1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Twenty Nine
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
James P. HAWN -
The past score of years has found James P. Hawn a farmer of Harrison county, Iowa, and his one hundred and sixty acres bears witness to his success along this line. Born in Canada, he came to Iowa with his parents when he was six years of age and lived in Shelby county until he located in Harrison county in 1895. He has not only been materially successful, but has filled a prominent place in the life of the community in which he resides. As township trustee, assessor and road supervisor, he has done his share in the civic life of his township. By his own high personal attainment and his worth to the community at large, it is evident why he is held in such esteem by those who know him.
James P. Hawn, the son of Henry W. and Catherine (BRADY) Hawn, was born in Chesterville, Ontario, April 7, 1871. His parents were both born in Ontario and while living in that country his father was what was known as a �shanty man,� that is, he worked in the pineries during the winter months. Henry W. Hawn was of Dutch-Irish descent and his wife's parents were natives of County Tipperary, Ireland, and early settlers in Ontario, Canada.
Henry W. Hawn and his family left Canada for the United States in 1877. They first settled in Dunlap, Iowa, in February of that year, but in the same spring moved to Shelbyville, Shelby county, Iowa, where they lived until the fall of 1877. They then moved to a farm northwest of Earling which his father had bought and it was in this immediate vicinity that James P. Hawn passed his boyhood days. Here he received his common school education and first knew what it was to combat the world. During the summer time he herded cattle on the broad prairies and did the work of a man, years before he reached his majority. He has hauled corn to Harland, thirteen miles from his home and received eight cents a bushel for it and then hauled back wire to fence the farm for which he had to pay twenty-five cents a rod. While still a youth the Milwaukee railroad was being built for the county and he carried water for the men who were laying the tracks through Shelby county.
Thus the boyhood and early manhood of James P. Hawn passed and the training he thus received has been of great benefit to him in his later career. He learned to rely on himself and it brought out those characteristics which always guarantee success. Upon reaching his majority in 1892, Mr. Hawn rented a farm for himself in the county and lived on it for three years. He came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1895 and rented land, but two years later bought eighty acres of his present farm. This land lies in section 26 of Douglas township, and since his first purchase, he has added eighty acres more in the same section. The farm was improved when he bought it and he has been spared the expense of erecting buildings, thus enabling him to get heavier returns from his investment.
James P. Hawn was married on April 15, 1896, to Anna F. BURNS, and to this union have been born five children, Elizabeth, on May 5, 1897; Henry, August 10, 1900; Alice, August 3, 1904; Mildred, January 17, 1908; and Helen, March 4, 1913. Elizabeth is a graduate of St. Joseph's high school at Dunlap. All of the children are at home with their parents.
Mrs. James P. Hawn was born near Terre Haute, Indiana, and is a daughter of William and Elizabeth (MAHONEY) Burns. Her parents were natives of Ireland, her mother being born in County Cork and her father in County Galway. The Mahoneys first located in Canada upon coming to America, settling there when the mother of Mrs. Hawn was a small girl. The father of Mrs. Hawn came direct from Ireland to Indiana, when he was seventeen years of age.
James P. Hawn is a member of the Knights of Columbus. He is a Democrat, but is not a partisan in any sense of the word. He has served as trustee, assessor and road supervisor of his township and in all three positions rendered faithful and satisfactory service to his constituency. The family are active members of the Catholic church and interested in its welfare.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 966, 967, 968 Family Researcher: NA
Fred A. HEATH -
A substantial business man of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is F. A. Heath, dealer in groceries, flour and feed. Born in Illinois he arrived at Missouri Valley with his parents when he was thirteen years of age and has since made it his home. His father was a merchant for many years in Missouri Valley and Mr. Heath can be said to have inherited his father's ability along mercantile lines. He engaged in business with his father for some years and later bought him out and now has been conducting the business alone since 1903.
Fred A. Heath, the son of A. A. and Clara (PERRY) Heath, was born in Union, McHenry county, Illinois, June 11, 1876. His father was a native of Illinois, and his mother of Patterson, New Jersey. His father was a farmer in Illinois and moved to Missouri Valley, Iowa, in 1889, where he soon became interested in the grocery business, continuing in it until 1903, in which year he sold out his interests to his sons. A. A. Heath is now living in South Dakota on a farm, his wife having died in 1906. Four children were born to A. A. Heath and wife, Burton J., of Colome, South Dakota; Mabel, of Missouri Valley; Mrs. Alice A. Bass, of Dubuque, Iowa, and F. A., of Missouri Valley.
F. A. Heath received part of his education in the schools of Union township, Harrison county, Iowa, and completed it in the schools of Missouri Valley, where he was graduated from the local high school. After leaving the high school he worked for the railroad company in the shops in that city for two years and in 1898 went to work for his father in the grocery store. In 1900 his father made him a partner and in 1903 he purchased his father's interest in the store. His store is well stocked with all kinds of staple and fancy groceries and such other commodities as are usually handled in grocery stores. In addition to his business interests in Missouri Valley Mr. Heath owns some farming land in South Dakota.
Mr. Heath was married June 25, 1902, to Helen STROHBEHN, who was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and to this union one son has been born, Harlan S., whose birth occurred March 14, 1906. Mr. Heath is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Knights of Pythias. In politics he gives his support to the Republican party.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 776, 777 Family Researcher: NA
Carl A. HEISE, M. D. -
One of the youngest physicians of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is Dr. Carl A. Heise, who has been practicing his profession in this city since the fall of 1909. He is a young man of excellent training, a graduate of one of the best medical schools in the United States, which he supplemented by valuable experience in some of the leading hospitals in the country. Since coming to Missouri Valley he has established a private hospital, where he handles his most difficult cases. He is rapidly building up a good practice and the success which has attended his efforts thus far indicates that he will eventually become one of the leading physicians of the county.
Dr. Carl A. Heise, the son of William and Augusta (FALKENBERG) Heise, was born on August 6, 1880, at Alma, Wisconsin. His parents, both of whom were born in Germany, came to America when young and his father is still living at Alma, Wisconsin, where he is engaged in the grain and machinery business. Four children were born to William Heise and wife, W. S. C., a practicing physician at Winona, Minnesota; H. E., who is in the grain and machinery business with his father at Alma, Wisconsin; Emma, the wife of Herman Peterson, Wheelock, North Dakota, and Dr. Carl A., of Missouri Valley.
Doctor Heise received his elementary education in the public schools of Alma, Wisconsin, and later became a student at Winona, Minnesota. He then entered the University of Chicago and later became a student in the Rush medical school, of the same city. He graduated in the class of 1906, and at once became an interne in the Augustinian hospital in Chicago. He later spent two years and a half in the Toledo hospital as first assistant to Dr. John S. Pyle, one of the noted surgeons of Toledo. In the fall of 1909 Dr. Carl Heise came to Missouri Valley, where he succeeded Dr. C. W. Boughton. Doctor Heise is specializing in surgery and has already demonstrated that he has the technical skill necessary for the successful surgeon.
Doctor Heise was married August 12, 1909, to Sarah M. SHARP, of Bay City, Michigan, a daughter of Philip Sharp and wife. To this union three children have been born, Carl A., Jr., Ellen A. and an infant.
Doctor Heise is a member of the Harrison County (Iowa) State and American Medical Societies, as well as a member of the Northwestern Railway Surgeons' Association of Iowa. He has been appointed as civil service examiner and examines all applicants desiring to enter the civil service of the government. Since coming to Missouri Valley he has established a hospital of eight beds, which has proved a very successful institution under his able management.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 854, 855 Family Researcher: NA
William HERMAN -
A native of Germany and a resident of Harrison county, Iowa, since 1879, William Herman has met with the success which invariably accompanies the German-American farmers of this county. He started by renting land, but within a few years became a land owner and now has a well-improved farm in Magnolia township, as well as extensive business interests in Magnolia and Logan.
William Herman, the son of Carl and Marie (DAHN) Herman, was born March 20, 1861, in Mecklenburg, Germany. His parents had ten children, Minnie and Carl, who died in Germany; August, a farmer of this county; William, with whom this narrative deals; Lena, who married J. C. Michael, a farmer of this county; Mrs. Freda Kucks, deceased; Mrs. Augusta Kucks, whose husband is a farmer in Allen township; John and Frank, farmers of Magnolia township, and Mrs. Elizabeth Donn, whose husband is a farmer in Allen township.
Carl Herman was born in Germany in 1832, and learned the carpenter trade, following this trade until he left his native land in 1872. He brought his family to Cleveland, Ohio, upon landing in America, and followed his trade as a carpenter in that city until 1879. In that year he removed to Harrison county, Iowa, and worked in different towns in the county as a carpenter and contractor. He bought land in Magnolia township, but never engaged in farming. In 1889 he retired and lived on the farm with his children until his death in 1902. He was an active worker, and although he never learned to speak the English language, it never interfered in any way with his success in this country. Hie wife, who was born in Germany in 1834, is now living on the old home place with her son, John.
William Herman was twelve years of age when his parents came to America. He attended school in Cleveland, Ohio, where he learned to speak and write the English language. Upon coming to Harrison county, in 1879, with his parents, he began his farming career on a farm owned by his father. He continued his work on the home farm for seven years, after which time he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land in Magnolia township, where he now lives. The land was prairie when he purchased it and cost him only nineteen dollars an acre. On this farm he has placed at least six thousand dollars' worth of improvements, including two acres of fruit trees. He keeps high-class live stock and derives no small part of his annual income from the sale of stock. In 1913 he made an exhibit of his corn at the short-course exhibition. In addition to his farming interests he is vice-president and a stockholder and director in the Magnolia Bank, and is also a stockholder and director of the Farmers' Mercantile Company, of Logan. He has a share of stock in the creamery at Magnolia and is a director in the Magnolia Creamery Company.
Mr. Herman was married in 1897 to Ida MICHAEL, who was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1867, a daughter of Fred and Marie (BANLOW) Michael, and to this union have been born seven children, all of whom are still living with their parents, Edith, Herbert, Erma, Elmer, Marie, Ella and Charlotte.
Mrs. Herman's father was born in Germany in 1842, and when about twenty-two years of age came to America and located in Cleveland, Ohio. He worked there as a laborer for about six years and then went west and located in Harrison county, Iowa, where he farmed. He built a log house on the eighty acres of land which he bought, and followed farming until 1900. In that year he moved to California and three years later located in Omaha, Nebraska, where his death occurred in 1906. Mrs. Herman's mother was born in Germany in 1841, and is now living in Magnolia, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Michael were the parents of four children, Herman, deceased; Ida, the wife of Mr. Herman; Frank, a farmer of Minnesota, and Mrs. Elizabeth Sahn, of Missouri Valley, Iowa.
Mr. Herman and his family are all earnest members of the German Lutheran church; he is a trustee in his denomination and an active worker in all church affairs. He gives his allegiance to the Republican party, but has never cared to be an aspirant for public office, but was elected township trustee in the fall of 1914. Mr. Herman is a highly respected citizen of the community where he lives because of the clean and wholesome life he has led.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 838, 839, 840 Family Researcher: NA
Edward C. HERMANN -
One of the younger farmers of Harrison county, Iowa, is Edward C. Hermann, who has lived his whole life thus far in this county. He has been farming but a few years for himself, but has already demonstrated that he has the ability and energy which will insure ultimate success along agricultural lines. His own, as well as his wife's parents, were born in Germany, and both of them have inherited those sturdy traits of character which have made the German-American farmers of this county such welcome additions to its population.
Edward C. Hermann, the son of August and Sophia (NELK) Hermann, was born February 2, 1887, in Allen township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents reared a family of eight children, seven of whom are living, Mrs. Anna Steffen, of Magnolia township; Fred, a farmer of Magnolia township; Lena, deceased; Edward C., the immediate subject of this review; Mrs. Emma Mensching, of Magnolia township; Mrs. Effie Mensching, of Magnolia township; Mrs. Frederica Plath, and Ernest, who is still at home with his parents.
August Hermann was born in Germany in 1857, and came to America and located in Ohio about 1873 with his parents. He came to Harrison county, Iowa, about 1880, and after renting land for a time, bought a farm in Allen and Magnolia townships, and as he prospered he added to his holdings and now owns two hundred and forty acres of well-improved land. He has served as township trustee, taking an active part in the life of his community. His wife was also born in Germany, in 1862.
Edward C. Hermann received all of his education in the schools of his home neighborhood. He remained on the farm until his marriage at the age of twenty-one and then started out by renting a farm from his father. With true German frugality he and his wife saved their money and were soon able to buy one hundred and twenty acres of land in Magnolia township. The farm has ten acres of natural timber and produces very satisfactory crops of such grains as are grown in this section of the state. Mr. Hermann keeps a high grade of cattle, hogs and horses and derives no small part of his annual income from the sale of live stock.
Mr. Hermann was married to Margaret DIERKS in 1908, who was born in Magnolia township in 1889, and is the daughter of Henry and Mattie (KUCKS) Dierks. Her parents were born natives of Germany and were among the early settlers of this township. Mr. Herman and his wife have one son, Henry.
The German Lutheran church receives the hearty support of Mr. Hermann and his wife. He gives his support to the Republican party, but has never cared to become an aspirant for public office, preferring to devote all of his attention to his agricultural interests. Mr. Hermann is a young man and at the threshhold of life, and considering the start which he has made thus early in life, it is fair to presume that he will one day be among the substantial farmers of his county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 834, 835 Family Researcher: NA
William V. HILBORN -
The student of Harrison county does not have to carry his investigation far into its annals, before learning that William V. Hilborn has long been one of its most active and leading citizens in agricultural and stock raising interests and that his labors have been a potent force in making this an agricultural region. Through several decades he has carried on general farming, gradually improving his valuable place. While he has prospered in this, he has also found time and opportunity to assist in the material and civic development of the county.
William V. Hilborn was born on November 19, 1861, in Johnson county, Iowa, the son of Isaac and Mary (VAN NORDSTRAND) Hilborn. The former was born about 1831, in Ohio, and was reared in that state on a farm. When a young man he came to Johnson county, Iowa, and bought land. He farmed there until 1879, when he sold out and came to Shelby, Iowa, where he owned property. He remained at Shelby until his death, in 1899. Mary Van Nordstrand, the mother of William V. Hilborn, was born in 1833, in Ohio, and died in Shelby, Iowa, August 31, 1909. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They were the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are still living.
William V. Hilborn remained on the farm with his father until he had reached his majority and then started to farm for himself. He rented land in Shelby county, Iowa, until 1901, and then came to Harrison county, Iowa, and bought one hundred and sixty acres in Washington township. Mr. Hilborn has placed about five thousand dollar's worth of improvements upon this land. He has two acres of orchard and a magnificent grove. Mr. Hilborn breeds a good grade of live stock, including horses, cattle and hogs. He now owns two hundred and forty acres of land in Harrison county and is a stockholder in the Persia Savings Bank.
William V. Hilborn was married on January 3, 1888, to Elizabeth H. SNYDER, who was born on January 28, 1868, in Johnson county, Iowa, the daughter of Adam and Arabella (BEASORE) Snyder, both natives of Pennsylvania. They came to Johnson county, Iowa, in an early day and remained there until 1874; they then moved to Shelby county, Iowa, where they became farmers. Adam Snyder was surveyor of Shelby county at one time. He and his wife came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1880, where they owned land. They farmed for a few years and then retired, moving to Persia, Iowa, where they both died. The father was born in 1830, in Pennsylvania, and died in 1895. The mother was born in 1828, in the same state, and died in 1902. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Snyder and five of them are now living.
To Mr. and Mrs. William V. Hilborn three children have been born, all of whom are at home: Lester, born on January 16, 1889; Earl, born on April 15, 1894; and Dean, born on April 12, 1896.
Mr. Hilborn is a Democrat. He was elected township trustee in 1906, and has held this office, continuously, since that time. His long tenure of this office, perhaps, is a better evidence than anything else of the esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens and especially by his neighbors. Although the Hilborns are not members of any church, they attend church regularly. Mr. Hilborn is a representative farmer and a valuable citizen in the community where he lives and enjoys the confidence of the people of Washington township.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 892, 893 Family Researcher: NA
John W. HILLMAN -
Many of the best families of Harrison county, Iowa are residents of Clay township. Among these John W. Hillman, who has lived in this county since 1856, has been a witness of the growth of the county from its earliest beginning down to the present time. He how has a fine farm in Clay township, which he has acquired as the result of his own individual efforts, and here he raises fine live stock of various kinds. He is also found of wild animals, and intends to stock his farm with buffalo and black-tailed deer.
John W. Hillman, the son of Benjamin A. and Martha M. (ESSLEY) Hillman, was born on February 1, 1849, in Madison county, Iowa, near Wintersett. His parents were both natives of Ohio and of English and German descent, respectively. Shortly after John W. Hillman was born, the family moved to Illinois, where his father died in 1855. In 1854 his mother located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, at a time when there was only one store and a hotel in the place. Later the mother moved to Magnolia, in Harrison county, to make her home with her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Essley. However, John W. remained in Council Bluffs, or Kanesville, as it was then called, with one of his uncles for two years, after which he came to Harrison county and has since made this his home. As he was only nine years of age when he came to this county, he received the greater portion of his education in the local subscription schools of that early period, which were held only two or three months each year. A few years after coming to this county his mother remarried and Mr. Hillman then made his home with his mother and stepfather until he was thirteen years old. He then left home to make his own way in the world. He worked out on farms in the immediate vicinity, although he also did logging and split railway ties for the Union Pacific Railway Company. He also broke a great deal of prairie land, using four and five yoke of oxen at a time. During his younger years every one drove oxen, even to the wagons when they went to church.
In 1871, the year after his marriage, Mr. Hillman rented seventy acres of land northeast of Logan, but after living on this for four years he bought eighty acres of land seven miles northeast of Logan, and on this farm he lived for nineteen years, but in the meantime had bought two hundred and forty acres in sections 21 and 22 in Clay township. It was heavily timbered land and he had to clear a place in order to build his house. He built a large seven-room house, a good barn, granaries, cribs, etc., and gradually cleared and brought his farm under cultivation. In 1894 he sold his farm near Logan and moved to his farm in Clay township, where he has since lived. He carries on general farming and stock raising and makes a specialty of Shorthorn cattle, Poland-China hogs and full-blooded Plymouth Rock chickens. At one time he was very much interested in the raising of thoroughbred running horses and made a success of this line of business, but later retired from this line of activity.
On his farm he left about fifteen acres of heavily timbered land, around which he now has a high wire fence, and in this he has the only herd of native deer to be found in the county, and, as has been before stated, he intends to stock this preserve with buffalo and wild game of all kinds.
Mr. Hillman was married on July 17, 1870, to Mary M. KIRK, who was born on January 4, 1851, in Jefferson township, Harrison county, a daughter of Jacob and Amelia (SMOTHERS) Kirk, natives of Tennessee and Ohio, respectively. To this union have been born six children: Clara, Fred, Jacob A., Geneva, Jesse and Hugh. All of the children are now married and rearing families of their own, with the exception of Hugh, who is teaching school and still makes his home with his parents. Clara is the wife of Sherman Lockling, a farmer of Taylor township, and has three children Edith, William and Blanche. Fred, who lives in Oklahoma, married Martha Dickinson, and has three children, Florence, Clarence and Mary. Jacob, who lives in Modale, married Hattie Thomas, and has five children, Mary N., Earl, Kattie, Vera and Beryl. Geneva is the wife of John Beeman, a farmer living near Mondamin, and has five children, Orval, Beulah, Thelma, Kenneth and Cecil. Jesse married Mattie Logan, and lives near Modale. He has three children, Opal, Vesta and Helen.
Mr. Hillman is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is independent in politics and votes for the best man without regard to the party to which he belongs. During his long residence in this county, Mr. Hillman has so conducted himself and his affairs as to merit the high esteem in which he is held by all who know him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 778, 779, 780 Family Researcher: NA
Orlando John HOOKS -
Orlando J. Hooks was born on January 1, 1862, in Jasper county, Indiana, the son of John W. and Permelia N. (LEWIS) Hooks, natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively, and early settlers in Indiana. The father took part in the Civil War, serving in Company D, Sixty-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
In 1867 the family moved from Indiana to Saline county, Missouri, where they lived until 1870, when they came to Iowa, locating in Woodbine, where they lived until 1874. In that year they bought eighty acres of land in section 30, Douglas township, and here Mr. Hooks, Sr., made his home until his death, on December 8, 1891; his widow survives him. Orlando J. Hooks was one of three children born to his parents, and has always lived on the home farm.
Mr. Hooks was married on April 8, 1890, to Nellie V. PASLEY, the daughter of Morgan and Elosia (SMITH) Pasley, natives of Kentucky and Ohio, respectively. Mrs. Hooks was born April 14, 1869, in Chelsea, Tama county, Iowa, where her parents were early settlers. They came to Harrison county in 1882, locating in Douglas township. Mr. and Mrs. Hooks are the parents of two children: Harry C., born September 2, 1892, lives with his grandmother, Mrs. Permelia Hooks, in Woodbine. Mabel E. was born June 19, 1903, and is living at home with her parents.
Politically, Mr. Hooks is an adherent of the Democratic party, and has held all of the township offices with the exception of township trustee and justice of the peace. He was township assessor for six years, and township clerk for two terms. He is constable of Douglas township at the present time.
Mr. Hooks does general farming and stock raising, and owns forty acres of the old home place. Fraternally, Mr. Hooks is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Encampment, as well as the Modern Woodmen of America. He and his wife are members of the Daughters of Rebekah. Their son, Harry, is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Daughters of Rebekah.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 949, 950 Family Researcher: NA
Giles T. HOPKINS -
The Northwestern Railway Company shops at Missouri Valley, Iowa, employ a large number of men, and among the several foremen employed in the shops is G. T. Hopkins, who has been foreman of the blacksmith department since 1882. Born and reared in Pennsylvania, he lived in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Canada before finally locating in Missouri Valley in 1880. He has been in continuous service in the railroad shops here for the past thirty-five years.
G. T. Hopkins, a son of Scotch parentage, was born in Brookville, Jefferson county, Pennsylvania, June 17, 1857. He received his education in the schools of his home town in Pennsylvania and before reaching his majority started to learn the blacksmith trade. When he was twenty years of age he left home and found work in Ohio in a blacksmith shop. From Ohio he went to Michigan, and still later to Wisconsin, following his trade in both states. Before finally coming to Missouri Valley, he was working for a lumber company in Canada. He arrived in this city December 24, 1879, and on January 8, 1880, he began to work for the Northwestern Railway Company in their shops in this city. His ability as a blacksmith was soon recognized and on July 1, 1882, he was made foreman of the blacksmith department, a position which he has since held. He now has twenty-seven men under his charge in the shops.
Mr. Hopkins was married on October 12, 1887, to Hattie J. HEFFORD, of Harrison county. Her mother is now living in Logan. To this union one daughter has been born, Ruby, who graduated from Ames College in 1913, and was married, in 1914, to Rex E. Edgecomb, a professor of civil engineering in the Oregon State College, of Corvallis, Oregon, where they make their home.
Mr. Hopkins is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the chapter and council at Missouri Valley and the commandery at Council Bluffs. He also holds his membership in the Knights of Pythias. In politics he has always given his unswerving support to the Republican party, but has never held any position other than that of school board director. He served on the board of education of Missouri Valley for three years. Mr. Hopkins is a man of good business ability and has investments which yield him a very satisfactory return each year. He owns a well improved farm of one hundred acres about a mile and a quarter from Missouri Valley. He has given his whole career to mechanical work. He was a partner of D. J. Adlum in the boot and shoe business for eight years in Missouri Valley, but continued his position as foreman of the railway shops during that time. Mr. Hopkins is a man of genial manner and kindly disposition, and has a host of friends in the city where he has made his home so many years.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 818, 819 Family Researcher: NA
A. B. HOSBROOK -
One of the oldest citizens of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is A. B. Hosbrook, who has been a resident of the city since 1867. Born and reared in Indiana, in the city of Indianapolis, he came to Missouri Valley, Iowa, and taught school for many years in Harrison county. Later he became interested in farming and has been particularly active in the agricultural life of the county. As a member of the board of supervisors he has been instrumental in the building of many drainage canals throughout the county and thus enabled the farmers to get better results from their efforts. In fact, there has been no measure promoted for the general welfare of the county which has not found a ready and enthusiastic supporter in Mr. Hosbrook. He is now past the age of three score and ten, but is still active and enjoying good health.
A. B. Hosbrook, the son of Harvey and Miriam (ROBESON) Hosbrook, was born
in Indianapolis, Indiana, May 2, 1844. His father was a native of Hamilton county, Ohio, and his mother of Kentucky. Harvey Hosbrook was a farmer and contractor and lived near Indianapolis on a farm until late in life, when he removed to Indianapolis and died at the age of eighty-six. His wife died when A. B. Hosbrook was only four years of age.
The early training of Mr. Hosbrook was received on his father's farm near Indianapolis, Indiana. His elementary education was received in the district schools and he later attended Butler University in Indianapolis, where he prepared himself for the teaching profession. He taught for awhile in Indiana, and in 1867 removed to Missouri Valley, Iowa, where he taught school for fifteen years. He saved his money and invested it in land and with a judgment which has shown that he knew how to select the best land. He farmed for many years before retiring from active pursuits and locating in Missouri Valley.
Mr. Hosbrook has served on the city council of Missouri Valley for ten years and for the past twenty years has been secretary of the Harrison County Agricultural Society. The success of this organization is largely due to the efforts of Mr. Hosbrook, who has always been greatly interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of the farmers of the county. For five years, 1905 to 1910, he was a member of the board of supervisors, during which period the numerous drainage canals of the county were constructed. It was during his term of office the present new court house was built, and he bore no inconsiderable part in its successful completion. In 1914 Mr. Hosbrook was elected as a member of the board of supervisors for a second term, a position for which he is particularly well qualified.
Mr. Hosbrook was twice married. He was first married to Mary Elizabeth MOORE, of Harrison county, Iowa, who died a year later, leaving one son, George Harvey, of Missouri Valley. Mr. Hosbrook was married the second time in 1880 to Sallie MURPHY, of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and the one child born to this union is deceased. Mrs. Hosbrook is an accomplished writer and frequently contributes to the local press. She was formerly a teacher in the county and also taught in the eastern part of the state, as well as in Pennsylvania before coming west. She is a woman who interests herself in all worthy causes and is always ready to help others less fortunate.
Mr. and Mrs. Hosbrook have long been active workers in the Presbyterian church. He was secretary of a Presbyterian Sunday school for more than thirty-four years, and his wife has been a teacher in the Sunday schools here for nearly the same length of time. Mr. Hosbrook and his wife are both deeply interested in local reform and in everything which will make the community wherein they reside a better one in which to live.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 855, 856 Family Researcher: NA