1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Thirty Six
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
John L MCCLANNAHAN -
There are few men in Harrison county, Iowa, who have had more interesting experiences than J. L. McClannahan, who is now living a retired life at Mondamin. Born in Ohio, and reared in that state, and in Indiana, he came to Iowa when he was fifteen years of age and later located in Nebraska. Before reaching manhood he had started to drive an ox team to Salt Lake City, and later went on to California. He worked in a half dozen of the western states, mining and doing various other things. By the time he was twenty-three years of age, he had returned to his old home in Iowa. At that time he had passed through more experiences than usually falls to the lot of average man. He remained in Iowa only a short time, however, going on west to Denver, Colorado. He returned to Harrison county in 1867 and here he has since made his home. Few men in the county have held more official positions than Mr. McClannahan and no one has held them more satisfactorily. He has prospered, but his prosperity has been the direct result of his own legitimate efforts. At the same time he has so lived as to merit the high esteem in which he is held throughout the county.
John L. McClannahan, the son of Andrew and Catherine (ASHCRAFT) McClannahan, was born on July 9, 1841, in Muskingum county, Ohio, the second in order of birth of seven children born to his parents, who were both natives of Ohio of Scotch-Irish descent. The family moved from Ohio to Greene county, Indiana, in 1847, where they lived until 1856. In that year the family drove through in wagons drawn by two yokes of cows, and arrived on June 10, 1856, in Harrison county, Iowa, just south of Magnolia. The cows which patiently pulled the wagons across the plains also supplied the family with butter and milk along the road. The McClannahans remained in Harrison county until that fall, when they moved across the Missouri river to Cummings City, Nebraska, which town had just recently been started.
John L. McClannahan received most of his education in Indiana, and after removing with his parents to Nebraska, began to work by the day for farmers in the immediate neighborhood. When seventeen years of age he went to Nebraska City, where he secured a job as a driver on a freight crew, going across the plains to Salt Lake City. He was one of thirty-six drivers and each driver had charge of six yoke of oxen. He was an employee of contractors for the United States government and remained with them until the wagons were safely across the plains and in Salt Lake City. From that point Mr. McClannahan went on to California and remained in Los Angeles until January, 1859. He lived in California and Nevada for about five years, during which period he spent most of his time in the mines. At one time, while working in a tunnel, a big boulder fell on him and broke his thigh. At that time there was ten feet of snow in the mountains. His friends sent for a doctor and the trip both ways being made on snow shoes. The doctor was only four miles away, but it took six hours to make the trip. Mr. McClannahan made considerable money while mining, but, like most of the western miners at that time, saved very little of it.
Mr. McClannahan returned to Ohio on a visit in 1864 and shortly afterward located in Harrison county, Iowa, his parents again having moved to this county. He remained home one winter and then went to Denver, where he stayed for several months, driving oxen. He returned to Harrison county in 1867, where he married and bought forty acres of swamp land in Clay township. He built a rude log cabin, in which he and his young wife started to housekeeping. He lived in this cabin for eight years, and then bought another eighty acres of land, on which a house already had been built. Mr. McClannahan rented his farm in Clay township and moved to Mondamin in 1888. At the same time he bought eighty acres in Morgan township, on which he built a good house. He has since added to this Morgan township farm, until he now has one hundred and twenty-seven acres of land in that township, besides his town property. He has a very comfortable city home, which is modern and up-to-date in every way. He owns three hundred and ten acres of the best bottom land in Clay township and also eighty acres two miles north of the Missouri Valley fair grounds, in St. Johns township, owning altogether five hundred and thirty acres in Harrison county. That he has been successful as a farmer, is amply evidenced by his extensive land holdings. He is president of the Mondamin Savings Bank, an institution in which he is heavily interested as a stockholder.
Mr. McClannahan was married on May 27, 1867, to Frances TEETER, who was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, a daughter of Isaac K. and Elizabeth (BROWN) Teeter, natives of Pennsylvania, who came west at the same time that the McClannahan family did. Mr. and Mrs. McClannahan have three children, Rosa, May and Everett E. Rosa married Dr. J. L. Tamisea, of Missouri Valley, and has one child, Xavier. May married E. M. Hitchcock, a farmer of this county, and has three children, Francis, George and Will McClannahan. Everett E. married Jessie E. Brawley and died in January, 1911, leaving six children, Mildred, Naomi, John, Fern, Beth M. and Kenneth E. Kenneth lives with his grandfather, since his mother's death. Everett is secretary of the Morgan township school board.
Mr. McClannahan has always taken an active interest in the civic life of his community. He has been a life-long Democrat and always active in its deliberations. He has served on the town council of Mondamin for ten years and on the school board for three years. He also served for three years on the school board of Clay township, of which township he has also been trustee for three terms and assessor for one term. While living in Morgan township he was also trustee of that township, and in all of these official positions has given his fellow citizens faithful and conscientious service. He has now retired from active life, but still gives his personal supervision to his extensive land holdings. He is one of the pioneers of the county and is eminently entitled to representation in the annals of his county's history.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 889, 890, 891, 892 Family Researcher: NA
James MCCOID -
This gentleman will be recalled as the genial proprietor of the Rock Bottom Flouring Mills, at Logan, Iowa. He was born in Muskingham county, Ohio, in 1828. His father was a native of Ireland and his mother of the Isle of Guernsey, near France. James started out in life on his own account when eighteen years old by working on a farm in Indiana, at six dollars and fifty cents the month. He was married in 1861 to Emeline STRIKER, a native of Ohio, and to this union were born ten children, Mary, Geneva M., Allie, Effie, Berta, James V., Thomas, Lee, Winnie and Harry. Hundreds of persons who had grists ground at his mills at Logan will recall James McCoid as a man of ability and integrity of character.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 654 Family Researcher: NA
Julius S. MCDONALD -
The year 1873 marked the beginning of the connection of the McDonald family with the history of Harrison county, Iowa. Julius S. McDonald came here with his parents in that year when he was nineteen years of age and has since made this county his home. As a general farmer and stock raiser he ranks well with the most enterprising farmers of Taylor township, and in every respect if well worthy of the high esteem in which he is held by those who know him.
Julius S. McDonald, the son of D. P. and Mary A. (SHARP) McDonald, was born in Clinton county, Ohio, March 15, 1854. His parents were both born in Ohio and were married in that state. They came to Iowa in 1856 and located in Appanoose county, where they made their home until 1873. In that year the family came to Harrison county, bought land in Taylor township and there the parents spent the rest of their lives. D. P. McDonald was a member of an Iowa regiment during the civil War. He was taken prisoner at Diamond Grove, Kansas, by the Confederates, and was confined in a prison in Tyler, Texas, for eleven months before he was exchanged. When he was taken to prison he weighed two hundred pounds, and when he was released he weighed only ninety pounds. Six children were born to D. P. McDonald and wife, five sons and one daughter, Julius S. being the fourth child.
The education of Julius S. McDonald was received in Appanoose county, Iowa. He came with his parents to Harrison county and at once began working out by the day. Three years later he began renting land and for five years lived on rented farms in Harrison county. He then bought his present farm in section 11 of Taylor township. He first bought ninety-five acres and later added forty-five acres more, still later purchasing an additional forty, making a total of one hundred and eighty acres in one tract. The farm was poorly improved when he bought it, but he has built a new house, good barn, granaries and other outbuildings, so that he now has a well-improved farm in every way. He makes a specialty of Duroc-Jersey hogs and Red-Polled cattle and has been very successful in handling his live stock. He is a stockholder in the Magnolia Creamery Company and in the C. Hofer Lumber Company, of Council Bluffs.
Mr. McDonald was married on November 16, 1879, to Caroline GARNER, who was born in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and is a daughter of Henry and Anna (MAHONEY) Garner, natives of Maryland and North Carolina, respectively. To this union three children have been born, Pearl, Ruby and Naomi. Pearl, who was born on May 8, 1881, married James Phillips, and lives on her father's farm. She has four children, Virgil, Arlen, Vida and Gladys. Ruby, who was born on January 12, 1884, married W. R. Adams, of Logan, and has one daughter, Levina. Naomi, who was born on June 24, 1886, married J. E. Reedy, and makes her home in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Naomi and her husband have three children, Donald, Mildred and Francis.
Mr. McDonald is a Republican and has always taken an active part in the political life of his community. He has been trustee of Taylor township and held minor offices in such a way as to win the approval of his fellow citizens. He is a member of the Church of the Latter-Day Saints, and has been a minister in that denomination for nearly twenty years. He is a man interested in the general welfare of his community and never fails to give his hearty support to all measures of general benefit to the community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 789, 790 Family Researcher: NA
Richard D. MCEVOY, D. D. S. -
A prominent citizen of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is R. D. McEvoy, who has been practicing dentistry in that city since the spring of 1900. He has not only been one of the leaders of his chosen profession in the city, but has been one of the leaders in many activities in the life of the community. He belongs to that class of men who are interested in the things about them and never fails to give his hearty support to any measure which he feels will be of general benefit to the body politic.
Dr. R. D. McEvoy, the son of Edmund and Mary (KELLY) McEvoy, was born at Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, January 14, 1870. His parents were both natives of Ottawa, where his father was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1871 Edmund McEvoy came to the United States and located in LaGrange township, Harrison county, Iowa. He farmed in that township until 1888, and then moved to Adair, Iowa, where he lived for some time. His wife died in Missouri Valley, and his death occurred in Canada, where he was visiting at the time. Edmund McEvoy and wife were the parents of nine children, two of whom are living in Harrison county, Dr. R. D. and M. T., the latter of whom is employed in the bank at Mondamin, Iowa. Eight of the children are still living.
Doctor McEvoy was only about one year old when his parents came from Canada to Harrison county, Iowa. After completing the common- and high-school courses of this county, Doctor McEvoy spent one year at Creighton University at Omaha. He then entered the Chicago College of Dental Surgery and was graduated from that excellent institution in the spring of 1900. On May 14th of that year he located in Missouri Valley for the practice of his profession and has built up a large and lucrative business in the city and throughout the county.
Doctor McEvoy was married April 8, 1901, to Mattie FITZPTRICK, of Churdan, Greene county, Iowa, and to this union two children have been born, Dorothy, aged twelve, and Leonard, aged ten. Doctor McEvoy and his family are loyal members of the Catholic church.
In the civic life of his community Doctor McEvoy has borne a prominent and honorable part. He has taken a leading part in Democratic politics and has served on the city council. He was a member of the Commercial Club at the time the streets were paved, and was one of the influential factors in bringing about his desired improvement. He is secretary of the library board, president of the Auto Club, a member of the Commercial Club and has served on its board of directors. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Modern Woodmen of America. He also is a member of the Iowa Dental Association and the National Dental Association, and has served as president of the District Dental Association of Iowa. In addition to his other interests in Missouri Valley, he owns a well improved farm three and one-half miles southwest of the city and takes a keen interest in modern agriculture. He is a director and stockholder in the States Savings Bank, of Missouri Valley, and a counsellor of the Lincoln Highway Association. Dr. R. D. McEvoy is a genial and wholesouled man who has a large acquaintance throughout the county and is distinctly one of the representative men of his community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 763, 764 Family Researcher: NA
J. Frank MCGAVREN -
The McGavren family is one of the old pioneer families of Harrison county. The grandfather of J. Frank McGavren having located at the old town of St. John, Harrison county, about 1854. The family has long been identified with the agricultural interests of this county and four generations have lived on the same farm in St. Johns township, about two miles south of Missouri Valley. The father of Jr. Frank McGavren was instrumental in getting the Mormons out of western Iowa, and a man who exerted a great deal of influence in the early history of the county.
J. Frank McGavren, the son of G. W. and Sylvania K. (KEHLER) McGavren, was born in the little village of St. John, Harrison county, Iowa, November 10, 1886. His father was born in Hardin county, Iowa, in 1849, and his mother in Etna Green, Indiana. G. W. McGavren was a son of Dr. Robert McGavren and came to Council Bluffs with his parents on May 6, 1850, when he was about one year of age. It took six weeks for Doctor McGavren to make the trip by boat. Council Bluffs at that time was called Kanesville, and the family settled in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and lived there until about 1854. In that year the family moved to Harrison county and located in St. Johns township in the village of St. John, and there G. W. McGavren lived until his death, with the exception of a few years which he spent in Missouri Valley.
G W. McGavren was a farmer and stockman and a very successful man of affairs. He fed large numbers of cattle and hogs for the marker, and one winter made thirty-two trips to Chicago with cattle for the markets. He died June 23, 1902, at the age if fifty-three, and his widow is now living with her son, J. Frank, in St. John. Seven children were born to G. W. McGavren and wife, and J. Frank is the only one living. His father had previously married Eliza C. Roland, but the one child born to his first union is deceased.
When the McGavrens came to Council Bluffs there were only two mercantile houses in the village and these were housed in rude log cabins. The maternal grandmother of J. Frank McGavren, Mrs. James K. Chinworth, was a native of Ohio and lived in Indiana the greater part of her life. She is now in her ninetieth year and lives with her son and daughter, F. C. Kehler and Ida Chinworth, at old St. John, in this county.
J. Frank McGavren was educated in the public schools of the county and in the Missouri Valley high school, and as a young man he worked on his father's farm and later engaged in the grocery business in Missouri Valley for a time. He now lives on his farm two miles south of Missouri Valley, the same farm which has been in the hands of the family for more than sixty years. The farm is well improved and is one of the most productive in the county.
Mr. McGavren was married June 12, 1907, to Dessie V. GAVER, the daughter of Mrs. E. J. Gaver, of Missouri Valley, and to this union two sons have been born, William and Bruce.
Mr. McGavren is a Democrat, and has been one of the local leaders in his party since reaching his majority. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, belonging to the lodge at Missouri Valley. He is in the full vigor of young manhood and has already demonstrated those qualities which make the good American citizen.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 586, 587 Family Researcher: NA
John S. MCGAVREN -
One of the pioneers of Harrison county, Iowa, is John S. McGavren, who was born in St. Johns township at the opening of the Civil War and has spent his whole life in this county. After graduating from college Mr. McGavren practiced law for a few years and then became connected with the First National Bank as cashier, a position which he has held for the past quarter of a century.
John S. McGavren, the son of Dr. Robert and Elizabeth (KIRKLAND) McGavren, was born in old St. Johns, now Missouri Valley, Iowa, January 11, 1861. His father was born in Pennsylvania and came to Iowa about 1850 and located just over the line from Harrison county in Pottawattamie county, and some time later Doctor McGavren moved to Harrison county and helped organize the town of St. Johns, which later became absorbed by Missouri Valley. He was one of the first settlers in St. Johns, which was established as a town December 5, 1857, and was one of the petitioners asking for the establishment of the town. Doctor McGavren had settled on a farm in Ohio temporarily after leaving his native state of Pennsylvania and came from that state to Iowa and entered government land in the woods of Pottawattamie county. Shortly afterward he moved over into Harrison county and lived here the remainder of his life. He owned the first hardware store in Missouri Valley, which was destroyed in the big fire of 1872. He was a member of the board of supervisors in the early government of the county and an active factor in the general welfare of the community. He bought and sold land, but disposed of most of his real estate holdings before his death. The old home farm he reserved for his children. Dr. Robert McGavren and wife were the parents of six children: James K., deceased; G. W., deceased; Mrs. Mary E. Boies, Missouri Valley; John S., of Missouri Valley; H. S., of San Francisco, California, and Hugh A., who died in infancy. The parents of these six children have been dead many years.
John s. McGavren was educated in the schools of St. Johns, and in Missouri Valley. In the spring of 1878 he entered the college at Ames, Iowa, and was graduated in 1881, in what was then known as the scientific course. Two years later he was graduated from the law department of the Iowa State University at Iowa City, and at once returned to Missouri Valley and began the practice of law with Mr. Dewell, a partnership which continued until September, 1890, at which time Mr. McGavren gave up the practice of law and became the cashier of the First National Bank of Missouri Valley. Mr. McGavren is recognized as an able financier, a fact which is evidenced by his long connection with the bank.
Mr. McGavren was married in October, 1889, to Nellie M. BELL, of Clarence, Iowa, a daughter of H. M. Bell, and to this union six children have been born, Ward R., who is married and lives in Missouri Valley; Ruth, who is teaching in the public schools at Missouri Valley, Iowa; Stough A., a student in Ames College, Iowa; Herbert and Ewart, twins, and John Stanton, who is still living with his parents and attending the public schools of Missouri Valley.
Mr. McGavren is a Democrat in politics, but owing to his business connections has never taken an active part in political affairs. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Knights Templar and the Shrine. He is a half owner in the Darting & McGavren canning factory at Glenwood, Mills county, Iowa, and also has farming interests in this county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 770, 771, 772 Family Researcher: NA
James W. MESSENGER -
The histories of some men read like a romance and few men in Harrison county, Iowa, have had a more romantic career than James W. Messenger, now one of the largest and most substantial farmers and stock raisers of Douglas township. Several years ago he walked into this county with a dollar and a half in his pocket, and all of his possessions consisted of the clothes which he wore on his back. Today, this same impecunious youth, who came into the county several years ago, owns three hundred and forty acres of land, for which he would not now take one hundred and fifty dollars an acre. It takes no vivid imagination to show that Mr. Messenger must have employed his talents to good advantage. It is small wonder that his broad acres are such a pride to him. He has made everything he has by his own individual efforts.
James W. Messenger, the son of Edward and Eva (LANTZ) Messenger, was born in Warren county, Iowa, December 19, 1867. His parents were born either in West Virginia or Pennsylvania, and located in Warren county, Iowa, in April, 1865. Edward Messenger served three years and a half in the Civil War.
James W. Messenger was fourth of eight children born to his parents. He received a limited common-school education and, when sixteen years of age, came to Harrison county alone and hired out to work on a farm in Allen township for fifty cents a day. He worked by the month for seven years, in both Harrison and Monona counties. He found that he was not able to make much success while working for other farmers and determined to have a farm he could call his own. With this idea uppermost in his mind, he came to Harrison county and, although he only had a dollar and a half in his pocket, he rented a farm and saved his money with the intention of buying land for himself. For twelve years he rented and, during all of this time, lived frugally and with one idea in mind � and that to own a farm of his own. He bought his first one hundred and sixty acres in sections 17 and 18, in Douglas township in 1902, paying forty dollars an acre for the land. He moved on the farm a year later and has since been working for himself. He bought one hundred and eighty acres of land in 1910, for which he paid ninety dollars an acre, and now has one tract of three hundred and forty acres, all in sections 17 and 18, of Douglas township. Some idea of the value of this land may be gained from the fact that he has refused an offer of one hundred and forty-five dollars an acre for it. He makes a specialty of feeding cattle and hogs for the market and is one of the largest feeders in the county. He feeds and ships about ten carloads of cattle and five carloads of hogs every year, which averages about two hundred head of cattle and four hundred head of hogs. His farm is well improved and everything about the place shows that he is a man of thrifty habits.
Mr. Messenger was married on February 3, 1891, in Logan, Iowa, to Jennie ISOM. To this union have been born four children, all of whom are living at home: Ralph, born on July 25, 1892; Jessie, born on October 5, 1896; Floyd, born on December 19, 1903; and Ethel, born on October 29, 1909.
Mrs. Messenger was born on November 8, 1874, in Fremont county, Iowa, and is a daughter of William H. and Sarah A. (DAUGHERTY) Isom. Her parents were natives of Alabama and Missouri, respectively. Her father served in the Confederate army for a time.
Mr. Messenger and his family are active workers in the Methodist Episcopal church. The Republican party receives his support, but, on account of his extensive farming and stock raising interests, he has never been active in political matters. He has never been a candidate for public office, feeling that there are others who are probably better qualified to hold an official position. He is a man of pleasing appearance, genial in his manner and is rightly classed among the most progressive farmers and stock raisers of Harrison county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 913, 914, 915 Family Researcher: NA
Elvin C. METCALF -
Although he has been a resident of Harrison county, Iowa, since 1908, yet Elvin C. Metcalf has already demonstrated his right to be classed among the progressive farmers of the county. Locating in Raglan township he has improved his farm and now ranks among the best corn producers of the county, having had very gratifying success in corn culture.
Elvin C. Metcalf, the son of William and Mary (WATKINS) Metcalf, was born January 16, 1872, in Grange township, Woodbury county, Iowa. His parents were both natives of New York state, his father coming west to Smithland, Woodbury county, in 1852. His mother came with her parents to Correctionville, Iowa, in 1856.
William Metcalf was a soldier in the Civil War, serving as a member of Company B, First Dakota Cavalry. He was wounded by a bayonet thrust in the leg, but recovered and rejoined his regiment, serving for about three and one-half years. He was a farmer and an influential man of the community where he lived for many years. Five children were born to William Metcalf and wife, three of whom lived to maturity.
Elvin C. Metcalf and his twin sister, Mrs. Effie Worth, were the eldest children of the family. He received his education in the schools of Woodbury county, and remained at home until he was married. His sister had previously married and moved to Harrison county. In 1908, two years after his marriage, Mr. Metcalf decided to locate in this county, where he bought one hundred and twenty acres of swamp land in Raglan township, there being only seven acres of it in cultivation when he acquired the farm. The excellent system of drainage which has been installed in this section of the county has made his farm one of the best and most productive in this section of the state, and now all of it is under cultivation. He makes a specialty of Reed's yellow dent corn and utilizes practically his whole farm in its production. He has won many valuable prizes at the various corn shows and intends to go into the business of raising corn for seed. He is now planning to raise high class hogs and no doubt will be as successful in this direction as in the raising of corn. Mr. Metcalf attends the short courses given by the State University and never fails to attend all of the corn shows in this section of the state. In fact, he is one of the most progressive farmers of the county, and never hesitates to adopt modern methods when he sees they will fit the conditions of his own farm.
Mr. Metcalf was married on Christmas day, 1906, to Floy G. WORTH, who was born in Woodbury county, Iowa, on September 23, 1886, and is a daughter of William T. and Nancy J. (GIFFORD) Worth. Her parents were natives of Jacksonville, Illinois, and Burlington, Iowa, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Metcalf are the parents of three children, William M., born February 29, 1908; Erma Aileen, born December 20, 1910; Leona, born May 17, 1914.
Mr. Metcalf gives his support to the Democratic party, but has no desire whatever to enter the political field. He takes an intelligent interest in the life of the community about him and can always be depended upon to give his hearty support to all measures of public welfare.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 866, 867 Family Researcher: NA
N. A. MIKKLESON -
The Danish-American citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, have been universally successful in whatever line of work they choose to follow. Some of the most substantial farmers of the county have come from Denmark, and among this number N. A. Mikkleson occupies a prominent place. Starting out in a very humble way, as a farmer, Mr. Mikkleson now has more than three hundred acres of excellent land in Little Sioux township, and his prosperity is the direct result of his own individual efforts. Notwithstanding the fact that he has been so successful in a material way, he has not neglected to take an active part in the civic life of his community, and has held various official positions with satisfaction to his fellow citizens.
N. A. Mikkleson, the son of Rasmus and Amelia (HANSEN) Mikkleson, was born on February 9, 1866, in Denmark. His parents came to the United States about 1870, and landed at Boston, Massachusetts. His father had been a weaver in his home country, but upon coming to the United States, he worked as a day laborer in Boston for the first two years. The family came west and located in Monona county, Iowa. Some Mormons had squatted on a claim in the hills, but the senior Mikkleson bought them out for ten dollars, and in a dug-out which the Mormons had constructed, the family lived for three years. There were seven in the family and the dug-out had only one room, but it was the best they could do. When the family left the train at Dunlap, there were nine of them and their worldly assets consisted of five dollars in cash. Rasmus Mikkleson settled down to work with that energy which characterizes the people of his race and eventually became a substantial and influential citizen of Monona county. Several years ago he retired from active work and is now living a life of ease and retirement in Onawa, Monona county, Iowa. Mr. Mikkleson does not know very much concerning his mother's family. It is known that they were originally from France, and fled from that country during the French Revolution and took refuge in Denmark.
N. A. Mikkleson was four years of age when his parents came from Denmark to Boston, Massachusetts, and six years of age when they located in Iowa. He received his education in the district schools of Monona county, and remained at home until he was married. He then bought one hundred and twenty acres of land in Monona county, for which he paid thirteen dollars an acre. He improved this farm and, a few years later, bought sixty acres more. He lived on his Monona county farm for ten years and then sold it for thirty-five dollars an acre. He invested his money in land in Harrison county in 1901, buying three hundred and twenty-seven and one-half acres in Little Sioux township. He paid thirty-five dollars an acre for this land and since then has been offered one hundred and twenty-five dollars an acre for it, which shows the remarkable increase in land values since he first acquired the farm.
When Mr. Mikkleson came here with his parents, the farmers in Iowa did all their plowing with oxen, and, in fact, they hauled their grain to market with oxen. Today, Mr. Mikkleson hauls his grain to market in more modern ways, and he even uses a gasoline engine to do all of his plowing. He can now plow more land in half a day than his father could plow in a week with oxen, and do it better and with infinitely more ease. With his farm of more than three hundred acres, Mr. Mikkleson is an extensive grain and stock raiser, feeding most of his grain to stock, which he fattens for the market. Few farms in the state are better equipped for progressive farming and Mr. Mikkleson ranks among the most progressive of his county.
N. A. Mikkleson was married on February 4, 1889, to Christina MATTISON, who is also a native of Denmark, a daughter of Peter Mattison and wife. Her mother died when she was a small girl. Her parents came to the United States in 1886 and located in Monona county, Iowa. N. A. and Christina (Mattison) Mikkleson have seven children, six of whom are living, Rasmus, October 15, 1890, died on March 22, 1898; Sophia, born on October 15, 1892; Sena, September, 1894; Harry, March 22, 1898; Raymond, July 5, 1900; Stella, July 27, 1904; Glenn, March 9, 1912. Sena is the only child married. She married Floyd Alton and lives on a farm in Little Sioux township, and has one son, Leo M.
The family are loyal members of the Lutheran church and are greatly interested in all of its activities. Mr. Mikkleson is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He has always given his loyal support to the Democratic party. He has served on the school board and was treasurer of that body in his township for four years. He has also been trustee and at the present time is serving as treasurer of his township. In every official position, he has rendered his fellow citizens faithful and efficient service, and, consequently, is eminently deserving of the high esteem in which he is held by everyone who knows him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 963, 964, 965 Family Researcher: NA