1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Thirty One
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
William COULTHARD -
The Coulthard family has been connected with Harrison county's history since 1858, in which year the father of William Coulthard first came to Harrison county and bought land. William Coulthard himself did not come to the county until 1865, arriving here when he was twenty-one years of age from Canada, where he was born and reared. For the first few years he farmed and worked in the lumber camps along the Missouri river, but since 1869 has been engaged in general farming and stock raising with unusual success. He now owns about seven hundred acres of well-improved land, on which he has three sets of farm buildings.
William Coulthard, the son of Robert L. and Jane (EDDIE) Coulthard, was born on August 19, 1844, near Glencoe, Ontario, Canada. His parents were natives of Dumfries and Nairn, Inverness, Scotland, and came to Canada when they were children with their parents. Albert L. Coulthard came to America about the year 1825, grew to manhood in Canada and there married Jane Eddie. About 1857 or 1858 Robert Coulthard came to Harrison county, Iowa, and bought land. However, he did not remain here, but returned to Canada, where he owned a good farm, and lived in that country until in May, 1877, at which time he moved to Harrison county, where he spent the remainder of his life.
William Coulthard was one of ten children born to his parents and the third in order of birth. He came to this county from Canada about 1865. He left his home in February of that year and came by stage from Cedar Rapids to Council Bluffs, and thence drove through to Harrison county. For the first four years after coming to this county he worked in the lumber camps along the river and floated lumber down to Omaha. Shortly after coming to the county he began to buy land, purchasing some of it for two dollars and fifty cents an acre, although he has since paid as much as one hundred and twenty-seven dollars and fifty cents an acre for land. Year after year found him more prosperous and his seven hundred acres in Cincinnati township is sufficient evidence that he has been successful in all of his operations. He has engaged in general farming and stock raising and now annually feeds about one hundred and fifty head of cattle and from two hundred and fifty to three hundred head of hogs for the market. He has his own threshing machine and does his plowing with a gasoline tractor. He uses mules exclusively for his farm work, having twelve head of mules on the farm. His son, Lloyd, now manages the farm and also owns considerable land of his own. Lloyd is one of the most progressive young men of the county and bids fair to become a leader in its agricultural affairs.
William Coulthard was married on January 26, 1867, to Jane EDDIE, who was born on October 14, 1848, in Atton, Ecksport township, Middlesex county, Canada, a daughter of John and Jane (SEATON) Eddie, natives of Scotland. William Coulthard was married in Canada, and in July, 1856, moved to Minnesota, where he lived for ten years. In 1866 he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and bought land in Cincinnati township, giving six dollars an acre for it. Mr. Coulthard and his wife are the parents of twelve children, five of whom are living, Anna, Inez, Harry, Ella and Lloyd. Robert, William, Lolla, Lalla, and two who died in infancy, are the other seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Coulthard. Lalla was married to Umpton Myers and left her husband with two children, Lolla and Lilla, twins. Lolla was accidentally shot. Anna married Samuel Downey, of Logan, and has three children living, Hazel, William and Harry, Robert, another son, dying in infancy. Inez, who married Fred Herman, and lives in Lee, Nebraska, has five sons, Burel, George, Byron, Fred, Harry and Donald. Harry, who lives in Idaho Falls, Idaho, graduated from Iowa State University in the medical department and is now practicing his profession in Idaho Falls. He married Iva Troy. Ella, who became the wife of Carl Doty, has three children, Inez Burel, Glenn Curtis and Marguerite. Lloyd lives with his parents and is now the general manager of this father's large farm. He is a graduate of the Woodbine Normal School. Lloyd is also a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
William Coulthard is one of the oldest farmers of Cincinnati township, having been identified with its interests for nearly half a century. He and his son Lloyd are stanch Republicans. He has been assessor of his township for nine years and also trustee of his township. He also served as clerk of his township. The family are all members of the Presbyterian church and generous contributors to its support.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 806, 807, 808 Family Researcher: NA
Samuel E. COX -
For the past forty years Samuel E. Cox has been a resident of Harrison county, Iowa, his father being one of its early settlers. Mr. Cox engaged in farming, after starting for himself, until 1907, and since that time has been in the recorder's office at Logan, first as deputy and later being elected recorder of the county. He is a man of good education and business ability, and has so managed his affairs as to win and retain the esteem of his neighbors.
Samuel E. Cox, the son of James E. and Mary D. (SPINKS) Cox, was born in Allen township, Harrison county, Iowa, July 3, 1875. His parents reared a family of six children, Martin R., a farmer of this county; Mrs. Ada C. LeValley, deceased; John H., a farmer of this county; Arthur, a farmer living near Woodbine; Earl, a farmer of the county, and Samuel E.
James E. Cox was born in 1853 in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and is now farming in Harrison county. He is a son of Isaac Cox, who was born, in Ohio, in 1818. Mary Ann (Deal) Cox, the mother of James E., was born, in Indiana, in 1824, and died in 1910. Isaac Cox died in 1901. He was an early settler in Harrison county, where he engaged in farming, until his death. Mary D. Spinks, the mother of Samuel E. Cox, was a daughter of Samuel C. and Elizabeth (Emily) Spinks. Her father was born on February 21, 1812, in Ohio, and came to Harrison county, Iowa, about 1855, where he engaged in farming until his death July 6, 1884. Elizabeth Spinks was born in Pennsylvania on August 4, 1816, and died in 1894.
Samuel E. Cox was reared on his father's farm in Allen township, and after finishing the course in the common schools of his neighborhood, entered Woodbine Normal School. He supplemented his normal school training with a course in a commercial college at Omaha. He worked on the farm until 1903, and then began farming for himself. He bought eighty acres of land in Allen township and has placed extensive improvements upon it since assumed possession. He has put in a half-acre of fruit trees which are now bearing fruit. He keeps high-grade stock and feeds as much as he can from the produce of his own farm. In addition to his farm, Mr. Cox owns a comfortable home in Logan. Mr. Cox was married to Pearl LOUGH, who was born in 1882, in Mahaska county, Iowa, and is a daughter of George W. Lough and wife, and to this union two children have been born, Neva, deceased, and Harold, aged one year.
Mr. Cox is a Republican and has taken an active part in the affairs of his party in this county. Before being appointed deputy recorder in 1907, he had held the office of township assessor of his home township. He served as deputy recorder for two terms and was then elected recorder. His term will expire in 1915 and he then expects to resume his farming in Allen township. The family are earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Cox is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is giving universal satisfaction as recorder of the county and is giving his fellow citizens faithful and conscientious service in his administration of his duties.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. ? Family Researcher: NA
Nathaniel L. COYLE -
The Coyle family came to Harrison county, Iowa, from Kentucky in 1879 and located about ten miles southeast of Woodbine. Mr. Coyle started in to work by the month, after reaching his majority and later began as a renter. Before he finally located on his present farm in Allen township he bought and sold several different farms in the county. He now has as much land under cultivation as any other farmer in Allen township, and is universally considered one of the most enterprising farmers of that township.
Nathaniel L. Coyle, the son of Peter and Hester (RAMEY) Coyle, was born on March 10, 1863, in Kentucky. His parents were both natives of the same state, of Irish descent. The first members of the Coyle family came to the United States about 1800.
Nathaniel L Coyle was one of ten children, born to his parents and next to the youngest. When he was sixteen years old the family came from Kentucky to Harrison county, Iowa, where they purchased land. Mr. Coyle received but a limited common school education in the subscription schools, which were current in his day. He remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age and then worked out for three years, receiving twenty dollars a month, which was then considered good wages. He saved his money, and then rented a farm for three years before buying his first farm of eighty acres southwest of Woodbine. On this farm he lived for twelve years, to which he added, from time to time, until he had one hundred and seventy-five acres. His first eighty acres cost him fifteen dollars an acre. He sold this farm and bought eighty acres a mile and a half north of Logan in 1905, but only lived on it for two years. He then bought a farm east of Logan, on which he lived for six years. He bought his present farm of two hundred and fifty acres in section 28, Ellan township, in 1913. While engaging in general farming, he devotes most of his attention to stock raising, and feeds about one hundred and fifty head of hogs and three carloads of cattle for the market each year. He is one of the few farmers in the county who are breeding Hampshire hogs, and has had excellent success in handling this particular breed.
Mr. Coyle was married on January 11, 1888, to Edith ALLISON. She was born in Harrison county, and is a daughter of Isaac and Sarah (OWENS) Allison, natives of Virginia. Her parents came to Harrison county about 1856 and were among the very first settlers.
Mr. and Mrs. Coyle are the parents of fourteen children. Four of the children are married, Cloy, Gussie, Rena and Harrison. Cloy married Bert Peterson, a farmer of this county, and has two children, Stella and Edith; Gussie became the wife of Julius Grovener, a farmer living near Woodbine, and has two children, Dorothy and Hattie; Rena is the wife of Charles Hollenbeck, a farmer living northwest of Logan, and has two children, Edith and Harold. Harrison, a farmer living northwest of Woodbine, married Elsie Harper. Eddie married Nellie Elhert, now farming the Ehlert farm. The other children are still at home; Thelma, Hattie, Frank, Clara, Hester, Dora, Ralph, Rex and Clark Nathaniel.
Mr. Coyle is a Democrat and has served as road supervisor and school director in his township. He has never cared to take an active part in a political way, and only took these offices at the earnest solicitation of his friends. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Coyle is a member of the Latter-Day Saints church.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 923, 924 Family Researcher: NA
Charles Edward JONES -
One of the substantial citizens of St. Johns township, Harrison county, Iowa, is Charles Edward Jones, the subject of this sketch. Mr. Jones is a man of whom it may be truly said that he �stands four-square to every wind that blows,� for in every walk of life he fills his place to the best of his ability. He is a man of quiet temperament, who gives the best of attention to his own affairs, but so truly does he appreciate his responsibilities as a citizen of this great commonwealth that he finds time to take an active interest in matters of public welfare and being a man of kindly disposition, he has many warm friends throughout the county.
Charles Edward Jones is a native of this state, born on Willow Creek in Pottawattamie county on February 14, 1863, a son of Reuben and Catherine (SKELTON) Jones, both of whom were natives of the Hoosier state, born and reared on neighboring farms in Greene county, Indiana. They married in their native state, and soon after marriage decided to come into the west in quest of fortune. They made the journey to this state in covered wagons, after the manner of that time, and in 1851 or 1852 arrived in Pottawattamie county, where they secured a tract of wild land on the banks of Willow Creek, where they established a home and where the subject of this sketch was later born. They were among the earlier settlers of that district and being among the leading citizens, were well known. Reuben Jones was a Democrat and active in the political affairs of the new section, which brought him into contact with the best men, by all of whom he was held in high esteem. Religiously both Reuben Jones and wife were members of the Primitive Baptist church and lived their lives in strict accord with its teachings. They passed the remainder of their days on the farm home on the banks of Willow Creek, both dying there. Their family consisted of five children, of whom Lizzie, the eldest, is deceased. Mary became the wife of Green Jones, of St. Johns, this county, and Charles E., the immediate subject of this sketch, is the third child of the family in order of birth. Ella married David Campbell and lives near Loveland, this state, and Della, the youngest of the family, is the wife of Daniel Skelton, of Pottawattamie county.
When a boy Charles E. Jones did not have very good advantages in the way of schooling, the only schools to which he had access being the little schools of pioneer times. However, he made the best of the opportunities offered and remained with his father until his eighteenth year. In September, 1882, he was united in marriage with Martha DENTON, a young lady residing in Pottawattamie county, who had been born in Linton, Greene county, Indiana. She was a daughter of Thomas and Mary (ELLIS) Denton, both of whom were born and reared in Greene county and who first came to this state in 1870. They located first in Adams county, later moving to Pottawattamie county, still later to Monroe county, and finally located in St. Johns, this county. It was in the year 1898 they settled in Harrison county, where Mr. Denton still resides, his wife having died in 1905. He was both a blacksmith and farmer, combining both his occupations not only to the benefit of himself, but also to the great convenience of friends and neighbors. They had a family of seven children, Mrs. Jones being the eldest child of the family. Elizabeth Married John Roden and resides in Emporia, Kansas. She is the mother of eleven children, three of whom, Lulu, Warren and Dudley, have passed from this life. Those remaining are George, Edward, Lucy, Mary, Stephen, Winifred, Lelah and Nellie. Winnie, the fourth child of Mr. Denton's family, is dead, as also is Alice, the fifth child. Winnie was the wife of William Steele and he, together with four children, Iva, Pearl, Guy and Wilma, survive her. Annie is the wife of George Cox, of Missouri Valley, and they have a family of five children, Mildred, Freda, Dudley, Lelah and Isabelle. George, the youngest of the family, married Della Dickinson and is located at Missouri Valley, where he is an engineer on the local division of the Chicago & Northwestern railroad.
Directly after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Jones located in La Grange township, this county, where they remained for one year, at the end of which time they moved to Council Bluffs, where they remained for a short time only, and then secured a location in Monroe county, this state. There they farmed for fifteen years and in 1901 Mr. Jones disposed of his holdings there and removed to St. Johns township, this county, where he has since made his home. The place contains ninety acres and since obtaining possession of it Mr. Jones has made many improvements thereon. He carries on general farming as practiced by the best agriculturists throughout this section and is uniformly successful in his undertakings. He is a Democrat and, though taking an active part in political affairs, has never aspired to office. His fraternal affiliation is held with the Yeomanry, and throughout the community honored by his residence he is held in the highest respect and has a large circle of warm friends. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are the parents of three children, but one of whom, however, survives. This is Zora, the eldest of the family, who is the wife of Frank Craig, a farmer, located in St. Johns township. The two daughters who have passed from this life are Erma W. and Nancy G. Mrs. Jones is a fine woman who has fulfilled her part in winning for the family the respect of which they are so worthy.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 554, 555, 556 Family Researcher: NA
W. Allen JONES -
The worthy gentleman whose name heads this paragraph is so well known throughout Harrison county, Iowa, as to need no introduction to another citizen thereof. W. Allen Jones is a recognized leader in his community, being always among the very first to take hold of any project which will benefit, even indirectly, the community at large. He lends his time and money freely in any good cause, is a man of unusual business ability and winning personality and has a host of friends. He is one who can rightly style himself a �self-made� man, for he has won success by his own efforts and often in the face of discouraging conditions.
W. Allen Jones was born on March 15, 1859, on Honey Creek, Boomer township, Pottawattamie county, this state, being a son of Allen and Sarah (SKELTON) Jones, the latter of whom was a native of Indiana. Allen Jones also was born in Indiana and was a son of Allen Jones, of that state, whose father came to this country from Wales. When a young man, Allen Jones left his native state, going into Kentucky, where he remained a short time and then returned to Indiana, settling in Putnam county. There he met Sarah Skelton and made her his bride. He was a farmer and about the year 1853 joined the great army of men who were coming westward in search of fortune, Iowa being his goal. He settled on Honey Creek, Boomer township, Pottawattamie county, where he secured wild land and set himself the task of improving it. He remained there until 1865, in which year he sold out and went to a location near Sidney, this state, where he farmed for a couple of years. Not being satisfied with that location, he went to Holt county, Missouri, where he remained for four years and later went on to Phillips county, Kansas, where he secured a tract of wild land. He was doing nicely in that location, when the grasshopper scourge reached his district and the pests completely cleaned him out. Thoroughly discouraged, he returned to Pottawattamie county, and settled near Loveland, where he still resided in his eighty-seventh year, hale and hearty for one of his age. In his early years Allen Jones learned the carpenter's and cabinet maker's trade, and worked at it for some time. He was above the average in point of workmanship and used to make a great many coffins, as well as pieces of furniture. He has led an active life and has many friends. His first wife died on December 25, 1865, and he married, secondly, Mrs. Ruth Jane (HAWKINS) Jones, a native of Indiana. She was the widow of Jonathan Jones, by whom she had five children: Eliza, deceased; Aseneth, residing in Hastings, this state; Henrietta, living at Carson, Iowa; Haddasah, living at Glenwood, this state, and Apler R., who lives near Loveland. By his first wife, Allen Jones had five children: Lemuel W., who married Eliza Selvey and died in 1882, leaving a widow and three children, Anna, William A. and Lambert: John L., a farmer near Honey Creek Station, this state, who married Viola C. Reel and has a family of eight children; Amanda A., who married Wilson McDowell, lives near Glenwood, Iowa, where he husband is engaged in farming and fruit growing: Noah H., who married Mary A. Robeson, and is in the ice business in Worth county, Missouri, and W. Allen, the youngest of the family, the immediate subject of this sketch. Allen Jones has for years voted the Democrat ticket, but he has never cared for the doubtful honor of public office, being content to perform his duties as a private citizen. His religious membership is with the Primitive Baptist church, to which society he has given his support for many years.
When a boy, W. Allen Jones attended the primitive schools of this section, the buildings at that time being small log structures, with puncheon floors and writing desks arranged about the walls. He secured what education he could in this manner and applied himself so well to the opportunities offered, that he was able to lay a good educational foundation, on which in later years he has reared a structure alone and unaided. He remained with his parents until 1874, working on farms in both St. Johns and LaGrange townships for about two years. His first business venture was when he bought land in section 13 of St. Johns township, this tract containing ninety-three acres. It was partly improved when he obtained possession of it and had on it a small frame dwelling. He added to its acreage a time or two and in 1898 disposed of his holdings and purchased from the estate of his deceased father-in-law his present home in St. Johns township, known as the A. R. Cox place. At the time he bought this tract, it contained three hundred and sixty acres and he has added thereto, until the home farm now contains four hundred and forty-seven acres. He also owns a farm of three hundred and fifteen acres near Loveland in Rockford township, Pottawattamie county. He has what is claimed to be some of the finest land in the state and in the management of his lands he proves himself possessed of business ability of a higher order. A considerable portion of his land is devoted to general farming, as practiced throughout this section, and in addition he has more than a local reputation as a breeder of live stock. He has at the present time about sixty-five thoroughbred Herefords on his place and a goodly number of Duroc-Jersey hogs of pure strain. He also raises a few horses and while not specializing in this line, there have been some fine animals in his stables. He also feeds a quantity of cattle for the market each year and, in fact, his business is of considerable magnitude.
Mr. Jones married on March 2, 1881, to Mary COX, born on the old Cox homestead, where Mr. Jones has lived for a number of years. She is a daughter of Andrew Reel and Barbara Jane (DEAL) Cox, the former of Quaker stock and the latter of German ancestry, both natives of Indiana, who came to this state in 1855, settling near Loveland, on Honey creek, where they remained for several years. In 1857 or 1858 they came to this county and entered the land where Mr. Jones and his wife now live, passing the remainder of their lives in that spot. Mr. Cox died on March 16, 1898, and his widow passed from this life on March 20, 1914. A. R. Cox was a miller in his earlier years. He also was a boatman on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers for a short time, but after coming to this section he gave his entire attention to farming. The Coxes were excellent people and reared a large family of children, all of whom have taken their places in the world as good men and women. Mr. Cox was a member of the Quaker church, while his wife belonged to the Primitive Baptists. He was a Republican, taking more than ordinary interest in political affairs. Their eldest son, George T., is a farmer near Missouri Valley, this state, while Peter R., farms in St. Johns township. Sarah is the wife of Robert Hairsine and lives near Loveland. Lydia married M. S. Moats of St. Johns township and Nancy is the wife of A. W. Moats of Bloomfield, Nebraska. The sixth child of the family is Mary, wife of the immediate subject of this sketch. Ella is Mrs. J. S. Fox and resides in Eugene, Oregon, and Neddie, the youngest of the family, died when young.
Mr. Jones holds his fraternal affiliation with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and both he and Mrs. Jones are members of the Daughters of Rebekah. He was one of the promoters and organizers of the Rural Telephone Association and has taken a very active part in the work of instituting the drainage system proposed for Harrison county. He is a stanch Republican, and while not seeking for public office for himself, is a man of known influence at the polls. He is a wide-awake man of affairs, a born leader of men and among a host of friends is held in the highest respect. In 1909 Mr. Jones erected on his farm a modern eleven-room home, which has been made a very beautiful place. Not only has it every convenience to make the lives of its occupants happier, but those occupants themselves lend the charm of their personality to the dwelling, so that it is a home in very truth and fairly radiates a charming hospitality, appealing to friend and stranger alike. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have a family of six children, namely: Carl T., the eldest, a farmer near Loveland, this state, married Frances Morgan, who has borne him three children, Helen I., Wilma A. and Dean T.; Hallie, the wife of B. W. Moorehouse, a farmer, of Craig, Nebraska, is the mother of three children, Marguerite, Louise and Nellie; Gertrude married Ray R. Beckley, a farmer, of Blair, Nebraska, and has one child, James Allen; Chris C., the fourth child in order of birth, resides at home and has the management of his father's place. He received his preliminary education in the home schools of Missouri Valley and at the Woodbine normal and was graduated from the Iowa State College on June 11, 1914. A little daughter, Edna, died in December of 1896 and Gladys Fyrne, the youngest of the family, remains at home, attending school at Missouri Valley. Mr. Jones is one of those men who has proved himself a man indeed, in every walk of life, and is well entitled to the high regard in which he is held by the people of the county. Therefore, it is eminently fitting that he should be specially mentioned in a work of the character of the one in hand.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 784, 785, 786, 787 Family Researcher: NA
Thomas F. JORDAN and Arthur N. JORDAN -
This well-known old family, whose name appears above, has been so long identified with the history of Dunlap and vicinity, that the history of one is the history of both to a great extent. For many years the family was active in agricultural circles, making its mark in that vocation, and of recent years both father and son have been prominently identified with the banking interests of Dunlap and vicinity, and in whatsoever connection the name has been known, it long ago came to be recognized as synonymous with honor and integrity.
Thomas Frederick Jordan, president of the First National Bank of Dunlap, Harrison county, Iowa, is a native of New York state and is descended from sterling Scottish ancestry. He is the son of Thomas Frederick and Anna (JUDGE) Jordan, the father passing from this life while the son was still quite young. The mother was a woman of much native shrewdness and great strength of character and some time after the death of her husband she bravely set out for the new world with her little family of three sons, John, James and Thomas F., in the belief that the new land would offer greater opportunities for achievement. The family first settled in central New York and remained there for a number of years, until the children had attained maturity. In 1866 Mr. Jordan was united in marriage with Lettie E. MARTIN, a daughter of Nathan H. and Susan D. (COOK) Martin, thus uniting two excellent families. Nathan H. Martin was a native of Massachusetts, his wife coming from Rhode Island, and both came from families whose earlier members had emigrated to this country from England, and were identified with the agricultural interests of New York state. They were the parents of four children, Lyman, Lettie, Jennie M. and Ella G., deceased.
Frederick Jordan and wife came to Iowa in 1870, locating in Harrison county on a farm situated about six miles south of Dunlap. There they remained for a number of years, rearing their family and prospering in their chosen work. It was in 1899 that the family took up residence in Dunlap. At which time Mr. Jordan became identified with the First National Bank. Mr. Jordan is held in high esteem by a large circle of personal and business acquaintances and is eminently entitled to the enviable regard in which he is held by all. He is a most excellent type of self-made man and may well stand as an incentive and example to ambitious young men. He started out in life to succeed and brought to his undertaking the most worthy traits of manly character with the result that today he is known far and wide as a man who stands four-square to every wind that blows.
Mr. Jordan's fraternal affiliation is held with the Knights of Pythias and his religious fellowship is with the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he has been a consistent member for a number of years. Politically, he is aligned with the Republican party and while never having been a seeker after office, is one of that worthy class of men who are anxious to see the right man fill the right place. Mr. Jordan is the father of two children, the elder of whom is his daughter, Gertrude, wife of William Hughes Davis, and the younger, his son Arthur N., who is associated with him in his banking business, a sketch of whose career follows:
Arthur N. Jordan, cashier of the First National Bank of Dunlap, was born on September 16, 1873, on the family homestead in Douglas township, about six miles south of Dunlap. When a youth he attended the township schools of his home district and when he had completed his studies there, he was sent to Dennison, Iowa, where he took a course in business training. After returning to his home, he became associated with his father in the capacity of assistant cashier of the First National Bank, filling that position for three years, at the end of which time he was elected to the office of cashier, in which capacity he is serving at the present time.
Arthur N. Jordan chose as his wife Miss Birdie RAINE, daughter of William and Margaret (ATKINSON) Raine, with whom he was united in matrimony on February 21, 1898. The Raines are English, having come direct to this state upon emigrating from their native country. They were residents of Dennison and it was there Mr. Jordan met his bride while attending school. Mr. and Mrs. Jordan have one child, Elizabeth Margaret, born on December 30, 1913.
Mr. Jordan is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Dunlap, contributing generously of his means to further the cause of the society. His fraternal affiliation he holds in the ancient order of Free-masonry, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. Politically, he is a Republican and, while not especially active in political circles, is keenly interested in the party's affairs.
Mr. Arthur Jordan is in every particular a worthy son of a worthy father and both are classed in the very front rank of the leading citizens of their community. They have long been identified with the best interests of the town in every respect and are ever glad to lend their influence in the direction of all that makes for the betterment of their town and community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 517, 518, 519 Family Researcher: NA
E. H. BARRETT -
The history of Harrison county, Iowa, is not a very old one. It is a record of the steady advance of civilization, which within the last century reached this section, finding it in its virgin wilderness, and which has attained to its present high status without other aids than those of industry. The people who redeemed its wilderness fastnesses were strong-armed, sturdy sons of the soil, who hesitated at no difficulty and for whom hardships and privations held small error. The early pioneers, having blazed the pathway of civilization to this part of the state, finished their labors and passed from the scene, leaving the country to the possession of their descendants and to others who came at a later period and builded on the foundations which they had laid so broad and deep. As conditions of living in this section improved, one by one various modern institutions appeared, until today we of this favored section of the country can boast of all modern advantages. Among these modern institutions stand first of all the banking system which has sprung up and been of untold value in the work of developing the resources of this section, and among the men who have brought about this gratifying condition of affairs is the subject of this sketch, E. H. Barrett, the efficient financier, president of the Citizens State Bank of Dunlap.
Mr. Barrett was born in this state, having first seen the light of day in clinton county, on March 8, 1861, being a son of Michael and Rose (CAULFIELD) Barrett, both of whom were natives of the Emerald Isle. It is a coincidence that both parents of the immediate subject of this sketch emigrated to America in the year 1847, at a time when the father was fourteen years of age and the mother twelve, both, of course, accompanying their respective parents. Mr. Barrett's paternal grandfather, Jacob Barrett, settled in New York state in the famed Genesee valley, where for several years he farmed. Not being completely satisfied with their original location, they decided to emigrate still further westward and for a time resided in Indiana. It was in the year 1852 that Jacob Barrett came first to Iowa, and during the year 1854 he brought the family and settled in Clinton county. During all this time Michael, father of our subject, was with his parents and accompanied them to this state, bringing with him his young wife whom he had married in Indiana in the vicinity of Madison. Mr. Barrett's mother's family (Caulfield) had first settled in Buffalo, New York, after reaching this country, but later removed to Madison, Indiana.
Michael Barrett's first vocation in this state was that of farming in Clinton county, where he remained until 1867, having for five years been engaged in the mercantile business in Wheatland. After leaving Clinton county, he took up his residence in this county, locating on a farm about one mile south of the town of Dunlap. He gave his attention to agricultural work until 1871, when he moved to Dunlap and opened up a mercantile business at that place, which venture has had a long and prosperous career. Michael Barrett still lives at an advanced age, a remarkable gentleman for his years. His wife passed from this life in 1909, on May 28, at the age of seventy-four years.
E. H. Barrett is one of a family of ten children, being the fourth in the order of birth. Of this family, but three have passed into the Great Beyond. Bessie M., the eldest of the family, is the wife of M. C. Dally, of Dunlap. Jennie M. is the widow of J. M. Smith, and resides at Waterloo, this state. M. J. is associated with his brother, E. H., in the Citizens State Bank of Dunlap and fills the office of vice-president, while J. F., a younger brother, is connected with the same institution, in the capacity of cashier. Mary is the wife of Dr. William Beatty, who has retired from the practice of his profession and is also connected with the Citizens State Bank in the capacity of first vice-president. Nellie is the wife of Frank Gallagher and resides at Salt Lake City, Utah, where her husband is editor of the Salt Lake Tribune.
Subject received his elementary education in the schools of Dunlap and when a young man entered Bryant's commercial school at Chicago for the purpose of obtaining a complete course in business training. He was graduated from that institution in 1878 and returned to his home in Dunlap, where he shortly afterward entered his father's business as bookkeeper, in which position he served until 1884, when he was received into partnership with his father. Soon after becoming a member of the firm he assumed active charge of the business and remained in that capacity until 1912, when the business was reorganized and incorporated under the firm name of The Ludden Company and is one of the larger institutions of its kind in this section. M. J. Barrett, brother of the subject of this sketch, entered the firm in 1887, at which time the firm name was changed to M. Barrett & Sons, and thus remained until the reorganization above referred to in 1912. E. H. Barrett has been active in financial circles for many years. He was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Dunlap, which institution was launched in 1889 and served in the capacity of director from the time of its organization until March of 1894. At that time, Mr. Barrett organized the Citizens State Bank of Dunlap and was elected to the presidency of the new institution, in which capacity he has since served, and much of its high standing and prosperity is due to his excellent business judgement and financial ability of a high order.
On August 17, 1892, Mr. Barrett was united in marriage with Miss Jessie DEAN, daughter of H. F. and Electa (PELHAM) Dean, the former of whom was a veteran of the Civil War. Mrs. Barrett was born in Clinton county, this state, but her family were originally from New York state. For several years her father engaged in farming in Clinton county, later removing to Westside, in Crawford county, and finally becoming a citizen of this county, where he and his wife both passed away.
Mr. and Mrs. Barrett have an interesting family of three children, Marjorie, David Dean and Gerald M. Mr. Barrett's religious affiliation is with the Roman Catholic church. He is a strong adherent of the Democratic party, and is regarded as one of the strong men of that party in this vicinity. While not himself aspiring to office, his wide influence is well known and his good will sought by those who do seek the honor of ublic office. He was sent by his party as a delegate to the national convention at St. Louis and is regarded as a man of influence in political circles. His fraternal affiliation is held with the Modern Woodmen of America, through the local lodge at Dunlap, and he is connected with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Council Bluffs. Mr. Barrett is regarded as one of the most influential citizens of this vicinity and is rated high in the esteem of all. He is in every respect worthy of that regard, for besides being a man of unusual ability, he is also a man of generous impulses, broad in his sympathies and kindly in his relations with his fellowmen. He is a wide-awake man of affairs, who generously gives of his time and ability to the promotion of the general welfare of the community in which his lines have fallen.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 881, 882, 883, 884 Family Researcher: NA
Arthur BEEBEE -
Among the men of sterling worth and strength of character who have made an impression upon the life of Harrison county, Iowa, few have accomplished more in this respect than Arthur Beebee, an enterprising young farmer and stockman of La Grange township. His life-long residence in this locality has given the people an opportunity to know him in every phase of his character. That he has been true to life in its every phase is manifest from the esteem and regard in which he is held by his neighbors and fellow citizens. He has won success by his own honest endeavor, indomitable energy and remarkable executive ability. These qualities have placed him in the front ranks of the farmers of Harrison county. He has outstripped less active plodders on the highway of life and has achieved a marked success in agricultural affairs, partially because of his own native ability and partially because of his splendid training.
Arthur Beebee was born March 1, 1878, in La Grange township, Harrison county, Iowa. He is a son of Fred F. and Lois (HUDSON) Beebee, who are referred to elsewhere in this volume. Arthur Beebee attended the schools of Beebeetown, later was a student at the Woodbine Normal School, graduating from the latter institution in 1896. After leaving school he took up railroad work and was engaged as a railroad brakeman by the Northwestern Railroad. He was employed by this company until 1903, when he returned home and engaged in farming and raising live stock with his father. They farmed and fed stock in partnership for four years, after which Mr. Beebee purchased seventy-two acres of land from his father and is now the proud owner of two hundred and seventy-one acres. To this farm he has added about four thousand dollars' worth of improvements. An improvement of the farm which Mr. Beebee prizes very highly and justly, too, is an underground silo, which was the second one ever built in Harrison county. This silo is the invention of himself and father. Arthur Beebee now has three large underground silos on his two farms. He is a heavy cattle feeder during the feeding season. In 1913 he had the second largest field of alfalfa in the state, one hundred and sixty acres in all. From the time he began farming Arthur Beebee has kept the highest grade of live stock, and will have no other kind. Of all the young farmers of La Grange township, Arthur Beebee must be regarded as one of the most promising, and one of those men who can always be depended upon to be a benefactor to any community in which they reside.
Mr. Beebee was married in 1901, to Alice BOWER, and to this union two bright, energetic girls have been born. The elder, Helen, was born March 1, 1903. Lois was born October 9, 1904.
Arthur Beebee is unquestionably a man who is regarded as a leader in La Grange township. He is public-spirited in the highest sense of the word. He is a Republican in politics. Mr. Beebee is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America, and is a leader in both these fraternal organizations.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 829, 830 Family Researcher: NA
Amsey BEEDLE -
The great Civil War, which this country experienced, was one of the worst calamities that could befall any nation, and all honor is due to those brave men who fought that the Union might be saved. There is something fine and noble about the thought of thousands of youths going forth from home and family to face unknown dangers, and, if necessary, to give their lives for that which they thought was right, and those men who went through the war and lived to tell of its horrors, are worthy of all honor and consideration. A veteran who has served his country, both as soldier and as civic officer, is Amsey Beedle.
Amsey Beedle, the son of a father of whom he has no remembrance, and who died when he was an infant, and Amanda (MCCOY) Beedle, was born in Warren county, Ohio, February 11, 1841. His mother was a native of Ohio, and came to Council Bluffs, Iowa, with her second husband about 1852. She was the mother of five children, two of whom are living. She died in 1914, at Harlan, Iowa.
The opportunities for a good education, in Mr. Beedle's boyhood, were rare, and his educational training consisted of that secured in the common schools, near his home in Ohio. He came to Iowa with his mother and step-father. After arriving in Iowa, he resumed his schooling in Council Bluffs and later in the district of Jefferson township, Harrison county, Iowa. At the age of seventeen, he started to work by the month, on the farms of the neighbors, and continued in this work until the outbreak of the Civil War, when he enlisted at Magnolia, Iowa, in 1862, in Company C, of the Twenty-ninth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He served bravely throughout the war, saw a great deal of active service in the south, and was finally discharged at New Orleans, in 1865, being mustered out at Davenport, Iowa.
After the close of the war, Mr. Beedle went to Woodbine, Iowa, where he worked in a woolen mill and learned the trade of a loom weaver. Having accumulated some capital, five years later he began farming in Jefferson township, in this county, by buying untilled land and breaking it up, erecting a few buildings and making other improvements. Mr. Beedle has always been a hard worker, and, as a result of his labors, has met with a fair share of success. At one time he owned three hundred and sixty acres of land in Cass and Jefferson townships, while he is now the owner of two hundred acres in Jefferson and Cass townships.
Mr. Beedle retired from active farm life in 1911, but still lives on his farm, where he has built a comfortable home that stands among a magnificent grove of trees, as an emblem of hard years of toil.
Amsey Beedle was married to Elizabeth KEAIRNES in 1868, and to this union eight children have been born, Mrs. Carrie Waters, who lives on a farm near Woodbine; Mrs. Laura Armstrong, who resides in Omaha, Nebraska; George, deceased; Mrs. Bessie Daugherty, of Woodbine; Verne, who lives in Cass township, Harrison county; Jessie, also a resident of Cass township; Maud, who is still at home with her parents, and Mrs. Irene Hainer, of Magnolia township.
Mrs. Beedle was born on January 1, 1848, in Atchison county, Missouri, and is a daughter of Wilson and Sarah E. (PARKS) Keairnes. Wilson Keairnes, who is a native of Ohio, is still living at the advanced age of ninety years. He makes his home in Dunlap, Iowa. His wife was born in Coles county, Illinois, her death occurring in 1907, at the age of eighty-four.
Mr. Beedle holds to the tenets of the Republican party, on which ticket he was elected constable of Jefferson township. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also belongs to the Post of the Grand Army of the Republic at Woodbine. The spirit which prompted Mr. Beedle to go to the defense of his country, when it was threatened with dissolution, is the same spirit which has caused him to fight for good government, and his true patriotism, expressed in high ideals, has won for him the confidence and sincere respect of his friends and neighbors.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 905, 906 Family Researcher: NA