1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Twenty Five
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Kenton E. BRUNDIGE -
KENTON E. BRUNDIGE. A successful merchant and farmer of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is KENTON E. BRUNDIGE, who has spent his entire career in
Harrison County. Born and reared on the farm, he engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1911 when he moved to Missouri Valley to engage in the
hardware business. Since that time, he has built up a large and lucrative trade, while at the same time he has maintained a careful supervision of his
farm. He is a man of sterling character and has so conducted himself as to win mateiral prosperity and at the same time secure the respect and esteem
of his fellow citizens.
Kenton E. BRUNDIGE, son of J. G. and JANE (CHINWORTH) BRUNDIGE, was born on a farm in Harrison County, Iowa, northeast of Missouri Valley, on
May 30, 1882. His parents were both natives of Indiana and came to Harrison County, Iowa, about 40 years ago. J.G. Brundige lived on a farm until about 8 years ago, when he moved to Missouri valley and retired from active farm life. His wife died in 1900. J. G. Brundige and wife were the parents of eight children, six of whom are still living: Clyde of Bowdon, North Dakota; Anna, the wife of B. P. Scebold of Pottawattamie County, Iowa; Ida, the wife of B. R. Norton, now living in California; K. E., of Missouri Valley; Belle, the wife of R. G. Kohl of Missouri Valley; and Eva, the wife of Albert Dray of Woodbine, Iowa.
K. E. Brundige was reared on his father's farm in this county and after completing the course of education in the common schools attended the Woodbine
Normal School. After leaving school, he followed farming on the old homestead until 1911, since which time he has been engaged in the retail hardware
business in Missouri Valley. His store is well stocked with a general line of shelf and heavy hardware, and he has succeeded in building up a large trade in a remarkably short time. He is a man of good business judgement, and by his courteous treatment of his customers as well as the high qualify of the goods he handles, he has built up a very comfortable business.
Mr. Brundige was married in 1906 to Anna Weatherly of Harrison County, daughter of John Weatherly and to this union have been born three children:
Elma, Beryl and Howard.
Mr. Brundige is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Homesteaders. He gives his support to the Republican party but has confined his
activities thus far to the casting of his ballot for its candidates. He owns a well improved farm of 150 acrtes in Pottaattamie County, Iowa, to which he
gives his careful supervision. Since moving to Missouri Valley, Mr. Brundige has been interested in the welfare of the city and has given his hearty support to all measures which were promoted for the general welfare of the community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 780-81 Family Researcher: NA
William QUINLAN -
It is hard to believe that the highly-civilized and progressive common-wealth of Iowa was a wilderness not so very long ago, and that Indians and buffalo roamed over the fair fields which today are well cultivated and which bear crops of almost incredible size. William Quinlan witnessed this change from frontier conditions to those of today, and his father was among those who were largely instrumental in bringing it about.
It was in Omaha, Nebraska, that William Quinlan was born, on August 31, 1866, the son of Patrick and Hannah (Murphy) Quinlan, who were natives of Tipperary and Cork, Ireland, respectively, and were the parents of eight children, whose names, in order of birth follow: William, Mary, Johannah (deceased), Thomas, John, Maggie, Lizzie and Edna. Thomas, who now is assistant general manager of the Brandeis store in Omaha, for nineteen years was manager of Hayden Brothers.
The paternal grandfather of William Quinlan died in Ireland, and his widow immigrated to America with her four children. She died two weeks after her arrival and the children came west, locating in DeWitt, Clinton county, Iowa. Of these children, Patrick went to St. Louis and secured employment on the river steamboats, often coming up the Missouri river to Harrison county to secure ties for railroad construction. Afterward he worked for the Creighton brothers in the building of telegraph lines across the continent. After his marriage Patrick Quinlan moved to Omaha and went to work for the Union Pacific Railway Company. Still later he went to Blair, Nebraska, where he lived on a homestead until he proved up his title. After working in Blair two years as a blacksmith, he went to work on the old Sioux City & Pacific Railroad, and was section foreman of that road at Blair for twenty-seven years. After his wife's death, he retired and took up his residence with his unmarried children.
William Quinlan was educated in the public schools of Blair, Nebraska, and lived at home until his marriage. In the fall of 1903 he sold the farm which he owned near Blair and moved to his present home of one hundred and twenty acres in section 9 of Cincinnati township, Harrison county. Although Mr. Quinlan does general farming, he specializes in the breeding and raising of blooded Poland-China hogs.
On December 26, 1900, Mr. Quinlan married Ellen Egan, who was born on October 11, 1878, in Fremont county, Iowa, the daughter of William and Esther (Hubbard) Egan. To the marriage of Mr. Quinlan and his wife have been born three children: Johannah, born on March 18, 1902, died at the age of two years; Ruth Ellen, born on February 21, 1909, and William E., born on April 5, 1914.
The parents of Ellen Egan were natives of County Westmeath, Ireland, and Scott county, Iowa, respectively. William Egan came to Harrison county in 1882, when he was forty-two years of age, and took up his occupation as farmer.
Although Mr. Quinlan is no politician or office seeker, he is interested in public questions and votes the Republican ticket. He and his family are faithful and devoted members of the Catholic church, and to Mr. Quinlan is granted that pleasant distinction which comes as a result of a life of good deeds and earnest endeavor. Mr. Quinlan is endowed with those social graces which render him welcome at all times, while he is widely esteemed for his genuine worth.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 814, 815 Family Researcher: NA
E. B. VAUGHN -
The American farmer is rapidly realizing the advantages of specializing, to at least a certain extent, in the products of his fields and orchards. The old method was to plant whatever pleased the fancy and to trust to Providence for results, and it was successful because the soil was unexhausted and capable of producing under adverse circumstances. In the older sections of the country fertilization has become necessary to restore the fertility of the soil, while the profits accruing from the production of high-grade stock, fruit, or poultry, are daily becoming more evident.
E. B. Vaughn is one of those advanced agriculturists who specializes in stock and fruit. Mr. Vaughn was born in Waupaca county, Wisconsin, on September 3, 1849, the son of Byron E. and Mary (Smith) Vaughn. Byron Vaughn was born in New York state, in 1826. Settling in Wisconsin in the early days of its history, he later drove a team of oxen from Wisconsin to Magnolia township, Harrison county, Iowa, consuming six weeks in the trip. There he bought one hundred and twenty acres of virgin land, which he quickly brought under cultivation. Besides cultivating the land, Byron Vaughn hauled freight to Council Bluffs.
Retiring in 1884, Byron Vaughn has since made his home with his children, and is now living in Omaha, Nebraska. His wife died when E. B. Vaughn was but three years old.
Mr. Vaughn attended the district schools of Magnolia township and the public schools at Logan. Reared on the farm, he naturally chose to become a farmer, and at the age of twenty-one he rented one hundred and twenty acres of land. In 1882 he had progressed far enough to enable him to buy seventy acres, and he has since accumulated two hundred and thirty-nine acres of fertile and well-improved land. The improvements on the place total the respectable sum of eight thousand dollars, and they include an orchard of two acres of fine fruit trees.
Reminiscent of the early days, Mr. Vaughn tells of the time when buggies, so common today, were objects of curiosity in this section, as were the automobiles not so many years ago.
In 1879 Mr. Vaughn married Lottie McClure, who was born in Virginia, July 30, 1862, the daughter of John and Frances (Sprinkle) McClure, natives of Virginia, the former of whom was born in 1839 and died on April 28, 1874, three months after coming to Logan, and the latter of whom was born in 1840 and died in 1902.
Three daughters and two sons were born to Mr. Vaughn and his wife, namely: Gertrude, a graduate of both Logan high school and Cedar Falls College, is now at home and teaching a district school in Magnolia township; Carrie, who also was graduated from Logan high school, is living at home; Catherine, deceased; Harry and George, who are still living at home.
A member of the Methodist church, Mr. Vaughn deserves the respect of his fellow men; a member of the Republican party, Mr. Vaughn is whole-hearted and sincere in his political belief; as an intelligent farmer, Mr. Vaughn measures up to a high standard of citizenship.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 804, 805 Family Researcher: NA
Wells Franklin WALKER -
One of the oldest residents of Harrison county, Iowa, a native of the Hoosier state, who is now retired and is living with F. H. Cadwell, of Magnolia township, Harrison county, is Wells Franklin Walker, who was born in Indiana, October 14, 1832, the son of Elbert and Elizabeth (Malone) Walker, the former a native of Georgia, and the latter a native of Ohio. The Walker family were pioneers in the middle west. The subject's grandfather, John Malone, settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, when there were only three houses in the city. Mr. Walker's father had migrated from his native state to Franklin county, Indiana, when a young man, and here he was married to Elizabeth Malone. Wells Franklin Walker was born in Franklin county, Indiana. His father, a farmer and cobbler by occupation, followed these two occupations during his entire life. He and his wife died in Franklin county, Indiana, after having reared a family of several children, all of whom are now deceased, except the subject of this sketch. Two children died in infancy. The others were Emeline, Zella Ann, Augustus Henry, Mary, Caroline, Elizabeth, Charles, John, Margaret and Orleffa.
Educated in the common schools of Franklin county, Indiana, Wells Franklin Walker has experienced a most interesting career, as a pioneer, in the region of the country west of the Mississippi river. After having helped his father on the home farm until he was twenty-two years old, he came to Independence, Iowa, where, after remaining for two months, he left to come to Harrison county in 1857. Having driven through with a young man and his wife, the party first located in Magnolia township, where they remained two years, and where Mr. Walker worked at the carpenter trade. Subsequently, he went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he worked for Frederickson and Jackson. In the meantime, however, this firm had established a branch store in Denver, Colorado, and all of the goods and merchandise were freighted overland by team and wagon. Mr. Walker was driver for this freight route for three years, from 1860 to 1863. He made his first trip west to Colorado in 1859, and here he worked in the mines for one year. During 1858 and a part of 1859, he carried the mail from Magnolia to Adel, Iowa, and also from Sioux City to Denison, Iowa. During this period he had many thrilling experiences, since Indians were numerous and wild game might be seen in abundance.
Wells Franklin Walker returned to Harrison county in 1863 and on April 5, of that year, was married to Candace Elizabeth Hopkins, the daughter of Benjamin and Delilah (White) Hopkins, natives of Kentucky and early settlers in Harrison county, having lived in Magnolia township. Mr. and Mrs. Walker had eleven children, two of whom died in infancy, and one other, Mary, is now deceased. The living children are Orrin B., Alberta, Morton and Maude, twins, Preston G., John W., Jennie R. and Harriett J. The mother of these children and the wife of Mr. Walker died January 20, 1904, while the family was living in Jefferson township. Mr. Walker had retired in 1900.
A Democrat in politics, Wells Franklin Walker was at one time a school director and also a trustee. He also held other minor offices. While the family leans to the Christian church, Mr. and Mrs. Walker and family were not actively identified with any religious denomination.
Wells Franklin Walker has lived to see a vast prairie, comprising the great state of Iowa, land that was formerly little more than a treeless waste, transformed into beautiful farms that produce abundantly the good things of the earth. As a pioneer resident of this section, he has had no small part in this wonderful transformation. Today, in the evening of life, he is well known in the community where he lives, admired and respected by all the people with whom his active life has brought him into contact, and at the same time loved and cherished by the family of children he helped to rear to honorable and useful lives.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 971, 972 Family Researcher: NA
John Smith WATTLES -
The branch of the Wattles family to which this gentleman belongs traces its genealogical line to John MacWattles, a Highland Scotchman, who landed in Norwich Landing, Connecticut, A. D. 1652. According to the record left his children he dropped the �Mac� from the family name. John Smith Wattles is the son of David and Sarah (Smith) Wattles, born January 3, 1832, in Geneseo, New York. He attended the common schools, graduating from Temple Hill Academy, Geneseo, New York, when eighteen years of age. During this time he spent his vacations in working on a farm and with his father who was a mill-wright and building contractor. He also spent some time in surveying, until April, 1856, when he came west stopping at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he spent three years in building and contracting. He was then employed by the Cedar Rapids & Missouri Railroad Company, as assistant engineer on preliminary surveys and in the location of their line (now the Northwestern) between Cedar Rapids and Council Bluffs, Iowa. He had charge of that part of the line between Boone and Ogden � the heaviest and most difficult of construction between the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. He was employed as assistant engineer on the location and construction of the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad (now a part of the Northwestern system) from Missouri Valley to Sioux City and from Missouri Valley to Chadron, Nebraska. He was assistant superintendent of construction of the Iowa Falls & Sioux City railroad (now Illinois Central); located and had charge of the construction of the Sioux City & Pembina (now Milwaukee); also the Dakota Southern Railroad from Sioux City to Yankton, South Dakota, and extensions to Running Water and Scotland, South Dakota. He was general manager and chief engineer of the line from Sioux City to Ponca, Nebraska; assistant superintendent of the Sioux City & Pacific and Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley railroads; general manager of the Sioux City Elevated railroad and resigned to take up private engineering practice.
In all, Mr. Wattles has located approximately three hundred miles of drainage ditches. He has repeatedly been called as an expert in drainage matters and also in fixing the valuation and cost of railroads and railroad property. On account of infirmities incident to age he has practically retired from active field work, the last work being in 1911.
In recent years he has located and had charge of the Soldier Valley Drainage District improvements, which have reclaimed and benefited more than thirty thousand acres of Harrison county land, more than doubling its value. He laid out the original plat of Missouri Valley and was city engineer several terms; is a member of the American Historical Society, National Geographical Society, Iowa Engineering Society, and other associations. He served as a member of the Missouri Valley school board for sixteen years and molded the school courses. He was a member of the city council when the city government was organized in 1871.
He was one of the charter members of the Presbyterian church at Missouri Valley when it was formed in 1868, and has ever been a pillar, both spiritually and financially.
Mr. Wattles was united in marriage in May, 1868, to Miss Jane M. Uhl, of Geneseo, New York, who died November, 1881, at Missouri Valley, Iowa, leaving one son, Fred S. Wattles, now a resident of Sioux City. No other immediate relatives are living.
Truly this man's life has been one of wonderful accomplishments. He has served well in each position of responsibility to which he has been called, and now at the sundown of life, he still resides among a host of friends and admirers, many of whom have been made better by his eventful, successful career.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 837, 838 Family Researcher: NA
William S. WESTCOTT -
One of the finest farm homes in Harrison County, Iowa, is that of William S. Westcott, located near the thriving city of Woodbine. Mr. Westcott's farm, which is situated in Boyer township, contains two hundred and thirty-three acres and in every particular is a thoroughly modern and up-to-date establishment. Mr. Westcott has more than a local reputation as a breeder of registered double-standard Polled Herefords and has on an average of about thirty-five head in his herd. He also feeds cattle for the market and a goodly number of hogs. He has met with more than ordinary success in handling live stock and is well posted along that line. He also is a breeder of Belgian horses and has given considerable time and study to the raising of colts of this strain. He is succeeding well in this department of his work and from his stables have come many handsome young animals. Mr. Westcott also devotes a portion of his time and acreage to general farming and the raising of such grains as are best adapted to the soil and climate of this section.
William S. Westcott is a native of England, born in Devonshire on February 17, 1870, a son of Thomas and Sarah (Shorland) Westcott, and was the third child of the family. The others were Thomas, Emeline, Henry and George. The parents were both natives of England, and on their native isle passed their entire lives, both being now deceased. The father was a farmer all of his life and in this way the immediate subject of this sketch got his first insight into the secrets of successful husbandry. Subject received his elementary education in schools near his home, later going to Exeter, where he entered the training college and technical school of that famous institution of learning. He remained in Exeter after discontinuing his studies and was apprenticed for five years to the hardware business. He served four years of this term and by that time being heartily dissatisfied with that line, was permitted by his employers to leave before the close of his apprenticeship, when he immediately started for America. He came directly to this state and settled at Silver City in Mills county. He there secured work on the farm of George T. Rew, where he remained for three years, and for the five years following he rented farm land in that county. In 1898 he came to this county and at first purchased a farm containing eighty acres, which he later disposed of and bought the farm where he has since made his home. Since coming to that home, he has remodeled the residence, making it thoroughly modern in every respect, with its own water and heating plants and he also operates a small electric plant which furnishes current for lighting and many other domestic uses, the washing, ironing, churning, and some other labors being materially lightened in this manner. In addition to the fine residence, the barns and other outbuildings are of the very best and especially designed to meet the owner's particular requirements. There are also several silos and all other modern conveniences for the proper handling of live stock.
Mr. Westcott was married on October 19, 1898, to Miss Serena Elizabeth Tucker, daughter of George and Serena (Miller) Tucker. Mr. Tucker was a farmer all his life and a native of England, while his wife was a member of one of the early families of this section, coming originally from Indiana. Their home for many years was in Mills county, where both died.
To William S. and Serena E. (Tucker) Westcott were born five children, two of whom, Florence Emeline and Emily Louise, are deceased. The three sons survive: George William, Frederick Paul and Henry Herbert. Mr. Westcott holds his religious membership in the Methodise Episcopal church, serving the local congregation as steward, giving the best of his ability and generously of his means to further the great cause. He is a Republican, although not taking a particularly active interest in political affairs.
Mr. Westcott might well serve as an example of what any earnest young man may accomplish is he will bring the best of his brain and brawn to his enterprise. Personally, he is a man of clean character who has ever exerted a healthful influence in the community, giving his support to every movement which promises to advance the welfare of the community in any way. He has always led a quiet, well regulated and honest life, which has gained for him the respect of a host of admiring friends, by whom he is regarded as one of the leading citizens of this county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 589, 590 Family Researcher: NA
Maj. John R. WHEELER -
This distinguished soldier in the Civil War was a noted lumber dealer in Iowa and Nebraska in the sixties, seventies and eighties of the last century. He was a brave soldier and an energetic, successful business factor at Dunlap, this county, being the pioneer in the lumber business at that as well as other points within Harrison county.
Major Wheeler was born in New York state in 1833, a son of James Wheeler, the grandson of Josiah H. Wheeler and a great-grandson of Francis Wheeler, one of the minute men at Concord, Massachusetts, who served through the Revolution that finally gave this country its national independence. Josiah H. Wheeler also served his country as a brave soldier. Maj. John R. Wheeler was reared in the Empire state, and was trained in the lumber industry, which his father generally followed, and in 1856 went to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where he remained until December, 1861, when he enlisted in Company G, Sixteenth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, going to the front as captain of his company. He was promoted in 1864 to the position of major of his regiment. He received two bad wounds, the first a bullet hole through the upper lip at the famous battle of Pittsburg Landing, which was his first engagement. His company lost six men, with thirty-three wounded, in that engagement. On July 21, 1864, at Atlanta, he was wounded with a bullet through both of his thighs and was kept under fire ten days thereafter before he could be removed from the field. The surgeons advised amputation of one limb, but he would not submit to it. He took part in the battle of Pittsburg Landing, Corinth and others of the great engagements of that awful conflict. In the list of battles where he proved himself a soldier true may be named Vicksburg, the siege of Atlanta and Wise's Forks, where he met Bragg and Hook.
After his return to peaceful occupations, Major Wheeler again embarked in the lumber trade along the line of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad in Iowa, dealing at Clinton, Boone, Denison, Dunlap, Woodbine and Blair, Nebraska. He opened the first lumber yard at Dunlap, this county, in the summer of 1867, from three car loads which he had side-tracked at that point, there being no station-house or postoffice, or other object to mark the spot of a townsite. Later he built an office and engaged an ox team to draw his first invoice of lumber to his �yard.� The words �Lumber Office� painted on his little office building in 1867 were still plainly seen as late as 1895. For a number of years the lumber business flourished in these parts, and one hundred and fifty car loads was an average annual distribution over the wild, bleak prairies of Crawford and Harrison counties. Major Wheeler's trade extended forty miles in all directions. The first year he operated a yard in Woodbine, having located there in December, 1866, when there was only one completed building in the place. He was obliged to send to Boone for a heating stove with which to heat his office. Lumber was very high, the freight on a car load from Clinton to Woodbine being one hundred dollars, and dimension stuff sold at forty dollars a thousand feet. Medium-grade flooring was sixty dollars, while shingles sold at eight dollars. Grain brought a high price, and farmers needed lumber, even at these high figures. Major Wheeler continued in the lumber business from 1865 for more than a quarter of a century. Major Wheeler was a Democrat, belonged to the Knights of Pythias at Dunlap and was an energetic, well-behaved pioneer lumberman. In 1876 Major Wheeler married Nancy Tyler, daughter of William and Jane (Brown) Tyler, of Wisconsin, the former of whom was a native of Ohio and the latter a native of New York state, and to this union was born one son, John R., who was born November 10, 1879, and who lives in Mesita, Colorado, where he is engaged in the lumber business.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 651, 652 Family Researcher: NA
Lyman William WHITE -
He of whom this memoir is written was born at Franklin, Delaware county, New York, March 20, 1857, son of John R. and Elizabeth (Bogie) White. On the paternal side Mr. White traces back through Revolutionary lines to the Pilgrim Fathers and on the maternal side descends from Scottish forbears.
L. W. White obtained his education at the schools of Harrison county, to which locality the family immigrated in 1867. Later, young White attended the Delaware Literary Institute, at Franklin, New York. He was reared on his father's farm, near Woodbine, Iowa, and has resided, near or in Woodbine, for a half century, lacking three years, during which period he has seen the western prairies of Iowa transformed into garden spots of great beauty and value. During these passing decades Mr. White has been variously engaged. For thirteen years he was the editor and proprietor of the Woodbine Chronicle, but since laying down his editorial pen he has been the general agent for one of the big life insurance companies, with profit and success.
Politically, he is independent, and was postmaster of Woodbine under President Cleveland's administration, at present holding no political bias. He served as mayor of Woodbine for about three terms. In his church affiliations he is connected with the Presbyterian denomination. He is favorable to civic societies, and holds membership with the Masonic, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and Modern Woodmen. Beginning with October, 1908, he was grand master of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Iowa, serving for one term.
Mr. White was united in marriage October 20, 1880, to Estella D. Wood, of Dakota City, Nebraska. Three children were born of this union, John W., of Spokane, Washington, and Anna and Edna, of Woodbine, Iowa.
Coming of good old New England stock, yet reared in the great and ever-changing west, Mr. White naturally takes on an air of independence and liberality that makes him a good mixer with his fellow men. Whether in his editorial room, chronicling the events of the day, giving instruction in the lodge room, dealing with public measures as a city official, or at his own home fireside, he has always appeared to be the same true American gentleman, ready to do his full part in life's conflict.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 636, 637 Family Researcher: NA
Silas WILLIAMSON -
The people of Denmark have a world-wide reputation for thrift, industry and sobriety, and better stock for American citizens it would be hard to imagine. Love of the soil is inherent in the sons of Denmark, and Silas Williamson is no exception to the rule.
As has been intimated, Silas Williamson is a native of Denmark, born on September 8, 1862, the son of Anders and Karen M. (Jensdater) Williamson, the former of whom was married twice and was the father of eight children by each marriage, Silas being a son of the second marriage. The parents of Mr. Williamson were farmers in Denmark the father being also a brick mason and goldsmith, which trades he followed in connection with his farming.
Mr. Williamson received a very good common-school education in Denmark, where school attendance between the ages of six and fourteen is compulsory. At the age of nineteen he came to America and located in Missouri Valley, this county, where his sister was living. He worked in the shops of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company for two years, after which he rented land for nine years, gradually accumulating capital until he was enabled to buy eighty acres of land in section 8 of Cincinnati township, where he has lived since. The original eighty has been increased to two hundred and twenty-five fertile acres, which are planted mainly to corn and wheat. Mr. Williamson raises a few cattle, but specializes in hogs, of which he feeds about two car loads each year. All of the live stock on his farm is of an exceptionally high grade.
On January 15, 1892, Mr. Williamson married Helena Hansen, who was born on June 8, 1866, the daughter of John and Engre (Carlsen) Hansen, the former of whom, a farmer, was married twice and was the father of eleven children. Helena Hansen came to America in the same year as did her husband, in December of 1891. To Mr. Williamson and his wife have been born six children, namely: Arthur, who married Nettie J. Foreman; Josie M., Clarence C., Susie B., Loyal W., and Gilbert.
Politics has no great attraction for Mr. Williamson, as he prefers to give his attention to his large agricultural interests, although he votes the Democratic ticket and takes keen interest in all questions vital to the public welfare. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church. Mr. Williamson offers an example of the prosperous, contented farmer, who feels that his life is full if he may do his duty to himself and his neighbors as he feels is right.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 805, 806 Family Researcher: NA