1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Thirty Two
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
John M. BELL -
A veteran of the Civil War and a resident of Harrison county, Iowa, since 1886, John M. Bell is one of the highly respected citizens of Raglan township, where he has made his home for nearly thirty years. He has devoted himself to general farming and stock raising and has met with that success which always follows the persistent farmer. He enlisted for service in the Civil War when only seventeen years of age, and during the eight months he was in the service, he underwent many interesting experiences. Since locating in Harrison county, Mr. Bell has taken an active part in the general welfare of his community.
John M. Bell, the son of Thomas and Mary (MICK) Bell, was born November 16, 1846, in Tippecanoe county, Indiana. His parents were natives of Mason county, Kentucky, and Ross county, Ohio, respectively, and early settlers in Indiana. They came to the Hoosier state about the time the battle of Tippecanoe was fought in the fall of 1811. Mr. Bell's grandfather, Mick, was an axmaker, a Methodist Episcopal minister, and used to travel with John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist Episcopal church when the latter was establishing churches in this country.
John M. Bell was educated in the schools of Indiana and lived at home until he enlisted for service in the Civil War. He became a member of Company H, One Hundred and Fiftieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, enlisting on February 28, 1865, for one year, he was mustered out August 5, 1865. His first engagement was at the siege of Richmond, where he was sent without ammunition supplies. The company would pretend to make a charge, but had no intention of so doing on account of the fact that they had no ammunition for their guns. At another time Mr. Bell was stationed for guard duty at a point where two other men had been shot by sharpshooters, and again Mr. Bell's shrewdness undoubtedly saved his life. He did not choose to sacrifice it needlessly and accordingly piled up a number of stones where he was supposed to be and retired to a more sheltered spot. The enemy repeatedly fired at the pile of stones in an effort to get at him, while he stood at a convenient distance and laughed at their efforts.
After being mustered out, Mr. Bell returned to his home in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, and lived with his parents until 1878. In the meantime his mother had died. After marrying in the spring of 1878, Mr. Bell and his young wife went west and located in Guthrie county, Iowa, and continued to reside there until 1886, when he moved to Harrison county. Since locating in this county Mr. Bell has acquired a fine farm in Raglan township, where he engages in general farming and stockraising. He feeds about one hundred and twenty-five head of hogs for the market each year and keeps some dairy cattle for his own use. He is a mechanic of no ordinary ability. He does all of his carpentering and blacksmithing, having a completely equipped shop on his farm.
Mr. Bell was married January 14, 1878, to Sarah MORGAN, at Winterset, Madison county, Iowa. She was born in Jefferson county, Indiana, April 28, 1858, and is the daughter of Harvey R. and Mary (BARROW) Morgan, natives of Indiana and Pennsylvania, respectively. Her parents came to Iowa and located in Cedar county about 1864. Later they moved to Madison county, Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. Bell are the parents of four children three sons and one daughter, Edna, Fred, Luther and John. The latter is still living at home. Edna is the wife of John Girton, a farmer of Raglan township. Fred, a farmer of Raglan township, married Bessie Whitney and has three children, Verva and Verdie, twins, and Bessie. Luther, a farmer living near Pisgah in Jackson township, married Millie Hagerman.
Mr. Bell and his three sons are all members of the Republican party. Mr. Bell has never been active in political matters, although his party elected him as trustee of his township several years ago. He and his family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal church, to whose support they have always contributed of their means.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 878, 879, 880 Family Researcher: NA
Albert W. BLACKBURN -
The present clerk of the district court of Harrison county, Iowa, is Albert W. Blackburn, who was born, reared and has spent his entire life in this county. His parents were pioneer settlers in Harrison county and came here more than half a century ago. Mr. Blackburn received an excellent education and was working in a bank in Logan when he was first appointed deputy clerk of the court. Subsequently, he was elected clerk and is now filling this responsible position in a very efficient manner.
Albert W. Blackburn, the son of Hiram and Mary A. (HOLDZKOM) Blackburn, was born on September 18, 1877, in Cincinnati township, Harrison county, Iowa. There were two children in the family, a daughter, Zella, being deceased.
Hiram Blackburn was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, on September 6, 1834, and left his native state in 1861, and came west to Harrison county, Iowa, where he farmed until 1864. In that year, he enlisted for service in the Union army as a member of Company I, Sixteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being discharged at Camp Dennison, Ohio. After the close of the war, Hiram Blackburn returned to Harrison county and bought a farm in Cincinnati township. He made extensive improvements upon the land and farmed until 1894. In that year he retired from active work and moved to Logan, where he lived until his death, June 30, 1914. He was married on June 22, 1864, in Harrison county, Iowa. His wife was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1846, a daughter of Andrew and Mary Ann Holdzkom, natives of New Jersey. Mrs. Blackburn is now living with her son, Albert W., in Logan.
Albert W. Blackburn received his elementary education in the schools of his home township and graduated from the Logan high school, in 1896. He then became a student in Simpson's College at Indianola, Iowa, where he took a commercial course and graduated in 1899. After leaving college, he returned to Logan and started clerking in a general mercantile establishment. For the first few weeks, he only counted eggs, but at the same time he was learning the finer points of salesmanship. In the same year he entered the State Savings Bank, of Logan, as bookkeeper and assistant cashier. He was appointed deputy clerk of the Harrison county courts in 1902 and resigned his position from the bank in order to take up his new work. He continued as deputy clerk, until 1907, when he was elected clerk, and has served in this capacity, continuously, down to the present time. Being an expert bookkeeper and accountant, he makes a very efficient public servant and the people of the county are well satisfied with his services.
Albert W. Blackburn was married, in 1902, to Tusse HENN, who was born at Iowa Falls, Iowa, December 10, 1879, and to this union one child has been born, Dwane A. Mr. Blackburn is a Republican and takes an intelligent interest in the welfare of his party. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, while fraternally, he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Woodmen of the World and the Loyal Highlanders. He and his wife both hold their membership in the Order of Eastern Star. Mr. Blackburn is a genial man of kindly disposition and makes an excellent public official because of his splendid personality. Few men throughout the county are better known and he is making one of the most popular officials the county has ever had.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 982, 983 Family Researcher: NA
Jacob BOCK -
The farmers of German descent who have located in Harrison county, Iowa, have been successful to a most gratifying degree. Jacob Bock, who now has a fine farm in Taylor township, is one of the best representatives of the German-American farmers of the county. Coming to the United States after he reached his majority, he located in Harrison county during the seventies, and has since made this county his home. He could not speak a word of English when he came to America, but having received a good education in his native land he soon was able to speak and write good English. Now he reads nothing but English newspapers and books and always makes it a point to keep well informed on the current issues of the day.
Jacob Bock, the son of Hans and Froucka (HARK) Bock, was born February 23, 1851, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. His father owned a small farm in Germany, but was a shipbuilder by trade, hiring some one to attend his farm until his sons were large enough to take charge of it. Eleven children were born to Hans Bock and wife, Jacob and a twin sister being the ninth and tenth in order of birth.
Jacob Bock received a good education in the excellent schools of his native land. After reaching his majority he determined to come to America to seek his fortune. He left home March 10, 1872, went to Hamburg, Germany, and took ship for the United States, landing at New York City, Marcy 27, 1872. He had learned cabinet making and fancy carpentering in his native country, but never followed that as a trade after coming to the United States. He went directly from New York City to Minnesota, where he stayed a couple of months and then went down the Mississippi river to Clinton, Iowa. He at once took a train for Missouri Valley, and upon coming to that city immediately found work on the bridge gang of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad. He must have experienced some difficulty at first, since he was not able to understand any English at all, but in a short time he mastered the language and this handicap was speedily removed. He worked on the railroad for three years, saved his money and then bought one hundred and twenty acres in section 1, Cincinnati township, Harrison county. He lived on this farm for twenty-two years and then sold it and moved to a farm in St. Johns township, which he had previously purchased. On this farm he lived until the spring of 1902, when he bought two hundred acres in sections 7 and 8 in Taylor township, where he now makes his home. He also owns one hundred and sixty-six acres of good land in Morgan township, just north of Mondamin. Both farms are well improved and bring him in a very comfortable income. Mr. Bock is a large raiser of corn and oats and feeds much of his grain to stock which he fattens for the market.
Jacob Bock was married March 3, 1877, to Sophia M. HANSEN, who was born in Holstein, Germany, a daughter of Ties and Marguerite Hansen. Her parents came to the United States in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Bock are the parents of twelve children, nine of whom are living, Fouca Louisa, John, Charles, Ida, Edward, Fred, Harry, Clarence and Clara, the last two named being twins, and born on New Year's Eve, 1902. Two of the children are married, Fouca L. and John. Fouca L. is the wife of Victor Pierce, and has two children, Edna May and Lloyd Victor. John married Clara Grangeenett, and has two children, Harold William and Wilma. The other children are still unmarried and living with their parents.
Mr. Bock is independent in his political belief and has never taken an active part in political affairs. He has never aspired to public office, preferring to devote all of his time to his extensive farming interests and his immediate family. He and his wife are justly proud of their interesting children and are giving them the best of educational advantages. Mr. Bock believes in giving his children all the pleasure and comforts possible, and is never happier than when he is driving around the country in his large six-cylinder automobile in company with his family. Such, in brief, is the history of a poor German youth who came to this country with small means and yet by a life of hard work and good management has accumulated a comfortable competence for himself and family. He and his wife have reared a large family of children and are preparing them to take their places in the field of action in such a manner as will reflect credit upon their parents. It is safe to say that Mr. Bock is one of the most highly esteemed men of his community and it is a pleasure to record this brief resume of his interesting life in the annals of his county's history.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 536, 537, 538 Family Researcher: NA
Ander A. BOOTH -
A self-made farmer and an enterprising citizen of Jackson township, Harrison county, Iowa, is Ander A. Booth, who was born in this county a half century ago. His parents were among the earliest settlers in this county and Mr. Booth remembers the early struggles through which the pioneers of the county passed. He started in to work for himself before reaching his majority and worked on different farms throughout the county until his marriage. He now owns a well-improved farm in Jackson township, where he and his good wife are rearing an interesting family of children.
Ander A. booth, the son of William and Eliza (ELLIS) Booth, was born November 20, 1865, in Little Sioux, Iowa. His parents were born in Ohio, and came to Harrison county in 1855. Their nearest trading point was a small place called Fountainbleau, which was located about two miles north of where the village of Little Sioux now stands. His father farmed there until his death, leaving his widow with five children. The mother kept the children together and moved to Little Sioux, where she married, secondly, about 1875, James Cooper.
Ander A. Booth was only eight months old when his father died and he made his home with his mother and stepfather until he was married. However, he was away from home most of the time working on farms in different parts of the county. He also helped to build many of the bridges in the county. After his marriage in 1895 he rented for the first year and then bought two hundred and eighty-nine acres of land where he is now living in Jackson township. The farm was in a very poor condition when he bought it, but under his skillful management he has made it one of the best in the township. He has placed extensive improvements upon it and has increased its value several fold. He engages in general farming and stock raising and makes a specialty of full-blooded Poland China hogs.
Mr. Booth was married October 23, 1895, to Fanny BRYCESON, who was born September 29, 1866, in Belvidere, Monona county, Iowa. Her parents, Thomas J. and Mary (SHINER) Bryceson, came to Monona county about 1864, and there reared a family of nine children. Mr. and Mrs. Booth are the parents of three children, Martha Eloise, born April 17, 1889; Earl Milton, born October 23, 1901, and Loreno Mary, born March 13, 1904.
Mr. Booth is a Republican and takes an intelligent interest in the welfare of his party. He has been school director in his township and filled this office to the satisfaction of his fellow citizens. Mrs. Booth is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Booth is one of the most enterprising farmers of his neighborhood, as is evidenced by his very attractive farm buildings and the general condition of his farm.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 534, 535 Family Researcher: NA
John H. L. BOUSTEAD -
It is pleasing to see well-kept farms, where fences and buildings are kept in repair, and implements and stock well housed. Likewise, it is encouraging to find farmers whose progressive tread has caused them to add the modern conveniences to country homes. John H. L. Boustead, of Boyer township, has one of the most up-to-date, attractive farms in Harrison county.
John H. L. Boustead was born on February 16, 1847, in Northumberland county, England, the son of John and Isabella (BLAIN) Boustead, also natives of the same place. John Boustead, Sr., was a son of Thomas B. and Catherine (Taylor) Boustead.
John H. L. Boustead received his education in the schools of Newcastle upon Tyne, in his native land. The family came to the United States in 1868, arriving in New York on October 14, of that year. They came direct to Harrison county, Iowa, locating in Twelve Mile Grove, in Douglas township. Mr. Boustead worked out by the month for five years, and then rented land for four years. He bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 1, of Jefferson township, in 1874, where his son, Robert H., now lives. He made that his home until in July, 1903, when he moved to his present farm of one hundred and twenty acres in section 36, of Boyer township. He has made many improvements on this farm, building a large, nine-room house. He has installed a furnace in the house, and has a most comfortable home in every respect, while his barns, cribs, granaries, etc., are equally good.
Mr. Boustead was married on February 24, 1873, to Fannie HALL, who was born on April 22, 1852, in County Durham, England, the daughter of Robert and Frances (HARDMAN) Hall. Her parents came to the United States, in 1870, locating in Douglas township, Harrison county, Iowa, where they lived the remainder of their lives, the father dying on November 3, 1884, and the mother on September 27, 1883. Mr. Boustead's parents are both dead, his mother having passed away on June 16, 1869.
Mrs. Boustead died on October 15, 1912, leaving her husband and two children, one child, William L. having preceded her in death. The two living children are Robert H. and John W. Robert H. was born on June 25, 1881, and married Ivy Teague. They are now living on his father's farm. Robert Boustead and wife are the parents of four children, two of whom are living, Bernice and Glenn. John W., born on August 15, 1883, has never married, and makes his home with his father.
Mr. Boustead is engaged in general farming and stock raising. He paid a visit to his old home in England in 1911. He is one of Harrison county's most progressive men and is held in high esteem by all who know him. He is a member of the Republican party, but has never held public office, preferring to devote his time and attention to his agricultural interests. He is a member of Woodbine Lodge No. 405, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, having been a member of this organization for more than thirty years.
Since Mrs. Boustead's death, Mrs. Danks, John H. L. Boustead's sister, has been keeping house for him and his son.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 902, 903 Family Researcher: NA
Frank BROTHERS -
One of the enterprising farmers of Cincinnati township, Harrison county, Iowa, who has helped to raise the agricultural standard of this county, is Frank Brothers. Mr. Brothers has been a successful farmer and is now the owner of one hundred and seventy acres of excellent land in Harrison county. Born in Iowa, Mr. Brothers was brought here from Wayne county by his parents when he was four years of age and he has resided here since that time.
Frank Brothers was born on November 10, 1860, in Wayne county, Iowa, the son of John T. and Mary A. (JONES) Brothers, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Indiana. The Brothers family is of English descent, Thomas Brothers, the paternal grandfather of Frank, having been born in that country, probably in Yorkshire. The maternal grandfather of Frank Brothers was Nathan Jones, a native of Kentucky. John T. and Mary A. Brothers were the parents of two sons, W. H. and Frank, the subject of this sketch. They came to Harrison county, Iowa, when Frank was four years of age and located on a farm in section 36 of Cincinnati township, where they lived the remainder of their days.
Frank Brothers received his education in the public schools of Harrison county and remained on the home farm, assisting his father, until he was married. When he was twenty-two years of age he had bought a farm in St. John township, and it was to this farm that he moved immediately after his marriage. He lived there for two years and then sold it and bought his present place in section 25, of Cincinnati township, where he has resided since that time. Mr. Brothers does general farming, but is especially interested in stock raising. He makes a specialty of Duroc-Jersey hogs and keeps some excellent horses of the Norman breed. Mr. Brothers owns one hundred and seventy acres of land, one hundred and sixty acres of which is in Cincinnati township and ten in St. John townships. His farm is well improved and its appearance bespeaks the thrift and industry of its owner.
Frank Brothers was married on April 16, 1891, to Ella MORGAN, who was born on March 5, 1866, in Wayne county, Indiana. She is the daughter of Edmond and Jane (BROTHERS) Morgan, natives of England and Scotland, respectively. To Mr. and Mrs. Brothers have been born three children, Willoughby, born on September 6, 1892, who attended the Missouri Valley high school; Mildred, born on November 9, 1896, who is a graduate of the Missouri Valley high school; and Beryl, born on September 18, 1899. All of these children are still living at home.
Frank Brothers is identified with the Republican party, although he has never been an aspirant for office. However, he has served as township treasurer and held other minor offices. He and his family are supporters of the Presbyterian church, although they are not members of any denomination. Mr. Brothers is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He and his wife are members of the Daughters of Rebekah and the Order of the Eastern Star. The Brothers family are well known throughout this township and county and are well liked by all who know them.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 953, 954 Family Researcher: NA
John L. BROWN -
It is the farmer who makes it possible for men of other occupations to live. Farming was the original occupation of man and it is the only profession that can exist independently of all others. Indeed, Every occupation is dependent upon the farmer. The products of the farm have made our railroads what they are today and the great bulk of manufacturing is made necessary because of the farmers' needs. The people of the city could not live a week without the farmer's products. He holds not only the purse strings of the nation but even the very life of the people. For this reason the farmer has, in reality, the most important vocation of all. Harrison county has as fine farms and as good farmers as can be found anywhere in any state and among them is John Brown, of Calhoun township.
John L. Brown was born August 4, 1863, in Calhoun township, Harrison county, Iowa. He is the son of Fred and Joanna (QUINN) Brown, who were the parents of seven children, three of whom are deceased. Fred Brown was born in 1838 in Pennsylvania and when a young man came to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he learned the baker's trade. About 1856 he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and carried the mail by coach from the town of Magnolia to Shelby, Iowa. In a few years he purchased land in Harrison county for ten and fifteen dollars an acre. He was a hard worker and improved his land. Fred Brown owned land in Calhoun and Magnolia townships, owning about twenty acres of natural timber. In the early days he was considered a heavy cattle feeder and was compelled to make long trips to market which was located at Sioux City and Council Bluffs, Iowa. The neighbors in Mr. Brown's locality were not the best clothed and they were compelled to exchange clothing and get along the best they could in winter time. Fred Brown was among the first settlers of Calhoun township to own an overcoat, which he prized very highly. He died in 1873 and his wife, who was born in 1844, in Ireland, is now living in Missouri Valley.
John L. Brown was only ten years old when his father died and he was called upon to look after the farming interests which he did while attending the district schools of Calhoun township. He left the farm about 1889 and removed to the mountains of Colorado, where he was a teamster in the logging and lumber camps. He remained in Colorado three years and then came to Chicago, Illinois, where he became manager of an ice plant. About 1896 he returned to the old home place in Harrison county and again resumed farming. Ten years later the place was sold and he retired for a short time. After his marriage, Mr. Brown took charge of his wife's farm and is now farming two hundred acres upon which he has made extensive improvements. He keeps a high grade of Shorthorn cattle and owns three hundred and twenty acres of land in Canada, fifty acres of which is in timber.
Mr. Brown was married August 2, 1909, to Mrs. Irene (BEST) Boynton, who was born in 1856, in Adams county, Wisconsin. She is the daughter of Lycurgus and Angeline (SMITH) Best. Lycurgus Smith was a native of Ohio and his wife of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Brown was first married in 1887 to Nelson Boynton, a native of Vermont, born in 1832. When twenty-one years of age he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and engaged in farming and stock raising, in which he was very successful. He died on January 24, 1908.
To Mrs. Brown's first marriage two children were born, Mrs. Carrie I. Hardin, born in 1888, who lives just east of her mother in Calhoun township. She attended the district schools and graduated from the Woodbine Normal School. Her husband is a graduate of the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. Ida May, the second child, who is now Mrs. Wimberley, is also a graduate of Woodbine Normal. She attended the Wesley University of Art and Music one year and is now a student at the University of Nebraska. She is a young woman of artistic temperament and possessed of a great deal of natural talent. No children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Brown.
Mr. Brown is a Democrat. He is a member of the Catholic church and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has served his township as road supervisor and as a school officer. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are well known and highly respected citizens of Calhoun township. Mrs. Brown is a woman of unusual ability, courteous, affable and highly respected. She takes a worthy interest in all public movements and is regarded as a leader of her sex in Calhoun township.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 825, 826, 827 Family Researcher: NA
Kenton E. BRUNDIGE -
A successful merchant and farmer of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is Kenton E. Brundige, who has spent his entire career in Harrison county. Born and reared on the farm he engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1911, when he moved to Missouri Valley to engage in the hardware business. Since that time he has built up a large and lucrative trade, while at the same time he has maintained a careful supervision of his farm. He is a man of sterling character and has so conducted himself as to win material prosperity and at the same time secure the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens.
Kenton E. Brundige, the son of J. G. and Jane (CHINWORTH) Brundige, was born on a farm in Harrison county, Iowa, northeast of Missouri Valley, May 30, 1882. His parents were both natives of Indiana and came to Harrison county, Iowa, about forty years ago. J. G. Brundige lived on a farm until about eight years ago, when he moved to Missouri Valley and retired from active farm life. His wife died in 1900. J. G. Brundige and wife were the parents of eight children, six of whom are living, Clyde, of Bowdon, North Dakota; Anna, the wife of B. P. Scebold, of Pottawattamie county, Iowa; Ida, the wife of B. R. Norton, now living in California; K. E., of Missouri Valley; Belle, the wife of R. G. Kohl, of Missouri Valley, and Eva, the wife of Albert Dray, of Woodbine, Iowa.
K. E. Brundige was reared on his father's farm in this county and after completing the course of education in the common schools attended the Woodbine Normal School. After leaving school he followed farming on the old homestead until 1911, since which time he has been engaged in the retail hardware business in Missouri Valley. His store is well stocked with a general line of shelf and heavy hardware, and he has succeeded in building up a large trade in a remarkably short time. He is a man of good business judgement, and by his courteous treatment of his customers, as well as the high quality of the goods he handles, he has built up a very comfortable business.
Mr. Brundige was married in 1906 to Anna WEATHERLY, of Harrison county, a daughter of John Weatherly, and to this union have been born three children, Elma, Beryl and Howard.
Mr. Brundige is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Homesteaders. He gives his support to the Republican party but has confined his activities thus far to the casting of his ballot for its candidates. He owns a well-improved farm of one hundred fifty acres in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, to which he gives his careful supervision. It is not always true that a man who leaves his farm to enter mercantile life makes a success of the venture, but Mr. Brundige is an exception, as he has been no less successful as a merchant than as a farmer. Since moving to Missouri Valley Mr. Brundige has been interested in the welfare of the city and has given his hearty support to all measures which were promoted for the general welfare of the community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 780, 781 Family Researcher: NA
Ambrose BURKE -
One of the leading members of the bar of Harrison county, Iowa, is Ambrose Burke, who has been a resident of Missouri Valley since the spring of 1902. He had previously practiced for several years in Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he was born and reared to manhood. Since coming to Missouri Valley he has been identified with many of the important cases coming before the local courts and has never failed to acquit himself in a credible manner. Not only as a lawyer but as a public-spirited citizen, he has been prominently identified with the history of the city, and his geniality and strength of character have made him universally admired and respected by all who know him.
Ambrose Burke, the son of Finley A. and Margaret (MCMILLEN) Burke, was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, December 25, 1866. His father was born in Virginia and his mother in Maryland, and they were married before coming west.
Finley A. Burke was comptroller of Wheeling, West Virginia, before he moved west. He located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and was police judge of that city from 1866 until 1882, at which time the charter of the city was changed and he became city auditor, retaining this latter position until April, 1889, and his death occurred in the following July. Finley Burke was very prominent in the life of Council Bluffs, a Republican in politics and a public-spirited citizen who was deeply interested in the welfare of the city. He was twice married, his first wife having been a Miss SMITH, to which union four children were born, one of whom is living, Hugh M. Burke, now connected with the San Francisco Chronicle. The second wife of Finley Burke was Margaret MCMILLEN, and to this latter union eight children were born, four of whom are living; Mrs. Doctor Mudge, of Council Bluffs; George A., who is in the county treasurer's office at Council Bluffs; John P., the manager of a smelter at East Chicago, Indiana, and Ambrose, who has been a resident of Missouri Valley for many years.
Ambrose Burke received all of his education in the schools of Council Bluffs. His father being a lawyer, it was natural that he should enter the legal profession, and while still a youth he began to study under the direction of Walter I. Smith, who is now on the bench of the United States circuit court of appeals. He was admitted to the bar by the supreme court of Iowa in 1888 at the age of twenty-two, and has since been practicing his profession. He remained at Council bluffs until May, 1902, and then moved to Missouri Valley, where he has since made his home. In 1904 he formed a partnership with Frank Tamisiea, which still continues. This firm has a general law practice and has built up a reputation for excellent service which causes it to be ranked among the leading firms of the county seat.
Mr. Burke was married July 18, 1894, to Maud CORNELL, of Goshen, Indiana, and to this union three children have been born; Richard A., who was graduated from the Missouri Valley high school in the spring of 1913, and is now an employee of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company; Cora, aged fifteen, and Mildred, aged thirteen.
Mr. Burke has taken all the degrees in Odd Fellowship, and has always been interested in this fraternal organization. He has been especially active in the Modern Woodmen of America and has been delegate to two national councils of the Knights and Ladies of Security. He is also a member of the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. In politics he has been identified with the Progressive party since its organization in 1912, and has been chairman of the Harrison county central committee since the organization of the party. Mr. Burke is a man of kindly impulses, of domestic tastes and a fine example of the good American citizen.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 764, 765, 766 Family Researcher: NA