1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Thirty Seven
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Alonzo H. MILLER -
The history of a county or state, as well as that of a nation, is chiefly a chronicle of the lives and deeds of those who have conferred honor and dignity upon society. The world judges the character of a community by those of its representative citizens and yields its tribute of admiration and respect to those whose work and actions constitute the record of a community's prosperity. Among the residents of Persia, Harrison county, Iowa, who are well known because of their success in business, is Alonzo H. Miller, a retired barber, who by working steadily at his trade for a period of more than thirty years, accummulated a handsome competence.
Alonzo H. Miller was born November 9, 1857, in Madison county, Iowa, a son of Andrew and Lucinda (ALEXANDER) Miller, the former born about 1834 in Indiana, where he was a farmer. He was a soldier in the Civil war, and is now living retired with his daughter, Emma, at Osecola, Missouri. Lucinda Alexander was also a native of Indiana, born about 1835, and her death occurred in 1865. To Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Miller were born four children: Alonzo H., of whom this narrative treats; Mrs. Emma Hartley, a resident of St. Clair county, Missouri; Mrs. Sarah Crampton, of Denver, Colorado, and Elijah, a resident of St. Clair county, Missouri.
Alonzo H. Miller was very young when he first started out in life for himself, being only eleven years old. He attended the district schools of Missouri and Iowa. He first worked at farm labor and afterwards worked in the railroad shops, and at various kinds of labor. In 1883 he went to Missouri Valley, Iowa, where he learned the barber's trade, remaining in that city one year, after which he moved to Persia, Iowa, where he worked for wages the first winter after arriving there, being at the time two hundred dollars in debt. He then bought the barber shop which was to make him a comfortable fortune, starting with practically nothing, but remained at his post of duty thirty long years. In the beginning, Persia was without churches or a hotel. Mr. Miller is now living in a cozy home, retired and alone, his wife having died. He has a library consisting of a splendid collection of books, and has a pet parrot for company. He is the owner of twenty acres of land in the state of Idaho, and was a land owner in Union and Washington townships, in this county, having one-half section. He is a shareholder in the People's Bank of Persia, and also in the Shafer Printing Company, of Omaha, Nebraska.
Mr. Miller was married in 1897 to Mrs. Minnie Zoeler, who was born in 1855 in Ireland, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. CLIFFORD. Her death occurred in August, 1910.
Mr. Miller is an ardent Republican, but has not taken a very active part in political affairs. He is an attendant of church, although not a member of any denomination. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is very active in the work of this fraternal organization, particularly as a Shriner. He has been a delegate to conventions of this order on several different occasions and will attend the next national meeting in the west. Mr. Miller also is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Miller's success in life is unique. Few men who follow a trade acquire the independent competence in life that Mr. Miller has acquired. His success is the consequence of his good business management and foresight. He is eminently respected in the community where he lives for his sterling worth as a citizen, and is well deserving of representation in this volume as one of the substantial and prominent citizens of Harrison county, Iowa.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 560, 561 Family Researcher: NA
Rev. James Frank MINTUN -
This gentleman holds a high position in the councils of the reorganized church of the Latter Day Saints in the middle west and is a well-known native of Harrison county, where he was born in 1855.
At the age of seventeen years, James F. Mintun left his father's farm and commenced school teaching, following this vocation for eight years, after which he served as an obliging clerk for J. M. Harvey at Magnolia, this county. In November 1881, he engaged in missionary work for the Nebraska division of the church of his choice. He continued in this field until 1885, in which year he returned to Magnolia and engaged in mercantile business with A. M. Fyrando and the next year was appointed postmaster at Magnolia, Mr. Fyrando being his deputy. This position he held until 1890, when he resigned. In 1889 he sold his interest in the store and was appointed administrator of the estate of the senior Fyrando, and was also appointed a notary public. In 1888 he was chosen secretary of the old settler's association of Harrison county and held that office many years.
In 1877 Mr. Mintun united with the church of the Latter Day Saints and was made an elder the following year and in September, 1879, was ordained one of the �Seventy� in his church. He has been a power for good in this church throughout Northwest Iowa for a long term of years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity as well as the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 673, 674 Family Researcher: NA
Marvin S. MOATS -
It is always interesting for the biographer to recount the careers of men who have been successful in their vocations, whatever their vocations may be. Physical labor is a mere incident of successful farming today and farming has become such a wonderful business that it offers unlimited opportunities to men of great mental ability. Marvin S. Moats, one of the most enterprising farmers of Harrison county, Iowa, now retired, has gained a reputation which extends throughout the state of Iowa for his success as a breeder of fine stock.
Marvin S. Moats was born March 9, 1856, in Clayton county, Iowa, the son of Peter and Caroline (ESTELLABAUGHER) moats, natives of Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and Germany, respectively. His mother came to the United States when a child about nine years old. His parents came to Harrison county in 1869, having possibly been among the early settlers in Clayton county, Iowa. They were the parents of nine children, of whom Marvin S. was the eighth child.
Marvin S. Moats lived at home until he was twenty-three years old, at which time he married. He rented land in Harrison county for seven years and in 1886 moved to Wayne county, Nebraska, where he rented land for five years more and then bought three-quarters of a section of land. He paid fifteen dollars an acre for one half of the section and twenty dollars an acre for the other quarter section. He sold it in 1909 for seventy-five dollars an acre and came back to Harrison county, Iowa, where he bought three hundred and twenty-two and one-half acres in sections 6 and 12 of St. Johns township. This farm was improved by the erection of a large eight-room house and other minor improvements. In 1914 Mr. Moats built a large barn and has built the latest and most comfortable hog houses, now having one of the best improved farms in Harrison county. The farm and house being situated on the Lincoln highway, the farm is known as �The Lincoln Highway Stock Farm.�
On March 16, 1879, Mr. Moats was married to Lydia COX, who was born January 12, 1857, the daughter of Andrew R. and Barbara J. (DEAL) Cox. Her father was born in Dayton, Ohio, but the family soon moved to Indiana where they lived until 1850, when they came to Iowa, first locating near Loveland. Mrs. Moats was born near Missouri Valley.
Mr. Moat's father was one of the organizers of St. Johns township, Harrison county. They were among the first settlers of the county. The first two elections in St. Johns township were held at his home. In 1852 his home was the only one between St. Johns and Logan.
To Mr. and Mrs. Marvin S. Moats ten children have been born, Letha Burl, Garnet, Ray, Earl, Carrie, Hyrel, Miles, Clayton, Ralph and Berniece. Letha Burl, born December 11, 1880, married T. A. Jackson and lives at Shoals, Nebraska. They have five children, Wayne, Dorothy, Ruby, Waldo and Milo, the two latter being twins. Garnet, born June 8, 1882, married James H. Parker and lives in Pender, Nebraska. They have six children, Reginald, Doris, Harold, Lucile, Lurane and Fern. Ray, born November 7, 1884, married Edna Stoddard and lives in Chicago, Illinois. They have one daughter, Dorothy. Earl, born September 13, 1886, married Mae Parker and lives in Kirksville, Missouri. They have three children, Mildred, Evelyn and Lavaughn. Carrie, born December 13, 1887, married B. H. Divelbess and lives in Harrison county, near Logan. They have one daughter, Elizabeth. Hyrel, born June 27, 1889, married Henry Wriedt, and lives in Emerson, Nebraska. Miles, born April 12, 1891; Clayton, born August 17, 1893; Ralph, born September 11, 1896, and Berniece, born April 26, 1899, are all still at home.
In 1882 Mr. Moats took up the breeding of thoroughbred Duroc-Jersey hogs. His first animals were �Cap Hill,� �Jane� and �Beauty.� He got them from John Orr in La Grange township. He has developed his herd until he has some of the finest hogs in Iowa and Nebraska. He has shown them at the state fairs at Des Moines and Lincoln and has always taken prizes. He sold one boar, that had won the first priz at the Nebraska state fair, for one thousand dollars. He then went to Des Moines and bought a boar, �Proud Chief,� for one thousand dollars. One year later he sold a half interest in this hog for seven hundred and seventy-five dollars and refused twelve hundred dollars for him several times. In February, 1911, he bought �King, the Colonel,� for four hundred and fifty dollars and in two years sold him back to the same party for six hundred dollars. In 1913 Mr. Moats retired from active farming and turned the business over to his sons, Miles, Clayton and Ralph, who promise to become leaders in farming. In 1897 Mr. Moats went into the full-blooded Percheron horse business. He has owned some of the best horses in the middle west and has shown these horses at county fairs only. For a long time he made a specialty of Shorthorn cattle, but in 1911 he sold out his Shorthorns and has now gone into the breeding of Red Polled cattle.
Mr. Moats is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masonic order, in the latter having taken the Royal Arch degree. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and he and his wife and daughters are members of the Eastern Star. His wife was worthy matron of Silver Leaf Chapter No. 202, Order of the Eastern Star, at Randolph, Nebraska, for one year, and was appointed state representative for her lodge. Mr. Moats is a Republican, but has never held offices, always having refused to accept them. While not members of any church, Mr. Moats and family are in sympathy with the cause of the Methodist Episcopal church and have helped to organize several different churches and Sunday schools.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 544, 545, 546 Family Researcher: NA
James J. MOORHEAD -
One of the conspicuous names on the list of Harrison county's active citizens is James J. Moorhead, the well-known stockman and proprietor of a four-hundred-and-sixty-acre farm lying on the outskirts of the town of Dunlap. Mr. Moorhead is a gentleman of high standing to whom has not been denied a full measure of success and he has long been recognized as a factor of importance in connection with the farming and stock-raising industries in this section. He has been identified with the material growth and prosperity of this part of the state, his life having been closely interwoven with history of the county where he has been content to live and follow his chosen vocation for nearly half a century.
James J. Moorhead was born in Hockin county, Ohio, on January 10, 1848, a son of John and Francis (PARK) Moorhead. The father was a native of England and the mother was born in Ireland, but when a small child was taken to England by her parents for permanent residence. There she met and married John Moorhead and shortly after marriage they emigrated to America, locating first in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They remained there but a comparatively short time, however, later going westward into Ohio and settling in Hockin county. There they resided for several years and finally came to this state, locating in Harrison county, and in the town of Dunlap they passed the remainder of their lives. They were the parents of ten children, of whom Robert T., Franklin M. and two infants are deceased. Those remaining are John B., Sarah Jane, Mary Ann, George P., Frances Jeanette and James J., who is the eighth child in order of birth.
Mr. Moorhead received his schooling in his native county in Ohio, attending the little log school of the district. Too much cannot be said in praise of those little old-fashioned schools. The little buildings were most generally of logs, often very crude in construction, as were also the interior furnishings, but they were almost always presided over by some man or woman who had a full appreciation of the importance of their work and instilled into the hearts of the boys and girls under their care many high ambitions and aspirations while training their minds to the best of their ability in the �three Rs.� And while the school days of many of the youths were very limited indeed, the constant drilling in the elements of a good education laid well the foundation for much private study and many of the wisest and best men of the country were indebted to those little pioneer seats of learning for all the school training they ever received. Mr. Moorhead was twenty years old when he came with his parents to this state and he has been a resident of Dunlap ever since, entering prominently into the life of the community and contributing his share in the general upbuilding of business and social interests. Mr. Moorhead has long been known as one of the most prominent stockmen of this section, raising and feeding many cattle and horse in the course of a year. His shipments are considerable and his business shows a steady increase in volume. Fully one hundred acres of his farm lies within the corporation of the town of Dunlap and it is considered one of the best farms of this section.
Mr. Moorhead was married on October 13, 1875, to Mary E. FRANKLIN, daughter of J. B. and Eunice Mary Etta (VASKINS) Franklin, the Franklins being one of the pioneer families of this section, having come to this county some sixty years ago. To Mr. and Mrs. Moorhead have been born four sons, namely: C. C., R. F., R. J., and J. K., the latter of whom died when in his twenty-ninth year.
Mr. Moorhead is a member of the Democrat party. In every phase of life's activities in which he has engaged he has been true to every trust imposed in him and among his wide circle of acquaintances he is known as a man of broad and kindly sympathies.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 626, 627, 628 Family Researcher: NA
William W. MORTON -
There is no more highly respected citizen in Modale, Taylor township, Harrison county, Iowa, than William W. Morton, a distinguished veteran of the Civil War and a resident of this county since 1866. He farmed a few years after first coming to this county and then engaged in the drug business in Modale for a few years. While engaged in this business he was postmaster for nearly a quarter of a century, and has held various other official positions in his township and town, and in every capacity has always proved faithful to the trust reposed in him by his fellow citizens. He has been an active worker in the church and every good cause has always found in him a hearty supporter.
William W. Morton, the son of Eldred H. and Melissa E. (MCMICKEN) Morton, was born in Marion, Kentucky, July 4, 1840. His father was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, but moved to Kentucky with his parents when a small boy. His mother was also a native of Kentucky.
When William W. Morton was about eleven years old the family moved to Des Moines, Iowa, but lived there only a few months, removing to a farm in Oxford township, Johnson county, Iowa. In that county William was reared to manhood and received such education as was afforded by the schools of his neighborhood. He was the eldest of eight children and remained at home until September, 1861. He then enlisted in Company F, Fourteenth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, the regiment commanded by Colonel Shaw. He served with this regiment until he was mustered out on account of disability, in November, 1864. He was wounded at the battle of Pittsburg Landing, April 6, 1862, and also was captured by the enemy. He was incarcerated in a stockade in Macon, Georgia, but was finally exchanged after having been a prisoner for seven months. He rejoined his regiment in January, 1863, and served until the fall of 1864, when he was finally discharged. He had been promoted to second sergeant of his company on account of bravery and distinguished service.
After returning from the war Mr. Morton worked on his father's farm in Johnson county, Iowa, until the spring of 1866. He had married during the war while home on a furlough and after coming to Harrison county he bought a farm in Taylor township, on which he and his young wife started housekeeping. On account of his wound which he had received in his leg during the war he was unable to do heavy farm work, and consequently disposed of his farm and moved to Modale, in the same township, where he bought a drug store. Modale was then a new town, which had just been laid out, on the Chicago & Northwestern railroad, and he had the honor of establishing the first store in the town. He finally sold out the store on account of his prejudice against the selling of whiskey. He then worked in an elevator for a short time, having charge of the milling department. On March 20, 1889, he was appointed postmaster of Modale by President Harrison, being the second postmaster to be appointed in the state by President Harrison. He was postmaster for twenty years and assistant postmaster for four more years, making a total of twenty-four years' service in the office.
Mr. Morton was married, December 5, 1862, while home from the war on a furlough, to Melinda DOTY, who was born in Plymouth, Ohio, a daughter of James Doty. To this union were born six children, five of whom are still living, James L., Martha J., Maud E., Fred B., Robert G. and Mamie A., the latter being deceased. James E., who now lives in Spooner, Wisconsin, married Bertha Hargadine. His wife died in 1912, leaving him with one daughter, Martha. James E. began life when very young as a telegraph operator, in fact, lacking one month of being thirteen years of age when he received his first appointment. He has always been with the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company, and is now division superintendent of the road, having made a remarkable record with this company. Martha J., the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Morton, married C. C. Lightell, and now lives in Omaha, Nebraska, where her husband is a contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Lightell have seven children, Mabel, Fred, Leonard, Alice (deceased), George, James and Endus. Maud E. married Dr. J. J. Bourn and lives in Hannibal, Missouri. Doctor Bourn is the surgeon of the Burlington Railway Company. Fred B. Morton married Alice Whitney and now makes his home in Denver, Colorado, where he is a government inspector in the packing houses in that city. Fred and his wife have five children, William, Harvey, Marguerite, Ruth and Fred, Jr. Robert H. married Delia Gibson and makes his home in Omaha, Nebraska, where he is agent and solicitor for the Wabash Railway Company. He has two sons, Eugene and Lawrence. Mamie, the only deceased child of Mr. and Mrs. Morton, married Albert Bourn, and he is also deceased. The mother of these six children died on April 30, 1902.
In January, 1905, Mr. Morton married, secondly, Mrs. E. J. Willis, who was born near Augusta, Hancock county, Illinois, a daughter of Abijah and Lucinda (BRUNTON) Whitstone. Mrs. Morton had three children by her first marriage, Arthur, Etta M. and Claude C. Arthur lives at Neueva Gerona, Isle of Pines, in the West Indies. He is the publisher of the Isle of Pines Appeal, which is the only English newspaper published on the island. Etta M., who married William Beasley, a minister in the Methodist church, has six children, Pauline, Christine, William, Willis, Margaretta and William, Jr. Claude C. married Lumpka Calb, and lives in Port Arthur, Texas, where he is a surveyor for a railroad company. They have three children, Ada E., Mabel and John P.
Mr. Morton has been a life-long Republican and has been active in his party for many years. He has been mayor of Modale for five years, justice of the peace for sixteen years, and was at one time the clerk of Taylor township and on the school board of Modale. He has never at any time sought for office, having always been the recipient of official favors at the hands of his party without any effort on his part. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church practically all of his life. He has been superintendent of the Sunday school at Modale for twenty years and has always been active in Sunday school work. He is justly proud of his army record, and the government now grants him a generous pension of thirty dollars a month in view of the services which he rendered his country, which is small compensation. Mr. Morton is one of the sterling pioneers of the county and during his residence here of nearly half a century people who know him have learned to love and honor him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 564, 565, 566, 567 Family Researcher: NA
Herman A. MOSS -
Among the really stable elements of American society, none are recognized as of more substantial worth to the communities, which they so ably serve, than those citizens of German birth of descent who have entered upon the duties which confronted them in this newer country with a degree of thoroughness and attention to the details of communal life which necessarily have been productive of results. It is so of all the relations of life. Thoroughness, painstaking care in whatever labor the hand finds to do, accompanied by a proper degree of ambition and a reasonable sense of thrift, certainly will bring the rewards which those who practice these basic virtues so well deserve.
In this connection, it is proper to state here that few among that large and influential population of German birth or descent in this part of Iowa are better known, or more universally popular, than the enterprising and progressive mayor of Persia, Harrison county, and a work of this character certainly would not be complete without a brief, though modest, review of the principal events in his life, setting out the chief steps which have brought him to his present deserved eminence.
Herman A. Moss, mayor of Persia, Harrison county, Iowa, was born in far away Prussia on October 21, 1857, the son of John and Caroline (DUMMER) Moss, six of whose children still are living. Mr. Moss's father, John Moss, was born in Prussia in 1831 and for some years, or during his life in Prussia, followed the life of a sailor. Tiring of the sea and, hearing much of the success which had attended the immigration of numerous of his Prussian neighbors to the great land on the western side of the Atlantic, John Moss determined to come to America. Therefore, he broke up his home in Germany in 1874 and brought his family across the sea and came to Iowa. He first located in Iowa City, where, for a time, he was engaged in the service of a railway express company, later being made ticket agent for the same railway company at that point. Deciding that the greater freedom of the farm would be more to his taste and would afford better opportunities to his family, John Moss came to Harrison county in 1882, where he bought a tract of land in Washington township for thirteen dollars an acre. Here he reared his family and remained until his death, which occurred in 1899. His widow, who was born in Prussia in 1841, is still living on the home farm in Washington township.
Herman Moss, present mayor of Persia, came to America when he was fourteen years of age and worked by the month in Johnson county for six or seven years. He came to Harrison county in 1881, but before coming here, went to Cass county, Nebraska, where he rented a farm, which he occupied for two years. He returned to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1881 and bought a farm of eighty acres of raw land in Washington township, which he proceeded to break up, a year later, and bring to a state of cultivation. In creating his new home he hauled the lumber from the town of Shelby, Iowa, to enter into the construction of his house, the size of the latter being sixteen by twenty-four feet, one and one-half stories high. He set out trees in the further cultivation and beautification of his farm and made such other improvements as were immediately necessary. As the work of his hands began to bring its just reward, he began to add to his acreage and continued his improvements until he finally owned a farm of five hundred and forty acres, most of which is now under a high state of cultivation, and which he still owns.
Deciding to retire from the farm in 1910, Mr. Moss moved, with his family, into the village of Persia, where he immediately entered into all the most active movements looking to the general welfare of the community. So favorably were these activities received by the people of Persia, and so well recognized did Mr. Moss's ability and energy and enterprise become, that in 1911 he was elected to the office of mayor, which office he still holds.
During his incumbency of this important office, Mr. Moss has been able to secure many notable improvements in the town of Persia, his administration not only reflecting much credit upon his own endeavors, but redounding greatly to the advantage of the village. During Mayor Moss's administration, a comprehensive waterworks system and an efficient electric lighting plant have been installed in Persia and the extension of the sidewalks under the Moss regime has also been greatly advantageous to the people of the village. From 1900 to 1914, Mr. Moss was township clerk and now is president of the school board and secretary of the telephone company. In addition to his large farm holdings, Mr. Moss is a stockholder in the Persia Savings Bank and has a valuable home lace in the town over which he presides so efficiently as chief executive.
Mayor Moss was united in marriage with Mary A. HOLDERNESS in 1876, who was born in 1858, a native of New York state, the daughter of Robert and Mary (RAGG) Holderness, both of whom were natives of England and who came to this country in a sailing ship.
To the union of Herman A. and Mary A. (Holderness) Moss seven children have been born, as follows: Mollie, wife of F. M. McKee, who resides in Woodbine, Iowa; George, who is postmaster at Persia, Iowa. He was graduated from the high school at Dennison, Iowa; Caroline, wife of C. E. Hunewell, residing in Persia; John A., who also lives in Persia; Etta, deceased; Dewey, at home with his parents, and one who died in infancy.
Mayor Moss, and his family, are members of the German Lutheran church, in which all take an active interest; he is a Democrat, and is an active member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, taking an earnest interest in the affairs of the lodge in the town of Persia.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 816, 817, 818 Family Researcher: NA
George W. MOTZ -
The Motz family came to Harrison county, Iowa, in the fall of 1853, and the various members of the family have been connected with the history of this county since that year. George W. Motz was born in this county nearly sixty years ago and has devoted his active career to general farming and stock raising in Clay township.
George W. Motz, a son of Jeremiah and Leah D. (KAYWOOD) Motz, was born October 3, 1856, in Magnolia township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents were natives of Pennsylvania and Indiana, respectively, and were married in Indiana in 1851. Three years later they started down the Ohio river and up the Mississippi and Missouri to St. Mary's, in the state of Missouri. From there they took the stage to Coonsville, or Glenwood, as it is now known, and in August of 1853, located in Harrison county, where they lived the remainder of their lives, Jeremiah Motz dying in 1903, and his widow seven years later. He was the first road supervisor in the western part of the county and took an active part in the early history of the community in which he lived.
George W. Motz was one of eleven children born to his parents and the third in order of birth. He was given such education as was afforded by the schools of his boyhood days and remained at home until he was married. He then bought eighty acres of his father's farm in Clay township. It was new land and had never been touched with a plow when he secured it. He bought an old saw-mill shed, and from the lumber in this one building erected a house, stable, corn crib and hog pen. His house was sixteen feet square and contained only one room, and in this he lived for the first thirteen years after his marriage. He then built his present comfortable home and has also added a good barn and other outbuildings at various times. As he prospered from year to year he added to his first eighty acres until he now owns two hundred and forty acres of excellent farming land.
Mr. Motz was married October 11, 1877, to Merinda MILLS, who was born in Warren county, Indiana, a daughter of Wesley and Mary J. (CASSIDY) Mills. Her parents came to Iowa in 1866, and to Harrison county in 1873.
To George E. and Merinda (Mills) Motz were born nine children, five of whom are living, Stonewall Jackson, William W., Frank, Charles S. and James C. S. Jackson, who married Mary Smith and lives in Taylor township, has three children, Fred, Guy and Linna H. William W. married Lillian Seeger and lives in Clay township. He has two children, Lawrence and Francis. Frank, a farmer of Taylor township, married Lorena Thomas, and has one daughter, Vesta. Charles S. and James C. are still living at home. The deceased children are Ada, Charlotte, Floyd and Lloyd. Ada married S. B. Boyd, and at her death left her husband with three children, Fern, Ada and Lois. Charlotte died when she was two years of age, and Floyd and Lloyd, twins, died in infancy.
Mr. Motz is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and he and his wife both hold their membership in the Daughters of Rebekah. He is a stanch Democrat and has been clerk of his township for six years, justice of the peace for eighteen years, and also a member of the school board for several years. Mr. Motz gives his hearty support to the Christian church, of which denomination his wife is a member.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 563, 564 Family Researcher: NA
Jacob L. MOTZ -
For more than forty years Jacob L. Motz has been living on his present farm, the same being part of the land which his father bought shortly after he located in Harrison county in 1853. Mr. Motz is one of the most progressive farmers of Clay township, where he owns seven hundred acres of excellent farming land. Few farms in the county give more evidence of thrift and progressive methods than the farm owned by Mr. Motz, and for this reason he may truly be ranked among the most enterprising farmers of the county.
Jacob L. Motz, the son of Jeremiah and Leah (KAYWOOD) Motz, was born August 27, 1873, on the farm where he is now living in Clay township. His parents were born in Pennsylvania and Kentucky, respectively, and located in Indiana before their marriage. After their marriage in that state they came to Iowa, and located in Harrison county in 1853. Jerry Motz bought a farm in Clay township, and on this he and his wife reared a family of eleven children, Jacob L. being the youngest of the family. For additional details regarding this family the reader is referred to the biographical sketch of George W. Motz, presented elsewhere in this volume.
The education of Jacob L. Motz was received in the country schools of his immediate vicinity. He remained at home until his marriage and during that time learned the rudiments of general farming and stock raising. He is always at the forefront of the progressive farmers of his neighborhood, and now does his plowing with gasoline tractors, which is only one of the many modern methods which he has instituted in his farming. He has a beautiful country home, excellent barns, granaries and cattle sheds of all kinds. He annually feeds about one hundred head of cattle and a carload of hogs for the market.
Mr. Motz was married September 3, 1895, to Ella BOZWELL, who was born August 18, 1876, in Mills county, Iowa, a daughter of Thomas Bozwell, a native of Indiana. To this union were born six children, all of whom are still living, as follows: Clarence, born April 10, 1898; Emma, born December 12, 1901; Nellie, born March 25, 1904; Hattie, born September 19, 1907; Ray, born June 30, 1909, and Lester, born November 13, 1912.
Mr. Motz is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the encampment at Mondamin. The Democratic party has received his hearty support since he reached his majority, but on account of his extensive farming interests he has never taken an active part in political affairs. Mrs. Motz is a member of the Christian church and while Mr. Motz is not an active member, yet he is a supporter of that denomination.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 567, 568 Family Researcher: NA
Stonewall Jackson MOTZ -
One of the leading young farmers of Taylor township, Harrison county, Iowa, is Stonewall Jackson Motz, who has spent his whole career in this county. After receiving a good education he settled down to the life of a farmer and now owns two hundred and forty acres of well-improved land in Taylor township, where he is living. He is progressive in everything he undertakes and the success which has attended his efforts thus far indicates that he will one day be one of the most substantial men of his community. He is one of the many young men who have attended college and then engaged in farming, and it is a hopeful sign to see an ever increasing number of young men who are not lured away from the farm on account of college education. Mr. Motz has taken a prominent part in the history of his community and is justly looked upon as one of its representative members.
Stonewall Jackson Motz, the son of George W. and Marinda (MILLS) Motz, was born on October 29, 1878, in Clay township, Harrison county, Iowa. His father was born on October 3, 1856, in Magnolia township in this county, a son of Jeremiah and Leah D. (KAYWOOD) Motz, natives of Pennsylvania and Indiana, respectively. Jeremiah Motz and wife were married in Indiana in 1850, and in the spring of 1853 located in Harrison county, Iowa, where they spent the remainder of their lives.
George W. Motz was reared to maturity in this county and was married on October 11, 1877, to Marinda Mills, who was born in Warren county, Indiana, a daughter of Wesley and Mary J. (Cassidy) Mills. The Mills family came to Iowa in 1866 and in 1874 located in Harrison county. George W. Motz and wife are the parents of nine children, five of whom are still living. The reader is referred to the biographical sketch of George W. Motz, presented elsewhere in this volume, for further details concerning the family history.
Stonewall J. Motz is the oldest of the children born to his parents. He received a good common school and high school education at Modale and during the winter he was twenty-three years of age he attended Highland Park College at Des Moines, Iowa. He remained at home until he was married, after which he began farming for himself in Clay township and three years ago moved to his present farm of two hundred and forty acres of land in section 2 and 3 in Taylor township, on which he has placed many extensive improvements. It is safe to say that few farmers in the county have met with a greater measure of success than he, considering the time which he has been working for himself. He annually feeds about one car load of cattle and one car load of hogs for the markets, feeding most of his grain to his live stock.
Mr. Motz was married on January 4, 1905, to Mary E. SMITH, who was born in Johnson county, Nebraska, a daughter of George M. and Sarah A. (MCGREW) Smith. Her parents came to Harrison county about 1894 and are still living in the county. Mr. and Mrs. Motz are the parents of three children, Freddie, born on August 16, 1908; Guy, born on September 16, 1910, and Linnie, born on August 17, 1912.
Mr. Motz is a Democrat and has served as assessor of Clay township. Mrs. Motz is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and while Mr. Motz is not an active member, he gives his support to this denomination. He is well informed on the current issues of the day and takes an active and intelligent interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of the community in which he resides.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 790, 791, 792 Family Researcher: NA