1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Thirty Four
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
H. B. KLING -
The success of a business, or vocational career, depends upon character as well as upon knowledge, confidence being an essential factor in any undertaking. In every community, there are men, who, by reason of pronounced ability or some special trait, have risen above their fellowmen and have come to be considered representative citizens. One citizen of Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, who can rightly be so designated, is H. B. Kling, president of the First National Bank, vice-president in the Peoples Savings Bank, and ex-representative from Harrison county to the Iowa State Assembly, for three terms.
Mr. Kling is a native of the Badger state, having first seen the light of day in Walworth county on May 23, 1845, being a son of Jacob R. and Emily (BLISS) Kling. Both parents were Easterners by birth, the father coming from the state of New York and the mother from Massachusetts. When she was a young girl, her people removed to New York state and there she met and married subject's father. Shortly after marriage they went to Wisconsin, locating in Walworth county, where they remained until 1885, at which time they came to this state and took up their residence in Harrison county. The father had been trained from boyhood in the routine of farm work and it was to that line of work he devoted himself throughout his life. Their closing days were passed in this county, in Woodbine.
Mr. Kling is one of a family of seven children, being the second child in order of birth. The eldest is a daughter, Mary, who is deceased. The others are Celia, Willard, Edith, Frank and Ruby.
Our subject received his elementary education in the early district schools of Walworth county, Wisconsin, and later took the more advanced work at the Milton Academy, located in the town of that name which is in Rock, the county adjoining Walworth. In that academy he studied for two terms, after which he went to Stoughton, a thriving town, near Madison, and where he became identified with the broom-manufacturing business. He remained here for nine years, when he came to this state where he established himself a citizen of Woodbine, this county. Soon after coming here he became identified with the sale of lumber, grain, coal and farm implements and gave twenty-five of the best years of his life to these various lines, being associated with George A. Mathews, their firm style being Mathews & Kling. Upon completing the quarter of a century in the business above mentioned, Mr. Kling retired from activity, having amassed a competence and was able to pass his remaining years in complete relaxation from business cares, if he so desired. His only business connections at the present time are with the First National Bank, of Woodbine, and the Peoples Savings Bank, of the same place, in the former of which he fills the office of president and in the latter, vice-president.
Mr. Kling has always taken an active interest in politics and has filled many offices within the bestowal of the citizens of Woodbine, such, for instance, as member of the city council, school board and others. He is a stalwart Republican and was by his party elected representative from Harrison county to the twenty-ninth, thirtieth and thirty-first General Assemblies of the state of Iowa, being the years of 1902, 1904 and 1906, respectively. By reason of his long business career in Woodbine, and his activity in public affairs, probably no citizen of Woodbine is better known than the immediate subject of this sketch and, throughout the years of his usefulness his name has come to be known as a guarantee of all that is fair and square, whether in business or politics.
Mr. Kling was married on April 11, 1872, when he led to the altar Miss Flora E. ALLEN, daughter of Frank and Anne Allen, who were originally from New York state, but who passed the later years of their lives in Wisconsin, where Mr. and Mrs. Kling were married. To this union were born two children, the elder a daughter, Bessie, who is the wife of N. Nelson, and resides in Omaha, Nebraska. The younger child is Herbert A., who fills the responsible position of one of the chief clerks in the office of the Bell Telephone Company, in New York City, and who has his home in Westwood, New Jersey.
In the religious life of the community, Mr. Kling is an attendant of the Presbyterian church, standing stanchly for all those things which tend to elevate humanity and lead others to the better life. Mr. Kling is a man of many excellent traits of character and, because of this fact and his genial disposition, is held in high esteem by all who know him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 944, 945, 946 Family Researcher: NA
Rush C. LAHMAN -
The Lahman family came to Harrison county in 1866 and in that year John Lahman, the father of Rush C., the present editor and owner of the Missouri Valley Daily Times, opened a harness shop in Missouri Valley. Rush C. Lahman practiced dentistry in his younger years, but since 1909 has been engaged in newspaper work in Missouri Valley. He is now the proprietor and editor of the Missouri Valley Daily and Weekly Times, the oldest paper in the county and one of the oldest in the state of Iowa.
Rush C. Lahman, the son of John P. and Clara C. (HARRIS) Lahmen, was born in Missouri Valley, August 5, 1882. His father was born in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, November 14, 1840, in a house which was shot through with a cannon ball at the battle of Gettysburg in 1863.
John P. Lahman was a member of Company C, Thirty-fourth Regiment Illinois Cavalry, and served three years at the front. He engaged in harness making in Missouri Valley from 1866 until 1870, and then formed a partnership with Dr. G. H. McGavern in the live-stock business, this firm continuing in business for three or four years, at the end of which time Mr. Lahman purchased a farm which he operated in connection with his live stock business and paid most of his attention during the remainder of his life to farming, his death occurring July 16, 1888. He was married January 21, 1869, to Clara C. Harris, a daughter of Judge D. M. Harris, the owner of the Missouri Valley Times, and to this union two sons were born, Edwin Bruce, who was born in 1874 and died two years later, and Rush C.
Rush C. Lahman was educated in the schools of Missouri Valley and then spent two years in the classical department of Iowa State University. Later he was graduated in dentistry at the university, completing his dental course in 1906. He at once began the practice of his profession in Missouri Valley and continued it for three years, giving it up in order to devote his entire attention to newspaper work. He purchased the interest of R. H. Harris in the Missouri Valley Times and was a partner with Guy W. Mahoney for two years, at the end of which time he bought out Mr. Mahoney's interest and since then has been the sole proprietor of the newspaper. The Times was established in 1868 by Mr. Lahman's grandfather, D. M. Harris. J. W. Harris, the foreman of the mechanical department of the plant, has been foreman of the paper since 1868, having made up the first form for the paper in that year. Mr. Harris has been with the paper continuously down to the present time. The Times is the only daily newspaper in the county and is independent in its politics, paying more attention to the happenings of the city and surrounding country than to politics. The Weekly Times was established July 3, 1868, and the daily on April 1, 1891.
Mr. Lahman was married June 10, 1908, to Ella B. WITHROW, of Missouri Valley, the daughter of W. H. Winthrow. Mrs. Lahman's father was a former auditor of the county and has also served as mayor of the city. He is prominent in Democratic circles. Mr. Lahman and his wife have one daughter, Lucille, who was born October, 15, 1910. Mr. Lahman is a member of the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is an independent voter and in his editorial columns espouses the cause of men whom he believes are best qualified for office. In addition to his newspaper interests he owns a farm in this county, to which he gives his personal attention. He is a member of the Commercial Club at Missouri Valley and by his personal influence, as well as through the medium of his paper, he gives his hearty support to all public-spirited measures.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 757, 758, 759 Family Researcher: NA
A. Theodore LARSON -
The man to whom the reader's attention is now directed was not favored by inherited wealth or the assistance of influential friends, but he came a stranger to our shores and in spite of his handicaps, by perserverance, industry and wise economy, he has attained a comfortable station in life and is well and favorably known throughout Harrison county as a result of the industrious life he has led here for four years, being regarded by all who know him as a man of sound business principles, thoroughly up-to-date in all phases of agriculture and a man, who while advancing his individual interests, does not neglect his general duties as a citizen.
A. Theodore Larson is a native of Sweden, having been born on December 4, 1869, in Seffle, parish of Botilsater. He is a son of L. D. and Caroline Larson, both of whom have passed their entire lives in the same place. They were born to neighboring families, grew to years of maturity, married and settled down on her father's old farm and there they still reside, he at the age of seventy-one and she, sixty-eight. While giving his main attention to farming, the elder Larson has also worked at the blacksmith and carpenter trades and is, in fact, very handy with any sort of tools and considered an especially good workman in several different lines. A. Theodore Larson is the eldest of a family of five children. The second child, Martin Julius, died in his native land in 1912, at the age of thirty-five years, as the result of an operation. The three daughters of the family died in childhood, Elfreda at the age of nine, Elizabeth at the tender age of six months and one little daughter in earliest infancy. Mr. Larson is, therefore, the only surviving member of the family and the elderly father and mother are alone in their native land.
When a youth, Mr. Larson attended the schools of his native land and at the age of seventeen years he started out in life for himself and soon decided that he would try his fortune in the land of America. He set sail from Gottenberg, Sweden, on November 30, 1887, and was landed at Halifax. He came to Dow City, this state, where two of his uncles resided, reaching there on December 24, of the same year, and remaining with them for a short time. As soon as he got his bearings in his chosen land, he set about to secure employment and his services were engaged by different farmers by the month for a period of two years. By that time he had saved sufficient money to set himself up with farming implements, etc., and he secured an eighty-acre tract of land in Willow creek township, Crawford county, and there laid the foundation for his later success. This was prairie land and he improved the place, bringing his bride there in the spring of 1890. She was Nora ANDERSON, also a native of Sweden, coming from Olserud, and a daughter of Andrew and Mary E. Johnson, the former of whom was a farmer in his native land until the time of his death. The mother is still living in her old home and two daughters are in this country, while three brothers and one sister still live in Sweden and three brothers are deceased. There were three girls came here, one being Mrs. Larson, another Hannah, who married Adolph Honz, of Dow City, this state, and the third was Carrie, who died in Wisconsin.
After marriage, A. Theodore Larson and wife located southwest of Charter Oak, this state, where they farmed until the spring of 1895, when they sold out and purchased one hundred and twenty acres east of Sioux City. There they continued to farm for seventeen years, meeting with excellent success and in the spring of 1911 they purchased the tract of land in St. Johns township, Harrison county, known as the W. T. Roden farm. This farm contains three hundred and seventy-one acres and is considered one of the best farms in this section. Mr. Larson gives his chief attention to general farming as conducted by the best agriculturists throughout this section and also gives considerable attention to the raising of grade cattle, buying and feeding for the market. Previous to coming to Harrison county he was known as a breeder of full blood Poland-China hogs, but has not gone into this line since coming here. He is considered one of the successful farmers of this section and is well entitled to the honor and high regard which is granted him by those who know him best. Recently he has made extensive improvements to his place, which is known by the name �Glenhurst.� He has a fine, modern home and has built a new barn and other farm buildings to match and a silo, the whole giving indisputable evidence of careful and expert management.
Physically, Mr. Larson is a man of large and strong physique who has not spared his muscles in his endeavor to win success. In his dealings with his fellowmen he is known as a man of unimpeachable integrity, thoroughly reliable in every respect. He keeps well posted on current events and is a constant student of such things as pertain to his chosen vocation. Mr. Larson votes the Republican ticket and has always taken a lively interest in political matters. His religious membership is held in the Swedish Mission church of Sioux City, Iowa, and he is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. and Mrs. Larson are the parents of three children, Ellen Carrie, wife of Carl J. Anderson; Mabel Elvera and Albert Julius, the two latter of whom as still at home.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 576, 577, 578 Family Researcher: NA
Frank F. LATTA -
Magnolia township boasts of no more enterprising citizen than Frank F. Latta, who started out on his own resources and now is one of the most substantial farmers of his township. He taught school in his younger days, but since 1900 has been engaged in farming and stock raising. He has been active in the civic life of Magnolia township, and has held several official positions with credit to himself and satisfaction to his fellow citizens. Few farmers in the county have had more marked success in stock raising than Mr. Latta, while as a general farmer he has few equals in the county. Frank F. Latta, the son of James M. and Anna Jane (KENDALL) Latta, was born January 24, 1875, in Calhoun township, Harrison county, Iowa. Six children were born to his parents, William W., James H., John C., Walter L., Frank F., and Anna P., the wife of E. B. Hughes, a farmer of this county. All of the sons are farmers of Harrison county.
James M. Latta was born about 1834 in Pennsylvania. Before the opening of the Civil War he came west, located in Iowa, and enlisted for service in the Union army in an Iowa regiment at Council Bluffs. He was a member of Company B, Twenty-ninth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and after the close of the was he came to Harrison county and operated a saw-mill in Clay township until about 1874. He then bought a farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1879, in which year he went to Colorado and engaged in the saw mill business. He remained in that state a few years and then returned to Harrison county and retired from active work about 1904. He now makes his home in the county with his children. His wife was born in Illinois and died on March 12, 1898, on the home farm in Calhoun township.
Frank F. Latta was educated in the country schools of his county, and later graduated from the high school at Logan in 1895. He then farmed for a time, after which he began teaching school in Calhoun township at District No. 4. He remained in the teaching profession until about 1900. In that year he bought forty acres of land in Calhoun township, and remained at home, where he farmed his forty acres in addition to his father's farm. In 1902 he and his father bought two hundred and two and one-half acres of land in Magnolia township, where Mr. Latta has since been living. He has made extensive improvements and was the first man in Magnolia township to build a cement sidewalk upon his farm. He built a large barn the first year he went on the farm, which was totally destroyed by fire two years later. He was not discourage, but at once made preparations to build a larger and more commodious structure, which he eventually erected at a cost of twenty-five hundred dollars. This, together with the Calhoun farm, has about sixty acres of natural timber. Most of the lumber in the barn came from his own farm. This barn is fifty-two by sixty feet in size and has a cement basement. He built a modern sanitary chicken house of cement, which is a model of convenience, and has excited no small comment. Last year he had one hundred and fifty acres of corn which averaged better than seventy bushels to the acre, a yield much better than the average through the county. He feeds most of his grain to hogs and cattle, and at one time made the largest shipment of hogs that ever went out of the county. They averaged the heaviest of any Harrison county hogs which were received in the Chicago stockyards. He now owns three hundred acres of land in Harrison county, and remembers when he started in to farm with an old mule and one decrepit horse. He even had to borrow money to buy harness for this ill-assorted team, but with grim determination to succeed he forged ahead and his present prosperity is the result.
Mr. Latta is a shareholder of the Magnolia Bank, and also of the Magnolia Creamery Company. He takes an active part in Republican politics, and is one of his party's leaders in local affairs. In 1902 he was elected clerk of his township and has held this office for four terms since that time. He was assessor for three years, and was elected for two years more last fall, and is now secretary of the Magnolia consolidated school, one of the best rural schools of the county. His fraternal affiliations are with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Latta is essentially one of those men who stand for progress, and his career as a teacher, farmer and public official is such as to stamp him as one of the real representative men of his county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 840, 841, 842 Family Researcher: NA
Charles W. LEWIS -
Occasionally a representative of a family is met who displays all the characteristics of his family in a marked degree, and this is the case with Charles W. Lewis, who traces his ancestry back to England in the early days, while more recently his ancestors are found in New England, and they exhibited those characteristic �Yankee� traits of solid honesty, shrewdness and sturdiness of body. Mr. Lewis' solid convictions, honesty, business ability and vigorous health are, to a large extent, the inheritance from his ancestors.
Charles W. Lewis was born on December 14, 1866, near Council Bluffs, Iowa, the son of Nelson and Emily Jane (MUSSED) Lewis. Nelson Lewis was a native of Monroe, Michigan, from which place he moved to Kanesville, Pottawattamie county, Iowa. Nelson Lewis was the father of twelve children, ten sons and two daughters, of whom Charles is the eldest son. Nelson Lewis was the next youngest of a family of nine children, all of whom were boys. When he was eighteen years of age he and three of his brothers came west to Kanesville, Iowa. They were teamsters and drove across the plains from Omaha, Nebraska, to Denver, Colorado, and down into Texas. After leaving this line of work, Nelson Lewis bought eighty acres of land on which his son, Charles, was born. This land was located just east of Council Bluffs, and was government school land, which later became the family homestead, and it was here that Nelson Lewis lived until his death. Nelson Lewis was a dairyman and conducted a dairy farm with one hundred and twenty-five cows. He and his sons supplied cream for the dining cars on all the railroads which went through council Bluffs from Chicago to Portland, Oregon, and San Francisco. The dairy also maintained three delivery wagons in Council Bluffs, one of which was driven by Charles Lewis. Nelson Lewis was very active in the politics of his day, serving in the ranks of the Republican party. He held several prominent township offices, and in recognition of his services, Lewis township, Pottawattamie county, was named for him and his brothers.
Having received a good education in the schools of Council Bluffs, which he attended until he was eighteen years of age, Charles W. Lewis, in 1888, went to Leadville, Colorado, where, for one year, he followed the life of a cowboy, but soon tiring of this he took a position as bookkeeper with a Leadville firm, and later returned home to resume work on the farm. After his father disposed of his dairy farm interests, Charles W. Lewis and his family moved to Neola, Iowa, where he rented land for six years. He moved to Harrison county in 1900 where he rented for three years, and, in 1904, he bought eighty acres of land which lies east of Missouri Valley, in La Grange township. He owned this property for three years, and then sold out and moved to Douglas township, where he again rented and still rents one hundred and sixty acres of land.
Mr. Lewis was married to Minnie PAGE on January 12, 1892, at Council Bluffs, Iowa. She was born on January 23, 1865, in New York city, the daughter of James H. and Mary Esther (TAYLOR) Page, natives of New York and Bridgeport, Connecticut, respectively. James Page was a merchant in New York city, where he maintained a grocery store on Division street.
James Page, with his family, went west to Council Bluffs, in 1872, in which city he secured a position as a bookkeeper. A few years later he went back to New York for a visit and he, with his brother-in-law, Charles Taylor, drove back to Iowa in a wagon, the journey consuming three months, as they traveled in the winter.
Mr. Lewis and his wife are the parents of five children, of whom three are boys and two are girls, James Nelson, born on August 31, 1897; Esther Jane, born on June 25, 1900; Margaret Fannie, born on September 14, 1902; Charles William, Jr., born on August 4, 1904, and Francis Varian, born on October 9, 1906. All of these children are still living at home.
The families of both Mr. Page and his wife, were of English stock. It is related of Mr. Lewis' uncle, Silas, that he was shot by the Indians while freighting in Texas. The father of Mrs. Lewis, James Page, was a sailor in the Civil War, serving in a mine-gathering crew. Mrs. Lewis' mother was a member of the Vevian family, who were of Dutch descent. It is related of the great-grandfather of Mrs. Lewis that he was the owner of a large farm in what is now part of New York city. The Jerome Park race course is located on a part of the old homestead which was the site of a large stone mansion, that is still standing on the ground. The great-grandfather was an extensive slave-holder, but he freed those in his possession at the time of the first agitation of that question.
Mr. Lewis is a member of the Improved Order of Red Men. His wife is a member of the Episcopal church, and while he has never taken an active interest in politics, his inclinations are toward the Republican party. Out of his varied experiences in life, Mr. Lewis has gained the true knowledge of happiness and contentment. He has worked hard at all times, and the notable success which he has achieved is at best but the fair reward for his efforts.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 947, 948, 949 Family Researcher: NA
Peter W. LEWIS -
Denmark has contributed many of her most enterprising citizens to the population of this country, and many of these people have made eminent successes as farmers. One of the most successful of these farmers in Harrison county is Peter W. Lewis, who is a native of the little kingdom of Denmark.
Peter W. Lewis was born on May 24, 1865, the only child of his parents, although he has two half-brothers and a half-sister. When nine years of age Mr. Lewis was brought to America by his parents, who located in Boone county, Iowa. He lived at home until he was fourteen years old, when he left the parental roof and came to Harrison county, where he has since lived, with the exception of four years, which he spent on a farm in Kansas, where he took up a timber claim in 1888. He still owns this land. Mr. Lewis worked out by the month when he first came to this county. He has rented land to some extent, but has owned his own farm since his marriage. He bought eighty acres of land in section 24, Boyer township, in this county, in 1890, to which he has added from time to time until he is now the owner of two hundred and twenty-five acres of fine farming land, some in section 23 and some in section13.
Mr. Lewis was married on March 18, 1891, to Laura D. JEFFERSON, who was born in Harrison county, the daughter of Richard and Caroline (JACOBS) Jefferson, natives of England and of this country, respectively. To Mr. and Mrs. Lewis eight children have been born: Lillie V., born on September 26, 1892, was a teacher in the schools of Harrison county, and is now a student in the Boyles College; Laura A., born on May 22, 1894, is a teacher; Clyde J., born on January 8, 1896, lives at home; Mary Winnifred, born on June 8, 1897; Vernon Glenn, born on October 10, 1898; Richard Roy was born on November 1, 1900; Peter Franklin, born on August 8, 1905, and Dorothy Caroline was born on October 27, 1906. All of these children are living at home.
Mr. Lewis' farm is well improved, having on it a twelve-room house with all modern conveniences, including a basement. He has gas lights, hot and cold water throughout his home, and all his farm buildings are of good quality, with large and commodious barns and a large garage. Mr. Lewis feeds about sixty head of cattle each year and about one hundred head of hogs annually for the market. His stock is of high grade and it is to this fact that he attributes his success in the stock business. He averages over fifty-two bushels of corn to the acre year in and year out, and has raised eighty bushels to the acre on some of his land, which, before the Boyer Ditch was put through, would hardly yield ten bushels to the acre. Mr. Lewis' farm adjoins the southeast corner of Woodbine.
Mr. Lewis is an ardent Republican, but a strong advocate of prohibition. He has been a member of the school board of his township for several terms and was president of the board for several years. He has also occupied the position of road supervisor and held other minor offices, all of which he discharged faithfully and well, to the entire satisfaction of the people he served. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He and his family are loyal members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and take an active part in the affairs of that denomination.
Mr. Lewis is a man of courageous convictions, aggressive in all matters of public policy, and popular among all the people of his community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 921, 922, 923 Family Researcher: NA
James H. LATTA -
Those accustomed to superficial thinking are wont to believe that the history of so-called great men only is worthy of preservation and that little merit exists among the masses to call forth the praises of the historian or the cheers and appreciation of mankind. A greater mistake was never made. No man is great in all things. Many by a lucky stroke, achieve lasting fame who before that had no reputation beyond the limits of their immediate neighborhood. It is not a history of the lucky stroke which benefits humanity most but the long, steady and persistent efforts which made the lucky stroke possible. It is the preliminary work and methods that serve as a guide for the success of others. Among the farmers of Harrison county, Iowa, who have achieved success by steady, persistent efforts, is James H. Latta, a farmer and stockman of Jefferson township.
James H. Latta was born January 16, 1869, in Clay township, Harrison county, the son of James and Anna (KENDALL) Latta, the former born in 1834 in Pennsylvania. James Latta came to Iowa before the Civil War and, at the breaking out of this war, enlisted at Council Bluffs, in Company B, Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry. He was wounded in the battle of Saline river and after the war was discharged. He then returned to Iowa and started a sawmill in Clay township. He conducted this mill until about 1874 when he engaged in farming. He continued farming until 1879 when he went to Colorado and operated a saw-mill for a few years. He again returned to Harrison county and took up farming. He retired in 1904 and now lives with his children. Anna (Kendall) Latta was born in 1838 in Warren county, Illinois, and died about 1897 in Harrison county. To Mr. and Mrs. James Latta six children were born, William, a farmer of Jefferson township; James H., the subject of this sketch; John C., a farmer of Jefferson township; Walter L., a merchant at Logan, Iowa; Frank, who is referred to elsewhere in this volume; Anna P. Hughs, of Jefferson township.
James H. Latta attended the district schools of Calhoun township, Harrison county, and the public schools of Logan, Iowa, and was reared on the farm. He taught school in Calhoun township for six terms and then started farming. Mr. Latta rented the first year and then bought one hundred and forty acres of land. He now owns seven hundred and fifteen acres upon which he has placed improvements costing at least six thousand dollars. He has built barns and sheds and is an extensive feeder of cattle. He takes part every year in the short course given at Logan, Iowa.
James H. Latta was married in 1898 to Dora FRAZIER, who was born December 7, 1871, in Harrison county, Iowa. She is a daughter of Samuel and Angline (MURPHY) Frazier and was educated in the Logan high school. Three children, Dean, Allene and Lucille, have been born to this union.
Mr. Latta is an ardent Republican. He is influential in his township and in the county where he lives and is properly regarded as one of the most eminent and valuable citizens, admired and respected by everybody.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 609, 610 Family Researcher: NA
Sherman LOCKLING -
For nearly a half century Sherman Lockling has been a resident of Taylor township, Harrison county, Iowa. He was born in the township which has been his life-long residence. He started in as a renter and now owns two hundred acres of well-improved land, all of which has been acquired through his own initiative and good management. He has been active in every phase of his community's welfare and is justly regarded as one of the representative citizens of his township and county.
Sherman Lockling, the son of David D. and Marissa S. (LEWIS) Lockling, was born August 26, 1866, in Taylor township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents were natives of Massachusetts and Vermont, respectively, and came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1857. They first located in Magnolia township, but later moved to Taylor township, where they lived for many years, eventually moving to Missouri.
Sherman Lockling was the youngest of ten children born to his parents. He received all of his education in the schools of Taylor township and worked with his father on the home farm until he was married. He then rented his father's farm, his father having moved to Missouri, and lived on it for about ten years. While living on the paternal homestead he bought eighty acres where he is now residing, and in 1901 moved to his present farm. There were no improvements on the farm at that time except a house, and he has built a good barn, granaries, cattle sheds, and made extensive improvements of all kinds. As he has prospered from year to year he has added to his land holdings and his two hundred acres in Taylor township are a glowing tribute to his success along every line to which he has addressed himself. He annually feeds about two carloads of cattle and hogs for the market, while his wife has had excellent success in handling White Wyandotte chickens, and adds not a little to the yearly income from the sale of chickens and eggs.
Mr. Lockling was married December 23, 1891, to Clara A. HILLMAN, who was born July 30, 1871, near Logan in this county, a daughter of John W. and Mary (KIRK) Hillman. Her parents were natives of Madison county and Jefferson county, Iowa, respectively, and came to Harrison county with their respective parents when they were children. They were married in this county and still live here.
To Sherman and Clara A. (Hillman) Lockling have been born four children, three of whom are living, Edith, William Arthur and Varina Blanche. George Orville, who was born March 30, 1895, died December 24, 1897. Edith, who was born October 31, 1892, married Stanley Alton, and lives in Chicago, where her husband is stationed as a railway mail clerk. Edith has two children, Glenn L. and Gladys Loraine. William Arthur, born May 25, 1898, is now in the high school at Modale. Varina Blanche, born November 5, 1905, is still attending the common schools in her home township.
Mr. Lockling is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also of the encampment, holding his membership in the latter at Mondamin. He and his wife are both members of the Daughters of Rebekah, from which organization Mrs. Lockling has received the decoration of chivalry. There are only two or three other women in the county who have been thus honored. Mr. Lockling has long give his hearty support to the Republican party, and as evidence of the high esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens it is to be noted that he has served as trustee of Taylor township, as well as having served in various other minor official capacities. Mr. Lockling and his family are highly esteemed in the community where they reside, and are regarded as people of genuine worth by everyone with whom they are associated.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 573, 574 Family Researcher: NA
Hon. T. M. C. LOGAN -
During his long residence in this county the gentleman named above was unlike the man who slips noiselessly through life unheard of by most of the people outside of his immediate surroundings, for he was in touch with the great busy world about him and took part in much that tended to elevate and bring permanent prosperity to the communities in which he cast his lot.
T. M. C. Logan was born in Rush county, Indiana, in 1830, the son of an experienced business man who died of cholera at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1834, when the son was only four years old. He was educated in the common schools of Indiana and when he reached manhood embarked in the grain-buying trade at a point in Richland county, Illinois, continuing in business there until 1864, in which year he moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and there followed a similar business for seven years, at the end of which time he located at Logan, this county. In 1887 Mr. Logan commenced buying grain at Little Sioux and Blencoe, also buying live stock. He shipped hundreds of thousands of bushels of grain annually for many years at these and nearby points. He also owned a flour-mill at Little Sioux, with a daily capacity of sixty bushels. He also had an elevator at that point, as well as at Onawa.
Mr. Logan was identified with the Republican party and in 1881 he was nominated at Denison for state senator on the Republican ticket, Hiram Wheeler, of Sac county, later candidate for governor, running against him in the convention. Mr. Logan was successful and held the office for four years, while his opponent later tried for the governorship and was defeated by Horace Boies. In 1879 Mr. Logan was elected member of the board of Harrison county supervisors, at a date when county warrants were not worth over three-fourths of their face value, but through his efforts and those of other members of the board the county was financially redeemed. He was at one time connected with various newspapers of this county, and was identified with the Masonic and Odd Fellow orders. His private library contained many valuable works and it was said of him that one might learn more from him in an evening than from many in a lifetime.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 670, 671 Family Researcher: NA