1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Twenty Four
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
James D. STUART -
The career of James D. Stuart, as a druggist, began when he was sixteen years of age and he has been interested in the business ever since. He located at Mondamin, Harrison county, Iowa, in 1881, and lived most of his life since that time in this county. He is a man who is well skilled as a manufacturing chemist and, in fact, devoted all his time for a few years to the manufacture of drugs. He was one of the first graduates of the State Board of Pharmacy in 1882.
James D. Stuart, the son of James and Margaret (Shaw) Stuart, was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, February 8, 1860. There were several children born to his parents, but only three are now living, James D. being the youngest.
James Stuart was born in England in 1813, and was a tailor in his native land until he came to America when he was about forty years of age. He located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and continued to follow his trade until his death, in 1879. His wife was born at Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1823, and died in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in 1864. Her father, Christian Shaw, settled at St. Joseph, Missouri.
James D. Stuart was a graduate of the Council Bluffs high school in the class of 1876 and immediately began his career as a druggist in Council Bluffs. In 1881 he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and settled at Mondamin, where he purchased a small drug store and had charge of it until 1886. In that year he returned to Council Bluffs and engaged in the manufacture of drugs, continuing as a manufacturing chemist until 1893. From 1893 to 1898 he was traveling on the road as a drug salesman, and in 1898 came to Magnolia, in Harrison county, and bought a small stock of drugs. The store was not doing much business when he came here, but under his efficient management he has made it one of the most attractive little drug stores in the county. He carries a good line of drugs, druggists' sundries, candies, etc. He has a good home in Magnolia and owns the business building where he is now located.
Mr. Stuart was married in 1881 to Annie L. Caffall, who was born in 1840 at St. Louis, Missouri, and is a daughter of James and Eliza (Pratt) Caffall, natives of England. Mr. and Mrs. Stuart are the parents of four children, Ethel, Leroy C., Ada and one who died in childhood. Leroy is a banker of Kasson, Minnesota, and Ada is married and lives at Magnolia, Iowa.
Mr. Stuart is a Democrat in politics and takes an intelligent interest in the welfare of his party. During Cleveland's administration he was postmaster at Mondamin and is the present postmaster at Magnolia. He was the first city clerk of Magnolia when the town was incorporated.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 853, 854 Family Researcher: NA
Fred H. SWAN -
Prominent among the representative citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, and pre-eminently distinguished for his ability in carrying to completion private enterprises and enjoying prestige far beyond the limits of the community honored by his residence, Fred H. Swan, a farmer and breeder, of La Grange township, stands out as a clear and conspicuous figure among the successful men of Harrison county. Mr. Swan's good judgement and executive ability have enabled him to succeed far beyond the expectations of most men. He has been honored by the citizens of his township, but his greatest achievements lie in the field of private endeavor.
Fred H. Swan was born at Beebeetown, Harrison county, Iowa, the son of Clark and Kitie (Caswell) Swan, to whom three children were born, Bert, who is deceased; Fred H., the subject of this sketch; and Harriett, who is living with her brother Fred at the present time on account of the death of his wife. She has been a teacher for the past nine years and was four years principal of the third ward school of Missouri Valley.
Clark Swan was born in 1841, near Watertown, New York. He enlisted as a soldier in the Civil War in 1862 and was a cavalryman. At the close of the war he came west and bought eighty acres of land in La Grange township. He added land to the eighty acres and owned farm property in both La Grange and Union township. He farmed until his retirement in 1902 and then moved to Missouri Valley, Iowa, where he lived until his death in 1906. His wife, the mother of the subject, was born in 1934, in Canada. She is now living with her son, Fred H.
Fred H. Swan attended the schools of La Grange township and the Northwest Normal, at Lincoln, Nebraska, for two years. He remained on the farm with his father with whom he was in partnership until his father retired when he took charge of the land. Fred H. Swan now owns one hundred and sixty acres of well-improved land. He employs only the most up-to-date and modern farm machinery, being a great user of gas tractors for plowing. He has made extensive improvements upon his land including a complete water system. In 1909 Mr. Swan began the breeding of thorough-bred Duroc-Jersey hogs and Hereford cattle. He has exhibited these hogs in a great many states and at the state fair at Des Moines, in 1914, he won second prize on a junior yearling. His prize winner is Grand Champion and has always won prizes and sweepstakes at the inter-state fairs. Mr. Swan has between five and six hundred head of hogs and ships them all over the United States for breeding purposes. He is now farming three hundred and twenty acres of land in La Grange township, Harrison county.
Mr. Swan was married in 1901 to Dollie Axtell, who was born in 1882 in Pottawattamie county. She is a daughter of James and Mary (Graham) Axtell, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Illinois. Both are now living at Missouri Valley, Iowa. To this union four children have been born, Frederick, Alice, Clay and one child who died in infancy. The mother died at its birth.
Mr. Swan is a Democrat and was elected township trustee in 1912, the duties of which office he is discharging to the entire satisfaction of the people of La Grange township. His family are members of the Methodist church and active in church work. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. In every respect Fred H. Swan is a representative citizen of Harrison county, and, by virtue of his success as a breeder of thoroughbred stock, is one of the best known farmers in the whole state of Iowa. He is a credit to his community and a credit to the county which gave him birth.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 835, 836, 837 Family Researcher: NA
George RICHARDSON -
One of the pioneer settlers of Harrison county, Iowa, is George Richardson, who is now living a retired life in Missouri Valley. When he came to this county in 1856 the present site of Missouri Valley was a wilderness, and even Council Bluffs was only a small trading place. He has lived to see this county emerge from truly pioneer conditions to its present state of prosperity, and in this transformation he has borne no inconsiderable part. In fact, he has been one of the prominent men in his county, as is shown by the fact that he represented the county several years ago in the state Legislature and made an excellent record in that law-making body. It is a noteworthy fact that he and his good wife have reared a family of thirteen children, all of whom are still living. Mr. Richardson and his wife are one of the oldest married couples in the county and celebrated their golden wedding anniversary several years ago. It seems eminently fitting that the career of this interesting old pioneer be preserved in the annals of his county's history.
George Richardson, the son of Francis and Margaret Richardson, was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, June 13, 1830. His parents lived all of their days in Scotland and George came to America in 1854, locating first in Canada, where he lived two years, at the end of which time, in 1856, he came to Iowa, locating in Harrison county, where he has lived ever since. For fifty-one years he toiled with his good wife and his sturdy sons and daughters as a farmer in this county, and it was not until 1907 that he finally retired from active life and moved to Missouri Valley, where he has since resided. He has given each of his sons one hundred and sixty acres of excellent Harrison county land and still has a fine farm left. He and his estimable wife are now spending their declining years in a fine home in Missouri Valley on North Eighth street.
Mr. Richardson was married in 1856, to Anna Coulthard, who was born in Canada, January 29, 1841. To this union thirteen children were born, all of whom are still living, as follows: Mrs. Margaret Becker, of Missouri Valley; Mrs. Mary Ann Sharpneck, of Los Angeles, California; Mrs. Jeannette Farquhar, of Missouri Valley; Mrs. Hattie Graham, whose husband is a farmer of this county; Agnes, who is living with her parents; Robert, of St. Louis, Missouri; William, who is still at home; Mrs. Carrie Fitzgerald, of Missouri Valley; George, a farmer living four miles west of Missouri Valley; Zella, who is still with her parents; Mrs. Nellie Skinner, of Council Bluffs, Iowa; David, a farmer living six miles from this city, and Nina, who is at home.
Mr. and Mrs. Richardson celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary in 1907. At that time they did not have any great-grandchildren, but at the present time they have twenty grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. It must be a great satisfaction to Mr. Richardson and his wife to have reared such a large family of children, all of whom have become useful members of society. They can look back over a period of nearly sixty years which they have spent in the county and feel that they have not lived in vain.
During the active years of his life Mr. Richardson took a great interest in the civic life of the county. He came to America in the year the Republican party was formed and has always cast his ballot in behalf of the Republican candidates. His party, recognizing his worth as a citizen, nominated and elected him to the state Legislature of Iowa several years ago, and in the Legislature he made a creditable record. He is a man of kindly disposition and charitably inclined towards the faults of others. He has always been willing to help those less fortunate than himself, and many are the acts of kindness which he has done. The family are loyal members of the Presbyterian church, to whose support they have been generous contributors for many years.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 552, 553, 554 Family Researcher: NA
Hugh TAMISIEA, M. D. -
A practicing physician of Missouri Valley, Iowa, since 1902, Dr. Hugh Tamisiea has taken a prominent part in the professional life of the city. One of the best medical schools in the country is connected with the State University of Iowa and this excellent school has turned out hundreds of physicians who have located in all parts of the state, as well as in many other states. Doctor Tamisiea is one of this number and the excellent training which he received in his own state school has been such that his practice from the first was very encouraging.
Dr. Hugh Tamisiea, the son of Xavier and Susanna (Goodman) Tamisiea, was born in Dubuque county, Iowa, February 24, 1870. His father was born in Onondaga county, New York, in 1832, in the old French settlement at that place. His mother was a native of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
Xavier Tamisiea was a farmer and cooper and in October, 1854, went west and located in Dubuque, Iowa, where he lived until 1857, and then attracted by the glowing reports coming out of Kansas, he moved to Leavenworth, but only remained there about one year. The country was not all that it has been pictured and Mr. Tamisiea returned to Iowa and located on Honey Creek in Boomer township, Pottawattamie county, where he lived until 1864, in which year Xavier Tamisiea moved back to Dubuque for a time, but in May, 1870, located four miles south of Missouri Valley, Harrison county, Iowa, where he lived until 1891, then removed to the city of Missouri Valley, where he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring January 10, 1905. Xavier Tamisiea and wife were the parents of nine children, Mrs. Mary Murray, who died in 1907; Anna, who lives with her mother in Missouri Valley; Frank, an attorney at Missouri Valley; Dr. John L., who is practicing with his brother, Hugh; Xavier, Jr., who died in 1906; Dr. Hugh, of Missouri Valley; Mrs. Susie Faith, superintendent of the Harrison county schools; Marie, who died in 1898, and Hattie, who is living with her mother and sister in Missouri Valley.
Dr. Hugh Tamisiea was educated in the public schools of Harrison county, and was graduated from the high school at Missouri Valley, after which he became a student in the normal school at Dixon, Illinois, from which institution he was graduated in 1893. He decided to become a physician, and with this in view entered the Iowa State University, where he was graduated from the medical department in 1902.
Upon completing his medical studies Doctor Tamisiea returned to Missouri Valley, where he has since been associated with his brother, Dr. John L., in the general practice of medicine. He is a member of various fraternal organizations, and of the Harrison County Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Society. He is the city physician and a member of the board of health, as well as president of the board of pension examiners of Harrison county. In politics he gives his hearty support to the Democratic party.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 769, 770 Family Researcher: NA
John L. TAMISIEA, M. D. -
For nearly twenty years Dr. John L. Tamisiea has been practicing medicine in Missouri Valley, Iowa. He taught school for several years and later was graduated from the medical department of Iowa State University, since which time he has been practicing in Missouri Valley. He has been one of the leading practitioners of his city for many years, and that he has more than a local reputation is shown by the fact that he was appointed by Governor Carroll as a member of the state board of health, and was subsequently re-appointed to the same position by the governor. He has taken an active part in the civic life of his city and has served on the city council with credit to himself and satisfaction to his fellow citizens.
Dr. John L. Tamisiea, the son of Xavier and Susanna (Goodman) Tamisiea, was born in Boomer township, Pottawattamie county, Iowa, April 21, 1866. The first member of the Tamisiea family to come to America was John Tamisiea, who was born in De la Creces, France, in 1798, and came to America in 1826. John Tamisiea located in Dubuque, Iowa, and from there went to Harrison county, where he settled about 1856.
Xavier Tamisiea was born in New York state in 1832, his birth occurring in Onondaga county, about twenty miles north of Syracuse, in the old French settlement. He was a farmer and cooper by trade and came west about 1854, locating in Dubuque, Iowa, where he lived until 1857, after which he spent one year in Kansas. He then returned to Iowa, settling in Boomer township, Pottawattamie county, where he resided until 1866. He then removed to Dubuque, where he lived until May, 1870, and in that year located four miles south of Missouri Valley, in Harrison county. He lived on a farm until 1891 and then moved to Missouri Valley, where he died January 10, 1905. Nine children were born to Xavier Tamisiea and wife, Mary, Anna, Frank, John L., Xavier, Jr., Hugh, Susie, Marie and Hattie.
Dr. John L. Tamisiea was educated in the country schools and later attended the high school in Missouri Valley. He spent three and one-half years in the normal school at Cedar Falls, Iowa, and then engaged in public school work. He taught school in Harrison and Pottawattamie counties for five years and was principal of the Mondamin school for three years. He taught in the Harrison county institute for three summers. In the fall of 1893 he entered Iowa State University and was graduated from the medical department in 1896.
As soon as he was graduated from the university, Doctor Tamisiea located in Missouri Valley, where he has since made his home. He has built up a large general practice and he and his brother, Dr. Hugh Tamisiea, are ranked among the ablest physicians of the city. Doctor Tamisiea was appointed by Governor Carroll as a member of the state board of health in 1912, and when the board was reorganized in 1913, he was reappointed by governor Clark, being the only member of the old board to secure reappointment. The term of his office expires in 1916.
Doctor Tamisiea was married June 14, 1900, to Rosa McClannahan, of Mondamin, Iowa, a daughter of J. L. McClannahan, a pioneer settler of that locality. To this union two children have been born, Paul, born 1901, died 1907, and Francis Xavier, born 1907.
Doctor Tamisiea is a member of the Harrison County Medical Association, the Iowa State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He gives his hearty support to the Democratic party and has always taken an intelligent interest in local political affairs. As a member of the city council of Missouri Valley he favors all measures which he feels will be of general benefit to the city.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 760, 761 Family Researcher: NA
Erastus M. TEETERS -
The Teeters family has been represented in Harrison county, Iowa, since 1856, in which year the parents of Erastus M. Teeters first located in this county. Mr. Teeters grew to maturity in Harrison county, and then spent several years in the west as a miner, later returning to Harrison county, where he has since resided. Mr. Teeters has been engaged in general farming and stock raising in the county now for more than forty years and owns some of the best corn land in the United States. He is progressive in all lines and has one of the finest and most modern farms in the county. As he drives over the county now in his automobile he can recall the days in his earlier life when he little thought that he would one day be one of the most substantial farmers of his community.
Erastus M. Teeters, the son of Isaac K. and Elizabeth (Brown) Teeters, was born on March 26, 1856, in Jefferson county, Iowa. His parents were natives of Pennsylvania and came to Iowa early in the history of the state. They located in Harrison county when Erastus was only two months old, taking a homestead of forty acres in Taylor township. Later they bought twenty acres adjoining, on which there was a fine flowing spring, and there they spent the remainder of their lives.
Erastus M. Teeters was the sixth child in order of birth of the twelve born to his parents. He received as good education as was afforded by the country schools of his boyhood days, and early in life began to work on his father's farm. When he was twenty years of age he left home and went west to seek his fortune. He first went to Montana, where he became a miner, and later mined in various of the mountain states. He had varied success and finally returned to Harrison county, making his home with his parents until their deaths. After his marriage he began farming and gradually accumulated a fine farm in Taylor township. In 1914 some of his corn land produced over a hundred bushels of corn to the acre, a remarkable yield, testifying to the fertility of his soil. He also raises considerable stock and feeds a large amount of his corn to stock which he fattens for the market. He has now practically retired from active farm work and rents out his land to responsible tenants, although he still gives it his general supervision.
Mr. Teeters was married on March 26, 1873, to Lizzie Evans, who was born in New York state. Her parents were born in Wales and came to America, locating in New York. Mr. and Mrs. Teeters have three children, two of whom are living, Alice and Inez. Alice, who married George Taylor, a farmer of Taylor township, has one daughter, Edith May. Inez is still living with her parents. The deceased daughter, Jennie, died when she was two years old.
Mr. Teeters is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Mondamin. He joined the new Progressive party upon its organization in 1912, although he has never taken an active part in its councils, preferring to cast his ballot for the best man, irrespective of their political affiliations. Mrs. Teeters is a loyal member of the Baptist church, and while Mr. Teeters is not a member of the church, he gives it his support.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 793, 794 Family Researcher: NA
Frank M. TERRY -
The men who make history for any community are those who are progressive and wide-awake men of affairs, who are able to seize opportunities as they present themselves and with keen judgment to foresee the trend of events and shape their plans accordingly. Such men not only win recognition and success for themselves, but they confer unbounded favors upon those of less discrimination and greatly assist in the progress of civilization. Frank M. Terry, merchant, grain dealer and banker of Little Sioux, is one of the leading men of this section to whose judgment and ability much of the substantial material progress of this vicinity is due. He has steadily pressed forward to the goal of his ambitions and is well worthy of the trust imposed in him by those who know him.
Frank M. Terry is a native of the state of Illinois, born on July 9, 1850, in DeKalb county in the little town of Shabbona, the son of Phineas B. and Isabelle (Erwin) Terry, both of whom were natives of the state of New York. Subject was one of a family of four children, being the eldest, the others being Prosper H., Erastus J. and Josephine, who became the wife of M. Bassett. Frank Terry's mother died when he was but eight years old and the father chose for his second wife Sarah A. Seymour. In 1864 they started on the over-land trail for California, taking the entire family, but only got as far as Salt Lake City, where they located for a couple of years. In 1866 they started back east and on the 19th of September of that year they arrived in Little Sioux, finishing their journey at that point. The father had acquired property in Salt Lake City and this he traded for three hundred and sixty acres of land located near Little Sioux where he passed the remainder of his days. He became one of the leading citizens of this community, taking an active part in all that made for the public welfare, and left a large circle of friends at the time of his death on August 8, 1888. He was a stanch Republican and took an active interest in political affairs of this section, serving as township trustee for several years. He was a devoted member of the Ancient Order of Freemasonry and had made good progress in this work. He first became a member of the order while residing in Illinois and after locating permanently in this state he brought his demit to Magnolia lodge and later became one of the charter members of Little Sioux lodge. He was not a member of any religious body, although he ordered his life in accordance with the teachings of Holy Writ and possibly leaned most strongly toward the teachings of the Universalist church. By his second wife Mr. Terry's father had five children, Ettie E., who married Silas C. Setchell; Cora E., who married Joseph Schiller; Seymour B., Richard M. and Bertha P., who became the wife of Justin R. Perkins.
Frank M. Terry remained under the parental roof until he was of age, assisting the father in the work about the homestead where his first independent effort was the farming of a tract of land which he rented for two or three years. By that time he had decided that farming was not to be his life vocation, and came to Little Sioux where he secured a clerkship in the store of M. Murry. There he worked for seven years when at the end of that time Mr. Murry admitted a partner to his business. This, however, did not interfere with the subject'' connection with the firm, which he served for another seven years. On September 12, 1892, Mr. Terry purchased a stock of general merchandise and opened up a cash store in Little Sioux. The stock represented an outlay of one thousand dollars, two hundred and fifty of which amount he borrowed. That was in reality the beginning of his business career, his years of service having been really years of training and preparation. He has been gradually winning success in his undertaking, has increased his stock, owns his own land and building and also his residence property. In 1894 he became a buyer of grain in a small way and has succeeded so well in this undertaking that he is now the leading grain dealer of Little Sioux. When he first engaged in this commission business he was known as the �scoop shovel buyer,� owing to the fact that he unloaded his grain from wagons to the cars with a scoop shovel. However, he now has a portable elevator and all modern methods for handling his steadily growing business, which in the year 1912 amounted to one hundred and seven cars.
In addition to his general merchandise and grain business, Mr. Terry is one of the main stockholders of the Little Sioux Savings Bank, which institution he also serves as president and director. He was one of the organizers and charter members of the Inter-State Telephone Company and is vice-president and director of that concern, also serving as manager of the Little Sioux telephone exchange. He is also a considerable land owner, having two hundred and forty acres in South Dakota and adjoining his tract his wife holds in her name an equal acreage.
On September 2, 1871, Mr. Terry was united in marriage to Sarah A. Mitchell, born on April 4, 1852, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Edwin M. Mitchell and wife, both of whom were natives of England. To Mr. and Mrs. Terry were born four children, all of whom, together with the subject of this sketch, survived her at her death on March 16, 1888. Amy E., the eldest of the family, was born on November 17, 1877, and became the wife of L. L. Reynolds, the present efficient postmaster of Little Sioux. To them has been born one child, Irene, who first saw the light of day on March 8, 1897. Bennett M., the oldest son of Frank M. Terry, was born August 17, 1879. He chose as his wife Myrtle Byers, who was born January 16, 1883. They make their home in Little Sioux where he is associated with his father in his business ventures. To them has come one child, Paul M., born May 11, 1905. Irving E. was born on August 19, 1882, and resides in Logan, this state, where he is manager of the Logan Department Store. His wife was Dora Murry, of Little Sioux, and to them have been born two sons, Joseph F., born June 26, 1905, and Donald, born January 11, 1907. Charles A., the youngest of the family, was born on October 2, 1886. He remains at home with his father and is interested with him in the store and grain business.
On October 21, 1889, Mr. Terry again led a bride to the altar, the lady being Miss Laura Stewart, who was born May 17, 1862, in this state, near Missouri Valley. She is the daughter of Thomas F. and Mary J. (Tull) Stewart, her father having been a soldier in the Civil War. He enlisted on November 5, 1864, in Company E, Thirteenth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and died while in service, his body being buried at Nashville. He was a devoted member of the order of Free and Accepted Masons and was a charter member of the first lodge of that order in Harrison county, which received its charter at Magnolia. He was one of the seekers after wealth who heard the call of the golden siren and journeyed to California in 1849. When the family first came west they crossed the Missouri river near the present site of Council Bluffs and took a homestead claim on the beautiful eminence now known as Capitol Hill, and where the city of Omaha now stands, but because of constant harassing by the Indians then abounding in these parts, they were compelled to abandon their charming location. It was in 1854 or 1855 that the family arrived in this county, where they have since made their home.
Mr. Terry attends the Methodist Episcopal church, as does also his family, and all are interested in the welfare of the local society, giving liberally of time and means to further its interests. Mr. Terry has always endorsed the principles of the Republican party, as do also his sons. He has taken a keen interest in local affairs and has served both as township trustee and township clerk at various times, giving a satisfactory administration in both offices. By his activities Mr. Terry has proven that he is a man of good business ability, strict integrity and broad sympathies. He is numbered among the representative men of this section and because of his genuine worth and high personal character he enjoys an enviable reputation in this community where he has long made his home.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 863, 864, 865, 866 Family Researcher: NA
Josiah H. TUFLY -
Raglan township, Harrison county, Iowa, boasts of many good farmers, and among them should be mentioned Josiah H. Tufly, who has been a resident of this county since 1858. His parents were pioneer settlers in the county and he himself has been a witness of the wonderful growth of this county. During his boyhood days he underwent all of the hardships and privations incident to life in a new country.
Josiah H. Tufly, son of Josiah and Margaret Tufly, was born in Washington county, Missouri, April 25, 1857. His parents were natives of Switzerland and Alsace-Loraine, France, respectively. His father was a carpenter and farmer in his native land and came to the United States about 1840. Mr. Tufly's parents were not married until after they came to this country, his mother coming here a year or so after his father's arrival. Josiah Tufly, Sr., and his wife located in Harrison county in 1858, at which time very few settlers located. They reared a family of eight children, of whom Josiah H. was the sixth in order of birth.
The education of Josiah H. Tufly was received in Harrison county. During his boyhood days he helped his father on the farm and lived at home until he was thirty-three years of age. He then married and rented the home farm for two years, after which he bought a farm adjoining the city of Modale, but did not like living so close to town, and five years later traded his first farm for one hundred and twenty acres in Raglan township. The farm was poorly improved when he acquired it, but he has since built a nine room modern house, and a large barn, thirty-two by forty feet. The farm is beautifully situated in the hills and is well named the �Elm Grove Farm.� By devoting himself to general farming and stock raising Mr. Tufly has been able to make a very comfortable living for himself and family, and is ranked among the leading farmers of his community.
Mr. Tufly was married February 20, 1890, to Emma J. Arbaugh. She was born in Harrison county, Iowa, and is a daughter of Jacob W. and Jerrendine (Riley) Arbaugh, natives of Indiana and Ohio, respectively. To this union have been born three children, Beryl M., Lloyd D. and George D.
Mr. Tufly is a Republican and a stanch supporter of the principles and policies of that party. He has never aspired to other office except that of school director, a position which he held for three years. Mrs. Tufly is a member of the Christian church and Mr. Tufly is a supporter of that denomination. He is a musician of more than local reputation and has played the cornet in the Modale and Magnolia bands. He is also a violinist and takes a great deal of pleasure in his music.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 869, 870 Family Researcher: NA
Ross McLAUGHLIN -
One of the youngest membes of the Harrison County bar is Ross McLAUGHLIN, who has been engaged in the practice of the legal
profession in Missouri Valley since 1910. He has lived in this city since he was 14 years of age and, consequently, has spent the greater portion of his
life in this county. A graduate of the University of Nebraska, he is a young man of broad classical, as well as legal, education and well merits the success which has come to him as the result of his efforts. He is now filling the responsible position of county attorney and is administering the duties of this office in a very satisfactory manner.
Ross McLaughlin, son of James Ross and Anna (Roller) McLaughlin, was born at Blair, Nebraska, May 7, 1881. His parents were both natives of Ohio,
his father coming west about 1880 and locating at Windsor, Nebraska, where he lived two or three years. He then removed to Blair, Nebraska, where he
remained until 1895, at which time he removed to Missouri Valley. James R. McLaughlin is a railway mail clerk running out of Omaha. He and his wife
are the parents of four children, three of whom are living: Blanche of New York City; Mrs. T. P. Welsh of Waterloo, Iowa; and Ross of Missouri Valley.
The elementary education of Ross McLaughlin was received in the schools of Blair, Nebraska, and his high school training in the schools of Missouri
Valley, where he graduated in 1901. He spent the next five years in the University of Nebraska, taking two years of regular college work and three years in the law department, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, in the spring of 1906. He was admitted to the bar of the State of Nebraska in the
same year and, in the following year, was admitted to the practice of law in all courts in the State of Iowa. He spent two years in the county clerk's office as deputy clerk of Harrison County, and in 1910 began the active practice of his profession in Missouri Valley. He entered into partnership with J. S. DEWELL, a well-known attorney of this place. Mr. McLaughlin took the office of county attorney on January 1, 1913. he was nominated for this office by the Republicans of Harrison County and was subsequently elected to this position. As this is a two-year office, his term expired on January 1, 1915. He
enforced the law against all offenders impartially and gave universal satisfaction as a prosecutor. Later he was re-elected to the same office
Mr. McLaughlin was married on September 19, 1912, to Marion SHEPARD of Logan, Iowa, a daughter of F. A. SHEPARD. He is a member of the Ancient
Free and Accepted Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Loyal Order of Moose, and the Modern Woodmen of
America. While in college, he was a member of the Greek letter fraternity of Kappa Sigma and Theta Nu Epsilon, and was also elected as a member of
the honorary law fraternity, Phi Delta Phi, which is sufficient indication that his work in the law department at the University of Nebraska was of a high
standard. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 880-881 Family Researcher: NA