctor has one son by a former marriage, Earl A., who is now engaged in the dental supply business in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Doctor Peck is a member of Gloaming Lodge No. 482, A. F. & A. M.; Spirit Lake Chapter, No,. 132, R. A. M.; Temple Council No. 37, R. & S. M.; Azaties Commandery, No. 65, K. T.; Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; Okoboji Lodge, No. 429, K. of P.; Dhue Kaka Temple, No. 250, D. O. K. K., of Sioux City, while he and his wife are members of Gloaming Chapter, No 225, Order of the Eastern Star; Calvary Shrine No. 18, Order of the White Shrine of Jerusalem, and of Milford Temple, No. 172, Pythian Sisters. He is also a member of Estherville Lodge, B. P. O. E., and of the Izaak Walton League of America. Courteous and accommodating in his relations with others, he has gained a host of warm and loyal friends, and his efforts to make Arnold's Park the ideal place for a summer outing have been rewarded by the patronage of the best class of people, who have recognized and appreciated the high plane on which he conducts the place.
JOHN M. PERION
Agriculture is one of the most honorable occupations open to man and is the basis of our national prosperity. The life labors of John M. Perion were devoted to this useful line of endeavor and his enterprising spirit and intelligently directed efforts resulted in placing him in the front rank of the progressive farmers of Ida county. He was born in May, 1855, and was a native of Austria. His parents, Andrew and Perion, were natives of France and after their marriage sought the opportunities of the new world. They settled on a farm in Clinton county, Iowa, and there both passed away. They had a family of eight children: John M.; Andrew, who is living in Ipswich, South Dakota; James; a son who is deceased; Joseph, whose home is in Manilla, Iowa; Mathew, a resident of Clinton county; Mary, the wife of Anton Fere, of Clinton county; and Peter, who lives in Nemaha, Iowa.
After completing his education John M Perion chose the career of an agriculturist and in 1885, when a young an of thirty, came to Ida county, Iowa, in which he spent the remainder of his life, passing away March 1, 1911m on the home place in Blaine township, A man of progressive ideas, he provided his farm with the most modern appliances for facilitating the work and demonstrated by his success that in the cultivation of the soil, as well as in business and professional lines, efficiency and system are sure routes to prosperity.
No April 11, 1883, Mr. Perion married Miss Mary Jane Smith, a daughter of James H. and Mary (Gilligan) Smith. They were natives of Ireland and after emigrating to the United States lived for a time in Yates county, New York. They journeyed from that state to Iowa, settling to Clinton county, and later moved to Ida county, in which Mr. Smith made his home until his demise. He made good use of his opportunities and was very successful in his farming operations, becoming the owner of seven hundred acres of rich and arable land. He was the father of nine children: Margaret, who is deceased; Emily, the widow of Michael Crowley, of Ida county; Mary Jane; Elizabeth E. and Joseph J., both deceased; Francis J., a resident of Sioux City, Iowa; Margaret, the wife of E. J. Hopkins, of Ida county; and Thomas and James who have also passed away. Mr. And Mrs. Perion also had a family of nine children: Loretta E., who is the wife of James Cahill, of Fort Dodge, Iowa; Elizabeth, James T., Andrew and Francis J., all of whom are deceased; Mary M. and Emma M., twins, the former of whom married E. J. Cahill, of Fort Dodge, while the latter is the wife of Will Anchsletter, of Ida Grove; and Edward C, and Cyril R., both at home.
Mr. Perion was a Catholic in religious faith and his political allegiance was given to the democratic party. He was a plain, outspoken man of spotless reputation, and his loyalty and public spirit, his fidelity to the tie of home and friendship, were qualities which won for him strong and enduring regard.
H. W. PITKIN
On the list of Iowa's able and successful professional men the name of Harry Walton Pitkin, lawyer, occupies a high place. Standing as he does in the front rank of one of the most exacting and important professions, he has long been a useful and appreciated worker in the world's work, a man of well-rounded character, sincere, devoted and loyal, and richly deserves the prestige which he enjoys in this state. Unit recently he resided in Sioux City, when his duties as general counsel of the Brotherhood of American Yeomen, whose headquarters are in Des Moines, made it desirable that he reside in that city, where he and his family are now pleasantly located. Mr. Pitkin was born in Knox county, Ohio, on the 16th of January, 1874, and is a son of Theodore S. and Mary (Walton) Pitkin, the former born in Knox county, Ohio, and the latter in Pennsylvania. The father was long engaged in farming in Knox county. He is the scion of a long line of sterling American ancestors, the progenitor of the Pitkin family in this country having come from England in 1634, settling in Hartford, Connecticut. Members of the family were active in the affairs of the colonies, one having, as the representative from Connecticut, ratified the constitution of the United States. Rev. John Pitkin, the grandfather of H. W. Pitkin, was a veteran of the War of 1812 and his father fought in the Union army during the Civil war. One of his paternal great-grandfathers was Robert E. Wilson, who was the third president of Ohio University.
Harry W. Pitkin attended the district schools of his native county, completing his elementary studies in the Mt. Vernon public schools, and then entered Wooster College, where he was graduated in 1900, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He afterward matriculated in the law school of Columbia University, New York city, where he received the Bachelor of Laws degree in 1903. The same year he went to Sioux City and entered upon the practice of his profession, a short time later forming a partnership with D. G. Mullan, under the firm name of Pickin & Mullan. This relation was continued to January 1, 1915, when Mr. Pitkin joined the firm of Milchrist & Scott, his partners being William Milchrist and George C. Scott. Later Mr. Scott was elevated to the United States district bench and subsequently the firm of Milchrist, Jepson, Pitkin, Marshall & Jepson was formed. This well-known firm is generally recognized as one of the ablest law firms in Sioux City and commands a large clientele in corporation, insurance and banking circles. mr. Pitkin is a constant student of his profession, keeping in close touch with the latest decisions of the courts, and is noted for his persistency in a cause when once satisfied of the justice of his cause. He remained in Sioux City until 1926, in which year he and his family established their home in Des Moines.
On August 3, 1904, Mr. Pitkin was united in marriage to Miss Anna Belle Smith, of Burlington Junction, Missouri, and to them have been born two children, Margaret Estella who is a student in Drake University, and Dorothy Walton, who is attending high school. Mrs. Pitkin is a graduate of DRake University, receiving the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1899, and is active in club, church and social work. Mr. Pitkin is a member of Tyrian Lodge, No. 508, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master; Sioux City Chapter, No. 26, Royal Arch Madons; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; Abu-Bekr Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; the Royal Order of Scotland (Masonic), of Washington, D. C., and on October 21, 1921, the thirty-third and last degree of Freemasonry was conferred on him in recognition of his active and effective services in the order; he is also a member of Western Star Lodge, No. 282, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Columbia Lodge, No. 13, Knights of Pythias, of which he is a past chancellor commander, and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen, of which he is general counsel for the national organization. He belongs to the Sioux City Country Club, the Sioux City Boat Club, the Sioux City Lions Club, is a member of the advisory council of the Order of DeMolay, belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and to the Sioux City Alumnus Association of the Alpha Tau Omega. He is also vice-president of the legal section of the National Fraternal Congress of America, which represents some ten million members. Mr. and Mrs. Pitkin are members of the Presbyterian church, and he served on the official board of that society in Sioux City. Personally Mr. Pitkin is essentially a man among men, commanding respect in all circles in which he moves, and as a citizen he easily ranks with the most influential in affairs affecting the progress of the community. A man of great native ability, liberal education, high personal character and keen professional acumen, he has won not only material success, but what is of more importance, the absolute confidence of his fellowmen.
M. B. PULLEN
One of the best known men of a past generation in Monona county, Iowa - one whose record is well deserving of a conspicuous place in his community's history - was the late Malden B. Pullen, who during his active years not only was numbered among the eminently successful business men of the locality where he lived but also was an influential and potent factor in the community's development and prosperity.
Mr. Pullen was born in Week's Mill, Maine, on the 6th of February, 1847, and his death occurred in Onawa, Iowa, on the 4th of May, 1918, in the seventy-second year of his age. He was a son of Daniel and Mary (Didley) Pullen, the former of whom died July 24, 1849. After our subject came west, the mother came to live with him and resided here until her death, which occurred in 1883. The paternal grandfather was William Pullen, of Vassalboro, Maine, a prominent lumber dealer of his day, and who, while Maine was still a part of Massachusetts, represented his district in the legislature.
Malden B. Pullen was the eighth in order of birth of the nine children born to his parents. He secured his educational training in the public schools of his native state, and at the age of sixteen years was apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade. After completing his apprenticeship he continued to work as a journeyman with his former employer until 1869, when he came west, locating at Omaha, Nebraska, where he secured employment in the shops of the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1871 he came to Onawa, Monona county, Iowa, and engaged in business as a carpenter contractor, in which capacity he erected many of the prominent homes and business structures of the city. In 1880 he added undertaking to his business and was the first embalmer in this locality. He was a man of marked business ability and reliable judgment, absolutely square in his dealings with the public, and a gratifying measure of success crowned his efforts.
On December 29, 1881, Mr. Pullen was united in marriage to Miss Julia E. Whiting, daughter of Hon. Charles E. and Nancy (Criner) Whiting, the former of whom was the earliest settler in Monona county and the founder of the Whiting settlement. He became prominent in public life and was a judge of the county court. Mrs. Pullen was born in New Market, Madison county, Alabama, January 2, 1850, and was but six years of age when she came with her parents to Monona county. She was educated in the public schools of Onawa, completing her studies in Knox Seminary, at Galesburg, Illinois. To her is accorded the distinction of belonging to the first family to settle in this county, and she attended the first school in Onawa. Laer, prior to her marriage, she taught five terms of school. Besides the widow, the following children survived: Myrick W. Pullen, born January 25, 1883, on Woodlawn farm at Whiting, is professor of electricity in Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland. On September 13, 1912, he was married to Miss Ruby C. Faus, who died March 5, 1916, leaving two children, Cordelia V. and Myrick C. On June 19, 1923, Myrick W. Pullen was married to Miss Julia S. Fuller. Gail C. Pullen, born September 26, 1884, at Onawa, was married December 29, 1909, to Miss Zoe Hagen, and they have two children, Malden H. and Don Martin. Keats A. Pullen, born July 4, 1886, at Onawa, now resides at Los Gatos, California. He was married May 14, 1913, to Miss Mabel J. Faus, and they have three children, Curtis F., Keats A., jr., and Robert Whiting. Mary Bernice Pullen, born December 27, 1893, died July 26, 1918.
Politically Mr. Pullen was a stanch supporter of the democratic party, taking an active interest in local public affairs, and held a number of local offices, including that of mayor of Onawa. He was equally noted as a citizen whose career, useful and honorable, conferred credit on the community and as a man whose marked abilities and sterling qualities won for him well merited success, and he held distinctive precedence as one of the representative men of the community in which he lived and labored.
C. L. PUTNAM
Dr. Chester Lloyd Putnam, physician and surgeon, is practicing at Holstein, in which he has made his home for thirteen years, and his success has been commensurate with his industry and ability. He was born September 19, 1886, in the vicinity of Knoxville, Iowa, and represents a family that was established in America as early as 1634. His parents were William Franklin and Mary Ann (Rizar) Putnam, the latter of GErman descent. The mother was born July 22, 1848, in Ohio, and the father's birth occurred September 1, 1846, in Epworth, Iowa.
Dr. Putman was reared on the home farm in Marion county and attended the public schools of Knoxville. Choosing a professional career, he entered the college of medicine of the University of Iowa and was graduated June 12, 1912, with the M. D. degree. He opened an office in Holstein in May, 1913, and is now enjoying a large practice. He has made a close study of human nature as well as the technicalities of his profession and has won the confidence and trust of his patients by quiet, conscientious and effective work.
On June 3, 1913, Dr. Putnam was married in Alta, Iowa, to Miss Susie Esther Emorine, daughter of James E. and Sarah Elizabeth (Burke) Emorine, the latter of whom is a native of Baltimore, Maryland.l Mr. Emorine has passed away. Dr. and Mrs. Putnam are the parents of a son, William James, who was born September 14, 1914, in Holstein.
Mrs. Putnam was born June 3, 1891, at Early, Iowa. She belongs to the Woman's Club of Holstein and is a past matron of the local chapter of the Eastern Star. The Doctor has taken the thirty-second degree in the Masonic order and has been master of his lodge. He is president of the Community Club and a member of the Ida county board of education, enlisting his talents as readily for the public zeal as for his own success. He is affiliated with the Presbyterian church and casts his ballot for the candidates of the republican party. Dr. Putnam is a progressive exponent of his profession and possesses all of the qualities of a useful and desirable citizen.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index