IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
One of the best and most favorably known livestock men in the west is Frank Lake, who for over twenty years has been a member of the firm of Waitt & Lake, engaged in the live stock commission business at Sioux City. Practically his entire life since leaving school has been identified with the livestock business, with which he is intimately familiar in all of its phases, and his record since locating in Sioux City is one of which he may be justifiably proud. Mr. Lake was born in Devonshire, England, November 7, 1861, and is a son of William and Eliza (Cheedley) Lake, also natives of Devonshire. The family came to the United States in 1870, locating in Hinsdale, Illinois, where the father engaged in the coal business. Later he also entered the meat business and was identified with both enterprises to the time of his death, which occurred in 1905, at the age of seventy-five years. The mother passed away in 1902, when sixty-nine years old.
Frank Lake attended the public schools of England, continuing his studies in the schools of Hinsdale and at Gleason's Academy of that place. He next went to Chicago and entered the employ of the Stock Yards Company, where he remained six years. He then went to Omaha, Nebraska, and was employed by the Stock Yards Company six or seven years. In 1890 he came to Sioux City and worked for James D. Booge, the first meat packer of this city. He was made assistant buyer, serving in that capacity until the failure of the concern, some three years later. Afterward he was with the livestock commission firm of Thayer, Hall & Company as yard hog salesman about three years, then spent two years as hog salesman for Parsons & West, and next became manager for J. H. Mason & Company, commission merchants, with whom he remained nine years. In 1905 he embarked in business on his own account, forming the firm of Waitt & Lake as a copartnership, and Mr. Lake was made manager of the business, a relationship which he still sustains. This firm has enjoyed a steady increase of business through the years, being regarded as one of the most reliable firms on the Exchange and its more than twenty years' record has been a most creditable one.
Mr. Lake is a member of Tyrian Lodge, No. 508, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, and Abu-Bekr Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. Socially, he is a member of the Knife and Fork Club. He owns a fine country home on McCook lake, where he spends the summer months, enjoying his favorite recreations - boating and fishing. A man of sterling character, maintaining a public-spirited attitude towards all measures for the betterment of the city and the advancement of the public good, and kindly and friendly in all of his social relations, he enjoys a well merited popularity and among his business associates is accorded the highest measure of confidence.
J. S. LAWRENCE
In the largest and best sense of the term, the late Judge Joseph Spencer Lawrence was distinctively one of the notable men of his day and generation in Sioux City, and as such his life record is entitled to a conspicuous place in the annals of his section of the state. As a public-spirited citizen he showed a deep and effective interest in the public welfare; as a friend and neighbor, he combined the qualities of head and heart that won confidence and commanded respect; as an attorney, who had a comprehensive rasp upon the philosophy of jurisprudence, he was easily the peer of his professional brethren of the bar.
Judge Lawrence was born in Brooklyn, New York, on the 12th of October, 1853, and died at his home in Sioux City on the 8th of January, 1909, in the fifty-sixth year of his age. He was a son of William S. and Mary (Mangum) Lawrence, the former of whom was born in Providence, Rhode Island, while the latter was born on the Hudson, in New York state. William S. Lawrence became a wholesale flour merchant at 92 Broad street, New York city, while his home was at 675 Willoughby street, Brooklyn.
Joseph S. Lawrence attended teh public schools of his native city and then entered Colgate University, at Hamilton, New York, where he was graduated, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in 1875. He then entered the law school of New York University, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1877. During his law course he was employed in the law office of Henry L. Clinton in New York, and while there had the distinction of having written the copy of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt's will. He was admitted to the bar in Albany, New York, in 1877, and then located at Mohawk, that state, where he entered upon the practice of his profession. In January, 1881, Judge Lawrence came to Sioux City, Iowa, where he soon gained recognition as a lawyer of more than ordinary capability, and for many years was a dominant figure in the legal circles of this part of the state. He was identified as counsel with most of the important litigation in the courts of this and neighboring counties, enjoying uniform success in the practice and building up a large and representative clientele, his success being indicated by his long and praiseworthy record at the bar. He was a master of his profession, a leader among men distinguished for the high order of their legal ability, and his eminent attainments and ripe judgement made him an authority on all matters involving a profound knowledge of jurisprudence and vexed and intricate questions of law. He was the first police judge of Sioux City, and thereafter he was known only as Judge Lawrence. The Judge took an active interest in public affairs, on which he held well defined opinions. He served two terms in the Iowa state senate during the administrations of Governors Larrabee and Boise, and made a splendid record for his diligence and faithfulness to the interests of the people. In the affairs of his own community he could always be counted upon to support by choice and example every enterprise whereby the material, civic or moral interests of the city might be advanced.
Judge Lawrence was largely responsible for the formation of the Sioux City Service Company, this having been one of the most important civic epochs of Sioux City. Previous thereto its street railways were all independent lines. Some of them had gone into bankruptcy and others were on the verge of insolvency. Late in the '90s Judge Lawrence, in association with Abel Anderson of the Northwestern National Bank of Sioux City (now the Sioux National Bank), J. W. D. C. O'Grady, general manager of the Bank of Montreal of Chicago, and John S. Goodwin, attorney for the Bank of Montreal, bought up the roads and consolidated them, and for several years Judge Lawrence was president thereof, as well as general counsel. Riverside Park was also a part of the holdings. Later the street car system was sold to the Armours, and the Judge was retained as general counsel for the system until his death.
On December 28, 1875, Judge Lawrence was united in marriage to Miss Imogene D. Treadway, who was born in Jordanville, Herkimer county, New York, a daughter of John Marshall and Elizabeth P. (Hammer) Treadway, both of whom also were natives of Herkimer county. Mr. Treadway, early in the history of northwestern Iowa, made heavy investments in farm land, becoming the owner of twelve hundred acres, a part of which is the present town site of Leeds, Iowa. He also bought the Brugher place as well as other lands, which in the course of time greatly increased in value. In 1881 he bought his family to Woodbury county, Iowa, and located on the farm which is now the home of his daughter, Mrs. Lawrence. William B. Treadway, a younger brother, had come to Woodbury county some years previously and homesteaded teh present home farm, and John M. Treadway furnished the money with which to stock it with shorthorn cattle, the outcome of which was that in the course of time it was developed into a noted stock ranch. William B. Treadway moved the Brugher farm and John M. located on the present Lawrence home place, where he lived up to the time of his death, which occurred March 25, 1912, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence also making their home here.
Mr. Treadway took a very active interest in civic affairs and while living at Leeds served eight years as alderman. Some time after coming to Woodbury county he bought five or six registered Jersey cows, which became the nucleus of the present extensive and valuable Jersey dairy herd which has been built up by the son, William Marshall Lawrence. To Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence was also born a daughter, Mary L., who became the wife of George W. Avery, of the Spalding-Avery Lumber Company, of Sioux City. They are the parents of a son, George Lawrence Avery, who is now a senior in the University of California.
Judge Lawrence was a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and belonged to Sioux City Consistory, A. A. S. R., and Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He and his wife belonged to the Baptist church, and Mrs. Lawrence is also a member of the Altrusan Club. Judge Lawrence was a man of great strength of character, exerting a quiet but definite influence on the lives of those about him and standing always for the best things in life. As a man, he was gifted, highly trained, of incorruptible integrity; as a counselor and adviser, he was clear visioned and wise; as a friend, he was loyal and true; as a Christian, he was humble and consistent. In brief, he was a man of whom it might be said, "Of soul sincere, in action thoughtful, in honor clear, who broke no promise, served no private end, who gained no title, and who lost no friend."
Among the able, faithful and popular representatives of the priesthood in northwestern Iowa is Rev. F. LeBlond, pastor of St. Mary's Roman Catholic church at Spirit Lake. He was born in Montreal, Canada, on the 4th of October, 1875, and is a son of Paul and Clarissa (Sirois) LeBlond, both of whom were natives of Quebec, Canada. The father was a farmer, owning land near Montreal, where his death occurred in 1908, at the age of seventy-three years. He was survived a number of years by his widow, who passed away in 1915, at the age of seventy-six years.
Rev. F. LeBlond was reared on the home farm and attended the parochial schools. He then entered Christian Brothers College, in Montreal, where he remained two years, after which he entered the school of the Sulpician Fathers, where he studied for fourteen years. He was ordained to the priesthood December 22, 1900, Archbishop Paul Bruchesi officiating, and following his ordination served as professor of Greek in the Sulpician Brothers College for six years, at the end of which time he was appointed assistant to Rev. P. Marin, pastor of St. John's parish, at Buemont, Quebec, where he served about two years. In 1910 he came to the United States, being assigned to the Sioux City diocese, and for a time presided over the parish at Sanborn, Iowa, during the illness of the pastor. In September of that year he was assigned to Sioux City as assistant to the rector of the church of St. John the Baptist. In May, 1911, he was sent to Duncombe to take charge of the parish during the illness of the pastor and from there went to Manilla, Iowa, where also he served during the illness of the pastor. Afterwards he substituted for a short time at Alford, Iowa, and on June 1, 1913, was appointed pastor of St. Mary's parish at Oto, Iowa, serving that church until February 1, 1922, when he became pastor of St. Mary's church at Spirit Lake. Here he has done a splendid work, stimulating all departments of the work and largely increasing the effective activities of the parish. He is a forceful and effective preacher, a good sermonizer, and since he came here his congregation has steadily grown in size. Kindly and cordial in manner, he has won a host of friends here, regardless of sect, creed or profession, and enjoys the confidence and respect of all who know him.
J. M. LIDMAN
To be seven times successively elected to the same public office indicates that a man must possess more than ordinary capacity for administration and that his discharge of his official duties has been characterized by faithfulness and fidelity that have commended him to the favor of his fellowmen. John M. Lidman has served as sheriff of Clay county since 1912 and it is the consensus of public opinion that the county never had a more capable or efficient sheriff than he. A native of Sweden, he was born on the 27th of May, 1869, and is a son of Magnus and Carolina (Johnson) Lidman, who also were natives of Sweden, where they spent their lives.
John M. Lidman is the eldest of their four children, three of whom are living. He was reared and educated in his native land, remaining at home until twenty years of age, and in 1891 he came to the United States, at once locating in Spencer, Iowa. For four years he was employed on a farm in Lincoln township. He was then married and soon afterwards went to work for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, with which company he remained two years. He was then appointed janitor of the high school building, which position he held for eight years, and during that period gave serious attention to securing an English education. Then for about a year he was employed in a bridge timber yard, after which for about one and a half years he was employed in the freight offices of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. In 1909, he was appointed deputy sheriff of Clay county, serving for four years, when he was elected sheriff. So eminently satisfactory was his administration of the office in his first term that he was re-elected and has been chosen continuously since, being the present incumbent.
In 1894 Mr. Lidman was united in marriage to Miss Ila A. Johnson, who also was born in Sweden, a daughter of John and Gustana Anderson, and they now have six children: Anna, who is a graduate of the Spencer high school, is the wife of John Strand; Hilda, also a graduate of the high school, is the wife of James H. Peterson; Edna L., Adelia and Aurces T., who have graduated from the high school, and John H., Jr., who is now in high school, are all at home.
Mr. Lidman has wisely invested his surplus means in real estate, owning a fine residence in Spencer, eighty acre of good farm land in Lone Tree township and one hundred and sixty acres of land, including a lake frontage of a half mile, in Minnesota. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church, to which they give liberal support. Mr. Lidman has proven a substantial citizen in every respect, giving his support to every measure calculated to advance the best interests of the community, and discharging his official duties in a manner to win the commendation of the best people of the county. His record may well serve as an example of faithful citizenship and if followed by others would soon settle many crime conditions.
W. L. LINDERMAN
The legal profession of northwestern Iowa has a worthy representative in Walter L. Linderman, who through long years has stood in the front rank of the able and successful lawyers of his section of the state, but who is now practically retired from general practice and is devoting his attention mainly to the management of his extensive landed interests. Born in Fayette county, Iowa, on the 2d of May, 1856, he is a son of E. S. and Martha A. (Hinman) Linderman, both of whom were born in Illinois, near the Wisconsin line. They were there reared and in young womanhood Martha Hinman taught in the district schools. About 1850 their respective families came to Iowa, locating in Fayette county, where they were shortly afterwards married. The father acquired one hundred and twenty acres of government land, on which he built a log cabin and proceeded to develop a farm, the tract being located on the Turkey river, one and a half miles from Auburn. During the Civil war he enlisted for service as a member of the Thirty-eighth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and died from illness at Vicksburg. Later the mother became the wife of Dennis Gray and continued to reside on the home farm until their declining years, when they came to Emmetsburg and spent their last days with her son.
Walter L. Linderman attended the country schools and a select school at West Union, after which he entered Western College and was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1879. Desirous of becoming a member of the bar he entered the law school of the Iowa State University and was graduated in 1883, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. Mr. Linderman began teaching school in 1877, in order to defray the expenses of his college and university courses, teaching during the summers and pursuing his studies in winter. In 1883 he came to Emmetsburg and entered upon the practice of his profession in partnership with George B. McCartney, under the firm name of McCartney * Linderman, "land law and abstracts." This association continued until 1901, when it was dissolved, and Mr. Linderman has since given his attention almost entirely to the land and abstract business. During the years of his law practice he acquired extensive land holdings and to the management of his property he is now giving practically his entire time.
In 1884 Mr. Linderman was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Mayer, of Fayette county, Iowa, and to them was born a daughter, Hazel, who graduated from Emmetsburg high school and later studied music at Cornell College, in Mt. Vernon, Iowa. She has long been prominent in local musical circles, having played the pipe organ at the Methodist Episcopal church and has been the leader of the choir for a number of years. She organized the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, being eligible to membership in both paternal and maternal lines. She is active in many lines of church, civic and social work in Emmetsburg and is an extremely popular member of the circles in which she moves. Mr. Linderman is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and of the Emmetsburg Commercial Club. He has long been numbered among the public-spirited men of his locality, giving hearty cooperation to all movements for the advancement of the community along material, civic or moral lines, and holds an enviable place in public confidence and regard.
Diligence and determination have shaped the career of John Lindsay, who had fought life's battles alone, eagerly availing himself of every opportunity for advancement, and he is now numbered among the leading citizens of Arthur and the large landholders of Ida county. He was born May 30, 1860, in Ireland, and his parents, James and Sarah (Irwin) Lindsay, were also natives of the Emerald isle. Their children were: James, William and Thomas, all of whom have passed away; Mary Ann, the widow of James Alvord, of Ireland; Sarah Jane, who married James H. Fair; John, who died in infancy; Eliza and Margaret, also deceased; John; and Andrew, a resident of San Jose, California.
John Lindsay was educated in his native land and in 1882, when a young man of twenty-two, severed home ties, securing passage on a vessel bound for the United States. He sought his fortune in the west, making his way to Iowa, and has since been engaged in farming in Ida county. From time to time he has added to his holdings and now has a quarter section of land in Blaine township. The soil is rich and productive, and his well improved homestead, equipped with labor-saving machinery and all modern conveniences, is convincing proof of his up-to-date methods. He is now living in the town of Arthur and resides in one of its finest homes.
Mr. Lindsay has two children by his first marriage. James Edward, the elder, is an enterprising agriculturist. He entered the service of his country and was stationed for a time at Camp Funston. He went to France with a machine gun company and while at the front was gassed. He was sent to Germany with the Army of Occupation and subsequently was discharged with a highly creditable military record. His brother, Arthur E., resides at home. Mr. Lindsay's second union was with Mary E. Johnson, a native of Ireland and a daughter of Thomas Johnson. Mr. Lindsay is a Royal Rach Mason, belonging to the chapter at Ida Grove, and is also connected with teh Modern Woodmen of America. He is highly respected in his community and his career teaches the world the valuable lesson that true success comes only through tireless industry, guided and inspired by singleness of purpose.
T. D. LONG
Tom Dean Long is prominently connected with journalism in northwestern Iowa, being one of the owners and editors of the Manson Journal and Democrat, one of the most popular papers of Calhoun county, comparing favorably with the best local sheets in this section of the state in news, editorial ability and mechanical execution. The county regards Mr. Long not only as a keen newspaper man but also a representative citizen, whose interest in all that effects the general welfare has been of such a character as to win for him a high place in the confidence and respect of the people. There are probably few men who can lay claim to a longer line of pioneer ancestors than Mr. Long. The paternal ancestral line is traced back to Scotland, where the family was established for a number of generations. In the course of time the Long family, together with some neighbors, went to Ireland to plant the seeds of Protestantism and incidentally to establish a home. Time passed, and again the love of adventure of the lure of pioneer life started a part of the Long family overseas. In 1720 John Long, with his wife and children, landed at Salem, Massachusetts. Here the family remained forty years, when again the pioneer fever took possession of them and the entire family moved to Shelburne, Massachusetts, which at that time was a frontier settlement, so that the Indians were for years a constant menace to the peace of the community. As time passed, the family again turned their faces westward, seeking the open spaces, some going to western Pennsylvania, some to eastern Ohio, and in 1842 Alonzo Long went to Wisconsin, making his home near Sun Prairie, about twelve miles east of Madison.
There was at that time no railroad in that section of Wisconsin and the farmers hauled their wheat to Milwaukee, a distance of seventy miles, and as there were no graveled roads it took a week to make the journey. The local merchants usually made arrangements with the farmers to haul a load of merchandise for them on the return trip. That was the period of state bank currency, and when a farmer received his pay for a load of grain the only safety for him lay in spending it as soon as possible, for bank failures were numerous, and when a bank went down it carried down a lot of currency, which condition made both pioneering and farming doubly hard.
Several years before Mr. Long went to Wisconsin, Richard Dean and his family removed to that state from near Manchester, England, and purchased a large tract of land sixteen miles east of Madison. Mr. Dean was the father of four sons and five daughters, of whom Mary was next to the oldest. Alonzo Long became a frequent caller at the Dean home and in 1844 he and Mary Dean were united in marriage. To this union were born four children, Tom Dean Long being the youngest and the only one surviving. In 1862 Alonzo Long died, and in 1866 his widow became the wife of Nelson Bacon, who was something of a trader and had come into possession of a thousand acres of land situated in Calhoun county, Iowa. Because of possessing this land, and on account of financial conditions at Deansville, Wisconsin, the family decided to move to Iowa and start over again in a new country. They arrived in Lake City, March 18, 1868, and remained there two weeks while the household goods and other effects were being hauled from Glidden, on the Northwestern railroad, to the new home at Twin Lakes.
Through a peculiar provision of the land laws of the country, central Calhoun county was slow in developing. The south tier of townships was settled in the early '60s by people from Cass county, Michigan. Coon river and Lake creek passed through the southwest part of the county, and along the borders of these two streams there was an abundance of timber. Here the first settlers made their homes. The north tier of townships was divided between the proposed railroad and the homesteaders. Every odd numbered section went to the railroad and every even numbered section was homestead land. In 1867 and 1868 the homesteads were all taken up. Thus there were settlements in the north and the south parts of the county, but the two middle tiers of townships were owned by what were known as speculators. This land lay wild for many years after both the north and south parts of the county were well settled. The Bacon land was in the middle tier of townships and so the Bacon home was four miles from a neighbor, sixteen miles from a store and twenty miles from a mill. Their first home was built of hay and sod. Posts were set in the ground and poles laid from one to another; then across these other poles were laid. Brush was then laid over all and hay on top of the brush, and last, but not least, sod was laid over the hay, the sod having a double purpose, first, to keep out the cold, and second, to protect the hay from sparks from the smoke pipe. It was perhaps a rude combination, but many a weary traveler was glad to spend a night under such a roof.
For a time after the family located here there was no school within traveling distance, and so the younger children received no schooling then. However, after a long controversy with the powers that controlled the township to the north, to which this middle township was attached, a three-months school was provided, and here the Long boys, George and Tom, received a meager education. When Tom D. Long was nineteen years old he left the home farm and went to Manson, where he entered the office of the Journal as an apprentice to the printing trade. His older brother, George I. Long, had purchased a half interest in the paper and shortly afterwards the firm of Long Brothers was formed and took over the entire business. A little later a combination of circumstances brought about a political upheaval. The Journal was the only paper in the county to side with the dissenters and in the political fight that followed it took a leading part. The bolters swept the county from coroner to treasurer and the Journal and the Longs at once became a power in the political affairs of the community. During the more than forty-five years that have elapsed since that contest the Journal and the Longs have retained their prestige.
During his forty-six years' residence in Manson, T. D. Long has served his community as councilman, school director and mayor, and for thirteen years was postmaster. While taking part in both local and state politics for many years, his political connections have been, with few exceptions, in the interest of his friends.l The minor offices he held were taken mostly to convince his opponents that he could be elected if he wished. Although never a member of the legislature, he has been instrumental in having a number of important laws passed. The most far-reaching one, and the one in which he takes the greatest pride, is that creating the state board of conservation and authorizing the establishment of state parks. Some twenty years ago the Journal began advocating state parks for the benefit of the whole population of the state. For a time there was little or no response to his efforts but in 1916 he secured the cooperation of two state senators, P. C. Holdoegel and W. W. Anderson, and the law was passed. Since that time more than forty parks and recreation grounds have been established under this beneficent law.
On June 9, 1883, Mr. Long was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Crilly, who also is the child of pioneer parents, the Crilly family being one of the first to settle near Fort Dodge, in 1856. To Mr. and Mrs. Long have been born three daughters, the eldest of whom died in infancy. The second daughter, Beulah, is the wife of Colonel Casper Schenk, of Des Moines, and the youngest, Merian, is associated with her father on the Journal and Democrat.
S. L. LOVE
Samuel L. Love, who represents a pioneer family of northwestern Iowa, has long been a leader in the farming community of Blaine township. From boyhood his life has been one of unceasing industry, and as the years have passed he has steadily progresses along lines of general usefulness. He was born December 8, 1879, in Ida county, Iowa, and his parents, John C. and Eliza (Brown) Love, were natives of Guilford county, North Carolina. They migrated to the west in 1876, settling on a farm in Blaine township when this region was largely undeveloped, and here they spent the remainder of their lives. The father passed away June 22, 1914, and the mother's demise occurred on the 5th of March, 1915. In their family were six children, three of whom survive.
Samuel L. Love, the youngest of the children, received a common school education and during vacation periods aided his father in the work of plowing, planting and harvesting. He thus gained a practical knowledge of the details of farming and has made this occupation his life work. After attaining his majority he purchased a portion of the old homestead, on which he now resides, and later acquired additional land. He owns a valuable ranch of four hundred acres and has improved his place with good buildings, well kept fences and modern, labor-saving machinery. His land is rich and fertile, yielding abundant harvests, and he also breeds stock on a large scale. His cattle are of high grade and everything about the farm bears evidence of the careful supervision and progressive spirit of the owner.
On December 16, 1908, Mr. Love married Miss Edna S. Ballard, who was born in Sac county, Iowa. Her parents were Henry and Margaret (Barry) Ballard, the former a native of New York state and the latter of Kane county, Illinois. They were married in Illinois and later came to Iowa, locating in Sac county, where both passed away. Eleven children were born to them and five are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Love have become the parents of four children: Lois Lucille, who was born October 22, 1909; Margaret E., whose natal day was August 1, 1911; Sylvia L., who was born November 5, 1917; and Wesley E., born January 6, 1920.
Mr. and Mrs. Love are affiliated with the Presbyterian church and shape their conduct by its teachings. He is a Mason, belonging to Lodge No. 611, F. & A. M., and is also connected with Chapter No. 471, of the Eastern Star, in which his wife has held office. They are hospitable, broadminded and thoroughly genuine and sincere, conscientiously discharging life's duties and obligations, and have many warm friends throughout the township.
W. A. LOVE
William A. Love, a representative agriculturist of Ida county, residing on section 26, Blaine township, is also serving most acceptably in the capacity of supervisor. His birth occurred in North Carolina on the 23d of October, 1876, his parents being John C. and Elizabeth (Brown) Love, both of whom were natives of Guilford county, North Carolina. They migrated to the west in 1877, settling on a farm in Blaine township, Ida county, Iowa, when this region was largely undeveloped, and here they spent the remainder of their lives. The father passed away June 22, 1914, and the mother's demise occurred on the 5th of March, 1915. In their family were six children, three of whom survive.
William A. Love was brought to northwestern Iowa by his parents as an infant and has remained on the old homestead farm in Ida county, now devoting his attention with excellent results to the cultivation of a rich and arable tract of land on section 26, Blaine township. On the 26th of January, 1907 he was united in marriage to Pearl Elizabeth Kramer, a native of Ida county, this state, and a daughter of Henry G. and Ida Louise (Ressmeyer) Kramer, the former born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the latter in Chicago, Illinois. Coming to northwestern Iowa in 1879, Henry G. Kramer settled in Ida county and was here successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits throughout the remainder of his life. His widow resides in Ida Grove, this state. They reared a family of four children, as follows: Alma, who is the wife of Edwin Ramey of Tacoma, Washington; Lillian E., the wife of Maxwell Clouse of Ida Grove, Iowa; Mrs. Pearl Elizabeth (Kramer) Love; and EArl F., living in Chicago.
Mr. and Mrs. William A. Love are the parents of five children, namely: William Earl, John Roland, Henry Kenneth, Dorothy Lorraine and Virgina Irene.
In politics Mr. Love has maintained an independent course, not being bound by party ties. He has been chosen supervisor and is ably discharging the duties devolving upon him in that position. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and his life is guided by its teachings. He is widely known throughout the community in which practically his entire life has been spent, and he has endeared himself to an extensive circle of friends.
C. G. LOWERY
Charles G. Lowery, member of one of the old and prominent families of Iowa, has won success in the investment business and fills an important place in commercial circles of Sioux City. He was born March 5, 1873, in Marshalltown, Iowa, and is of Scotch lineage in the paternal line. His grandfather, the Rev. Frederick B. Lowery, was a Campbellite minister who left Virginia in 1843 and journeyed to the west, settling in Burlington, Iowa. His son, Austin P. Lowery, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a native of Burlington, Iowa, and for many years was numbered among the leading attorneys of Marshalltown, where he had removed at the close of the Civil war. During the administration of President Garfield he was postmaster at State Center, Iowa, and in 1880 was sergeant at arms of the state legislature of Iowa. He fought for the Union during the conflict between the north and the south and was very active in the affairs of the Grand Army of the Republic. He married Cora G. Gilmore, whose parents were of Welsh extraction. They lived for a time in Binghamton, New York, and in the early '40s came with their family to Iowa, settling in Marshalltown.
Charles G. Lowery attended the public schools of State Center, Iowa, and for two years was a student at Drake University, taking a general course. After completing his education he was employed for some time as a traveling salesman by a wholesale grocery house, covering Oklahoma territory. He came to Sioux City in 1914 and for five years traveled for the William Tackaberry Company, wholesale grocers. In 1919 Mr. Lowery started out for himself, entering the investment brokerage business, and acts as local representative of Henry L. Doherty & Company and George M. Forman & Company, both of New York and Chicago, also handling a general line of high class securities. The securities offered by these corporations comprise a diversified list of sound issues, suitable to the requirements of conservative investors, and the rapid growth of the business is due to the enterprise, good management and high ideals of its executive head.
On the 12th of May, 1923, Mr. Lowery was married, in Sioux City, to Mrs. Elizabeth Stacer, and both are popular in social circles of the community. Mr. Lowery has one son, C. Edward Lowery, who attended the Shattuck School at Faribault, Minnesota, for two years, took a course in bond salesmanship with George M. Forman & Company of Chicago, Illinois, and is now employed in his father's office.
Mr. Lowery, is identified with the Masonic order, belonging to Oklahoma City Lodge, No. 36, F. & A. M.; Sioux City Chapter, No. 26, R. A. M.; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.; Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; and Rose Croix Chapter, No. 400, O. E. S. Mr. Lowery is a public-spirited citizens and a capable, farsighted business man, fully alive to conditions in the modern commercial world and possessing the energy, aggressiveness and resourcefulness necessary to cope with them.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index