1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Thirty Three
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
William H. BUTTLER -
Among those worthy citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, who have, by virtue of their strong individual qualities, earned their way to a high standing in the estimation of their fellow-citizens, none is more worthy of specific mention in a work of this kind than the man whose name heads this paragraph. William H. Buttler came to this county shortly after the close of the Civil War and has lived here continuously ever since, passing through much of the hard work, privations and limitations of pioneer days in this section of the country. He has, by reason of his own exertions, attained a pleasing degree of material success and is now passing his days in retirement from the more active duties of life. Additional tribute is due him on account of the fact that he proved himself one of the loyal sons of the Union during the trying days of our civil struggle and was one of that vast army whose sacrifices made possible the preservation of our nation.
William H. Buttler is a native of the state of Ohio, having first seen the light of day in Licking county, that state, on November 19, 1846, being a son of Charles and Phioleta (PRATT) Buttler, who were the parents of six children. Both father and mother were born and reared in Massachusetts and brought to their early Ohio home many of the more advanced ideas and customs of the New England states. Their lives were given to the vocation of farming and its kindred interests and in the early days the successful farmer was much more indebted to the skill and accomplishments of his helpmeet for his success than is the farmer of today. Sufficient praise and appreciation can never be granted to the quiet, hard-working mother of pioneer days, for while her own life was so often �devoid of ease,� she instilled in the hearts and minds of her sons and daughters the proper appreciation of, and desire for, the finer things of life which has resulted in much of good for succeeding generations. William H. Buttler received his education in the schools near his boyhood home, where he remained under the parental roof until the time of his enlistment in the army. This was on May 1, 1864, when he became a private in Company D, One hundred and Thirty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving until practically the close of the war. He was most fortunate throughout his term of service, never having been taken prisoner nor wounded. Among the battles in which his regiment was engaged was the famous Shenandoah, Maryland Heights and Martinsburg. After receiving his honorable discharge from the army, Mr. Buttler returned to his home in Ohio, but not to remain, however, for he came almost directly to this state, where he located on the Little Sioux river. In that location he acquired a fine farm of two hundred and seventy acres and earned the reputation of being one of the most thorough farmers of this section. There he remained, until the year 1900, when he retired from the active management of his farm and took up his residence in Little Sioux, where he and his good wife are accounted among the most prominent citizens of the town. Mrs. Buttler is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Wayne county on December 8, 1844. Her maiden name was Julia WILLIAMS, and she is one of the family of eight children of Hervey and Matilda (CONDIT) Williams. The parents were both born and raised in the state of New York and, shortly after their marriage, they went to Pennsylvania where they established their home and lived for many years.
William H. and Julia (WILLIAMS) Buttler are the parents of three children but were so unfortunate as to lose their only son, William Ray, in early infancy. They reared to maturity two daughters, both of whom are well educated and talented young women of whom the parents may be justly proud. Rena W., the eldest, was born on February 1, 1875, and is the wife of Fred A. Nisewanger, who resides in Onawa. She is the mother of four fine children, Elithe, Sibyl, Melba and Merle. Rena W. is a graduate of the Highland Park College, at Des Moines, and also attended the Nebraska State University at Lincoln. For several years she taught school and for some time was principal of the River Sioux school, and throughout her public services, as an educator of youth, she displayed the advanced methods and high ideals which won for her an enviable reputation among educators in this section. She has also attained considerable prominence as a writer of articles, many of which have appeared in such high-class magazines as �Technical World� and �Successful Farming,� as well as other scientific and agricultural periodicals. Kitty, the second daughter, early displayed a talent for music, and received the best of instruction along this line. She was born on July 24, 1878. She married Louis T. Adams and they make their home in Robstown, Texas, near which town they own and operate a fine farm. She is the mother of five children, Wilma W., Willis, Mildred, Donald and an infant child, the baby of the family. Kitty received her first instruction in music from teachers near her home, and when quite well advanced in her art, attended the Nebraska State University and finished her studies with a course at the Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois. Her natural talent has been most carefully developed and, through long years of study she made of herself an accomplished musician.
William H. Butler is a Republican and, while taking a keen interest in the affairs of his party, he was never a seeker after public office. However, his influence has always been such that it is something to be desired by men who are seeking that form of public service. Owing to his strong interest in all things along educational lines, he has for a number of terms, been a school director and his practical ideas have been the means of bringing about many improvements. He is regarded as a citizen who has at heart the best interests of the community along social, moral and material lines, and is ever ready to back up his convictions by active service, if necessary. Mr. Buttler's fraternal affiliation is with the time-honored order of Freemasonry and he is also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Both he and his wife are active members of the Eastern Star. Mr. Buttler is one of those broad-minded, liberal and forceful characters who impress their individuality upon their surroundings, and the well-regulated and honest life which he has led has gained for him the respect of a host of admiring friends. Because of his contribution to the general advancement of the community, he is eminently entitled to representation in a work of the scope intended in this volume.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 973, 974, 975 Family Researcher: NA
Clarence W. KELLOGG -
The whole career of more than half a century of Clarence W. Kellogg has been spent in Harrison county, Iowa. For more than twenty years he has been engaged in the practice of law in Missouri Valley, where he has met with that success which naturally follows the endeavors of the conscientious lawyer. He received his training in the Iowa State University and has supplemented this by intensive study, so that he stands today as one of the leading members of the Harrison county bar. In addition to his law practice he has taken an active part in the general welfare of the county. He has been largely instrumental in securing efficient drainage for Harrison and Pottawattamie counties, being a large land owner in both counties. He has filled various official positions at times, and in every position where he has been found, his duties have been administered in an efficient and trust-worthy manner.
Clarence W. Kellogg, the son of Theodore P. and Parmelia (BISSELL) Kellogg, was born in Harrison township, Harrison county, Iowa, November 22, 1862. His parents were both natives of Massachusetts, although his father's family removed to Connecticut when he was a child, and there he was reared to manhood.
After his marriage Theodore P. Kellogg came west, stopping in Ohio and later in Chicago. He ultimately located in Harrison county, Iowa, near Dunlap, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. Late in life he removed to Woodbine, where he died in 1910, at the age of eighty-three. His widow is residing in Woodbine with one of her daughters. Theodore P. Kellogg and wife were the parents of four children, George E., of Audubon, Iowa; Walter E., of Duluth, Minnesota; Clarence W., of Missouri Valley, and Mrs. Grace DeCou, of Woodbine, Iowa. Theodore P. Kellogg was prominent in church work and although reared a member of the Congregationalist church, joined the Presbyterian denomination upon removing to Woodbine. There was no Congregational church in Woodbine, hence the transfer of his membership to another church. He was a member of Company C, Twenty-ninth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, during the Civil War, and served with honorable distinction. He was a man of sterling qualities of head and heart and highly esteemed throughout the community where he lived form more than fifty years.
Clarence W. Kellogg was reared as a farmer's boy and lived on the farm until 1889, except when attending school. He received his primary education in the common schools, and later attended Tabor College in Fremont county, Iowa. He received his legal training in the State University at Iowa City, which he entered in the fall of 1892, and was graduated two years later. He at once settled in Missouri Valley for the practice of his profession, and has made this city his home now for more than twenty years. He was elected county attorney in 1894 on the Republican ticket and served in a satisfactory manner for two years. He was city attorney of Missouri Valley for a period of twelve years, during which time he gave his fellow citizens efficient service.
Mr. Kellogg was married in June, 1896, to Harriet CRISHMAN, of Missouri Valley, and to this union one son was born, his birth occurring in January, 1899, and his death in July, 1905.
Mr. Kellogg is a thirty-second degree Mason, a Knight Templar and a Shriner. He also holds membership in the Knights of Pythias. He is a member of the Grand Tribune of the lodge and has been a member of the Grand Lodge for six years. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 520, 521 Family Researcher: NA
George A. KELLOGG -
George A. Kellogg, president of the First National Bank of Missouri Valley, Harrison county, Iowa, is not only one of the best bankers in this section of Iowa, but he is descended from one of its oldest families. He is a man who has been prominent in the political and civic life of Harrison county for nearly two decades and whose father, before him, was one of the pioneer financiers and business men of this section. Inheriting his father's ability and capacity for wise and judicious banking, during the past fifteen years, Mr. Kellogg has contributed largely to the prestige of the First National Bank and greatly increased its deposits and patronage.
Born on May 19, 1872, in Missouri Valley, Iowa, George A. Kellogg is a son of Lorenzo and Joanna (AIRIS) Kellogg, the former of whom came to Missouri Valley in 1872 and at first engaged in the lumber, grain and implement business. Here he was engaged in business and here he also farmed, until 1888. Four years previously, however, he was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Missouri Valley, and, in 1890, was chosen as its president. He served continuously until 1900, when his son, George A., the subject of this sketch, succeeded him.
Of Lorenzo M. Kellogg, it may be said that he was one of the most prominent bankers of Harrison county and one of the heavy real estate owners in this section. Born on February 20, 1830, at Hadley, Hampshire county, Massachusetts, he was the son of Lorenzo M., Sr., and Fannie (JONES) Kellogg, the former of whom was born on July 17, 1809, and the latter was born on March 1, 1811. They were married in 1829. When Lorenzo M. Kellogg, Jr., was seven years old, the family moved from Hadley, Massachusetts, to Troy, Wisconsin, but when Lorenzo M. had attained the age of sixteen years, he returned to Springfield, Massachusetts, where he remained for two years. When he was twenty years old in 1850, he made a trip to California, by the Isthmus of Panama, returning in 1851 to Troy, and later moving to Stoughton, where he engaged in the manufacture of brooms. He moved to McCheils Landing, Mississippi, about 1866, where he engaged in raising cotton, but in less than a year he returned to Stoughton and engaged in the grain business. He removed to Missouri Valley, Iowa, in 1872, engaging in the lumber, grain and machinery business, and eventually establishing branches at Woodbine, Iowa, and Hooper, Nebraska.
Lorenzo M. Kellogg was twice married. The first time to Mary MCKIVEGAN on January 7, 1857. By this marriage there was born one daughter, Fannie, who married C. H. Deur, of Missouri Valley. Mrs. Kellogg died on May 14, 1868, and about two years later, on August 27, 1870, Mr. Kellogg was married a second time to Joanna AIRIS. By this second marriage, there was one son, George A., the subject of this sketch.
After having completed his education in the schools of Missouri Valley and the Missouri Valley high school, George A. Kellogg worked in the lumber yard of C. H. Deur for five years, and in 1895 became assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Missouri Valley, of which his father was at that time president. Mr. Kellogg himself was elected president on the retirement of his father in 1900, which office he has since continuously held.
On April 10, 1901, Mr. Kellogg was married to Ruth Elizabeth NOYES, daughter of Z. T. Noyes, an early resident of Mondamin. No children have been born to this marriage.
An ardent Republican throughout his life, Mr. Kellogg served as chairman of the Republican county central committee during the campaign of 1903, and at various other times as a delegate to state conventions, congressional, district and judicial conventions. A heavy stockholder in the State Savings Bank, of Missouri Valley, Mr. Kellogg is also heavily interested in Harrison county real estate and is an enthusiastic and successful farmer, although he, personally, is engage in farming in a supervisory capacity only.
George A. Kellogg was a member of the Iowa General Assembly during the thirty-second and thirty-third sessions, serving in the House on both occasions. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Yeomen of America.
George A. Kellogg is a worthy citizen of this great county and state. As a banker, he has few equals and no superiors in Harrison county. As a farmer he is conversant with the most scientific and modern methods of agriculture, and has made a success of this business, largely because he has followed progressive methods. As a member of the Iowa General Assembly he not only served on important committees of the House of Representatives, but he worthily discharged the duties involved in this office and his renomination and re-election to a second term are evidences of the approval he received from the people of Harrison county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 935, 936, 937 Family Researcher: NA
Charles E. KENNEDY -
It is pleasant to know that the fertile soil of Iowa seldom deserts those who till it diligently, and given a reasonable share of opportunity, it is certain that the ambitious young man, who decides to win happiness and fortune from Iowa's acres, will not be disappointed, but will be rewarded bountifully, and his storehouses and granaries will be full.
Such was the case with Charles E. Kennedy, the son of Joshua and Lizzie (BECHTEL) Kennedy, and who was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, on August 22, 1867. The account of Joshua Kennedy and his wife will be found elsewhere in this volume.
Reared on the home farm, Mr. Kennedy attended the district schools of Jefferson township, and the public school at Woodbine, Iowa. Remaining on his father's farm, until he reached the age of twenty-two, Mr. Kennedy began farming for himself by renting forty-nine acres. In this he progressed so well, that the very next year he bought of his father the ninety-acre place which is his present home, although the original tract has been increased to one hundred and sixty acres of well-improved land.
Visible proof of prosperity is the beautiful all-modern house, which is located on the Lincoln highway, half way between Logan and Woodbine, Iowa, surrounded by a grove of magnificent trees, an improvement that had been made by Mr. Kennedy's father and grandfather.
Mr. Kennedy married Effie L. COX August 22, 1889, who was born in Indiana March 7, 1872. Mrs. Cox's parents, George and Mary (CANADY) Cox, came to Iowa, about 1883, and located on a Harrison county farm, where they lived until the husband's death, after which Mrs. Cox made her home in Woodbine, Iowa. The following three children, Harold, John and Orville, have been born to Mr. Kennedy and wife, and still live at home.
Mr. Kennedy stands ready at all times to give material aid to worthy enterprises, and is a shareholder in the Farmers' Mercantile Company, of Logan, as well as in the modern creamery, at Woodbine. He is a member of the Methodist church, and his influence is wielded, at all times, for the furtherance of the spiritual life of the community. He is a member of the Republican party, though he has never aspired to office. It follows inevitably that the good services and commendable life of Mr. Kennedy should gain the approbation and approval of those whose opinion he values.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 908, 909 Family Researcher: NA
Charles S. KENNEDY, M. D. -
Many of the most successful physicians of the present generation, prepared for their profession and maintained themselves in college from their own personal earnings, the money which they had previously made in business. Charles S. Kennedy, M. D., a prosperous and successful physician of Logan, Iowa, before he took up the study of medicine, was a successful registered pharmacist. The practice of medicine is peculiar in that the impulses that are likely to bring commercial success are inherently unselfish. The physician loses himself in his work to a greater extent, perhaps, than any other professional man. If material wealth come naturally � very well, if not, the physician is still satisfied with a mission that is larger and better than making a personal fortune. There is no physician in Harrison county who is more thoroughly unselfish and more conscientiously devoted to the science of medicine, than Charles S. Kennedy, M. D., of Logan.
Charles S. Kennedy, M. D., was born on December 23, 1868, in Jefferson township, Harrison county, Iowa. He is the son of David W. and Nellie J. (NEWMAN) Kennedy, the former of whom was born April 11, 1838, in Athens county, Ohio, and the latter of whom was born August 10, 1841, in New York state.
David W. Kennedy was the son of Charles Kennedy, a native of Ireland, born April, 1790, and who came to America in 1821, locating at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was employed in the manufacture of hair trunks. He moved to Athens county, Ohio, in 1837, and here he remained until 1854, when he came to Crawford county, Iowa. In 1868 he came to Harrison county, where he remained the balance of his life. His wife was Elizabeth Armstrong, daughter of William and Jennie Armstrong.
David W. Kennedy was first located on eighty acres of land in Jefferson township, Harrison county, Iowa. He was married on January 1, 1868, to Nellie J. NEWMAN, and died on May 27, 1900. Nellie J. Newman was the daughter of Stephen F. and Lovina (KLOCK) Newman, both natives of New York state.
To David W. and Nellie J. (NEWMAN) Kennedy eight children were born. Dr. Charles S. was the eldest child; George M. was born on August 9, 1870; Merritt E., born December 15, 1871, died February 2, 1900; David E., May 13, 1874, and died on September 2, 1874; Lewis M., February 17, 1876, and died January 22, 1882; Minnie L., November 22, 1878; Mark B., August 31, 1881, and Nellie May, February 28, 1886. During all his life, David W. Kennedy, the father of these children, was a farmer.
Charles S. Kennedy, M. D., was educated in the common schools of Harrison county and in the high school at Logan. After leaving the Logan high school, he took a commercial course at Omaha, graduating on July 16, 1890. Following his graduation at Omaha, he took up the drug business and became a registered pharmacist on March 3, 1896. He then entered the John A. Creighton Medical College at Omaha, and was graduated with the class of 1902. Subsequently, he located at Logan and has been actively engaged in the practice of medicine since that time.
Doctor Kennedy was married on September 12, 1900, to Esther, the daughter of Ingvert and Kate (SORENSEN) Hansen, natives of Denmark, who located in Crawford county, Iowa, in an early day. Doctor and Mrs. Kennedy have no children, but they have adopted a daughter, named Louise Grace.
Charles S. Kennedy has been secretary of the Harrison County Medical Society for a number of years. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, is a Knight Templar, at Council Bluffs, and a member of the Shrine of Abu Bekr, at Sioux City. He is also a member of Ivanhoe Commandery, at Council Bluffs, and a member of the Royal Arch Masons, at Missouri Valley. Likewise, Doctor Kennedy is a member of the order of the Eastern Star. He has filled all the chairs in the local and state grand chapter, and at present, is worthy grand patron of the grand lodge of Iowa.
Doctor Kennedy considers himself a Progressive-Republican, but believes the man and the issue should be paramount to party affiliation. He is an adherent to the fortunes of Senator Cummings. He is a member of the Reorganized Latter-Day Saints church. Doctor Kennedy is the efficient editor of the medical chapter of this volume, and in this work has performed valuable service to the people of Harrison county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 960, 961, 962 Family Researcher: NA
Harry W. KERR -
It takes all kinds of people to make this world, and it is just as true that there are some people more valuable to the community than others. Harrison county, Iowa, has no more hustling citizen than Harry W. Kerr, who is known throughout the county as �The Hustler.� Primarily a newspaperman, he has established photo-play houses in Little Sioux and Pisgah, as well as electric lighting plants in both places. His paper, very appropriately called The Hustler, is a weekly newspaper of four pages with seven columns to the page. Unlike many papers in small towns it is not filled with advertisements for patent medicines, but is all home print, and all set up in his own office every week. He established his paper in Little Sioux, March 14, 1901, and has made it one of the active forces for good in this section of the county since that time.
Harry W. Kerr was born in Kendall county, Illinois, April 2, 1875, a son of Henry C. and Arabella (HOPKINS) Kerr, natives of Ohio and Kentucky, respectively. His parents removed to Hastings, Nebraska, in 1881, and there he completed his high-school education and later a course in a business college.
When he was eighteen years old Mr. Kerr came to Harrison county, Iowa, as assistant agent and operator at River Sioux, and worked in this capacity for three years. He was then employed as extra agent until 1887, when he was permanently located in the station at Blencoe, Monona county, Iowa, where he remained until the spring of 1901. In that year he returned to Little Sioux and established his paper, as has been mentioned, and has since then been engaged in the newspaper business. He started with a little printing office at Little Sioux, which amounted to practically nothing, and now has the best equipped printing plant in the county. He established a branch plant at Pisgah and still keeps it in operation. When he came to Little Sioux there was already a paper in that city, one which had been established many years ago by D. W. Butts, one of the veteran newspaper men of the county. Mr. Butts died in December, 1912, and his paper being independent, concluded its earthly career at the same time. In the fall of 1901, the same year in which he established his paper, Mr. Kerr established a department in The Hustler for the town of Pisgah and has paid particular attention to the items of interest concerning Pisgah and Little Sioux since that year. In 1908 he erected a cement-block building in Little Sioux especially for the printing business. This was the first block building in the county and in it he installed the first linotype machine between Council Bluffs and Sioux City. But the newspaper business has been only one of the enterprises of Mr. Kerr. He has been a prominent factor in furnishing a line of entertainment in both Little Sioux and Pisgah and his photo-play houses which he has established in both towns, have not only proved very satisfactory to the people, but also lucrative to himself. He owns the Kerr Opera House in Little Sioux, a neat little building with a ground floor thirty-six by ninety feet and a seating capacity of four hundred.
The Hustler is independent in politics and religion and clearly local in its scope, dealing with the better interests of the county in general, and the west and northwest townships in particular.
Mr. Kerr was married September 9, 1896, at Missouri Valley, Iowa, to Amy A. MORGAN, of River Sioux, a daughter of Nels P. and Belle (STUART) Morgan, natives of New York and Ontario, respectively. Nels P. Morgan and his family located in River Sioux in the spring of 1884, coming from Crawford county, Iowa. Mr. Morgan conducted a blacksmith shop in River Sioux for over twenty years, and for several years before his death was engaged in the livery business.
Mr. Kerr is not connected with any religious denomination, but gives his support equally to all represented in his community. He is a member of Frontier Lodge No. 382, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and both he and his wife are affiliated with the Little Sioux Chapter Order of the Eastern Star. It is safe to say that Mr. Kerr is one of the most valuable men in his community, always standing for its best interests and always willing to do his share towards making the community a better one in which to live.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 540, 541, 542 Family Researcher: NA
Lew W. KIBLER -
One of the well-known young business men of Woodbine, Iowa, is Lew W. Kibler, who is interested in the operation of a large fire-proof garage in Woodbine, and in the sale of several well-known makes of automobiles, among which are the Cadillac, Buick and Ford. Mr. Kibler has been vitally connected with the welfare of Harrison county as one of those enterprising and far-sighted business men to whom much of the credit for the growth of any community is due. Mr. Kibler has a wide range of acquaintance throughout Harrison county and is popular among all classes of people. His genial, good nature has been not the least of the qualities by which he has built up his present flourishing business.
Lew W. Kibler was born on July 14, 1878, at Woodbine, Iowa. He is the son of Sylvester B. and Carrie I. (ELLISON) Kibler, the former of whom was born on July 22, 1836, in Portage, Ohio, and the latter of whom was born on September 5, 1834, in Pike county, Illinois. Sylvester B. Kibler is the son of Martin and Marguerite J. (CARD) Kibler, of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. Martin Kibler moved to Ohio with his parents when a small child and came with them to Iowa in 1854. Carrie I. (Ellison) Kibler is the daughter of Isaac and Cinderella (CLARK) Ellison, natives of Virginia, who arrived in Harrison county, Iowa, in 1851, and settled at Six Mile Grove, in Cass township. Lew W. Kibler is one of four children born to his parents, only two of whom are living, Lyda and Lew W. During his early years, he assisted his father in the enterprises with which he was connected.
Lew W. Kibler was united in marriage, in 1898, to Maud SWAIN, daughter of H. D. and Julia Swain, natives of Harrison county. To this happy union, three children have been born, Loene, Margaret and Swayne. Mr. Kibler started in business for himself at the age of twenty-two years. At first he was engaged in the general merchandise business and continued in this until thirty years of age. He next went into the real estate business for three years, and the following three years was in the hardware business, handling all kinds of hardware and automobiles. Subsequently, he became associated with G. N. Young, as a partner, and they have handled automobiles, exclusively, for several years. They erected a large fire-proof garage and do general repair work. They carry in stock the Cadillac, Buick and Ford motor cars, and do perhaps the largest automobile business of any firm in Harrison county.
Lew W. Kibler is a member of the Knights of Pythias and is a Republican in politics. He is a thorough business man and very alert to all the details of the business in which he is engaged. He is held in high esteem by the people of Harrison county and, in every respect, merits their confidence and good will.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 983, 984 Family Researcher: NA
Abner KING -
America owes its present position among the nations of the earth to the morale of her sturdy citizens, in whom flows the blood of dauntless pioneers, those men who blazed the way that civilization might follow. One of these sturdy pioneers is Abner King, who is the oldest settler in the southwest part of Cincinnati township and who has seen the country develop from wild land, covered with heavy timber and choked with swamps, to the richest farming district of the county.
Born January 6, 1840, in Clayborn county, Tennessee, Mr. King is the son of Thomas and Marguerite (HATFIELD) King, who were native to Tennessee or probably Virginia, as they lived near the state line. The two were the parents of ten children, of whom Abner was the eighth in order of birth. His father, Thomas King, the grandson of a native of Germany, received a very limited education, and followed farming all his life.
When Abner King went to school, he was a student in the old-fashioned subscription schools, and was compelled to go from three to six miles to reach the school house, although he was glad of the opportunity which enabled him to obtain a limited education. In May of 1850, he came to Iowa, locating in Drakesville, Davis county, which was populated by a few settlers, the Indians averaging ten to one of every white man. In July, 1867, Mr. King came to Harrison county, locating on a farm in section 17 of Cincinnati township, where he has made his home since.
Mr. King now rents his farm to his grandson. He owns two hundred and forty acres of land in sections 7, 8 and 17 of Cincinnati township, which land was all in timber when he bought it. He cleared the greater part of it and has all but eighty acres under cultivation.
In April, 1863, Abner King married America JONES, who was born in Indiana, the daughter of William and Cinderella (BESS) Jones, who were native to Indiana. Mrs. King died March 29, 1878, leaving seven children, six of whom are still living. Of these children, Sarah married James Chapman; he is now dead and the widow makes her home with her father Abner. Martha married William Wells and has seven children, Bertha, Minnie, Clarence, Estella, Alta, Lloyd and Floyd, the last two of whom are twins; Clarence, who is married and lives on his grandfather's farm, has one child, Thomas. Wesley married Addelna Whippole and the two have seven children, Laura, Nancy, George, Carrie, Pearl, Ida and Thomas. Laura married Fred Werks and has one child, Edward. Nancy married James King and has one child, Donald. Ella became the wife of Joseph Bohall and they have nine children, Wesley, William, Clyde, Myrtle, John, Abbie, Susan, Ivy and George; of these children Wesley is married and has one child, Harold; Myrtle is married and has one child, also named Harold. William, who is unmarried, lives in Cincinnati township. Henry lives in Limon county, South Dakota, near Murdo.
Mr. King votes the Democratic ticket, but he is not a politician and has held only minor offices. Having lived a long and honorable life, Abner King is indeed worthy of high esteem and all respect, and his is the happiness of the man who labors under discouraging conditions and lives to enjoy the fruits of his labors and to enjoy the love of an appreciative posterity.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 858, 859 Family Researcher: NA
Andrew KINNIS -
Andrew Kinnis, who departed this life in February, 1864, at the age of seventy-eight years, was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and was a son of Andrew of the same shire, who passed his entire life on his native land and gave his attention, throughout his days, to gardening. The subject of this memoir was married on April 18, 1826, to Mary MCCLAREN, of the north highlands of Scotland. He was a weaver of fine cloth in Perthshire. In 1844 the family removed to Glasgow, where they remained for ten years, and in 1854 emigrated to America. They landed in New York City and four years later came to Harrison county, Iowa, where they settled about three miles north of Woodbine, where the father engaged in farming for some time. There were seven children in the family, namely: Andrew, born June 4, 1827, died in Lincoln, Nebraska, on January 7, 1895. The second child was John McClaren, born October 28, 1831, who died while in service at the time of the Civil War. His death occurred at Little Rock, Arkansas, on July 13, 1864. He was a member of Company C, Twenty-ninth Regiment, Iowa volunteer Infantry. Jane, the first daughter of the family, was born on October 3, 1833, and was married in May of 1855 to George Ewing, a machinist of New York City. He died in 1867 while still a resident of that city and the widow continued to live there for fifteen years longer, when she came to Harrison county, where she has since made her home. The fourth child of the family was Christopher A., born November 24, 1835, and died in Brooklyn, New York, on April 16, 1900. He was a veteran of the Civil War, having served three years as a member of Company C, Thirteenth Regiment United States Infantry. Mary Ann was born on February 18, 1838, and died in Quincy, Illinois, in 1906. Daniel M. was born on July 24, 1840, and Jessie, the youngest of the family, was born on June 16, 1843. She is the wife of J. Coe, banker, of Woodbine. Andrew Kinnis had retired from the active labors of life and was living with his children at the time of his death. His widow survived him a number of years, her death occurring on January 22, 1884, while in her eighty-fifty year. Andrew Kinnis was a devout member of the Christian church and a man worthy of the respect and honor which he inspired in the hearts of others.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 859, 860 Family Researcher: NA