1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Twenty Two
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
David SELLECK -
Whoever has lived within the central or eastern portion of Harrison county for any considerable number of years must of necessity be well acquainted with this family name, for it is a common one, especially in and near Woodbine, where the head of the family settled in the month of March, 1855. The land selected and purchased by David Selleck was situated in the beautiful Boyer valley, described as sections 11 and 12 of Boyer township, just above the present sprightly town of Woodbine. He also claimed land in sections 1, 2 and 3 of the same township and range. This large tract of land, bought at government prices with gold kept in a belt about his body while en route to the country and to the land office at Council Bluffs, was kept in his name and that of his sons and daughters so long as he lived. It includes most of the present �Gene� Selleck, Champ Selleck and Charles Mincy farms, and is counted as valuable as any of the famous valley.
David Selleck was a native of Ashtabula county, Ohio, born April 28, 1820. He remained on his father's dairy farm until sixteen years of age, then clerked for his uncle in New York City two years, learning the rudiments of a large mercantile business. Returning from city life, he remained in his native county and state until 1838, during which time he visited Iowa, and about 1841 came to Lee county, this state, locating near Fort Madison. On March 14, 1849, he married Marie Morey and after spending one year in Ohio they went to La Salle county, Illinois. Coming to Harrison county in the spring of 1855, David Selleck entered his land and returned for his little family, which arrived here with him in October following. He found but few settlers to greet him, and many of these were of the Mormon band. In the summer of 1856 he helped burn one of the first kilns of brick in the county, intending to build a brick house, but did not, covering a basement he had made with a roof instead, and in that �dugout� spent the never-to-be-forgotten winter of 1856-57, one of the most severe, snowy and intensely cold of any since Iowa was known to white men. He later erected two frame farm houses upon his home place, both of which still stand-one as a barn and the other the two-story house overlooking the valley, in which he lived and died, a happy, contented farmer and stock raiser.
Politically, Mr. Selleck was a stanch Republican. He never sought or held public office, save township positions, but believed in good government and voted with that end in view, his last vote for President being for the lamented William McKinley.
Mr. and Mrs. Selleck were the parents of eight children. One died in infancy and the others were: Albert Eugene, who died in 1913; George W., of St. James, Minnesota; Caroline M. (Mrs. Ed Lewis), of Seattle, Washington; Mary J. (Mrs. Matter-Clark), of Woodbine; Augustus C., of Council Bluffs; Elizabeth B. (Mrs. Charles Mincy), who lives near Woodbine, and Abbie M., of Los Angeles, California.
David Selleck, the honored father, stood for all that was elevating and good in the community. His word was like a gold bond. His friends were on every hand. He despised trickery and dishonor, but befriended and aided all in distress or need. The latch-string of his pioneer home was always hanging out and all were welcome. He was a great lover of the quiet retreat of his own home and cared little for gay and festive throngs. He would rather entertain than be entertained. After going through the hardships of pioneer days, he accumulated a handsome property, but was never idle, preferring to labor as long as his strength would permit. Finally, in the summer of 1901, on August 19, the sands of an eventful, noble life ran low and his spirit passed to other realms. His good wife and companion for more than a half century survived until February, 1910, when she, too, passed on from earthly scenes.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 634, 635 Family Researcher: NA
Frank E. SELLERS -
It is a pleasure to consider the career of a successful, self-made man. Peculiar honor attaches to that individual who,beginning the great struggle of life alone and unaided, gradually overcomes all obstacles in his pathway of success and by the master strokes of his own force and vitality, succeeds in forging to the front and winning for himself a competency and a position of esteem and influence among his fellowmen. Thus, in a few words, might be stated the salient points in the career of one of Dunlap's most prominent citizens, the late Frank E. Sellers, who was a successful druggist of that town. Mr. Sellers passed away March 16, 1915. He was a man who enjoyed more than ordinary popularity in Dunlap and vicinity, and was well loved by the poor, to whom throughout his life he showed an affectionate and fatherly interest. Now that Mr. Sellers is gone, his passing is mourned by scores of people, as has been that of few residents of this part of Harrison county within the past two or three decades.
Frank E. Sellers was a native of the state of Illinois, his birth occurring in Warren county, March 16, 1866. He was the youngest son of Thomas J. and Eliza (Richardson) Sellers. Thomas J. Sellers was a native of Ireland, and from him no doubt, his son inherited much of his native ability and genial manners which readily won for him so many friends. Mrs. Eliza Sellers was a Hoosier by birth.
Thomas J. Sellers, the father of Frank E., emigrated to America with his parents when he was in his fifth year. The family located in Warren county, Illinois, and there Thomas J. grew to manhood and passed the best years of his life. Late in life he removed to Ottumwa, Iowa, and there his death occurred. His widow is still living, and to her the subject of this brief review was always very much devoted. Frank E. Sellers had but one brother, George, who now resides at Pipestone, Minnesota.
The late Frank E. Sellers received his early education in the common schools of Warren county, Illinois. He finished his formal education at the age of thirteen years, but his education proper did not stop when he ceased to attend school. He supplemented the information he had acquired up to that time with prodigous home study, and at the time of his death was a well-informed man, keenly alert to all modern-day problems, civic, social and commercial.
At the age of fourteen, Mr. Sellers became connected with the business which was to become his life vocation. At that time he obtained a clerkship in a drug store at Alexis, Illinois, and here he remained for some time, acquiring an excellent knowledge of pharmacy, and the successful operation of a drug store. Subsequently Mr. Sellers spent some time working in Minnesota, and still later he removed to Nebraska, where he worked for a time. Not being satisfied, however, with the opportunities either in Minnesota or Nebraska, he came to Iowa, and for four years lived at Walnut. Later he spent ten years in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Eleven years ago Mr. Sellers came to Dunlap, and opened a drug store, which, at the time of his death, had come to be known as the best drug store in this part of Harrison county. Mr. Sellers had built up a large and lucrative business, and until his death, gave this business his personal attention at all times.
Frank E. Sellers was twice married, his first wife being Nina Pritchard, the daughter of Alec and Mary A. Pritchard, of Shelby county, Iowa, and to this union was born one daughter, Edna May. Mrs. Sellers died during the time the family was residing at Council Bluffs, and Mr. Sellers subsequently married Grace Dean, the daughter of Horace and Electa (Pelham) Dean, the former a veteran of the Civil War. The Dean family came originally from Clinton county, Iowa. Later they resided at Westside, where all the children were born. Aside from Mrs. Sellers, there are two other daughters, Mrs. E. H. Barrett and Mrs. Michael Barrett, the former of Omaha, and the latter of Logan, Iowa. Mr. Sellers' second marriage was without issue.
As might have been expected of a man of Mr. Sellers' genial nature, his fraternal affiliations were numerous. In the work of the various orders of which he was a member he took more than a passing interest. He was affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons through the local lodge at Dunlap. His membership in the Knights of Pythias was held at Council Bluffs. He was also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Council Bluffs, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America at Dunlap. Mr. Sellers was identified with the Republican party throughout his life, and always manifested a keen interest at the outcome of its campaigns, although he himself was not an aspirant for office at any time during his life.
Frank E. Sellers was eminently successful as a business man, and had the distinction of living in the finest residence of which the town of Dunlap boasts. Shortly before his death he purchased a farm which was formerly owned by the late Jasper O. Banyan, which contains eighty acres, located about two and one-half miles north of Dunlap. This farm is now known as one of the finest farms in Crawford county, Iowa.
The career of Mr. Sellers furnished an excellent example of that peculiar American product - the self-made man. His life can well stand as an incentive to ambitious and struggling young men. His kindly disposition won him a large circle of friends by whom he was held in high esteem. He was a man of strong and active sympathies, his temperament was warm and ardent; his feeling deep and intense. These and other attractive characteristics unconsciously drew to him an unusual number of devoted friends, upon whom under all circumstances he could rely, and who now that he has passed from earthly scenes, revere his memory. He was a close student of human nature and comprehended with little effort the motives and purposes of men. He was always a lover of truth and sincerity. In brief, he will be remembered as a manly man of pleasing but dignified presence, a diligent student and an influential man in the circles in which he moved. Of sound character and unflagging energy he stood as a conspicuous example of symmetrically developed American manhood.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 884, 885, 886 Family Researcher: NA
John H. SHARPNACK -
One of the pioneer citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, is John H. Sharpnack, who was born in this county three years before the opening of the Civil War, and has spent his whole life here, with the exception of two years when he lived in Oklahoma. He has been a general farmer and stock raiser all of his life and now owns a fine farm, on which he raises as good crops as any farmer in the county. Mr. Sharpnack has many interesting stories to tell of pioneer days in the county. When a mere youth he began to learn to play the fiddle and he recalls the times when he and J. H. Tuffley played for the country dances. He has always been fond of music and still plays his fiddle with his old-time vigor.
John H. Sharpnack, the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Anderson) Sharpnack, was born on April 18, 1858, in Clay township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents, who were natives of West Virginia, in the spring of 1857 came to Harrison county, where they bought eighty acres of land for one dollar and a quarter an acre, and lived in this county the remainder of their lives, with the exception of two years, 1889-90, during which time they resided in Oklahoma. Henry Sharpnack was a Democrat and an enthusiastic supporter of his party. He never held a county office, although he was a township official for many years.
John H. Sharpnack was one of six children born to his parents. He received his education in Clay township and lived on the parental farm until he was married. From the time he was nineteen years of age his father always gave him a share of the crops. The same year in which he was married, 1889, he went with his young wife and parents to Oklahoma, where he entered one hundred and sixty acres of government land. They lived there two years in order to prove up their claim and then returned to Harrison county. Mr. Sharpnack at once bought three hundred and twenty acres of land in sections 25, 26, 27 and 30 of Clay township and has lived on this farm ever since. He later sold all but forty acres of the farm and bought one hundred and sixty acres in sections 23 and 26. He also has disposed of his Oklahoma land. His farm is well improved, and under his skillful management yields satisfactory returns year after year.
Mr. Sharpnack was married on March 20, 1889, to Agnes Young, who was born on March 23, 1861, in Omaha, Nebraska, a daughter of William and Lydia (Lee) Young, natives of Ayrshire, Scotland, and Tompkins county, New York, respectively.
It is thought that William Young came to America about 1856. He was a farmer and went to Knox county, Illinois, after coming to this country and later removed to Minnesota. The parents of Lydia Lee moved from Tompkins county, New York, to Wyoming county, New York, and lived there until she was fifteen years of age. They then moved to Knox county, Illinois, where they spent the remainder of their lives. After the death of her parents, Lydia Lee went to Fillmore county, Minnesota, with her brother and sister, and there met William Young. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Young started to Pike's Peak, but only got as far as Omaha, Nebraska, where they decided to forego their trip on account of the trouble with the Indians in the west. In 1864 they came to Harrison county and located where the present town of Modale is now located. A year later they moved on to a farm in Cincinnati township, where they spent the remainder of their lives. To Mr. and Mrs. Sharpnack were born three children, two daughters and one son, all of whom died in infancy.
Mr. Sharpnack has been a life-long Democrat, and has held various official positions. He was trustee of Clay township for many terms, giving universal satisfaction in the discharge of the duties connected with this important position. He and his wife are members of the Spiritualist church. Mr. Sharpnack is a man of genial disposition and one of the real pioneers of the county, having been a witness of its growth from the earliest days. He is highly regarded in the township where he has spent practically his whole life, and few citizens are better acquainted throughout the county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 774, 775, 776 Family Researcher: NA
William A. SHIELDS, D. V. S. -
A good veterinary surgeon is a most valuable asset to every farming community, and in the person of Dr. William A. Shields, of Logan, Iowa, is found a man who is rapidly forging to the front in this profession. It has only been within the past quarter of a century that veterinary science has become recognized as a distinct profession, and now there are many colleges giving courses in veterinary science. Doctor Shields is a graduate of an excellent veterinary school and during the past six years has rapidly come to the front as a very successful practitioner in the treatment of animal diseases.
William A. Shields, the son of Timothy and Mary (McCarthy) Shields, was born in 1886, in Magnolia township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents reared a family of three children, Dr. William A., who is the eldest of the family; Edward A., who is a construction iron worker now in Texas, and Nellie, who, after graduating from the Logan high school and the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, became a teacher in the public schools of Logan. Later she married and now lives in San Francisco, California.
Timothy Shields was born in Decatur, Iowa, in 1860. He was reared on a farm and remained at home until he was about seventeen years of age. He then came to Logan, Iowa, and commenced to work in a blacksmith shop, learning the trade. About five years later he left the shop and engaged in farming in Harrison county, but after six years on the farm he moved to Woodbine and opened a blacksmith shop. Three years later he sold his shop in Woodbine and moved to Logan, where he is still operating a shop. The wife of Timothy Shields was born in Canada in 1864.
Dr. William A. Shields attended the Logan high school and in 1906 entered the Kansas City Veterinary College. He took the complete three years' course, and after graduating, in the spring of 1909, located in Logan for the practice of his profession. In 1912, when the use of hog serum was in its infancy, Doctor Shields began the work of vaccination for hog cholera. He was the only veterinary in the county who could administer the serum successfully, and in that year he vaccinated no less than twenty-five thousand head of hogs. His reputation as a veterinary surgeon has extended beyond the limits of his own county and he is frequently called into consultation to different parts of the state. He is a member of the Veterinary Association of Missouri Valley, Iowa.
Doctor Shields was married in 1909 to Nellie M. Bowen, who was born in 1887, in Harrison county, and is a daughter of Edward and Fannie (Vore) Bowen, early settlers in the county. Doctor Shields and his wife have one son, William C., who was born in 1912.
Doctor Shields has a beautiful home in the northern part of Logan, which he built at a cost of twenty-three hundred dollars. He is independent in politics and votes for the best man irrespective of his political affiliations. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Shields is still a young man and has only fairly started in his chosen life work. The success, however, which has attended his efforts thus far indicates that he has a useful as well as a prosperous career before him in the county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 857, 858 Family Researcher: NA
August SIEBELS -
The raising of blooded stock in Iowa has recently received a great stimulus and Iowa farmers are coming into a realization of the value of a high grade of stock as compared to the inferior grade of animals. Harrison county has had more than its share in arousing this stimulus as this county is famous all over the state for its high grade of cattle. One of the men who is responsible for this enviable reputation, is August Siebels, who not only rears full-blooded Shorthorn cattle, but also has a number of high grade hogs and horses. Mr. Siebels is typical of the successful farmer who started with comparatively nothing. He worked for some years as a farm hand but, with a definite purpose in view, that of owning and cultivating his own land. His ambition has been fully realized.
August Siebels was born on November 25, 1867 in Scott county, Iowa. He was the son of Henry and Katherine (Cornelius) Siebels, and is one of a family of ten children of whom five boys are still living. Mr. Siebels' father, who was a native of Germany, was born in 1832. At the age of twenty he emigrated to America and located in Scott county, Iowa. For some time he worked as a blacksmith at Davenport, Iowa, and a few years later went to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and began the cultivation of the soil, buying land and improving it. He farmed until 1885, when he retired and moved to Minden where he now makes his home. His wife, who was born in Germany, in 1832, came to America with her parents, at the age of sixteen. She died in January, 1914.
August Siebels was reared on his father's farm and attended the district schools of Pottawattamie county. He early decided to own his own land, and at the age of seventeen, began working as a farm hand and saving his money. Four years later he rented two hundred and forty acres of land from his father, which he cultivated for seven years and saved his money, and finally bought the land which he had been renting. This land was located in Washington township, Harrison county; at the time he left it was well improved. He sold his property in 1907, and moved to Woodbine, Iowa, where he established a mercantile business, and later bought and sold live stock. During his residence in Woodbine, he had bought a farm in Jefferson township, known as the Charles Hunt farm, and in 1913, he moved to the country to resume the tilling of the soil. At the time of occupation, the place was unimproved, but Mr. Siebels has built a hay and cattle barn, has made great progress in establishing a thoroughly modern home and, in all, the improvements on the place amount to the respectable sum of seven thousand dollars. Mr. Siebels has accumulated two hundred and forty-eight acres of land of which twenty acres are in natural timber.
August Siebels was married in 1888, to Maggie Schroder, who was born in Germany, in 1868, and came to America when she was about seventeen years of age. August and Maggie (Schroder) Siebels are the parents of ten children, Mrs. Clara Snyder, of Woodbine, Iowa; Lulu; Adolph; August; Harry; Kathrine; Anna; Claude; Carl, all of whom are at home; and Emma, who died in infancy.
The political adherence of Mr. Siebels is given to the Democratic party, on which ticket he was at one time elected trustee of Washington township. Mr. Siebels and his family are stanch members of the German Lutheran church and Mr. Siebels' life is evidence of the fact that his whole life is dominated by a quiet and sincere faith. Mr. Siebels belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. When it is remembered that he began working at an early age and has attained his present success, only by the pursuit of a definite aim, it becomes plain that Mr. Siebels has fully earned the prosperity which he enjoys today.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 980, 981, 982 Family Researcher: NA
Clifford A. SILSBY -
Jackson township, Harrison county, Iowa, was the first township in the county to be settled, and one of the earliest families were the Silsbys. The located there in 1868 when the father of Clifford A. Silsby came to this county, following an honorable career in the Civil War. Mr. Silsby has engaged in general farming and stock raising with more than ordinary success, as is shown by his well-improved farm of two hundred and twenty acres in Little Sioux township.
Clifford A. Silsby was born February 17, 1869, in Harrison county, Iowa, a son of Asaph M. and Abigail (Clifford) Silsby, natives of Vermont and Essex county, New York, respectively. His father was a cabinet make and wheelwright by trade while living in the east, but after coming to Harrison county, Iowa, he engaged in farming and stock raising. The Silsbys are of English descent, the first members of the family coming to America being three brothers, who located in this county about 1760. All three brothers served in the Revolutionary War, one of them being an officer. Asaph M. Silsby was a member of the Eighty-third Regiment New York Infantry and served throughout the Civil War. His health was very seriously impaired, owing to the exposure in the field, and he was confined to the hospital for much of the time that he was in the war. In 1868 he came to Jackson township, in this county, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of government land along the Soldier river, where he lived until 1893, in which year he moved to Arkansas, and later to Jewell county, Kansas, where he now lives.
Clifford A. Silsby is one of ten children born to his parents, four sons and six daughters constituting the family. He lived at home until he was married at the age of twenty-three. He then rented a farm in Allen township, where he lived for three years, and for the next five years rented land in Little Sioux township. In 1895 he bought forty acres of land in the northeastern part of Little Sioux township, and three years later bought eighty acres more. In 1900 he added another one hundred acres, so that he now has two hundred and twenty acres in one tract. In 1908 he built a fine barn and since then he has added other outbuildings, granaries, etc., until his farm now is well equipped to take care of a large amount of live stock. In 1912 Mr. Silsby built a large twelve-room modern home, in which he has furnace heat, gas light and water works and every modern convenience which the housewife could desire. In fact, he now has one of the finest country homes in the county, and an equipment which places him among the first rank of farmers in his county. He raises live stock and gives particular attention to the breeding of Shorthorn cattle, while all of the other stock which he raises is high grade.
Mr. Silsby was married February 16, 1892, to Amy J. Beecham, who was born in Jackson township, this county, June 9, 1871, a daughter of James and Hattie (Cobb) Beechman. Her parents were natives of New Brunswick, Canada, and Pennsylvania, respectively, and came to Harrison county about 1865. Her father had been in the Civil War and was with General Sherman on his march from Atlanta to the sea.
To Clifford A. and Amy J. (Beecham) Silsby have been born three children, two of whom are living, Gladys, born July 13, 1899, who will graduate from Pisgah high school in 1916, and Burnham, born August 2, 1902. Vivian, who was born March 29, 1895, died February 11, 1911. The family are members of the church of the Latter-Day Saints and deeply interested in its welfare. Mr. Silsby is a Democrat, but while taking an intelligent interest in political matters, has never been an aspirant for office. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Silsby ranks high among the most enterprising and progressive farmers of the county, and his farm is a glowing tribute to his success in his chosen life work.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 608, 609 Family Researcher: NA
John O. SILSBY -
One of the best known farmer of Allen township, Harrison county, Iowa, is John O. Silsby, who has been a resident of Harrison county since 1868. His parents were among the earliest pioneer settlers of the county, and lived here practically all of their lives, after coming here in 1868. The family have been prominent in the history of the county and have always stood for its best interests along every line. Mr. Silsby lived in Monona county, just north of Harrison county, for three years, but with the exception of that short period, has spent all of his life in Harrison county, since his parents first located here. He has been unusually successful in all of his agricultural operations, as is shown by his present well improved farm of five hundred and sixty acres, in Allen township.
John O. Silsby, the son of A. Milton and Abigail (Clifford) Silsby, was born on November 30, 1866, in Essex county, New York. His parents were natives of Vermont and New York, respectively, and came to Harrison county in July, 1868, locating in the Soldier valley, in Jackson township. His parents made their home in this county until 1894, when they moved to Arkansas, where they only lived three years, moving from that state to Burr Oak, Jewel county, Kansas, where the father is still living. The mother died on April 6, 1912. Milton Silsby was a soldier in the Civil War, serving in a New York regiment. He was a Democrat and active in his party during the early history of Harrison county. He held many township offices while a resident of this county.
John O. Silsby was one of ten children born to his parents and the eldest son. He was only two years of age when his parents located here and, consequently, received all of this education in the schools of this county. He remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age, and then rented land for two years. Following this, he bought one hundred and forty acres, in Spring Valley township, Monona county. He remained there for about three years. He disposed of his farm there, and bought one hundred and sixty acres in Allen township until the spring of 1915, when he retired to Pisgah, his property, however, is still under his supervision. As he has been able, from year to year, he has added to his original holdings and now has five hundred and sixty acres, located in sections 18 and 19, of Allen township. In the summer of 1898, he built his present commodious house of eleven rooms and since then has added many modern conveniences to it on the farm. He has large barns, extensive granaries and all of the buildings which are demanded by the twentieth-century farmer. In many respects, his farm is one of the best improved in the township, and few farmers in the county have met with a greater measure of success in all lines. He is an extensive stock raiser and averages about three carloads of hogs and four carloads of cattle each year, which always bring the highest market price.
Mr. Silsby was married on March 25, 1890, to May M. Oviatt. She was born in Taylor township, Harrison county, January 22, 1872, and is a daughter of Horatio and Lucia (Benedict) Oviatt, both of whom were natives of Vermont. The parents of Mrs. Silsby were early settlers in Harrison county, where they located about 1858. Her father was a carpenter and bricklayer by trade, but later engaged in farming. Her parents are now both deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Silsby are the parents of seven children all of whom are still single and living at home, except Ithiel E., who was born on February 28, 1891, a graduate of the Woodbine Normal School, he married Ethel Barsby, of Woodbine, a graduate of the same class with her husband. They now live on the old home farm; Harold L., born on November, 21, 1895, a bookkeeper in the bank at Pisgah; Milton H., born on September 22, 1898; Hazel, born on August 4, 1900; Conley D., born on January 13, 1908; Lyle A., born on September 8, 1909, and Ila A., born on March 14, 1913.
Mr. Silsby is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He gives his support to the Democratic party and has been frequently honored by positions at the hands of his party. He has served as treasurer, clerk and trustee of Allen township and has held other minor positions to the entire satisfaction of his fellow citizens. The family are loyal members of the Methodist Episcopal church and generous contributors to its support. Mr. Silsby is vice-president of the Pisgah Savings Bank and a director of the Harrison County Mutual Insurance Company. The family have long been among the most prominent of Allen township, and none in the township stand in higher esteem.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 918, 919, 920 Family Researcher: NA
John F. SMALL -
It is not an easy task to describe adequately a man who has led an eminently active and busy life and who has attained a position of relative distinction in the community with which his interests are allied, but biography finds its most perfect justification, nevertheless, in the tracing and recording of such a life history. It is then with a full appreciation of all that is demanded in the painstaking scrutiny that must be accorded each statement that the writer essays the task of touching briefly upon the details of such a record as has been that of John F. Small, the honorable subject of this sketch.
John F. Small, the manage of the grain elevator at Persia, Harrison county, Iowa, was born April 27, 1860, in Lee county, Illinois the son of William and Mary (Landers) Small, the former born in 1822 in the state of Maine. William Small was a sailor for seven and one-half years on the schooner �Congress.� In 1857 he moved to Lee county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. He owned land there, but sold out and came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1876. He bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Cass township, on which he made many improvements and set out a fine grove of trees. He farmed until his retirement in 1889, when he moved to Persia, where he died one year later. His wife, Mary Landers, the mother of our subject, was born in 1822 in New Brunswick, Canada, the daughter of John and Mary (Griffen) Landers. Her fathr was a soldier in the War of 1812. He also was a minister in the Baptist church and later in the church of the Latter-Day Saints. He was married twice, his first wife being the mother of Mrs. Small. John Landers died in 1896 at the age of ninety-eight at Lomona, Iowa, and his wife died in 1823.
William and Mary (Landers) Small were the parents of ten children: James W., deceased; William L., who lives at Hope, Idaho; Judson, a retired business man, of Leavenworth, Kansas; Alfred, who lives at Hope, Idaho; Charles, deceased; John F., the subject of this sketch; Alexander, deceased; Julia C., who lives in Cass township, Harrison county, Iowa; Mary, deceased , and Mrs. Ellen Sprinkle, who lives in Harrison county.
John F. Small was reared on the farm and attended the district schools and the public schools of Creston, Illinois. He worked and farmed for his father until 1882, and then bought eighty acres of land in Harrison county, Iowa, on which he started to farm for himself, and on which he made the first improvements. He built a house and barn and made other important improvements. Later he sold this farm and traded in live stock for a number of years. In 1899 he became engaged with the Neola Elevator Company of Persia, Iowa, buying and selling grain for this company. He is now the manager of the company at Persia.
John F. Small was married in 1882 to Etta D. Tripp, who was born in 1864 at Niles, Michigan, a daughter of Nelson and Martha (Richardson) Tripp, the former a native of New York and a carpenter by trade, who came to Iowa in 1874. He engaged in farming in Calhoun county and continued in this vocation until 1876, when he came to Harrison county and purchased land in Jefferson township. He died in 1901. Mrs. Small's mother died in Michigan in 1872. She was a native of that state and the mother of six children, Mrs. Mary Case, deceased; Albert, deceased; Mr. Ida Henderson, of Harrison county; Etta, the wife of Mr. Small; Mrs. Lora Case, of Logan, Iowa, and Hiram, who lives in Jefferson township.
To John F. and Etta D. (Tripp) Small two children have been born, Winona and Lisle. Winona, born in 1883, in Cass township, Harrison county, married Clyde R. Peasley, and lives on a farm in Washington township. She was graduated from the Persia schools and then took a summer course at the Woodbine Normal School. She also was graduated from the University of Music and Art at Lincoln, Nebraska, and has taught music and art in the Logan and Missouri Valley grade schools. She also taught in the Persia schools for a number of years. Lisle, born in 1895, at Persia, has made wonderful progress in his educational career, and Mr. and Mrs. Small are extremely proud of the progress he has made. He is now a student in the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland.
John F. Small always has taken an active interest in the welfare of the county where he lives. He has always been a Republican, and in the campaign of 1898 was nominated on the Republican ticket for sheriff of Harrison county, but was defeated for election. He is now city clerk of Persia, which office he has held four terms. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias, at Persia, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Small attend church, but they are not active members. The Small family are well known in Harrison county and eminently deserve the respect which is accorded them by all people with whom they have come into contact.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 677, 678, 679 Family Researcher: NA
Hon. Joe H. SMITH -
Few of the early settlers in Harrison county, Iowa, entered more fully into and became more conspicuous in the warp and woof of the times in which he lived and operated, individually and historically, than did Hon. Joe H. Smith, now deceased, for many years a well-known attorney at Logan, this county. To his memory let it be recorded here that he was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1833 in what is now Lawrence county. He studied at Westminster College at Wilmington and later studied law at Canfield, Mahoning county. Ohio. He was admitted to the bar April 14, 1857, and at once sought the then �far west,� the same year arriving at and commencing to practice law in the little pioneer hamlet of Magnolia, this county � then the county seat. In 1859 he returned to Pennsylvania and married Julia Ann Warrick, to which union six children were born, Law P., Mary M., Palmer, John I., Tad L. and Thomas C.
Upon the opening of the Civil War, Mr. Smith was a member of the board of county supervisors of Harrison county. He enlisted and went to the front. Through his zeal and patriotism, in one day, a full company of men enlisted for the Union cause. In 1858 Mr. Smith was elected the first county school superintendent of Harrison county. In 1864 he was elected county recorder and in 1867 was elected to a seat in the Iowa Legislature, where he made an excellent record in behalf of his constituents in Shelby and Harrison counties. In 1888 he wrote a creditable history of Harrison county. He stood high at the Harrison county bar and was connected with nearly every case tried, on one side or the other, for many years. Mr. Smith was a pleasing speaker and graphic writer. He could be mild as a woman and could also lay on right and left when necessity demanded. He was fearless and independent in all his actions and will be remembered, in and outside the legal fraternity, perhaps longer than most men, because of his peculiar personality. On January 22, 1893, he passed from the earthly courts. Peace to his ashes.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 667 Family Researcher: NA