1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Twenty Seven
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Michael O'CONNOR -
A sterling citizen of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is Michael O'Connor, who has been the general foreman of the boiler-making department of the Northwestern Railway shops in Missouri Valley since 1888. Starting in to become an expert boiler maker when a mere youth, he supplemented his practical training by a college course in mechanical engineering and is regarded by the company which employs him as one of its most valuable men. He is not only an expert boiler man, but has patented various inventions which have been widely used. He is active in the civic, political and religious life of his city and is regarded by all who know him as a man well worthy of the high esteem in which he is universally held.
Michael O'Connor, the son of Thomas and Catherine (SHANAHAN) O'Connor, was born at Hampton, New Jersey, October 2, 1854. His parents were both born in Ireland, but were not married until after they came to America. His father was a blacksmith by trade, a soldier in both the Mexican War and the Civil War. He received wounds in the MexicanWar which ultimately caused his death in 1871. In 1868 Thomas O'Connor and his family came west and located temporarily in Omaha, and permanently at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, the headquarters at that time of the Burlington railroad. In this latter city Thomas O'Connor died in 1871, his widow surviving him for more than ten years, her death not occurring until 1882. Four children were born to Thomas O'Connor and wife, three of whom are living, Cornelius, Thomas and Michael. Cornelius and Thomas are both engaged in business at Lincoln, Nebraska.
Michael O'Connor was about fourteen years of age when his parents came west and consequently he received most of his elementary education in his native state. Before reaching his majority he had served his apprenticeship as a boiler maker in the shops at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, and later, appreciating the value of a college training, went to Quincy, Illinois, where he took the regular college course in St. Francis College, as well as a course in mechanical engineering. Upon his return to Plattsmouth, Nebraska, he was made assistant foreman, and in 1888 he was selected by the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company as general foreman of the boiler-making shops in Missouri Valley and lines west of Missouri river, and he has been serving in this capacity continuously now for twenty-seven years. He has charge of all the engine boilers which are used on seventeen hundred miles of road in Nebraska, Wyoming and Dakota, a position which carries immense responsibility with it. Mr. O'Connor has patented the O'Connor locomotive fire-door flange, an extension used on practically all railroads over the country when once adopted by them.
Mr. O'Connor was married February 2, 1885, at Missouri Valley, Iowa, to Agnes O'CONNOR, the daughter of Patrick O'Connor, of that city, and to this union two children have been born, Arthur J., and Bessie Katherine, who are living with their parents.
Mr. O'Connor is a director of the State Savings Bank, of Missouri Valley, and also a director in the City Ice and Cold Storage Company. He has a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Harrison county, and one of similar acreage in Holt county, Nebraska. He is past president of the International Boilermakers' Association, an honor which came to him without solicitation, and shows the high esteem in which he is held by the boilermakers throughout the country. The family are all members of the Catholic church, and Mr. O'Connor is a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is independent in politics and votes for men rather than for platforms. He has served on the city council six years and is an active and enthusiastic member of the Commercial Club.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 632, 633 Family Researcher: NA
Bruce A. ORR -
Specific mention is made of many of the worthy citizens of Harrison county within the pages of this book who have figured in the growth and development of this favored locality and whose interests are identified with its every phase of progress, each contributing in his sphere of activity to the well-being of the community in which he resides and to the advancement of its normal and legitimate growth. Among this number is Bruce A. Orr, one of the leading farmers of La Grange township.
Bruce A. Orr was born on October 29, 1881, in La Grange township and is the son of John A. and Ellen (CROSSLEY) Orr. John A Orr was born in Ohio, July 25, 1851, and died on October 15, 1882. He was brought to Iowa early in life and reared on a farm in La Grange township, where he became a very extensive farmer and stockman and well known throughout the state of Iowa as a breeder of Duroc-Jersey hogs and Durham cattle. He was one of the first to exhibit Duroc-Jersey hogs at the Harrison county fairs. At first the farmers made a great deal of sport of the red animals but, eventually, the breed became very popular in this county. Mr. Orr served as clerk and assessor of La Grange township and, at the time of his death, owned two hundred acres of land. His wife, Ellen Crossley, was born on June 26, 1849, in Lincolnshire, England, the daughter of William and Susan (HAND) Crossley, the former of whom was born on December 2, 1807, in England, and the latter in 1810 in Lincolnshire, England. She died in 1862 and her husband in 1882. Ellen Crossley was reared under the parental roof and secured her education in the public schools of Council Bluffs, where she taught after her graduation. She was married to John A. Orr in 1876 and to them were born three children, William L., in 1878, now living in La Grange township and managing the home farm; Fannie, who died at the age of nine years, and Bruce A., the subject of this review.
Bruce A. Orr received his education in the common schools and has devoted his entire life to farming. He now controls and operates two hundred and forty-five acres of splendid land in La Grange township.
Bruce A. Orr was married in 1913 to Eva Mae POORE, who was born in Logan, Iowa, on June 23, 1894, the daughter of James D. and May (MCINTYRE) Poore. Her father, a native of Indiana, was born on May 12, 1865, and her mother on December 22, 1873, the latter of whom is now living at Harris Grove, La Grange township. They were the parents of the following children Edward James, Rupert Harry, Eva Mae, Golda Pearle, Raymond Charles and Carrie Louise. No children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Orr. Mr. Orr is a man of sound and practical intelligence, keenly alert to everything relating to his interest and, in fact, to all that concerns the prosperity and advancement of the community. Because of his splendid personal characteristics and his genuine worth, he enjoys the confidence and esteem of all who know him and is eminently entitled to representation in a work of the character of the one in hand.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 962, 963 Family Researcher: NA
Rev. Jeremiah O'SULLIVAN -
One of the notable facts in the lives of the clergy of the Catholic churches is their keen interest in public affairs. Father Jeremiah O'Sullivan is no exception to this rule. He takes an active interest in public affairs generally, and while one of the youngest, at the same time is one of the most popular churchmen in Harrison county.
Father Jeremiah O'Sullivan, son of Patrick and Julia O'Sullivan, was born December 13, 1879, near Killarney, Ireland. The family ranks among the oldest in Munster, being direct lineal descendants of the O'Sullivan Beara and McCarty Mor. Jeremiah O'Sullivan was educated at St. Brendan;s Seminary, Killarney, and St. Patrick's College, Carlow, and was ordained priest In June, 1904. He went to England in September of that year and commenced missionary work as assistant pastor at St. Bernard's, Halifax, and a year later was transferred to St. Mary's, Bradford, where he continued work three and one-half years, then went to St. Joseph's, Pontefract, Wales. He traveled through the principal centers of interest in western Europe in 1906 and 1909.
In April, 1911, Father O'Sullivan arrived in the United States and resumed his ecclesiastical work in the diocese of Davenport, under Bishop Davis, and was appointed chaplain pro tem. to St. Joseph's Academy at Des Moines. Four months later he received the appointment to the pastorate of the Sacred Heart parish, Woodbine (which then included the outlying missions, Logan, Magnolia, Mondamin, Modale, Pisgah and Little Sioux.)
During his residence in England Father O'Sullivan was favorably impressed with English social life, customs, and characters; had considerable missionary experience and received about one hundred converts to the Catholic faith.
In the British general election of 1910 the Irish Home Rule bill was the question par excellence of the day. At this election, Colonel Shaw (advocate of the Conservative party) contested with Handel Booth (Liberal) the parliamentary seat for the borough of Pontefract. About eleven thousand votes were cast in behalf of these candidates. On the advice of Father O'Sullican, acting in accord with Mr. Redmond's mandate, the Irish vote was pledged in behalf of Mr. Booth, who carried the day by a majority of three hundred and forty votes. This was an important contest for the Liberal party, which was returned to power with a majority of only three members over the Unionist opposition. However, the Irish Nationalist party of eighty-five and the labor party with forty-two adherents, gave their support to the Liberals, thus securing to them a long lease of office, and at the same time placing the long-fought-for Home Rule Act on the statute book.
Grave consequences threatened the Irish voters of the borough, as no less than two hundred of the men were in Colonel Shaw's employment; however, the threatened danger passed over without mishap. Herein was an excellent example of the exiled Irish workman's love and self-sacrifice for his country's freedom.
Years of experience have furnished Father O'Sullivan ample proofs that the great majority of members in political parties, religious denominations, lodges and clubs are permeated by noble Christian and patriotic principles; and that where the weeks of prejudice and uncharitableness prevail the seeds were carefully planted by some crafty and mercenary politician, pulpit or platform lecturer or vile journal plying their trade on the want of knowledge and simplicity of a certain class, who may be otherwise excellent citizens. Hence in political issues he is not committed to party lines, his principle being �support the candidate who will honestly and without sectarian and party prejudice best serve the interest of the community.�
The first few months of Father O'Sullivan's visit to America was a period of unrest, he being undecided whether he should return to England immediately, or remain a year in the states. That question is now decided, and there is little doubt that he will spend the rest of his life under the Stars and Stripes.
Though Father O'Sullivan has been in this county but a short time he has indeed won a place as a representative citizen in the county and has acquired a wide acquaintance. He is pre-eminently a learned priest, and has an extremely promising future. He is popular with all people of the community in which the field of his labors is laid, regardless of politics or religious faith.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 532, 533, 534 Family Researcher: NA
Fred C. OVIATT and Horatio S. OVIATT -
Fred C. Oviatt is recognized as one of the energetic business men and farmers of Harrison county, Iowa, who by his enterprise and progressive methods, has contributed in a material way to the commercial advancement of the county where he lives. In the course of an honorable career, he has been successful in many lines of endeavor and today enjoys a distinctive prestige among the representative men of his county. It is eminently proper that fitting attention should be paid to his achievements and due credit be accorded to his work as an enterprising citizen of this great county.
Fred C. Oviatt was born July 25, 1859, in Magnolia, Harrison county, Iowa, the son of Horatio S. and Lucy J. (BENEDICT) Oviatt, the former a native of Franklin county, Vermont and the latter a native of Pennsylvania.
Horation S. Oviatt was married March 22, 1855, at Enosburg, Vermont, and two years later, in 1857, came west to Harrison county, Iowa, and remained here until the death of his wife, February 4, 1902, when he moved toOklahoma, where he lived with a daughter for some time, in fact, until his second marriage to Mrs. Skee. After this marriage, he remained in Oklahoma until his death, November 17, 1911. He was a contractor and mason and followed these two vocations practically all of his life. In early years he did some contracting and erected some of the first buildings in Logan, Iowa. He was the father of eight children, Herbert H., Fred C., Marshall E., who died at the age of twenty-seven; Ella, deceased; John Edwin, Edith V., Ida D. and Mary Addie May.
Fred C. Oviatt was educated in the common schools of Harrison county and took up farming, which he followed until he was thirty-five years old. He then began buying and selling live stock and followed this business in Woodbine for two and a half years, at the end of which time he turned his attention to the real estate business. He was alone for four and one-half years in this business, but subsequently took a partner, A. J. Coe. This partnership continued for eleven and one-half years, at the end of which time Mr. Oviatt retired to look after his personal interests. Fred C. Oviatt is a large landowner in Harrison county, owning two farms, one of one hundred and seventy-seven and another of one hundred and forty-eight acres in Douglass township, and another of one hundred and sixty acres in Boyer township. These three farms are close to Woodbine and all are on the Lincoln highway. Besides other farm properties he owns several small tracts in and near Woodbine and considerable city property.
Mr. Oviatt was married September 28, 1886, to Hattie E. BLACKMAN, the daughter of George J. and Harriett (STALEY) Blackman, the former a native of Canada and the latter of New York State. Mr. and Mrs. Blackman were married in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and in 1850, they came to Harrison county, one year later settling in Magnolia, where they remained for forty-five years on the same farm. At the end of this period, Mr. and Mrs. Blackman retired to Woodbine, where he died February 19, 1901, and she on October 10, 1910. To them were born nine children, Stephen M., Charles W., Helena, John H. (deceased), Juliet I., George A., Hattie E., Harry C. and Laura B.
To Fred C. and Hattie E. (Blackman) Oviatt, one son, Frederick H., was born September 28, 1901.
Politically, Mr. Oviatt is identified with the Prohibition party. He has served as a school director and as assessor of Allen township. Mr. and Mrs. Oviatt are members of the church of the Latter Day Saints, in which Mr. Oviatt is a prominent teacher and active worker.
Few men in Harrison county have made a greater success out of farming, real estate and stock raising than Mr. Oviatt. He is a man who enjoys the esteem of the people of Harrison county and is one of the most widely acquainted residents of this county. Mr. Oviatt has always been frank, upright and honest in his business dealings, to which must be attributed no small part of his splendid success in life.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 680, 681 Family Researcher: NA
Jesse J. OWEN -
This is distinctly the age of electricity, and if there is any one occupation where technical skill is required it is in the electrical trade. Courses in electrical engineering are given by technical schools all over the country, and a graduate from a reputable college has no difficulty in securing a position. In fact, there is a larger demand for skilled electricians than can be filled. A college-trained man and a practical electrician of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is Jesse J. Owen, a graduate of the engineering course of the University of Nebraska and a resident of Missouri Valley since 1910.
Jesse J. Owen, the son of F. C. and Sarah (MITCHELL) Owen, was born in Sanders county, Nebraska, October 14, 1884. His father was born in Ohio, and is now a prosperous farmer of Memphis, Nebraska. Six children were born to F. C. Owen and wife, four of whom are still living.
Jesse J. Owen received his elementary education in the schools of Memphis, Nebraska, and was graduated from the high school of Ashland, in the same state. He then became a student at the University of Nebraska and was graduated in the electrical engineering course in the spring of 1908. He at once took up electrical engineering work with the Lincoln Electric Light and Gas Company, at Lincoln, Nebraska, and remained with that corporation for about one year. He then became assistant engineer of the city of Wahoo, Nebraska, and retained this position for eight months. His next employment was at Omaha, where he was city foreman of the Johnson Electric Company. In March, 1910, Mr. Owen went to Missouri Valley and engaged in the electrical business as a member of the firm of Owen & Schmid, a partnership which existed for two years. Mr. Owen then bought out his partner's interest and has since been engaged in the business alone. He handles all kinds of electrical fixtures and supplies and does electrical contracting and installation throughout Nebraska and Iowa. For the past year he has been acting for the city of Missouri Valley as city electrician and filling the position in a most satisfactory manner
Mr. Owen was married in June, 1908, to Blanche WATKINS, of Lincoln, Nebraska, a daughter of Joseph Watkins, a citizen of Neola, Iowa.
Mr. Owen is a member of the Knights of Pythias and a member of the Iowa Electrical Contractors' Association. He is interested in the civic life of the city and is an active and enthusiastic member of the Commercial Club. Politically, he is a Democrat, but so far has not taken an active part in the councils of his party. Mr. Owen is a young man of recognized ability in his chosen profession, and the success which has attended his efforts thus far indicates that he has a long and prosperous career before him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 766, 767 Family Researcher: NA
George L. GAMET -
The Gamet family have been residents of Harrison county, Iowa, for more than sixty years, and during all of this period has been active in furthering the general welfare of the county in every way. George L. Gamet was born in this county and has spent most of his life here. Although he is now engaged in general farming and stock raising, he was for many years interested in mercantile pursuits in various places. He is a man of great energy and industry and has made a success of every enterprise to which he has addressed himself.
George L. Gamet, the son of David and Nancy (HUTCHISON) Gamet, was born November 20, 1876, in Morgan township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents were natives of Oswego county, New York, and Ohio, respectively. His father was s son of David M. and Hannah (Hyde) Gamet, natives of New York, and his mother was a daughter of James and Martha Hutchison, natives of Ohio.
When David Gamet, Jr., was a small boy his parents moved to Hancock county, Illinois, and in 1846 moved on west and located at Kanesville, the present city of Council Bluffs, in Pottawattamie county, Iowa. In 1853 the family located in Harrison county and bought a farm near Magnolia. David M. Gamet, Sr., was the second recorder and treasurer of Harrison county, being elected to this joint office in 1854. After serving his time in this capacity he moved to Little Sioux, where early in the summer of 1856 he established his first store. He had a stage station, a hotel and a small stock of goods and became the first merchant in this section of the county. David M. Gamet examined the first teacher, A. T. Crane, who taught in Little Sioux township. The examination was a very simple one. He gave the prospective teacher a problem in common fractions and after he had satisfied his examiner that he would solve it, he was next asked to furnish a sample of his handwriting. This proving satisfactory, he was granted a license to teach by Mr. Gamet and thus became the first teacher in Little Sioux township.
In 1856 David Gamet, Jr., homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in Morgan township and later added one hundred and sixty acres more by purchase. At one time he owned eight hundred and five acres of land in Harrison county, and was for many years one of the most extensive stock raisers in the county. Ten children were born to David and Nancy Gamet; George L. being the youngest of the family. In 1882 David Gamet engaged in the mercantile business, and in 1887 built the two-story brick building in Mondamin which is now occupied by J. W. Mann. In April, 1900, Mr. Gamet sold out to H. P. Morrow. During the years in which he was engaged in business he had the following partners, D. W. Gahagan, Edward F. Ogden, and for a time one of his sons.
George L. Gamet received all of his education in the schools of Morgan township, excepting a year at Lincoln, Nebraska, University, and early in life began to assist his father in the store at Mondamin. He remained at home until both his parents died. In 1903 George L. Gamet traded a farm for a stock of merchandise in Cherokee, Iowa, but was in business in that place only one year. In 1906 he bought a hardware stock at Washington, Iowa, but closed out this store eleven days later, trading it for a two-hundred-acre farm in what was then the overflow of the Soldier river in Harrison county. This farm is now one of the finest in the county, and with the completion of the drainage system, it makes some of the most productive land to be found in the state. In 1908 Mr. Gamet, in partnership with Robert B. Noyes, bought a small stock of merchandise from Lester Clinkenbeard, which firm continued in business until 1910. In that year Mr. Gamet bought out the interest of his partner and moved into his own building, the same now occupied by J. W. Mann. He continued in active business in Mondamin until 1912, when he sold out to J. W. Mann, and two years later moved to the farm where he is now living. He makes a specialty of full-blooded registered Chester White hogs and Polled-Durham cattle, and has been very successful in handling live stock. He is also an extensive raiser of wheat and corn, but feeds most of his grain to his live stock.
Mr. Gamet was married May 2, 1906, to Anna MORROW, who was born November 19, 1880, in Harrison county, and is a daughter of Hugh P. and Rose Ann (FERGUSON) Morrow, natives of Toronto, Canada, and New York, respectively. Hugh Morrow was the son of Patrick Morrow and came to Harrison county in 1856, driving all the way from Toronto, Canada. The stage used to make the home of Patrick Morrow a stopping place for the night on its trip from Council Bluffs to Sioux City. Mr. and Mrs. Gamet have an adopted son, Joseph Aloysius, who was born September 23, 1913.
Mr. Gamet is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Gamet is a member of the Royal Neighbors. Mr. Gamet gives his hearty support to the Democratic party, as did his father. While living in Mondamin, he was on the town council for several years. Mrs. Gamet is a member of the Catholic church.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 875, 876, 877 Family Researcher: NA
John P. GARNER -
One of the earliest pioneer families of Harrison county is the Garner family, who have been connected with its history since 1861. John P. Garner was less than two years of age when his parents located in Harrison county and here he has made his home since that time. He has been an active participant in its affairs for more than half a century and has seen it emerge from a pioneer condition to its present state of prosperity. He has seen the swamps give way to well-cultivated fields, the villages grow to flourishing cities, the trails across the prairie into well-graded highways, and in all of this transformation he has borne his share.
John P. Garner, the son of Henry and Anna M. (MAHONEY) Garner, was born November 11, 1859, in Pottawattamie county, Iowa. His father was born July 13, 1837, in North Carolina, and was the son of David and Jane Garner.
When Henry Garner was seven years of age the family moved from North Carolina to Adams county, Illinois, and lived in that state until 1846. In that year they came on west to Kanesville, Iowa, now Council Bluffs, where they squatted on a piece of ground until the government put it on the market. At that time the family pre-empted it and secured undisputed possession of the land. In March, 1861, Henry Garner came to Harrison county, Iowa, and bought two hundred acres in Raglan township. He lived in a log cabin fourteen by sixteen feet until 1865, when he built a handsome brick house, making and burning the brick for it himself. Anna M. Mahoney, the wife of Henry Garner, was born April 16, 1833, in Maryland, a daughter of Stephen and Margaret Mahoney. The history of the Mahoney family is given elsewhere in this volume.
John P. Garner was the seventh of fourteen children born to his parents. He received a good common-school education in the schools of Raglan township and has made his home in this township since the spring of 1861. He remained at home until he was twenty-five years of age and then married and went to farming for himself, renting land for a few years before buying his present farm. He saw the first train run on the Chicago & Northwestern railroad from Sioux City to Omaha. He has seen thousands of acres reclaimed from its swampy condition and much of his own farm has been greatly improved by the extensive system of drainage which has been put into operation in the western part of the county. Mr. Garner also put out the orchard on his farm when he was a small boy. This orchard consists of about four hundred trees and is one of the best fruit bearers in the county. This orchard is responsible for a part of the name which Mr. Garner gives to his farm, which is known as the �Western View Stock and Fruit Farm.� In addition to his general farming and fruit raising Mr. Garner is an extensive breeder of full-blooded Duroc-Jersey hogs.
Mr. Garner was married April 17, 1887, to Hattie GAMET. She was born in Harrison county and is a daughter of David and Nancy (HUTCHISON) Gamet. The reader is referred to the history of George L. Gamet, found elsewhere in this volume, for further information concerning the family. The Gamets were early settlers in Harrison county, and have been prominent in its history for more than half a century. Mr. and Mrs. Garner are the parents of five children, two of whom are living, David H. and Helen M. David married Mary Asenbrener, and is living with his father. Helen M. is still living with her parents. The deceased children are as follow: Mamie E., who died at the age of two; Alma, who died at the age of eighteen months, and Rolland, who died at the age of four.
Mr. Garner is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a Democrat and has been active in the life of his township in political matters. He has served as clerk of Raglan township and also as one of its trustees and road supervisors. He is now one of the directors of the Harrison County Fair Association, is also a member of the Westside Farmers' Club, and has been president of the latter organization for five years. He is a stockholder in the Magnolia creamery and the C. Hafer Lumber Company, of Council Bluffs. The family are loyal members of the Latter-Day Saints church of Mondamin.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 870, 871, 872 Family Researcher: NA
George H. GIBSON -
In the attempt to condense the life history of any living citizen into a brief sketch, the biographer finds a most difficult task, both on account of lack of space and words, but more especially because of the fact that it is impossible to gain a perfect and rounded conception of his whole life. The underlying motives and principles which govern a man's life are discernible to those who know him in his outward life and achievements. A short sketch of the career of George H. Gibson, one of the leading business men of Little Sioux, Harrison county, Iowa, will disclose to the reader the fact that he is a worthy man, possessing ambition, perseverance and honesty in a commendable degree. George H. Gibson is a native son of Iowa, born in Clinton county on March 10, 1857, a son of Harvey and Minerva H. (CHASE) Gibson, both of whom were natives of Wyoming county, New York. Subject's father was reared on a farm in his native state and in search of greater opportunities in his chosen field of endeavor, he came westward in 1854, settling in this state. In 1871 the family removed to Harrison county, locating in Union township where the father in partnership with his eldest son Merritt P., purchased a tract of land. This son Merritt was a veteran in the Union army during the Civil War, having enlisted for service with a California regiment, and after the close of hostilities he returned to his father's home.
George H. Gibson remained under the parental roof until he attained his majority when he began life on his own account by renting a farm of forty acres in Jackson township. He continued farming until 1898 when he moved to Little Sioux and assumed the management of the H. A. Quinn lumber yard. He remained in this connection for five years, establishing for himself among the business men of Little Sioux a reputation for business ability of a high order. Of unquestioned integrity and pleasing in manner, he had won many friends who were glad to see him assume the position of assistant cashier of the Payton bank when such a vacancy occurred in that institution. That position he efficiently filled for five years, at which time he became cashier, in which capacity he is serving at the present time.
On December 31, 1880, Mr. Gibson was united in marriage with Effie M. SILSBY, born March 10, 1861, in Essex county, New York, a daughter of Milton and Abigail (CLIFFORD) Silsby, natives of Vermont and New York respectively. Not long after her birth her father enlisted for service in the Union cause during the War of the Rebellion. Mrs. Gibson's death occurred on May 29, 1913, and besides her husband, she left two daughters. Philena A., who was born May 4, 1882, is the wife of John P. Baker and since the death of the mother they have made their home with Mr. Gibson. They are the parents of two children, Eleanor M., born February 1, 1912, and Alice E., born April 26, 1913. Blanche P., the youngest daughter, born April 18, 1893, remains with her father. Both daughters have been well educated, being graduated from the Little Sioux high school. On September 27, 1914, Mr. Gibson was married, secondly, to Mrs. E. J. Bonney, who was born in Little Sioux, a daughter of Mrs. Eliza Cooper.
Mr. Gibson and his family hold their religious membership with the Methodist Episcopal church, his daughter Blanche being especially active in the work. His fraternal affiliation is with Little Sioux Lodge No. 389, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; the Modern Woodmen of America and Mondamin Encampment No. 156. Politically, he endorses the principles of the Democratic party and has long been active in local political circles. For the past ten years he has been township clerk of Little Sioux township and acts as treasurer for the town of Little Sioux.
While there are no startling or striking incidents in the life of the subject of this sketch, no great or sudden step into fame, there is something better still than either of these � a constancy of purpose and a fidelity to higher motives which is inspiring to any one who is struggling on the rugged pathway of life. Mr. Gibson, during the years of his labors, has accumulated something along material lines and owns a commodious home located in the northeast part of Little Sioux, but more valuable still than material success is the enviable position he holds in the hearts of friends and acquaintances.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 525, 526, 527 Family Researcher: NA