IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
The old world has given to the new many upright, honorable men who have brought with the qualities of industry, thrift and enterprise, which constitute the basis of good citizenship. To this class belongs Alexander Nicholson, who was long numbered among the leading agriculturists of Ida county and is now living retired in Holstein, having well earned a period of leisure. A native of Scotland, he was born October 13, 1849, and his parents, James and Christina (Stuart) Nicholson, were lifelong residents of that country. In their family were nine children: Thomas who became widely known as the builder of Marshall Field's great store in Chicago and is now deceased; Alexander; John, who was for many years a foreman in the railroad shops at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and has passed away; James, who, like his brothers, became an expert stone-cutter and successful building contractor and is now deceased; David who followed the bricklayer's trade for many years and is now living retired in Chicago; William, who is engaged in farming in Michigan; Jessie and Donald, who have passed away; and Stuart, who established his home in California and there spent the remainder of his life.
Alexander Nicholson was educated in his native land and when nineteen years of age was sent to the isle of South Ronaldsay, one of the Orkney group, to teach the fishermen how to cultivate the soil and develop the agricultural resources of that region. He devoted twelve years to that work, in which he was very successful, and the Highland Agricultural Society of Scotland awarded him a gold metal in recognition of his services. In 1882 Mr. Nicholson sought the opportunities of the United States and spent one year in Chicago. He then continued his journey westward and acquired a tract of land in Buena Vista county, Iowa, where he lived for about fifteen years, developing one of the fine ranches of that section On the expiration of that period he moved to Ida county and eventually became the owner of a valuable farm of two hundred and twenty-four acres. He brought o his occupation a scientific knowledge of modern agriculture and an intelligent. Open and liberal mind, and aided in raising the standards of farming in his district. Through unceasing application and good management he accumulated a substantial competence and in 1910 was able to retire, building a beautiful home in Holstein, where he has since resided.
On June 21, 1871, Mr. Nicholson was married to Miss Margaret Park, a native of the Orkney islands and a daughter of James and Margaret Park, who were also born in that region. She is one of six children, but the others, James, Elizabeth, John, Jessie and George, are all deceased. To Mr. And Mrs. Nicholson were born ten children: Elebeth, who is the wife of Frank McCrey, of Schaller, Iowa; Christina now Mrs. Edward Swanson, of Florida; Jessie, who married John Gordon of Streator, Illinois; Alexander, Jr., who lives in Plumgaard, Lyon county, Iowa; Emma, the wife of Theodore Copland, of Cushing, this state; Margaret, who was united in marriage to Charles Copland, of Holstein; Mary, the wife of William Hegerdorn, of Sioux City, Iowa; Cora, now Mrs. Clifford Conover, of Holstein; Blenda, deceased; and Viva, who is the wife of Edgar Linder, of Holstein.
Mr. Nicholson is an earnest member of the Presbyterian church and exercises his right of franchise in support of the candidates of the democratic party. He takes the interest of a good citizen in public affairs but has never entered politics. His life has been one of simplicity, devoid of all affectation, and his moral worth is indicated by the high regard entertained for him by the residents of Holstein and Ida county.
FRANK J. NORMAN, D. C.
Dr. Frank J. Norman is devoting his talents to the alleviation of the physical ills of mankind and maintains an office in Spencer representing the chiropractic school of healing. He was born September 27, 1888, in Lane county, Kansas, and is a son of George and Mary (Yelm) Norman, the latter born in Illinois. The father is a native of Sweden and came to the United States as a young man. For many years he followed the occupation of farming in Knox county, Illinois, and is now living in Scott county, Kansas He has a family of eight children: Ada, the wife of Spencer H. Hall, of Grigston, Kansas; Charles, whose home is in Scott City; Allie, who married Dr. A. L. Hotelling, now a prominent physician of Estherville, Iowa; Frank J.; Emma, who is the wife of C, E. Turpin, of Grigston; Anna, who married C. L. Shull, also of Griston; John, a resident of Scott City, Kansas; and Eva, the wife of C. E. Riley, of Tribune, Kansas.
Dr, Norman attended the public schools of the Sunflower state and resided on a ranch until he reached the age of twenty-one years. He then entered the Palmer School of Chiropractic at Davenport, Iowa, and was graduated with the class of 1912. He began his professional career in Lenox, Iowa and in the spring of 1924 moved to Spencer. He accurately applies his scientific knowledge to the needs of his patients and has already established a large practice, inspiring respect and confidence in those to whom he ministers.
On October 8, 1913, Dr. Norman married Miss Delphine Louise Peltier, a native of Iowa, and to this union has been born a daughter, Elizabeth Louise. Dr. Norman belongs to the Masonic order and is a consistent member of the Congregational church. He votes the democratic ticket but has never sought political honors, reserving all of his energies for his profession, in which he is making rapid progress.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index