1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Thirty Five
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
William B. LOGAN -
Among the enterprising farmers of Taylor township, Harrison county, Iowa, may be mentioned William B. Logan, who has been engaged in general farming and stock raising in this county for many years. Born and reared in the state of Iowa, Mr. Logan came to this county after he had reached man's estate, and has since made it his home. He started in a humble way and by good management and ceaseless industry has acquired a very comfortable living for himself and family.
William B. Logan, the son of John and Martha (FORTUNE) Logan, was born March 28, 1858, in Independence, Iowa. His parents, who were natives of Ohio and Kentucky, respectively, reared a family of seven children, William B. being the eldest of the family.
The education of William B. Logan was received in the schools of Independence, Iowa, where he made his home until he reached his majority. At that time he left home and went to Colorado, where he worked a few months. He next found employment in Omaha, where he drove mules on the Omaha & Sioux railroad, which was then being constructed. He worked for the railroad company for a few months and then went to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and engaged in farming. While living in that county he was married, and after farming there a few years he moved to Harrison county and located in Taylor township, where he has since resided. While raising all of the crops of this locality he has given particular attention to stock raising and feeds about a carload of cattle and sixty head of hogs for the market annually. He has found by experience that the greater portion of the income can be derived from a farm in the sale of live stock and consequently gives this phase of farming the most attention.
Mr. Logan was married January 3, 1882, to Verona FOX, who was born January 6, 1852, in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, a daughter of Basil and Martha A. (BELL) Fox. Her parents were born in Putnam county, Indiana, and came west at an early date. Mrs. Logan was the fifth of twelve children born to her parents. About 1898 the Fox family moved to Missouri Valley, where the parents spent the remainder of their lives.
To William B. and Verona (Fox) Logan have been born nine children, eight of whom are living, Arthur D., who was born July 28, 1899, having died May 13, 1902. Three of the children are married, Martha, Ryland and Katie. Martha, who was born May 7, 1883, married Jesse Hillman and lives in Clay township. She has three daughters, Opal, Vesta and Helen. Ryland, who was born December 19, 1885, married Stella Jackson and lives in Taylor township. He has one daughter, Lucile. Katie, who was born October 15, 1887, married Lee Earnest, a farmer of St. Johns township. They have two sons, Lloyd and Floyd, twins. The other five children are still single and living at home, John W., born October 29, 1889; Hazel M., born August 14, 1893; Maud O., born October 8, 1896; Fern H., born July 11, 1901; Mae Bell, born May 13, 1903.
Mr. Logan is a Republican, but has never been active in political affairs. He has held various minor offices in which he has demonstrated that he is a faithful servant of his fellow citizens and worthy of the trusts reposed in him. The family are earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church and generous contributors to its support.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 574, 575 Family Researcher: NA
Austin LOWREY -
Inflexible honesty, keen business perception, and a good stock of common sense, have given Austin Lowrey high rank in social circles of his locality, and he is welcome in any home in his neighborhood. Intelligent, appreciative, and altogether honorable, Mr. Lowrey is the kind of man who is highly respected by every one.
Austin Lowrey was born on April 8, 1869, in Douglas township, Harrison county, Iowa, one and one-half miles northwest of his present home. He was a son of John B. and Helen M. (DUEL) Lowrey, who were natives of Stl Lawrence and Saratoga counties, New York, respectively. Mr. Lowrey is one of two children, the other being Viola M. She married Charles P. Davis and has seven children, two girls and five boys, Ralph, Hazel, Robert, Frank, Leslie, Hugh and Helen.
John Lowrey, the father of Austin, was born on March 27, 1841, and his wife was born on May 16, 1842. He was the son of John and Nancy (Wilder) Lowrey, the former of whom was a Methodist Evangelical minister, as was his son. John Lowrey, Sr., was born in the northern part of Ireland and came to the United States when he was but two years old, in he early part of the year 1800. His wife, Nancy Wilder, was of English descent, but was born in Vermont. He was a charter member of the Wesleyan Methodist organization.
John Lowrey, Jr., was a Methodist Evangelical minister and during the Civil War was sent south to minister to the negroes and colored soldiers. He was bitterly opposed by the white residents of the south and several attempts were made to shoot him. After the war, in 1865, he came west, stopping one year in Fremont county, Iowa, and in 1866, when the railroad was being built, came to Harrison county and located near the place where Woodbine now stands. He first bought forty acres of land, paying five dollars an acre for it. Soon after, he traded his holdings for a one-hundred-and-sixty-acre tract, added, from time to time, to his land holdings until at one time he owned four hundred and forty-six acres. John Lowrey sold out his farm at this place in December, 1901, and in March, 1902, he moved to Woodbine, where he had previously purchased a home in the western part of the town, the lot containing two and one-half acres. John Lowrey has since made his home in Woodbine, his business being the buying and selling of Harrison county land.
After coming to Harrison county, John Lowrey had charge of the Congregational society until the town of Dunlap was founded. The first meeting place of the church was in a school house, and after he stopped preaching, Mr. Lowrey was a deacon of the church for a number of years.
Austin Lowrey attended the public schools of Woodbine and later the Wesleyan Normal College, of Shenandoah, Iowa, and stayed home until after his marriage, as he was the only boy and thought it was his duty to help manage his father's farm. John Lowrey bought for his son, Austin, one hundred and twenty acres in 1890, on which Austin now lives. Austin later purchased forty acres west of his present farm, but sold it in 1912, and bought one hundred acres in section 4, of Douglas township.
Making a specialty of feeding cattle and hogs, Mr. Lowrey, every year, ships about eight carloads of stock; he also sells considerable stock, locally. He built the house in which he now lives in 1910. It contains eight rooms and is thoroughly modern in every particular, being equipped with electric lights, waterworks, furnace, hot and cold water and bath. The barns, cattle sheds and other outbuildings are of excellent quality and indicate industry and prosperity.
Mr. Lowrey married Carrie E. BAKER on July 28, 1896, who was born in Woodbine, the daughter of Elwain and Nettie (CHAFFEE) Baker, the former of whom was a native of New York and the latter a native of Vermont. To Mr. Lowrey and his wife six children have been born, all of whom are boys. John B., born on May 27, 1897; Elwain B., born on September 7, 1899; Austin B., born on August 21, 1901; F. L. Lyman, born on March 1, 1903; Donald F., born on October 14, 1907, and Woodrow Wilson, born on May 10, 1913. All of these children make their home with their parents.
Mrs. Lowrey's maternal grandmother was a member of the Fairbanks family, the same family from which Vice-President Fairbanks and the Fairbanks Seal families are descended. The Fairbanks homestead is the oldest in the United States and is now owned by the Fairbanks descendants. It is known as �Dedham� and is ten miles from Boston. A reunion is held there each June.
Mrs. Lowrey's father was born twenty miles east of Buffalo, New York. Mr. Baker also comes from a historic family, one of his ancestors being a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Austin Lowrey is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His political affiliations are with the Republican party and he has, at all times, taken an active interest in local politics, having been at different times, township trustee, township clerk and, for many years, has been justice of the peace. He and his family are members of the Presbyterian church and they taken an active interest in the welfare, growth and activities of the church, as they have been members ever since their youth.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 915, 916, 917 Family Researcher: NA
Marion Herbert MAHONEY -
It is a pleasure for the biographer to write of the lives of successful farmers who are at the same time representative citizens of their community. These men are the bone and sinew of American citizenship and without them our institutions and our progress would count for little. One of the representative citizens and successful farmers of Harrison county is Marion Herbert Mahoney.
Marion H. Mahoney was born December 18, 1868, in Raglan township, Harrison county, Iowa, the son of Theodore and Emily (WAKEFIELD) Mahoney. They were natives of Maryland and Illinois, respectively, the father coming from near the Chesapeake bay and the mother from Peoria.
Theodore Mahoney was the son of Stephen Mahoney, one of the first settlers of Harrison county. He owned and operated the first saw-mill and grist mill in Harrison county and it was he who sawed the lumber for Harrison county's first court house at Magnolia. The mill was located about a mile and a quarter northeast of Magnolia on the Willow river. Theodore Mahoney also operated in later years the grist- and flour-mill which was located on the Soldier river. The biographical sketch of Stephen G. Mahoney, presented elsewhere in this volume, recounts other incidents of the Mahoney family history.
Marion Herbert Mahoney was the third child of a large family of boys. He received a common-school education and spent six months taking a business course at the Western Iowa College at Council Bluffs. He lived under the paternal roof until he was married and then settled on his present farm, which then was a part of his father's estate. He has since added to the original farm and now owns two hundred and fifty-five acres of good land all in Taylor township. The soil on this farm has all been formed by the overflow of the Soldier river.
In 1894 Mr. Mahoney built a good house and barn and he has since added to the improvements by a large barn and crib, tool sheds, etc., and now owns one of the best farms in Harrison county. Mr. Mahoney engages in general farming and stock raising. He makes a specialty of thoroughbred Hereford cattle and hopes to be a contender for ribbons at future fairs. His present herd, though small, is of the best quality. Mr. Mahoney is a practical farmer and stock raiser and is truly a representative citizen.
Marion H. Mahoney was married November 8, 1893, to Dora F. STOWELL, a prominent school teacher of this county, who was born July 24, 1870, in Raglan township, Harrison county, the daughter of John and Evelyn (GURLEY) Stowell, who were natives of Athens, Ohio, and Peoria, Illinois, respectively. To Mr. and Mrs. Mahoney three children have been born, two of whom are living, X. Ray, born February 1, 1899; Ruth S., born July 1, 1902, and Ethel M., who died in infancy.
Mr. Mahoney is a Republican. He has held several minor offices, but does not profess to be a politician in any sense of the word. While he is not a member of any church, he is a strong believer in the principles of the Christian religion and especially of right living. He and his family are eminently respected in their community and are keenly and actively alert to all questions that pertain to the public interest of the public welfare.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 570, 571 Family Researcher: NA
Stephen G. MAHONEY -
The Mahoney family have been residents of Harrison county, Iowa, since its early history, and have been prominent factors in making this county one of the leading agricultural sections of the state. Mr. Mahoney has engaged in general farming and stock raising since reaching his majority and has met with good success year after year in his chosen life work. He has been a prominent factor in the civic life of his community and has held various official positions with eminent satisfaction to all concerned.
Stephen G. Mahoney, the son of Theodore and Emily (WAKEFIELD) Mahoney, was born March 26, 1875, in Harrison county, Iowa, near Modale. His parents were natives of Maryland and Illinois, respectively, his father being of Irish descent and his mother of German and Scottish descent.
Theodore Mahoney was the son of Stephen Mahoney and wife. Martha Beaver was born in Barnsley, England, and came to the United States about 1848, where she was married to Stephen Mahoney, who was his second wife, his first wife dying in Maryland when quite young. She was born in Elkhorn, Maryland. In April of 1850, with about one hundred and thirty other emigrants, the Mahoney family started with their ox teams and wagons for the far west, which was then the Missouri river. They had started west with the intention of joining the Mormons, who had already gone from New York state to the west, but when they reached Council Bluffs, Iowa, they heard that the Mormons were practicing polygamy, so they decided to go no farther. They first located at Kanesville, now Council Bluffs, where the family lived until 1852. In that year the Mahoneys came to Harrison county and located on Willow creek about one and one-fourth miles northeast of Magnolia. Their first home was a sixteen by sixteen foot log cabin with split shingles and a puncheon floor.
Stephen Mahoney, Sr., set up the first saw-mill in Harrison county. He obtained his power by building a dam across Willow creek in order to have water enough to operate the mill. He sawed lumber for the first county court house at Magnolia, as well as for all the frame dwellings and stores which went up in the county seat. In 1853 he added a grist-mill to his establishment which was a very welcome addition indeed. Previous to this time the settlers had to go as far as Kanesville in order to get their grain ground and then had to wait for three or four days before their turn came. As has been mentioned before, the Mahoneys came west with the intention of joining the Mormons, but owing to their hatred of polygamy they remained east of the Mississippi river and were among those who organized the Reorganized Church of the Latter-Day Saints. There were seven sons in Theodore Mahoney's family, of whom Stephen G. was next to the youngest.
Stephen G. Mahoney lived at home until he was married. He received a common-school and high-school education and later attended the State Normal at Albion, Idaho, for one year. He was married and lived on the home farm for a time, and after his father's death the estate was sold and he and his mother and brother, Edward, bought eleven hundred and twenty acres of land in Butler county, Kansas. They lived in that state for four years, and then exchanged their farm for five hundred and thirteen acres in Raglan township in Harrison county, Iowa. In 1903 Mr. Mahoney took his share of the farm and later bought one hundred and twenty acres more. Mr. Mahoney has made many improvements upon his farm and by giving due attention to stock and grain raising he has made a very comfortable income from his farm each year.
Mr. Mahoney was married in Wichita, Kansas, April 24, 1900, to Olive CLAYTON. She was born in Illinois, October 29, 1879, and is a daughter of Albert and Elizabeth (DUNCAN) Clayton, both natives of Illinois, of English descent. Mrs. Mahoney's parents went to Kansas from Illinois in 1898. Mrs. Mahoney died October 8, 1913, leaving her husband with two children, Kenneth, born March 6, 1901, and Lyle, born May 2, 1907.
Mr. Mahoney is a Republican in politics and has always taken an intelligent interest in local political matters. He was on the school board for four years and president of the board for two years. He is now serving as trustee of Raglan township and giving his fellow citizens conscientious service in this capacity. His wife was a member of the Presbyterian church and he is a hearty supporter of the same denomination. Mr. Mahoney is a man of sterling character and many admirable traits, and has a large circle of friends and acquaintances throughout the county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 860, 861, 862 Family Researcher: NA
Joseph MARROW -
The late Joseph Morrow was for many years one of the most prominent farmers of Raglan township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents were among the very first settlers of the county and the family have been prominent factors in the development of Raglan township for nearly sixty years. Mr. Marrow was a life-long farmer, a public-spirited citizen and a man who was a valuable asset to the community in which he lived. Of sterling character and high ideals he lived such a life as to commend him to those with whom he was associated, and in all that goes to make the good American citizen, he stood high in the locality where he spent the years of his active life.
Joseph Marrow was born in Canada, August 27, 1851, and died at his country home in Raglan township, Harrison county, Iowa, on the 15th day of July, 1884. His parents, Patrick and Elizabeth (HASSON) Marrow, were natives of Ireland and located in Canada before coming to the United States. In 1856 the family came to Harrison county, Iowa, and located in Raglan township, where Joseph Marrow later spent the most of his life. The family were driving through this county and stopped along the Soldier river to camp for the night. The scenery and the fertile land caused them to permanently locate in this county, and become its earliest pioneers.
Joseph Marrow was about five years old when his parents settled in Raglan township. He was the sixth in order of birth of the ten children born to his parents. He received his education in the district schools of his boyhood days and helped his father with the work on the farm during his minority. After his marriage he moved to a farm south of the old homestead and lived there until after his father's death. He then moved on to the old home farm and bought land from time to time until at his death he was the owner of three hundred acres of land in the township. Devoting himself to general farming and stock raising he gradually became one of the substantial men of the township and left to his children an estate as a result of his unceasing industry.
Mr. Marrow was married, November 14, 1875, to Sarah STEWART, who was born January 13, 1857, in Washington county, Ohio, and was a daughter of Hugh and Ann (MCBRIDE) Stewart. They were natives of County Antrim, Ireland, and came to this country before their marriage. In 1873 the Stewarts located in Harrison county, Iowa, and bought land in Magnolia township, where they lived the remainder of their lives. They were also the parents of ten children, of whom Mrs. Marrow was the sixth child born to her parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Marrow reared a family of five sons, all of whom are still living, William, Maurice, Frank, Hasson and Joseph. William married Lottie Cross, and lives in Morgan township. He has three children, Stewart, Cecil and John. Maurice married Effie Phillips, and lives in Raglan township. Frank, Hasson and Joseph are still living with their mother on the old home farm in Raglan township.
Mr. Marrow was a loyal member of the Catholic church, as are all the family. He was a Democrat, but never took an active part in political life. His sons are now following farming and are among the most progressive farmers of the township. Mr. Marrow was an ideal husband and father and lived such a life that his name will always be cherished by his children and honored by those who knew him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 872, 873 Family Researcher: NA
John U. MARTI -
The function of a biography is not to give voice to a man's modest estimate of himself and his accomplishments, but rather to leave upon the records the consensus of opinion of his neighbors and fellow citizens as to his character. In touching upon the life history of John U. Marti, fulsome encomium and extravagant praise are avoided, yet the life of Mr. Marti has been characterized by perseverance, energy and well-defined purpose, as well as a broad charity. Such is the opinion of those who have known Mr. Marti longest and best.
John U. Marti was born on January 6, 1881, in Scott county, Iowa, and is a son of Bartley and Margaret (REESE) Marti, the former born in 1857, in Scott county, and reared on a farm there. He came to Harrison county in 1882, where he purchased two hundred acres of land in Harrison and Pottawattamie counties. He farmed in Washington township, Harrison county, until his death, which occurred in 1887. His wife was born in 1862, in Scott county, Iowa, and after the death of her husband in 1887, she was married a second time to William Dollen, a native of Germany. At the time of this sketch he is farming the old home place.
John U. Marti was one of three children by his mother's first marriage, he being the eldest. Lillie died in infancy, while Rosa lives in Tama county, Iowa. By her second marriage, Mr. Marti's mother had two children, Elsie, who married Carl Kubelck, of Union township, and Mrs. Nellie Pitman, of Woodbury, Iowa. The mother of these children died in 1912.
John U. Marti was reared on a farm, attended the schools of his home neighborhood, and was also a student of the Minden school for three years. When twenty years old, he started working by the month and continued at this for three years. Later, he purchased eighty acres of land in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and, after making many improvements on this place, sold out, after which he worked in a hardware store in Minden, Iowa, for a short time, and was engaged in various lines of endeavor until 1912, when he moved on his farm of forty acres, to which he has since added forty acres just east of Persia, in Washington township.
John U. Marti was married in 1904, to Alvina SANDERS, who was born in 1884, in Germany, a daughter of Christian and Anna (PAULSEN) Sanders, both natives of Germany, where they remained all their lives. Mrs. Marti left her native land in 1896, and after coming to the United States, lived in Manning, Iowa, for a short time, and then came to Minden, where her marriage took place. John Marti and wife are the parents of two children, Elsie and Elvin, twins.
Mr. Marti is a Republican. He and his family are members of the German Lutheran church. He is a member of the Woodmen of the World and the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. He is a representative citizen of Washington township and popular in the community where he lives.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 888, 889 Family Researcher: NA
Prof. C. C. MATTER -
Among the names which should ever be preserved in the annals of Harrison county, Iowa � especially in the vicinity of Woodbine � is that of Prof. C. C. Matter, who was one of the three gentlemen who founded the Woodbine Normal School.
Professor Matter, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Elias Matter, was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1849, and died at Le Mars, Iowa, Tuesday, March 26, 1895, of apoplexy.
C. C. Matter obtained a good education, beginning with public common schools of his native state, later attending the Iowa State University, Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, the agricultural college at Ames, and several business colleges in the west, including St. Joseph, Missouri. He received the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts. He was one of Iowa's most thorough educators. He came to Iowa in 1865 with his parents, the family locating at Blairstown, and there he remained until his coming to Harrison county in 1875, he then being about twenty-six years of age. He taught in the public schools here and in 1878 was promoted to the principalship of the Woodbine schools, which position he held with credit and great efficiency until the founding of the Woodbine Normal School in 1887. He held such position by virtue of his exceptional fine educational qualifications. Before teaching in Woodbine, he had taught the schools in Bigler's Grove, in Clay township, the spring and fall terms at the Patton school in Magnolia township, taking charge of the schools at Woodbine during the winter of 1876-77. He taught there until the spring of 1879, when he removed to a prairie farm in Carroll county, near the town of Glidden, where he lived one year and returned to Woodbine in the summer of 1880 and taught constantly until the founding of the Woodbine Normal School, which was effected by himself, and Professors Kinney and Riddell. Professor Matter remained in this institution until the summer of 1891, when he withdrew and moved to Wisner, Nebraska, where he was principal of the public schools. On account of ill-health he resigned from his school duties and in 1892 he resumed his work at Pender, Nebraska, where he continued until the month of June, 1894, then removed to Le Mars, Iowa, where he became proprietor of the Le Mars Normal School and Business College, which he had worked in season and out of season to build up into a strong educational institution of the northwestern part of Iowa. He was suddenly called from earth's shining circle, to try the realities of another sphere. The able management of the two normals which he had the honor to aid in organizing he left on a solid basis, and many are the alumni of both schools that have gone forth fully equipped for the duties in the great battle of life, and who ever hold his name in grateful remembrance. They are today filling places of trust and honor by virtue of the training and sound personal advice given them by Professor Matter, who ever took a lively interest in the welfare of all of his students.
At the funeral of Professor Matter, which took place at Woodbine, the deceased's standing in the county was evidenced by the long procession of old and young that accompanied his remains from the railway station to the Methodist church and cemetery. The deceased educator was also honored by a large delegation of Masonic brothers from Le Mars and Missouri Valley, that order having special charge of the funeral services. To have known and to have been associated with this truly excellent man was but forever to remember his name as among the best of early-day citizens � really a good and just man.
In his youth Professor Matter was a member of the Evangelical church, but during the last dozen or more years of his earthly career he was identified with the Methodist Episcopal church. He also was an honored member of the Masonic, Odd Fellows and Ancient Order of United Workmen fraternities.
Professor Matter was married in November, 1878, to Mary Jannette SELLECK, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Selleck, pioneers of Boyer township. To this union were born three children, Lloyd S., Tena L. (Mrs. H. A. Farnsworth) and a daughter who died in infancy. The son and daughter who survived the father now reside near Woodbine in homes of their own, while the mother is now the wife of Will L. Clark, of Woodbine.
It was said of the deceased educator, at his death: �He was a man of generous deeds, thoughtful actions and noble impulses. Though of a masterful spirit, by the strength and breadth of brain power, he was ever thoughtful of the weakest person whom he could cheer. His dealings with his students were ever marked by impartial kindness.�
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 630, 631, 632 Family Researcher: NA
Frank H. MCCABE -
Frank H. McCabe, the eldest child of John C. McCabe, above mentioned, biographically, was born in Magnolia township, Harrison county, Iowa, April 17, 1870, and was educated at the public schools of this county. He remained on his father's farm until 1889 and then for a few months was employed in the shops at Missouri Valley, but in December, 1889, moved to Logan and entered The Observer office where he learned the printer's trade in all of its branches. Later he became editorially connected with the paper, under his father, and upon the latter's death in 1911 succeeded to the business and is still successfully conducting the paper.
On September 28, 1897, Mr. McCabe was married to Maude HEDGES, daughter of Rev. Thornton K. Hedges, at one time a Presbyterian minister of Logan, Iowa. The McCabes are Presbyterians and Mr. McCabe is identified with the Masons and Modern Woodmen of America. As was his father, the present editor of The Logan Observer is a Republican. He was postmaster at Logan from January 10, 1898, to March 1, 1906. Many changes were made in the various departments of this office during his term and all the affairs of the office were conducted on strict business principles.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 655, 656 Family Researcher: NA
John C. MCCABE -
Among the pioneers of Harrison county who are justly entitled to a place of prominence in the annals of this county is the late editor and proprietor of The Logan Observer, who for twenty-one years exerted a wide influence in the county and state, by reason of his fair, clear and open editorials, many of which were widely quoted throughout the state and nation.
John C. McCabe was born near the line of King county, New York, May 5, 1840, a son of Francis and Elizabeth (CONNAUGHTY) McCabe. The father was a native of County Cavan, Ireland, born in 1817. He married at the age of nineteen and sailed for America, landing at New York harbor, April 16, 1840, after a six weeks' voyage on the Atlantic. For six years the family resided near Albany, New York, then moved to Canton, Massachusetts, fifteen miles from Boston, where they remained until 1848, in which year they emigrated to a point near Oshkosh, Wisconsin, locating on a farm where the father died May, 1884. The wife and mother died February 11, 1863, aged fifty-five years.
John C. McCabe attended the common district schools in Wisconsin, until nineteen years of age, assisting his father to clear up a farm, the surface of which was covered with heavy timber and rubble. As a monument to this work the old stone fence still remains, the same having been built from the stones gathered about the premises. Mr. McCabe also attended the high school at Oshkosh after which he bade adieu to Wisconsin and on August 30, 1861, went to Scott county, Iowa, where for three months he clerked for an uncle. He then taught school until 1864, after which for eight months he traveled in different states and territories. He had decided to cross the plains, but upon arriving at Council Bluffs, concluded he would abandon the trip west and he retraced his steps to Harrison county, locating in Raglan township. That summer he worked for Charles Gilmore on the farm, and in the winter commenced teaching school, which vocation he followed until 1880. He taught at least five months each year of this time, his service covering four townships in Harrison county. In the spring of 1867 he purchased a farm in sections 12 and 13, Raglan township, the same containing one hundred and twenty acres. He carried on the work of this farm and kept up his teaching at the same time. In the winter of 1869-70 he went to the Missouri bottoms, having a contract to saw railroad ties for the Sioux City and Pacific (now Northwestern) Railroad Company. We next find Mr. McCabe farming on shares in Magnolia township, but in the spring of 1870, he bought one hundred and twenty acres in section 28, Allen township, the same being unimproved prairie land. He there made substantial improvements and moved to the place in 1871. He worked hard and saved his earnings, and wisely purchased two hundred acres to add to his original tract, this giving him a half section of valuable land. Among the improvements he made on this farm was an orchard which proved to be a valuable one, and one in which he took great delight.
For about twelve years prior to 1887, Mr. McCabe served as deputy county surveyor, and in the autumn of the year just named he was elected to that office. On April 24, 1888, he moved to Logan to assume control of the surveyor's office. The next important public move made by this gentleman was when he mounted the tripod in the office of The Logan Observer, which newspaper plant he bought in December, 1889. From the first Mr. McCabe seemed suited to the position of editor. He liked the duties thus imposed upon him and made a first-class county paper, which grew in strength and importance as the years rolled by. As a surveyor he was well fitted for every important duty of the office and was one of the best posted men in matters concerning the lands and the descriptions of their surveys that ever looked upon the face of a land surveyor's compass, or checked to the words �stick-stuck� of a chainman hereabout.
John C. McCabe was united in marriage November 27, 1866, to Cordelia I. PATCH, a native of Ohio, who was born June 19, 1847, a daughter of Joel H. and Hannah (ROBINSON) Patch. To this union five children were born, as follow: Frank H., born April 17, 1870, now owner and editor of The Observer, at Logan, Iowa; John A., born July 24, 1871, deceased; Clark, born October 22, 1872, deceased: Daisy R., born August 26, 1878, and Robert M., born November 14, 1880. The last named in now advertising manager for the Branden's store at Omaha, and his sister, Daisy, is connected with The Logan Observer as an assistant to her brother Frank H.
Mr. McCabe was an uncompromising Republican and was never ashamed of the general teachings of his party. It is true, however, that when the party platform did not contain the principles which he thought were right and just to the masses, he did not fail to take issue and say so boldly in the columns of his paper. He stood for principle and not for men, unless such men stood for that which was just to the general community.
Mr. McCabe was connected with the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, and had been identified with the Presbyterian church since 1897. For years he was much interested in Sunday school work and was superintendent of the Presbyterian Sunday school at Logan.
The good wife and mother passed from earth June 12, 1900, her death being a great affliction to Mr. McCabe whose tastes were all for home and its hallowed surroundings and who never was happier than when seated at his own fireside. He bravely bore the sad bereavement, however, and labored on as before. During the early months of 1911 Mr. McCabe's health failed and he soon knew that his months were few on this side the dark river. For many weeks he remained at home trying to baffle the disease, which was of the stomach, but all to no avail, as it proved to be a cancerous growth. Surrounded by his family and friends, his spirit took its flight October 1, 1911, just as Nature was putting on her robes of autumnal beauty, tinged with amber and gold, the scene being one of garnered harvests, typical of the life-long work of him who had departed this life.
The estimate placed upon the career of Mr. McCabe, by the editor of The Missouri Valley News, who did not always agree with the deceased editorially, but did have great confidence in and esteem for him, will be found in the following words: �John C. McCabe was a good citizen. He was ever a reformer. He believed that while this world is growing better, it was his duty always to forward improvement along all lines tending to the civilization of mankind, the development of resources, the embellishment of his surroundings, the improvement of his social life � the schools, the churches, the lodges, the farmer's clubs and library work. He was verily a pioneer in all good works, looking to the betterment of mankind in his country, and for that reason Harrison county is indebted not a little to his newspaper influence for good and cheerful words, throughout the trying and sometimes doubtful years of the passing decades.
�The News� and its editor often differed from McCabe on many occasions, and warred with him editorially on many subjects, yet never without the full consciousness of his ability, and due regard for his high character as a man and a citizen, as well as an editor of good repute. His work is done. His trestle-board is laid aside. His tripod is folded for all time. His pen is rusted in its stock. His voice is silent in the grave, but his high and noble purposes have become a part of our permanent public possessions, for this is the nature of our editorial work. It seems to perish as it is written, but it then only begins to live. A thought takes root here and a suggestion sinks in good ground, a high resolution is caught somewhere, perhaps by some school boy or girl and by them flung to the winds in a song and on and on it goes doing good unto thousands, even to unborn generations. In such work was Mr. McCabe useful. His paper fell into happy homes where children played till they learned to decipher the meaning of the printed page from which they formed opinions of right and wrong. Whole communities have their ideas of temperance, of frugality, of industry, of honor, of chastity and social purity moulded from the columns of that clean paper and these ideas exist today, clean cut and never fading from the public mind and that is monument enough for any man.�
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 645, 646, 647, 648 Family Researcher: NA