IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
HAIR, JAMES T., Ed. Iowa State Gazetteer, Shippers' Guide and Business Directory. Chicago: Bailey & Hair, 1865
Was organized in 1858, and is in the second tier of counties from the northern line of the State, and the sixth west of the Mississippi river. It is bounded on the north by Winnebago county, on the east by Cerro Gordo, on the south by Wright, and on the west by Kossuth.
It is watered by Lime Creek in the northeastern portion, and by the headwaters of Iowa River and tributaries of the Des Moines in the central and southern part. There is a lake of considerable size a little north of the centre, and numerous smaller lakes scattered through the county, especially in the northern part.
The general surface of the county is rolling prairie, with good soil, but there is considerable timber on the Iowa River.
UPPER GROVE, the county seat, is situated in the southeastern corner of the county. It has two churches, Christian and Methodist; also two general stores, one flour mill, and furniture and blacksmith shops, &c. Population, 90; of township, 120.
ELLINGTON us a village on Lime Creek in the northeastern corn of the county, and has one general store.
back to Gazetteer Table of Contents
back to Iowa History Project