1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Twenty Six
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
James A. PERLEY -
A substantial farmers of Little Sioux township, Harrison county, Iowa, is James A. Perley, who has been a resident of this county since 1911. One of his uncles was one of the earliest settlers in Harrison county, and the farm on which Mr. Perley is now living is part of the estate which his uncle had in the county; Mr. Perley is a civil engineer, by profession, and has traveled and worked in many states in the Union. However, most of his life has been spent in farming, and since locating in this county, he has made a reputation for himself as one of its most progressive farmers and public-spirited citizens.
James A. Perley, the son of Chauncey C. and Sarah T. (Penniman) Perley, was born on January 23, 1867, in Bowen's Prairie, Delaware county, Iowa. The father was born in Bakersfield, Vermont, on October 16, 1841, and the mother's nativity occurred in Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire, on March 7, 1839. The father came to Iowa when a boy, though he never lived in Harrison county. His brother, James, came to Harrison county about 1858, and owned a store in Little Sioux in partnership with a Mr. Dalley. James Perley was engaged in business in Little Sioux until his death and owned a large amount of land in the county. C. B. Perley, a brother of the subject, bought the interests of the other heirs to the paternal estate. He never married, and when his death occurred, as a result of an accident in 1910, his estate was divided, and James A Perley received two hundred and seventy-six acres of land from his brother's estate of five hundred acres, near Little Sioux.
James A. Perley located on this farm in 1911. After receiving a good elementary education, Mr. Perley entered Ames College, at Ames, Iowa, and graduated in the civil engineering course in the class of 1887. He worked on the irrigation ditches in Colorado for several years, and then engaged in railroading in Wisconsin and also farmed in North Carolina for ten years. In the summer of 1914, he completed his fine modern residence of ten rooms. It is strictly up-to-date, including modern lights and hot and cold water, and it is altogether one of the most attractive country homes in Harrison county. Mr. Perley's principal crops are wheat, alfalfa and corn.
Mr. Perley was married in 1888, in Wisconsin, to Harriett M. Rumsey, a daughter of Norman and Lucy (Burch) Rumsey, natives of New York. To this union have been born five children, Harriett, James, Sarah, Dorothy and Norma.
The family are regular attendants of the Presbyterian church, to which denomination Mrs. Perley belongs. Mr. Perley gives his support to the Republican party, but has never held any offices. His uncle, James Perley, was a prominent factor in the political life of Harrison county during its early history and made an excellent record as a county official. Mr. Perley is a man of broad and liberal views and is a welcome addition to the community where he resides. Although he has been here but a comparatively short time, he has already built up a wide circle of acquaintances who are proud to number him among their friends.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 979, 980 Family Researcher: NA
D. A. PETERS -
One of the well-known citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, is D. A. Peters, successful farmer and stock raiser of Harrison township, residing near Dunlap. Mr. Peters is one of the most up-to-date farmers of this section, carrying on the work of his farm along lines most approved by modern scientific research and practice, and in the management of his farm has demonstrated the fact that he possesses more than ordinary business ability and this, couples with a determination to succeed, has placed him in his present enviable position.
D. A. Peters is a native of this county, born on June 13, 1879, a son of John M. and Julia E. (SMITH) Peters, and the second child in their family. The others were Grace, who became the wife of J. H. Morton, of Douglas township, this county; Fletcher E., who is located at Earling, Shelby county, this state, where he practices medicine; Maud, deceased, and John Howard, who remains in the home with the parents. The mother of the children just named was the third wife of the elder Peters. There are no living children by the first marriage, and but one child by the second. This is Sherman W., who also resides in Harrison township. D A. Peter's mother was a native of the state of New York, while his father was born in County Antrim, Ireland. When a youth of sixteen years, he came alone to this country and located in Pennsylvania, where he found friends and where he lived for a few years. He saw the wisdom of acquiring some trade, and apprenticed himself to the bricklayer's trade, which he mastered and which served him well. Learning of the greater opportunities the west offered young and ambitious men, he decided to journey to this section, and worked his way as he came. For a time he settled in Illinois, and it was while living there, he was first married. He reached Harrison county in 1877, and for some time after he reached here, he continued to follow his trade, but his principal interest soon came to be farming. He had located in Douglas township where he had a fine farm to which he finally gave all his time.
D. A. Peters, when a boy, attended the common schools of his own home district where he secured a good elementary education. For the higher grades, he attended the Normal College at Woodbine, where he took a commercial course and also the Latin preparatory work. With the wisdom of more advanced years, he was able to discern the opportunities in store for agricultural work in this section, and upon leaving his books at Woodbine, he returned to his father's home and entered into the work of the farm home with him, continuing in that relation until the time of his marriage, in 1890. He then made other arrangements with his father, whereby he rented the farm home for ten years, and, in 1910, took up his residence at his present location in Harrison township, three and one-half miles south of Dunlap. Here he has a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres and carries on general farming, as practiced to best advantage throughout this section, and also feeds a goodly number of cattle each year. In recent years, Mr. Peters has built a fine home, thoroughly modern in every respect, the entire premises being lighted with electricity. This current is generated in his own plant and, in addition to this great convenience, there is running water in the house and also a fine heating system. All barns and outbuildings are wired for electric lights and Mrs. Peters also converts a portion of the current to he own uses and does her washing, ironing, churning, etc., with its assistance. It is a far cry from this modern home, with all its wonderful conveniences and comforts, back to the small hut or dugout of the pioneer of this section, and with all the wonderfully marked differences in every-day life between the two times, there is really but a short span of years, for there are many yet living who have experienced and can recall all the hardships and privations and the few pleasures of pioneer days.
Mrs. D. A. Peters, before her marriage, was Miss Celia M. MANION, daughter of Michael and Bridget (COINE) Manion, both natives of Ireland. Mr. Peters and Celia M. Manion were married on August 22, 1891, and to their union have come five children, Bernice, Donna, John Robert, Audrey and Alberta, all residing at home with the parents. Mrs. Peters; mother is still living in Shelby county, where the father died some years ago. They first came to this section in 1880, having lived for a time in Canada, directly after reaching this country.
D. A. Peters and his family are communicants of the Roman Catholic church, and his political preference is with the Republican party, in whose interests he has done much service in local affairs. He served as township trustee of Douglas township several times, and also served Harrison township in the same capacity for one term. He has evinced keen interest in matters pertaining to the education of youth. He is a man of sound and practical intelligence, keenly alert to everything relating to his own interests and, in fact, with all that concerns the prosperity and advancement of his community. Because of his splendid personal characteristics and genuine worth, he enjoys the confidence and esteem of all who know him and in eminently entitled to representation in a work of the character of the one at hand.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 969, 970, 971 Family Researcher: NA
John E. PETERSON -
The success of men in business or any vocation, depends upon character as well as upon knowledge, it being a self-evident proposition that honesty is the best policy. Business demands confidence and where that is lacking, business ends. In every community some men are known for their upright lives, strong common sense and moral worth, rather than for their wealth or political standing. Their neighbors and acquaintances respect them and the younger generations heed their example. Among such men in Harrison county, Iowa, is John E. Peterson, a large landowner and implement and auto dealer, at Persia. He is a man of modest and unassuming demeanor, is well-informed and a fine type of the reliable self-made American. He is a man who, in every respect, merits the high esteem in which he is universally held.
John E. Peterson was born on December 21, 1880, at Sheffield, Illinois, the son of Andrew and Cenia (JORGENSON) Peterson. Andrew Peterson was born in Denmark and left there when about nineteen years of age. He settled at Sheffield, Illinois, working as a farm hand. He came to Shelby county, Iowa, in 1884, and rented land for a few years. He then bought eighty acres, six miles northwest of Shelby, which he still owns, although he has now retired and lives in Shelby, Iowa. His wife, the mother of John E. Peterson, was born in Denmark, also, and is now living with her husband in a cozy home in Shelby. To Andrew and Cenia (Jorgenson) Peterson six children have been born, John E., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Martha Paul, of Washington township, William, who is employed by his brother, John E., and three children who died in infancy.
John E. Peterson was reared on a farm and, though he attended only the district schools, he was able to acquire a very good education and, throughout his life, has been a wide-awake business man. He began hard work at the age of sixteen as a farm hand and when twenty-one, rented farm land. At the age of twenty-four, he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land and made many improvements of this farm, including trees, fertilization, fences and outbuildings. Mr. Peterson cultivated this land for nine years and now owns two hundred and fifty-seven acres in Washington township.
Mr. Peterson came to Persia and started a garage in 1913, and later, branched out to the implement business and now carries a stock worth about eighteen thousand dollars.
John E. Peterson was married in 1901 to Effie Maud SMITH, who was born in 1881 in Des Moines. To this union two children have been born, George and Virginia S., both of whom live at home.
The cares of business and agriculture have prevented Mr. Peterson from taking an active part in politics. Nevertheless, he is an ardent Republican and is now a member of the Persia city council, a position which he is filling with credit to himself and to those who elected him. Mr. Peterson and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has a wide membership in fraternal organizations. He belongs to the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America, in all of which he is more or less active. John E. Peterson is a man who, in every sense, merits the respect and high esteem in which he is universally held in the town, township and county where he lives. He is a man of public spirit, intellectual attainments and exemplary character.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 978, 979 Family Researcher: NA
Peter A. PETERSON -
Harrison is, indeed, fortunate to be the home of men of such mental and moral stamina as Peter A. Peterson, who is one of the foremost agriculturists of his community. Mr. Peterson does his full share toward the maintaining of Harrison county's prosperity and reputation by conducting his own farm in a systematic and business-like way, at the same time taking a deep interest in all public questions.
Peter A. Peterson was born in Jefferson township, Harrison county, Iowa, October 17, 1872, the son of James and Laura (MARTIN) Peterson. James Peterson was twice married, and to his first union were born four children, Peter, Fred, Mrs. Rhoda Edwards and Bert.
An industrious son of Denmark, James Peterson was born on June 12, 1835, the son of Peter J. and Inger (Anderson) Peterson, who were also natives of Denmark, and are now deceased. James Peterson left Denmark in 1862, coming to America and settling first in Wisconsin, working for a Wisconsin farmer for a short time. He removed to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1864 and for two years he worked by the month, as a farm hand, after which, for a few years, was proprietor of a threshing outfit. Eventually, he bought forty acres of land in Jefferson township, and gradually added to his original purchase until he was the owner of two hundred and sixty acres of well-improved land. Among the improvements he placed on this land was the setting out of a grove of fine trees at the hands of Mr. Peterson, Sr. He retired from active farm life in 1914, although still making his home on the farm.
James first married in 1872 Laura Martin, who was born in Illinois, in 1850, and died in 1880. Mr. Peterson's second marriage occurred in 1881, when he married Almira Norman, who was born in Illinois in 1859.To this second union were born eleven children, Claud, William, Elmer, Ara, Mrs. Emma Grosman, Roy, Mrs. Clara Clark, Ray, Mrs. Mary Sillau, Florence, and Ruth.
Reared on his father's farm, Peter Peterson spent the winter months in attendance of the district schools of his home township. At the age of twenty-four, his father presented him with the place on which he now lives, and which contains one hundred and twenty acres of land, with about twenty acres of natural timber on it. This property has been admirably improved by the erection of a substantial and commodious barn, a comfortable house, with outbuildings, necessary to a well-kept farm, as well as the establishment of a fine orchard. Good management is everywhere evident in the appearance of both fields and buildings.
Mr. Peterson was married to Laura WILSON on April 30, 1902, who was born in Jefferson township, Harrison county, Iowa, April 28, 1883. To this union has been born one child, Fay, who was born December 19, 1911.
Mrs. Peterson is a daughter of Moses and Emma (MOURER) Wilson, the former of whom was born on March 23, 1856, at Logan, Iowa, the son of Lowery and Martha (Reel) Wilson. Lowery Wilson was born on April 25, 1833, in Benton county, Kentucky, and died in 1907. He was a son of Benjamin and Jane (Bond) Wilson, both of whom were natives of Virginia. Emma (Mourer) Wilson, the mother of Mrs. Peterson, was born on December 14, 1858, at Circleville, Ohio, and is a daughter of Peter and Kunigunda (Schwarz) Mourer, both of whom were natives of Germany, and were early settlers of Harrison county, Iowa. Peter Mourer died in 1877, at the age of forty-seven years, while his widow survived him until June 18, 1913, her death occurring at the age of seventy-nine years. Mrs. Peterson's parental grandmother, Martha (Reel) Wilson, was born in 1833 and died on March 31, 1865.
Educated in the district schools and also in the Woodbine Normal School, Mrs. Peterson, before her marriage, taught school in Magnolia and Cass townships for two terms, at the end of which time she was married to Mr. Peterson.
Mr. Peterson is a stanch member of the Republican party, on which ticket he was elected trustee of Jefferson township, and which office he has held ever since 1905. Mr. Peterson executes his public duties with a strict impartiality and a commendable fairness, as he realizes that he is serving his best interests by serving those of the people as well. A man of firm convictions and definite aim, Mr. Peterson is the type of citizen who maintains and upholds the traditions of an honorable civic history.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 903, 904, 905 Family Researcher: NA
Harmon L. PIERCE -
The subject of the sketch to which the attention of the reader is now directed is one of the leading business men of Little Sioux, Iowa, well and widely known throughout this section. The career of Mr. Pierce clearly demonstrates that perseverance, industry and sterling worth are sure to win conspicuous recognition. He is a man of vigorous mentality and strong moral fiber, possessing that genuine friendliness which is a necessary asset for one who caters to the public's need in any way. Mr. Pierce is an excellent example of a successful, self-made man and is eminently deserving of the confidence reposed in him by his fellow-citizens.
Harmon L. Pierce was born on December 18, 1852, in Iowa county, Wisconsin, a son of Philetus and Louisa (NOYES) Pierce, natives of Illinois and Ohio, respectively, who, shortly after their marriage, became pioneers in Wisconsin, being among the very earliest settlers of their locality. They remained there until 1860 when they removed to this state, locating at Little Sioux in this county and owning and operating a valuable farm located about four miles southwest of the town mentioned. Harmon L. Pierce was one of a family of fifteen children, being the second in order of birth, and he remained under the parental roof until the time of his marriage at the age of twenty. He put in several years at farm labor, hiring out by the month to farmers in the vicinity of Little Sioux, but he later mastered the carpenter's trade, at which he worked until 1885. Several of the store buildings in Little Sioux show evidences of his skill and he later did much work in the contracting line. Among the examples of his work in this connection are three school buildings in Jackson township, for the building and remodeling of which he was awarded the contracts. Among the finer residences to which he gave his attention is that of Judge Whiting, located in Monroe county, at which place he worked for seven months. In 1885 he discontinued his work as a carpenter, and went into the pump and windmill business and succeeded so well in this undertaking that three years later he felt justified in adding a line of farm implements. Again, in 1900, he branched out and in addition to the business then in operation, he put in a stock of hardware and opened up a tin shop, adding a five hundred dollar stock in this latter line. His business has steadily increased, owing to his excellent management and his manner of dealing with patrons; other lines have been added and at the present time he carries between four and five thousand dollars in his enterprise.
Mr. Pierce's marriage took place on December 25, 1872, when he led to the altar Laura M. FARBER, born in Illinois on May 30, 1853, a daughter of George and Sarah (WELSH) Farber, one of a family of eight children, the family having come to this county in 1870. To Harmon L. and Laura M. (Farber) Pierce have been born two daughters, Sadie M. and Jessie M. The former is the wife of N. J. Bryan and is the mother of three children, Vera, Pearl and Kenneth. The family resides in Little Sioux. Jessie M. is Mrs. H. D. Hollins and resides in Sioux City. She has one child, Loren Dale. The family always has been considered among the leading people of the town and each member in his or her own way has raised higher the standard of right and proper living.
In addition to his established business in town, Mr. Pierce is engaged in an unusual venture in which he is highly successful. This is his pigeon ranch, the only one in the county. He raises squabs for the market and ships annually to Chicago from eight to eight and a half thousand. He has all full-blood birds of the Homer and Carneaux breeds and while he has not been selling his birds for breeding purposes heretofore, he expects to do so in the future, owing to the fact that he has been paying considerable attention to this phase of the business. At the present time he has from eighteen hundred to two thousand birds and has so mastered the various ends of the business, that he is finding it a most interesting and lucrative investment.
Mr. Pierce holds his fraternal affiliations with the ancient order of Free and Accepted Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, and both Mr. and Mrs. Pierce are active members of the Daughters of Rebekah. Mr. Pierce takes more than a passive interest in the workings of his fraternal orders and has in his time filled the chairs in both the Masonic and Odd Fellow bodies. Politically, he is aligned with the Republican party and while not an active politician, he takes a keen interest in party affairs and has been a member of the town council for a number of years.
Mr. Pierce owns his own town property, a comfortable and hospitable home, located in the south part of town and is also a stockholder and director of the Little Sioux Savings Bank. Mr. Pierce is descended from sterling English and German stock and has combined in his personality many of the admirable traits of both nationalities. The best of his life he has given to his home and business interests, but he has not been so wholly engrossed in these laudable pursuits as to preclude the proper discharge of the duties devolving upon him as the citizen of a great commonwealth, and has in his place met the obligations falling upon him. His is the wholesome, well-balanced life found in its fullest flower in this great land of ours and which in the aggregate forms the solid foundation of the nation's prosperity and peace.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 656, 657, 658 Family Researcher: NA
Walter W. POWELL -
For the past twenty years Walter W. Powell has been engaged in agricultural pursuits in Harrison county, Iowa. He started out as a renter and, in the course of his career in this county, has accumulated a fine farm of three hundred and thirty acres a half mile west of Orson. This is sufficient evidence that Mr. Powell has directed his energies in such a manner as to gain the best results. He takes an active part in the life of his community, and is a firm believer in all public-spirited measures which he believes will benefit the community at large.
Walter W. Powell, the son of Francis H. and Mary (FERRIS) Powell, was born on February 6, 1869, in Owen county, Indiana. Both of his parents were natives of the same state, his father being a son of Elijah Powell, who was a native of Maryland.
The Powells were farmers in Indiana, where Francis H. and his wife reared a family of eight children, of whom Walter W. is the eldest. Mr. Powell lived at home until he was twenty-one years of age. He received a good common school education in his native state. After reaching his majority, he went to Illinois, where he worked on a farm for three years, returning then to Indiana and working in the coal mines near Brazil for about a year. Mr. Powell came to Harrison county, Iowa, in February, 1895, and located just west of Crescent, where he lived on a rented farm for nine years. He then rented a farm near Calhoun for nine years, and in the fall of 1913 traded one hundred and twelve acres of land, which he owned one mile south of Orson, for his present farm of three hundred and thirty acres, a half mile west of Orson. He moved on his farm in the spring of 1914, and is rapidly improving the place and bringing it to a high state of cultivation.
Mr. Powell was married on August 5, 1892, to Julia TWOMEY, who was born in Kentucky, and is a daughter of John and Mary J. (FERGUSON) Twomey, natives of Ireland. Mr. Powell was married in Illinois, while working there, and to this union have been born ten children, Rosa, born on April 21, 1893; Mary, born on December 23, 1894; Grace, born on October 6, 1896; Walter, born on January 13, 1898; Olive, born on November 7, 1900; Wilbur, born on August 24, 1902; Michael, born on December 21, 1904; Milton, born on February 11, 1907; Catherine, born on December 27, 1909; Alice, born on October 26, 1913. One of the daughters, Rosa, is married. She married Thomas Tierney, and lives three miles east of Missouri Valley. Mr. and Mrs. Tierney have one daughter, Julia. Mary received an excellent education and is now teaching school near Orson. The rest of the children are still single and living at home.
Mr. Powell and his family are all loyal members of the Catholic church and generous contributors to its support. Mr. Powell is a Republican, but is not a partisan in any sense of the word. He votes for men rather than for government. He has been a school director for two terms and, during his incumbency of this office, has given his hearty support to every measure which he felt would benefit the schools of his neighborhood.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 930, 931 Family Researcher: NA
John F. POWERS -
It is not an easy task to describe adequately the character of a man who has led an eminently active and busy life in connection with agriculture and business and who has stamped his individuality upon the community life of Harrison county in one of the most exacting fields of human endeavor. Yet there is always a full measure of satisfaction in adverting, even in a casual way, to the career of an able and conscientious worker in any line of human endeavor. Among the truly self-made men and representatives of Harrison county, Iowa, none ranks higher than John F. Powers, an honorable gentleman who is a conspicuous figure in the agricultural and civic life of his community. He is a man of tireless energy and indomitable courage, qualities by which he has won and held the unqualified esteem of his fellowmen.
John F. Powers, farmer and stockman of Washington township, was born on October 6, 1869, in Johnson county, Iowa. He is a son of Richard and Nora (POWERS) Powers, the former born in 1835, in County Waterford, Ireland. Richard Powers was reared on a farm and when a young man, came to Iowa City, Iowa, where he worked as a railroad laborer until 1876. He then came to Harrison county, Iowa, and bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, in Washington township. His first improvements upon this farm were considerably more modest than improvements since made. The first house was eighteen by twenty-five feet and only one and one-half stories high. A small stable with a straw and hay loft has been replaced with a large barn. Mr. Powers added land from time to time until he now owns three hundred and twenty acres. He retired in 1903, but is still living on the farm. Richard Powers' wife was born in 1837, in County Waterford, Ireland, and now lives with her husband on the home place. Both are strict and devout Catholics. They have been the parents of six children, Morris J., a farmer of Cass township; Anna Hayes, who lives in Washington township; John F., the subject of this sketch; Richard, who lives in Douglas township; Mollie, who is at home with her parents; and Mrs. Nora A. Wear, who lives in Washington township.
John F. Powers has always remained on the farm where he now lives. He attended the district schools of Washington township and the Woodbine Normal, where he was graduated with distinction. When his father retired, John F. took charge of the farm and has been very successful, both in farming and in stock breeding. He makes a specialty of Shorthorn cattle and is well known throughout the entire country for his success with this breed. He has made a similar success with Duroc-Jersey hogs and Percheron horses and has exhibited corn at different times. The photograph, shown in the prospectus issued for this volume, shows some of Mr. Powers' corn exhibited in the 1913 Prize Corn Show. Mr. Powers won first prize on yellow dent corn and sweepstakes. He owns two hundred and eighty acres of land in Thurston county, Nebraska, and is a shareholder and director of the Persia Savings Bank. He was elected township trustee in 1908, which office he has held ever since. Mr. Powers is not married.
He is a Democrat, is an ardent member of the Catholic church and a member of the Knights of Columbus. In every sense, John F. Powers is a leader in his community. He is much admired for his energy, his ability for leadership and his splendid success in everything to which he has applied himself. It is upon the careers of such men as John F. Powers that the stability of our republican institutions must depend.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 897, 898 Family Researcher: NA
Joseph M. O'CONNOR -
The O'Connor family came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1869, the parents of Joseph M. O'Connor both being natives of Ireland, and early settlers of Iowa. Mr. O'Connor was only one year old when his parents located in this county and he has make his home here ever since that time. He has engaged in general farming and stock raising in Taylor township with gratifying success, and is classed among the progressive farmers of his township.
Joseph M. O'Connor, the son of John and Mary (MARLEY) O'Connor, was born on August 4, 1868, in Davenport, Iowa. His parents were both born and reared in Ireland, but came to America before their marriage. They were married in New Haven, Connecticut, and later settled in Davenport, Iowa, where John O'Connor worked in factories for several years. He first farmed in Scott county, Iowa, and in 1869, moved into Harrison county, where he farmed until his death, which occurred June 19, 1883. His widow died on January 1, 1908.
Joseph M. O'Connor was one of eight children born to his parents. He received a good common school education in the schools of this county and assisted his father on the farm until he was married. Before that time, however, he had bought a farm in Taylor township. It was very poorly improved when he acquired it, but he has built an addition to the house, erected new barns, granaries and tool-sheds, making it one of the best improved farms in the township. He feeds most of his grain to his stock, and annually sells about seventy head of cattle and two carloads of hogs. He keeps high-grade stock and although much of his stock is eligible to registry, he does not care to bother about having it listed.
Mr. O'Connor was married on October 9, 1900, to Catherine A. GILMORE, who was born in Dubuque, Iowa, a daughter of A. J. and Sarah (MCCONNAH) Gilmore, natives of Ireland and Montreal, Canada, respectively. To Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor have been born three children, Sarah Frances, born on August 22, 1901; Regenia C., born on January 7, 1905, and Arthur Gilmore, born on December 5, 1908.
The family are loyal members of the Catholic church, and Mr. O'Connor is a member of the Knights of Columbus. In politics he gives his support to the Democratic party, but has never taken an active part in political affairs. Mr. O'Connor started out in a humble way in life, but now has an excellent farm and is enjoying all the conveniences of modern life. He goes to town in his own automobile and well remembers the day when he envied the men who owned fine farms in his community. His example may well be emulated by the coming generation, since his whole life has been such as to commend him to those about him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 792, 793 Family Researcher: NA